Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Seems to me that Lexus will try to inch closer in prices to the 3 series with the IS. I highly doubt there'll be even a 15% discount between base 325 and IS250. It all depends on what happens to be on dealer lots. The typical 330 on the lot for 42-44K can probably be had for 40K but the IS350 will be at sticker - whatever that may happen to be. IMO, most folks will shy away from the IS350 if it's within 1-2K of the 330.
    The IS350 has little bearing on the predicted 40K volume. The trick will be sway those mid 30K buyers away from TL, G35, CTS, lightly optioned 325s, A4s to the IS250. The pricing on the 250 is much more important for volume.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I think they used to have a 4 door version. AT also.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    e36 M3. Half the M3s they sold of the E36 were 4 door sedan versions. BMW decided the retooling for the E46 was too much for two versions so they only did the coupe M3. Bummer.
  • realty_prorealty_pro Member Posts: 85
    They will fly off the selves!
    Or does this look kinda like a Pontiac G6? Or even the Olds Alero?

Mind you I would never base a car purchase on a car's appearance. Just find the style sort of lacking.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    IS350

G6

Separated at birth?

I thought I posted that already. Ah well, I posted it a few other places too. Spooky, ain't it?
    That puppy is hott! Once again, the Japanese cars make the 3 series look rather plain.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Yeah, they're both cars. You can do this kind of comparison with many vehicles. Try comparing a side view of the Mercedes C class with a Camry. As the saying goes "similar but not same". The picture of the G6 is too dark to make a fair comparison.
    Whatever you say petl.

As I posted a few pages back, I had the IS page up on my box (the exterior colors page that has the car in straight profile), and my co-worker asked if I was really interested in a G6!

The similarities aren't at all surprising to me. The G6 is a blatant knock-off of current Japanese styling cues. I personally don't think it's ugly on the outside; quite the contrary (it's the mediocrity under the skin that repulses). The fact that the proportions are so close is interesting, especially considering the G6 is FWD and has the inherent long snout of a FWDer. I like shorter, snub-nosed overhangs myself. That may be the one thing about the new IS's looks I don't care for: the nose. I wonder if any of that length is dictated by the new Euro pedestrian safety standards?
    Maybe that's it - pedestrian safety.

BTW, for those who think I'm bagging, it was just an observation. Heck I think the 6 series looks like a Solara. Trust me Bimmer fans don't like hearing that. Shrug.
    Holy Moly! When I encountered a 645 for the first time, I came up on its six from a distance, and until I was close enough the read the badge, I was fully convinced I was looking at a very nice tuner job on an Eclipse. No lie.

Every thing the old 630 CSi was (as in styling icon), the new 6 is most definitely not. Still a nice car, of course...
  • hyperlitehyperlite Member Posts: 3
    Here is the pricing on the IS 250/350

2006 IS250 (base model)
    $ 27,585 - Manual - RWD
    $ 28,955 - Automatic - E-Shift - RWD
    $ 30,905 - Automatic - E-Shift - AWD

2006 IS350 (fully loaded)
    $ 42,475 - Automatic - E-shift - RWD
    2005.03.23-confirmed that it WON'T be fully loaded only! maybe 42k for fully loaded price)
  • toyotaf1fantoyotaf1fan Member Posts: 37
    I hope thats true. Where did you find this information? Any pricing on Packages?
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    ..exactly would you get this info? First off, I don't recall people in the Lexus-know-how to ever refer to the new 6 speed as an "e-shift". That is pre-06 IS. :confuse:
    assume that these numbers (if true) are sans destination, so that makes a base 6 speed 250 ~28.1K. WOnder how much extra to get a roof? Knowing Lexus, probably about 4K worth of other stuff I don't want or need.

But, if a nicely equipped IS250 with a moonroof can be had for a sticker of less than 30K, it will certainly get a look. About the cheapest 325i with what I consider the bare basics will be ~32K

• cooneycooney Member Posts: 9
    I'm surprised no one has responded to your inquiry about the Mercedes C350. While the BMW 330i and Infiniti G35 come up often in this thread, nothing is ever said about the Benz, which is pretty clearly in the same club. I plan to drive the C350 and the IS350 after the IS comes out. Car being replaced is a '95 M3, and as much as I love the way it performs, I really don't want to get another BMW -- way too much expensive shop time.

cooney
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    It's just my opinion. Again, if you look quickly they seem similar. If you look closely the lines are not the same. There front wheel on the IS is more centered than on the G6. It gives the appearance that the fenders and hood are longer on the IS. The front windshield looks shorter on the IS. The front and rear doors have totally different shapes (particularly the rear one). The back fender has a larger flare on the IS. The back end where the rear window is situated has a totally different slope. I'm sure if we could see them side by side the differences would be more evident (I don't think it's fair to compare pictures). This is just my opinion. If I ever mistake one for the other (once the IS is released), I will post an apology.
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    Well, of course I am 125 miles north of the Belmont event. Up here, we don't consider this "WAY upstate", we save that for Lake George and north (another 2 hours). :-)

Farther south - say Westchester, NJ, SE CT - population density probably keeps the road clear enough of snow for RWD and traction control in most situations - I agree with you there.
    I challenge anybody to tell me they look alike! :)

I hope people wouldn't confuse this:

with this:

Hey, anything can be compared, doesn't mean there is any sense in it!

