Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Just saw the new pix's at wieck. I really don't like the black on the front facia and sides. Usually the reason for this is to make a car appear smaller than it really is. I like the concept version better. But I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see. But next Spring? That's a long time. Unless this car was just getting of the ground when we saw it in Detroit.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I'm suprised at how much larger it looks than the concept. I agree that I would want that dark bottom piece to be the same color. To me it's almost like that dark portion is calling attention to the size of the vehicle.

Now if it's just fun to drive.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    It looks like Mercedes is bringing over (to the U.S.) one of their advanced common rail diesel engines in the new E-class. I think the Pacifica would be a perfect fit for this engine. Imagine all the room of a Pacifica with the economy of a Neon.

This diesel is no slouch either!
    2.685cc - 5 cylinder - 20V
    Common-rail injection
    Power: 170 bhp @ 4200 rpm
    Torque: 273 ft-lbs @ 1800-2800 rpm
    0-60 mph: 8.9 seconds
    Top Speed: 143 mph

Unfortunately gluttony seems to be sexier than efficiency these days(except when talking about super models) so I am sure this will never happen. But it is nice to dream.
    How about if AMG gets a hold of one, or the new tuning division of Dodge/Chrysler. Personally, with this type of vehicle I'd rather if it were AMG. Either way the appeal of the vehicle is certainly there as long as Daimler/Chrysler can maintain a high quality level and good fit and finish.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    I just read at Automotive News that the Pacifica will be standard with a 4-speed automatic. Granted it will be an autostick but IMO a 4-speed auto seems outdated for this type of vehicle and in this day and age. Too bad.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • dandersendandersen Member Posts: 5
    I really like this thing, but its CRYING for wood paneling, like the new PTCruiser.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    Here's another link to a fairly organized and compact synopsis on the vehicle.

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2004/v2kmdl6473ovw.html

Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    I saw the Pacifica last Friday and I must say it looks even better in person than in pictures. It looks less "wagon-like" when you see it up close. The interior is also very nicely done. If you go to www.chrysler.com you can request a brochure. I think (and hope) Chrysler has a hit on its hands...
  • johnnbrunsjohnnbruns Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am a long time lurker, now with a question for the board. How many of you are concerned about first model year bugs? I need a car that can occaisonally seat six or seven, with all wheel drive, good safety and good reliability. I would really prefer not to get an SUV (considering Rendezvous, Pilot, MDX, and ML320), but I am concerned about reliability issues like bugs and potential recalls with first year models like the Pacifica or the Ford Crosstrainer which are due to come out early next year. Aside from the first model year issue, I really like everything I've read about the Pacifica. Right now I am leaning toward MDX, especially if prices come down from MSRP.
    You are looking at some excellent vehicles and bring up a good question. The question of reliability just came up on the Pilot board for first year runs so you also may want to keep an eye there also. The first year run on the Pacifica and Crosstrainer should be ok but not great. They are both using AWD systems, transmissions, engines and (in the case of the Pacifica) a chassis that have been around. There are going to be teething pains with how these existing parts mesh together along with how all of the new parts go together. My point is that I don't believe that this vehicle will be perfect in its first model year.

The Honda Odyssey had trouble its first year, the MB ML320 had trouble its first couple of years and now both are fine reliable vehicles. Reliability of new vehicles has improved over the years but there are still going to be problems even for the best car companies.

My opinion is that if you're worried about reliability that strongly stick with the MDX. You won't go wrong. If you decide that the possibly occasional problem is too much try the Pacifica.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    I think you'll find that the Acura has the best reliability (not that the others will be bad), but I wouldn't expect prices to come down. From what I hear, they can't make enough of them...
    The brochure that was handed out at the New York Auto Show. It said more info would be coming in the Summer sometime. Nothing new was revealed, but it was nice to see that DC has the old propoganda machine gearing up.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Chrysler sent me a little something in the mail last week on the Pacifica and I sent off for more info. This looks great to me and I can't wait until I can give it a hard look in person!
  • stvdmanstvdman Member Posts: 62
    I will buy it. I love the greenhouse idea. Keep that. Drop to 17" wheels (17" is plenty beefy looking and will keep tire costs down). DONT put any real or faux wood on the sides (YIKES!).

