Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    If you are on your 5th minivan, that must be what you are destined to drive, however...
    Some things you can get on a Pacifica, but not the T&C are:
    3.5l engine
    Autostick
    Adjustable pedals
    4 heated seats
    foldaway third seat
    moonroof
    Infiniti 5.1 sound system
    Navigation system
    EVIC programable everything
    5 star crash rating on all 4 tests
    Style
    Still don't get it? Buy the minivan!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    According to chrysler.com, you CAN get a moonroof and adjustable pedals on a T&C.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    It would seem that the Pacifica is aimed at people who need some of the utility of a minivan, but don't think a minivan is 'cool' enough. Fair enough. But if you look at the recent Car and Driver, the Pacifica did 0-60 in 9.3 sec. Flip over a few pages and see that the minivan (Toyota Sienna) did 0-60 in 7.8 sec. They commented in the Sienna article that the Honda Odyssey was actually a bit faster than that even. I can't imagine buying a Pacifica, thinking I have a 'cooler' car than minivan owners, only to have them blow me away in the old Stop Light Grand Prix.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    my mistake, sorry. I myself am more of a Tu-95 Bear fan :)
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    You're right Russki: my T&C awd doesn't have a 3.5 engine. It has a 3.8l engine. Oh, I also really love the electric sliding doors so my kidz don't ding our other car. My point: for utility no SUV or large station wagon will match a minvan. Try putting a tandem bike inside your Pacifica. Don't get defensive, man!
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I looked at the T&C at the same time that I looked at the Pacifica. Clearly, the T&C has it all over the Pacifica when it comes to "utility". I did think that the Pacifica had more luxury features and higher quality materials, such as the leather. Perhaps the next generation minivans will adopt most of the Pacifica features and quality touches. The T&C price point would seem to allow for this.
  • esswebessweb Member Posts: 51
    8th time in 5 months, by the end of the year...you do the math!

DCX, Ford boost '03 model year prices again

By JOHN K. TEAHEN JR. | Automotive News

DETROIT -- The Chrysler group has completed its May price increase, and Ford Division has boosted the stickers on its pickups and some vans and SUVs.

The Chrysler group increase averages $173 on cars and light trucks, an Automotive News analysis finds.

The breakdown by brands is Chrysler, $150; Dodge, $189; and Jeep, $155. The figures are sales-weighted.

Ford Division's hike amounted to $60 when sales-weighted against the entire spectrum of Ford trucks.

Ford F-150 pickups went up $150, the Expedition SUVs rose $180, and E-series vans climbed $120.

This is the eighth price boost of the 2003 model year for the Chrysler group and the seventh for Ford Division.
  • grbelotegrbelote Member Posts: 25
    Would some of you Pacifica owners please share you gas mileage numbers ,hwy. and in town. Thank you very much. Punk
  • b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    17.8 mpg with my driving being about 60%-40% city/hwy. My Pacifica has 3,000 miles.
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    From 2/2 Wall Street Journal, page B5:

"Chrysler added the first incentives on the new Pacifica sport-utility vehicle last week, an action that marketing officials had said they would be reluctant to take early on."

Now for the vent: I looked at it over the weekend and just don't get it. Supposed to be a crossover SUV? Like Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Volvo, BMW, etc.?

Well the interior is one of the best I've seen in a Chrysler. And a good amount of cargo room.

But it doesn't have that "elevated" look & driving position that you get with the other crossovers (the ones that pretend to be trucks), rather it seems a low-slung wagon/minivan hybrid.

Instead of seating for 7 or 5 (third row down), it seats 6 or 4; the center console down the middle strikes me as a huge waste of space. Those 2nd row controls don't need to be there, should be seating for another passenger.

And with the sunroof installed I brush my hair on the headliner. So I didn't bother to drive it.

For a niche wagon I think its very well executed, if it meets your needs I think you'll be happy. But its not the mainstream crossover SUV that I thought Chrysler was building. Last I heard the annual sales target was 100,000; that's very high for a niche vehicle so I'm not surprised about the incentives... already.
  • cpisanocpisano Member Posts: 23
    I'm sad to say but I agree. I think Chrysler missed the boat on this. I have been waiting to test drive the Pacifica since I first heard about it. Based on everything from pricing to power and accommodations I don't think I will. When this car was announced it was supposed to be segment busting. What I remember Chrysler management saying is the this would be to $25K and above segment what the cruiser is to its segment. Where did the $25K go? At the current price it is obvious that the rebating needed to start. If Chrysler would have priced it realistically, let it build some momentum, then gradually raised the price they may have had a winner.
  • hayemhayem Member Posts: 8
    hey punk, I'm a month old newbie on the block with 1250 miles, and I am at 16.3 mpg on my new pacifica, still a TREAT to drive, and lovin every minute of it, my driving is all city/ stop and go I cant wait till later this month till I get to go on highway and mountain driving on our family vacation
    Hey Rkuehn, haven't you ever been the middle passenger in a second row. It stinks. I'd much rather be the fifth man in the third row of the Pacifica. Chrysler has given maximum luxury and space for the two people that occupy the second row, which is perfect for me. Try lowering and tilting back the front seat. Unless you're 6'6", you should be happy with a test drive. You'll be surprised how elevated you are.
    I NEVER sit in the middle of the 2nd row (especially when I own the car). Problem is what if you want to carry 5 people and a decent load of cargo? That middle position is never desirable but for a family-oriented vehicle (how else would you get to 100,000 units?) it needs to be more flexible in the second row.

Besides, what's taking up that space? A plastic console? Waste of space. Those climate controls belong on the backside of the front console. They should have done a bench seat shaped with two buckets, with a folding armrest in the center that could be moved up to allow a third position in the second row.

Yeah, the height thing is a problem, can't fit in the Acura, Lexus, or BMW with a sunroof (soon-to-be wife insists on one). The Volvo, however, fits just fine... tall Swedes?
    A bench seat would give third row occupants a closed-in feeling. The open space is what gives the Pacifica its unique feeling of comfort.
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    I really like the second row console in the Pacifica. I think it's a different approach, successful in providing second row passengers "first class" accommodations. The new Nissan Maxima has the option of split bucket seats in the rear, again separated by a console. As others have said, who actually uses the middle seat anyway?

I also wonder why some people seem to think that the Pacifica is so outrageously priced. Show me a similarly equipped crossover/SUV/minivan/wagon for less. I don't think you'll find one.

As for the 100,000 projected annual sales, I agree, that's quite an ambitious number. Chrysler has said that it expects just 60,000 sales in the first year. But once lower-priced trim levels arrive later in the year, making the Pacifica accessible to more buyers, I don't think they'll have trouble meeting the 60,000 projection.
  • sawchaksawchak Member Posts: 2
    Got my Pacifica on Saturday -- it's a joy to drive (at least compared to my 1992 Volvo!).

Has anyone found a good option for a trash can that will stay put and not block the A/C vents in this car? Specific models and sources would be helpful to many, I'm sure -- No one wants trash floating around this beauty.

Any thoughts on the legitimacy of the $493 in advertising charges that the dealers around here (North Carolina) include in the "invoice" price? I got mine for about $500 under this "invoice" price.
  • pacificaoregonpacificaoregon Member Posts: 38
    To all of those bashing the roominess and cargo capabilities. This past weekend my parents were visiting. I picked them up from the airport in my new Pacifica. Me driving, Dad in front, Mom in second row, 4 year old teathered and latched in second row and 7 year old in 3rd row. Other 3 row seat was folded down and had two large hardside suitcases on it. The rear cargo area held their rollaway carryon bags just fine. If that isn't convenience than I don't know what is. We were also all able to travel to dinners out which included my wife for a total of six passengers. One trip even include myself who is 6'0" and my mom who is 5'10" riding in the 3rd row together without any discomfort. Of course watching Monsters, Inc. on the way to the restaurant was a hoot to boot.

I'm very satisfied at how much utility this vehicle has. I like the bucket second row for the times when we might have two teathered seats in the second row and then the older kids can easily climb into the 3rd row since you wouldn't be able to tumble the 2nd row seats forward with teathered kids seats.

My greatest joy is having the massive memory settings that are all linked to the key fob. No more having to adjust everything when I drive it or when my wife drives it. This was our most desired feature and it sure lives up to my expectations.

Hope others out there will give it more of a look since it seems fairly priced for it's utility and in my opinion better comfort than the MDX, RX 330 (no 3rd row seat), or the Infiniti FX35, (also no 3rd row seat). Didn't compare it to the Volvo simply because I couldn't get past the ultra high price and still lacking some key options that I felt were important when shelling out 40k plus.
  • patty64patty64 Member Posts: 22
    I read in the manual that the Sentry Key feature is not compatible with the remote locking system. Does this make sense to anyone? At first it sounded like this Sentry key thing was great, but the last sentence in the manual indicated that it was not supported on remote locking systems.
  • acraftonacrafton Member Posts: 99
    I posted a month or so ago on my thoughts on the Pacifica and made a comment that it could be Chrysler's 'Edsel'. . .well, based on WSJ articles and the ads in the local paper, this appears to be closer to the truth than I thought.

First, I think the Pacifica is beautiful and well done - it is just overpriced and doesn't 'fit' the market. So, I am not bashing the vehicle per se. Those of you that have them - great, enjoy.

Anyway, Chrysler had expected to keep the 'hot' Pacifica at/around MSRP until the fall - oops! They have been discounted for a month or so and the ad I just read (DFW area) is for $4500 off MSRP - that is a staggeringly huge discount on a totally new vehicle. There are also plenty in stock at the dealerships I have driven by (an more being parked all the time).

Contrast this with vehicles like the Toyota Sienna '04 (similar target markets). These are hardly being discounted and none are available. Even the 'old' Honday Odyssey is not as plentiful or as heavily discounted and is several years old. The Volvo XC90 MSRPs at roughly the same price and is not being incented (and won't be for a long time).

I expect Chrysler to drop the overall MSRP in a year or so, come out with some bare bones models, and incent like crazy to move these things.

Long term depreciation is going to be scary - along the same lines as the Chrysler T&C - which means huge hits over time. The sudden and huge incentives will impact depreciation as well.

Just my .02
  • mrpacifiedmrpacified Member Posts: 7
    The split second row seats are perfect for us 99% of the time. If we had a third child however, I'm not sure it's a great solution. There is simply no way you can compare the comfort that two adults experience in the second row of this car with any of it's presumed competitors. I had been set on the Acura MDX as a replacement for our Mazda MPV van until the Pacifica came along. Our use is probably typical of many 2 child families:

Solo wife and two kids - 75% of the time
    All four of us - 20% (including frequent weekend trips)
    Occasions to use 5th and 6th seats - 5%, and probably less than that if I'm realistic.

If you haul lots of people or kids frequently, it doesn't work. If there are four of you and you want supreme comfort for all four and a 100lb Golden Retriever, the Pacifica can't be beat.
    I posted a month or so ago on my thoughts on the Pacifica and made a comment that it could be Chrysler's 'Edsel'. . .well, based on WSJ articles and the ads in the local paper, this appears to be closer to the truth than I thought.

First, I think the Pacifica is beautiful and well done - it is just overpriced and doesn't 'fit' the market. So, I am not bashing the vehicle per se. Those of you that have them - great, enjoy.

Anyway, Chrysler had expected to keep the 'hot' Pacifica at/around MSRP until the fall - oops! They have been discounted for a month or so and the ad I just read (DFW area) is for $4500 off MSRP - that is a staggeringly huge discount on a totally new vehicle. There are also plenty in stock at the dealerships I have driven by (an more being parked all the time).

Contrast this with vehicles like the Toyota Sienna '04 (similar target markets). These are hardly being discounted and none are available. Even the 'old' Honday Odyssey is not as plentiful or as heavily discounted and is several years old. The Volvo XC90 MSRPs at roughly the same price and is not being incented (and won't be for a long time).

I expect Chrysler to drop the overall MSRP in a year or so, come out with some bare bones models, and incent like crazy to move these things.

Long term depreciation is going to be scary - along the same lines as the Chrysler T&C - which means huge hits over time. The sudden and huge incentives will impact depreciation as well.

Just my .02
  • smpoolsmpool Member Posts: 33
    I've been searching for the Pacifica's FWD curb weight and turning radius. I've looked at Chrysler's, Edmund's and other websites, but have not found any info. Does anyone know where I can find these specs?
    Pacificaoregon, svevar, mrpacified; you're all so right. The Pacifica hit its target dead center. And there are lots of us in U.S.A. The Sienna and Odyssey were never even a thought. A similarly equipped XC90 "at roughly the same price" Acrafton? You use a strange kind of math.
  • oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    "They have been discounted for a month or so and the ad I just read (DFW area) is for $4500 off MSRP - that is a staggeringly huge discount on a totally new vehicle."
    Um...for one thing the incetives on the Pacifica will expire in August (unlike most domestic incentives), and will only be $1000 plus $500 if you already lease a Chrysler, not $4500. My parents purchased their well equiped Pacifica for a little over $36,000. That price is on par with other less equiped crossovers like the Nissan Murano, and Toyota 4-Runner, which both can run up to $40,000. PLEASE STOP BASHING THE PACIFICA.
  • thenebean9thenebean9 Member Posts: 37
    the nissan murano, completely loaded, top of the line has an MSRP of $37,885. this includes options such as:

• Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)*
    • Traction Control System (TCS)
    • Tire Pressure Monitor System
    • Nissan Navigation System with GPS DVD-based atlas and 7.0" color LCD monitor.
    • Roof rails
    • Power-adjustable pedals
    • 225-watt digital Bose® audio system with AM/FM/cassette/in-dash 6-CD Changer
    •Seven Bose speakers, including Nd® woofer and two tweeters
    • Radio Data System (RDS)
    • Retractable cargo cover
    • Rear cargo net
    • Leather-appointed seats
    • Memory system — driver's seat, adjustable pedals and outside mirrors
    • Driver's seat entry/exit system
    • 4-way power front-passenger's seat
    • Power sliding glass sunroof with pre-select switch and anti-pinch feature.
    • Heated front seats
    • Heated outside mirrors
    (and TONS more if you look at just the standard features, these are options added on)

now consider that nissan like to make way too many of their cars, then have a whole bunch sit on the lots, and imagine the price you could get on that, considering the MSRP price.

im not bashing the pacifica (in fact, this may only be my second post here) but i think it may be a tad bit overpriced, and IMO it looks like a spruced up minivan. but, to each his own! if you love your pacifica, that is all that matters :-)

-thenebean
    Don't know what they are selling for in your part of the world but the Dallas Morning News, 6/3/03, Page 2F has a dealer add for the Pacifica for $4500 off MSRP and "over 30 available".

Adam
  • maxmommaxmom Member Posts: 62
    smpool:

Base Curb Weight - Automatic Trans-4482.00 lb for FWD
    (4675.00 lb for AWD model)

Towing Capacity - Maximum- 3500 lb

Fuel Tank Capacity - FuelCapacity-23.0 gal

Hope this helps!
    Hadn't quite thought of it that way...

Look if the car works for you, then great. Its very well done. But...

I just don't understand Chrysler doing a niche wagon. They needed a crossover SUV that would be a big seller and profitable (anyone seen todays news about Chryslers quarterly profits?).

Honda took a minivan and came up with the Pilot & MDX. Toyota took a Camry and produced RX and Highlander. Volvo took S80 and created XC90. I just think this market would have been the bulls-eye, that's all.
    Patty, the Immobilizer System is not compatible with remote starting systems, not the remote locking.
    The Pacifica's market is the driver looking at the RX330, the MDX, the XC90 and the Highlander. The Pacifica beats them all.
  • ch1133ch1133 Member Posts: 43
    >The Pacifica's market is the driver looking at >the RX330, the MDX, the XC90 and the Highlander. >The Pacifica beats them all.

EXPENSIVE and not worth it.
    You get Chrysler with all the problems associated with it and same goes for depreciation...good luck all
    It is no Lexus or Acura yet same price range
  • twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    You might want to actually do some research before you come in and try to slam a car. Case in point:
    "It is no Lexus or Acura yet same price range"
    If you price out a Lexus RX 330 and Acura MDX on Edmunds TMV (all equipped with AWD, Leather, Sunroof, Rear Ent. Power Liftgate & Nav) you will find the following:
    Lexus RX 330= $43,710.00
    Acura MDX= $42,500
    Pacifica= $37,438.00
    That's a savings of $6,272.00 over the Lexus & $5,062.00 over the MDX. I don't know about you, but for me $5-6,000 is not chump change.

How could you make an ignorant statement like "EXPENSIVE and not worth it. You get Chrysler with all the problems associated with it and same goes for depreciation"?

This is a brand new model. The first that is a true collaboration between Chrysler & Daimler M/B. You know nothing about it's reliability or it's resale.

BTW, have you even driven a Pacifica yet?

I smell a troll...
    I generall agree with you, except I think you missed something in the Pacifica pricing.
    The MSRP on ours was $40,385 with all the options you mentioned, which is still well below the others.
    The real difference is what we actually paid. We bought at dealer invoice, when the Acura dealer quoted MSRP for a MDX.
    We can eat a lot of depreciation for the $3,000 discount!
    I just went back to the Edmunds TMV and tried to build a Pacifica for over $40,000.00. The only way I could do this was a AWD fully loaded with every option available (Infinity 5.1 audio, 6 disk CD, cold weather pkg, Chrome wheels etc...) and I just got it over $40,000.

Unlike the Acura or the Lexus, on the Pacifica you can pick & choose your options. You are not forced to take it either fully loaded or in big option packages which may contain items you don't want.
    For example, on the lexus if you want the upgraded stereo, it adds $4,400.00 to the price difference of the Nav alone and you have to get it with the Nav. That package alone sells for $6,770.00!!! I did not include that option in my price comparison above, but if I had, it would have skewed the numbers even more.

BTW, I understand that the upgraded Mark Levinson stereo on the RX is incredible. But for $4,400.00 it had better fluff my pillow for me also!
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    Many vehicles in this price range are leased. If you are leasing, the Pacifica gets hammered by its luxury competitors. Even though you may be able to buy it for thousands less than the MDX, RX, or XC90, the awful residual values lead to lease payments in the same ballpark.

The recent discounting on Pacifica will only make the residual values even worse. Most Chrysler vehicles (as well as Ford & GM, for that matter) have three year residuals in the mid-50% range or lower. Acura, Lexus, and Volvo are consistently above 60%. Higher residuals mean lower lease payments, and vice versa.
    That's a very valid and good point on leasing.
    Does anyone who has leased a Pacifica know what the actual residual % is running? Also does anyone know what money factor Chrysler is offering on their leases for a Pacifica?
  • music287music287 Member Posts: 116
    MrPacified has a solo wife. We don't like no stinkin' bigamists around here!
    LOL!
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    on Long Island are loaded with them. Not as hot as they had hoped, and the inability to order one that has a 3-person bench in the second row is hurting sales. This should have been a no-brainer. There is a market for a traditional wagon, and the Pacifica would fill it nicely if you could fit five people in front and all of your gear in the rear.

Get rid of Celine and the captain's chairs.
    Just got back from a 565 mile round trip, mostly limited access 4 lane, 3 passengers and a full load in back.
    Actual MPG was 20.1 (calculated, not trip computer)
    Same trip last year in the 300M: 26 MPG.
    I'm curious as to how everyone is getting these numbers. I've had my Pacifica about 1 month. I drive about 50/50 highway and local streets. The computer shows an average of less than 12 mpg. I imagine this is pretty accurate considering how often I have to get gas.
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Member Posts: 113
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought that during the break-in period for a new car, the mileage stats will not reflect the long term.

I don't think you can really get a true sense of your actual MPG until after 3,000 miles or so of driving.
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    I actually like the bucket idea for the second row. It's something different. If you need to seat three in that row more than occasionally, you should look for a different vehicle. There are many others that will meet your needs.

As for Celine, she has a net worth well above nine figures. She may be the richest woman in Canada (though she mostly lives in Las Vegas right now). She can afford any car in the world. I find it hard to believe she drives a Chrysler.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    You could make the Chrysler people twitch by asking "Hey, where is that new station wagon, the Pacifica?".

Oh, it's a "sports tourer".
    I'd like feedback on any negative experiences with the sound system - preferably those with the premium 8 speaker surround system. I've been noticing weird things happening with the center channel (i.e. out-of-phase information). There is no information anywhere in the manual on the decoding scheme used to convert 2 channel to muilti-channel. Also, I'm curious as to how Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD's are decoded on this system. BTW - I do not have the video screen.
    We have the 5.1 sound system, and the car was delivered with a defective center channel dash speaker.
    The speaker was easily replaced, and now we have an awsome sounding system.
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    "If you price out a Lexus RX 330 and Acura MDX on Edmunds TMV (all equipped with AWD, Leather, Sunroof, Rear Ent. Power Liftgate & Nav) you will find the following:
    Lexus RX 330= $43,710.00
    Acura MDX= $42,500
    Pacifica= $37,438.00
    That's a savings of $6,272.00 over the Lexus & $5,062.00 over the MDX. I don't know about you, but for me $5-6,000 is not chump change." You should compare MSRP. Not TMV! The TMV for the Pacifica is low because they're not selling! You're analogy is like comparing the lexus es300 to the 300m. Sure the 300m is cheaper, but there is no comparison in the quality of the vehicle, not to mention incredible depreciation.
    I'm not here to defend the Pacifica (I don't own one although I am looking around and have done some research as well as test drive a couple of them).

It just drives me crazy seeing ignorant posts that may sway public opinion with misinformation.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Got a good look at a Pacifica on the road today. All of the other ones I have seen were going in the opposite direction.

I stayed with this one for about 5 miles and got to see it from all angles.

First off it is big. Very impressive on the road.
    You can't help but notice it.

The back end treatment is especially nice, except I would like to see it in a monotone paint treatment.

I live in Charleston, SC and the car I saw had Indiana license plates with a "Jasper Indiana" Chrysler dealership decal and a large "Jasper Engines and Transmissions" decal on the tailgate.

I guess it was one of the owner's of "Jasper" engines driving it.
    Probably coming up from their Florida winter home back up to the chilly North for the Summer. LOL.

Overall a very attractive vehicle that might be about 2-3K high on price.

They also need to change that engine out to something a little more refined.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Gotta ask that some of you tone down the emotions a bit. Let's not forget that we're just talking about a car. Okay?

It's okay to take issue with someone's comments, however, we need to keep the focus on vehicles instead of on each other.... A good way to do this is to focus on what you think about the Pacifica, instead of berating others for their opinions.

Please note: in accordance with our Member Agreement guidelines, off topic comments and personal swipes are subject to automatic deletion. Feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments about this matter. Please do not address this with me here.

And now back to the subject of the Chrysler Pacifica. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards