Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Lower MSRP base prices for Canadians. Not a lot lower but nice to see. Cadillac doesn't need to lower a lot, it has great cars that sell well with out too many incentives.
  • batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    frankk1: Type in the word snow in the search feature and you'll get a lot of opinions about CTS performance in snow from folks across the country. It is not an AWD SUV, but it isn't bad either.
  • anythingct3anythingct3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 CTS with Goodyear RS-A P225/50R-17 W rated tires. I've been pleased with them, but need new replacement tires and am looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and Bridgestone Turanza LS-V as possible replacements. Would appreciate feedback on these or other replacements you have tried. Interested in wet/dry performance and tread life experiences.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I have four cars. Two of those are an 05 CTS and an 05 Honda Accord. The Accord has the Bridgestone Turanza tires. I have not driven them in the snow since I bought the car mid-April. They run perfectly smooth. I have been pleased with them. The difference between the Bridgestone and Michelin is that the Bridgestone has a firmer ride. They are a tougher tire with their sidewalls. The Michelin has a softer sidewall and gives a softer ride. The softer sidewall would not be something you would want if you were driving a lot of "country" gravel roads. The Michelin would not be the tire for that. For street driving like most of us do, the Michelin will give you the better ride. They are both good tires.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Your insurance payments must be killer!

Is the 05 CTS fully loaded? What do you think about the 06 with 18" wheels, more wood trim, and the auto/manuall shift mode?
    My insurance is about to get really bad. My son will turn 16 in October. That will be the killer. My 05 is the base Cadillac CTS, if there is such a thing with Cadillac. It listed for 34,070 and has automatic and satellite radio. I purchased it December 26. I have not read anything about the 06. I am glad I purchased the base because it has everything that we would want. The criticism has been the interior from other people. The plastic on the door does look pretty cheap, but that is GM; always saving a buck.

I like the pure automatic that we have. It is very fast. I personally would either want a 6 speed manual or an automatic. I would have bought a second one with a 6 speed manual, but I think you would have a difficult time selling it or trading it. I am not sure how the bigger wheels would look.
  • kath72366kath72366 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 CTS front tires were completely worn on the outside after only 2 months. The dealership replaced tires and blamed it on a problem with the alignment.

Today only 3 months later the car is back in with front end problems. When I drove it onto the lot, I'm not sure what happened. One tire is straight the other is turned to the side. This car has serious front end problems.

kathy
    I really hate that you are having this problem. I have not encountered that on mine yet. I would really be upset about the alignment. That sounds like a frame problem. If you are not getting service at your dealership, take it to another one and try there. This is the first Cadillac I have had. GM seems to want to take care of their Cadillac owners. It is one of their profit cars. As you know, it has not been true for many of their other brands. I would not let up until I got something done about it. An alignment is a simple thing, if that is what is needed. Any "ding-dong" dealership should be able to take care of that.
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    I concur that GM is trying to keep Cadillac owners happy. They've been able to make a lot of Euro-converts with the CTS, and have attracted a younger demographic that represents future business. It would be suicide to let down this new customer base. GM vehicles and plants are now starting to win quality awards, and once they rationalize their product line-up, they'll be back on track.

In my own case, just this month, at 4000 mi out of warranty with no extended, my AC compressor "disintegrated inside" (direct quote from the service advisor), necessitating what would have been well over $2000 in repairs. Basically, the whole system was full of debris and needed to be replaced. The dealer, whom I had used for my regular maintenance since new 3 years ago, negotiated with GM to pay all but a $100 deductible on the repair, without me even asking (though, of course, I would have screamed bloody murder if they hadn't offered to do anything). Loyalty does seem to have its privileges ;)

This, combined with the happy news on Canadian MSRPs for the 2006 CTS (see a few posts above), might just tip the balance on whether my next car will be a Cadillac. I was almost ready to defect after the AC went on the blink.
  • twest88twest88 Member Posts: 6
    Raleigh - see page 307, #6109 for details on the 06 models.

Spoke with dealer about Supercharger for CTS on 06. I'm likely to trade in my 04, get the 06, and add the supercharger. The sport suspension with 18" should take be able to handle. My V-lite could be in my garage by end of Sept.
  • raleighraleigh Member Posts: 98
    I have read some of the discussions of using Eibach springs and their supposed compatibility/incompatibility with the Nivomat shocks that come standard on the CTS with sport package ... but I am still confused. What is the bottom line? If I install Eibach springs, do I also have to change the shocks? If so, why? Appreciate any thoughts or feedback. :confuse:
  • lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    To Kath72366 and others with front tire wear. I also experienced tire wear on my base 2003 CT with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. I balanced, rotated and aligned every 6000 miles and at 14,000 miles the tires howled like crazy, due to feathering and heel/toe wear. The dealer said it probably was an alignment issue, but they checked it and it was aligned within specs and would do nothing and sent me to a Goodyear dealer. Goodyear prorated the tires although RS-A tires are not wear rated. So I got a new set of RS-As at 14,000 and started rotating, balancing and aligning every 3000 miles (lifetime everything).

At around 28,000 (another 14,000), I began to have the same howling caused by feathering, heel/toe, and now slight cupping). I endured it to 35,000 and began to investigate the cause. Firestone, who did the alignment, said it was in spec and should cause no problem. Two Goodyear dealers agreed, but thought the rear toe was near the upper limit and should be reset. Two Cadillac dealers also said I was properly aligned and was doing everything I should. Both dealers said CTS cars were always showing up with tire wear problems. Both suggested Michelin tires. I called the Goodyear Customer Service. The Service Advisor presented the problem to their management and they told me their best advice was to switch to Michelins! Can you believe that?

I looked a lot at a internet tire dealer (you know who) for advice and consumer comments on High Performance All Season tires. The two I considered to be the best choices were the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (a new tire with 45,000 mi warrantee to replace the HGT H4 (no wear warrantee)) and the Bridgestone Potenza G009 (new tire with 50,000 mi warrantee). I liked these two as they were mileage warranted and had excellent reviews. The Firestone dealer had the lowest prices on the G009 tires, while the cost for the Michelin's were either slightly higher or mostly much higher. Interestingly, the Cadillac dealer had the lowest Michelin cost. I went with the Bridgestone G009 as it was a better tread wear and it was at the dealer where I had lifetime alignment. I had them change the alignment so it was exactly on nominal specifications. The rear tie rod was frozen in place, so I know it has not been adjusted in a long time. But it always was within the limits Time will tell if realignment works with the Bridgestones. After driving it 100 miles, they are very quiet and highly responsive. PS, they have a 30 day trial period.
    So does this mean the US 06 model is in the neighborhood of $45k? Has anyone priced out an 06 model yet?
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Will be the best CTS ever. The transmission will be the usual auto but with a manual mode! And they used some more wood in the dash. I have driven a CTS and the plastic on the doors is actually a special composite designed to look good and stand through temperatures/moisture changes. I agree it does not comptete with leather or fake leather on the doors but it is unique and does not look bad to me.

The 18 inch wheels will look great. Some people thought the wheels were too small in 17 inch form, especially when viewed from rear angles. Hell, Infiniti has 19 inch wheels. Thats a bit much. :)

I can't wait to hear from people who test drove the 06!
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Cadillac really out did themselves with this car!!! My dad bought my mom a new caddy in 71 and when I turned 16 she let me drive it !!! I was HUGE, but I loved it. :P
  • bosshoggbosshogg Member Posts: 16
    OMG... the 06 CTS is off the hook!!!! Im a liitle pissed though. The 06 now has tap shifting, nicer stock wheels and for some reason the lines look so much cleaner than my 05. O well, I guess I'll have to suffer through it for 2.5 yrs of my 3 yr lease.

BOSS
    8^ O
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    Boss,

Have you seen an '06 in the showroom yet? I believe they were going to start them down the line in early June. I'm in an '03 and ready to trade!
    Hey RB, Yes I have driven the new 06' CTS. Im up here in the North West but normally how it works is who ever the top Caddy dealer in your city is should have a few pulling in if not already on the ground.
    Boss :^ D
    Your ride is great, however, I have not seen the 06 on the rode yet.
    I had no idea that the 06 was out. I will have to check here in Nashville and see if any of the Caddy dealers have one.
    I don't know if he saw the 06 in a brochure or on the show room. I should really go back and re-read the post. :cry:

But he was upset that he had an 05 because the 06 looks so good, and I think that is silly, the 05 looks great next to any car. :shades:
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    The 06s are on the lots now. I've got ten of them in stock. Unfortunately, they aren't on the lot because we still have the 05s that we're trying to get rid of, so when I see one I'll give you my impressions.
    So good deals for the 05's must be out there. ;)
    Where r u located?
    My wife has a CTS 05. I have looked and looked at one that is a six speed. The dealer has not been able to sell it. It has been there since last Thanksgiving. I bought hers in December and saw it on the lot. I keep checking and it is still there. Rather than giving a gm employee price, when you click on the gm employee price it says to check with the dealer on this. The others for that dealership give you the price. I am concerned about the trade-in value when I get ready to trade it. Give me some thoughts on this if you don't mind, since you must be a dealer or salesman.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    If anyone is interested a local Syracuse NY Chevy dealer has a 05
    CTS-V, 5,000 miles $39,xxx.

Ad sez "New Corvette trade".....................
    I own a six speed CTS. You are right to be worried about trade value. It will deduct about $3000 from your trade. The best thing to do with the sticks is to lease them. At the end of the lease term you decide whether you want it, or you can let the bank deal with the low value.

As far as the price is concerned, check on gmbuypower.com to see what the GMS price is on the car. You can offer them less if you want to see how desperate they are to move it. Most dealers do not want a stick on their lot, so this may be one instance where they will go below employee pricing to get rid of it. I know that we won't, but I can't speak for every dealership.
    I'm in Pittsurgh, Pa
    I wouldn't trust a .com website price lists. Get Consumers Reports buying kit instead, you will get info on what the dealer pays for the car, wholesale, invoice, etc. Then you are ready to bargain. ;)
    That was GMs own website. Their pricing is exact.
    Regarding your question; the 6 speeds are not flying off the lots (at least where i'm from). The GM employee price for that car may not be available on line for whatever reason. Just give the dealer a call they will tell you exactly what the price is. Also in my opinion; in most cases its always better to lease a new car (your never out of equity). And the beautiful thing about GM leasing, is they do whats called the Pull Ahead Program thats where GMAC will waive your remaining obligation lets say 2 to 2.5 yrs into your 3 yr lease or 3 to 3.5 yrs into your 4 yr lease as long as you purchase another GM vehicle. Kinda cool huh?

BOSS
    : ^ l
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I wanted to let the regulars around here know that I just sold my '03 CTS LuxSport. This vehicle was a *lot* of fun for me and my wife, but with a 2 year old toddler to tow around everywhere now, he's getting too big for the rear seat of the CTS and since he's growing like me (38" tall at his 2 year old b-day recently), my wife and I spend a lot of time getting kicked by him. :) We will take delivery of an '05 SRX V6 Lux either Monday or Tuesday, as the GMS price + $3000 rebate + 3.9% financing is a little too good to pass up.

From a maintenance standpoint, this car wasn't "Honda perfect", but it was a helluva lot better than the last Deville I owned. It also has the distinction of feeling about the same from the lack of creaks, groans and rattles as when I took delivery of it. This car was well screwed together. Great job Cadillac.

The SRX is a great vehicle, but my wife (who was the primary driver) already says she will miss the taught suspension, the heavier steering feel, and the growl of the engine. Someday, maybe I'll be able to afford a CTS-V for her to play with (and all the speeding tickets she'd get). I'll miss the fun to drive nature and that I'm sure the car saved my wife's life or serious injury from a road incident two years ago which the handling characteristics of the car allowed her to avoid a construction shovel that fell off a dump truck at 50 MPH. Did I mention she was 6 months pregnant at the time? Yeah, I hate to see this car go. But in the end, the need to carry a kid and related things won over.

Here are the final stats on this car:

2003 LuxSport, Black, all options but Nav system
    33 months of ownership
    49,500 miles
    All premium gas for the duration (ouch!), hand washed and hand waxed
    New brakes at 36,000 mi (and one rotor)
    New tires at 36,000 mi by recall
    Regular 3000-5000K oil changes
    Regular air filter changes as needed
    Regular rotate and balance as required
    Purchased at Capital Cadillac in Atlanta (ask for Patty Conway, she's awesome and honest!)
    All service at the Andrews Cadillac of Nashville...great folks)

Unscheduled repairs include:
    Rear air bag curtain covers @ 22K mi or so (both came loose over time)
    Radio @ 48K mi (volume erratic)
    Blown taillight @ 45K mi
    No engine, accessories or drivetrain issues
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Does the '06 have a redesigned dash? The only thing that would keep me from buying this car is the horrible dash on the '05's and earlier. It is not appropriate for a luxury car. GM just doesn't get the picture. Just compare a CTS interior to a G35. No contest.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Thanks much for the update & glad the car worked out for you.

I monitor a number of these boards, and keep cars longer than 99% of the people who post concerning sport/lux vehicles (my car is about to hit 85K miles), so appreciate follow-up data.

Your posts have been helpful from the beginning. I'm hoping to get another 3-5 years out of my Lincoln LS, but when it plays out, the CTS is on my list of cars to look at, due in significant part to your posts.

Thanks again, and good luck with your new vehicle.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    Very informative.You should have fun driving the SRX which is no slouch.It sounds like you changed the oil more frequently than the on board computer would have you done .
    Seven F, Thats goood to hear that your staying in the "Caddy" family. The few issues that you had with your CTS were minimal especially compared to a same class Merced. or Beamer. I will say that the 03' CTS is a diff car than the the 04 or 05 the engine was upgraded signifigantly in 04/05 to 255hp, also the cars feel tighter with steering and driving on the road than the 03' models. Also please rmember that all Caddy's run on 87 octane that is recommended by the factory. I think you and your wife will like your SRX, people seem to really enjoy the ride and functionality.

PS Dont ever ever forget that Your never lackin when your Cadillacin.
    BOSS ;^ )
    My girl seems to think that the Nav in the 06 is angled more towards the driver, but other than that the Dash on the 06 is the same. The dash in the CTS is geared more towards sport than luxury; what I would recommend is a dark interior like the pewter or ebony so that it meshes better. As far as your comment GM doesn't get the picture what exactly are you referring? I mean, aesthetic things are ....in my opinion an easy fix ... the CTS is very reliable, has one of the highest hp in its class, and for the money offers the most standard equipment. "No contest" yea ok dude you might want to take a closer look.

BOSSHOGG
    :^ r
    You must live in nashville. i do too. i bought mine in clarksville but i have it serviced at andrews. nice dealership.
    Thanks for responding back. Is there a rebate on the CTS? One of the posts refers to a rebate on another body style. This does not have satellite radio which I want. What is involved price wise and technical wise to get it installed at the dealer? Also, what is different about the 06?
    As far as differences on the 06, they are minimal. I just took a look at one, and unless you really know the car, you won't notice the differences. In the lux sport packages there is more wood. The shifter on the auto is surrounded with a chrome insert and is now selectable. The wheels are different. I have heard that the suspension settings are different, but I can't verify that.

We don't have any rebates on the CTS in my region.

I'm sure your dealer can install the satellite radio, but it would probably be expensive. I'd say it would be best to see if they can trade to get you one with it from another dealer.
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    Congrats on the new SRX. From everything I've read, the SRX is no slouch when it comes to handling.

I traded my STS for a Trailblazer back in December and would have bought an SRX, but the dealers in my area weren't negotiating at that time, and the wife preferred the Trailblazer (with 0% financing).

I wondered how old your son was. We've had a bunch of births and/or adoptions in our neighborhood, so in addition to our 4 year old grandson, we are "neighborhood grandparents" to about seven kids here. It keeps us busy and tired, but the Trailblazer has been extremely usefull, hauling kids, bikes, toys, tents and assorted stuff.

Keep us informed on the SRX. Maybe I can change my wife's mind in a few years.

Good Luck

Rich
  • jpnmassjpnmass Member Posts: 45
    2006 Cadillac CTS - What's New:

• 3 New Exterior Colours – Radiant Bronze (53U), Blackberry (71U), Infrared (80U)
    • 1 New Cashmere interior color replacing Neutral (Cashmere requires Y40 on 6DM69 and includes Cashmere Instrument Panel Top Pod)
    • New modular option packaging philosophy applied to reduce complexity
    • Driver Shift Control (tap-up/tap-down) feature on Automatic Transmission
    • New 17” wheel – polished (painted 17” wheel not available)
    • Performance package including 18” wheels, high performance tires, uplevel brakes and performance suspension system
    • Appearance Package includes rear spoiler, 18” wheels (different than performance package), lower side and rear fascia and body colored front grille (requires Performance package)
    • Thermostatically controlled engine block heater cord
    • Wood package is now Walnut Burl wood and includes steering wheel, door handles, shifter knob and plate as well as centre stack
    • 2.8L and 3.6L V6 VVT engines will operate on GF-4 mineral oil as opposed to Mobil 1 Synthetic
    • MP3 capability on base radios (interim 06)
    • 6.0L V8 LS2 engine on CTS-V
    • Front grille now light silver
  • rustin8rustin8 Member Posts: 1
    Can you give me some more information about this Appearance package that you spoke about. I'm about to purchase an '06 CTS, so i'm hoping you also might know where I can find some pictures of what one looks like with this package. Is this an after-market package because they dont show this set of options as you have described within the '06 CTS options code pamphlet printout on the GM website? You also mentioned that the wheels are different than the performance package...do you have any pics of those too or know where i can find some???
    Thanks, rustin8
    This CTS was hands down the best Cadillac I've ever driven. It's also the first that didn't creak, rattle and groan after some years on the road. This is an easy car to recommend to others and the new owner tells me his wife already loves the car.

One correction to my earlier post. I did replace the dash cluster to try to deal with the "two clocks syncing" problem. It didn't work...when I sold the vehicle, the clocks were about 6 minutes apart.
    I can't speak for the steering of the post '03 cars since I never drove a LuxSport but I have driven the standard cars and I agree the new engine makes the car feel lighter. I wish it was available in '03. The ability to use regular gas would have been nice too.
    My son just turned 2 years old three weeks ago. But he's the size of a 3 1/2 year old (38" tall). How did that happen? :)
  • ma1exma1ex Member Posts: 1
    Is it true that you can't order both the Navigation system and the 18" performance package on the 2006 CTS?

Will the 2006 CTS-V NAV support NavTraffic (I'm pretty sure the 2005 doesn't)?
  • fueledupfueledup Member Posts: 64
    just purchased '05 cts with 3.6, looking to purchase chrome tail pipe tips with rolled edges, anyone know where to purchase?
    Stop by your local Caddy dealer and ask to see the Cadillac Accessories product brochure It features lots of add-ons (wheels, car covers, bike racks, etc) you can buy from them that either GM makes or third parties with the blessing of GM. You can also find them on the Cadillac web site. Check the pull down in the upper right hand corner and choose "accessories", then click on the CTS.

I do remember thumbing through it the other day and noticing the chrome tail pipes you were looking for. According to the web site, a pair cost $150.
    I'd also like to hear more about the Appearance package. Need some Pics!