There is function in the IS's design. Afterall, it didn't get its class leading Cd (coefficient of drag) by copying the G6 design (or any others for that matter). Same goes for the LS (there is a reason why the LS, which is said to have copied the S-class, has the lowest Cd and it didn't come by copying the S!).
    They look really similar to my eyes. Same front, same c-pillar to trunk. same slab sides. jsut plain bland looking car (mind you the only car in this class I think is moderately nice looking I'd never buy - A4).
  • g17g17 Member Posts: 45
    "Similar" was defined by the older rears on 325's and Civics of the 90's.....
    The more I look at the IS, the more I like it. That is one hot car. IMO, the styling, the performance, the luxury & the Lexus reliability gives the IS the edge over its competitors.
    That one is well-documented. The Civic tried very hard to ape BMW, to the point that I often couldn't tell the difference from behind.

True, the detailing is substanstially different between the IS and G6, but the proportions and shape are remarkably similar, and again, it surprises me because one is a FWDer, with all the design constraints associated. The only plausible reason for that I can come up with is the new European pedestrian safety regulations. Even Jag's new XK design was significantly impacted (so to speak) in the nose by the reg's. And not in a good way.

Styling is not a Japanese forte. It just isn't. The best results are had when a great benchmark is identified and knocked off. Toyota's 2000 GT and Datsun's immortal Z from Ferrari, the LS400 from Mercedes, etc., etc.

It's a nice-looking car, but that nose? Shorter is better where overhangs are concerned. Much.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    It does look similiar to a G6. I guess both are hot cars.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I really think the four-door Alero looks similar in profile.... much more than the G6...

But, then again... I need bifocals.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hah! And you call me old...

I tried (casually) to find a profile shot of a four-door Alero, but (thankfully?) I was not successful.
    ;-]
    .. I can prove it that you don't: :P
    This:

looks like this:

(I am kidding) :D

I would say that the IS is more rear-oriented and looks swept-back like it is in motion. The Alero and G both look very centered and neutral looking. That is just my opinion though. :confuse:
    Run AWAAAYYY!

No, the Alero seems further away, and for the reasons Mike offers. I still say the G6 profile is remarkably similar.

OTOH, we could just call it the tC350 I s'pose.
    }-]
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Yeah... pictures are funny.. If you saw them together, they wouldn't look anything alike.... The short front overhang of the IS (ala 3-series) makes it look much more aggressive... Of course, the Alero is FWD...

But, where I really see the resemblance is in the C-pillar and the way the rear door cuts into it.... That is a styling feature that always caught my eye on the four-door Alero (not in a good way), and it was the first thing I noticed about the IS..

I think the new IS will be great looking.... in the flesh.. Unlike some other people, I really liked the old one....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• hyperlitehyperlite Member Posts: 3
    The info is correct about the prices, I have no clue on the packages but I would guess they would be about the same price as years before. I'm not sure if it is called the E-Shift anymore but i am possitive on the pricing, I got them from a really good source!
    Honestly if you're on the money that'd make a decently outfitted 250 6mt about 30k. That's pretty impressive.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thing is, can you really walk in to a BMW dealership and get a 325i with ZERO options? If you want to pay the $31,575 base price you also only get three color choices (white, black, red), as the other 10 or so colors are another $600. If the prices posted above are correct, a very nicely equipped IS250 6MT should be $32 g's (including about 3-4k in options...).

~alpha
    Ditto BGDC... If you are right, hyperlite, then that would be a very appealing IS 250 with xenons, moonroof, ventilated leather, ML, and MT. Probably could get that for around 32Kish? The price is most definitely right!

There would be room for me then to do some aftermarket wheels, and engine mods, all at a lower-than-expected price. :D
  • legarlegar Member Posts: 71
    Hyperlite,

1st) Your Prices look like you stole them from another site which was already mentioned.

2nd) Those are Acura TSX Prices, a TSX has an I-4 and FWD. It wouldnt make any financial sense for Lexus to sell a RWD V6 compact luxury car for such low prices.
    hing is, can you really walk in to a BMW dealership and get a 325i with ZERO options? If you want to pay the $31,575 base price you also only get three color choices (white, black, red), as the other 10 or so colors are another $600. If the prices posted above are correct, a very nicely equipped IS250 6MT should be $32 g's (including about 3-4k in options...).

Yes, easily. you order it and do it ED and you'll save another 3-4k off sticker. Shrug. Why are you all so bothered by the VERY common notion of ordering a BMW?

2nd) Those are Acura TSX Prices, a TSX has an I-4 and FWD. It wouldnt make any financial sense for Lexus to sell a RWD V6 compact luxury car for such low prices.

That's a LOADED TSX with leather, xenons, moon, stability, etc.

And if lexus wants to lure people to the IS250 they better start it at sub 30k as the car has no standard features and a small engine vis-a-vis the competition: TL (258 hp, 32k loaded), G35 (31k starting, 298 hp).
  • billinsobebillinsobe Member Posts: 47
    Lexus.ca, the Canadian website, has been updated with new Lexus IS information. No pricing still. I would expect US updates soon.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    What do you mean "LOADED TSX with leather, xenons, moon, stability, etc."?

Acura offers two choices: with (or without) an automatic transmission; and with (or without) navigation. EVERY TSX has leather, xenons, moon, stability, etc.
    But ED isnt an option for everyone, some people can just get up and go to Germany for a week. I dont think people are bothered at all by the notion of ordering a BMW, I just dont think many have that liberty.

~alpha
    27k is a loaded tsx. You can pay 29k for the bling bling edition (navi) but in my eyes a TSX comes fully loaded for 27k.

Even if an IS250 starts at 27k it'll need 4-5k worth of options to match the content of a TSX.
    But ED isnt an option for everyone, some people can just get up and go to Germany for a week.

cough..bull...cough. I find it nigh impossible to believe someone who can afford an entry level lux car doesn't take vacations. Most people I know who do ED make a vacation of it and fly in, get their car and spend a few weeks wandering around europe. If one wants a commando-raid style, it's 3 days. Fly out saturday morning, land sunday, get up monday, get the car and fly home. Back at work Tuesday. 1 day off from work. People can't take a day off?! A day to save 3-4k? Come on people take sick days because they get drunk on sunday night. People take a day to sign loan docs for homes. One day is not insurmountable.

I dont think people are bothered at all by the notion of ordering a BMW, I just dont think many have that liberty.

Even without ED one can, and a large percentage do, order BMWs. That way they get the car they want. My bro-in-law got a 325i with sport and xenon - a very uncommon car on lots as it lacks the fou-fou premium, moonroof and cruddy steptronic. I was going to order but lucked into a 330i with the exact color, equipment options I sought (leather, moon, xenons, zhp).
    Why are there even BMW dealers here that have any inventory? Why isnt everyone just getting on the plane and going to the EU, saving 3-4 grand?

~alpha
    For the same reason why most BMW 3 owners drive AT too. ;)
    Amen to that. People are lazy and hedonistic. They want it now and they don't wanna put off satisfaction.

You guys ever been to Europe? Ever go to a car dealership there? Yeah, I'm weird (I was also working over there so I was living life not wandering like a tourist). most people order in europe. The dealer lots are small and they usually only have a 1-2, maybe 3 versions of each model. You don't buy an Audi or MB and drive it home the same day - usually.

Not sure about Japan but from what I've read, I believe car ordering is more common than buying off the lot too.
    one problem with ED is you have to be able to pay for the car 4-6 weeks+ before you get it. So, you need to have another car for that time.

And no, not everyone buying (or more likely leasing) a BMW can actually afford it!

And the savings do vary by model, plus you can negotiate a decent discount at the dealer on a normal delivery. And, you do have to pay for the Europe trip (i know Volvo throws in a plane ticket, but I thought BMW required you to pay for the whole trip).

But, if I ever got a BMW new, that's how I would do it.

• truckasaurustruckasaurus Member Posts: 44
    Yup, people normally order cars in Europe. I'm from Europe and can tell you thats true. When I ordered my first car in the US (a 323i) the dealer said most folks didn't order them and bought them off the lot. I was suprised as I was not used to that.
    well, I "ordered" a 525 a few years back. It isn't as much of an order as you pick a car from the allocation sheet (dealers are assigned a certain number of each type each month). basically, you pick one that can still be configured and do it up how you want it. The dealer then submits that unit as one of their allocation cars.

if a particular car isn't spoken for, it comes over in a standard configuration and becomes an in-stock unit.

So really all you are doing is picking the color and options for an allocated unit, and tagging your name onto it.

• waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    not the BMW ED thread?
    Just wondering...
    hehe
    if they would finally deliver the cars to the dealer so we can try them out, there might be something new to talk about!

I really don't know how/if you can order a Lexus, or if they have to do a locate (to the port or off of upcoming allocations). I bet it won't be too easy to get a strange combo in the IS (sport pack only w/o roof or leather for instance).

You pretty much are going to get it the way Lexus feels like building them, which is probably loaded.

Remember, Lexus is part of Toyota, and Toyota is famous for take it or leave it configurations.!