Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    A few notes...

The new Cadillac web site is awesone. Great job to whomever did it. It's generally well organized and easy to find what you want. The broadband movies everywhere are a great enhancement.

I notice in the 2006 CTS-V pictures that there is an exterior photo showing a wheel that isn't offered as an option. It's a pretty cool looking wheel compared to the standard CTS-V one. Does anyone know anything about it?

The CTS is due for a complete makeover in 2008 and none of us knows what it looks like. It's been widely reported that the SRX and STS will get new interiors in the next year to keep them competitive (Motor Trend's editor-in-chief alluded to it months ago) but I wonder if they will even bother doing it next year with the CTS since that is supposed to be the last year of the current car. The SRX's replacement has been reported to be delayed to 2010(!), so a new interior is more important for that vehicle.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Meybe instead of changine it they will just add a few more wood trim pieces to teh STS, i really cannot see them overhauling the interrior and leaving the exterrior alone. Also, they could probably use the STS interrior for another car, much like the CTS interrior is used in the SRX.

Hey people, how about a CTS and STS coupe? That would really round out the line. I see so many G35 coupes its staggering. C'mon Cadillac!
  • tester1tester1 Member Posts: 33
    Checking Coolant warning was on for my 2003 CTS. Checked user menu, stated dexcool coolant is needed. Went to NAPA, there have a "NAPA" brand coolant works on any maker and type of vehicles. Any comment? Thanks.
  • jpennjpenn Member Posts: 68
    I'm with exaulteddragon, it's time to bring back the Eldorado in CTS format. The competition is moving back to offering coupes such as M-B CLK350, BMW 3 & 6 series, Infinity G35, Lexus is rumored to have an IS350 coupe and there's been spy photos of a Lexus SC430 to do battle with the BMW 600 coupe. C'mon Caddy, take the CTS to the next level with a true Euro Coupe.
  • riskybusinessriskybusiness Member Posts: 58
    You should check to make sure that the NAPA formulation is the orange, long-life variety, and that it meets GM specification GM6277M. If it has a "DEX-COOL(R)-compatible" statement mark on the label, it may not meet the spec. There are a number of aftermarket brands that are certified by GM, including Shell, Prestone, Chevron Texaco. Not sure about NAPA.

There are quite a few red/orange/yellow-colored coolants out there that do not meet the spec.
    Has anyone driven the '06 with the 3.6L and the 5-speed automatic with driver shift (the "manumatic")? How does it compare to the "regular" 5-speed automatic on the '04-05's, and does it still have the "Sport" mode? :confuse:
  • tetedepierretetedepierre Member Posts: 62
    Now have 20,500 miles on a sports lux with everythihg except navigation. Love the car,but! The module that controls the info readouts seems to be dicey. It sets trip A and trip B readings back to 0 at odd intervals. Also ran me out of gas the other day. Was trying to get to an economy truck stop and it kept telling me 70 kilometer range until, oops, out of gas. Thank God for Onstar. Had a can of gas poured in within 20 minutes. Can anyone comment on this module problem. By the way I love OnStar, no kidding.
    The tires roar. Also they are within 4000 miles of wearing out. The dealer tells me I should have rotated them more and to suffer until I replace them. But he says "Don't replace with GoodYear use Michilen" Also says that Cadallac is still putting same tires on the 2006 model. Any Comments?

The rear axle is whining again when transmitting power. Had it replaced at about 4000 miles and it stopped for a while. Been whining now for about 6000 miles. Anyone else have this problem? Several dealers have told me that this happens on all CTS vehicles. This seems dubious to me.

Great Car, but I wonder if the Japenese and German vehicles suffer from similar even if different annoyances.
  • arby1arby1 Member Posts: 83
    I had a 2003 CTS with the same problem and now with my 2005 CTS.The trip computer and fuel used zeroes intermettently.You will know when it happens because the cd's start moving in the radio console.You should never go by driving range. You can go by fuel used which would have told you that you used up your fuel tank before stalling.Of course , that would only work if your gauge didn't zero out on you.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I have a somewhat different problem with my 2002 Seville. Since the transmission needed a solenoid switch replaced, which required removal of both the engine and transmission, the fuel used randomly adds a half gallon to the fuel used. I think that this happens on startup, but I am not sure. Anyway the average MPG is low, and gradually it improves until the next extra half gallon is added. I did notice it once when I filled up and noted that the fuel used was 60.9 gallons, and then after leaving the gas station, noticed that (a hundred feet later) the fuel used was 61.5 gallons. I plan to bring this up at the next oil change.
  • evokevok Member Posts: 14
    Nope the CTS is nothing like the Sixteen. If you like the current car you are going to love the next generation model. The car still has the edgy look and instantly recognizable as a CTS but it is a lot smoother and flows better without that melted A&S look of the STS. The stance is also more aggessive. The car appears to lean forward where the Lexus GS leans backward. And the interior is unlike anything you would expect from the General. It will look like no other Cadillac interior on the market now. All I can say is, when it is released this will be the best Cadillac to date since the A&S make over. The interior is awesome.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Hey evok, what can you tell us about any future CTS mechanicals? Do you know if the updated model (presume 07) will have engine upgrades, six speed auto, other? You seem to be in the know, so enthusiasts here would greatly appreciate a few hints. Thanks!
    How do you know this stuff, can you post us a link here?

Do you work for the General, like ANT14 for ford? If anything, the CTS needs to have first and foremost more hp. 255 is not enough if Lexus has 300, but it is enough to be descent, just not class leading or even close.

Hopefully they will make some style and interior changes to show the world an American car really is worth buying... without discounts.

The CTS and the cadillac linup are all awesome. My name should be XLR_Dreamer :cry: :P ;)
  • blackvette02blackvette02 Member Posts: 3
    I just ordered a 06 CTS (3.6) with everything, and I was disappointed that I couldn't get the 18" Performance Package with the Navigation System. The dealer showed me on his computer that in placing the order with the Nav Sys, he couldn't click on the 18' Pkg. Daaaaaaa!........ Furthermore, I wanted the CTS-V, but it still only comes with a 6-speed trans."I don't shift gears anymore.".... I read in one of my car magazines that next year (07), the CTS-V will have an AT option with a type of paddle shifter. But, maybe you won't be able to get a steering wheel! LOL
  • bagsbags Member Posts: 12
    I took my car back to the Cadillac dealer and he had their seat man dye the leather back to the original color. I don't know how long it will last. My wife wants to put a seat cover shaped like a band that goes around the seat where my belt touches it. It would be attached in the rear with velcro. I'm not sure if I will do it or not.
  • ctguy001ctguy001 Member Posts: 1
    I live in lovely, snowy Connecticut and the dealer says my CTS will need snow tires. Anyone else have any experience with putting on snow tires (or no snow tires) in very snowy areas. I haven't had a rear wheel drive car in 22 years.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I didn't use snow tires last year. I got around fine in all weather.
    I'd strongly recommend a good set of winter tires. Search "snow" on this board for lots of previous posts on the subject, including some from me.

Congrats on your purchase. I hope you enjoy your new CTS as much as I've enjoyed mine (3-1/2 years, 57k miles on my '03 so far)!
    evok seems to be a bit like "Ken and Kelvin" on the LS430 board, who claimed to work for Lexus and had tons of "inside scoop" on the upcoming LS460. After posting some very interesting stuff, they never showed up again. If "evok" has some inside track he/she ought to follow-up, otherwise, we can probably dismiss as someone trying to gain attention by inventing "the facts". We can all do that.
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I have followed evok on various message boards for about 5 years, and I can assure you that he does know what he is talking about.
    how gm pulls off the forward leaning look. I like it when it is backward leaning, though.

Except in the mustang!
    There is some stuff I will talk about and other I won't.

Expect to be impressed with all of GM's new product including the next generation CTS. The car is very impressive. If you want a good idea what it looks like, check out the Jim Dunne renderings from Popular Mechanics. Granted he appears to have been shown something and the rendered car is not dead nutz but it is a very good characature of the vehicle. Read my words carefully, he is close but not dead on. Whatever you do not like about the car is most likely not correct. Back in February on another board I posted the same thing. I have said all I want to say on the subject at this time.
    I would like a wagon, which might be enough to make me trade my Seville in.
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/1382342.html?page=2&c=y
    CTS is at the bottom...
    (cross posted in Cadillac Owners: Problems and Solutions)

OK, need your help on this one:

2003 CTS, 3.2L, 5spd automatic, 57,000 miles, build date March 2002.

Owned since new, all service per schedule, Mobil 1 since 10k.

Check Coolant Level warning light came on a while back. Level was down about 1/2" below "Full When Cold" line, so I topped up with 50/50 Dexcool/H2O mixture. Figured that after 3.5 years and 55k+ miles it was normal. Took about 1.5 quarts of coolant mixture to top off.

Week later, noticed a small (3") stain/puddle of coolant on the driveway after being parked for a few days. Fluid level still OK. Another week or so of regular driving, level down again, another small puddle.

Dealer service put in the tracer dye, and tell me the leak is from the rubber seals on the engine oil cooler that is (inexplicably) placed under the intake manifold.Its purpose is to regulate engine oil temperature, and it is apparently a similar design as the Opel engineered 3.0L Catera DOHC engine on which the 3.2L is based. Dealer is aware of similar leaks in the Catera. :lemon:

Here's the problem:

The thing is so inaccessible that it's 6 shop hours to R&R, and when they get in there, it could require replacing the cooler itself ($250), all of the lines, etc. Since the seals are rubber (O-ring?) type, and not regular gasket material, dealer says adding leak-stop tabs won't work. :cry:

So far, no coolant in engine oil, no catastrophic leaks. Does anyone have an opinion/recommendation on what to do here? I'd prefer not to shell out upwards of $700 to fix what is currently a "nuisance" leak, but don't want to risk major engine damage, either :confuse:
    thanks, evok. Appreciate the comments. Anything you can add about changes in mechanicals (i.e. six speed auto, mods to the engine, etc) would be appreciated.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    If I were you, I'd do just what you're doing -- nothing, with careful monitoring. Clearly, if the leakage rate increases markedly at some point, you'll probably have to cough up the $700.

In my world (aerospace), o-rings are generally well retained so that they can't blow out completely and cause anything catastrophic. But, they can deform & leak, as you've seen.

You could drive it like this for 50K miles, so long as you're willing to have puddles in your driveway or garage & don't mind adding coolant on a regular basis.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Thanks for the advice. When I picked up the car, they said they added some leak-stop tabs anyway, and couldn't be absolutely sure it wasn't a manifold gasket. Haven't noticed any puddles today, but I'm setting out the clean cardboard under the car tonight :sick:
    Hey evok,

I'm completely enamored with the CTS and would like to seriously consider a 2007 purchase. The one drawback, I live in Upstate New York (and I don't mean Westchester, I mean snow country). I've been driving SUV's for the past 10 years and have come to rely on the AWD capability of these cars.

Is there a possibility that the STS AWD option will be offered in the CTS?

I know you said you wouldn't be giving out anymore info on the 07 CTS, but this piece of information would help me, and I'm sure, others in making a decision.
    Does the 2006 CTS have cornering lights? There is no reference to this in the options.
    Looking at the pictures of both the CTS and STS, I think there are no cornering lights. The DTS appears to have them.
    It is my understanding that all the sigma vehicles will be sharing more componetry from here on out in an attempt to cut platform costs much like Infiniti has done with the FM platform. jpenn, I hope that answers your question.
    I think you're saying the answer is, yes AWD will be available on the 07 CTS.

Thank you for the answer and your insight. I know many of us would be happy to hear more of what you have.

Now, if they only would consider making a coupe !?!

Thanks.

jpenn
  • lesstl1lesstl1 Member Posts: 21
    You seem to know a lot about the new CTS redesign. I love my 2003 CTS and really want to get the next generation CTS. I am hoping Cadillac will have the redesign model released as a 2007 model, but I have been hearing rumors that they might delay it until the 2008 model year. Can you advise us which model year the redesigned CTS will be introduced?
    I do not know if it was officially delayed but the original "rumours" that I probably started are now incorrect for SOP. From my understanding the vehicle was always a 2008. It just will not be an early 2008 as I was originally lead to believe. If timing holds it should be out in less than 2 years.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I previously posted this in the wrong place. I have an 05 CTS with 13,000 miles. My wife drives it and I seldom drive it. I drove it for the first time in a long time and I could not believe the roaring of the tires. The car runs quiet and it is very annoying. The tires are not running out of alignment. Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what did you do about it?
  • sensatsensat Member Posts: 2
    I am on my second battery and my car is going on it's fouth straight week in the shop. They can't seem to figure it out. I've had my car towed out of my garage three times already. My car has also died out three different times while driving and they have no answer for it. Cadillac corporate and the dealership are not much help and pretty indifferent to my situation.
  • sensatsensat Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 CTS has died out 3 different times while driving. The dealership has no explanation for it. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    I posted a message with a temporary fix for this problem shortly after the one that you replied to. The TSB is out on this one. I don't remember the TSB #, and no longer have a copy of it. The problem is in the dimmer switch. If you place it in the full dim position the battery will not loose its charge. They explained that if you leave in the full bright position (just before the courtesy lights engage), one computer stays on and will not allow the others in the system to rest, and this kills the battery.

They have not completed the fix for this yet, but one is in the works. I now make sure that my switch is in the closed position when I get out of the car, and the battery hasn't died since. They are going to contact me when they find a suitable redisign for the dimmer switch. In the mean time they told me to just make sure the switch is closed when I'm not using the car. I hope this works for you.

thebug...
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Thanks for a most helpful post.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    still has the projector beam headlamps. I think the CTS looks abit better than the STS in this regard, they look like futuristic eyes rather than the albeit nice looking lamps in the STS.

Other cars like the 350Z and Mazda three also have lamps liek this and i think it adds to there appeal. I would say the CTS is the most futuristic looking car currently in the GM lineup.

I really hope they bump up horsepower for the next model. GM needs to beat out lexus or... at least match them. Lexus put everyone to shame with that 300hp V6. No matter what the EPA says, that engine will not get good mpg lol, less that a V8 though.

Does anyone own a 2006 CTS with the new interrior and transmission shifter? I was wondering how you liked it, b/c a review in Car and Driver trashed the interrior even though they put more wood into it. I think it looks great, I alwayse liked the look of the interrior. When it came out there was nothing like the CTS on the market, inside and out. Now its even better. I was just wondering if anyone actually has one and could tell us about it.
  • jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    So... I was in the car just parking up and drove past a black CTS here in England! I've seen billboards with Cadillac's being advertise here and i think the models that are coming here are the XLR, CTS, SRX and the STS. I was expecting when i walked past the CTS to find that it was like most American cars here and be left hand drive. However, it was right hand drive.
    I had a quick look inside and it wa black leather with the navigation system too. I didn't think much of it, i think that something like a Audi A4/A6 is a lot better inside.
    If you're looking to buy one of these... what else would you consider?
    Mercedes C, BMW 3, and if you have it there, the infiniti G35 and Lexus IS 350.

TO me, the mercedes drops out right off the bat b/c here it is just too expensive and small. The BMW ride is great but quality would make be think twice. The infiniti is like a discount CTS with a bit more power. The interrior in the CTS though I liek more and the CTS blows it away in the looks dept. IMO.

The Lexus is a different story, it has way more power but it looks to be small like the Mercedes C. I heard the rear seat room is really lacking. Not one of these cars really have a great rear seat, but the Cadillac and the G35 are the best.

Personally I like all the wood in the center stack, and I think this should have been availableform the beginning. I guarantee you that nothing looks like the CTS here or there, from what I have seen of BMW MB and Audi.

I do not think that Audi is even worth considering b/c the A4 has a horrible rear seat, and more power unlike the lexus to compensate. Although if you want to be annonymous the audi is ok. I do not think anyone who bought a CTS wants to be annonymous.
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    First of all, I would love to have the opportunity to drive my CTS through England's beautiful country side. The handling characteristics of the CTS are choice for the roads there. As a preivious poster mentioned, it would really stand out in the crowd, and that's for sure.

I like it particularly for the size, looks, the breakdown of available options, and the price. BTW, what does a CTS sell for there? Other things I learned to love about the car after I bought and drove it. The Bose sound system bathes you in music, the controls are ergonomically sound.

I did mention the handling characteristics, if not, they are awesome, the seats are comfortable, the OnStar system, it's the only new car I've owned that doesn't squeak and rattle at three years old, the service has been very good (that's very important), and of course, it's a Cadillac.

In your case it's a foreign car, and if it's like anywhere else in the world, people like things from other parts of the world because they are different. I doubt that you'd be disappointed if you drove one. At any cost, it's surely worth a closer look.

thebug...
  • gmsneadgmsnead Member Posts: 2
    On a CTS V -- I would like to put on new tires that last longer, are not self inflating and are less expensive to replace when replacement is needed. Also, the concept of having a full sized, ready to go spare tire has great appeal to me. Is there anyone out there with experience in this area. I would like to hear from you.

Thanks.
    I have a 2006 CTS, and at night, there is not enough light to insert the key into the ignition lock. Cadillac needs to design a lighted ignition cylinder like Lincoln. This is my only complaint of the car at this point.
  • jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    The CTS starts at £24 850 - £29 850. I rad a lot of car magazines hear and Cadillac and the CTS have been advertised in them a lot. Heres a review from a website http://www.whatcar.com/RoadTest_quickSearchResult.asp?cboQSMake=51&cboQSModel=25288&hidBod- ies=2&hidSearchType=quicksearch&hidQSNewUsed=1
    Its a magazines site and one where Cadillac advertise quite a bit. Theres a TV show here called Top Gear and when they test drove the CTS-V, they took it to the Nuburgring in Germany where Cadillac actually used that track to develop the suspension, and they said it was the first Cadillac/American car that can go around a corner!!

In terms of its price, Vs compact exec cars e.g. 3 series, its more, but compared to larger exec cars e.g. 5 series its cheaper.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    It IS right hand drive ! Is the car assembled in the
    US as a RHD car then exported?
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    A modified version of BBC's TopGear is also broadcast in the United States on the Discovery Channel. It's broadcast without the news and chat sections and has new studio segments filmed specifically for the north american audience. It's currently on hiatus but hopefully it will reappear on Discovery Channel's schedule in the near future.
  • panzerpanzer Member Posts: 125
    You better check that a full size spare tire and wheel will fit in the hole in the trunk. I doubt it.

I have a regular CTS and it has V-rated tires. They wear pretty quickly. That is the price you pay for sharp handling. To put on S-rated tires, that last much longer, would mean a handling and braking penalty, not to mention issues with high speed durability. That would be foolish for a CTS-V, which goes like hell. You may not have control over who drives it and how fast. As for crippling the handling and braking potential of that car with crappy tires, I think that's a crime, but it is still America, the land of the free.

There is not a tire shop in the country that would install tires that are not appropriate for your car, for liability reasons. You may be able to buy the right size tires that are not runflats, but you better have the spare situation figured out.
    where did you get that name? Usually skinheads use it b/c of the [non-permissible content removed] affiliation thats why i'm asking :surprise:

its a good think Cadillacs are making it globally again. It will play a big part in resurrecting the prestige of the brand.

And yes, it is very prestigious.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    The full size spare had better fit in the well, otherwise what do you do with the blown tire until you can get it repaired or replaced? :confuse: