Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    To ask for directions if necessary.
    That information is also free.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    but, if up to date, they are a very inexpensive way to find your way around. NAV systems are expensive toys for people who either don't like maps, can't read one, or have to have the latest gadgets no matter what.

When a navigation system costs about the same as a basic PC (under $500) maybe I'll get one. But, by that time they'll be as ubiquitous as CD players.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    with software that covers all of the U.S. & most of Canada can be had for $400 or less. It has a small screen, is monochrome & is portable (which I consider an advantage).

I never leave the county without my Garmin. Works in both cars at home, any rental car, and the airplane (with a window seat).

What's not to like? Oh yeah, I know. Zero snob appeal, just function.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • budbud Member Posts: 3
    The dealer replaced the Billet grill with a Mesh grill and the winning stopped.
  • calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    Today, Friday July 2, at 5 pm Pacific, Speed TV's Test Drive show is scheduled to feature the CTS-V. Scheduled re-broadcast is Saturday at 7:30 pm PDT.
  • mbukukanyaumbukukanyau Member Posts: 200
    Is the Redesign of the CTS due?
    "The dealer replaced the Billet grill with a Mesh grill and the winning stopped."

Does it look as good as the one on the V?
    If it does, I'm going to want one.
    "Is the Redesign of the CTS due?"

Not 'till '07, I believe.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    I opted not to get a Nav System on my 03 CTS, believing these systems were the ultimate in decadence and a threat to our judeo-christian society.
    Last year I bought an 04 Lexus GX470 off the lot which included a Nav system. I have become so dependant on the Nav system that I now drive the Lexus anytime I am unsure of exactly which turn to take, etc.
    I will definitely get the Nav system on any future vehicle purchase.
    I have come up with a somewhat clumsy but very workable navigation system for the CTS using a laptop computer running Microsoft Streets and Maps with my Magellan GPS receiver hooked in via the serial port. It doesn't give you verbal instructions but otherwise works fine and does provide an intersection by intersection listing on the screen. The only problem is the placement of the laptop and the suction cup attachment of the GPS to the windshield. Since I normally take the laptop along on any trips anyway there is little extra luggage.
    Just one man's solution.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Member Posts: 44
    Anyone know when the '05's are due in showrooms and what the changes my be?
  • budbud Member Posts: 3
    Actually the mesh grill looks great. Looking from the front it does look like the V. The mesh grill is a little more expensive than the Billet gril but dealer charged me nothing due to all the problems I had. I am 40 miles from the dealer and they had my sales person sent to my house to pick up the CTS so they could install the mesh grill. This was done in one day. Also a nice touch the sales guy I was working with purchased and installed front and rear chrome licence plate holders. Looks 100% better than that cheep piece of crap that comes with the car.
  • richerryricherry Member Posts: 19
    Dont buy a 2004 or 2005 CTS model unless it has a dual mode cell phone. Dual mode will not come out till 2006 or later. Make sure you read in the brochure that a dual mode comes with it. My dealer service mgr and salesman all thought the CTS 2004 all came with dual mode. What a lie.

My 2004 CTS is cell phone is analog and is not worth the powder to blow it to hell as it wont work in my driveway, and I am only a block away from a Sprint tower, and I am on the top of a hill, where I can see the tower from the upstairs.! Have had many conversation with On Star support and the dealer says it is normal.

They promised a recall last Dec. but now they say it will NEVER be changed.

They are now promising an upgrade package in 2007, at my cost, when analog will disappear FOR EVER.

Ray
    "Dont buy a 2004 or 2005 CTS model unless it has a dual mode cell phone."

I don't even have a cell phone.
    Besides, I buy a car based on how it drives, not whether I can talk on the phone in it or not.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Nav is bad then so is power window, door locks , seats , seat heaters fuel injection and so on . Hey why not just by an old LaSalle it will have all the necessary equipment without the useless options .!
    "Nav is bad then so is power window, door locks , seats , seat heaters fuel injection"

Right.... try reaching the rear windows in a sedan from the driver's seat. Power seats are much easier to adjust to achieve the optimum driving condition, seat heaters increase cold weather comfort and fuel injection improves performance and economy.

Navigation falls under useless tech, like idrive. Not worth one cent to me.
    The STS has the same array of wizardly as the idrive BMW’s but with better touch screen user interface, trust Americans to keep it simple and practical
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You mean like the dual clocks in the original CTS which could not be kept in sync requiring GM to replace the instrument cluster? Instead of just putting in one clock in the first place?
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    My but arn't we opinionated. What WE like or find useful is good, what others like is useless tech. Ever consider anyone else's needs or desires?

And bye the way, where do you find someone to ask at 2am out in the boondocks?
    "What WE like or find useful is good, what others like is useless tech. Ever consider anyone else's needs or desires?"

Well, it's MY car.... they can keep it optional so you can have it. But if I'm buying a used car and its on there, I will not pay one cent extra for it as it's of no value to me.

"And by the way, where do you find someone to ask at 2am out in the boondocks?"

I'm not out anywhere at 2am.
    Nav/voice recognition is great technology . I guess it could be intimidating to some . It does require some work and thought to utilize it completely . I know some who are still intimidated by telephone answering machines. Thank goodness the VCR is dying it was really tough to program the clocks !
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    1.9% for 60 months.
    "I guess it could be intimidating to some . It does require some work and thought to utilize it completely."

It's not that intimidating. I have all sorts of electronic gizmos in my home.... my home theater is more complex than any nav system.

My problem with it is that it's an expensive solution to a simple problem. I rather they take the money they put into this stuff and put it into thicker carpets or better interior materials.
    The 2004 & 2005 CTS will not have Digital Hardware. See the info below from On Star magazine. My 2004 CTS has an ANALOG
    cell phone with 1990 technology!!On Star support and the dealer says it cannot be changed.

OnStar support in Sept 2003 said it would be recalled in Dec 2003.But that never happened.

From OnStar magazine Summer 2004
    OnStar subscribers who have SELECT 2004 and newer vehicles with Digital Hardware will soon have a new wireless option.*
    Naturally. OnStar Personal Calling as you know it will continue to be available. Or. later this year, subscribers would also have the opportunity to link a handheld cell phone from a designated wireless carrier to the OnSlar hands-free wireless phone built into their vehicle.
    With this new wireless choice, OnStar subscribers would be able to purchase minute plans through a designated wireless carrier and combine wireless phone minutes on one single bill. The new plan would require one-year contracts with both OnStar and the wireless carrier.
    Watch future issues of this magazine for more information as it becomes available and, for the latest information, see onstar.com.

*in SELECT markets
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A newspaper reporter is wondering if people are satisfied or dissatisfied with their vehicle navigation systems. Please send your brief comments and daytime contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, July 14, 2004.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    On the options list on this site for the 2005 CTS, it list a 5 speed shiftable automatic transmission, but it's not listed on other sites. Is this a typo, or is it a plan for later year models? I saw an 05 at one of the local dealers on Sunday, but it had the regular auto tranny in it. The dealer thinks not, but doesn't know for sure.

If it is an option, I'm going for the 05. This is the feature I've been waiting for. Makes driving in the mountains a breeze. My 03 is still hot, and almost paid off. Not a single problem at 25K miles. Well maybe one, I did lose one of the seatbelt buckle retaining buttons. Easy fix.

thebug...
    Wait until 2008 to buy a CTS other wise you may get analog, which is worthless!

GM has no plans to install digital phones in a CTS in 2005. See the attached below from OnStar magazine.

ONSTAR'S DIGITAL EVOLUTION
    The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) made a decision in November 2002 that may impact your OnStar service in the future.
    In early 2008, wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network in the U.S.

Currently, OnStar relies on a nationwide ANALOG wireless network because it provides the most extensive coverage.

OnStar wants to make you aware of this ruling and we want to assure you that your OnStar system will continue to be fully functional through 2007. As of January 1, 2008, however, OnStar will offer service only through equipment that operates on the digital network.
    OnStar subscribers with affected equipment will be contacted during 2007 with information on analog-to-digital transition programs.

If you happen to be in the market for a new vehicle, some OnStar-equipped vehicles are now available with digital equipment.
    For the latest information, please visit onstar.com/digital-transition.
    "Wait until 2008 to buy a CTS other wise you may get analog, which is worthless!"

So? I've got no intention of getting a phone or subscribing to OnStar. I'm much more interested in the '05 CTS 2.8's pricing.... hopefully around $28K base.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    that to many people, the car is just an enclosure for the real business at hand, the cell phone?

Wish I had a nickel for every car I saw being handled shall we say, strangely, that turned out to be driven by someone on the phone. Happens dozens of times every day, for me.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    "that to many people, the car is just an enclosure for the real business at hand, the cell phone?"

Yes, but I'm not and don't plan to be one of them. The government always needs money.... IMO, a fine way for them to make some would be to introduce hefty fines for folks who drive while talking on the phone.
  • 14781478 Member Posts: 2
    I think you are making a big mistake if you don't use synthetic. I have been told that the engine is a high performance engine and many high performance engines have oil coolers. No need for the cooler if you use the synthetic. This may be the reason GM requires synthetic. Why would they put their customers through extra expense and trouble?
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    eaton53,

Do you think the 2.8 will be underpowered? Even with a manuel trans I would think it would be underpowered.
  • jhl4jhl4 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the reply. I will get Mobil 1, on my next change. However, I'm a little concerned that the dealer I bought from and currently getting service from, is NOT offering this to customers.

I specifically asked about the requirement, and the reply was "we use 10w30. No synthetic oil".
    If you've driven an '03 CTS and think it's underpowered, then you'll probably think the 2.8 is underpowered. There's only 10 hp difference.

IMO, the '03 CTS motor is fine for power... the new motor is much more modern (basically the same as the 3.6) and no timing belts.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    eaton53,

I have an 2003 CTS and feel the power is adequate, but would like the extra horses of the 3.6. I plan to trade my 03 for an 05 next year. I have not driven the 3.6, but understand that it feels and sounds more refined than the 3.2.
    My 3.2 with the manual trans has plenty of power to get one into trouble . Saying that I plan on skipping past the 3.6 and move into a V because I really like those insurance surcharges .
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    I agree with the word "adequate" to describe the engine power in the 2003 CTS. "Adequate" is probably an appropriate word to describe nearly all aspects of the vehicle. There is little about the car to produce more laudatory superlatives.

The car handles well and corners great but the engine power, the sewing machine like sound of the V6, the many engineering and assembly deficiencies coupled with the marginal dealer service is not likely to make me a Cadillac repeat customer.

I have owned the CTS for 27 months and have since undergone the "Lexus experience". Having now owned a Lexus GX-470 for 6 months my experience is that Lexus operates in a totally different league. I realize there is a substantial increase in price for a Lexus but what a difference in service and product.
  • rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    We've had our 2003 since April of that year. Just turned 18k miles on the odo. Also just took our first long road trip, about 1200 miles. Both freeway and mountain driving. Car drove and ran flawlessly. The only two criticisms were the road noise (new tires will probably take care of that) and the seats weren't too sympathetic to my poor old butt and back on the 11 hr. drive down and 9 hr. drive back (different routes).
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    I certainly hope you don't rely on the oil life monitor to determine when to change that 10W30! Make sure it gets changed at 3000 miles and if I were you, I'd call GM and report that dealer as being non-compliant. I would also not give them my business. An old school shop like that may not believe in keeping up on their technician's training either.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I am sorry to hear that you are not more happy with the CTS.
    You were an early adopter.
    I have to say that my 4 test drives in the CTS echo what you are saying.
    After waiting for the 3.6L I thought that it would be the magic bullet that would take it over the top in the near luxury category.
    The 3.6L had tremendous power and the car felt very sporty but it was lacking in refinement.
    the engine was just a little too loud, and the road noise was just a little more than i wanted.
    We are talking degrees here. Maybe 2-3 db quieter and I would have felt better.
    Ultimately the lack of room made me go for the SRX.
    As soon as I drove the SRX I knew that there were
    improvements in sound insulation and some improvements in refinement.
    I think Caddy has realized this already and have gone the extra mile to make the STS more refined.
    Hopefully the next gen CTS will have those qualities too.
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    Hopefully Caddy will be able to upgrade the interior and refinement
    in in the next couple of MYs ('06/'07) without having to wait
    for a new generation of the CTS. Caddy should be able to reduce
    cabin noise by 2db or so without increasing weight, make the interior
    a little more luxurious, and increase the power. They'll need to do this due to increased competition from Infiniti (upgraded G35 interior
    and more power) and BMW with the next gen 3 Series. They need to keep
    up with the competition with the current CTS and surpass it clearly
    with the next generation.
  • scott1scott1 Member Posts: 50
    I had the same problem with Russ Darrow Cadillac in Waukesha, Wisconsin. I bought my 04 CTS from them in March, and they have already lost my future business because of incompetant service and a real bad attitide. I had a free oil change coming from them though, and took my car in a few weeks ago for that. Bottom line...they changed the oil, but did NOT use an oil that met the GM spec GM4718M, which is REQUIRED for the 3.6 engine in my car. I took it to an oil change place near my house the next morning and had their oil drained out and the proper 5W-30 Mobil 1 put in.