If the aforementioned diesel was offered I would be down at the dealership now with my down payment. I hope they are able to build it without having to totally change the thing just to bring it to market. This is one to keep an eye on for sure.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    From Edmunds' Future Vehicles section, here more information (4 pages) on the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. Hope you enjoy.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    Revka, on the link you posted Edmunds states at the top of each page the availability date for the Pacifica as "Winter 2004", more than 2 years from now. I thought this was coming out next Spring? A 2005 model would be out by Winter 2004.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I've heard that it will be avalible in the first half of 2003.
    The last propoganda flier that I got from Chrysler said that it was coming in the Spring of 2003. That is also what the Chrysler website says.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • natdmannatdman Member Posts: 5
    I finally saw a pic that I thought really gave a good idea of what it would be like to sit in the back of the Pacifica. If they keep that design and put in a nice/reliable drivetrain THIS is #1 on my list for the next car.

http://www.auto.com/photos/gallery/2002/chryslerpacifica/03chryslerpacifica.jpg

• cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    to be in the production car. It is used to show off the car better inside and out. They did the same thing with the Mercedes GST.
    I both called and used the interactive customer service for Chrysler to find out more info on the Pacifica. Needless to say there isn't any new information. Also, nobody knew if they would be having early previews, pricing or further specs. Oh well, I'll try again later in the summer.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    To natdman (post 71)- Thanks for the link. ;-)

Also, from Edmund.com's Future Vehicles, here a direct link to their Chrysler Pacifica photos. Hope you enjoy!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    That Idea seems silly to me. Why would someone want it there? Sure it seems cool, but I'm sure that the roof has some kind of structural integrity and support when it comes to crashes.

Plus, I'm sure that some custom shop will probably charge you an arm, leg, and an ear (??) along with the money you gave them to put it in there.

Someone will have the guts to put one in there, I just know it.
    Structurally the sheet metal in the roof doesn't play as much of a roll in the structural integrity of the vehicle as much as the roll cage itself. The extreme of this is a race car where the sheetmetal is there only for aerodynamics and to make some sticker manufacturer happy, it is the roll cage that handles the structure.

The greenhouse would be silly if it doesn't have a sunshade or tinting available. I doubt the production model will be as large as the one I've seen in pictures.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    But rumor has it that the Pacifica was held on delay to improve Crash Test Scores, since it was so popular, that they had to put it in to production, and that's why I said that.
    I hadn't heard that. Where did you get the information from. This vehicle really intrigues me and if you have any more info please share it.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • natdmannatdman Member Posts: 5
    I keep looking for more info but I have yet to find much more than whats been out for the last few months.

As far as the structure of the car and the greenhouse thing goes the A, B, and C pillars with their respective cross braces across the roof provide the structural strength not the roof itself.

And their is at least one car out there that has almost as much glas in the roof as the Pacifica, the Suburu Outback has an available second row moonroof for a total of two in the roof. I like the idea of a greenhouse with a shade or self tinting glass better than a second moonroof.

I just think the greenhouse would give the second row passengers a much more open and non claustrophobic feeling back there. I know I would enjoy it. I hope they keep it and make it standard fare.
    check out the skyroof on the Maybach that MB just came out with. The MB ML also has a skyroof that goes over both the front and rear passenger areas. I think they are also proposing the same type of skyroof on the GST, which is a way upscale Pacifica. All of these are in the same family as the Pacifica, so it's not like they haven't done it.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    From what I've read, they will scale back the size of the sunroof, or at least make it optional, to help keep the price down.
    If you didn't know aboout these sites, I get all my info from:

http://www.car-truck.com and http://www.allpar.com

I also learned that everything in Chrysler's lineup was based on the K-Car (Up until 1995, talk about a great way to save money, with everything based on one platform), with the exception of the Mitsubishi clones, the LH series, and the 80's Large Cars (New Yorker, Diplomat, etc)

You must think that I have been living in the twilight zone, but I really didn't know that!

Bored - are you too young to remember the 80's?
    But not all of it. I had already knew this stuff, my father works at Chrysler himself, but I didn't know EVERYTHING was based on the K-Car.

Hmm, makes you wonder.... whether something in the Pacifica or any other Modern Day Chrysler has at least some small part from there too.

