Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    I found this picture of the lexus lf-c on the internet on google image search. This is a beautiful car and a pic that i have not yet seen of the LF-C because the grille in this picture is different than the other pictures of the LF-C. This model will easily make it to the showrooms and should be a smash hit! I hope they do not alter the body style very much.

Here's another pic. GORGEOUS!!!

• lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    It definitely makes the SC430 look awfully plain by comparison. The drawing in particular is striking.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    I am a strong believer that if you add more choices of colours to the leather in the IS that people will better individualize their cars and make them more unique hence, another reason to buy an IS; for the exclusivity of having the car; most people may not have the same configuration as you (well at least that you may know of :) ). I say having 5-6 tones of leather would be ideal. I am thinking tan, grey, black, brown, cherry like in the SC 430 Pebble Beach Edition (Black on Cherry), and finally a saddle tan like in the SC 430 and LS 430. This may be a good thing to market and why should this cost/hurt the manufacturer all that much? Any other suggestions? Does anybody out there care? lol

I'm enjoying posting these pictures :)

• drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    On a SC430, it is reasonable to have a low volume car offer more individualized options and colors.

If the IS is supposed to sell 40-50k a year, i wouldn't wait for 6 different colors in the interior.

That LF-C may become THE car, based on Lexus' track record. Lexus' concepts are much more aggressive than their production cars, but that is common with all makers. Lexus says they will start putting more into their new car's designs, so this is a good place to start.

DrFill
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    I hope it looks better than those pics. Looks way too much like a Honda S2000 to me.

M
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    shrug...to me I see not enough doors, a hood that's too long and no passenger/trunk space. to each his own.
    I think the IS drop-top will at least be the start of a real change-course from Lexus. Just as the G coupe is a little more daring than the G sedan, I'd really like to see Lexus go all out with the IS drop-top and make a *gasp* sexy car with an L badge on it. Make it the spiritual successor to the '92 SC400 coupe, since the SC430 definitely wasnt.
    that'd be nice. the old sc400/300s are still attractive cars!
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    So when will the new 2006 IS be available for orders??

Any ideas on prices?? IS 250 about 35.000$ with options and 350 about 40+??

I keep on hearing that the new IS will be arriving in Spetember?? Is this true?

I cant decide whether to buy the Acura TL or wait until September for the IS. The IS looks really really nice and i believe even nicer than the new GS.??
    I even think it looks much more sportier and classier.

Anybody think the same??
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I imagine that the IS will be pricier than the Acura TL. I am looking to replace my TL and it will be one of the contenders.
  • rotoryfanrotoryfan Member Posts: 111
    Do you know what updates will be on the '06 TL (any features to trickle down from the new RL?) - you might want to wait just to see what will be on the new TL - I think that would be a truer TL-IS comparision. Is the characteristics of front (TL) or rear wheel (IS) drive important to you?

I think it is hard to judge a car from just pictures...seeing the IS would be mandatory for me before a decision.

Based on what I have seen, the IS250 will be about the same price as current IS300, and the IS350 can push the 40K range. Arriving in probably late Sep/early Oct...

If your situation allows...maybe it would be smarter to wait a couple of months and at least read the reviews? Good luck with your decision.
  • rb1rb1 Member Posts: 11
    As with everyone else who's been reading and posting this 2006 Lexus IS link, I too am extremely curious about the pricing of the new Lexus IS, me more so curious about both the sedan coming in 05 for 06 and also the coupe coming in 06 for 07. First off, I'm sure that our feedback (consumers) on such sites as edmunds will be directly or indirectly be getting to Lexus in one form or another. So discussions about manual transmissions and pricing will be looked at from resources such as edmunds (that's with my assumption that Lexus/Toyota is going to play smart). I'm thinking that the IS250 will be priced the same if not higher than the current IS300. Even though horsepower numbers might be flat to down, there are tremendous improvements both inside and out. Plus if you add any reasonable options, I'm thinking that we're looking at $34k-$347k for a reasonably equipped IS250. With the IS350, its really tough to tell where they're going to start pricing. The new GS430 base price is about $9k more than the GS300 base price. I'm thinking that the IS350 will come in $5-$7k more than the IS250. With any reasonable options, your looking at a car priced in the low to mid $40k. However, that would price the Lexus above all of its competition (i.e. Acura TL, Infiniti G, Cadillac CTS, etc.) That would be comparably priced against the Audi A4, MBZ C350, and the BMW 330i, but I think the car will only be successful if they come in below these german brands. When I then think about the IS coupe, I'm afraid we're looking at a $50k plus coupe.

I'm hopeful that I'm way off, but I highly doubt it. We have to consider a completely redesigned vehicle and the improved Lexus brand. Again, I hope I'm wrong because I'd love to get my hands on either the coupe or sedan, obviously gotta drive it though. But from what I see, it should kill the dull looking 06 330i
    I havent heard anything about any significant changes to the TL for '06. The car hasnt been on the market for very long, and is selling well, so I dont see a reason for Acura to bother when they definitely have other cars that are more in need of work.

I would definitely suggest waiting to try the new IS. Also, have you considered the G35? It has two things the IS wont at least in its initial year, AWD or a 6 speed manual with the 3.5L engine (but not both at once). The IS will also be smaller than the G and TL, if thats an issue at all.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It isn't as if anyone can buy the car before the pricing is released, so why guess and speculate?
  • cybersolcybersol Member Posts: 91
    If there is no guessing and speculation, then why have a forum for a future car at all :P
    my guess, based on TL and G35 prices, is $30-35 for the IS250, and maybe $36-42 for IS350. A loaded G35 goes for around $38, and the IS350 will definitely cost more than the Infiniti, if M and GS are anything to go by. The IS350 should still come in below the Germans, but not nearly as much as the Acura and Infiniti.
  • tdiddytdiddy Member Posts: 5
    any thoughts on the headroom? I don't fit in the Infiniti sedan, or the new GS because of the sight lines. BMW 3 series (old one) is doable but not exactly comfortable, I don't want to wait until the fall just to see the car is just too small.

Are there any other tall people out there in the luxuary sedan market?? I feel too young (21) for a family sedan but I don't want a SUV
    over $35k.

The Premium pkg and Roof SHOULD BE enough.

If I had a choice of getting Nav, or paying less than $35k for the G, I'd take the better-value price.

DrFill
    When I drove an '05 G35x, the salesman told me $36 for everything but nav, which would be $38.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I disagree that it takes a lot to get a G35 over $35K MSRP. With popular equipment, most are above that mark. Looking at the inventory of the most local dealer to my home, only 16 of the 64 G35s in inventory are under $35K.

~alpha
    Yeah but off the bat every G35 can be purchased for thousands off sticket. you don't even have to try.
    But of the options Edmunds list, the only ones I'd want are the Prem Pkg., and roof. That's a shade under $35k.

Anything else is Froo-froo.

To each their own.

I heard the IS250 will be 201HP and 184 lb.ft. of torque. :cry: :confuse:

That ain't gittin' it, my friends.

DrFill
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    200 hp will easily get mid 7's to 60 and a 130+ top speed. If that don't git it for most folk, that's why they make the 350. The 250 is all I need with my lead foot. That's why I sold all my sports cars. I can't drive 75 let alone 55.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    the 250 is still going to be way faster than most people can use, or really "need" (maybe not want though!)

Especailly with the manual tranny that everyone here insists they are going to buy, it should have plenty of real world performance.

I think it is more fun to drive a modestly powered manual tranny car, since you actually have a change to wind it out, and use the gears. That is, you actually have to drive the damn thing!

SOme cars today (think AMG) are so overpowered, that they have to dumb them down just to keep them on the road.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Apparently, based on internet forums, the IS will be released in Japan in July (Sep/Oct for the states, as most are aware) and test drives are starting to show up in Japanese car mags.

