Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• bordercopbordercop Member Posts: 11
    I have been carrying 2 kayaks and at times also 2 bikes on the Thule rack installed on the rails without additional tie downs and I must admit the rails flex abit much at times but so far so good. I do go on highways at 70 plus and backroads which are really testy. Hope for the best.....
  • turbanskiturbanski Member Posts: 85
    In case anyone is interested, I have an 05 Pacifica Touring AWD with 4,000 miles. Just had my 5 star activate the daytime running lights (DRL). The cost was $35.00 (labor time). In operation the inboard lights (high beams) are on at about 50% of full brightness.
  • djagdjag Member Posts: 39
    What is a "5 star"? Is that a dealer?
    Yes it is a dealer.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    The door switch could be defective, and make contact by itself ??? Just a guess ...

That's why I love so much my 1988 Volvo. No computers ! No "modules" ! Nothing to break ! It just keeps driving forever ... 17 years and counting ... tomorrow I drive it again !!!

By the way, new Volvos are full of electronic garbage. I guess they have the most of it, that's why they are at the bottom of the reliability list.

I chose the Pacifica because it was the only one available without the biggest electronic danger of all times, named "Stability Control". Imagine when instead of stupidly deciding to move your chair, a sick computer will stupidly decide to suddenly brake your front left wheel, and steer you into the incoming truck, in a fraction of a second ! That will happen to somebody. It's just a question of time. Those wires and "modules" need time to rust, crack and malfunction. The Firestone scandal was piece of cake in comparison with the future "Stability Control" scandal. I wonder who will be the manufacturer who will pay the legal bills ...
    It can get a lot worse than your chair moving by itself. For years I was predicting that the "safety" VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) systems will actually kill people when malfunctioning. I am a Test electrical engineer. Fortunately Pacifica is not VSC equipped. It's one of the reasons why I bought it.

But the famous "reliability queen" Toyota Sienna is VSC equipped.

Go in the
    "Toyota Sienna Owners: Problems & Solutions (2004+)"
    and read the post
    #1295 of 1745 vsc problem by arosati Feb 16, 2005 (10:27 am)

I wonder when manufacturers will understand that giving electronics the right to brake, steer, cut engine power, move chairs etc etc could become deadly for us and an immense liability for them ???
    ################################################
    I paste the Toyota Sienna post here:

I have a 2004 sienna and I'd like to know if anyone has seen a problem similar to this. While driving approx 40mph on a straight and dry road the trac and vsc light went on. this was immediately followed by a rapid beeper going off in the dash. What followed next was dangerous - the steering wheel pulled sharply to the left( i believe the front left brake was being applied) the accelerator was disabled.(no physical damage to people or property) After the car slowed to 5mph the lights and beeping and braking all stopped - when you speed up to 5mph it all happens again. - sounds like fun? The car was nice enough to repeat this event to the toyota service manager. They found a toyota tsb telling of a 'steering angle sensor' problem that when occurs continually activates the vsc.
    The car thinks its skidding through a sharp turn and is correcting - when its actually going straight. This tsb only affects 'early model year' siennas and sequoias -- These cars share some of the same vsc parts. They claim the steering sensor has been re engineered to return an error code that would disable the system when the part malfunctions rather than the incorrect steering angle. - There were no fault codes gathered in the onboard computer. The service manager also mentioned (unofficially) that the only way he knew of to the disable the vsc (not traction control) was to pull and short the wires going to the brake fluid sensor - the vsc turns itself off when you are low on brake fluid. The car is still at the dealer Id like to have any feedback before I have to pick it up tomorrow. thanks
    axr6 when it's your Pacifica manufactured ? It's written on the inside of the driver's door.
    Also it's a FWD or an AWD ?

I would say yours is made after September 28, 2004, but I could be wrong. It's because probably your lower control arms were OK. I have the clunking sound too and I am trying to get clues about it. My dealer replaced the sway bar links, but the clunk is still there.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Have your dealer check the front sway bar bushings. I have a 03 Caravan which was clunking on going up or down the driveway or if I hit a chuckhole, they replaced the bushings (2) and the noise has disappeared.Under Warranty.
  • axr6axr6 Member Posts: 42
    My 05 was manufactured during 05/2004. I suspect that it is some transmission or drive-shaft noise resulting from too wide manufacturing tolerances. It regularly occurs when the car shifts gears and more so when I use the auto stick a lot.
    axr6,
    This is what scares me, and that's why I don't have the courage to go back to the dealership. Why in the world they replaced your lower control arms if obviously your clunking is transmission related ?!? Obviously it didn't fix the noise !!!

