Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    This discussion will be moving to our Sedans message board. If you have the discussion bookmarked or if you're subscribed to it, nothing will change for you. If not, now's a good time to do so. You can always locate it using the handy search tools at the left.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mnunesmnunes Member Posts: 11
    It looks like pricing, including options, is available on the Dodge website.
    http://www.dodge.com/charger/index.html
    then click "Build and Price"
    At R/T fully loaded (including rear seat DVD for the kids) comes in just over $36k.

Kelly Blue Book also lists pricing now including Dealer Invoice.
    http://www.kbb.com
    go to the New Cars tab.
    Edit to previous post:

It looks like the Edmunds site also has pricing now.
    http://www.edmunds.com
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889
    wow. 2 seconds on edmunds pricing and i'm already confused.

2 different prices for Navigation. Plus, the cheaper navigation option says "requires ATL. not available with RAK" (atl is upgraded stereo and rak is 6-cd changer). But then you look at ATL and it says it includes RAK. Ummmm... so the navi is not available with RAK, but the required ATL includes RAK .... doesn't that mean the universe will implode or something? ;)

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• jimhemijimhemi Member Posts: 223
    That's GREAT! Try finding a dealer that will negotiate the price of this car and let me know. :surprise: From what I have been seeing, how much over sticker do you have to go is what they are taking. Wait a year when demand dies down and you'll have a better shot at your price, although the Hemi 300C goes out as fast as it comes into the dealer show rooms and that's been out for a bit.
  • 2000rt12000rt1 Member Posts: 8
    I ordered an R/T with Navigation System,Rear Seat Video, Convenience Group II, Electronics Convenience Group and Power Sunroof with a MSRP of $35,575 for $34,575. Its $1000 under MSRP not much but at least less than sticker
    jimhemi,

Did they give you an idea of when you'll take delivery? Dealers in my area (Southern California) seem to have no idea when they'll arrive. Depending on who I ask I've heard anywhere from mid-May to sometime in July.

BTW - where did you order yours?
    No, I contacted Chrysler directly with my VON (vehicle order number) and my Cool Vanilla Charger is a status BX which means its OK to manufacturer...the dealer thinks it should be in late May or early June. I ordered mine from AURORA Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Aurora Ohio Telephone 330-562-2600 My salesman is John Bralek. He new alot about the vehicle and was willing to sell below MSRP.

Alex
  • cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    Robin: 2006 Charger is (IMHO) the most exciting new car announced so far. Even my pal JIMHEMI went and got prices for it, and he isn't exactly carrying pictures of it in his wallet :)

As I've stated here and in other boards, I won't be able to live with myself if I have a RWD car and get stuck in a snowbank. I will wait for an AWD Hemi (which is already made, under the skin of a 300C). Meanwhile my FWD 1999 Intrepid continues running like new, even with 148,000 miles on it's drivetrain.

Long Live Dodge!!
    I didn't order one, nor will I buy one. It's simply not a Charger despite what Dodge glues to the side of the fender.
    I have friends in a few dealership that I stay in contact with from my previous days of a salesman. I almost wish I was still working for the Dodge dealership that I once worked at. The sales people there are making a very very comfortable salary with the Magnum, Hemi Rams/Durango and most of all the people ordering the Charger. The amount of markup, even a $1,000 off of sticker is silly. The tip I would give is you don't buy the hottest and "must have" car/truck. Wait till they're plentiful on the lots and buy from what is available. I know many people want it just to have it. Better off waiting till Dec. when no one buys because of the holidays and the dealers run end of year, last model year sales. Helps buying on a weekend when it's the end of the month and salesmen run around to make dealer/manufacturer bonuses. If you need a Hemi rear drive then more power to you, love that Hemi, hate that Charger. Go with the 300C in Sept. or Oct. when end of the year models and the competing with their cousin the Charger forces dealers to negotiate the prices for lack of demand.
    No, I know friends from the old days of selling so the prices they're getting in New Jersey are unreal. For the record, the Charger SRT is not as bad as the plain R/T. I saw it up close at the NYC autoshow and the car drew a crowd. Don't know if it was the eye popping candy red pearl coat or the hood scoop. The car didn't look bad, but again, ROBIN T. , what is with that ugly rear spoiler on the trunk of the SRT? Does your design team know what they are doing?
    CFAZZARI, what's with the AWD obsession? Buy a Jeep already. ;) The Charger will have a 2.82 rear gear ratio, hardly anything that will be peeling the rubber off of the rims. Did you see the AWD test that allpar.com ran with the 300/Magnum?
    Give me snow tires and away I go.
    jimhemi,

Sorry I misread the person posting the message.

Mike
  • itsnotachargeritsnotacharger Member Posts: 21
    The car that Daimler is parading around as the 2006 Dodge Charger is a travesty.
    It's a squat, stubby Ford Maverick look-alike with a Dodge Dakota truck snub-nosed grill. It's about as aerodynamic as a carboard box. It looks hideous as far as I'm concerned and its a slap in the face to the Charger legacy.

Hee Haw's Lu Lu has more in common with Pamela Sue Anderson than Daimler's abortion of automotive engineering has to the sleek and agressive Chargers of the sixties and seventies.

The aggressively designed '99 Charger concept was the true heir to the Charger legacy. Instead Daimler dumbed down its heritage to grocery getter with a ridiculous "Bait & Switch" routine, substituting the attractive '99 concept with Yugo's answer to the muscle car.

Daimler can continue to pay exhorbitant sums of money to spin-doctors, race car drivers and commentators to push what they are serving, but I'll never goose-step to their rhetoric. Instead this former lifelong MOPAR enthusiast will take his business elsewhere.

Left unchecked, it is apparent that the Daimlerization of Chrysler will soon result in a complete line of squat, snub nosed Mercedes-like vehicles. The result will be the complete purging of any sheet metal DNA from Dodge's true muscle car legacy.

When this happens there will only be two U.S. automakers to carry on the American muscle car heritage. It's time for the De-Daimlerization of Chrysler.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thats one impressively bitter and anachronistic post! Personally, I think the new Charger is awesome, I could care less about its heritage or the name that is affixed to this muscle car.

If I had the means or desire for a muscle car right now, I happily take this one over the hip-hop mafia 300C or the incredible but not so versatile two door Mustang GT.

"Hee Haw's Lu Lu has more in common with Pamela Sue Anderson than Daimler's abortion of automotive engineering has to the sleek and agressive Chargers of the sixties and seventies."

FYI: There are a lot of us who have money but dont remember or care about Hee Haw or the sleek, agressive, and completely irrelevant Chargers of the 60s and 70s. This is the one we've got now, and by all initial indications, Chrysler is going to sell them in spades.

And this probably isnt the best place, but the Daimlerization of Chrysler is FINALLY starting to pay off, and NOW you're calling for less integration. Yes, lets please go back to the wildly successful fleet sales of the most recent Intrepids and Concordes, and the incredibly dynamic Stratus R/T and refined and classy Neons.

~alpha
  • itsnotachargeritsnotacharger Member Posts: 21
    What would it be like if Daimler took over Ferrari? Would it be like this?

Daimler CEO, "We're going to design a new Ferrari 308 GTB."

Token Ferrari Exec, "Fantastic, it's a Ferrari classic that was known for an appealing aerodynamic body and aggresive stance. With wind tunnel tests we can decrease its drag and improve its performance even more."

Chief Daimler Designer & CEO golf buddy, "Hold on, that's too costly. We just want the name for sales, we don't want this car to draw upon the 308's sex appeal or racing legacy. I want it to look as if it has mutated into a completely different vehicle."

Daimler CEO, "That's a great Idea, we can save money by putting it on our shorter, stubby Mercedes frames."

Chief Daimler Designer, "Yes, by chopping off that sleek Ferrari nose and replacing it with a grill from a delivery van we can do this. Also, by putting disproportionately huge rear wheel wells on the car, we can maintain the look of a toad that's about to leap upon its prey.

Token Ferrari exec, "What are you talking about? You're completely ignoring the Ferrari mistique and design cues. What seasoned Ferrari enthusiast is going to buy one of your cardboard boxes?

Daimler CEO, "We just want the Ferrari logo on the car for name recognition. If those, Stuck in the Past" Ferrari owners don't like it they can take their business elsewhere. I just hope the door doesn't hit them in the butt on the way out.

Daimler Marketing Department, "Yeah, and to promote the vehicle we can get some paroled rap artist to fawn all over the car to pump up the youth sales. Then, we could turn around and sell it to the police. That way we can get sales from both sides of the law. Also, if we pay off a few race car drivers, they'll give the trophy for the cutest baby to the ugliest kid on the stage.

Daimler CEO, "How about a movie with the new Ferrari 308 GTB based on the Magnum P.I. TV show? Instead of driving up in the older and sleeker version we can have him drive up in our new delivery van Ferrari 308 GTB.

Daimler Chief Designer, "Yes, yes and I can put a stripe on the car to make it look exciting. Those kids are so gullible, you know.

Token Ferrari Exec, "You're destroying the Ferrari name. Ferrari stands for class & distinction, you can't show them a steak dinner and then give them an Egg-McMuffin.

Daimler Chief Designer, "You're a lunatic. No one wants that old reworked aerodynamic design, they just want the name. We could sell a swaybacked mule as a thorougbred racehorse and as long as we still had that two percent of the population that believes anything, we can get our sales.

Daimler CEO, "And once we've erradicated any semblance of the original Ferrari's from the earth, we can drop the Ferrari name altogether.

Have a nice day.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Your last two posts belong in discussions on our News & Views board, not here in a dedicated sedan discussion.

You created itsnotacharger, "Daimler's abuse of the Dodge Charger legacy." #1, 16 Oct 2004 8:57 pm - that's where your first post (#320) belongs. And I'm sure you can find a place for this one as well.

Thanks.
    Itsnotacharger!!! So good to see you back buddy. Thought the people at Edmunds/Daimler had you whacked. I don't know why your posting has to be moved to the other board. This is a discussion and there should be NEGATIVES as well as positives. Has it been moved because the people at Daimler are now reading what the true gear heads are talking about?? Come on Pat, let the people post the negatives as well as the positives.
    I like companies that play on the proud heritage of a name. The current Dodge Monaco that Daimler is calling Charger is a laughing stock amongst the people that know about the history of the car. How is it that Ford consults with Mustang affecianodos before radically re doing the Mustang? Why does GM hire focus groups that are made up of Vette owners before re doing a major American icon? They at least get the idea. The head lamps on the new Vette this year were the first major break through on that car since the redesign of the current generation from that of the mid 90's.
    Daimler will sell this Rat called a Charger. People like Alpha and others willl buy it because of the size, options and available V8 power which none of the competitors offer. This car would sell if it was painted **** Brown and called the Dodge Colt. Itsnotacharger is right, Deiter took over and ruined the Charger dreams of the 99 concept car we all had in mind. The arguement that the propane engine and the cost are LAME and unacceptable excuses for pedaling a bulky, truck nosed, reskinned 300C on people. The reason that Daimler did not build the concept was because Deiter didn't want the old school Dodge thinking in his current company. As I have said before and I'll say it again, this link proves that with some "Creative Thinking" The current Charger :lemon: could have been made more appealing to everyone while still keeping 4 doors for functionality and a HEMI.
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodge/
    Arguements made by the spokespeople at Chrysler are the same PR spin that Burke Brown read from during the moderated disccuison that took place several months ago. Side curtain airbags, 50/50 weight distribution, "BETTER Handling" are all the reason for this current Charger. Come on, give us a break! The 99 concept would not have been a good handling car? Any car now with radial tires, some modern suspension and ABS brakes, combined with traction control will out handle any cars from the 60's and 70's, even the cars of the 80's and 90's. Just a weak excuse from Daimler. Robin T. and the group need to rework the press release spin that your Public Relations depart is putting out. Just say that the reason the Charger looks the way it does is because the bean counters got their wishes. It's easier to build 3 cars on 1 platform.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    People may certainly post negatives about the car. But this is the Sedans board and it isn't the place to get into an extended debate about the corporate issues of any manufacturer. We have the News & Views board for that and itsnotacharger himself created the right discussion.

We need to keep this discussion focused on the 06 Charger itself and take the philosophical debates to where they belong. Thanks.
    Can anyone explain to me the Dealer Allocation process...does that mean that even if I have ordered a car and put a deposit down on one and the dealer is only allocated one R/T for the month of May I may not get the car I have ordered???
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Allocation can cause delays, and in certain cases, such as the end of the model year build out, the loss of the order. My experience has been more of a delay issue than an issue of not ever getting the car. Allocation is based on sales so larger dealers in the cities usually get more of the hotter selling models faster than the lower volume dealers. My Magnum RT was ordered in early May of 2004 and not delivered until mid-October. It was worth the wait.
    I read a post on Friday 5/6/05 (it's been removed since then) apparently by a dealer indicating that he had received a single Charger RT and was offering it for sale (that's why it got removed).

Is it possible that a dealership actually received a Charger already when every dealer I've talked to doesn't even know what month they'll be getting cars, how many they're getting, etc.? Or is it more likely that someone made up the story to see what the interest would be?

Has anyone heard a firm date (or approximation) about when Chargers will be on dealer lots? One of my local dealers thinks they're getting some this week (5/8/05-5/14/05) but they're still not sure.
  • johnbirdmanjohnbirdman Member Posts: 14
    I saw 2 white 6 cylinder Chargers at a Dodge dealer here in Maryland yesterday. I like the styling better than the 300's, not quite so bulky looking.
  • ahoneymanahoneyman Member Posts: 1
    I bought a '66 yellow Charger, the original fastback with a lot of help from my parents, (I was in college at the time.) It cost $3,220 dollars and had everything I wanted. Now here's the deal guys. That car absolutely sucked in the winter snow and it was a total pain in the butt to get into the rear seat. I always used to shake my head about that. Full-size car, great rear seat and damn near impossible to get into. I just checked out a 2005 mustang and they have a great retro car. If I want to go back to cheesy rear seats, cheap materials and a claustrophobic interior, well, by golly I will just go out and get one of them thar cars!

It was never about two doors or four doors. It was about full power, good looks and the ability to use the vehicle for something other than to impress. The other car that was out there that we all salivated over was the Road Runner. Nothing more than a Plymouth Satellite with a 440 and a sick pack or a hemi, (or a 383 for the pansies). I don't want to go back to a 2 door because of the name having "icon" status. I want a car with great handling, modern electronics, (read ESP here), modern steering, great brakes and GO! (This astonishing car will go 0-60 in 6 seconds, and even more important from 60-0 in only 110 feet. The new Mustang takes 135 feet to do the same thing!) The new charger has all this and gives an astonishing 25 mpg on the highway. (Chargers of my era could only coax out about 9-11 mpg if you had a light foot.)

I've got to assume all the crybabies out there who are bemoaning the Dukes car never actually drove one. In everything that evokes what the Charger meant to us, the actual owners of these cars, this Charger IS a Charger!
    Sorry you feel that way.
    Well said, ahoneyman. Some people are disapointed that the new Charger isn't a 2 door, and I would have liked it to be a slightly smaller coupe myself. That said, I test drove an RT today and it was a hell of a nice car. Very solid feeling. I could feel every one of those 340 horses. It reminded me more of a modern version of an old Olds 98 with a 455 rocket V8 than an old Charger. That can be good or bad depending on your perspective. It's a little larger than I need, but I loved it. If they knock a few thousand off MSRP in the next few months, which is likely, I'll be buying one and driving it for the next 15 years.
  • crockersmithcrockersmith Member Posts: 10
    The Dodge dealer here in Middle Georgia has a black Charger RT on his showroom floor (May 10) and it looks great. This is a big car and has a very open feel inside. The quality of the interior is impressive also.I may go back later and ask for a test drive if it is still around.
  • cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    Glad to hear about the interior. The interiors of the NY Auto Show Charger models was absolutely terrible - hard molded plastic doors that didn't fit well together and dashboards that looked like chalkboards.. Hopefully they've addresses this somewhat in production.
    A dealer in Tustin, CA got a Charger RT in last week and I took it out for a test drive. Very responsive throttle! I can see getting a few tickets with this one! It's as fast as my old Z28 (if not faster) and as smooth and quiet as my Acura. The front seats and dash seem to be nearly identical to the Magnum (from the few quick peeks I've done in a Magnum); I didn't notice a particularly cheap feel to the doors and dash; not fancy but not cheap. Seeing the interior in person rather than pictures, I much prefer the dark interior vs. the lighter one in most of the pics.

They had just unloaded it from the truck and hadn't even washed it yet. When I went back the next day it was inside the showroom, not available for test drives. I guess I lucked out. I placed an order for one this weekend to get the right color and equipment. The dealer expects (or told me he expects) about 5-6 weeks for delivery. I'm not holding my breath, but the dealers in this area seem to be getting more in pretty regularly. I've counted 4 or 5 dealers in the area showing Charger RT inventory. Anyone have an idea of a realistic lead time these days? Dealer says that customer orders get priority over dealer stocking orders.
    I just read that Dodge/Chrysler has decided to do away with the 7/70 powertrain warranty starting with the Charger. Instead, the powertrain will be covered by the bumper-to-bumper 3/36 warranty. They cite quality improvements over the last 13 years that have made the long warranty less of a selling point and will offer it as an option.

Any experience with whether it would be a good idea to buy an extended warranty? I know that in general they're just a cash cow for the dealership that sells them but I haven't purchased a Dodge in over 15 years.
  • enygma6enygma6 Member Posts: 35
    Glad you like the Charger, and best of luck with it.
    It was almost exactly a year ago when I got the first test drive in on the Magnum RT at my local Dodge dealer and promptly placed an order (as you did, for specific color/equipment). At that time I was quoted 6-8 weeks delivery time, and my RT arrived at 8 weeks. I'm not sure how the production capacity will be this year, the Magnum and 300 are still in production at the same facilities as the Charger, but only the Charger is being introduced as new, so orders for the other two may have dropped after the initial rush allowing them to focus on getting some new Chargers out there.

As for the interior of the Charger, I'm assuming it hasn't changed much since the Detroit Auto Show where I was able to sit in one and give it a look over. The only differences I noted from the Magnum interior was the Charger has an aluminum trim on the center console stack around the stereo/climate controls (like the 300), whereas the Magnum is textured black plastic.
    Everything else was the same as the Magnum. This means lots of heavy plastic, rubber where it's likely to contact the occupants (arm rests), and many pockets for holding things.
    I have the light interior in my car, and while I like the lighter look than having it all be dark inside, it does tend to show more when it is in need of cleaning
    (I chose the Mineral Grey Metallic exterior paint, so I like the contrast with the light interior)
  • hemiphilehemiphile Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Charger will be offered with a stick? The 300 and Magnum are not but those concepts appeal more to the auto only or auto stick crowd. If Dodge wants it to compete with the Mustang and the GTO they're going to need to pony up (no pun intended). And you could get a stick on just about anything offered from Daimler's "other" division.
    NOPE!
  • kowalskikowalski Member Posts: 94
    Its sad to see the charger name again on a car thats not what the charger name requires..I remember the 80's remember those chargers ,this is no different its only a name your buying..

I own a magnum rt awd and love it the magnum is literally a charger wagon ..
    IMO.........
    The charger is going to have a tough time competeing with the mustang it is not close to the Mustang in any way ..
    I feel it will fill the rental lots well ...........Thats about it ......Nothing real special ,I really dont like the look of the Charger it looks slapped together ,and is a comdo of a 300,Magnum..... I prefer the magnum for versitilty ..I love the looks of the magnum ..
    I feel Dodge has lost touch quickly this car is an indicator ..
    They should have ran the Challenger again and made it mean this new charger is only being brought out there to follow the new Dukes of Hazzard Movie!
    Im not sold at all ..
    They just slapped this cat together its obvious..
    This is the first Charger review I have seen http://cars.about.com/od/dodg1/fr/bj_06charger.htm
  • slavoslavo Member Posts: 1
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I drove the Charger RT yesterday and it is impressive. The car is fast, handles well, no rattles and the interior is accommodating and comfortable. The car was very controllable and the suspension was taut. However when we drove up the lot the car was parked right in the front and I failed to see it, my brother who was with me saw it first. I parked my 73 Charger about 10 feet away and we closely looked at the car. The interior, drivability and Hemi are wonderful. Where the car fails to appeal is in the appearance. The car simply does not have the Charger instinct, graceful lines or muscle associated with true Chargers. The salesman said the same, he expected real muscle car lines but we did not get it. He did sell me on the interior, ride, power and after driving it he was absolutely correct. Now for the amusing part that proves my point. After the test drive I parked my 73 Charger about 10 feet away again. While we were discussing looks, price, etc., a middle aged lady (who was with another salesman) actually came by and asked if my Charger was for sale. I am NOT making this up. She looked at my 73 Charger and wanted to know if it was for sale. My brother and I and our salesman looked at each other chuckled and then we had to tell her it was my car. Needles to say when a 32 year old car gets more attention than a new Charger please understand what most of the public I’m sure is saying. This new "Charger" is nice in so many ways but it does NOT look like a true Charger. It seems the styling department stretched the Dodge Neon, put a meaner face on it and called it "Charger." Perhaps what the salesman said is true, he said that this car will appeal to a different market. The outside did not appeal to me. Why should I pay $38,000.00 for a car that is not appealing? Please redesign this car, it needs to look like a true Charger. Longer front end, read end like a 68 through 74, muscle and curves that extend from the A and C pillars to entire car. All you have to change is the outside.

Please answer this: why four doors?
    If a customer wanted GREAT looking cars with four doors could he not purchase the Dodge Magnum or 300?

Ford is coming out with their Shelby Mustang 500 and the Chevy Camaro is also making a comeback. The Camaro is retro from the late 60’s and looks incredible. Reminds me of the Cuda. Please do not let Chevy’s camaro look like the Cuda. If you do redesign the Cuda please make it look like the real Cuda, four doors not necessary.
    Hello, I agree with you 100% what where they thingking its an ugly car plain and simple..I had a 1973 challenger and a 1970 charger glad to see you stilll own yours ..Id go with the mustang any day .....
    I wonder what market the salesman was refering too.
    The Blind??????LOL
    Man that is one ugly car .....
    I got the Charger R/T I ordered back in April and I love it. I think it has a great look.
    If it were a two door I would not have bought it. I would have bought this car if it were called an Intrepid, Coronet or Sparrow. I just dont understand the hang up some people have on a four door Charger or its styling. It is what it is and I like it.
    All the moaning and groaning will not cause DCX to change the car. If you dont like it....buy something else.
    Please know if you like it thats all that counts....
    I had just seen the Charger up close at Gingerman speed way .
    I saw a mustang an an older one eat the Charger on the track..
    I owned these cars back in the 70,s I just dont like the manner on which they use the name or a name plate to insite a buyer to make a purchase..
    I actaully commend Dodge for trying and Im sure youll love the car .

4 doors is what blows it for me I wish they would have made it a 2 door.
    I did I bought a magnum RT AWD and I love it I just have little faith in dodge and its gonna take time to adjust to thier tactics...
    Soory it just a preference not to be taken personally..

Id buy the charger if they would have made it a bit more an idviduals car.
    It seems dodge is marketing Hemi watering down the real hemis.
    Im not a fan of tags a stickers that are meaningless.
    Ford brought out the new mustang as it pays homage to the real deal ,unlike dodge whos just slapping names on cars to generate sales.
    The GTO was a bomb for pontiac I feel the charger will follow suit.
    But you know it may work out to be a plus having a car thats not so main stream.
    Thats why I bought the magnum over the 300c .There are 300's everywhere i hardly ever see a magnum on the road in my area..

Im trying to instill faith with dodge again and Ill keep an open mind..
    I just know what they are capabile of and its not good usually....
    Well see in a few years if the Dodge is still in my stable of cars or if itys replaced..
    Time will tell.
    All the moaning and groaning will not cause DCX to change the car. If you dont like it....buy something else.

Thats my point maybe they should survey the customer a bit more than rolling out cars that are just plain slap togethers of other models..Maybe wed buy more if they researched more of what the customer wants ,than to just make us settle ..
    They do read these posts maybe it will help!
    Congratulations on your new R/T 2000rt1! I'm thinking abour buying one myself. Please keep us posted about things you like or dislike about your Charger.
    Kowalski, sorry the new Charger wasn't what you hoped it would be. I understand how you feel. Personally I'm just happy that performance cars are back in any form. The 4 cylinder Mustangs and Chargers of the late 70's and 80's are what really sucked!
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    Saw the 400HP GTO on a lot for $27,785 and have heard of last years selling for $25k all the way down to $22k something. If a person is power hungry, then why not this car over the Charger? The 300 is a unique looking passenger car and I can see people loving this new shape or whatever, but the Charger I have yet to understand. The Magnum is a cool looking station wagon. But what is the Charger? Now the '71 Charger looks hot! The GTO looks pretty nice, especially this years model. Holden's look pretty smooth in styling. I wish the nameplate was not GTO, but rather Holden so you do not have a pretend car. It is not a Pontiac. An Aussie Pontiac ? OK, guess it is.
    Loren
    Congrats on the new car! It sounds like factory orders of the Charger might actually take only 6 weeks or so (April->May)? I placed an order last weekend and the dealer quoted me 5-6 weeks compared to other dealers' quotes of 12-16 weeks. I hope my guy is right!

I totally agree with your statement about the naming of the car. I've been searching for a new car for almost 12 months now. I have a long, specific list of features/wants and a pricepoint (under $35k) that so far no car seemed to fit until now. That the car I chose is named Charger doesn't make much of a difference to me; that's not why I chose it.

Those who condemn DCX for putting the Charger name on a 4-door that doesn't fit their idea of what a modern Charger "should" look like are entitled to their opinion. Nobody is telling them to park it in their garage and like it. I sincerley hope that there IS a 2-door version of the Charger in the future when my kids are grown up and I don't need a 4-door anymore.
    Me too I am sorry if I was a bit harsh ..I longed for the big 3 to inject more horse in thier car lines.I esspecially like the cars are coming back with RWD..
    If the Charger is anything like the rt magnum youll be very happy..
    It can only get better..
    CONGRATS to the New Charger owner 2000RT Im sorry if I offended you in any way .Its ones personal taste that matter..

Go Dodge..
    I couldnt agree more with you why did they name it GTO..
    Its the same way i feel on the charger but well give them a shot..
    I looked around the net, and I bet if they keep the charger in the line up the chargerevolve
    .I found some pics of the new charger and what it was supposed to like .Wow now if they build the car in the pics Ive seen that would rock ..
    It was very cool to say the least ..All straight lines 18" wheels and it looked like a beast.The new Gto looks awsome it will be out in 07 and looks alot like the older gto.....

Now maybe they will do it in a few years and Ill have 2 dodges in my garage ,man I thought Id never say that .
    I do have faith they are onto something..
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Unfortunatly, 2 door cars don't sell well. The market is just not there. The GTO may be haunted by this same issue. Infant car seats and ease of entry have made two doors only marketable to singles or DINKS (dual incomes no kids). Four doors have a much bigger market. Before you start on the rear door kid saftey issue all 4 doors (even Minivans) have child saftey locks that prevent the doors from opening by using the inside handles, thet must be opened from outside. Styling, well that is up to the purchaser.
  • enygma6enygma6 Member Posts: 35
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=105709?tid=edmunds.h..in- sideline.promo.2g.*
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/articles/105686/article.html

The Charger redesign is not for everyone. Neither are the 300 nor the Magnum.
    However, there are people out there who will buy it.
    People who need a medium-large sedan.
    People who don't have hangups over a 35-year-old car name.
    People who for some quirk of personality actually like the new aggressive styling.
    People who don't care about looks, and just want comfortable power in something more practical than a sports car.

That being said, the Charger is NOT for me.
    -- the Magnum is. I'm a station-wagon guy.
    I like the in-your-face look, and the handling and power given by the Hemi were enough to sway me from Subaru.
    The same reason some people will NEVER buy a Magnum if it was given to them for free, because it's a station wagon. If they like the platform, but don't want to follow the crowd of new 300 owners and are waiting for a sedan, they might go for the Charger.

As for 2 vs. 4 doors, the rear seat of the Charger (same as the Magnum and 300) is not some cramped thing suitable only for little children, as could be found in Mustangs. The rear seating area is big. Plenty of room for 3 adults. It's fine to let kids squeeze into the back seats of coupes, but to get older people in/out of such on a regular basis can become more effort than it is worth. Hence the theory behind "sedans sell better than coupes". The Charger is not quite in the same class of vehicle as a Mustang. It is a bigger vehicle. Don't harp on it just because it makes accommodations for its larger size.
    Having said that, it's STILL shorter than the '70's chargers ;)
    IMO its one watered down looking car ,that looks nothing like the concept they said was going into production.
    Typical DC..............
This discussion has been closed.