Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• bimmerpilotbimmerpilot Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the confirmation that limited slip is all I really need. Is there some marking on the diff or a tag I.D. that will tell me if the used Jeeps I'm looking at have the LSD?

Thanks!
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    The limited slip diffs should have a small metal tag on one of the cover bolts that says something like "friction modifier required". This would only apply to the factory LSD, or Trac-Loc diffs. If you have the VIN, you can also ask a dealership or DC to give you a copy of the build sheet which provides all the options the Jeep was ordered with.

Good call on the 33's guys; just ommited the "require a lift" part! Tonkadave has a great looking TJ with the 33 x 10.5 ATs but he's also running the OME lift to get clearance for them.

-twylie
  • wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    thats cool you got the photos. i might send you some more photos from one of my trips at hollister hills doing one of the hard trails .
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I think if you jack up the rear, and turn one wheel forward, the other should go backward.

Not sure on that one, though. I bet you'd find it on JU.
  • lvcheflvchef Member Posts: 52
    Well I finally got my new Jeep last Saturday! I haven't been wheeling in it yet, maybe this weekend. It is a Sweet Jeep. My buddy just bought the Jeep Apex yesterdady and loves it. I think the Orange leather seats are terrible, but who am I? It has most of the options that a Sport have, but I think not as nice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    'bout time you were able to pick it up - Congrats!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    CONGRATS! Bet you're lovin' that 4.0 engine after having the 2.5 in your last Jeep, ain't ya?

Get some pics up here in the photo gallery!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I have been pushing my luck with the topless/doorless thing, and today it caught up with me. Got WET!

My Cuz, Ross Allen, and I drove Thelma Jane down to Turkey Bay this AM, a trip of about 70 miles one way. About half way there, it rained hard, and I guess we should have turned around and went back home. The rain slacked off and finally stopped as we got closer to Turkey Bay, and by the time we got there, it was not raining and had not even rained there at all.

After a couple hours, here came the rain! We left Turkey Bay, and it rained hard for about the first half of the trip home. We all got a little wet, but poor old Ross Allen got the worst of it, though.

Oh well, it was kind of fun in a way, and Thelma will dry out.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Congrats on finally getting that Jeep, lvchef. We should go 'wheeling one of the times we're in Vegas.

tsjay - I hope you dried off Ross Allen and then gave him a couple of milk bones. He deserves lots of attention for getting soaked like that. I don't have to ask, I already know that you've dried out Thelma Jane. Have you ever thought about getting neoprene (the wet suit material) seat covers? Might help if you get caught in too many more rain storms.

Can you send us some of that rain? There's no rain in sight and everything is dusty and dry. This morning I was hiking with the dog and noticed how much of a dust trail he raised just trotting along the dirt road we were on. A little mud would be fun about now...
    i sent you 3 more photos from today . i was out at the 4x4 shop useing the flex ramp. i have'nt been out wheeling for like two weeks now. we could use some rain here too.
  • lvcheflvchef Member Posts: 52
    Here in Las Vegas, we really need rain. We went a record 115 days without any precipitation. Talk about dusty...But it rained about .8 of an inch two days after I got my jeep. It lost its viginity that day. I was babying it for a while, but not now. Going wheeling tomorrow at Mt. Charlston area. Looking forward to it...

Tsjay: If I take some pictures, how do I post em? Is it easy? I am fairly computer suave, so we will see. I'll try to post some of all my past Jeeps. 94 YJ Sahara, 99 Cherokee Sport,01 TJ SE, 02 TJ Sport.

Also I need to come up w/ a name for my jeep. I'm not very good at this naming part... Help me out...
    Get some lifts and call it "High Roller." Got to be a unique name in your neck of the woods, right? ;-)

Steve
    Host
    How about "Dry Roller"?

"Hair Roller"?

"Mountain Mama"?
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    A week ago, I caught about 1/2" in a downpour while I was in a mall. Drove home with what looked like an inch or so sloshing around in the front floor. Even had about 1/2" in the cup holders. Got home, pulled the mats out and threw them on the patio. Pulled the plugs and let it drain. Left it out in the sun the next day. Everything except the seats was dry by noon. Had a little more trouble putting the mats back in than I expected. Drove it around some that afternoon to finish drying out the seats (I was surprised how fast they dried, considering how wet they were). Red Ryder doesn't seem to be any worse off for the experience.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    I share your excitement in getting a new vehicle. I hope you both have many many great experiences in your new Jeeps. Enjoy!!

dwrangler soon to be smedcougar ;)
    Just got back from an unexpected business trip, so I have only just now downloaded your pics. They were good shots, and thanks for sending them.

What did you "score" on the ramp? I really don't know how that scoring works, but it looks like you were flexing pretty good there.

Tom

I recommend Photoworks.com for your film processing. That's who I use, and I am very pleased with their service and pricing.

They develop your film and sent you duplicate prints up to 4" X 6" size, scan your pics and store them on their web site, and send you a CD with high resolution scans of your pics for about $18, which includes a replacement roll of film.

You can email your pics to anyone you want to from the Photoworks web site. You are actually sending the thumbnails, which enlarge when the recipient clicks on them. They can download them to their hard drive, if they want to keep them.

To post pics in the photo gallery here, you will need to find a web site to host your pics. You need one that allows hot links, which Photoworks does not do. You ought to take advantage of your ISP's web space, if they allow you some space with your account. I have AOL and am allowed a certain amount of space, which I used to make web pages for Ross Allen and for Thelma Jane.

Once you have your pics hosted on the Net somewhere, then you can post in the photo gallery here.

As far as a name for your Jeep, it really needs to be something that you come up with yourself, but I would be glad to offer general suggestions. One that comes to mind is some type of spice, since you are a chef and your Jeep "spices up" your life. Maybe there is some chef that you have always admired, and you could name your Jeep after him?

Hope you come up with a good name. A Jeep deserves a good name!

Tom

i have to go back and do some math, i would like to know too. they just leave the ramp in the parking lot at the 4x4 shop. i can't wait to get my new tires this weekend ! there just some cheep mt's bt they should do real good . i'm going with the 31's . i can't wait to do the lost coast run with serob and the rest of them i'll send you some photos .
  • smedcougarsmedcougar Member Posts: 27
    It's still me Deb...just changed my username to suit my new car ;) Tomster...what's this? You got wet? Say it isn't so man ;) Well, you're right it was bound to happen sooner or later...but you're all dry now right?

SeRob...where ya been son? Everytime I get on at Gill's chat room you haven't been there. That baby's already got you wrapped around her figure doesn't she? ;)

Well, you all have a great week and weekend and if ya go wheelin...stay safe and get pictures :)

smedcougar
    I get the cougar part, but the "smed"?
    i've only seen serob here like once. he has his owen message board now. theres a bunch of use doing a trip up north on 10/19-20 . if you want to see where serob has been go to his site. i would give to you myself but the web cops won't let me.
  • tapgypsytapgypsy Member Posts: 11
    I'm seeking some input and advice from Jeep owners.

My son will soon be legally driving. (Run for the hills! LOL!) He has his eye on a '95 Jeep Rio Grande Wrangler, 5-speed, 4 cylinder. It appears to be in good condition even though it has 106,000. The asking price is $5500, which is close to Edmund's figures. Is this a good deal?

Is a Jeep Wrangler a good vehicle for a novice driver?? The kid has no clue about driving a stick, but his father and I both think it's a good idea for him to learn how.

Thanks for any advice!
    Defensive Driving School for Teenagers

Steve

Host

I think that learning to drive a MT as a kid is a good idea - then practicing starting in an empty parking lot seems like a big adventure.

Not sure that the Wrangler is the best car for a beginner, though - would depend on the kid. There are a number of handling characteristics that have to be taken into consideration to drive one safely (for a long time, that is), and I love the idea of the defensive driving course given by a professional driver. I'd like to take one of those myself!

If your son is not hooked on speed and showing off, it could be fine. My '98 has 106,000 miles on it and I haven't had any problems beyond the exhaust manifold (common problem for years before 2000). I'm planning on keeping it another 4 years or so.
  • jthurlowjthurlow Member Posts: 21
    A minor problem, for everyone's info: the '97 & '98 Wranglers had a sliding selector system. Beginning in '99, the Heater/AC selector is a rotary knob. Last week, I was unable to change positions on my '99 Sport. The Chrysler dealer said it was probably a broken knob. He pulled the old one off, and the plastic had split. The replacement only cost six dollars.

J. Thurlow
    FYI, the sliding knob on my 1997 TJ Sport doesn't work too swift, either.
    I would prefer to have a new driver start with a Jeep rather than have a him/her get used to driving a car and then get a Jeep later.

I say this because I would be afraid that a kid would get used to handling a car and then, if he got a Jeep later, would have trouble adjusting to the slower speeds, especially cornering speeds, needed for the safe operation of a Jeep.

Also, hopefully, a kid would realize that he doesn't have a hot rod if he has a Jeep to drive and wouldn't feel compelled to see how fast it would go.

Just be sure whatever the kid starts with that he gets proper instruction and is made to realize the responsibility he is undertaking when he gets behind the wheel.

I wish you and the new driver the very best.

Tom

i did'nt start driving until i was 21 . kids don't need to drive ,unless you live miles from school . dose this kid have a job ? mebe you should buy him a real good bike . on a bike you can ride for miles and you still get the wind in your hair .
    Hey Tsjay, my old eyes are reading better this week (touch wood). Are you sure we didn't have our '03 TMV and invoice pricing up last week ? ;-)

2003 Jeep Wrangler

Steve

Host

That wasn't me that said you didn't have it. Don't remember who it was, but it wasn't me.

When you gonna get a Jeep??????

Tom

When are you going to take me wheeling in yours?

Steve
    Host
    Hey I didn't hardly get to drive...I was lucky that I was ready enough to take my driving test. I did great on the written...95%, but I was so nervous with the "prison guard" that rode with me and plus I was driving in a tank (an impala, that's when they were the size of a tank)...I got a 70% driving...just barely passing.

I didn't get a car of my own til I was 20 or 21. Kids in high school driving their own car was a rare privilage that very few students were allowed to do. It was hard to get a parking permit unless you had a job to work...Anyway.

As far as the smed part...whenever I would call my friend (the one that was really sick and in the hospital last year) they screen their calls with the answering machine and after the beep I said, "Hey, it's sme anybody home?" Ever since then...it just kinda stuck.

;)

have a great day!

sme Deb
    The reason that kids didn't have cars when you were in high school is because cars hadn't been invented yet. :)

Tom

• dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Tom,
    You are getting pretty darn brave when you start
    talking about a womans age. Better be careful :)

dewars
    Like the sme story - cute.

While I didn't own a car until I was out of college and in the Army, I did have access to a car. With 3 cars and 3 drivers in the family I got the one with a stick and no air conditioning! My parents had originally bought it as an incentive for my older sister - either graduate from college or pay for the car. She didn't do either - she got married and gave the car back to my folks, which is how I ended up with it during summer/Christmas breaks in college.

I started wanting a Jeep when I first joined the Army in '75, but didn't actually buy one until '98. That itch never really went away, so Deb, since you have that itch, you might as well plan on satisfying it sooner, rather than later. Like within 5 years. Don't wait 20 plus years, like I did!
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Ii was was the one ribbing you last week on the '03 numbers... Glad to see you lit a fire under the research guys!

Just got back from a week on the gulf coast. Jeep did well towing a small utility trailer with kayaks and a cooler. I got lousy mileage, but was probably running faster than I should have been. The new receiver hitch kills rear departure angle, but it's a short term solution until I get a replacement bumper.

We drove through about 4 hours of off and on rain with just the bikini, windjammer, and duster. Nothing more than a few ounces of H20 in the rear floor.

Glad to have some news posts to read when I got home!

-twylie
    We got the locker installed last night but left the differentials dry (drained the front diff too) so that the Permatex could set-up overnight. We were gonna fill the diffs tonight after work, but it was raining pretty hard and I didn't want to drive Thelma Jane home in the rain, since she is topless and doorless.

So, it will be tomorrow before I can check out the handling with that locker back there. Hope I haven't given up to much streetworthiness. We'll see.

Tom

We're all waiting impatiently to hear how it goes. Tell it to stop raining!
    It's just a number :) Anyway it never has bothered me...but it has my oldest brother, especially when he hit 30, 40, 50...grandpa?...oh no!!! ;) It is only an issue if you let it. I may be 39 but I feel like I'm still in my 20's...even though my body may be screaming YOU'RE ALMOST 40!!! ;)

Hey tomster...I had an old tank for a car but you had Fred Flintstone's stone age car with the footpowered braking system ;)

If ya go wheelin this weekend have fun and be careful.

smedcougar...Deb
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    My dad taught me how to drive when I was 14. I saved my grass cutting money and bought a 68 Plymouth Valiant with the slant six (best engine Chrysler ever made until the Viper V10). I was 15.

I spent a year doing brakes, bondo, paint, tires, hoses, belts, gaskets, etc. I only drove with my dad in the car (learners permit).

I also took drivers education when I was 15.

By the time I was driving on my own I was pretty responsible.

I worry about my kids on the road now because there are a LOT more drivers then there were when I was younger (at least in the area we live in).

BUT, I certainly do not want to be a cab driver taking my kids to work, school events, practice, etc. (Thank god my wife can do that in her minivan!). LOL

Can you believe I had to wait 24 years to get my Jeep?
    hey tom doing any wheeling this weekend ? we made some new bumpers yesterday and today in one hour i pick uo my 31's . we should have time to take it out to see how it all works out. if you want i'll send you some photos .and we'll do another flex ramp test tonight. you do wheel baise x how far up the ramp to get your number .
    That locker is not going to be a problem in my driving on pavement! I drove around town a while, and there is nothing that bothers me about having that Detroit back there.

I hear some clicking as the locker engages and disengages on corners, but that's no big deal. Also, there is a slight pull to the left or right when accelerating after a corner, but that's no biggie either. A couple times after being completely stopped at a light and then making a sharp turn, I chirped a tire a little.

If these are the worst things I have to put up with, then I am totally happy about having that locker. I can probably adjust my driving style so that even these minor things are not as noticeable.

Will most likely have to wait until next weekend to find out how much that locker helps while wheelin'. From all that I have heard, it should make a world of difference.

Tom

Don't guess I'll be going this weekend. That place will be a swamp after all the rain we got. Would probably go anyway, but I'm not hooked up with anyone to go with me in another Jeep.

I would really like to see what that Detroit is gonna do for me on the trail, but I guess it will have to wait until next weekend.

Tom

• nzimmonnzimmon Member Posts: 1
    Im looking into buying new speakers and a sub for my jeep any 1 have any suggestions on a really good one???
    Welcome, nzimmon! I believe you are new here, right? Glad you found us.

A bud at work has a 97 Sport, and he got a sub for the center console from Crutchfield. They had been discontinued, and the ones they have left are discounted a good bit (don't remember how much he had to pay or how much they sold for originally). Apparently, these were made specifically for the center console of a Jeep.

He also upgraded to Polk speakers in the sound bar and in the dash. He ended up with a pretty decent system.

Have you ever dealt with Crutchfield? They are super! They know their stuff and give you real good advice. They also include a lot of stuff that you would pay extra for with other people, like wiring harnesses for easier hook up.

I would check with them, if I were you.

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    I didnt get my "own" car till I was 20.
    It was tough, going though high school without my own car, when all the "cool" kids had their own car. NOT even gonna talk about "dating"
    BAMA is still here, Tazz is still clean (sorry offroaders).
    NZIMMON.. Welcome to the board.
    POLK have good sound, I like JBL myself.
    I agree with Tsjay Cruthfield is GREAT on customer support. If you buy from them they give ya "quick connects" so no wire spicing. They also send ya specs on how to install equipment.

KEEP Jeepin & Roll Tide anyway NCAA

BAMA
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    Sounds like that locker worked out real well. I have also considered putting a locker in my 01 wrangler. I was just wondering what made you decide to go with what you did and how hard was it to install. I have the Dana 35 I don't know what kind of a differance this will make when I go to have a locker installed. Thanks for any comments you may have.
    Hey, man, good ta see ya again!

I would have much preferred a selectable locker, but those puppies are expensive, and, since I will very likely regear in a two or three years, I didn't want to spend the money for one of those.

So, I was going to have to settle for an automatic locker, but I wanted the smoothest operating one I could get for the pavement.

After seeking advice and posting in message boards, I saw that the Detroit Soft Locker was in most people's opinion the best automatic locker.

I could have gone the limited slip route, but what I was after was traction even with one wheel off the ground entirely, as often happens when offroading. A limited slip does no good in that situation.

There are what they call "lunchbox" lockers, like the Detroit EZ Locker, or the LockRight, but they are not as smooth on the pavement and do not have the reputation of lasting for more than two or three years. Two or three years would have been enough in my case, but I wanted the smooth operation of the Detroit Soft Locker for the street.

So, that's how I arrived at my decision, rb.

Tom

RB, I was lucky enough to have a wheelin buddy that knew how to do it, and he installed mine for me. He would have done it for nothing as just a favor, but I made him take some money.

Those "lunchbox" lockers are supposed to be much easier to install, but the Detroit Soft Locker installation is more complicated.

To install the Detroit, you have to take the ring gear and carrier (the guts of the differential) out. The Detroit actually replaces your factory carrier. The only really tricky part is getting the backlash set right when you put the assembly back into the housing. You want the same mesh between the pinion and the ring gear as you had before, or maybe just a little more backlash.

We got lucky, and had to remove only one shim to get the backlash right. I started with .004 backlash, and we ended up with .00525. My bud painted some stuff on a couple of the teeth on the ring gear to check the contact pattern with the pinion gear before and after the installation, and we ended up with the same pattern, which is what you hope for.

I am glad I was there to watch, so I know better what is involved, but no way would I tackle that job.

The installation is critical, so don't let just anyone do it. Probably a lot of the reason for the nice, smooth operation of mine is because it was installed properly.

Good luck!

Tom

• dillondogdillondog Member Posts: 14
    For 03 options you can order either Antilock brakes or 4 wheel disc brakes but not both together. Can anyone give me the advantages and disadvantages of these two options.
    Thanks