Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• discgolfer99discgolfer99 Member Posts: 42
    1 "Ford" Horsepower = 1 "Dodge" Horsepower = 1 "Chevy" Horsepower, right? So if 2 cars with the same H/P, are also equivalent in weight, then the only variable in a race would be the driver. Since the Mustang's weight is at least 12% lighter than the Charger, I certainly hope the Mustang would win.

I'm just trying to get edumucated, in order to understand why the comparison is still being made. I would expect the Mustang to be faster...

Knowing this wealth of info, I would still buy the Charger...
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    WOW you have two 2006 Dodge Charger RTs That is awesome!
  • tom197tom197 Member Posts: 9
    What type of mileage are you getting on the highway? Does the R/T have the cylinder shut down package like the Chrysler 300C?
  • srvattesrvatte Member Posts: 9
    hi, i havent tried on the highway yet havent been on the interstate to check the milage, but with in city traffic i mean in los angeles i am getting around 17-18 and i think that is excellent as i had a nissan murano before this and it used to be 19 in city for a V6.
    yes this does have the MDS system where the 4 valves shutdown automatically when crusing.
    what kinda chaarger do you have?
  • pmac06pmac06 Member Posts: 5
    I just spent some time checking out a RT today and it was a very nice care but in the 30's seems a bit high.
    I would like to know from someone how has one how it really handles and have they had any major problems besides the A/C I keep reading about.
  • eagle41eagle41 Member Posts: 54
    I looked for and found a base R/T. The car is equipped well enough as it is.Get one to two thousand off the sticker and there you go. I live in Florida and have no complaints with the AC. The workmanship is quite good.
    Living in Florida ,because most houses don't have basements makes your garage space valuable.I didn't realize how big the car is until I pulled it in mine. That's my only complaint.
    Good luck !!
  • pmac06pmac06 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks...I really like the options and the car handles really good for as big as it is. Living in PA the RT model with a few extra options are going for 35K...I really like the mustang GT's but there is just no room and 1/4 mile comparison they are pretty close from what I have read giving the size difference. In about Feb when it is cold and they are setting on the lots...I believe they will be willing do deal a little more..But If I can get a good deal now I'll probably go for it. What kind of gas mileage are you getting?
    I lived in the Princeton NJ area for 52 years before moving to Gainesville last year.
    I'm must be going through my third or forth childhood by me getting the Charger. I had a 69 Charger when I was 17.I also was interest in the GT but the back seat thing was a big factor.I also didn't like the amount of problems talked about on the mustang board.
    How do you think that the rear wheel drive will handle up north?
    I'm getting about 17 miles around town and 25 on the highway.
  • lovemydakotalovemydakota Member Posts: 5
    Anyone that has bought an '06 Charger have one in the Stone White color?? I am waiting on mine to be shipped to Florida and I will be the first one in my town to even own a white one. Just curious.
  • lovemydakotalovemydakota Member Posts: 5
  • blackrtblackrt Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my Brilliant Black R/T for about a month. I fell in love with this car the first time I saw it. In the past I've owned a Bonneville SSC and a Camaro IROC Z28. At the time, I loved both of those vehicles. From my experience, I know I would never want to own another 2 door coupe, being 6'1 and 250 pounds. It's just not practical for me. The Charger performs like a champ, turns heads, gets thumbs up, you name it. Gas mileage is decent in the city, at 18 and IMHO pretty good on the Hwy. Once you drive one, you'll want to buy it. The ride is very smooth and very responsive. Power on demand is the best way to describe it.
    I payed $31400, with the heated seats, pwr adjustable pedals, dual zone ATC, electronics convenience group, and a sunroof. This car is well worth the investment. To all the doubters, I say, DRIVE ONE. :shades:
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    has anyone experienced this condition with their charger? this seems to be an ongoing problem with the 300's and the magnum"s...jackg
    I haven't noticed any pull to one side or the other.
  • austin_dangeraustin_danger Member Posts: 4
    "well worth the investment"? dodges perform the same as Enron stock as an investment. i think i'll just light a wad of hundreds on fire instead.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Austin_danger, please email me. Thanks.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• utterutter Member Posts: 79
    How is the bose speaker system Black R/T?
    it is boston not bose and its is terrific
  • tom197tom197 Member Posts: 9
    I do not have a charger. I am currently driving a Honda Accord V-6 and was looking for something larger. I am 6' 3" and in the Accord I feel cramped. The Accord does get great mileage though. I average 27 miles per gallon with the V-6 driving from Long Beach to Laguna Niguel each day. I have been considering
    the Chrysler 300C, the Charger R/T and the Mustang.
    We just got our bill for putting the R/T Charger on and taking my 2003 Wrangler Sport off our insurance policy. Get this ,for the YEAR the charger is $588. to insurance with full coverage. I think my wrangler was at least $100. more.
    I live in Fl instead of my old state of NJ. (I wonder what it would be to insur there?)
    I know I'm getting older but I had no idea that it would this cheap!!
    I almost did the mustang GT thing . I wonder what the insurance would have been on it ?
    The Charger is pure stealth !!
  • meangene3meangene3 Member Posts: 6
    About 2 months ago, i went to a dealer to see the 300c. I loved it. My Saab aero lease was ending and i wanted a new car. While i was bringing the 300 back, I stopped and looked at a charger on the lot. It was a mean looking ride. I drove it about a week later and loved it. It had plenty of whip when you got on it, although it did feel a little heavy. After spending a tonne of time arguing and haggling with dealers al over the region, I was able to get a couple of guys to practically give me the car. I got the selling price down to about 200 bucks over invoice, and a nominal amount of money down. i went to the dealer that had the car thaqt I wanted and I couldnt do it. I new that while this is agreat looking ride, and it drove pretty well stop light to stoplight it wasnt going to work out. 'The inside of this car is shameful. Maybe it was after I got a good look at one that wasnt prepped, but I just felt like this thing was going to be a cheap looking piece of turd once it had 10000 miles on it. Not to mention that this was still going to be a fairly expensive lease for the car that you get, even with a good selling price. I can't wait to see what happens with this car. I bet it is going to be a typical American plastic rattletrap. Why cant they just use some acceptable quality materials for the inside of these cars? For a few dollars more I got a BMw 330i which i love. It is a manual trans (why wasn't this available on the charger?), it is plenty fast, and handles like it is velcroed to the road. Not to mention that i will not have to pay for a single oil change, wiper blade, or anything while i have this car. Oh and the fit and finish of this car is solid. nothing too fancy, just quality naterials, assembled properly. Chrysler could have made this an Incredible car, but as usual, they skimp on quality. Trully a shame. I bet there will not be a Charger being produced by 2008.
  • utterutter Member Posts: 79
  • shane1vshane1v Member Posts: 11
    Hi!
    I'm not a car techie, just love the look and features of the new charger(power/safety/room).
    So, that said...!
    What kind of mileage are people getting with the V6 SE?(I cant afford the Hemi)
    How will the 18" rim option affect mileage/ride?
    Does the stock stereo on the SE have MP3 capability?
    Any "serious" negative experience with the Charger yet?
    Thanks!! :D
  • hemi_ownz_uhemi_ownz_u Member Posts: 11
    You know I have to admit the Charger's interior is my least favorite party of the car, but for looks and power like that i could live with it. Anyway what you were saying about quality and stuff...I admit American cars by and large use too much plastic in the interiors still, however what's also known is that BMWs maybe be put together great and use good materials...but as I recall just about every Euro import has a lousey quality reputation.
    I agree with what your saying . It's funny that people complain about the Charger because it doesn't look like those of the past. In reality the interior of my 69' Charger wasn't too great by any means !! As a matter of fact you could put the 06 Charger interior into the 69 version and it would fit right in. I 'm very pleased so far with my R/T .
    I did the BMW thing when I had a loaded 328 i . For the price, and I only paid $28500. for my Charger this is a far better car. Speed, ride, stereo, trunk space, and interior room are far superior.
    Oh by the way ,I'm thrilled with the amount of insurance that I 'm paying on it also !.( see several threads up)
  • blackrtblackrt Member Posts: 2
    Yes it is a Boston Acoustics system and it sounds great. It can be a little bass heavy, but I'd rather have too much in that area than not enough.
    What I'd really like is the SRT-8 version in black or red, it is by far the coolest looking of the Chargers (new and old in my opinion)...combine it's looks with a 425 hp hemi, sport tuned suspension, upgraded brakes, and all I can say is

*drool*

Hope I can scrounge up the money for this bad boy :D
    I wouldn't mind having one of those myself !!

On the other hand I don't think I would be paying $588. a year insurance on that monster !!
    i dont think bmw 3 series is better than charger in any means except for the interior, but interior is not everything.
    performance wise charger r/t kicks [non-permissible content removed] of 3 series and may be even 5 series (in terms of power) and all bmws look alike whats the big deal this car looks different than thousands of cars on road. i am very happy with my charger R/T even interms of milage which averages around 18.0
    you cannot ask more for what you pay for 32K fully loaded with GPS moonroof bluetooth all power and the main thing 340 horses enough legroom and trunk area.
    try to get that with a bmw at that price.
    lol you might be able to get a bmw at that price...one that is like 20 years old and falling apart =P
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    So you are betting there will not be produced a Charger by 2008 ? and I bet your BMW 330i will not last that long before giving you BIG HEADACHES , do you want to bet??
    If you think Chrysler is not giving you quality, give your BMW a very CLOSE look at it, any time the Charger is by far a much better car.
    You bought the BMW because you didn´t get the deal you wanted, so maybe you bought the BMW just because.
    You´ll always see from now on a Charger or a 300C in front of you, sorry my friend you made a terrible mistake.
  • knightmare65knightmare65 Member Posts: 20
    You bought your R/T for $28,500? I paid that much for my fully loaded SXT. Either you are a very good negotiator or they are selling cheap where you live. In Md., the R/T's are in the low $30K's. I've seen them has high as $38K. The only colors I have seen the R/T in so far is; red, black, silver, and dark silver. Don't like those colors on a car anyway.
    My R/T is the base model. Sticker was $29995.
  • robviarobvia Member Posts: 19
    The 330i is a fan favorite, no doubt about it. But what I've heard, is the dealers expect everyone to "not care" about paying for maintenance since "you can afford it." In a way, it's a "snob" car.
    The thing that will keep people away from the Charger is rising gas prices. I was interested, but don't know what I'm going to do now.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    The pricing on this vehicle was just announced at $35,999. Yeah, you won't get it for that now, but if you can wait a year for the glow to wear thin, you should be able to get it for MSRP or less. Especially with gas prices going so high.
  • aab4aab4 Member Posts: 39
    "i dont think bmw 3 series is better than charger in any means except for the interior, but interior is not everything"

Are you kidding????

BMW 3 will out handle Charger including SRT hands down.

Charger is not in same league. Throw a charger into a S curve at high speed,
    And you will not have a secure feeling.

Price yes, handling no way.

I drove the Daytona, which has the improved handling package, and was not impressed.

Test drive the new 3 series, it’s not even close.
    BMW is the standard, every one else is still trying to catch up.
    DID U DRIVE A CHARGER ON A CURVY ROADS ASK ME AS I DID AND I DIDNT FEEL MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE, DEFINETLY BMW MIGHT HAVE BETTER HANDLING SO THAT DOESNT MEAN ITS A STANDARD THAT EVERY CAR HAS TO FOLLOW.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    "It was a little unfair because they compared an automatic Charger to a manual Mustang, but the Mustang blew the Charger away"

Maybe Charger should make a manual then!
    I guess you don't know how to drive well, aab4, because I drive my Charger into sharp turns and exit ramps without any handling problems. You stick with your overpriced Beemer, while I will drive in style in my Charger. Beemers are ugly anyways.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're not here to talk about BMWs, and we're not here to talk about each other. Let's stick to the Charger and keep the personal comments out of here.

If anyone is seriously interested in comparing a 3-Series to the Charger, the place to do that is over on our Comparisons board.

Thanks.
  • hercherc Member Posts: 8
    Hi Folks, new to this forum. Just wanted to toss in my two cents. I picked up my GoMango! Daytona just this past Monday. All I can say is "Wow!" More on that in a minute.

Saw the comments on pricing. A lot of people are coming to Michigan to get Chargers at a decent price. Saw a guy on the news who came from California to get his. I got the Daytona for MSRP less a $500 rebate. Regular RTs are going for a little less than MSRP (about $300 less around here before the $500), and the SXTs and SEs a little more than that under. I'm not complaining. Also looked at Mustangs but everyone wants $5k - $10k over MSRP...I don't think so Tim. Be aware that some dealers are kind of being tight lipped about the Charger $500 rebate and Chrysler isn't screaming it either. Back to the car.

It’s been a great car to drive. Absolutely great. Everything is right including the exhaust note. If anyone ever asks if it’s worth getting the Daytona, or a regular RT with the Road and Track package the answer is simply “Yes.” The most glaring differences are that the Road and Track suspension really settles the car down. One thing I was worried about was that the regular RTs tended to have a little of that “big car float” sometimes. The R&T suspension eliminates that without being too harsh on bumps. The other reason to go with this package is the 9 land steering. WAY better than the regular RT. The regular RT had steering that just about felt like an old muscle car, that is to say over assisted and not much road feedback. The steering with the Daytona and R&T package is about perfect. Not hard to turn, and not like the really bad parts of the old days. The last couple of reasons are the brakes and nivomats but lawdy! lawdy! that exhaust note is nice!

I’ve been pretty easy on it and so far I’m getting about 16.7 mpg around town. Pretty close to what the sticker says and my experience is they get a smidge better after they’re broken in a bit. I’m sure if I kept my foot in it the mpg would drop like a rock. Anyway, so far it’s a hoot and I can't go anywhere without getting a thumbs up or being asked lots of questions. This is truly a great car.

Saw the BMW comments. I've had a 3 series. Great car too. Yeah, handles a little better than the RT with the R&T package, but not that much. Motorweek and MT validated that in their tests. They are both great cars in their own way.
  • bhurtnbhurtn Member Posts: 2
    Mustang: 300 HP 300lb Torque

R/T: 340 390 lbs of Torque

It's a damn good thing the GT weighs less.....Ha? NUFF SAID.
  • bhurtnbhurtn Member Posts: 2
    Blew away? Sorry Cowboy, not possible unless grandma was driving: Understood the Mustang is lighter, but how can you argue w/ 40 More Horses under the Hood? .....there really is no argument there.

I wouldn't buy the GT just for that reason
  • robviarobvia Member Posts: 19
    I've been looking to buy the Charger SXT with a few options, which would save gas since it's a V6.

So today we (wife and I) had our Dakota pickup truck at the dealer (Monarch Dodge in Lauderdale Lakes FL) for some repairs they fixed under warranty. When we went back, I decided we'd introduce ourselves to the fleet manager (Jeffrey Fair).
    We mentioned the name of the fleet manager we bought our truck from 5 years go (he moved back to Virginia), had some chit/chat, and Jeffrey say's he'll sell us the car for $100 over invoice. I'm thinking to myself, what? He told us two other dealers have moved into the area, and they have to sell a certain amount of cars to win. Turns out Jeffrey is the internet person too. So he goes into the order system, builds the car, and gives us the paper. Besides the 18" wheel option (slightly higher), his numbers match the Edmunds numbers exactly. They have two South Florida fees for a couple hundred bucks (I'll have to see what they are), and then the destination charge. He said all I have to add is tax and a license fee. I said Dealer Fee? Advertising Fee? He said no.

I'm about 99.9% sure I'll order next weekend and hope it turns out good. I felt like I was in the twilight zone or something. It can't be this easy to order a car.
    Dealership here in Annapolis has a Daytona in the lot with almost every option in for $37K. Looks sweet, but I am curious about how one would wax the car due to the huge stickers on the hood and the rear quarters. Is it OK to wax the sticker or do you have to be careful waxing the car. Also, how would one maintain the sticker on the hood so it doesn't peel off?
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    After all, power to weight ratios really don't mean that much LOL.
  • pumpkinfishpumpkinfish Member Posts: 61
    Even If it is good vinyl (I haven't seen a Daytona in person yet), it will peel eventually and there is nothing you can do. I think a lot has to deal with climate, care and quality of materials. The best thing to do is have it painted on in matte black, but that will cost some $$$
  • bdowningbdowning Member Posts: 1
    My Dodge dealer told me that it is condensation build-up. It appears to be an oily substance. The body guy said he could use some type of armor all to clean it and that should take care of the problem. I see that as a cover-up. Any suggestions?
  • bmanningbmanning Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a black 2006 Dodge Charger RT. Two days later I washed vehicle and saw spots in several locations. Dealer said it was environmental fallout. They buffed 4 layers of clear coat off and there still are spots. The service manager said it was caused by acid rain. They want to repaint vehicle. I want the vehicle replaced not repainted. Will I be able to do this?
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    The very same thing happened to me when I bought a brand new ChevroletSS "balck" pickup truck. It ended up they had to repaint the whole hood after sevral attempts to buff out the spots. It all turned out O.K. I doubt if you will get a new Charger!!!
  • hercherc Member Posts: 8
    knightmare65,

I own a Daytona and waxing is not a problem as long as you use an advanced wax such as S100 pure carnuba or something like Turtlewax's brand new advanced wax. These waxes do not leave residue (especially the S100 brand) and easily wipe off of surfaces such as decals or matte painted surfaces. Simply washing the decal or using a vinyl treatment works fine.

Also, these decals do not "peel off." Even if you go back to the muscle car days when things were less advanced it took quite a number of years before the decals/graphics even started to look bad. I've had old muscle cars so this is from experience. Even after 15 years the decals might crack but they almost never peeled especially if the car was taken care of. Even the giant flame spitting Firechicken decals on the hoods of mid-70s Firebirds lasted a very long time. If the car is garage kept the hood decal should easily last 15 - 20 years. Weather extremes such as sitting outside in the deep south heat or in sub-freezing temps can cause fading or cracking to happen sooner, but once again if it's taken care of it's not something to worry about. The Daytona is great and if I had a dollar for every thumbs up I get ..........well you know.

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.