Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    If they would unbundle it, maybe. . .
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    The current CTS was not intended to get AWD, so I think that a major re-engineering will need to happen. Probably that would occur around 2008-2010. The V6 STS may get AWD first.
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    Nice to see the board active again .. been away for a bit myself!

Has anyone had a problem with the Stability System Engaged message coming on at highway speed (65-75 MPH)on flat, straight stretches of road? It started recently on my '03 CTS LuxSport(~48,000 mi)and was particularly annoying while driving down South, because when Stabilitrak kicks in, it kills the cruise control. Seems to happen in "clusters", maybe 3 or 4 times over a period of 5 minutes, then goes away for a while. Thought it might be related to the cruise control, but it happens when cruise is off as well.

Dealer did full diagnostic, couldn't find any error codes. Best they could do is blame it on having the Blizzaks on, but they're same size as the factory Goodyears, on stock 17" rims, and are the officially recommended winter tire option according to GM's own TSB on the subject. Tires are properly and evenly inflated, and wheel alignment seems fine (no drifting, steering is centered, etc.)

Interested in anyone's similar experience and solution.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    From what I've heard, the Blizzaks have a very soft sidewall which may tend to roll under slight variations in the road. That could possibly be fooling the computer into thinkin there is some yaw about to happen. No proof, just a thought.
    Thanks for the input, Dan. That could be it, though I would be surprised since they are V-rated for speed and seem pretty stiff. I guess I'll see when the snows come off; hopefully they'll honour the warranty since I noted the problem before I "miled out".

BTW, I drove through your neck of the woods in a snowstorm last week on the way down to FL with the family, and was very glad I left the Blizzaks on. It was pretty messy, and traffic on I-79 slowed from 75 to 60 during the early morning rush (around 6:30 am), but otherwise, it was moving fine. Wish it was the same on my daily commute into Toronto! Seems a heavy flurry here puts everyone's brain on hold.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Anyone here driven a 2.8L yet?

I see them advertised all the time now.
  • bazohimbabazohimba Member Posts: 14
    Mark, Good to hear your comments. I, too have driven the CTS 3.6VVT all decked out, and really liked it. NOT anywhere as beautiful inside as my A6 was, but acceptable. Wife raised so much Cain about the 300C that I might never hear the end of it, and, I think, the CTS could be bought for a bigger discount since it's not the 'latest' thing on the block. It would be nice to be able to shift by hand like on the 300C that has 'autostick', (almost as good as the Audi). Did you notice or learn of a way to shift the CTS up and down without going too many gears outta the way??

The STS is really sexy and luxurious, but too much money, and a bit too large for my tastes.

My wife loves the SRX, but neither of us has driven it, and she has an Escalade EXT which she loves, and she doesn't want me to have another SUV. I've time to make a decision, but will quite likely exit my TT Roadster lease early... maybe waiting 'til after the summer months. I would love to get some information about what's expected for the CTS in '06. Haven't seen anything yet.

jk
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    Probably no real changes for 'o6 but Edmunds indicates that there will be major changes inside and out in '07.
  • cherie1cherie1 Member Posts: 16
    Can 1 of you CTS owners tell me if the drivers seat has leg extensions like the 05 Avalon? Thanks. C
    I am not sure what you mean by leg extensions as I am not familar with the Avalon, but if you mean an adjustable bolster on the front edge of the seat the answer is no. However the seat on the CTS is very deep (deeper than my wifes Honda)and very supportive. I would suggest that you go to a Cadillac dealer, get in the seat and try various adjustments to the seat, and especially the backrest, to find a comfortable position. Then, if you buy the car get the memory package so that you can be sure of resetting the seat to your exact comfort position. It works great after someone else, such as a valet or the guy at the car wash moves the seat.
  • fjohnsonfjohnson Member Posts: 3
    I was recently contacted by an individual who purchased a 2005 CTS-V. With 7000 miles on his vehicle he took it in for an unrelated issue. The dealer told him the tires needed to be replaced at a cost of $2500 and that his warranty did not cover tire wear. The dealer confessed that Cadillac put improper tires on this high performance vehicle, that this is a national problem, and that Cadillac has not agreed to cover the dealer's cost of replacing the tires. In short, they refused to cover the cost and Cadillac has refused to initiate a recall. I am investigating the claim and am trying to determine whether my client's issue is as broad-based as the dealer suggested or if it is unique to my client.
    I find this hard to believe as Cadillac did a voluntary recall on the '03 Lux Sport 17" tires when they discovered that some had sidewall cracks which did not affect their performance and appeared only on the inside sidewall. I had two tires replaced (paid for the wear on one) by the dealer before the recall was announced and then had four new tires installed under the recall with about 21K miles on the car.
    What were the original equipment tires? Replacement tires should not cost $2500, that is more than $800 each. Goodyear tires at list price are more like $300 each. This is your third post on this....
  • cherie1cherie1 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the good advice. I haven't been to a Cad. dealer to sit in a CTS yet. I have been looking at the Avalon and really like that front seat with an automatic leg/seat extender, but not real crazy about the exterior body style. I am not tall but like a beefy seat which my Civic does NOT have. I need more comfort for long trips. Any other suggestions are welcome.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It is his third post, yes, but he's in the right place now. This place is confusing for newbies, to say the least. :)
    This is the best place for an answer. However, I did pose the question of what were the original tires as a response to the original post. There has been no response from him. I think that the dealer is trying to take advantage of his client, but we need to know some details about the original tires/wheels that the car came with.
  • fjohnsonfjohnson Member Posts: 3
    According to my guy, they are Goodyear run-flats. They're a Z-rated tire.
  • boomer1bboomer1b Member Posts: 316
    If you had any tire issues you would be sent to the tire dealer directly.....

I am sure with a Caddy the dealer would supply you with a loaner and they would send it there....

UNLESS......The V owner burned the rubber off the rear tires..................LOL!
    I think that is what they should have been. They should not cost $2500 to replace. However, if your client has damaged both the tires and wheels......
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    How were the wheels damaged?
    We do not know that they were damaged. What we know is that the dealer (Cadillac dealer) wants to replace the tires and the new tires will cost $2500. That is over $800 per tire. I think CTS_v tires should cost nearer $300 plus mounting charges perhaps. But I really don't know.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Go to TireRack.com, plug in the manufacturer and size of tire, and get a price per tire.

If the dealership wants more than 25% more than the TireRack.com price, it's a ripoff, plain and simple.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    My CTS spends the winter in the garage . If it dry and decent out I may take it out . Usually it sits most of the winter . The CTS-V I was considering sold . Still looking . It's been a real busy winter plowing .
    Hey that Auburn auto mall in Auburn NY STILL has that 04 CTS V in Black. 0 miles and hasn't moved from the same spot since I bought my truck there last spring !

One of the fellas at the plowsite can still get the GM deal for ya!
  • drivered1drivered1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 05 CTS-V in the Chicago area. They are really discounting them, especially if they were delivered before Oct. 29th. I got mine for $46,848. They were going to sell me a black one that was newly delivered for $47,848. All in all I think pretty fair prices. I did see a new 04 model at a Rochelle Il. Cadillac dealership for 46,425 (approx) and with a $1000 rebate from GM for being a new 04 (thru 3/31) so it would be about $45,425 (it is a black one). Great car, by the way. I have owned a C5 convertible and this thing is so much better of an all around car.
    WOW! That is a DEAL......With my GM employee/retiree discount that 04 V is $46,1xx !
    $51,xxx msrp......Minus any rebates, GM card points, bonus cert., conquest, etc..........

I wish my huge teenagers would leave home so I can get a V and dump my DeVille !!!!!!!!!!

BTW: Another local Caddy dealer in Syracuse has a 04 XLR with 8400 miles for $69,900...........
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I had the Engine Control Module replaced this week. I went to a dealer that was not my selling dealer. I took it in one afternoon late and they gave me a loaner CTS. My CTS is a 2005 by the way. The dealer says it takes only twenty minutes plugged into their computer. They don't replace it; they reprogram it. Even though it requires little time, he said they would need it for a day. Due to the numbers they are having to do this to, the problem is scheduling. Runs quick and smooth, as it did before.
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    Once again the CTS battery has lost its charge. Stopped by the dealer to inform them of this and the service rep said that they have learned that if you leave the dome light control in the fully bright (not on) position, the computer will stay in the ready to engage mode as if you were going to turn on the dome/reading lights. Over a period of time (although the lights aren't on) this drains the battery. He asked that I check the position of the switch when I got home.

When I got home to check, I found that the switch was in the full front or brightest position. Now in my case, I rotate cars over the period of a month, and the CTS may sit for a while sometimes before I start it again. Others out there may drive or start their's daily and therefore not notice that this is going on. That's if this is all true.

Nonetheless, they still want the car towed in with battery dead so they can (as he put it "catch it in the act") make sure that it's not something else. This current battery was installed on 14 Dec 04. I'll have roadside pick it up on Monday 3/28. I'll keep you posted.

thebug...
  • lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone changed their Passenger Compartment Air Filter? Per the Owners Manual, it should be changed every 15,000 miles. I am now at 30,000, so I thought I should do it. I ordered one from the dealer (none in stock). The dealer provided written instructions on how to install. The filter is located under the fresh air vent on passenger side of the car just in front of the firewall. After removing the vent, a cover is removed with two snaps. Access and viewing is difficult as it is just under the hood. You have to use mirrors to see anything. Removing the old filter was easy, but I had difficulty installing the new filter. There seems to be two upper aligning tabs extending forward from the firewall side. I could not tell if the filter should be under these tabs or in front of them. There is also two small lower edge guides. If not engaged in these lower guides, the filter can move down a long way inside the compartment. It was difficult to insert and I never felt I had it positioned correctly. But finally gave up and assumed it was good enough and buttoned it up. Then when driving 60 mph and higher, a loud vibration or squeal occasionally occurred, probably caused by the improperly located filter. I assumed I would have to visit the dealer and confess I could not install it correctly. But now it has stopped making noise and I am hoping it moved into a correct position (or into a position not causing noise).

Does anyone have positive, negative, or helpful experiences on installing this passenger air filter?
  • thomasgthomasg Member Posts: 3
    Hi CTS Owners.

Anybody experiencing excessive wear on the front CTS tires? I had 14000 miles on the front tires and they are worn bad on the outside. To the point some of the sipes are not even visible.

I'm wondering if the CTS front alignment is too aggressive. Do they toe in the fronts to improve handling?

I drive 2000 miles a month - this tire wear is going to kill the budget!

What have other CTS owners seen?

Tom
    I changed the passenger compartment filter over a year ago following basically the same instructions from the factory service manual. I had no trouble, although it is in an aukward position to work on, and have not experienced any trouble since. I even gave someone here on the board the instructions for changing out the filter a little while back.

This reminds me, I think it is about time I did it again. I don't know why the dealers do not seem to stock this item.
    Which model do you have, the Standard, Lux or LuxSport (i.e. the 16" or 17" wheels?) My 17" wheels showed no excess wear up to about 21k miles, when they where replaced by the factory recall because of a sidewall problem. I have only 11k miles on the new tires and they seem to be wearing normally.
    Received feedback from the dealer on the 03 CTS dome light dimmer switch. There is a known defect in the computer sensor. For the lack of a better description, it has a tendency to keep all the other computers in the car awake when they should dormant.

A TB has been issued. At the moment there is no fix, but there should be a replacement switch (re-designed) in the next six weeks. If they replace it with those on the shelf, it will behave the same way.

The temporary fix (for my CTS) is to keep the switch in the dim position while the car is off until the switch is replaced. They tested it over a two day period and this seems to work. Although the dome lights are not on, it pulls amperage more than four times greater than it should resulting in a dead battery in 24 to 48 hrs if the car isn't started daily. In my case that's the problem.

Tech support said that Cadillac has not announced a recall at this time. They will provide me with a TB number when I pick up the car, and I will post it then.

thebug...
  • thomasgthomasg Member Posts: 3
    My CTS is Luxury - 17" wheels.
    Are you sure they are 17"? I believe 17" wheels are only available on the Sport model. In any case do you check regularly to assure that the tires are at 30psi COLD. It is possible you are running the tires underinflated, although that usually causes wear on both sides of the tread.
    I would take the car to a reputable tire dealer for an opinion.
  • bagsbags Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone had a problem with the leather seat getting discolored or stained? My 04 CTS has 7000 miles and I have to assume that my belt has worn a dark stain across the whole seat where it touches. It will not clean up. I've tried everything.
    I have exactly the same problem. I think I will ask my shoemaker if he has anything which will solve the problem. If I find anything I will let your know.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Talk to a leather specialst. Had the same thing with a past Mercedes I owned and the person came to my house and dyed the area so it was not recognizable. Certain leathers rather than certain colors of leather have this problem.
    Have you tried Saddle Soap? It's a neutral colored leather cleanser made by Kiwi, and comes in a large (4" round) beige shoe polish type can. I've used it for years to clean and protect my leather jackets and Concran boots.

It works very well to restore original color on my lighter colored leather jackets. My jacket sleeves are stained or soiled over time by resting my arms on counter tops and various arm rest. This has worked well for me.

I'm not sure what color your lether is, but I would assume a lighter color. If you do try it, apply a small amount to an inconspicuous area using a clean damp kitchen spong, rub it in and let it air dry. It can be found in the shoe polish area in most grocery stores I think. It's a common item at most military base exchanges, where I purchase it.

thebug...
    For those of you out there with an 03-04 CTS, or 04 SRX, and are not aware of this TSB regarding the overhead dome light regulator problem which may lead to a dead battery when the regulator swith is placed in the fullist bright position. The TSB number is If you have this problem, ther is no fix at this time, but should be in the next six weeks or so, per Cadillac. A temporary fix is to leave the switch in the dim position when the car is at rest to prevent draining the battery. This problem may go unnoticed if the vehicle is used daily.

thebug...
    See message #6035 for the original post ... looks like the problem might have been a side effect of a leaky right rear axle (differential) seal ... had it fixed just 500 mi from end of warranty (whew!) .. actually, fixed twice ... 2nd dealer (DeLand Cadillac) fixed using a special tool GM provided for the repair, and blames the recurrence on my home dealer not using this tool. The Stability System warning hasn't come on unexpectedly since the do-over, including the 1300 mi drive back from the Sunshine State.

Anyone else out there have a leaky rear axle? Mine first appeared around 46,000 miles .. I had previously had a very mild case of the "differential whine" that is well documented on this board, but couldn't convince dealer it was not "characteristic" of this vehicle.

BTW, despite the numerous "1st model year" problems I've had over 3 years of ownership (experiences shared by many regulars here), I still LOVE THIS CAR! ('03 CTS LuxSport). I just don't know whether to keep for another year (at which time it will be at around 65-70k miles and 4 years from build date), replace with a 2005, or go all out and upgrade to STS!
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    between the STS and they CTS is paramount, especially if yours is the once without the DOHC engine.

The STS has triple sealed doors, 14 speakers and one of the best v-8's in the busienss.

If you can afford a V8 STS with that huge nav system and bose audio, go for it, you will think your in a different world.

GM really did a good job differentiating between these two cars. People who drove both are totally salivating over the STS.

GL :D
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    I traded in my 2003 CTS with lux sport package for a 2005 with the 3.6 engine.The ride is so much smoother .You don't need the STS V8 if you can't afford it to feel like you got a great new car.With the better engine, you will feel like you have a new car.
    The engine makes a big difference. I test drove the 3.2 and i have to tell you, It did not feel like I thought it would after all of the BMW intentions i have been hearing about. Felt like a little rascal of a motor though. This 3.6 is more serious.

Does anyone think GM will pump up the output to like 275 or 300 (like in that g6 GXP concept) to compete with the new Lexus IS?
    I'm assuming that the 3.6 is not only more powerful, but runs more smoothly? The 3.2 feels a bit "rough around the edges" at times, both at idle and under heavy acceleration. Aside from the 60-degree offset angle on the 3.6 (vs. 54-degrees for the 3.2), have they done a better job with balancing shafts, etc?

I'd love to see a supercharged 3.6 ... should be easily able to top 300 HP, but it would have to be a very compact blower to fit under the hood. Also, not sure if GM would want to push performance of this engine too far into the Northstar V8 range, where they already get a large $$ premium on a proven 300HP engine that gets similar fuel economy to the current 3.6VVT.

Unfortunately, it's that heavy premium on the V8 (and the bundling of options) that's making me shy away from an STS-V8, and I think I'd prefer to load up a new CTS than skimp on a V6 STS with fewer of the "toys" (both performance and luxury) that I've become accustomed to with my '03.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    The new BMW 3 series will not have an engine in that range.It is possible that Cadillac will aim for balance and not power, which is what BMW sought to do.
    I agree with the "balance" vs. "power" theory. Cadillac has already addressed the "power" crowd with the V-Series (as our Bavarian friends have done with the M3 and M5). However, I do wish GM would bundle the "performance" options separately from the "luxury" options, and include HID and polished alloys in the "performance" group. This applies more to STS than CTS, which does have the "sport" packages, but still no polished wheels. Still, I'd love to see a true "enthusiast" package, mating the 3.6VVT (perhaps a "blown" version) with 18" polished rims, StabiliTrak and performance brakes, but with configurable MagnaRide and a 6-speed manumatic for those of us who have to commute all week. :D
    Is comming out with a new IS that will have a 300hp 3.5L v6.

If Cadillac does not address the power issue Lexus will dominate the market in not just quality, but performance. Than Both Us and the Bavarians are dead in the water.
    Maybe it's just me, but I see gas prices going above $4/gal. within the next 8-12 months. California is already above $3/gal. reg unleaded. Many of the people that I know that have SUV's and high hp vehicles (including myself) are getting out, and these people receive fairly good income (high5 and low 6digit income brackets). I'm now in the market for more fuel efficient sources of transportation. At present it cost more than $54 to fill the SUV every five days, and more than $45 to fill my smallest car (4cy) at $2.85, which last 7 days.

That would be more than double at greater than $4/gal., and my gas is paid for by the company. The more I spend on gas, the less I pocket for vehicle maintenance. Now, they do raise our gas allowance with the increase in fuel cost, but I'm sure there's a ceiling somewhere out there. Right now we get $0.375/mile, and that is the goverment rate (so they tell us), and those in my company in the lower income brackets (60/50K or less) are already hurting, which means that reimbursement is probably behind the power curve. They make an adjustment about every six months. My point is, the majority of people out there don't get a gas allowance, and fuel cost will govern there choice of automobile.

I believe the public at large is looking, or will be looking for less hp and more fuel efficiency. I drive close to 3K per month, and as of late, I have taken the big hp vehicles out of the daily grind. In short, more hp = more fuel, which = more $$$. I don't know if you are old enough to remenber the early 70's, but I think history is about to repeat itself. When it comes to overall sales, the 300 hp Lexus may not be as appealing as the 210 hp CTS. And that's the way I see it.

thebug...
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    The government mileage rate for 2005 is .40/mile. I bet the 300 hp Lexus gets better gas mileage than the 210 hp CTS. The domestics don't make any fuel efficient V 6's.