Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    I bought my CTS in May of 2002. It's been almost perfect over the last 2 1/2 years and 30K miles.

The only problems I've experienced were a mis-routed cable, around the gas filler tube, and a bad airbag sensor(after 28K miles). Both problems were fixed quickly by my dealer. They are courteous and professional, a reason I chose to get my oil changed there. The dealer always has "service specials" that give me a chance to talk to the service staff and sales people.

My next door neighbor has had his Lexus in for service (for problems) four times in the last year and a half.

Nothing is perfect, but my CTS has been a wonderful car to drive and a pleasure to own. I hope that Cadillac continues to improve it and to listen to the people who have had problems.

I would not hesitate in replacing our CTS with another, newer CTS, at some point in time.

Besides, the only whine I've ever heard is here on Edmunds.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    Hey all...........Long time no post.
    Glad your all lovin' your CTS..........

I still am rolling in my 03 Deville. A CTS is too small for my bunch. Still droollin' for one!

Hey Bill W. I am in NJ right now after the Snow plow BBQ. The local giant used Caddy dealer on Rt. 73 in Palmyra has a used V advertised........

Gonna head down today and schmooze the sales guy and get a demo ride...Maybe a overnite.
    Wanna ride that monster V !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will post if I get lucky!
  • tetedepierretetedepierre Member Posts: 62
    Brought the car in last week and dealer said they thought the front tires were cupping a bit at 6500 miles and should be rotated and this would probably cure the noise. I felt this was bs but what the hell I let them do it. And it didn't fix the noise. Brought it in again today and they are ordering a new rear end and replacing it next Monday. They don't guarantee that it will fix the noise though. They claim it is endemic on rear wheel drive cars.
  • mjmorrowmjmorrow Member Posts: 15
    Hey All – I’m having the same whine(moan) on the differential. I have 11K on my 04 CTS, the whine started at about 8K after they fixed the differential valves. Apparently when the differential was made they didn’t vent it properly and it built pressure up causing the differential to leak. With in 3 weeks of each differential fix, I would imagine I lost most of the fluid. A mechanic friend has told me that if the fluid level is too low, it will cause the differential to burn hotter causing metal shaving to create in the remaining fluid, thus causing at slight whine or moan. The CTS goes in today, and I have told them this problem wasn’t here when I bought the car and only started after they attempted to fix it. The service guy heard the sound and said that it was normal, but I told him I don’t think so. My noise starts around 35-40 mph, and leaves when you let off the gas pedal. But at 70-75 mph on the expressway the noise is intensified, and is very annoying. Has anyone had resolution if they replace the whole rear differential?

MK
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    My 2003 CTS LuxSport automatic has nearly 40K miles on it now. So far, here's the list of things that have happened:

C-pillar curtain air bag sail panel came loose twice. Fixed under warranty both times.

Dashboard clock not matching time with radio clock. Fixed under warranty (new dash cluster). Curiously this happened again recently and later it corrected itself, so I think there is something to the new dash cluster.

Part of rubber dam under front bumper disappeared...probably I ran over something and it fell off. Was repaired.

Tires replaced per recall.

Steering column tightened per recall.

Otherwise, no drivetrain issues to speak of. Front brake pads were replaced about 5000 miles ago (along with one rotor...I'd let it get down too far...my fault). The only rattle I can tell is one involving the passenger seat and it's not consistent. It also never happened when someone is sitting there. It hasn't happened enough for me to want to get it fixed.

As far as comments about dealers, I would agree that the right dealer makes all the difference. When I visit my dealer in Nashville (Andrews Cadillac), I'm always treated with respect and fairly. The owner is around most of the time and always has time to talk with you as well as his son. He's offered (and I've accepted) use of his conference room where I can conduct business while I wait on my car to be serviced. I've seen a lot of other customers there and talked to their sales people on numerous occasions and cannot say that I've ever seen a high pressure sales tactic.
  • cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    I learned my lesson last year driving the stock all-season tires through the winter. Just had four Blizzak WS-50's installed. The WS-50 is the "hardcore" snow tire (there are some more performance oriented Blizzaks, but I want all the snow/ice grip I can get). There has been interest here in the past about snow tire performance. I'll try to update when I get a chance to have it out in snow. FYI: you cannot "downsize" to a 15" wheel (I was thinking of going with a with a narrower 205 15" tire on dedicated steel wheels but there isn't enough clearance for the calipers with 15" wheels).
    It took my dealer two working days to get a new differential. I brought it in Monday morning at 8:00 m and got a Deville loaner. At 5:00 I was called to say job done and pick it up any time this morning Tuesday. Got it at about ten am. Guess what? No whine. Asked what was wrong and was told all they know is that rear end was defective. They got a new one and sent the old one back to Cadillac. It sure pays off to have a good dealer.
  • ottomatic99ottomatic99 Member Posts: 2
    Had rear end whine problem in wife's CTS at 4000 miles, was fixed in November of 03 by replacing differential. Shortly after we began to notice front end Whine - very intermittent, low speed. Kept coming back from Dealer as can't duplicate condition. I finally made a 5 minute audio tape of whine with accompanying narrative of driving speed, road surface, etc. This got service supervisor's attention who then had a tech ride with me after car had sat all night. (never whinned when totally warmed up). Finally got it to whine for him and car went back to shop last month October 04. Using electronic chassis ears tech diagnosed problem as faulty Air Cleaner Resonator. Tech replaed one F - Resonator. This seemed to have corrected problem at first but have noticed occaisonal whine. Now at 17000 miles, car is going back into shop next week. I hope they're closing in on the real problem because we really like the car.
    My question for you gear heads out there is "what does an Air Cleaner Resonator do"???

Any info is appreciated
  • cantaxguycantaxguy Member Posts: 3
    I have been unable to plot a navigation course using phone numbers on my '04 lux sport.

My dealer didn't even know there was such an option.

I'm in Canada ... hopefully that's not the cause of my problem.

Has anyone else had difficulty (or success) with this feature?
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    My 2003 CTS (Lux Package) just blew through the 50,000 mile mark last week. I have owned my CTS for less than two years, I travel much in my work. My CTS is the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned. Love the handling and strong engine, the auto trans is a great trans too. I am seriously considering replacing my CTS with another CTS in the spring of next year. My warranty has expired and I am a little nervous. My gripes are the numerous problems I have had with my CTS. Some of the problems are listed below:

1) Had instrument cluster replaced for clock sync problem. Clock problem came back after one month. Apparently no fix so I decided to live with it.

2) Anti lock brakes were activating for no apparent reason. Had a module replaced which solved the problem.

3) Had CD player replaced due to CD's jamming. The CD and radio is one unit so when I had the unit replaced I had radio reception problems. The unit was replaced again and now reception is better, but not as good as it should be.

4) Had two rattles which my Caddy dealer did a good job of tracking down and fixing.

5) Had two rear panels covering air bags replaced due to poor workmanship.

6) I have the rear end whine from time to time. I could not duplicate at dealer so I will live with this. My gut tells me GM is aware of this problem, but does not want to correct it.

I have owned ten cars over my lifetime and have had more problems with my CTS than any car that I have owned. The CTS being so fun to drive helps me overlook the problems. I hope for the 2005 model year GM will fix the rear end differential whine problem. I also wish the engine had a more refined sound and feel. Again, I plan to replace my CTS with another CTS next spring. The strong engine and great handling will bring me back.
  • pmcppmcp Member Posts: 8
    My 03 CTS stick is a GREAT car. Only problem was the clock which was replaced. Moved so have had 2 local dealers who are great. Got the new tires on recall. Love driving the stick !!! Still have original brakes as I down shift. Considering the V or a 05 corvette conv.
  • jjmjjm Member Posts: 5
    Just noticed that the GM Media site now has the 3.6L for 33,135. By my count that's the 3rd increase from the "original" 2005 price.

Also, what's going on with the color costs? The buypower site now shows a $400 credit for all colors except Red Line and White Diamond, which cost $595 extra.
    What Cadillac is doing is setting themselves up for another car that will need to be rebated to move. My local Caddy dealer has not moved a CTS in about two months and early STS sales are very slow.
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    Maybe they are, but right now this car is hot. The sticker is up over $3K from the original price in early 2002 and they keep moving. Granted that $3K increase includes a newer engine.

I think what they are doing is smart from a business perspective. The 2003's had the 3.2L engine. In 2004 they come out with the 3.6L engine. 2005 features the 3.6L manual and the 2.8L. Don't know what is planned for 2006, but 2007 is supposed to be the next generation. They're keeping the product fresh instead of the usual GM syndrome (7 model years of the same crap with different paint colors)
  • micsmimicsmi Member Posts: 1
    I have been to 2 Cadillac dealers, I have a 2003 CTS, and both recommend much more be done at each service than the manual. Also, they recommend service more often. I know that the manufacturer tries to minimize the cost of owning the car when developing service schedules. In today's environment, can you just follow the service schedule that came with the car and keep it in good running order?
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I plan on following what the manual recommends. Dealers exist for only one reason and that is profit. If Cadillac will honor my warranty for only doing what it recommends, then that is what I will do.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Just remember that the manual differentiates between normal and hard driving, and hard driving can be short trips around town, or driving in a dusty situation.

Also make sure you get rid of the car before the warranty runs out.
    I have always assumed that I am in severe driving conditions. Even if I am not, at least I'll be safe. As far as keeping it past warranty, I tend to trade cars when they need tires, so that hasn't been a problem for me.
    Be careful, these days your tires can outlast your warranttee.

Cadillac replaced my tires under warrantee at about 20K miles, so I expect the car will have at least 60K miles before the tires need replacing.
    I plan on using snow tires in the winter too. That could slow down my vicious trade cycle and stop all of my inequity problems. I hope I can keep it 3 years.
    You had better get an extended warranty. lol
  • gator5000egator5000e Member Posts: 90
    Does anyone who owns an 05 CTS have an opinion they are willing to post? Have the problems posted here regarding previous model years been resolved?

I have received what seems to be a pretty nice lease offer on a Luxury/Sports package CTS.

Thanks in advance.
    Most of the early buyers seem to be satisfied with their cars, that is the '03 owners. The amount of traffic on this board has greatly diminished as of '04 and '05. From what I have seen whether or not problems have been resolved depends on the quality of your dealer. I for one have had excellent response from my dealer's service department and any problems that I have had have been promptly attended to. Others on the board have complained that their dealers ignored or poorly serviced their problems, although I would say they are a distinct minority.

That said, I would try to speak with some of the dealer's customers before I selected a new dealer to sell and service my car.
  • bagsbags Member Posts: 12
    Hi,
    I've read lots of posts about the rear end whine in the CTS and lots of people who had them replaced by Cadillac. I haven't seen a single one that said the rear end failed or broke down. Mine has 3500 miles at this point and sometimes with the windows down and no A/C turned on you can hear the whine noise. But other times I don't even notice it. I'm wondering why everybody is so upset about it. You have a 48,000 mile warranty.
    I don't think that many 05 owners have had their cars long enough or put enough miles on them to develop a strong opinion. I have less that 1000 miles on mine, and can say so far everything is fine.
  • RobberbarronRobberbarron Member Posts: 39
    Ok, so 12,500 miles and I've burnt through my first set of tires. I'm not road crossing the car, but I do drive it really hard. I rotate at every oil change.

How many miles have other CTS owners gotten out of their tires? I have the Lux package with the 16s.

What would you recommend replacing the tires with?
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    That's crazy! Even if you drive like a maniac. What's the tire pressure you run? And did they wear out evenly or more in the middle or edges?

I've got the 16"s and had 7/32 left on the RSAs before I swapped them for some Potenzas at 12,300. I have often caught car "techs" rotating my tires wanting to put the "Maximum pressure" written on the sidewall in my tires. That's 44 psi vs the 30 psi recommended by GM. That'll wear 'em out quickly.
    I had over 20K miles om my 17" tires before Cadillac replaced them, and they still had enough rubber for another 20K.

It sounds like your roads are made of 80 grit sandpaper.

If your tires are running at 44 psi I would guess that whoever mounted your tires forgot to check and reset the pressure after seating the tire beads. I know, I have had the same thing happen after a recent tire repair.
    They have worn quite evenly, but I'll check the pressure again.

Do you have any ideas on what I should be replacing them with or should I go [non-permissible content removed] at the dealer since they do all the maintenance?
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    I had over 18K miles on my original tires before they were replaced by Cadillac, on the Goodyear tire recall. They were barely worn.

The replacements are wearing about the same (very good), with the exception that one had to be replaced due to a sidewall cut. Don't know if I backed into something or someone deliberately cut the tire.

My only problem has been a recent snow/ice storm about a week ago. My wife had to stop half way up the hill to our house, due to a neighbor suddenly backing out of his driveway. Once she stopped, there wasn't enough traction to start back up the hill. It took three of us to give her a push start. There are a few times when snow tires would be appreciated here in the Chicago area.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    CTS has hit the 50,000 mark - 50953 sales for the year!
    I have the Lux Package and replaced my 16" Goodyears at 30,000. At 30,000 my tires were in terrible shape, cupping and very loud. The tires were great for the first 20,000 miles and then started major cupping. I did drive my CTS hard during that first 20,000 miles. I replaced my Goodyears with Conti Touring Contact CH95 tires. I gave up some handling, but gained a quieter and smoother ride. I have put 22,000 miles on the Conti's and no cupping, have been very good tires so far.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Congratulations, guys.

Once again, it appears the CTS is doing what they told us the Lincoln LS was going to do.

Talk is cheap.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • scott1scott1 Member Posts: 50
    "Hi,
    I've read lots of posts about the rear end whine in the CTS and lots of people who had them replaced by Cadillac. I haven't seen a single one that said the rear end failed or broke down."

I havn't heard of the rear differential failing from anyone either, just varying degrees of noise, some much more obtrusive then others. When mine started whining, I could hear it clearly inside the car, windows up. I also had a grinding noise from the rear end when I would corner at speeds of 25 to 35 mph.

I was upset about it because the whine is not normal...I've owned lots of cars before, RWD, FWD, and 4WD, and none of them had a rear differential whine except my $43,000 Cadillac.
    The roads around here aren't sandpaper, but many of them are chipped which definitely increases tire wear.
    Dan, did you decide if you're putting snow treads on your CTS?

I just ordered a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3s from Tirerack. They seem very highly rated and are much cheaper then Blizzaks.
    I feel that the rear end whine is not a reason to decide not to buy a CTS. On the other hand I see no reason to to put up with it on a luxury automobile. See my post 5886 on this subject. It was fixed quickly and we have since come up to Canada and it has not come back. I wear hearing aids and without them I found it very annoying. My wife, on the other hand who can hear a cockroach crawling across a carpet, claims she never heard the whine. Go figure.
    My feeling on service is follow the mfgs recommendations. I traded in a 95 Saab 900SE with 115,00 miles in on my 1994 CTS LuxSport. The recommended oil change interval on the Saab (no fancy computer mind you) was 7500 miles under normal driving conditions. That's what I did and the engine was ticking like a clock when I traded. As for the things that went wrong; the rusted out exhaust sytem, the broken engine mount and assorted other minor things extra service would have not prevented any of them. I expect to bring my CTS into the dealer when the computer tells me to neither before nor later.
    The rear end whine may not be a reason not to buy a CTS, but it may be a reason not to buy another CTS. My 2003 CTS has over 50,000 miles and the whine, I plan to trade cars in the spring of 2005. I would like to buy another CTS, but not with a rear end whine. I understand some 2005 CTS owners have the whine problem. When in the hell is GM going to put this problem to bed. If GM wants repeat buyers the whine problem must be fixed.
    I have an appointment to take my 2003 in Tuesday afternoon to have the differential replaced with what my dealer tells me is a newly designed replacement for the unit which has be causing the whine problem.

Apparently it has taken some time for Cadillac to recognize the problem as widespread, and then some time to develop a solution, but they appear to have done it. I will let everyone know next week what I find out.
    Thanks for info. Keep us posted, I hope GM has finally corrected this problem.
    I'm trying to wait until after the holidays. It looks like we might get a late start to winter. The Dunlops did catch my eye because we can get them here, but I haven't compared cost yet.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Anyone watch the Simpsons tonight? The reporter on the episode was driving a CTS. I thought that was pretty cool, wonder if there is a CTS fan on the creative side?
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    NavTraffic will be standard equipment in the 2005 CTS. The same real-time traffic info that is currently offered in the 2005 Acura RL.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/041214/sirius_navteq_2.html
  • crushercrusher Member Posts: 16
    or have any been shipped to dealers?
  • pbeerspbeers Member Posts: 26
    I wonder - I went last weekend to a couple of Caddy dealers to test drive a manual 2005 CTS and all I could find were automatics. Are there many 6 spd's being sold?
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    On some other Cadillac boards there are quite a few people who have bought them. I think most were ordered and not taken off dealer lots.

I do not think most dealers stock them. That is really too bad. I know the market is small, but it is important to try and get sales from BMW and others that do offer manuals and have them in stock.
  • crushercrusher Member Posts: 16
    or can you provide a link to other CTS boards? I have place the CTS on my short list, based on driving impressions of the auto and qualifying for GMS pricing. I would love to have a manual with the larger V6. I am also considering 300C,GTO, and a couple SUVs that can be had below 35K. I like fun to drive vehicles, but with some practically.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just a friendly reminder - your Membership Agreement does not allow us to send folks to other automotive message boards ...

Sorry.