(Also, the colors shown in the article(s) look like the GS color spectrum.)

Cheers
  • is3ooguyis3ooguy Member Posts: 68
    Any links to those articles? It's easy to have the pages translated even if they aren't in english....thanks
    ps. i'm currently debating ordering an 330i manual the way I want it or holding out for an IS350. I just can't seem to make my mind up on it. So many +/- to weight either way I go....
    Lexus:
    1) +2 1/2 years into my lease and NO problems; not even the smallest thing
    2) +Brake dust or lack there of. Makes my rims look and stay looking good.
    3) +over 300hp on the new one
    4) - auto only in IS350
    BMW:
    1) +Manual
    2) -Brake dust; Lots of it. Want a pain in the... I'm aware of switching them for a third party pad but no thanks, BMW pays the tab on them if I don't touch them for 4yrs or 80k
    3) +That special BMW feel you get through the steering wheel. Is it still really there? Or am I just mind washed?

:confuse:
    I don't think I am supposed to put links up here...if you search you will find it.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Links are ok if they don't lead to a forum.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~savvus/IS500.jpg

Looks like Lexus is serious about the IS500. Man oh man. The IS350 will feel "underpowered" compared to this. Looks like it will be worth the wait.

P.S. Anybody wants to guess if this car will come with a manual tranny ? :P
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    not a chance.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    There is no secret that Lexus is working on a M fighter based on the IS platform. If it is 500HP, it will be the same car as shown as concept in Detroit autoshow then. But that thing cost a lot more than M3, so I doubt the IS super sport version will have 500HP. But counting the Hybrid motor, it is not so difficult for Toyota offer high output vehicle.
    Translated from an article in a Japanese car mag:

The new Lexus IS (formally Altezza) was first announced in Japan on April 18th. The place is Fuji Speedway in Shizuoka. The car is equipped with either a 2.5L or 3.5L engine, containing more than 300 horsepower. Numerous reporters came to inquire about the driver's personal experience with the new car. The car was driven by a professional driver with the reporter inside.

(While an official statement was unavailable, it has been generally believed that Toyota felt that they did not make a good car with the new IS, because it differs so much from a typical Toyota.) As far as a professional driver is concerned, the current Toyota Altezza was too soft and smooth, making it unsatisfying to a professional driver. However, the new IS is different.

Although I was only riding in the passenger's seat, there isn't just one word that could sufficiently describe the experience. From the moment I left the Fuji Speedway pit at full speed, I could immediately feel the full force of the acceleration. The meter instantly shot up to 120kph and I was instantly forced back into my seat. Rushing into the first corner, the driver applied the brakes and started his sharp turn. While it was only about 70kph, I could feel the blood rushing up the left side of my head from the tremendous Gs.

Next he did lane changes. Numerous cones were set up in the middle of the road, requiring quick reflexes with the steering wheel to avoid. The car's speed stayed constant the entire time. The driver performed sharp turns consistently at 140kph, instantly tossing my body left and right. A car can’t be considered to have ran the Fuji Speedway if it didn't try to do a high speed turn around a corner at 160 kph. The car swerved greatly and during that time I thought that we would flip over and spin out. But the car held tightly to the ground and easily recovered. Then the driver accelerated the car up to 180kph. This time he fully applied the brakes− I felt as if I would fly out of my seat, but the car came to a smooth stop. After that the car was driven around the track a few more times to test out its performance and then taken to the pit.

If I could, I would have taken that car and drove it at full acceleration all the way home. In any case, I don't think there has ever been another Toyota like it. In fact, not only meets the current number one sedan today, the Honda Legend (Acura RL), I believe it most likely exceeds it.
    Whoopty freaking do.

We'll see when the car comes out. This sounds more like the reviewer didn't know jack about cars (especially proclaiming the RL as top of the pile).
    The writer was a reporter - his background was not given - just observing a run around the track.

Good to have you in the forum, since you know everything about cars.
    It is a little strange that he would compare it to a Legend which is a completely different kind of car. No mention of the Skyline sedan or even Toyota's own Mark X.
    I don't care if he's a reporter...the text comes across as if a run to 180 kph and back to 0 is impressive. It's all seat of the pants experiences from a freaking passenger. If he'd driven it, then there is something in the text. but a passenger? good lord.
    Just one data point...one reporter...one article...one translation from Japanese.

bluedot - don't go into vapor lock over it.
    Not keen on reporters to begin with. Even less keen on them when they come across like nervous nellies - like the idiots who do reviews for carpoint or the tools from consumer reports.

Sorry, I guess I'm just itching for a real review of the IS350 by a real car lover.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    He's just giving us information that we'd jump at the chance to read, even if it's largely useless...

But yeah, the article doesn't tell me much. There have been fun Toyotas in the past, and also, and exciting ride could apply to any car with decent power and grip. Makes me curious about the Honda Legend's place in Japan though.

Hopefully more come out soon
    I think the "real reviews" would come when the car actually hits the market. Which should be about 3 months from now. Now that the 400 Hp "Super IS" is on its way ( too bad not for MY 06 ), I think those who want a real M3 fighter would want to wait. I can't wait to see the performance specs on the IS 500.
    IS500 is still a myth. Just like the always mentioned though never seen IS430.
    Its not quite the same. Reports about the IS500 being caught testing are all over the world. The IS430 was a tuner project, not done by Toyota themselves. After driving it, Lexus USA asked Japan about doing one, and they said no. It makes sense, the IS\Altezza was at the end of its lifespan by that point. An IS430 in 2002? Yes. 2005, no.
    We'll see. I don't expect Lexus will do it. They're not really a performance oriented company.
    We'll see. I don't expect Lexus will do it. They're not really a performance oriented company

That might have been true in the past but things have changed. Lexus is serious about taking on BMW M and MB AMG. Toyota has virtually unlimited cash and building the IS 500 wouldn't really be a big deal. Even the Avalon now packs 280 Hp. I am almost 80% certain this car or something very similar will make it into production
    That might have been true in the past but things have changed. Lexus is serious about taking on BMW M and MB AMG.

No evidence of this exists thus far. The GS300 for all the hype has turned out to be severely limited by toyota's safety systems

Toyota has virtually unlimited cash and building the IS 500 wouldn't really be a big deal. Even the Avalon now packs 280 Hp. I am almost 80% certain this car or something very similar will make it into production

If building the IS500 won't be a big deal and they have so much cash...why the omission of the (hate to mention it) manual in the IS350? Obviously bean counters rule the day at Toyota (part of the reason for all that cash).

I'm merely pointing out the elephant in the room. Lexus has cash but as we've seen, they're reluctant to take any changes. This could change...but so far no evidence exists to support the idea Lexus has deviated from their relentless pursuit of blandness.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    "This could change...but so far no evidence exists to support the idea Lexus has deviated from their relentless pursuit of blandness. "

What is the Lexus LF-A concept then??? It has been caught during high speed testing, so it's quite obvious the LF-A is not just a shell of a car with no engine underneath.

I still don't believe the IS500 will come at this point in time. But you never know.
    What is the Lexus LF-A concept then???

Uh, is this a trick question? It's called a concept car.

It has been caught during high speed testing, so it's quite obvious the LF-A is not just a shell of a car with no engine underneath.

Toyota's also tested new variations on the supra for about a decade. Still haven't seen a new one here. :confuse:
    http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View?u=4291134&a=31680569&p=71748186&Sequence=0&res=high

For those who may not have seen this photo - at the track - in GREEN.
    It definitely wont be here in '06, and most likely not '07 either. The new V8 will need to debut in the LS and GS first. After that, who knows? Maybe in '08, along with maybe an SC460\500?