I'm not going to take a chance with a very expensive engine because of an incompetant Cadillac dealer. They should have their franchise revoked, and so should your dealer if they did the same.
    Scott ,
       There is nothing you can do with a bad service department . Cadillac doesn't care and would never "revoke" a dealership due to a poor service . If you ask Cadillac they will say " they are independent businesses and we cant control them " . Your only recourse is to stop going there .
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Had a similar experience at another nearby Waukesha dealer (Wilde Pontiac - actually used to have the Caddy franchise before they traded with Russ Darrow last December). Complained to Pontiac, even wrote a letter to Rick Wagoner (unanswered) explaining that they could make the best darn cars in the world, but if the service departments suck, they'll still lose business) and all I got was the "independent contractors/can't do anything about them" speech (even when the dealership lied to the Pontiac rep about mailing out my rental-car reimbursement check - she admitted she was lied to).

I sometimes wonder when the spiral will stop.

--Robert
    who is buying a new GM car, but not from Wilde or Russ Darrow :-)
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    They are independent dealers but they operate under a franchise which the factory can refuse to renew if they fail to meet the agreed terms thereof.

I cannot say if it was caused directly by their bad service, but I personally know of two dealers who lost their franchises after exhibiting poor customer service. A Ford dealership in New York which repeatedly failed to provide proper service for my fathers Thunderbird, and Magic Mountain Cadillac that provided screwed up service on my 1988 Cimmarron. Both were under new management the following year, The first selling Pontiacs and the second still selling Cadillacs.

I have occasion to contact Cadillac dealers in locations across the country. Most have been very accommodating. Some not so. My own dealer's (Rydell, Northridge, CA) service department goes the extra mile to provide good service and I would recommend them to anyone. Service departments in Phoenix, Santa Fe, Atlanta, Colorado Springs and other places have done their best to accomodate me and give me quick service as a traveler. I can remember only one service department, in Cheyenne, WY who would not schedule me for several days even though I had several check lights. I continued on to Colorado Springs where I had everything checked out.
    From the evidence I have seen you really have to be horrendous then maybe , probably not the manufacturer would act . As stated after my post they love to use " they are independent businesses and we have no control". If the dealer is moving product the manufacturer will keep quiet.
  • scott1scott1 Member Posts: 50
    ""Had a similar experience at another nearby Waukesha dealer (Wilde Pontiac - actually used to have the Caddy franchise before they traded with Russ Darrow last December).""

I did find a great Cadillac service dept to replace Russ Darrow.

Crest Cadillac in Brookfield, Wisconsin has been everything a Cadillac Dealer should be. They treated me great, even though I didn't buy my CTS there, they had a willingness to fix the problem I was having...and most important...they had the expertise to fix it right the first time, BRAVO!
    Scott, a dealership like that is a keeper . I have found one like that too. None of the " we will fix it right after the third time"
    You nailed it
  • tetedepierretetedepierre Member Posts: 62
    On July 8th at long last I took delivery of a White Diamond CTS including the Luxury Sports package and an XM Satellite radio. I didn't particularly want the color or the radio but now that I have them am really pleased. Never liked white but this white is different and we play the XM channels all the time. Buying experience was good and so far the post delivery service at Vero Cadillac has been excellent.

Have a little over 500 miles on it now and it drives like a dream with nary a rattle.

Only complaint is OnStar. The local provider must be lousy. Can connect rarely and as for using it as a phone forget it. I get some roaming service that wants a dollar to connect and a buck a minute. The dealer is looking into it. So far have used 20 of my 30 minutes and never spoken to anyone. I think that part of the problem may be the town's fault. I remember that a couple of years ago they would not permit a new tower because of its appearance.

Not many posts recently so don't know if anyone will read this but I am so happy with the car and the dealer I wanted to share.

Am now investigating the Zaino board as I am going to clean and polish this car myself.
  • luxosportluxosport Member Posts: 22
    My 2004 3.6 CTS runs great and in this Texas heat has not shown signs of overheating even on a long hot drive from Dallas to Houston and back. My question is that I keep it garaged and find that even with moderate use and after several hours in the garage, the hood and fender areas are still extremely hot. Is this normal?
    My previous cars were never this hot. Are any of you experiencing this?