Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I drove a Mini Cooper S last week! My mind is now made up! I used to race sports cars when I was younger, but I've never driven any car that handles like a new Mini! Of course, it's lots smaller than a Charger, but the cockpit is amazingly roomy and easy for an old guy like me to get into and out of. My wife probably won't ride in it, but she won't ride in the Chrysler 300M I drive now. When we go somewhere together, we always have to go in her Suburban (she has a bad back and the chair height seats in the Suburban don't hurt her back).
    So if you happen to see a broadly grinning old fart driving a Mini around the Dallas area, it's probably me!

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    Disc-your rims are 17inch Aluminum (SXT) and the SE are plain rims with Wheel cover.There is a big differance. just thought it might clear things up.
  • discgolfer99discgolfer99 Member Posts: 42
    xtec, thanks for clariying. I thought so but wasn't 100% sure...

Danial, I sent an email w/my phone number, so call if you are interested...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    At this time, buying/selling is not permitted in the Forums and soliciting is never allowed.
    Well, my Chrysler 300M just turned 145,000 miles and I've decided it's time for a new car. It was a hard decision since I've had very few problems with the M and I still love it, but I know the problems are bound to start soon (or at least that's what I explained to my wife!).
    I'm buying a new Dodge Charger R/T and I love the way it handles and, of course, the Hemi power, but the body styling just doesn't equal the 300M. At least it does look lots better (to me anyway) than the 300C.
    I hope it comes close to being as good a car as the 300M!
    I mentioned on this forum a couple weeks ago that I was about to buy a Mini. When I went to the dealer to actually order the Mini I had a reality attack. I found that my small granddaughters wouldn't be able to sit in the back seat for lack of legroom. I loved the handling of the Mini, but the 4 door comfort of the Charger just makes lots more sense for me.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Lynn,

I personnally like the Chargers looks over the 300M (although if it wern't for the Charger, I would own the 300M, as I like it a lot as a close second), but if you prefer the styling of the 300M over the Charger, then why not go with the new 300M with the Hemi? It's basically the same car...
    Disc-I think your confusing the 300m with the 300c.The 300m was the last gen LH platform with Front wheel drive.That came with the 3.5.The 300c is what shares its platform with the Charger.
    Lynn-My last car before my Charger SXT was a '02 Intrepid SXT which is basically the same as your 300m.I will tell you I thought my Intrepid was a awesome car,but it does'nt
    compare to the Charger.I think you will be very happy with the Charger and will be saying What 300M.
    I'm definitely happy with the Charger, but there are things about the 300M that I miss. Oh well, I still see it every day. I sold it to a guy I work with, so it's in the parking lot every day here at work.
    For sure, I like the Charger's styling better than the 300C.

Lynn Flowers
  • jacketslikethijacketslikethi Member Posts: 1
    Wow....awesome. read some comments from some negative types...ya know...4 doors instead of 2...not exactly like the "71". Get one & restore ot then if that's what ya want:) I want one...drive it once & a while...take it out in 20 yrs...now what's it wortd? Do ya think it will raise in value as the late 60's, early 70's? Did they put GPS in all 1000? take care:) M
  • izzyplayerizzyplayer Member Posts: 1
    Hi i just got a Dodge Charger R/T Daytona 2006, my question is the following, does anyone knows if the Nav System has an RCA jack in the back so i could hook up my amplifier.
    and also how to take the nav system out so i can run the cable to the back of my car, thanks in advance guys..
    I can't wait to post some pictures...

About 1.5 weeks ago, I purchased a Garmin Navigation system, model "Nuvi 660". It's an AWESOME Nav system. 4.3 inch screen, Bluetooth (for hands free phone), this, that, the other, etc.

For installation, I was not too keen on having it attached from the Windshield (illegal where I live (CA)), nor did I want it attached from the Dash itself. The first weekend, (Feb 24), I removed one of the Air Con outlets in the middle of the dash, the one closer to the driver. I then "plugged" the air outlet inside the dash, so no Air/heat would come out that vent. I installed the attachment arm inside the Air Con vent, so the Nav unit was just in front of where the air diverter was. I also wired in a new Cigarette Lighter receptical under the dash, and routed the power wire to this, so there was no cord on the outside. It wasn't bad, but even when I bought the unit, I had high hopes of installing it "IN-DASH". I am somewhat concerned about theft. This past weekend, I went for it. My neighbors must have thought I was CRAZY, as I had the center panel out of the car (the silver one that covers radio, air vents, air/heat controls. I had to use a dremel to cut away some of the molded plastic/rubber on the dash. The chips were flying everywhere, smell of burning rubber, etc. I had to cut and seperate the air con outlets, as they are a single unit for the two outlets. I could almost hear the "What the hell is he doing to his car"...

I can't believe how nice it turned out. It even exceeded my expectations. So now, instead of 2 air outlets in the center of the dash, there is a Nav system in the left one. I was sure I was going to have to install an external antenna, and possibly external microphone and speaker, but to my surprise, the system still gets FULL strength reception from the satellites. And even though the microphone on the front of the Nav unit is now covered by the dash, it still works just fine. People say they can't even tell I am on a speaker phone...

Can't wait to post some pictures. I may even go into business installing these things in Chargers/Magnums/300's... (LOL) (pictures forthcoming, if I can figure out how to post them here)...
  • chiefloadchiefload Member Posts: 31
    Looking at replacing the 2002 Dodge Intrepid SE in a couple months (102,0000 absolutely positively trouble-free miles. Nothing, but NOTHING that broke on the car except the driver's side mirror that I broke off early on when I pulled out of my narrow garage door...). Junior will take that one over when he gets his driver's license.

Today was a perfect day in Northern Virginia to take a lunch break for a change and head down to the Dodge dealer for a test spin in a Charger. Drove an R/T, TorRed, light grey interior, with the 5.7 L engine, Electronic Conv Group, Conv Group II, Sunroof and the 18" Alu Chrome Clad Wheels. Car was equipped just about the way I would like it to be if, IF the Charger is my next car (I'd take the darker Inferno Red over the TorRed and the darker grey interior over the light grey one and I'd pass on the expensive wheels) Drove anything from main road to back country road to open state roads, parking lots. Great overall impression (the weather did help... ;).

I'm 6'6", didn't need the seat all the way in the back with the wheel push back (almost all the way). Found myself LEANING FORWARD to adjust the rearview mirror (a first..). 3 inches of space between steering wheel and my right knee and another 3 inches from knee to center console (give or take an inch). Very comfortable in the car. Noticed the cruise control on the extra handle on the left. Would need to get used to it, but I think I could (Intrepid has it on the steering wheel). Other controls in nice, easy reach. Storage space looked nice, doors to storage and cup holders opened nicely dampened (thought the armrest space was quite large...). Car handled very easily, very nicely, very precise. With windows and sunroof closed, very quiet. Push the pedal and it runs smooth, very smooth. Great acceleration (duh, it's a HEMI...). On one of the back roads, coming off a stop signal, I got it up to about 60 - 65, without pushing the engine above 4 - 4,500 RPM. Again very, very smooth, nice shifts (didn't play with the autostick). Had to back off at about 60, saw some cars down the road on the right and it indeed turned out to be law enforcment enforcing the laws of the road (back off early enough so that were not interested in us). It was a dream to drive this car. Felt very, very large inside (similar to the feeling of sitting in a cavernous car when I first got the Intrepid). Felt safe (like a tank without driving a tank... yeah, a muscle car). Pitty I had to return the car to the lot and drive off in my Intrepid.

I have three more makes/models to test drive before narrowing it down to one or two, but man, this is one sweet ride.. :P
  • gtook23gtook23 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying an SRT8 but am concerned about the
    safety rating. The frontal impact ratings from the Insurance Institute for the Charger and 300M are excellent, but the side impact ratings are "marginal" even with side airbags.

The reason seems to be the lack of an actual side airbag in the seat or door. There is only a curtain airbag for head protection. Without the side "torso" protection airbag,
    the body gets hammered pretty good in a side impact.

If anybody from Chrysler is reading this, do you plan on
    installing a seat or door airbag anytime soon? If so, you
    will sell a lot more cars, probably even one to me. This
    seems to be the only thing holding me back from buying this
    car....
  • kboopkboop Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a Charger, but am getting confused. I have driven the SXT, R/T, R/T with Road and Track, and the SRT8. I absolutely LOVE the look of the Charger, but can't decided which one I really need. Of course the handling of the R/T's are the best, but I really don't need the HEMI (would like to get more than 16-17 mpg too). I know I would pass on the SRT8 - don't need that much power. I basically drive my daughter to school and run errands, but I want the best car for my $$.

Most charger forums I read say not to bother with the SXT, get the HEMI.

Do the SXT's drive "basically" as well as the R/T's? Also, are you basically getting the same gas mileage from the SXT as the R/T or do you actually get more from the SXT? The forums I have read said you pretty much get the same mileage between the two styles. I don't do any highway driving - city only. I wish the SXT's had more options because I would like a fully loaded one, but I guess you can't have everything ...

Any help on comparison would be of great help. I AM READY TO BUY! Thanks.
  • chiefloadchiefload Member Posts: 31
    Go with the R/T and Hemi power. Otherwise you will always have to answer the question: why not the Hemi?.... And it does give you more options, it ought to give you more driving pleasure if you get out of the city (let's face it: if it is just city driving and you don't want the pleasure or knowing that you could blow just about everything away with the R/T's performance, you might as well drive a small hybrid, right?)... Plus.. it got a HEMI......
    I have the SXT and the 3.5 has plenty of power.My SXT is getting bewtween 19-20 in the city and there is no way a Hemi is going to get that.As for options,my SXT looks identical to the R/T but with the better mileage.The Hemi is awesome,but the mileage is not great.I am very happy with my SXT,and with gas prices the way they are,I'm glad I have the 3.5.And the Hemi is only about 1.5 seconds faster then 3.5.As for options you can get what you want,just show them the money.Mine has the R/T 18inch wheels,moonroof,power pedals,upgraded stereo system with the Boston Acoustics speakers,and the SRT wing.Click on my name and see my car,and it looks like a R/T,but about 3k less.I had my service advisor one time try to charge me more for a oil change because he thought my car had the Hemi,so it fooled the dealer.As for the ride,its great,and has the same ESP,traction control as the R/T.,4 wheel disc brakes with anti-lock.Good Luck.
  • batistabatista Member Posts: 159
    Hello xtec. Your Charger looks very nice. Identical to mine except I don't have a sunroof.
    Since you mentioned that you were a mechanic, I was wondering if you could guess as to what is wrong with my Charger. If the car sits more than 5 hours it will make a thump sound from the rear (only one time) when accelerating past 3000 rpms.
    This only occurs once per driving session and it won't make the sound if you keep it under 2500 rpms.
    I haven't taken it in yet but thought I would get some advice.
    batista-
    Thats a good one.Its hard trying to diagnose over the internet.I can't figure out why it only does it once.My first guess would be a U-joint,but that would do it all the time.Best bet is to take it in and have them check everything in the back suspension,shocks,trailing arms,bushings,u-joint.Thats all I can give you.Sorry I couldn't give you more.Good Luck.
    I just thought of some other things to check.I find myself sometimes getting in my car,and my foot will hit the parking brake pedal.When I pull on the parking brake handle,I will see the pedal move up just a little bit.So check that out.And it could be one of the calibers is sticking and when it sets, the piston pushes the pads against the rotors,then when you drive,hit the brakes,the caliber starts working.Im trying to cover all possibilities,thanks for the compliment on my car.I'v been driving Mopars for 37 years,and the Charger(300) is the Best cars Chrysler made.Thats why it hard to figure out why Chrysler in trouble..
    Thank you for your ideas. My parking brake sometimes sticks as well. Occasionally I pull on the release handle but it only comes up half-way until I press the pedel and release again.

I checked forums and googled it and the only thing that came up was differential mount bushings and pinion seal.
    I will take it in eventually but hate the fact that my dealership is so far away and it only happens a couple of times a day. That means I pay for a car rental for 2 days and the incovenience.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Dodge Charger SRT-8 TV commercial that touted the 425HP HEMI engine but then popped the hood to show a "cross", East-to-West, mounted V8 engine.

To me East-to-West meant FWD and I could not reconcile 425HP at the front wheels.

Research indicated the Charger SRT-8 engine is actually North-to-South and RWD just as it should be.

So, did I really see what I remember seeing?

Somebody screwed up?
    I agree with everything you said except the part where East -West means FWD.I had two front wheel drive cars with north-south mountings.A 1994 Eagle Vision and 2002 Intrepid.
    Note...

I did not say, conclude, that North-South would ALWAYS mean RWD, only that East-West always meant FWD...
    What I'm getting from your post is that you are saying all FWD have East-West mounting and I'm saying they don't.
    What I was trying to say, and maybe wasn't direct enough, is that East-West engine mounting almost ALWAYS means FWD or front torque biased AWD.
    Oh, I see...

"Research indicated the charger SRT-8 engine is actually North-to-South and RWD just as it should be."

It was to my intent to indicate that North/South engine mounting meant RWD "just as it should be". I was trying to say that with 425HP it was RWD just as it should be.

Also, I take the position that FWD or front biased AWD can be so hazardous in wintertime conditions that they should be outlawed.
    I have a Charger so I don't have FWD anymore.And I didn't see anything wrong with FWD car with a north south engine mounting.As far as outlawing FWD for winter driving is your opinion .The AWD would out drive my Charger in the snow there is no doubt.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    that may seem stupid, so please bear with the ignorant...

Is the Charger basically a Chrysler 300 but not as fancy, or are they really different underneath???...i.e.chassis, etc.

Thanks...
    Marsha, the 300 (at least 2006 and beyond) and Charger ARE built on the same Chassis (which is a Mercedes chassis) and also have same engine options...

I think the Charger looks more "Sporty", while the 300 looks more "Classy"...
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    300, Charger, Magnum: These are the same car underneath. (Mercedes type rear suspension, Intrepid type front suspension). Rear drive both (AWD available on 300) all The differences: Charger has a slightly larger trunk, more curves in the sheet metal. The degree of "fanciness" depends on the level of each car. While the 300 is generally more luxurious, the Charger can be made nearly as luxurious. I have a 300C (the smaller V8 hemi model--the SRT8 is the bigger V8) which has a good bit of fancy stuff standard--like electric steering wheel tilt, 2 position driver seat memory, etc. Now two years old with 23,000 miles--only problem was a transmission leak from a sensor that plugs into the transmission. Fixed in an hour by dealer.

Base 300 comes with a 2.7 liter V6 (not available in Charger)
    300 Touring and Limited and Charger SXT come with 3.5 liter
    V6.

300C and Charger RT come with 5.7 liter hemi

300CSRT8 and Charger SRT8 and Super Bee come with 6.1 liter hemi.

:shades:
    Xtec-You were mentioning you have dual exhaust on your SXT.
    How do you like it? What brand? Is it a true dual or split? I am considering buying these http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=16936
    but worried about drone. The sample clip sounds good but needed some advice.
    I have the Mopar/Borla exhaust,and its set up is like the one your diagram shows.I thought you had the Mopar one.I like it very much.When it was new,it had a mellow sound,now it has a nice sound when your going throught the gears,once you hit 5th and cruise,its quiet.It also helped with my MPG.
    I think it looks better then the stock R/T.The Mopar/Borla are made for the Mopars,so its like a factory highpo exhaust.I'm glad I got mine when I did,on Borla website the Exhaust is almost 1k,I paid less then $400,plus $75 install at dealer.I think I got A good deal.
    That's a good deal. If you check out moparpartusa.com
    http://www.moparpartusa.com/343453.html it sells for $548.
    It doesn't appear to be a true dual exhaust.
    This set-up won't give you any HP gains its for a better exhaust note and appearance.
    I have heard this set-up on youtube and it sounds good.
    This setup gives 10hp gain and 6ft.lbs of torque.Its stated on the Borla website.The mechanic who installed my exhaust told me how the stock exhaust was restricted,and this exhaust was a big help.The stock system has a flow of 377cfm,with the Borla its 632cfm,255cfm gain,thats a big differance.Plus its stainless steel,should never rust.
    One more question xtec.
    What do you think of this product?
    Is it as good as yours?
    I will be buying soon and appreciate your help.
    http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/oemduexsydoc.html
    It's cheaper than moparpartusa.
    Also, what is a reasonable rate for installation? 1 hour labor?
    Thats the same one I have,same part number.It says Mopar but is made by Borla.My chrome tips says Borla right on them.Thats what I meant by being a stock highpo system.Its made for that car and uses stock mounts to put it on.I think its a great system.The labor book calls for 1 1/2 hours install.The dealer I take mine to,knows I was a mechanic so they give me a good rate.I bought my system from my dealer for $368,thats mechanics price.
    No luck. Product is discontinued.
    Not sure if its worth paying $548+shipping+installation+ taxes when others have payed $200 less. HHP had a sale for $349 last year but it too no longer carries the product.
    Moparmaster.com has the exhaust for $382.40.Put in the part #82209611 in the search engine,and it should come up.I almost went with this company, but with my discount,plus no shipping charges,it was cheaper at my dealer.It was 340.80 at the time I looked at Moparmaster.Check your dealer and see what they say,and ask for a discount and see what they do.Most dealers will give you 5% off.Plus you dont get charged for shipping.I hope it works out for you.Good luck!
    Not likely they still have it because some vendors aren't updating their product list.
    Can't believe they have no phone number, contact is thru email only. With the holiday on Wednesday not sure how fast they will reply.
    Thanks again. Will let you know if I get lucky.
    I tried moparmaster.com and the product is discontinued.
    My dealer in Washington state also tells me they don't have it.
    I guess its not popular enough that they no longer make them.
    Thats not good news.I'm glad I got mine when I did.The Borla site shows them, but the price is outrageous 1100.If I find it somewhere Ill let you know.I just checked a few sites,and they all are almost 700 or more.That one you had for 548 is looking like a deal.Good Luck.
    Thanks Xtec.
    I contacted moparpartusa.com and they too don't have it.
    They said I should check back and they might have an upgraded/new part to sell.
    Yeah, $1100 is outrageous. I had the choice to buy a R/T for $3K more instead of my SXT and now a dual exhaust after install costs half the upgrade to an R/T.
    I hear what your saying.If you could of got the deal I had its was worth it,but now it looks like its not with the price they want.Borla probably made so many for Mopar for as a promotion to get their name out and now they are sold out.The SXT still has better MPGs,so thats a plus.Keep looking and maybe youll find a deal.
    I hear what your saying.I did find a website mopardiscountparts.com that list the exhaust for 358.50.There is a phone number listed on the site you can call.I hope ot works out for you.Good luck.
    Discontinued as well.
    Thanks again for looking.
    I found the dual exhaust system for $395 at exhaustdepot.com The part #cd-dcv6.I was looking at Dodgeforum.com,and thats where some of the people got theirs.The phone number is on the site.Give them a try and see if they have it.Good Luck.
    I found this set-up too loud. Did you listen to the clip?
    It's a true dual aluminum instead of your one muffler split into 2 resonators (stainless steel) which is better.
    It sounds a bit too much like a import civic with a fart can exhaust.
    Will wait for the borla if it comes back on the market.
    It had a nice sound, but I do like mine,and it didn't look like the mounts would be like the Mopar/Borla setup.It looks like glass packs,where my Borla looks like a regular muffler.I'll keep searching and hope we can find one for you.I know you would be pleased.
    xtec-finally purchased the mopar exhaust (82209611) and waiting for delivery.
    I purchased online from authentic dodge at $389.95.
    That's a good price and looking forward to the sound/look.
This discussion has been closed.