Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    WEREN'T THERE 2 PEOPLE WHO HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE
    REAREND WHINING?
    ALSO SOME OF THE MANUAL TRANS CARS HAD GEAR PROBS.

I see I am not the only on here who is easily entertained.
  • automoleautomole Member Posts: 154
    >Or, by simply locating the caps lock... :-)

Or by reading previous posts and being "In" on the joke ;)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    All this shouting is keeping me awake.

;-)
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I only had a CTS for 24 hours(courtesy of the GM 24 hour test drive), but when I was on the freeway, I had a real problem keeping at speeds near the limit. At one point when I thought I was doing about 65 or 70(judging by the level of road noise) I looked down and was doing 90. And this was in a 55 MPH zone. And this was an 03 model with the 3.2 liter engine. I can only imagine what one with the 3.6 or(gulp) the V-series is like. Speaking of the V, the issue of Autoweek FINALLY came two days ago. I have to say, that silver looks very nice. I assume the silver which is available on the V-series is the same color that regular CTSs come in as well. While blue or black still look sharper in my eye, having owned a black car for over two years now, I can attest it is a pain to keep clean. And with the 90 degree temps that we have been having lately, it can be very toasty as well. So I might actually consider a silver CTS.
  • jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    It's the chassis tuning and sound level (aerodynamics and wind-sealing) far more than the engine that have anything to do with how comfortable a car is cruising at high speeds. A BMW 520d is a nicer 100+mph cruiser than any old musclecar.

The engine makes 80-140mph passing much nicer, though...
  • mbdalembdale Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the comments - the 2003 CTS sounds excellent for a first year model.

Sorry about the capital letters only - its tough to work with one finger for most Canadians!
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    Sorry if this has already been explained a while back, but when the 3.6L gets the manual sometime next year, will the 3.2L be discontinued? It seems that there are a number of other cars in the GM lineup that could use the 3.2L (the new Malibu comes to mind).
    3.2L will be discontinued. The 3.6L will be the Global V6.
    The last thing GM needs is a odd firing 54 degree engine that needs it's timing belts changed.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Better erase that post !

You know those pushrod engine haters will be carrying on how superior their belt driven OHCs are ! LOL.............

I don't mean any of you people here either !
    Just the anti GM crowd that love their drivable appliances............................geo
  • tetedepierretetedepierre Member Posts: 62
    Have been reading the messages from day one and very impressed with the know how of all of you.

I am looking at two identical (except for color) demos. The one I like best has a build date of 11/13/02. The other 1/22/03. Will anyone venture an opinion on whether I should let build dates influence me? In service dates are within a month and miles are about the same.
    Is anyone that reads this forum running 18" wheels on their CTS? I just wondered what aftermarket tire size/wheel people are buying. I've found probably 20 different wheels that I like but all are 7-7.5" wide and I need at least an 8" rim if I want to use a 245/40/18 tire. All of my top choices use the smaller rim.

tetedepierre: I'd buy the one in the COLOR that you like and not worry about a build date.
    I posted several wheel sites a couple of months ago.
    There were some 8" wide wheels in there but a lot of the stuff was bling bling looking.
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    tete, the one item that I can think of that might be important given those build dates are the airbags. Sometime near the end of '02 the airbags were modified resulting in better crash test results. The Jan '03 almost certainly is after the transition and even the Nov '02 likely is (Sept sticks in my mind as about when the transition occurred). There was a discussion on this board about it some time back that may be helpful if you can find it.
  • redgtconvredgtconv Member Posts: 46
    It was October of 2002 that GM made changes to the airbags, which were inflating too late, as well as other structural modifications. If you check the crash tests, you will see that prior to Oct. 2002, late inflating airbags caused head injuries and there was also leg intrusion and injury to the driver. The car was re-tested after October 2002 and became a "Best Pick" for safety.
    So the key date would be Oct. 2002.
    I've been following this thread since it started probably 2 years ago(I think it got started by some spy shots of the CTS caught during filming of the Matrix Reloaded) and have been very impressed with the few recurring problems that owners have experienced. Not all bad for the first year of a totally new design which was built at a totally new assembly center.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    The 3.2 litre engine in the new Opel Vectra GSi (malibu, except it wasn't hit with an ugly stick) is a downsized version of the new 60 degree GM v6. The new 3.2 that will be put into some of GM's new models here in the US will be a 60 degree v6 with a TIMING CHAIN.
  • jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    The 3.2 in the Vectra is the 54-degree British-built Opel engine, just like the CTS.

The 3.6 gets all kinds of good stuff, from continuously-variable cam timing on both cams to chain cam drive etc.

If and when they do a smaller version, it might show up in the Vectra, but I doubt GM cares that much because the gas V6 will probably account for 0.01% of Euro-market Vectra sales anyway.

The vast majority will be diesels, and the remainder will be smaller gas engines.
    I like that....lexus 300 sales DOWN 12.2%

Caddy (or CTS) up 69%.............WOW
  • johnnycskjohnnycsk Member Posts: 29
    I read on the AP that the power was out in Lansing Michigan. Is power restored yet? I know in New York City power was restored in the early morning.
  • tyler80tyler80 Member Posts: 20
    Lansing State Journal discussing 'power on' statis. Does not specificially discuss LGR Plant Statis.

http://www.lsj.com/news/local/030815webupdate_powercompan.html
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    >>Sorry if this has already been explained a while
    >>back, but when the 3.6L gets the manual sometime
    >>next year, will the 3.2L be discontinued? It seems
    >>that there are a number of other cars in the GM
    >>lineup that could use the 3.2L (the new Malibu
    >>comes to mind).

The 3.6L (High Feature) will be the only choice.
    The Malibu gets the new High Value 3.5L rated at
    200HP/220 ft-lbs. Excellent fuel economy with
    this 3.5L. The '04 Malibu is EPA rated 32/23
    mated to a 4 speed automatic. The CTS 3.6L
    should have better fuel economy than it does.
    26/18 is pretty low. That's the same as the BMW
    4.4L V8 on the 745i.
    -Thanks for the heads-up on your previous post. I did a search and found the link to the Ronal wheels you posted.

As I've said, I've found plenty of 7.5" wide 18" wheels I like but no 8" wide rims.

The other problem I'm having is the "bling bling". Many of the wheels look too "bling bling" as you said, and the other ones look to classic muscle car and/or like they should be on some kid's Honda. I want something in-between...a touch of bling w/ a little bit of muscle and sharp angles to go with the CTS's design.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    BETTER DOUBLE CHECK THAT VECTRA STAT. I'M PRETTY SURE THE new VECTRA HAS THE NEW UPDATED 60 DEGREE GLOBAL DESIGN. I'LL GO BACK AND DOUBLE CHECK THAT. THE OLD VECTRA HAS THE 54 DEGREE MILL BUT THE BRAND NEW VECTRA I THINK HAS THE NEW 3.2 60 DEGREE ONE. IT IS EVEN REFERRED TO AS THE ECOTEC.
  • eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    Check this out.... I think it would look awesome on a CTS.

http://www.bestbuywheels.com/boze/stinger.htm

Not cheap, though!!
  • mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    Time to go look up the CTS's value on a future trade??????
    Kelly has the CTS 2003 finally posted.I am pleasantly surprised at the higher than expected trade in value at least on my check with my options. . Manual or auto seems to make no difference.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Michigan is in bad shape for power. Here in Ontario it's better but all auto plants were down to conserve power from what I have heard. Only about 2/3 of people here have power even now.
  • calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    Now that the story of the -V is coming out, I'm consumed by the possibility I could own one. I love driving my CTS. It has had none of the little glitches others have written about other than slight condensation in the rear bezel (that has not re occurred since late spring). And I just turned over 7300 miles at the one year anniversary of ownership (got the little greeting card from HQ the other day). Resale should be excellent right now. Given all this I could easily convince myself I'm an idiot if I don't run out and buy a -V as soon as they arrive. All especially true after reading those articles and seeing the finished product on the course. Arrrgh! Someone help! Am I insane to even consider this???
    It was only a matter of time.
    CTS-V will be campaigned and factory supported in SCCA racing next year!!
    Look out Audi and BMW.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Do you mean ostentatious or with opulence. I guess "bling bling "is for those with poor language skills.
    What about the 3.0 liter V6 in the Saturn L-series? Isn't that also the 54 degree V6?
    Means "money". And showing it off.
  • calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    B$Z... (shift 4 is $ to go along with the bling thing) ... where'd you find that SCCA data out?
    >Do you mean ostentatious or with opulence. I guess
    >"bling bling "is for those with poor language
    >skills.

I don't think that "ostentatious" OR "opulence" implies the "tackiness" or "lack of taste" that I personally associate with "bling bling". If you (with your superior language skills) can think of a better way to describe the cheesey looking chrome wheels that every Honda kid, sports star, rock musician, AND their pimp are putting on their cars, by all means...feel free to post it! ;)
    Don't you think all ostentatious opulence has a certain degree of "tackiness and lack of taste". "Tackiness" can be mild or ridiculous, such as leaving the price tag on your so called "bling bling ."
  • johnnycskjohnnycsk Member Posts: 29
    Can you find out the GMS price for:

VIN: 1G6DM577240106545
    Exterior: Black Raven
    Interior: Ebony Interior Trim
    MSRP:* $ 42,535.00

SARANT CADILLAC-OLDSMOBILE
    4339 HEMPSTEAD TURNPIKE, FARMINGDALE, NY 11735-2093

I was thinking about getting this one. TIA!!!
    Get with the PROGRAM !

Them bling-bling wheels are now called "DUBS"
    LOL.....Can tell you guys have no teens at home !
    WOW....Raven Black...That baby is LOADED out!
    GM employee price $37,264. Try offering $1500
    over that....Still no coupons yet!

Hey, they do have a base black 3.6 auto $29,166 tho.
    Man that 7k difference is a lot of jingle !......
    22 04s in stock! ................geo
    blingbling refers to things like chrome, etc.

dubs are 20" wheels.
    I think Jordans are 22"

I am feeling really old right now.LOL.
    A local Chev dealer is listing a lux sport coupe ,auto 4K mi for 29.9
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/

Try looking up dubs, jordans, and bling bling...gotta' keep up with the lingo when you're rollin' in your whips.
    Have a laugh !

Go over to the smart shopper thread and check out
    "any questions for a car dealer"

Those guys are trying to figure out these new slang terms !.................LOL

Word UP!..............geo
  • dhannahiiidhannahiii Member Posts: 14
    wwhite;
    Go for it; that a good price, if it is a loaded luxsport package. See if it has the HED lights also? I paid 30k for mine with 5,500 miles, fully loaded luxsport, all extra included, but no Bose or Nav package. I had the local Cadillac dealer change the oil last Thursday, the car now has 10,350 miles after four weeks of ownership. I really enjoy driving it everyday. The tachometer reads 3,000 doing 92 mph on the back roads of Central Texas, holds the road beautifully.
    When I was in college a few years ago, we used the expression "rollin 20 deep on some twinkies" when we saw a vehicle with the aforementioned dubs. I like the factory chrome wheels on my Intrigue, but they do attract attention of the dub, bling bling, jordan, twinkies, etc. crowd.
    b4z: I did a search and looked at the Ronal wheels you posted the link for...they're nice but I'm not sure they're exactly what I'm looking for...I wan't something a little bit more unusual.

eaton53: Thanks for the wheel link. Although the wheel you linked to would look great and is 8" wide it's a little bit out of my price range...I did look around the website however, and stumbled upon the MKW MK12. I'll be putting the MK12 on my 'short list' of possible wheels.

I'm glad to see that the CTS seems to have decent resale value although a used CTS would be a good bargain for someone since there's STILL plenty of depreciation. -Just think wwhite2, you can pick up that lux sport whip and still have money left over for some bling bling dubs!

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm using my extra refinancing money for wheels or paying it back to principal and trying to trade my current CTS in on a 2004...it doesn't look likely that I'll find a 2004 that I want on the local dealer's lot and/or get the coupon in time to do anything by Sept2 so I'm leaning toward the rims.

calicadi: I've been lusting over the CTS-V too. I've been wanting another V8 ever since I sold my Mustang Cobra. If the economy would ever pick up I could sell some stock options and POSSIBLY afford one...and I've already got my wife "prepped" on the idea of me buying a "midlife crisis" car in the next couple of years. If I get a CTS-v I can still fit the kid in the back!
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Had my instrument cluster replaced this morning by my local Cadillac dealer. The job only took about fifteen minutes. So far my clocks are synchronized. The mileage had to be set on the cluster prior to shipping to the dealer. Shipping time was only 24 hours. It may be my imagination, but I would swear the numbers on my speedometer are larger than what was on my original cluster. While waiting for the work to be completed I walked out on the dealer lot and took a look at the three 2004's in stock. I was surprised to note that one of the 04's had moisture inside the license plate lens. We did have much rain over this past weekend. Apparently the inside lens moisture problem has not been totally fixed. My 03 has a build date of Oct. 2002 and I do not have the moisture problem. I am close to 9,000/miles on my CTS and the only problem so far was the clock problem. I have enjoyed every mile.
    Are any of you guys considering the SRX?

I am more than a little concerned about the rear
    seat legroom in the CTS as everyone in my family is 6' or taller.
    I am almost 6'8".

The SRX has over 40" of backseat legroom.

I held off buying the CTS in July because i was taking my parents up to the montains and knew they wouldn't be as comfortable in a CTS. Plus the trunk is much smaller.

With the Impala I can pull the seat up a couple of inches. No way could I do that in the CTS. Also the seats are lower to the floor in the CTS as is the windshield header.

I am trying to decide if i should keep the Impala and sell it to my mom and buy the CTS or just go with a SRX.
    I have been pondering the SRX too. Kids are growing like weeds! Not enough room in my Deville to keep them apart! The BOSS sez maybe its the dreaded mini van or SUV time ! Seems every day my chances of a CTS are growing SLIMMER!

BUMMER ! Give up my Caddy? I doubt it!

SRX with the Northstar might fill the bill!
    Maybe I can have my cake and EAT it too ! ...geo
    My last paragraph was a little confusing.
    it should have said: I am trying to decide if I should keep the Impala in the family and sell it to my mom. This would allow me to buy the smaller CTS. Or get rid of the Impala altogether and buy the SRX.

The SRX has the room and the utility that the CTS does not.