Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac DTS/STS vs. Chrysler 300/300C

2»

Comments

• bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    Owning both a 2006 DTS and 2005 Lincoln Town Car may I suggest that you try renting a Town Car next time, huge trunk very quiet excellent handling with rear wheel drive and significant improvements to the suspension in the 2003 models and after. Yes the 300C and DTS have higher power ratings but the T.C. makes up for a good part of that with a button on the shifter that downshifts into third gear effortlessly.
    The braking power in the transmission is much better in T.C. than DTS. The only down side to the T.C. is a little hessition in the downshifting when you floor the accelerator. Lincoln has moved T.C. to St. Thomas Canada plant and the 2008 T.C. is now in production. T.C. could use a little more power but for a great ride, good handling and huge trunk suggest you give it a try. I have never driven a 300C so can't offer a comparison. I was one of the
    people who suggested this forum and am still very interested. When I bought my present T.C. I told the local Chrysler dealer (is also a neighbor) that I would have loved to try a 300C but the Town car with extras such as sun roof and in dash CD stacker and under 17,000 miles was bought for a little over $23,000 where a similar 300C would have been around $36,000. My DTS was bought new and have had several electrical problems compared to my T.C. with the exception of one slightly loose door handle has been problem free.
  • dilldill Member Posts: 31
    I bought my DTS back in July 07. It was a Cadillac buy back car. The original owner had power steering, an electric seat problem and a broken ignition switch that had been broken on two different occasions one of those times was fixed by a tech according to the paperwork that couldn't fit the thing in the steering column and jammed the thing in there thereby breaking some of the sensors associated with it. The dealership is know as being a whore dealership that rapes customers but they are one of the few dealers in my area that sell buy back vehicles.

They sat me down and had paperwork documenting all the cars problems and all the repairs made on the vehicle. They told me about everything, showed me documentation, I had to read all the fine print that puts them in the clear showing that I'm fully aware I am buying a buy back. I was made aware that all repairs made to make the car 100% perfect in every way had been done by GM techs and that in the life of the car if these repairs happen again, they are covered 100% free. To ensure any further problems from cropping up, I bought the extended warrantee to 100,000 miles X 6 years of ownership. The car had at the time of my purchase 13,800 miles. And the best part is I bought a $55,000 fully loaded Performance DTS with Nav and every other option including the ultra soft Tuscany Leather for $30,000 dollars. I bought it in the summer when the temps were often times in the 90's and now being early December with todays high temp about 28 degrees outside. I haven't had even so much as a hiccup of problems with the car and I don't expect there to be any problems and if by chance there are, I have the extended warrantee to cover the costs.

I realize a factory buy back isn't for everyone. With all that being said, keep in mind that the title does say in big letters across the top that its a factory buyback. If I have no problems with the car and I show any potential buyers in the future that it is a buyback and show them all the service related to the car, especially after a number of miles from now, if these initial problems are no longer troublesome according to the service that had been performed, the designation of it being a buyback at that point is much less relevant than it might be otherwise.

I am a believer in buybacks however, you need to consider what the problems on the car were before you take the car home. I don't know what the normal routine is of dealers when it comes to making the potential buyer aware of the past problems with the car, as far as I am concerned, if they don't tell you from the first couple minutes what was wrong with the car, and they don't show you all related documentation associated with the car regarding the repair history than do not consider the car from that dealer under any circumstances. I do not know if my experience is the experience of all who look at buy back cars but if they do not go to the extent this crappy reputation for a dealer did for me, than look elsewhere for the vehicle.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    You have piqued (peaked?) my curiosity...how come they were able to fix the problems on the car as a buyback, but couldn't fix it when the previous owner simply brought it in complaining of needing repair???
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Can't wait for the new DTS to come out so it will finally be up to date and ready to compete with the S Class. This one is dated and doesn't look as good as the original (before they called it DTS). I know the new one won't be called DTS. And since when is there a Sport model. It doesn't compete with the 300C SRT8 in perfromance- not even the 300C. THere is a 50hp difference. Maybe eventually Chrysler will stop being stupid and move the beautiful 300C upmarket some. It would compete with the like of the STS well if it had a nice interior.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    I'm a '05 300C owner (36k miles) who's decided 2008 will be my Cadillac year. But can't decide between the CTS and DTS. First test drive of the CTS (15 minutes with the dealer) was underwhelming...so concluded a longer test is necessary to really evaluate the cars. Just turned in a '08 DTS Lux III after 24 hours and 175 miles of my typical local routes. Impressions:

Exterior styling is a wash with the 300C. I prefer the front and the flanks of the 300C but like the DTS backside better.

Interior styling is also individual preference--I like the 300C's, especially the white dial dash which doesn't have a visibility problem--but have to say the DTS switch gear--with the exception of that ancient and awful turn signal/highbeam/washer/wiper stalk, virtually identical to ones on the cheapest Chevy--looked and felt higher quality. The soft panels on the doors were also nicer than the rubbermaid 300C, though the armrests could have been a bit wider. What could have been done better on the DTS was the center stack trim (black plastic framed by wood just looked like a job half done). And I think there are just too many "convenience" controls on the steering wheel. It's no longer intuitive and if you have to take you eyes off the road to look down at the steering wheel, well, then why not just leave the switches on the dash.

This car had the 6-passenger seat arrangement with a column shifter. That shifter got in the way when reaching for the radio controls.

Although there was plenty of headroom (no sunroof), I banged my head on the door frame on entering and hit the overhead console when leaning over to the glove box. Much more clearance in the 300C.

What a great ride in the DTS. I didn't do any drag racing, nor twisty mountain Grand Prix driving mind you. But the ride felt both solid and soft with vitually no evidence of float. Control over relatively winding roads was excellent. And the DTS was noticeably quieter than the 300C. The feeling was of a more substantial car. There was some torque steer at high throttle but nothing with routine driving.sub

For those who whine because of the "ancient" 4-speed automatic: Get over it. I neither missed the extra gear (the 300C has a 5-speed), nor the 60 hp. The engine/transmission was extremely responsive and there was more than enough power for all but really stupid driving antics. And the DTS had a nicer exhaust note.

What I didn't like in response was a slightly oversensitive throttle, both from a stop and when coming out of a sharp turn. Not as bad as some Ford products but I still found it hard not to snap my passenger's neck. And I really missed some engine breaking when letting up on the throttle. The 300C will downshift on deceleration. There was nothing like that with the DTS. Felt more like free wheeling. Even downshifting the 3rd produced no noticeable braking. Might be an advantage for someone who tends to make jerky throttle movements, but I didn't particularly like it

Really missed the headlight flash-to-pass feature in daytime. Really missed it.

Didn't go through all the setups for the systems but did glance through the owners manual. You've got to be kidding with setting up the garage remote. For the 300C you select Garage Opener from the dash menu, hit Program, then press on your garage door opener and the car reads the signal and programs itself. You don't have to open up the remote and read the set of numbers etc. Setting up the tire pressure monitor seemed as complicated, but I guess you can have the dealer do that.

And finally, for a car with only 7,000 miles, I was surprised at the number of dash rattles.

So after this test I guess the DTS has become a car I'd "like to own" rather than a "gotta have". Haven't decided if the "I'd like" is enough to justify turning in my 300C. But I still have to do a 24 hr test of the CTS....
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Five speed transmissions are now somewhat behind the times too. As far as comparing the 300C 5 speed to the Cadillac's 4 speed, there are some considerations: you tested the base engine/axle ratio in the Cadillac.

The 300C transmission has a 3.58:1 low gear with a 2.82:1 axle ratio
    The Cadillac has a 2.95:1 low gear and either a 3.11:1 or a 3.71:1(performance) axle ratio. So either the low gear on the Cadillac is not quite as low, or is lower. Second and third gears on the 300C are lower and higher than 2nd on the base Cadillac, while the performance Cadillac is about the same as the 300C 2nd.

I have a six speed automatic in my SRX and I do think that it is better overall than the 4 speed was in the 2002 Seville that I had. But the basic 4 speed will do the job quite well, but I found that I had to help it along with selecting 3rd on climbing long grades. My SRX seems to be much better at picking the right gear.
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    I considered buying a Caddy STS back in 2006, until I test drove a Chrysler 300C. For those who want a big, comfortable sedan either car appears to be a good choice. Parked side by side, there was no contest. The Cadillac looked old even though it was new. The 300C was so fresh it turns heads when parked. I drove both cars and decided that although the Caddy was covered with fake wood and shiny stuff inside, it did not make up for the lack of fun behind the wheel. The 300C feels and sounds so good when buzzing around town I hate to get out of the car. I highly recommend the 300C Heritage Edition in Inferno Red. The contrast between the deep metallic red paint and all the stainless and chrome make the car a real beauty. It runs as good as it looks. I have put over 20,000 miles on mine and it has never had to go to the shop for anything. I have relatives who are stuck on Cadillacs that know thier service writers by first name like a concierge at the Hyatt Regency. I don't want that kind of relationship with anyone at my dealership! The new Chryslers have a LIFETIME powertrain warranty standard. They could not afford to offer such a warranty unless the cars were as reliable as I think they are. Feature for feature, dollar for dollar the Chrysler 300C is a much better value and choice. I recommend the touch screen Navigation system combined with the Sirius MyGig entertainment system. It is so cool! I have used my system to navigate through some really hairy highway interchanges in Dallas, Houston and Austin. I would have ended up lost many times had it not been for the excellent interactive navigation system. I feel that the interior of the 300C is no different than that of a Mercedes or BMW, but if you have to have the "wood style trim", there are numerous after market kits to install on a 300C to give you the look you are looking for. In fact there are more accessories designed for the 300C than any other car iIever seen. I recommend the stainless window trim kit and the stainless rocker panel kit, for starters. You can get carried away, since so much is available, but chrome tail and head light bezels look great. Stainless billet ribbed fog light covers are dual purpose adding some flash and also protecting the fog light lense from rocks. The 300C appeals to a broad range of age groups, where the Caddys are "your parents car"...
    It is my understanding that the wood trim in Cadillac's is real. A very thin veneer mounted on a plastic probably, covered with a protective coating. Still what you see is real wood.

I did look at a Chrysler 300 (the limited I think) and I thought the interior was mostly hard plastic. Still the 300 is a lot of car for the money. While the interior is not luxury class, the suspension is based on a Mercedes design I think. I don't know if you were looking at the RWD STS or an older FWD STS.
    It is really not a fair comparison when you compare a Chrysler 300 and a Cadillac STS. A 300 Limited is limited alright. It has a 3.5L or a 2.7L V-6, compared to a Northstar V-8. The interior of the 300 is also rather entry level, and overall the economy version of the model. There is a huge difference between a 300 and a 300C. The 300C comes standard with the 5.7L MDS HEMI V-8 (340 HP) and a Mercedes 5-speed autostick transmission for starters. The general trim level is tastefully built, with lots of leather. Loaded with accessories a 300C is about $12,000 to $15,000 cheaper than a similarly equipped Caddy. I guess it all amounts to personal preference. Still, I think either car would be the best choice for road trips compared to an SUV. You just can't beat the feel of a decent sedan for comfort and handling.
    I did see a 300C also, and I don't think the interior trim was all that much different.

I own a 2007 SRX and find that it is a nice vehicle for road trips. Compared to my 2002 Seville LS (FWD), the SRX handles much better. The ride is a bit firmer as should be expected with lower profile tires rated for 150 MPH.

Cadillac's are much more expensive than the Chrysler 300 and should be more luxurious for the extra money. The 300C does have a lot of performance for the money, and the suspension is good compared to say the Lincoln Town Car or other RWD Ford products. The RWD STS is a good sports sedan, but is very expensive when well equipped. I would have considered the Magnum wagon, but I don't want the hemi engine (too big and thirsty), while the 3.5 liter V6 is probably not quite big enough. If Chrysler had an engine in the 4.2 to 4.5 liter range able to produce about 280 lb-ft of torque in the 3000 to 4000 RPM range, I would have really considered the Magnum. However, I live where snow and ice are winter time problems and I find that the AWD I have to be very useful.

In case you are not aware, Pontiac is set to sell the G8, made by Holden (a GM brand). The G8 has an interior that compares (I think) with the 300C. It also has a 6.2 liter V8 that should compare with the hemi for performance.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Glad to see this thread has come alive. I've owned a 2005 300C since Sept 04 and in a couple of weeks will take delivery of my first Cadillac--a 2008 DTS Performance. I'm anxious to see what my own reactions will be to the Caddy once the novelty wears off. The 300C has been pretty much a flawless performer--and averages 20 mpg for me--so it will be a tough act to follow. Why the switch? I've always wanted a Caddy (I'm from THAT generation) and just turned 60. Don't want my first Caddy to be the hearse carrying my coffin.....

I agree that the new G8 will be a more direct competitor for the 300C. Remains to be seen what will happen with the powerplants of both those cars now that the new CAFE standards need to be figured in. GM has already dropped the development plans for the Northstar successor as a result. Maybe we'll be seeing some turbo diesels in our future....
    For maximum fuel economy, I think that some sort of electric drive with rechargable batteries and a motor generator are the future. GM is working on LI batteries that can do this at an affordable price.
    Have you ever considered a Chrysler Pacifica with the new 4.0L V6 with dual exhaust, four wheel disc brakes, antilock, traction control, leather interior, navigation system, satellite radio, etc. ? These are some of the most useful and fun cars to drive I have experienced in a long time. It is not a van, and its not a SUV. It is a great road vehicle, and it is big enough to do just about anything you need to do. I rented one for a week in Florida, and really enjoyed driving it. :D
    I did sort of look at and considered a Pacifica. However, I now have a 2007 SRX and am quite happy with it.
  • xtecxtec Member Posts: 354
    Just to let you know the Pacifica is no longer being made.
    That should help decision if anybody is thinking about buying one.I heard good things about the Pacifica,but no longer being made.
  • bremertongbremertong Member Posts: 436
    May I now suggest that the name be updated to Cadillac DTS and STS VS. Chrysler 300C and SRT.
    While there is nothing perfect in life I think as many posters have suggested that to compare the 300 series other than 300 C or SRT with Cadillac is a mismatch. My intention was always the 300 C and not the 6 cylinder engines found in the other Chrysler 300 cars. I also feel that a comparison including the the STS would widen the discussion and make for more interesting comparisons.
  • sumitomotype65sumitomotype65 Member Posts: 4
    An older Corvette? A turbo charged Asian screamer? Maybe an older Porsche? My old beloved '90 Eagle Talon TSI/AWD turbo? Nope. I bought a 2008 Chrysler 300C AWD with the 5.7L Hemi. I was set on the Limited model with the 3.5L V6. But when I found one with the options I wanted: color, nav, satellite, dual zone climate, sunroof, etc., it was a 300C V8 with AWD. The mileage (15/23) isn't that much worse vs. the V6 and the V8 runs on 4 cyls. 85% of the time and you can't detect it at all other than the "Fuel Saver Mode" read-out in the dash. Chrysler claims 10-20% increase in MPG. Nothing at all like the old GM V8-6-4 nightmare. MDS (multi-displacement system) has been in use since the '05 300C and has proven to be bullet proof. 340 hp. is more than enough for me in a family sedan. The SRT8 w/425hp. must be unbelievable. The Mercedes DNA is obvious. The 5-speed w/auto stick, the rear suspension, the seats, the steering, the AWD (Mercedes 4Matic), the bank-vault like quiet, are from the previous E-class. Big cube V8 gives effortless thrust at any rpm. I drove it in a light rain on deserted road/parking lot to get a feel for it. With the AWD system, ABS, traction control, and brake assist you must really try to lose traction because I couldn't. A neat feature in the dash among the 120+ read-outs available is a 0-60 timer. The only thing that kept me from buying one 2-3 yrs. ago was the interior. I thought it was a little cheap (for it's price). It has been addressed in '08. The interior has a similar design with a new console & Nav. system but the materials are higher quality. Real wood, leather, LED lighting throughout and every luxury option you could want. This is the one Chrysler to actually benefit from the Daimler merger (takeover) and IMO looks like nothing else on the road.
    I could not agree with you more. I believe the Chrysler 300C is the best car you can buy for under $40,000. I have put my two 2006 Heritage Editions through some fairly tough tests, (trans-Texas 12 hour drives at 80+ mph), extreme hot and cold weather, mountainous driving in New Mexico and Colorado and have always come away smiling. I love the 5.7L MDS HEMI. I would have bought the SRT with the 6.1 HEMI if it had the MDS system. It does not, and firing all 8 cylinders all the time for the 426 cubic inch V8 HEMI equals 16 mpg city or highway. The 425 horsepower was enough fun to get you in trouble with the law, but the 5.7 with its 340 horses is more than adequate to smoke a Mustang GT at a light, or blow by an STS Caddy or 525 BMW with ease out on the open road. The 300C has some very long legs and loves to run. Imagine my surprise when I viewed a brand new HEMI equipped Charger in my rear view mirror coming up fast. I thought he wanted to compare toys, so I punched it to see if he wanted to play. Bad idea! FYI, the Texas Highway Patrol just purchased a fleet of Dodge Charger police interceptors that have no emission control devices becaue they are exempt. They are also tuned for maximum horsepower, but will not tell you exactly how much. (He won...) At least he had a sense of humor. He asked if I like that Bobby Fuller song, "I fought the law and the law won..." I got off with a stern warning partly because his car was completely unmarked and only had the lights and siren. He was on his way to get it finished... I must say, the Charger makes a most intimidating police car especially with those extremely bright red and blue LED lights in the grill and inside the windshield and rear glass. Watch out for them!
  • sumitomotype65sumitomotype65 Member Posts: 4
    What's great about the new Charger, other than the retro styling and the 6.1 Hemi, is that it went from concept to showroom in the usual quick Chrysler time frame. Just like the Viper, Prowler, and PT Cruiser. How long has GM hyped the new Camaro? Seems like just after the Mustang's latest redesign in '05 we started to here about the resurrected Camaro. I'm glad GM is bringing it back. It's a classic model that other companies would kill for to have that kind of name recognition for a new car. They were shortsighted when they killed it, focusing on trucks/SUVs. Just don't talk about it for 5 yrs. Just do it. Something I worry about is Chrysler's shaky future. Cerberus talks a good game as far as saving Chrysler. But their track record says Chrysler is just their latest churn & burn takeover. What if I need new cupholders for my 300 in 2012? LOL
    This is true. I wish things had worked out better and the marriage between Daimler and Chrysler was still intact. Of the former "Big Three", Chrysler always seemed to have the innovation to strike out on new paths when the others preferred to standby and watch. Originality in design and technology was always the name of the game. I think they have made some of the most beautiful cars ever in the last 10 years. I owned two 300M's before my 300C's and loved the sleek styling of them. I would much rather see GM break up than Chrysler anyday. It seems that since the mega conglomerate absorbed such companies as Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac (all originally independent) the quality of the products dimished rapidly as did the originality (i.e., personality) of each product line. I would rather see a lot of small companies thrive than the monster corporations, who typically lack the imagination needed to thrill us with new ideas.
    This is true. I wish things had worked out better and the marriage between Daimler and Chrysler was still intact. Of the former "Big Three", Chrysler always seemed to have the innovation to strike out on new paths when the others preferred to standby and watch. Originality in design and technology was always the name of the game. I think they have made some of the most beautiful cars ever in the last 10 years. I owned two 300M's before my 300C's and loved the sleek styling of them. I would much rather see GM break up than Chrysler anyday. It seems that since the mega conglomerate absorbed such companies as Buick, Oldsmobile and Cadillac (all originally independent) the quality of the products dimished rapidly as did the originality (i.e., personality) of each product line. I would rather see a lot of small companies thrive than the monster corporations, who typically lack the imagination needed to thrill us with new ideas.
    GM is one hundred years old this year. So Buicks have been rapidly going downhill for 100 years :sick: Somehow I think your post is way overblown. Leland supplied Oldsmobile with engines way back when, but Oldmobile did not want Leland's newest, and best engine. So Leland started building Cadillac's to use the newest and best engine. Leland's Cadillac was a mid-priced car, not a luxury car. Without GM taking these independent companies over, they would have meandered down some totally different path, probably all going bankrupt during the depression.

I would agree that in the last 25 years (from about 1980 or so) GM has drifted along and not done well. I think that they are improving now. Actually, GM probably was at its best in the 1960's, when they should have started down a different path than they actually took, but hindsight is always better than foresight.
  • rrosellrrosell Member Posts: 17
    Tell me about it! A 98 De Ville, which I love, but the leak is there and now the whole AC unit has to be replaced. Time to go. Would like to find another sitting in a garage with 300 miles on it.
    You are correct. The last Pacifica was built in 2008. I can't understand why they would drop such a beautiful design and continue to build something like the PT Cruiser. At least the Pacifica was useable and comfortable.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    I just checked out a 2010 300 S. It's a new model designation. I think it is one of the finest 300's I've seen. Dark grille smoked head and tail lamp lenses and more. The one I looked was white which I think is the best color because of the darked out parts. It had every option except a moonroof and listed for about 38,500 I think. Anyway, does everyone else think it is as fine as I do? My main problem is that the 2011 is a total redesign and it will be outdated in a few months. I really don't know what to do. I guess there may be a 2011 300 S, but can;'t say for sure.
  • roddariusroddarius Member Posts: 7
    hey
  • 1atomic1atomic Member Posts: 1
    the chrysler 300S will be out in the summer as a 2012 model. the interior looks great... love the red/black leather of the teasers i have seen. i heard that it will be available with either the awesome v6 (we have a 2011 300 limited) or hemi v8. hmm... i am wondering if the 5.7 liter v8 model will still be called "300C" when the "S" marque is applied.

we needed to replace our older 300C we leased (for a 2011 model) before the '12 model year when things get pretty exciting at chrysler: the 8 speed gated automatics (v6 only), "S" models; the all new SRT-8 with 6.4 liter hemi v8; AWD 6 & 8 cylinder versions; etc.

well, i only have great things to say about the '11 300 limited based on our experience, but would wait for the '12 to get the new transmission and "S" edition, as well as AWD option for BOTH v6 and v8 models. for '11, AWD is sold only with the hemi v8.
  • coolrunning1coolrunning1 Member Posts: 1
    I just traded in my 2006 300C Heritage Edition on a 2011 Town & Country, to upgrade our road trip vehicle. My only complaint with my 300C was the small trunk; otherwise it was a fabulous road car... I was surprised to discover how much the Town & Country had improved since our 2000 model. The new 3.6L V6 engine is said to become one of the standard choices available in all Chrysler models soon, including the Jeep line. I am very impressed with this engine so far. In the T&C, it is mated with a 6 speed transmission. On the highway I have been able to get 27 mpg at 80 mph! I can't imagine what would happen if I had an 8 speed. As much as I love my 5.7 HEMI (I still have another one), I am convinced the technology has improved far beyond my expectations and I may very well end up with a 300S as well. These are the best Chryslers ever made! :D
  • fearlessflyfearlessfly Member Posts: 15
    I'm a baby boomer who likes RWD cars. I currently drive a 1992 Mercury Gran Marquis which has been discontinued by Ford. Now that I'm in the market for a new vehicle, I would like to still buy a RWD if possible but I know my choices are limited. Therefore, I would like to consider the 2012 or 2013 Chrysler 300C with the Hemi since I grew up with V-8's. However, I have a concern about Chrysler products because back in the day, Chryslers always had quality control issues especially around fit and finish and people who owned them would say they were good for 3 years or so and then you could expect maintenance issues. Also, I wonder how Chrysler cars will hold up now that the corporation is owned by Fiat. Can anyone provide me with some feedback about these concerns and their experiences/issues with the 300C? I'm also considering the Cadillac CTS, Mercedes C and E series, BMW 5-series, Mustang GT, and if I get desperate even the Lincoln MKS if I can't find a good RWD. Thanks for your help!
    It is nice to see there are still people out there who are subjective enough to ask for input from long time owners instead of simply assuming that Chryslers deserve the disrespect they often get from those who only remember the "K" cars of the late 70's/early 80's. I have owned Fords and GM products as well as Hondas and Toyotas. My first Chrysler product was a Plymouth Voyager. It was an incredibly useful vehicle that served our family well for nearly 10 years. I drove a Mercury Sable during this time that was the absolute worst car I have ever owned. It was in the dealership more than my garage and I eventually bought a 1999 Chrysler 300M to replace it. It was used, with 44.000 miles on it. I wasn't sure if I was going to regret it but I fell in love with this car. I never had a problem with this car. It was such a sweet ride, beautiful, loaded and just a pleasure to drive. I traded it after 5 years for another used 300M. This one was a 2004 Special. It was the upgraded model of the 300M with 18" wheels, dual exhaust, ground effects, HID headlights, two-tone leather interior, two-tone paint and a high performance V6 with the same 5 speed autostick transmission. It was a blast to drive and a real head turner. By this time, we had also upgraded our van to a 2000 Chrysler Town & Country LXI which was loaded with everything you could need. My wife retired in 2006 and I decided she had been driving minivans for long enough and I wanted to treat her to a new 300C. After researching them for months, I settled on the 2006 Chrysler 300C Heritage Edition. It was a limited edition with special packaged features that made it stand out from all the rest. It was also the only way you could get a red one (Crystal Inferno Red Pearlcoat) at the time. So, I had two of the best Chryslers in my garage side by side: a 2004 300M and a 2006 300C. Life was good. That is until I drove the 300C more and more. The 5.7L HEMI V8 was a far cry from the HP V6 in the 300M. I began to realize that I had bought her the car I really wanted. Six months passed and I began to search for an identical twin 300C HE. I found one in Dallas, Texas and made the deal over the phone. I drove over 500 miles to trade my beloved 300M Special in on the second 300C HE. It was fun to have two identical cars. She loved hers and I loved mine. We even got special license plates: MY300C and HR300C. We never have had any mechanical or electrical problems with any of our Chrysler products. After 5 years, my wife said she loved her car, but she missed her van. We used to go tent camping and it is tough to carry all the stuff we did in the van in the trunk of a 300C! As much as I loved the cars, I decided she was right. I could trade one of them in on a new van and still enjoy the other. She is now the proud owner of a 2011 Chrysler Town & Country Limited that has about everything they offer on the option list. What impressed me most about this version is the engine. The 3.6L V6 Pentstar engine has 282 HP and a 6 speed transmission behind it. We have put about 15.000 miles on it with no problems. We like to take long road trips through the Rocky Mountains and the deserts of the Southwest and this vehicle is the best road car we have ever owned! It is powerful and fuel efficient. Comfort is its main virtue and it is hard to believe how far they have come since the first generation. I would highly recommend Chrysler products to anyone. I am still driving my 2006 300C and will probably continue to keep it forever. I have nearly 60,000 miles on it and it has the original brakes. I am currently shopping for tires, but can probably get another 10K out of them. If I was shopping for a new car, I would consider the 2012 300C and the 300 Limited. As much as I enjoy my HEMI, I would highly recommend you test drive both for at least a day. Yes, the HEMI is fast! But, for all around performance in all conditions, you might find yourself lovong the 300 Limited. The same V6 Pentstar engine that is in my 2011 Town & Country now resides under the hood of the 300 Limited, but with an 8 speed transmission! I rented one for two weeks recently, and saw 28 to 31 mpg average. It runs better than my 1985 Mustang GT. You really owe it to yourself to give them a try. I prefer to buy American, and these are very reliable and durable cars, unlike anything the big three were building 20 years ago. On that note, when Daimler-Benz got involved with Chrysler it was a very positive influence. My 300C benefited by getting a Mercedes 5 speed autostick transmission, the suspension design of a Mercedes 300 series and much larger and effective 4 wheel disc brakes. There are subtle torsion bar and handling tweeks found under the car that were added by the Germans as well. The interior of the new Chysler 300 is so much improved over my 2006, I am jealous. It is a great update and it makes the driving experience much more pleasurable. The ride quality is much improved as well. The new 300C is a bit firmer due to the larger wheels, high performance low profile tires, and stiffer suspension for snappy cornering. I prefer the smoother ride of the 300 Limited. Unless you are going to drive around corners like you are attempting to evade arrest, a four door sedan should ride more like a luxury car. (I am not impressed with the ride of the new Cadillacs & BMWs for the same reason). Give Chrysler a fair chance. They are a great value, and much more reliable and durable than you might think. I will likely be driving them exclusively for the rest of my days. Since Daimler-Benz decided to pull out allowing FIAT to buy about 30% of the company, the infusion of new money and management has already had a positive effect. Chrysler shed over 200 non-productive dealerships nationwide keeping only the productive franchises open. The product lineup has been culled (as it should) eliminating specific vehicles for which the market was already saturated with or there was hardly any market at all (i.e. the Prowler, Crossfire). New models abound and Chrysler has become the best version of itself striking fear in the competition. The industry is more competitive than ever and Chrysler has proven to be a valid contender. Chrysler actually builds and sells concepts that others were just dreaming about. Seriously, no other company can provide you with more value, integrity, style and fun all in one package. They produce an excellent product. The next challenge for them is to bring the service departments up to the same high standards. :)
  • fearlessflyfearlessfly Member Posts: 15
    I'm a baby boomer who likes large RWD cars. I currently drive a 1992 Mercury Gran Marquis which has been discontinued by Ford. Now that I'm in the market for a new vehicle, I would like to still buy a RWD if possible but I know my choices are limited. Therefore, I would like to consider the 2012 or 2013 Dodge Charger with the Hemi since I grew up with V-8's or maybe just the SE model. However, I have a concern about Chrysler/Dodge products because back in the day, Chryslers/Dodges always had quality control issues especially around fit and finish and people who owned them would say they were good for 3 years or so and then you could expect maintenance issues. Also, I wonder how Chrysler/Dodge cars will hold up now that the corporation is owned by Fiat. The police department in my town use 2010-2011 Chargers with the 6Cyl and they do not like the Charger because they always have maintenance problems especially with the suspensions.Can anyone provide me with some feedback about these concerns and their experiences/issues with the Dodge Charger? I'm also considering the Cadillac CTS, Mercedes C and E series, BMW 5-series, Mustang GT, Chrysler 300C and if I get desperate even the Lincoln MKS if I can't find a good RWD. Thanks for your help!