Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    some u-bolts, a drill, and some pvc pipe will work.

OR, do like the above post says, with the board, and then you can just pop the whole thing on and off.

OR, why not just throw them in the back like I do?
    If you are going to be doing a lot of this, you should consider OBA (OnBoardAir).

You can either make your own, or buy one.

A lot of people use the air conditioner compressor for the pump.
  • lvcheflvchef Member Posts: 52
    What is Gilly's????
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Man, I forgot how long you were away from us here.

Gill's is a Jeep web site that is noncommercial. There are no banners or pop ups or any of that stuff to bother ya. It has a photo gallery, a bulletin board (hardly used at all), and best of all, a chat room.

A bunch of us here in Wrangler go to Gill's to chat and to post pics.

Here's the link... http://itsajeep.org

Note, there is no "www" in the URL.

The best time to catch some of us in the chat room is from about 8 PM to 10 PM Central Time. That would be 6 to 8 your time.

Try it sometime!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?

P.S. The site had a major crash, and Gill is working on restoring it. The chat room is back up and running, but many of the pics that were posted in the photo gallery are lost and will have to be reposted.

Tsjay

Cool, I'll check it out!!!!
  • wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    i took a look at all the photos you put up looked good . in one of then i coukd almost see you. did you ever try to see the taillights again ? s.w.b. way down at the end.
    Yeah, those tail lights look good. I found your post. Is the idea of those things to keep from breaking your tail lights, since the stock ones stick out like they do? Or is just for "looks?" Both, maybe?

Man, this sucks! It's Saturday, and I have been unable to find anyone to wheel with at TB this weekend! :( I don't want to drive all the way down there and take a chance on not finding any other Jeeps. That has happened to me sevral times.

Oh well. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Tom

OK, for those of us who had our pics hosted in Gill's photo gallery and then posted them here in the Jeep Owners Photo Gallery, we are going to have to wait until Gill gets his site squared away and then repost the pics there.

I have a pic hosted elsewhere, and I just posted it here in the Jeep Owners Photo Gallery, if anyone is interested. It's a pic of Thelma Jane in a gully at Turkey Bay. She's doin' a little flexin' in the picture.

Hey, Steve, any chance of Edmunds hosting pics? Heck, I would pay a reasonable fee for the service, and I'll bet others would too. I would only be interested if the site allowed direct linking, so that the pic would appear on other web sites when linked to the Edmunds hosting site, though.

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The last time the pic hosting idea was brought up (over a year ago, now), the feedback was that it was way too expensive. Remember we have over 1.5 million posts here, and text takes up a lot less room than a photo. You may be stuck with the album sites for linking to your photos (I think it's a great idea myself!).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I don't remember it being brought up before. How much was it gonna cost? Was it gonna be so that direct links were allowed? If I pay a fee for the service, then I expect to be able to use it to post pics in other web sites.

Tom

It wasn't brought up on here, but at some host's meetings. Never got the gritty details.

Some pic posting sites were listed in this post (some links may have died):

steve_ "Toyota Sequoia" Apr 11, 2001 10:14am

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    i did it for the look but they will be out of the way on the trail. i never go wheeling with anyone [well sometimes there is someone] i just bring a helper. like i ever need him .
    Unfortunately nothing works but the chat room. It is working fine, though, and that's the most important part for all of us who love to congregate there and talk Jeep.

Gill bought some new software for the gallery, so there is no longer any doubt that we will have to repost our pics. He is still working out the bugs in the new software for the gallery, so we can't repost our pics yet.

Hopefully, Gill will get everything squared away soon. Poor old Gill has had a rough time with that site, and I hope we will all express our gratitude to him when we chat with him. No telling how many hours he has spent on that site, and no telling how much money he has spent on the software, all out of his own pocket, since he has no sponsors and no advertising.

We owe him a lot!

Tom

• pal7pal7 Member Posts: 5
    I've got the opportunity(?) to buy a used 97 AT 4 cyl. 4wd black wrangler hard top, with 71k miles. Needs front left fender work, new Driver side mirror, and brakes. Asking $5500. Any thoughts out there. How's the AT with 4wd? I'll be doing primarily Off-roading and will leave jeep at camp area. Should I be concerned about replacing exhaust manifold. If so, how much should I expect to pay in SF bay area?

Thanks
    Hey, you know how it goes with used vehicles... the price is extremely dependent on the mileage and condition of the vehicle.

Look it up in the price guide here in Edmunds and give it the proper rating for condition, taking into account the body damage, and see what ya come up with.

As far as the auto tranny, since you will use the Jeep almost exclusively for wheeling, or at least that's the impression I got from your post, then the auto should be OK. If you would be on the highway much with it, then I would have advised against the auto tranny with the four cylinder engine due to lack of power.

Just be careful about getting water in that auto. I think I have read posts where people say that autos are more susceptible to getting water in them because their vent hoses are not extended high enough for doing much playing in water. (I think this can be fixed, though) And, of course, when you mess up an auto tranny, you are talkin much more money than for a manual.

Hope you make the right decision here. Good luck.

Tom

Tluke, we gotta repost our pics now, so they will show up here in the Edmunds gallery again.

I think we'll have to delete our old posts entirely in the Edmunds gallery and start over.

Anyone else that had pics hosted in Gill's will need to repost also.

Tom

Just for your info, with the new photo gallery software, no one has to set up a photo account for you. You register on the Bulletin Board first, and then you log in to the photo gallery using the same username and password that you set up in the Bulletin Board.

After logging in at the gallery, go to "administer albums." You should figure out what you need to do from there.

Tom

the at with the 2.5 sucks i would not go there. it will only go like 55 on the hwy . i've drove one that was new.
    I owned a 2.5l Wrangler, but it was a 5 speed. I got rid of it due to it's lack of power. If you are driving into the wind and trying to stay at 60 mph, good luck! You almost have zero power. I traded up to get a 4.0l 6 cylinder. What a difference!! I would really think about it before I bought a 2.5l jeep. Look around, you will find a good price on a 4.0 . My advice to you is go to a Jeep Dealer and test drive a new 2.5l then try the 4.0. You will make your mind up very quickly which one is right for you and your driving habits. Simply the 2.5 l Jeep is powerless off roading and driving at highway speeds, trust me I owned one...

Sorry if I offended anyone who has a 4 cylinder Jeep, but I had one and what I said is true....

Culinary Regards,
    Richard
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I have a '98 and finally got around to replacing the exhaust manifold this spring, when it needed to pass the smog test. It ended up costing me around $800.00 to replace it in Bakersfield - so I wouldn't expect it to be any cheaper in the Bay area. You might save money by going after market, rather than buying one from the dealership (which is what the mechanic I went to did). People on this board have been quoted higher prices, some lower.
  • dgriff3466dgriff3466 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have a 2002 or 2003 gray wrangler?
    I have seen a few on the road but Jeep does not list this color. PS: It is not any of the silver colors. It looked dard gray. I appreciate any help you guys could give.
    I think they call it khaki, but don't ask me why. It looks grey to me. I thought khaki was supposed to be tan.

I really like the color, but I sure don't know where they came up with khaki for the name of it.

Tom

My buddy has a Greyish Silver Jeep called an Apex. It has orange pleather seats,"Special Apex Decals" and chrome rims. It is some sort of Jeep Special Package. Where does Jeep come up w/ these combinations?
    I have a questions for you? At the end of all your posts it says your name then "Have you huged your Jeep today?" Do you type that in every post or is it set up to automatically add that to your posts?? If it is set automatically how do you do it?? Please advise...
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Ivchef, while I fully concur that the 2.5 is pretty gutless on-road, I have to disagree with you that the same can be said of its off-road performance.
    Unless you're going to the ultimate extremes of rockcrawling or mudbogging, the 2.5 in low range will be more than adequate.
    Those tag line signatures can be done with a keyboard macro program, most of which are shareware and easily downloadable. I use one for my host signature. We actually don't encourage their use, since they take up space and tend to interrupt the flow of talk and we'd prefer that you stick that stuff in your profile (sorry Tom ). Management required the hosts to have long ones but there's lobbying going on to skip them or shorten them now, something like this:

Steve, Host
    Heck, it has WAY more power than the original military jeeps.

Also, didn't the originator of the post say he was planning on not using it for much or any highway driving?
  • pal7pal7 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks folks for your input on the power of the AT2.5 jeep. I'm vacillating on how often I'll take it on-road so I'm inclined to think that I should opt for the 4.0. Thanks for your help everyone.
  • appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Guys,
    Well, we finally replaced the exhaust manifold on our '98. Like mtngal said, we drove it until we couldn't stand it anymore.

Thanks for everyones advice. We opted for a Borla Header (The million mile warranty cracks me up!). Figure we will get a Cat-back exhaust system when our original exhaust wears out, so we'll have a performance exhaust system.

Thought about Mopar, but decided that if it breaks once, chances were pretty good it was going to go again.

It may be an illusion, but it feels like it has more power. Price installed was a little over $800.00. Ordered the header direct from Borla, and had my local muffler shop throw it on.

Anyway, the wife is thrilled with it and hope I never have to replace it again!

Cam
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hey Jeepers Bama is still alive,
    Well took the soft top off tazz on sunday,
    While lowering my hardtop, I scratched my doors.
    Its not too bad, till you get right up on it.
    I used Maguires Scratch X. It helped but, its still there :(, Gonna try to buff it out later on.
    Has Anyone looked at or bought a RUBICON yet,
    My area dealers never have any on the lot.
    My local dealer in my hometown has gotten out of the sales business just doing parts now.
    And, of course I gave TAZZ a good bath & detail after I put the hard top back on.

KEEP JEEEPIN
    ROLL TIDE
    BAMA!
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    If your dealer is just doing parts now, what happens to the show you were shooting for next year? I had considered combining that with my back east trip to my parents.

Sorry to hear about the scratched doors. Did you nail both doors?

Still a happy camper.
  • gerald523gerald523 Member Posts: 2
    within the last 2 weeks while driving with the lights on, the check engine and air bag light have been flicking followed by the tach and speedo dropping to zero.
    stopping and restarting the engine seems to clear it but it has been happening about every 5-6 times driving but not consistently

Have checked battery connections and tightened

Any ideas?
    I just type my little "by-line" manually.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today? :)
  • sbspencesbspence Member Posts: 16
    I'm going to have to go against the grain here on the 2.5l auto. I'm on my second staright 2.5l Tj and have very few complaints about lacking power. The only time I've found it objectionable is when passing on a two lane hwy. When you're already running 50-60 and stomp it with the auto it just wants to shift back and forth or hold 2nd and bounce off the rev limiter. Other than that I love mine! I traded a 1999 2.5l manual in on my 01 Auto, and have not regretted it once. I ran/run 31" tires on both with the stock gearing, and have no problem keeping up with traffic on the hwy. It'll run 70-75 or more all day if I want it to...as long as I'm not bucking a 50MPH headwind! You just need to take one out drive it and decide for yourself, otherwise you'll be bombarded with the "2.5 sux" posts till the cows come home! ;)
  • sbspencesbspence Member Posts: 16
    This is a common problem among the Tjs (especially the 99s for some reason) DC has a TSB out on it that you can find or there are several links that will walk you through the fix.

http://www.jeepmadness.com/guages.htm

http://www.froadin.net/docs/TJinstrumentpanel.htm

Hope this helps...I had mine fixed on the TSB under warranty! ;)

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It's well known problem caused by corrosion of the connector on the back of the instrument panel, causing high resistance. You can fix it yourself by cleaning and tweaking each of the connector pins, then coating them with dielectric grease and reassembling. There's also a TSB for this which involves replacing the connector. I'll put it below for you.

TSB NUMBER: 08-15-99

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: May 21, 1999

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 08-20-98 REV. A, DATED OCTOBER 2, 1998, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES AND NOTED IN THE BOUND TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN BOOK, PUBLICATION NUMBER 81-699-99003. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION TO THE PROCEDURE.

SUBJECT:
    Erratic, Intermittent Cluster Operation/Intermittent Air Bag Warning light.

OVERVIEW:
    This bulletin involves installing a repair harness containing a revised instrument cluster connector.

MODELS:

1998 - 1999 (TJ) Wrangler
    1998 - 1999 (XJ) Cherokee

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
    Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent illumination of the air bag warning light or an intermittent tachometer or speedometer drop out. An Airbag Electronic Control Module (AECM) fault code - "No Cluster CCD BUS" message will be present.

DIAGNOSIS:
    Using the DRB III(R), read and record all active and stored fault codes in the AECM. This condition is caused by minor oxidation of the BUS circuit terminals at the instrument cluster connector. Electrical terminals will show signs of oxidation, which will appear as darkened lines or marks on the cluster male terminals. These often appear as gray or black marks rather than the appearance of oxidation or corrosion usually associated with higher current carrying circuits. This condition will set a "NO CLUSTER CCD BUS" message. The fault code will usually be stored and not active. THIS TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN WILL NOT ADDRESS FUEL OR OIL PRESSURE GAUGE ISSUES. If this fault code is present, either active or stored perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

1 05016261AA Cluster Connector Patch Harness
    1 04856975 Electric Contact Cleaner
    2 04778570 Heat Shrink Tubing
    POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

Labor Operation No: 08-90-90-91 0.6 Hrs.
    Hey! Did I miss some earlier posts of yours? I am getting senile in my old age, but I don't remember you. Forgive me if I have forgotten you, but if you ARE new, then WELCOME! :)

Sb, I think the 2.5 vs the 4.0 issue just boils down to the expectations of the individual as far as how much power they need/want.

As I said in an earlier post, on the trail the 2.5 will perform just fine in 4 low. I've seen the 2.5's go anywhere that the 4.0's go and not have a bit of trouble doing it.

I just like more power for the highway. I do a lot of driving on the pavement and even have to take occasional long trips in my Jeep. Heck, even with the 4.0, I wish I had a little more power for long, steep grades that cause me to downshift to fourth gear.

If I were going to be driving almost entirely in town and on the trail without much of any highway driving, I would not mind having the 2.5.

The gas mileage is almost identical for the two engines, so if the initial cost is something a guy can handle, then why not go for the 4.0?

That's the way I see it, but that is just my opinion. Would I still buy a Jeep if the only egine available was the 2.5? YOU BETCHA I WOULD!

Tom

Man, that sucks about your doors getting scratched. I know how particular you are about that Jeep.

In my earlier days, something like that would have caused me to have an ulcer or a stroke or something.

Well, now that you have a little scratch, does that mean you are ready to start wheelin'? :)

Tom

• gerald523gerald523 Member Posts: 2
    to all who responded to my question.

thanks for your help, you folks obviously enjoy this vehicle. This is our first Jeep, I had some experience with Jeeps in the Army but never got around to owning one - why did I wait so long ?

Thanks again
    I just got a chance to read the messages - everyone else said what I was going to about the dash lights. My '98 is affected by it but I haven't bothered doing anything about it. For some reason it is worse in colder weather, so I tend to forget it during the summer. One of these days I'll get it fixed.

I know what you mean about Wranglers. I also had fun playing with them courtesy of the US Army, but didn't actually buy one until '98. I still don't know why I waited! I love mine dearly (even with the problems like the dash lights and my rattling tailgate) and I plan on getting another one when I have to replace this one.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I had the same problem crop up several weeks ago. I first tried the "clean and twist the terminals" fix suggested on jeepmadness.com. No luck; in fact, the problem got worse. Soooo, I removed the cluster again. This time I unclipped the blue female terminal connector from the dash and removed the white plug from the blue connector(it just unclips and slides out). Next, I took some needle nose pliers and CAREFULLY squeezed each separate female terminal so that they tightly gripped the male cluster terminals. I haven't had any problems since that repair(knock on wood).
  • scottybballscottybball Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading your posts for quite a while. All information was very helpful. I recently purchased a 2002 with dual tops. I know in the past there were discussions on hard top storage.

What I am wondering what the best way is to store your hard top. I would like to hang it from the ceiling in the garage.

I have seen pictures of the Hoist-a-top. But does it put indentions where the 4 hooks are?

the video shows them setting it on 2x4's in the garage. But by doing this does it put undo stress on the sides? Because this does not appear to be the way the top is supported while on the Jeep.

Thank you for any help you can give me.
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    I went out this weekend to buy a Liberty and ended up with a '99 Wrangler. Basically I lucked into a sweet deal and have sacrificed the comfort of the KJ for the fun of a TJ. It's a shame that it is too late in the fall to take the top off.

Anyway, looking forward to learning more about my truck and hitting the trails before the snows come.
    Put it on some blocks out in back yard behind the shed. Right now it is covered with branches and acorns. I'll probably pull it out this weekend and clean it to put on soon. 3 nights in the 30's and it is starting to get cold!
    Hey, I LOVE this! New folks showing up like crazy in here!

WELCOME TO EACH OF YOU.

Please make yourselves at home here. Tell us a little about yourselves and your Jeeps. Unlike most other Jeep message boards, you won't get flamed here for posting things other than strictly technical questions or comments. We like to talk about just the pure enjoyment of Jeep ownership in here, and you don't have to be some hard core offroader to be accepted in this group. Heck, a good percentage of the regulars here don't even go offroad.

So, post up a storm, and tell us all about how much fun you are having with your Jeeps, whether on the pavement or on the trail.

Tom

Hey, you guys, since you are new, you may not know about a cool web site that a lot of us in here hang out at. If you have been lurking in here for a while, then you probably know about Gill's, but in case you don't, here's the deal...

Gill's is a private, noncommercial website for Jeep owners. It fills a niche that fits in nicely with our Edmunds home here in Wrangler.

Gill's has a chat room, so we can talk real time with fellow Jeepers. The chat room is most active from about 8 to 10 PM Central Time.

Gill also hosts photos in his gallery, so that you can upload pics to his gallery and then post them here in Edmunds Jeep Owners Photo Gallery by linking the pics to Gill's site.

So, here's what we do: we come here and read and post messages, and we check out the photo gallery. We go to Gill's to chat with each other and to post our pics in his gallery. Gill has a Bulletin Board also, but it doesn't get used much.

Gill does not charge for any of the services at his Gallery, and he allows no advertising, so you won't be bothered with banners or pop-up ads.

Try it!

http://itsajeep,org

Tom

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    TOAD>> Not really sure about the show now
    My dealer was gonna sponsor it, I guess it in limbo now, IM not giving up on it yet.
    TOM.Nope not yet..no wheelin for me..
    Actullay i dont know where I would find the time to go if i wanted too, I am gonna ask an area tecnical school that teaches automotive painting, see if they could do it for me. The instructer is a good customer.

SCOTTYBALL
    I have the hoist-a-top had it up since MARCH.
    works well.. just gotta be careful with it.
    plus you need a way of keeping the back window from staying open.
    I didnt have any indentions from the hooks.
    I guess the best thing about the hoist you can do it alone.

Keep Jeepin
    BAMA
  • jayorionjayorion Member Posts: 18
    My 90 YJ 5 speed seems very hard to shift all of a sudden. The clutch seems spongy for the first few inches when I depress it. Is that most likely an adjustment or do I need a new clutch? Also, anyone have an idea of how much a replacement will cost me with labor?

I just realized that even though I've driven sticks for years, I never owned one so I never had to replace a clutch.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jay
    I've never had to replace a clutch either, and I've owned a number of MT cars. In the past I used to trade them off before they ever got that old (always before 80,000 miles) but now I'm keeping them longer and longer, so I'd be interested in finding out what current costs might be. Wouldn't be surprised if I have to do something to the Taco before I have a problem with the Wrangler's clutch, though.
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I don't think the Wrangler have manual adjustments on the clutch, but it could be one of a few things:

1.) clutch is going out
    2.) you have a bad master cyl or slave cyl and have lost some clutch fluid
    3.) you have gotten air in the line (usually because of 2.)

Check to make sure your clutch master cyl is filled to the appropriate level with brake fluid. If not, add fluid and see if it continues to lose fluid somewhere. Be careful as brake fluid will destroy your paint if left on there after a spill, etc.

If the fluid level looks OK, try to pump the clutch a few times and see if it's easier to get into gear. If this happens, you may have to bleed the clutch hydrolics and possibly repair/replace either the master or slave cyl.

Let us know what you find and we may be able to point you in a better direction from there. If it's #2. or #3., definitely better to fix it sooner than later as a partially engaging clutch will quickly lead to #1.

HTH

-twylie