Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Why would you compare MSRP when everyone knows that cars don't sell for that. Remember MSRP stands for Manufacturers SUGGGESTED retail price. If you are content with paying MSRP than more power to you. You are the kind of buyer the dealers LOVE to get their hands on. One of the greatest things the internet has afforded us is the availability of information so that those of us who are informed consumers don't have to pay MSRP.

An analogy of the 300M to the Lexus ES300 has no revelance in this discussion.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I have been seriously looking at the Pacifica to replace my wife's T&C. We have had outstanding service from the T&C and have no complaint at all. Those who bash Chrysler quality are not having our experience. Now, I feel the Pacifica is $5,000 too high for what it offers. I like it, but will not pay the price of admission at this time. I have talked with several dealers, all agree that the Pacifica is not moving and has sparked little interest. They agree it is the pricing. I live in a different town than my regular dealer and he has offered to let me take a new Pacifica home for 2-3 days and park it in front of my office, etc. to have people see it out on the street. I am going to do it so I can get a good feel for how it drives as well as its features. The depreciation is not an issue for me as we keep vehicles a long time. My mind may change after the multi day test drive. We shall see.
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    I thought for several years Chrysler needed a crossover SUV (i.e. pretend truck) to supplement the Jeep lineup. Something to compete with Highlander (really a Camry), Pilot (an Odyssey), Rendezvous (a minivan), and even RX (another Camry), MDX (another minivan), XC90 (an S80) and so on.

The early mock-ups resembled a 300M on stilts, which I thought looked good for early in the design process.

I took one look at the official introduction and thought "no way". It looks like a minivan that's been vertically compressed. I don't get it. The other pretend SUV's can, at least, pretend to look like SUV's. And the poor use of space in the interior doesn't help (2nd row buckets should be an option, like on the cutting-edge, minivan-based Buick...).

If you look at the XC90 & RX330 on the higher end, and the Pilot & Highlander in the mid-market, I just don't get the Pacifica's bloated-wagon/compressed-minivan look. I suspect the final design was done on the cheap, and that there was far less engineering done to transform the minivan platform than the Odyssey-Pilot work, for example. Nothing wrong with product development done on the cheap, so long as pricing is as well.

Having vented I'll say that if it meets your needs you'll probably be happy: I have 206,000 miles on my 1990 Chrysler and still going strong. Truly amazing endurance after nearly 14 years.
  • ms_mayorms_mayor Member Posts: 113
    Pacifica's 'look' is precisely why I am actively working on purchasing one.

I never wanted a minivan; just don't want to feel like I'm driving a small delivery truck. I also don't want an SUV...again, truck driving isn't my thing.

For me and my family, its the perfect vehicle. Enough of a car for me, and sporty looking to boot. The feature I like the best (and the one that swayed me from the Pilot) is the 2nd row buckets, one so many seem to think is a waste.

I have 2 kids, and when our family travels it is not by plane but by car. The 2nd row buckets will make the drives we take far more comfortable for my kids. Paired with the DVD system and wireless headphones, my husband and I will find trips even more enjoyable than before. There's plenty of baggage space with the 3rd row folded.

Carpooling will be easier with the third seat, since it seems like we have always been one seat short when going out with others.

Maybe its not the 'perfect' vehicle, but its perfect for me. I've owned three Chryslers in the past 25 years and never had any major issues with quality. I look forward to the same with my new Pacifica...once I get it!
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Well said!
    It should be illegal for anyone to post ignorant, negative, comments about the Pacifica unless they have actually DRIVEN one!
    The Pacifica is NOT an SUV, never claimed to be. To directly compare it to an SUV, and point out that it is not like an SUV, makes no sense at all.
    I took 3 test drives before buying, and have been very satisfied with my purchase.
    I hate SUVs, but needed more space and utility than was afforded by my previous 2 300Ms.
    As for Chrysler's "poor reliability", I say BS and 'ancient history'. I ran up 130,000 miles on my 2 300Ms, and NOTHING broke.
    Read the other auto message boards, espesially those pricy German brands, and see what real problems are!
  • grbelotegrbelote Member Posts: 25
    Took delivery of my Pacifica 6/6/03. The fit and finish is flawless. The interior is very upscale.On the negative side, I don't like the hood prop rod, would like a 8 way power seat for front passenger and would like to see a back up warning system. I did receive a $1000 rebate which went into effect 6/3/03. I wrote Chrysler that rebate's should be rectroactive to early buyer's. You buy the first, put it on the road and answer the question's that interested people have about the Pacifica. I read every message on this web page many time's before I ordered. Thanks. Just wish the fuel mileage was as good on the Pacifica as it was on my LHS, same engine but far less weight. My vehicle arrived from factory with one defect, 2nd. row seat will not move fore and aft.I will stay in touch.I traded a Town&Country Limited which we liked very much,van's since 1992. The van and the Pacifica are two entirely different vehicles, buy based on you needs. GRB
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Previous Chrysler owners please let me know about the automatic transmission. I don't know the details but I have heard there were significant problems with these. And true to form my brother had to replace the transmission in his T&C at about 80,000. Makes me want to shy away from this brand.
    Did your brother have the transmission serviced as per the maintainance schedule? Some Chrysler vehicles called for a fluid change every 30,000 miles. If this was not done, don't blame Chrysler for a failure!
    My '99 30M called for a fluid change, which I had done at 35,000 miles, and the lease was up at 69,000 miles ... no trans problems.
    The '01 300M maintainance manual did not require a fluid change, and I drove it 73,000 miles with no problems. The only problem reported by 300M owners was a speed sensor failure which is easily, and inexpensively, fixed.
    I believe the Chrysler trans problems were on earlier, pre '99, models.
  • pssimonpssimon Member Posts: 144
    Punk, glad to hear your Pacifica is flawless. I ordered mine on 5/26 and am waiting impatiently <G>!

Anyway, about that rebate.... is that the "loyalty" rebate for those that are moving on from a previous Chrysler lease? Or is just another rebate for everyone? I didn't see anything listed on the Chrysler webpage.

Thanks... Paul
  • pssimonpssimon Member Posts: 144
    I heard lots of issues regarding Chrysler transmission problems, but I got say, I don't know about them! I have a 1993 Eangle with 159,000+ miles on it. I have changed the transmission fluid once. It's still going strong!

As far as I am concerned, they couldn't make it much better!
    The Chrysler web site says the $1,000 rebate is for "Owners & lessees", BUT in the very small print at the bottom it says "and for a limited time, non-Chrysler owners are eligible too"
    Time period is "now through June 30th"
    I'm ticked off about this because Chrysler sent a fax to their dealers saying they would not be offering rebates or incentives on the Pacifica. So much for honesty!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    dude, I had to replace the transmission in my 2002 Acura TL-S at 6,100 miles (complete failure). And now at 26,000 miles is does not perform very well again, looks like there will be another tranny swap. So replacing tranny at 80,000 does not sound that bad too me.

I used to drive a '99 Chrysler 300M. Drove it for 3 years and 36,000+ miles. No problems with transmission. No problems at all.
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I've been gone for some time. Wondering what your report is re your car.
    Paul, go to www.chrysler.com and keep digging you will find info on rebate. Hang in there, it's worth the wait.!! This is one nice vehicle. Punk
  • patty64patty64 Member Posts: 22
    What symptom did you experience regarding the defective center channel?

Regarding the new $1,000 rebate I was really annoyed that we missed out on this. I was told that Chrysler would not be offering incentives for at least one year.
    It wasnt the center channel, just the speaker. The speaker grill top center of the dash just pops off to replace the speaker.
    I think the speaker cone was cracked.
    To all early owners:
    I contacted Chrysler about the rebate.
    Here's what to do:
    Send a letter to:
    Daimler Chrysler
    P.O. Box 5072
    Troy, MI 48098
    Enclose your VIN number, and a copy of your purchase or lease agreement.
    State your case, possibly including:
    1. Chrysler told the dealers they would not be offering rebates or incentives on the Pacifica.
    2. Those of us who beleived that got screwed by buying early.
    3. The early buyers are supporting Chrysler and the Pacifica on this venue.
    Pacifica buyers unite!
  • patty64patty64 Member Posts: 22
    I've been on the phone with my dealer and Chrysler customer service/incentive dept. No one seems to know about the cash rebate. While I was also the information in black and white on the Chrysler web-site, it seems that the dealers and Chrysler customer service themselsves has no information about it. My dealer insists that it is only for leasing. He said he would call his rep to find out. I wonder if this is a mistake? He indicated that if someone walked off the street today to buy a Pacifica, he could not give them the rebate. When I called Chrysler to complain they indicated that they would not give a retroactive rebate to those early suckers... I mean purchasers. They would not even give me the satisfaction of speaking to a higher level manager. I'll try writing the letter as Russ suggested.
    I took delivery of my Pacifica 6/6/03. I received the rebate. Go to Chrysler's web site and you will find info on rebate. I feel like they owe you early buyers. Punk
  • leftyjimleftyjim Member Posts: 1
    We have had our pacifica for 3 weeks now and we do not have 1 complaint. I took me and 3 other guys on a 750 mile trip and everybody had plenty of room. I was a little worried that the mpg was not going to be as advertised but after breaking in the car I got around 22 mpg coming home. Still in the city it is around 15-16. We did not get the DVD system installed when we bought it but we are now thinking about getting it. Any comments on the DVD system would be great.
    We didn't order it, but it was factory installed anyway. No one wants to admit to the error.
    The system is impressive. With the wireless earphones our son can watch a movie while we listen to a book on CD or tape.
    Sound quality with the 5.1 upgrade rivals a good home system.
  • hayemhayem Member Posts: 8
    all I can say is thank god for my dvd, it's awesome. my two kids love the wireless headphones, but when they are not wearing them and we have a movie going it's like sitting in a movie theater, love it
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and congrats on your new Pacifica! We forward to hearing more about your ownership experience. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    Just a little information for anyone considering leasing a Pacifica.
    The residual for a 36 month lease is 53%!
    This is incredibly high for a domestic vehicle let alone a Chrysler. Remember higher resale equates to lower payments as you are really only paying for the depreciation in a lease while you have posession of the vehicle. I was talking to a GM at a local Chrysler dealership today and he was amazed at the rate. He said some previous Chrysler products for the same term had residuals of 26-39%. I don't know whether Chrysler is subsidizing this high resale, but who cares!

PS: I was quoted a money factor of .00165 which equates to 3.69% financing. Not bad

PPS: I test drove my first FWD Pacifica today. I have to say that it felt like it had much more power than the AWD.
    there is no history of pricing for used 3-year old Pacificas yet, so they just estimate (and bet) that it will be 53% in 3 years.

Back in 1998, I lease a Chrysler 300M for 36 months. Chrysler Financial Corp was betting that the residual would be 49% after 36 months.
    As long as I'm betting with their money, why not?
  • rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311
    A 53% residual is pretty lousy, in fact.

By current 2000 Audi A6 was leased for 39 months with a 59% residual.

My new Volvo XC90 (due next week) will be 39 months with a 61% residual.

The best was the 1990 Lexus LS400. This was Lexus' second year of existence, and they wanted to show luxury buyers that they could compete with MB, BMW, etc. We leased the car for 24 months with an 81% residual. Payment was hundreds less than the Mercedes 420SEL, for what amounted to a 2-year test drive. It obviously worked out perfectly for Lexus.

While 53% on the Pacifica may seem like a great number (compared to GM crap), it's nowhere near that of its competitors. Odyssey, Sienna, MDX, XC90, and almost every other competitor all have much higher residuals, thus lower lease payments.
    If you look at my post you will see that I said "This is incredibly high for a DOMESTIC vehicle let alone a Chrysler"
    I made no reference to foreign makes.

A comparably equipped XC90 would cost me $40,000 according to Edmunds TMV. If I get a Pacifica configured the way I want, it will run me $31,800.00 ($300.00 over invoice per my dealer). If you equate the $8,200.00 difference into a lease calculator (leaseguide.com) with the different residuals based on a money factor of .00165, here's what you come up with for a 36 month lease:
    Volvo XC90: $494.08 per month
    Pacifica: $413.00 per month

You are right that a higher residual is more desireable as it yields a lower monthly payment. However it is all relative to the price and configuration of vehicle you are looking for.

Good luck with your Volvo. Personaly I have had enough ('98 V70 XC & '01 V70 T5) of quirky unreliable Swedish engineering. Hopefully this time they got it right.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    stretch woodie Pacifica in NYC. Wish I had the digi camera with me. Very strange sight. White with plastic wood, loooong black windows and huge ghetto chrome wheels. A rolling atrocity, but I am sure that someone is gonna love that plood and get it plastered on a regular Pacifica (and probably add a fake convert roof, to boot).
    Ah, now we get into the pricing issue. If you are paying only $31,800 for the Pacifica, it's only fair to put it up against cars in the low 30K range. This leaves out XC90, MDX, and many other luxury competitors. Now you have moved the car down in class.

Line up Pacifica against Pilot, Odyssey, Highlander, Sienna, etc. and you'll see how poor a lease deal it is.

Of course, it probably is a better deal than any domestic model (and IMO the most desirable of all domestic SUV's or minivans).
  • foxgofoxgo Member Posts: 27
    If anyone out there is ready to get into a lease (of any type of car) and you live in NYS, there is a major problem out there that has caused leasing companies to pull out of NYS, and remaining lessors will be charging a premium to lease. This is due to the 'vicarious liability' law that exists, making leasing companies liable in personal injury lawsuits. Read more on the following website, www.saveleasing.org/action/ where you can compose an online letter to your senator/assemblyman and to governor Pataki, in hopes of having this outdated law reversed so that leasing will not go the way of the covered wagon!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I hope you are not going from the frying pan into the fire (Volvo to Chrysler). :^)

Actually Chrysler is doing a lot better - the PT Cruiser is one of the more reliable cars according to Consumer Reports. Hopefully this will start to carry over to other models like the Pacifica.
    I lived in NYS and leased 3 cars there without problems. Is this something new?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Cloth seats, etc.
    Only 4800 Pacificas have been sold so far.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6109&sid=17- 3&n=156
    "If you are paying only $31,800 for the Pacifica, it's only fair to put it up against cars in the low 30K range. This leaves out XC90, MDX, and many other luxury competitors. Now you have moved the car down in class."

Here's the deal: I have not moved the car down in class. For $31,800.00 I can get a FWD Pacifica with leather, sunroof, power liftgate, 6 disc CD/DVD plalyer, adjustable pedals, power memory seats and mirrors, head curtain air bags for all 3 rows, knee airbags, trip conputer, dual A/C, 3 rows of seats & a 5-star safety rating.

For me, both the Pilot (boring) & the Highlander (no 3rd row) can't compete either with style or equipment levels or both. My DW (darling wife) says she won't be caught dead in a mommy van (even though I tend to agree with your point about the Ody & Sienna being strong competition to the Pacifica)

You see this vehicle as described competes perfectly with the XC90, MDX & RX330 etc. It just costs less based on the way I want it configured. If you try to move it down in class, it only gets stronger by comparison. Of course this formula might not work for everyone. That's why they make many flavors of ice cream.
    I've been in both the frying pan and the fire in the past...I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment!!
  • foxgofoxgo Member Posts: 27
    "I lived in NYS and leased 3 cars there without problems. Is this something new?"

No, the law has been around since the early days of automobiles, in the early 1900's. However, due to some recent high-profile lawsuits, where GMAC Leasing lost $30MM and Chase Auto Finance lost $20MM, the leasing companies have realized that it is a losing proposition to continue leasing in NYS as long as the potential to lose such huge lawsuits exists!

Both have recently pulled out, and more are to follow. The remaining leasing companies will be charging extra to lease (raising bank charges from $500-$1000, etc) to cover their added liability insurance costs.

You cannot get around it by leasing in CT or NJ, it is based on the fact that you reside in NYS and drive the car in NYS. The major leasing companies have said that if the law gets repealed, they will instantly start leasing in NYS again.
    The major leasing companies are either pulling out of NY or drastically raising fees. These include Chase, GMAC, Ford Credit, and many of the other manufacturers' finance cos.

There are some smaller leasing cos that are still active. If your dealer doesn't offer anything besides their own or Chase, check with a local lease broker. They often have more leasing outlets, and they usually get fleet pricing so their deals are pretty fair compared to the dealerships.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    I am usually a fan of Chrysler styling. But do these things (Pacifica) look like a diesel locomotive or what? It's a minivan with a longer nose!!!!, just so it's not called a minivan.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
    I have had nothing but compliments on the styling of my Pacifica, but if everyone had the same taste, all cars would look alike.
    I do agree with you, however,on the styling of most of Chrysler's recent show cars...awful!
    Maybe BMW's Chris Bangle is moonlighting as a Chrysler stylist!
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Agreed. This may be the greatest vehicle ever produced and may grow on me with time. I love the look of my Intrepid, but a friend calls it the Batmobile. To each his own.

By the way, I like the way diesel locomotives look.

Ed
    HAS ANYONE WHO BOUGHT THE SATELLITE RADIO SYSTEM PREP.HAD THE SYSTEM ACTIVATED WITH THE RECEIVER AND ANTENNA? IF SO, PLEASE ADVISE WHAT ONE MUST DO TO GET SYSTEM ACTIVATED. YOUR HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. PUNK
    You have to order a kit from Chrysler---# 82207932- have it installed by dealer, then call SIRIUS to get activated. Punk
  • papichulopapichulo Member Posts: 1
    Hey if you are considering between the Honda Pilot and the Chrysler Pacifica check out the May Long Term Edmunds review of the Honda Pilot. I was laughing in stiches. I can't remember when any Chrysler I've owned ever has done this to me.
  • tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    article about edmunds' review on the honda pilot. It gives me chills thinking it could have been me & my family. i'll take a pacifica, thanks.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Below is a little something I heard on my way into work today. I figured people looking into a Pacifica may be interested.

Though the Chrysler Pacifica was officially launched only a month ago, Chrysler is concerned about sticker shock. The company decided to first build fully loaded versions of the vehicle, meaning most of the ones now in the showrooms are priced over $40,000 compared to a base price of just over $31,000.

The Pacifica already has a $1,000 rebate. But Chrysler decided that wasn&#146;t enough. So it&#146;s going to come out with a de-contented version of the vehicle that will knock another $2,000 off the base price.

Chrysler claims it always planned to do this anyway. But at the media launch in February there was no mention of a cheaper version in the wings. And this goes to show just how tough it is out there in the market right now.

With Automotive Insight, I&#146;m John McElroy, WWJ Newsradio 950.

Jmcelroy@blueskyproductions.tv

www.autolinedetroit.tv
  • dbramdbram Member Posts: 8
    Let me tell you about transmissions......I just replaced the entire transmission on my 2000 Windstar SEL (in addition to the tie rods and fuel injection problems from last year) at 58,000 miles. No indications, just stopped going forward!! As a mom with 2 kids, I am tired of sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow.
    Looking to move from Ford and appreciate reading all the Pacifica comments.
    In an effort to get something going on this board, I suggest we post any neat/unusual features we have discovered on our Pacificas, like:
    When you use the express open feature on the moonroof, it opens 3/4 of thr way to minimize drumming. Pressing the button again opens it all the way.
    I have locked my keys in my Pacifica 2 times. When I turn the engine off my thumb hits the lock button on key fob and when I get out of car the doors lock. I know that I should not leave keys in car, which I won't do again. Punk
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    operating procedure in service departments is that if you're going to get out of the car and leave your keys inside, open the driver's window enough to get your hand in - if it locks, for whatever reason, you can still get in.