It's interesting I got a call from the cute customer service lady. She says I am due for maintenance. Well ... I need to drink something to get some courage ... if I have a suspension noise perhaps they will replace my transmission ? Just kidding.
    Perhaps next year ...
  • tirnaog1tirnaog1 Member Posts: 2
    Good evening all,

We just took a test drive and noticed that the DVD player was labeled:
    DVD Audio/Video.
    We are wondering if this player actually plays DVD-Audio discs ?

Thanks in advance :)
  • chilehead1chilehead1 Member Posts: 5
    Still enjoying my 2004 Pacifica - nearly one year old now. Wished the mileage were better - avg. 17 city/highway mix. Got just about everything in it, including the blue tooth enabled rear view mirror.

Question - does anyone know if an update is available for the GPS CD?
  • pacificajusspacificajuss Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 2005 with the dvd system. YES the DVD changer will store up to 5 audio CD's or 5 DVD's or any combination of 5.My wife and I took a couple hour drive up north and I tried out the DVD system and the CD's. I was able to swap between the DVD and the audio CD just by pushing the button that matches the disk you want to view/hear .
    AS an aside Sitting in the second row watching a DVD as you cruise down the highway was GREAT! It was as comfortable as my living room.
    I hope this helps answer your question.

Good Luck
  • tristan1tristan1 Member Posts: 39
    I have 04' awd w/ 21k I just purchased k&n filter. I noticed a good pull on higher rpm's and it did help a bit on gas mileage. Installation took about 20mins. I highly recommend it.
  • deasundeasun Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the reply but when I say DVD-Audio disc I dont mean a CD.
    These DVD-Audio discs are to CDs what CDs were to cassette taps or Records.
    Crystal clear sound that really makes you feel like your next to the band members. Full surround sound.
    We have a player in our house and once you've heard these discs you'd wish you could replace all your CDs. :)

I was just wondering if anyone has tried one out in the DVD-player. These type of discs wont play in your normal CD player or even in your regular DVD player. But they will play CDs and DVDs.

Anyone tried them ? {This would probably seal the deal for us.}
  • davem4davem4 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to remove the radio from a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica?

What plastic dashboard part comes off, in what order? Do you need special tools? I don't want to break the plastic parts trying to get to the radio.
  • hraohrao Member Posts: 78
    Pacifica is:
    IIHS Insurance institute for highway safety offset crash - best pick
    Has the best rollover rating from NHTSA
    Has the best frontal crash test rating - 5 Stars
    Has the best side impact rating - 5 Stars
  • si88si88 Member Posts: 39
    I am posting this under this heading also.

I know that this is probably a dumb idea so I thought I'd post it here to see who might give a reply. I just purchased a 2006 Pacifica FWD with heated leather and the 6 disc CD/DVD player as the only options. We couldn't find one in town with the few options we wanted (side air bags, auto hatchback, rear park sensor) that was not fully loaded and priced out of our range. So its been bugging me ever since I did all this research but couldn't find the car we wanted and had to settle on this one.

So now I find a used 2005 AWD that has all the above desired options with just under 30K miles on e-bay thats 500 miles away. My dumb idea is to offer a trade for the used pacifica for my brand new 2006!?! I know I am probably an idiot for thinking about this but I am not very happy with the base model we purchased. Plus I know I'll probably take a bath by losing out the on the warranty and the residual value, but I really want those options.

Can someone please talk some logic to me? :confuse:
  • steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    Dumb. I am sure you researched , but I feel sure you could have found a new Pacifica with your desired options if you had originally searched a 500 mile radius from your house.

What you have is a case of buyer's remorse. Take a vacation, upgrade your other toys with all of the money you saved by passing on the ebay special........Who knows , that little cream puff may have been titled in New Orleans......

If all this fails, talk to your CPA, he/she will knock some sense into you, and your acute case of upgraditis will go away in time............. ;)
  • millpark26millpark26 Member Posts: 14
    Found these pics on the 'net. Anyone know if they are the 2006 or 2007 Pacifica?

http://www.autocity.com/galerias/ver_galeria.html?c=122#
  • nelson33nelson33 Member Posts: 100
    Neither. That has to be the early "concept" Pacifica before production. I wish my Pac had a cool sun roof like that.
  • gkdavidsongkdavidson Member Posts: 1
    It is fairly easy to remove the radio. There are three plastic parts which you must remove. While you do not need a special tool, I suggest you either get one or get a hard plastic screw driver. Otherwise you run the risk of scratching the trim parts. Here's the order of removal:

1) Trim piece around the gear shift lever. While you don't technically need to remove this piece, I suggest you do so as it will make removal of the next two pieces much easier. Pry from the rear of the piece to pop it up. You do not have to completely remove it but just loosen if from the other pieces.

2) Trim piece to the left of the radio. Remove by prying first at the top of the piece about one third in from the far left. You'll need to get your pry tool in about two to three inches. Once the first fastner pops, move your tool to about one third in from the right side and pry until the second fastner pops. There is one more fastner about two thirds down the piece which you can pop by hand. Also, the trim piece around the ignition will pop off with the left side trim piece.

3) Trim piece to the right of the radio. Use same technique as left piece. There are only two fastners on this piece.

To reinstall reverse the above. Pay particular attention to getting the lower tab of the left and right pieces into the slots. You will see a piece of red felt behind the slots.
  • mcflacomcflaco Member Posts: 1
    It mosdef was the "concept". If you notice the concept has the "new" Mercedes R-class sun roof and the turn signals on the mirrors. "New" Mercedes ideas have to come from somewhere!
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    Maybe most people here know this, but I just noticed on the Chrysler site that the 3.8 liter engine is no longer available for 2006. Since it was in only some of the 2005 Pacificas, I can't help but wonder how many of the problems mentioned here are related just to this engine. My 3.5 has never quit, and I can count on one hand the number of times I had to turn the key twice to start the car in over 30 months.

I also took my first test drive in a 300C this past weekend. Since this is Chrysler's luxury car, I expected more from the interior. My Pacifica has spoiled me. The 300C's AC is all controlled by knobs and doesn't seem to have any auto features. The Pacifica's instruments are also far superior. I still like the 300C. It will probably be my wife's choice for a new car to replace her '96 Infiniti. But I appreciated the comfort and luxury of my Pacifca even more when I got back into it for the drive home.
    I never understood the addition of the 3.8 in the first place. What did it do for the car? The car is heavy as is w. the 3.5L. Why put in a less powerful engine? It would be interesting to see if the stalling issue is related to the 3.8L but I'm not sure. I was very concerned about the stalling issue w. my 3.5. Up to the point that I was looking for it to happen, but nothing so far. I really like this car. Nothing more frustrating than dishing out your money on a car that stalls, I totally feel for them.

I want to like the 300, but that rear end doesn't do it for me at all. Just a bit too plain for my taste. They could have done better back there, IMO. I agree about the interior, the plastics are not horrible but certainly not inviting either. Those engineers should have spent a little more time in german cars for inspiration. You're absolutely right, try to make the 300 upscale and not have an auto climate control system?

Speaking of climate control. Have you noticed if the Pac's auto-climate control turns on the defrost automatically or does that have to be done manually? Quite a few times, I get in the car expecting the system to clear up the windshield, only to end up doing it manually. It never comes on. The AC turns on when needed when the temp is warm but no the defrost on humid days. I could swear my 99 Intrepid ACC handled this task
    Maybe I'm wrong.
  • millpark26millpark26 Member Posts: 14
    They're probably gearing up for the hemi offering when the 2007's come out this Summer. Chrysler has signed a contract with Tesma to supply a new six-speed transmission to match up to the 5.7-liter HEMI engine for the 2007 Pacifica.
    That will be a very competitive car. But now who is Tesma? Is that an american company? Or is this something from Daimler/Mercedes?
    Well ... Pacifica's gas consumption is not low with the 3.5 liter engine. The HEMI will be definitely thirstier, and with these raising gas prices ... I don't know ...

I read in the newspaper that Delphi (the biggest American parts manufacturer) just bankrupted because people don't buy SUVs anymore (gas price related).

Definitely a HEMI powered Pacifica would be very nice, but I don't think I would buy it. Just thinking ... isn't a V8 engine lack of respect for the planet ??
  • meggabitzmeggabitz Member Posts: 6
    :confuse: I have an 2005 Pacifica touring w/AWD. We get the clunking sound when we brake (normally) and turn at slow speeds, both sounds are noticeable at 10mphs. I can recreate the sound every time for the mechanics. So far they have replaced the transfer case ( Power Transfer Case, aka Viscous Coupling), and they have also stated that Chrysler posted a bulletin about installing axle bushings (spacers). Now the car is back in the shop, but at a different dealership. they called today and stated there was another bulletin from chrysler stating they would have to replace the control arms also along with some drain tubes that were defective (also a bulletin posted). The leak was substantial, the drivers side floor must have had a gallon of water there. :mad: :lemon: :lemon:
  • margo1204margo1204 Member Posts: 11
    Yes, you should stay away form the PAC b/c it is a piece of crap!!! We have had ours for 3 months and I can't WAIT to get rid of it!!! It has been the WORST car experience of my life. There is no way, no matter what "employee" pricing is doing--we will never buy Chrysler again. Going to stick to FOREIGN vehicles.
  • djagdjag Member Posts: 39
    My 2005 Limited is a terrific vehicle with NO problems. I have had all the foreign luxo sedans and they have many problems as well. Toyota has engines that gum up and die, Merc has had many problems just read the posts, I had a 525 with a bad tranny. Most foreign cars are made in the US anyway. I dont think any foreign brand is without some problems. The actual difference between all models and makes is actually diminishing. I have a Jag S model that has been totally trouble free. By the way I think Lincoln gets the highest new car ratings now even higher the Lexus.
    I agree w. you. I am enjoying this car. It feels like a true quality product. The only issue, if you can call it that, I have is a creaking sound that occurs when I'm backing out to the right. But it's just an unpleasant noise. So far, it's not indicative of any future problem. I will go insane if I start freaking out over every sound that occurs. From what I've read at other car forums, every car seems to have a unique niggling problem. Apparently for the Pac, it's a stalling issue and front end noises. It might be the reason why Consumer Reports has removed it from it's recommended list for November, don't know. I've never had a stalling problem w. any car and I hope I never do.

The irony is that when people buy American cars w. problems, they say they will never buy the car again. However, when a European car gives similar problems, you don't get the same angry response. There is an amazing percption of quality in non-amercan cars than american cars. Look at Land Rover and VW's reliabilty surveys. Owners have problems but they still love their cars because they drive so wonderfully and are so luxuriously appointed.. Interesting. That's what happens when you buy an american car w. a bad reputation, you don't enjoy it because you're waiting for something to happen cuz it's expected. But for now, I am going to enjoy this car.
  • meggabitzmeggabitz Member Posts: 6
    Not sure of the TSB # but they replaced both lower control arms.
    The sound is gone. I am not sure about the leak yet, but they said it wasn't drain tubes (that TSB is about the A/C drain on the passenger side), but they sealed something on the cowel.
    :D :shades:
  • axr6axr6 Member Posts: 42
    Glad to hear your clunking sound fixed by replacing the lower control arms.

In my case that replacement did not do it, it is still clunking. I am very confident that the sound is transaxle related. I'll wait to see if it gets any worse, before I take it back. I could live with the present noise, if it is what I think it is: a wide tolerance part in the transaxle.
  • thimmakerthimmaker Member Posts: 33
    I'm glad somebody finally mentioned a "wide tolerance part". Any assembly of complicated parts such as an all wheel drive needs a wide tolerance of each part during manufactureing in order to all fit together under all conditions. Hot,cold,dry, wet. It all has to work. I,ve had all the clicks,pops,clunks and other noises and have basically just ignored them. My 04 will click over to 60,000 next week and its been one of the the most troublefree cars i,ve owned. I did finally have the sway bar links (one of the noises) replaced this week but only because they were worn out. Some of these owners should try enjoying the car instead of analizing it. They,ll sleep better.
    An American Car Fan.(parts from everywhere)
  • srullosrullo Member Posts: 1
    Now that I have purchased a new disc for my car how do I get the old one out? It does not pop out like a regular dvd or cd. Anyone know?
  • adniladnil Member Posts: 8
    NO, this isn't a post about a decision between the two.

Last week I was traveling south on I-95, and slowed with braking/stopping traffic ahead of me. My Pacifica safely came to full stop but the Windstar coming in behind me didn't. The jolt was hard enough to dislodge my 4 year olds empty car seat and jar my husband and me a bit.

When we got out of the car, I was expecting to see the rear gate smashed in. :sick: The first thing I saw was the Windstar with its front in completely wrecked. What I saw on the Pacifica astounded me... barely nothing. A few scuffs on the bumper with minimal separation between the plastic and fiber glass and the bumper is a little loose. In fact, I was leaning against the tail gate and the damage could not be seen. The trooper thought I was witness. (Well I was, I guess, but now how he thought)

The Pacifica truly proved its 5 star rating and if I had to buy another car tomorrow, it would be another Pac! ;)

L
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    I filled out a survey the other day from Mercedes concerning their new R-Class. One question asked how I would classify the R-Class: Station Wagon, SUV, Minivan or something completely new and different. I'm sure the Mercedes people wanted respondents to pick the last choice, but they are three years late for that! The R-Class is a $50K+ Pacifica. I was expecting to be wowed by the interior when I sat in one but I saw very little difference from my Pac. I'm sure the R's transmission makes a difference in performance and the glass roof is really nice, but my next car (which is still about five years away) would still be a Pacifica, unless I can afford to get the Mercedes CLS500 when the time comes. Now there is something different and sexy!
  • rfriedkinrfriedkin Member Posts: 1
    We got our 2005 AWD Pacifica about 2 weeks ago. So far,it's been great and we really are enjoying it. We plan to use it as a "toad" (dinghy) behind our motorhome, with all four wheels down. We are having a Remco transmission lube pump installed as recommended by the RV groups and the RV dealer. Anyone had experience with this type of setup?
  • steelydan0613steelydan0613 Member Posts: 144
    Why do feel the AWD is necessary? Do you usually travel in northern states with your motorhome and Pacifica in tow?

I was born in Houston, Tx. , I can assure you in the South , AWD is a joke and a marketing ploy.........It sounds good, so does a $3000 gas generator during our next Hurricane Rita (another media hype).................
  • bbhammerbbhammer Member Posts: 1
    I had the same creeking sound... brought it to the dealer, the first time, no problem found... the second time, I made sure the service advisor came with me on a test ride, did the samething, backup and turn and as always, there was the noise. He immediately said, it is the PTO (power take off) and that they had them in stock. Seems this is a common problem. Picked it up later that day, no problems since.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    I think that AWD is a marketing ploy for most of the country. I have a 1995 Suburban which I have driven through 4 Midwest and North West (E wa and idaho) winters. In over 53,000 miles, I believe that I have had the 4x4 engaged for about 200 miles and that is in a rear wheel drive vehicle with all season tires. I have just bought a Honda Odyssey because I realized that I don't need 4 wheel drive.
    That noise seems to be more of an annoyance issue than a problem. I still have not scheduled to bring the car in. The noise has, pretty much, gone away already. It's kind of strange that every problem that I've encountered has not re surfaced on my vehicle. Stalling? after that one stall incident, switched back to 89 octane and changed gas stations as a precaution, gone. Creaking on reverse, going away. Is this the calm before the storm? It's quiet, too quiet.
    It's cooooomiiiiing !!!
    ;)
    I read in today's newspaper that Chrysler plants run at 100% capacity, for the 1st time since 1999 !

Honestly, Pacifica is one of the greatest cars on the planet. :shades:
  • scquattlscquattl Member Posts: 7
    Hello, everyone. I will be replacing a 1999 Plymouth Neon in the spring (2006). I have been researching the Pacifica and Dodge Magnum. This will be the wife's car (We don't like the look of Mini-Vans) used to commute about 50 mile round trip per day and haul the 2 kids and their stuff around. Our other car is a 2002 Dodge Durango (which I love) and is used for long hauls. Love that 3rd row seat. We live in St. Louis, so FWD vs. RWD vs. AWD is on my mind. Also, like most everyone else, MPG. Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    I would go with the Pacifica FWD in your situation. I have an 05 Pacifica Touring AWD (7,500 mi)and love it. So far I have hauled (on separate occasions)two Lazy Boy recliners and a large screen TV, all in the original shipping cartons with ease. The ride and handling are superb and the standard equipment provided is hard to beat. I live in a western New York State snowbelt and need the AWD which has been un-stopable so far. In St Louis the FWD should do just fine and give you better MPG.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I have 2 additional questions for you. 1) What has your MPG been, approximately? 2) What is the leg room like in the 3rd row seat? I have a 4 and 10 year old and I am wondering if there is enough room for both of them.

Thanks again.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    This Fall I had to choose a new company car, and I chose the Pacifica over the Magnum mainly because of the front wheel drive. I drive from Cincinnati to Saint Louis once in awhile on company business, and I have got caught in the snow a couple of times. I don't think you want your wife and kids in a rear wheel drive car during a Saint Louis winter. I have 6400 miles on my 2006 and I enjoy the handling and the upscale interior. See if the sales person will give you a 24 hour test drive.
    Thanks.

From what I have read, the Pacifica is a great long distance vehicle, would you agree? Also, what is your approximate MPG?

Thanks for the feedback.