Since Mr. Lee Iacocca is trying to return (But Mr. Evil in Germany won't answer his phone) I wonder is he going to try to do the 80's and the 90's over again?
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Except for letting Lutz go, MB is making the right calls. I did like the earlier Pacifica front ends (ones based on the 300M) better then the final ones selected, but then when you go with the Minivan for the starting point of the basic design, you have to live with it's limitations.
    Would be the last of the pure Chrysler designs to come out (if they build it). Since it was acually (prototype)built before the take over. It is the poor mans 500sel.
    Do you think the Pacifica will take away from Chrysler's minivan sales?
  • dorritydorrity Member Posts: 3
    What is the website that someone posted a while back? wieck.com or weick.com. Neither works. Could someone enter it as a hyperlink, i.e. http://blah blah
    Any inside info on the MPG of this gorgeous vehicle...and if Daimler/Chrysler is reading this thread, I need to pay no more than 30 grand out the door. I'd like the DVD navigation system to be optional, also ;)
  • lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    There are some who would have bought minivans that will decide the Pacifica is a better fit. But they will also get people who were looking at Foresters, or Vibes. Then there are the people who want something bigger than a car but not quite an SUV or a van.

I also would like to see the MPG on this vehicle. Chrysler vans have too low an MPG.
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    The website is http://www.wieck.com
    The MPG better be good. I was shocked to find out the Pontiac Aztek only gets 18/25! If I have to wait until the second quarter of 2003 for the Pacifica, I will also be looking at some of the below Hybrid Electric Vehicles that are expected to be out by then:

http://www.ott.doe.gov/hev/concept.html

I wouldn't expect the Pacifica to get much better than 18/25. It is quite a large heavy vehicle with a large engine.

Now if they put in the MB diesel engine it would probably use about as much fuel as a neon.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    lennx

You made the statement that Chrysler minivans have poor mileage. Compared to what? The Honda Oydessy is rated 18/25. The 2003 Chrysler minivan is rated 19/25.Do you know of any SI powered 4300 pound vehicle that does much better than that?

Ed
    I think the GM minivans get 19/26 which is a little better still. Chrysler minivans do get poor mileage when compared to a station wagon/sedan (as do all minivans). A full sized GM car with the 3.8 liter engine gets 20/29. If GM still made a full sized wagon with the same engine and tranny, it would get the same mileage.

Decreasing frontal area and coeffecient of drag does wonders for highway mileage.
    I still doubt the Pacifica will get more than 1 or maybe 2 mpg better than the Minivan.

dorrity, why shocked that the Aztek only gets 18/25? What did you expect? A Honda Pilot only gets 17/22. 18/25 isn't unreasonable at all.
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    dudleyr:

Let me see if I got this. 19/25 mpg is poor, but 20/29 is terrific. If you say so.

Frontal area? Huh? The minivans weigh 700 pounds more than the Buick LeSabre. I admit at high speeds frontal area and drag are important, but below 50 mph, they matter little.

I own a 2002 T&C. My brother owns a 2001 LeSabre.
    I admit the Buick rides a bit smoother and quieter than my minivan, but then it rides smoother than just about any sedan. However, I can and have carried seven adults in great comfort, can the Buick do that? no.

I can carry a 4x8 sheet in the minivan, the Buick, no. I can pop the hatch and put my bike in the back of the minivan, is it that easy in the Buick? no.

I have owned full sized sedans for the past 10 years, my new minivan blows them away for versatility. IMHO, the Pacifica just puts another nail in the coffin of the sedan.

I am still waiting for someone to come up with a 4300 pound SI vehicle that gets much better than 19/25 mpg.
    If the buick was a wagon it could carry the extra people and the plywood - not at the same time though.

I did not say 20/29 was terrific (or even good) - it is terrible, but I want a jetta wagon with the diesel engine, so almost everything else is pretty bad compared to that.

I also said lower frontal/drag help w/ "highway" mileage. Maybe you drive 50 on the highway, but where I live the speed limit is 75 and most people go 80. At that speed frontal area and drag are a huge factor - much more than a few hundred pounds. Also regarding weight - I have a minivan that seats 7 comfortably, and only weighs 3,500 lbs. First generation Odyssey.

Anyway like I have said many times before if DC puts the MB diesel in the Pacifica it will get much much better than 19/25.
    I really hope that Chrysler doesn't drop the ball with reliability on this one because I think this is what the majority of the American public is looking for. Maybe not aesthetically, but definitely conceptually.

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&content_code=09892435

Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah