Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    Thanks! I am very happy with my Jeep. I am really not sure how much flex I can get (I just got it back yesterday afternoon). I did not get the sway-bar disconnects, but that is something I could add later. I do not do any rock crawling so that was not important to me. The AT's do very well in the snow. My Jeep is also my every day driver so I did not want a very aggressive tire.

Which lift is best for you is something you really need to think about. Skyjacker, Superlift, Trailmaster.....I think they are all very similar. If you go into the Rubicon Express or Teraflex you are talking MUCH more $$$, but you get the extra flex. I would suggest going to your local 4x4 shop and tell them what you want to do and what type of off-roading you do and get some input from them.

I know Skyjacker offers a 2.5" lift with single or double flex which should easily clear 32x11.50's. Check out http://www.skyjacker.com
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Most young people would LOVE a Jeep (If you'll scroll around in this group, you'll find that even old farts, like me, are buying Jeeps).

I think a Jeep would be just what the doctor ordered for those Wisconsin winters and for the primitive roads you travel for your paintballing.

You mentioned that you would be looking for a '96 or a '97. Well, I'm afraid you would be looking for a long time for a '96 and never find one. They didn't have a '96 model. That was when they were switching to the TJ's from the YJ's.

If you get a '97 or newer, you will be getting the current version of the Wrangler, the "TJ." There were some real nice improvements with the TJ's as far as the suspension. The TJ's have coil springs instead of the leaf springs and have a much better ride.

I am just a new Jeep owner myself, and someone else could tell you much more than I would be able to on the technical stuff.

I CAN tell you that I LOVE my Jeep though. Mine is a 2001 Wrangler Sport. You can take a look at her at the following:
    http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

I've only had her since December 8, so I don't have any info on long term reliability. But I CAN tell you she is FUN!

I definitely wanted the 4.0 L engine, since I will be out on the highway for long trips fairly often and this is my only vehicle. I also got the five speed for fun and for better power and gas mileage.

For many people's needs, the four cylinder engine would do just fine. The SE's are the four cylinder versions of the Wrangler and the Sports and Saharas have the 4.0 L in-line six cylinder engines.

Hope this helps. Post more questions if you want. I wish I could help you more on the technical issues, but, like I said, I'm new at Jeeping myself.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep this year?
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    Hey ts -

Nice Jeep! Just saw the pix on your page.

I'm still shopping for a new Sport. Can't wait to get one of my own.

I read alot of complaints on NHTSA's site about Y2K Wranglers with 5 speed transmissions that were disasters - popping out of 1st or 2nd gear while accelerating, or unable to shift at all after the car warmed up. Any problems like that?

Hope they fixed whatever was wrong with that model year. I want that 5 speed.
    I have a 2001 TJ with the 5-speed and I have not had any problems with the transmission popping out of gear. I only have a little over 4,000 miles on it, but I think if I had that problem I would have noticed by now.
    Thelma Jane doesn't have the problem you're talking about. I have also read posts where people have been complaining about that, but, so far, absolutely no problem with my little gal.

I think there was an associated problem with a noise when the Jeep is in neutral with the enigne running and the clutch out. Thelma doesn't have that symptom either.

I read somewhere that the problem was attributed to misalignment of the engine and transmission due to some problem with dowel pins.

If that's true, then you either have the problem to start with or you're not going to have it at all, wouldn't you think???

Anyway, gcl98, no problems with Thelma's five speed or anything else either, for that matter.

If you want a five speed, I don't know of any reason that you shouldn't get one.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • msternnjmsternnj Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2k 6 cyl wrangler w/5 spd. I find that when I snow plow with it, or tow my wave runners,
    it is "sluggish". Does anyone have any experience with any of the aftermarket computer chips, and does this help?? Any other ideas??
    You lucky dog! Your area got hit with a nice big snow, didn't it?

Tell us all about playing with your Jeep in all that snow! Did you rescue any little old ladies or anything?

How much snow did you get?

Come on, share with the less fortunate!

tsjay

• wleekewleeke Member Posts: 13
    Hey Everybody! I finally got this thing to work & get my post out!

I finally did get my order placed for my 2001 Sport. It should hopefully be in sometime last January.

Here's the rundown : Patriot Blue (it was a tough decision 2001Wrangler/Kevin), Agate Interior, 3.73 Axle Ratio, Rear Trac-Lok, A/C, Dual Top Group in Black, Both Convenience Groups, 30" Canyon Tire Group, Speed Control, Tinted Windows, ABS, Fog Lamps & Hooks Group, Sentry Key, 5 Speaker Option, Add a Trunk. I think that's it. I'm going to plan on changing out the front & rear bumpers upon arrival along with adding nurf bars to the side. I getting excited about getting into working with this new toy! TJAY, tell Thelma-Jane she's gonna have a new cousin!

2001WRANGLER :
    I checked out the pics of your toy with the new lift. It looks GREAT! I'm interested in doing a "little" lift on mine (have to still fit in the garage) and I also will want to change out the tires in time. I really like the look you've given yours if you could share some information about what exactly you added to get that look I'd really appreicate it. My e-mail address is WLeeke@aol.com

To all of you for helping me understanding and learn about Jeep-Jeep's I greatly appreciate it!

Happy New Year!
  • truebelievertruebeliever Member Posts: 14
    Went to the D.C. car show today. My wife didn't want me to go. Figured I would see another car I liked better and have buyers remorse. Still very happy with my choice.

All the cars I liked were cars I had considered purchasing. Isn't it interesting how some cars just appeal to you and others may not like them at all. Keep coming back to the Wrangler though. For me it was one of the cheaper cars I considered, but one of the most stylish. One thing I worried about was when is the model going to change. Will my new car be dated in 1-2 years? Very relaxing with the Wrangler. It is such a classic and changes so little that you don't have to worry about it.

Standouts at the car show, IMHO, were the H2 Hummer, the Jeep Commander concept, the Dodge Sidewinder concept, and the new Thunderbird. A lot of people drooling over the Thunderbird. Ford has got themselves a winner.

For you NASCAR boys, they had Jeff Gordon's car. Spects were 740 bhp and 575 ft/lb of torque at monsterously high rpms. Also had the new Dodge car. It going to be strange to see Bill Elliot in something other than a Ford, but nice to see DC back in the game.
  • kajokajo Member Posts: 2
    I have heard that the wranglers can swing both ways. Mechanical dreams or an absolute nightmare.
    Whats the deal? I mean i can take care of a car but i am not too mechanicaly inclined. I know enough to change the oil regularly and keep the car clean but if something ever breaks down i think i will be out of luck.

My friends dad has a hydraulic lift in his garage i could probably use whenever i want to work on the thing but i would have no idea where to go about starting. is it easy to repair something like that? I mean i picked up building/repairing computers like nothing but it doesn't seem like it is the same.

Give me the lowdown.
    Kajo out-

Also give me some tips on buying a used wrangler.
  • chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    You got it right buddy! We got pounded with snow! total I think its around 22" to 25"!! Where I live there is a lot of hills and I was going up em like the pavement was dry. Others were not as fortunate as I was.. By the afternoon, It was nearly impossable to drive anywhere. Cars were stuck in the streets and the city didn't even start to plow yet. So I deceided to not go anywhere in my Jeep. But being from Las Vegas I took my Dog out to play in the snow. Boy was he happy!!
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    My TJ is noisy in neutral and has sticky shifting when warm. It does not pop out of gear. I don't think they made any changes to the 01.
    landrunner package
    I don't know anything about it. I don't like it though. I would get what you wanted after you buy the Jeep unless you like the look. I don't want buy a Jeep and try to make it look like hummer.
    Re: the age issue
    Yes you are missing something. All of those people are idiots! Why would you want to listen to an idiot? I am glad you bought what you wanted. I am not married and I don't have kids and I get the same crap. I get the high school jokes. It bothers me some but I don't care. I love my Jeep and I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • gcl98gcl98 Member Posts: 26
    TJ looks great with the 4" lift and the 33s. What will that lift do to the warranty?

And what color is it? Kinda hard to tell in the pictures. Black, or Steel Blue?
  • spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    The Landrunner is an aftermarket package. The whole thing usually runs about 30,000 or so from the dealer, it just depends on what you get on it. I'm with texasjeep... why get a jeep and try to make it look like a hummer? Just spend an extra 10,000 and get an older used Hummer, their built to last. I've got a 2000 sport that I paid around 22,000 for. I've a roof rack from Garvin industry, 4 KC daylighters, a brush guard, skid plates, rock rails, and I'm going to put on a 3" teraflex lift with 31" tires. All this will be around 3-4 thousand in extras when I'm done. This comes up less than the landrunner and I'm going to have more stuff. So unless you just really like the look of it, just stick with a normal jeep and get upgrades. Plus, it's fiberglass add on pieces, so if you smack a tree or rock it'll probably crack and you'll have to replace the whole hood or side panels. Those pieces are more expensive than the standard wrangler replacement pieces.
    Well, any car can be a nightmare or a dream, just depends on if you get a lemon or not. Now granted that jeeps do brake down more often that other cars, but hey their used in much harder conditions. It just depends on how you drive it. I've found that if you've got a jack or even some tire ramps that everything is pretty easy to get to. Parts are readily available and are mostly easy to replace. If you don't want to do it, there a dealerships and shops all over the place that can work on a wrangler, so repairs arn't that big of a problem. I've already got 20,000 miles on mine and the only problem I've had is that my passenger seat broke and wouldn't slide properly and my from brakes needed to be machined because they got warped, and that all was done under waranty. But keep in mind that even toyota's can have lemons, so don't give up on a jeep.
    It is Steel Blue. The lift will void the warranty on my tranny and rear end, but won't affect the warranty on the motor. It really depends on your dealer.

In case anyone missed it....you can see pictures of my Jeep at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1426591&a=10683235
  • ollllllloolllllllo Member Posts: 1
    Waiting for the next Jeep Wrangler? Here it is...

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b122900.htm

Scroll down to bottom of page.
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    I'm thinking about buying a different vehicle, either new or slightly used, and a Wrangler is one on my short list. I've read alot of reviews and the posts here, and know about the relatively low MPG, the noise, and other aspects of owning a Jeep. I do mostly city driving, but may try some off road someday. I live in Wisconsin, so I have to deal with the snow and cold. If I buy one, it will be the I-6/5 speed/hardtop. This would be my first 4x4, and first Chrysler. I still have a few questions though.
    1. Day-in, day out is a Wrangler a reliable, dependable vehicle? Or will I be taking it in the the shop to get something fixed every other month? This would be my daily driver.
    2. Is it easy for a person to work on the I-6? Are the spark plugs, filters, etc. easily accessible?
    3. Have most Jeep owners been treated well by Chrysler service.
    4. Any Jeep owners in Wisconsin recommend a good dealer? (I live in Madison)
    Wish Chrysler offered lower interest rates on the new Wranglers, but I suppose demand is high.
    Thanks for your help. - Jeffer2
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    you live in madison? I don't own a wrangler, but there is a good jeep dealership in Minneapolis if you'd be willing to look that far away. (4 hr drive) Park Jeep in Burnsville is the largest wrangler dealer in the 10 state area. (or so they claim) I have a couple of friends with wranglers that had good luck there. might be worth a look.
    Well, personal experince is all I can help you out with. I bought my 2000 sport on feb. 1st. I have already put 18,000 miles on it. The only problems I've had is the passenger seat broke and wouldn't slide properly and my front right brake disk needed to be machined because it got warped somehow. (anyone else have this problem?) Both of these were fixed under warranty and a day in the shop. Not to mention that I've put her through the works by going off-road quite a few times, and have had no problems except for getting her unstuck. It's no less or no more reliable than any other car. But it drives alot different than any other car. You can have problems with any kind of car, but mostly it depends on how you take care of it. I change my own oil and it's pretty easy to do. I find that just getting down under it is the easiest way to get to the oil filter and the drain. Havn't had to change any spark plugs but have looked at them, not a problem to get to. I havn't had any problems with Chrysler yet, so I have no complaints. The feeling you get when you drive a jeep around with the top off is unmatched by any other car... plus you'll get alot of waves from other jeeps wich makes you feel cool. Plus if you want to personalize your jeep there is an infinate supply of products to add on. There isn't alot of space in a jeep so if you plan on carrying alot of stuff around your out of luck unless you get a rack or a trailor. it's not a quiet or comfortable ride, but hey it's a jeep. Best bet is go to a dealership, talk to the machanics, dealers, take a test drive. Go around town and on the highway. Just see if you can live with it everyday.
    Hi guy! I have recently bought a 2001 Wrangler Sport, hard top, 5-speed, and I absolutely love her! She is my daily driver, as you say yours would be.

I had a virtually new Grand Prix GT sedan that I had bought brand new 3/27/00. I was afraid of getting a Wrangler for my only means of transportation. I kind of took a survey in this group and asked the Jeep owners here what they would think of having a Jeep as their only vehicle, and out of eight responses, six were in favor of the idea. One of the "no's" later retracted his vote and said he didn't think it would be a problem after all.

Well, now that I have done it, I HAVE NO REGRETS!

I love my Jeep! She is more fun than any vehicle I have ever had. I haven't had her long enough to know anything about reliability over any appreciable amount of time, but I can tell you there is no hint of a problem after 1400 miles.

The space factor that has been mentioned already is a little bit of a problem, but the fun factor more than makes up for that. Heck, if a Jeep weren't so small it just wouldn't be a Jeep and wouldn't be as fun to drive.

Take a look at my baby, Thelma Jane:

I would recommend the subwoofer option if you get a brand new Jeep. It makes a world of difference in the sound quality of your stereo. Another thing you will probably want is the trac loc option. I didn't know the benefit of it until I had already placed the order for Thelma Jane, so I don't have it, but a lot of folks in here swear by it for driving on snow or ice.

Hope you join the club! JEEPS ARE FUN!

tsjay

• onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    Hi tsjay,
    I just visited your webpage, I like your Jeep. I see that you have been putting some miles on it since you took delivery. I hope it has lived up to the expectations that you had about it. I think you made a wise choice in getting the hard top and full metal doors, those should help a lot with noise on road trips. Both my wife and my TJ have half doors and soft tops, making for some very loud road trips. Anyway, I am happy that you like your Jeep and I hope it does not give you the problems that we have had with ours. The following is a link to a picture of our Jeeps: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1345586&a=10061244&p=33627116
    Well, I just got done counting out my change that I've been saving up and it came to $400 dollars exactly! I do belive this is almost half of that 3" teraflex lift I'm going to get in about 4 months. Now I just gotta figure out what tires and wheels I want. Probably going with 31's or 32's by 11 or 11.50. What type to you guy's suggest? Thornbirds, or Yokomahas, or anything else for that matter? I do alot of trail riding with a fair bit of mud and not much rock climbing. It's also a daily driver. What should I go with? Thanks for all you guy's help!
    Thanks! I'll pass you compliment on to Thelma Jane. I know she will blush.

I really think it is great that both you and the Mrs. have a Jeep. Mrs. Only must be one cool lady.

I am enjoying driving Thelma like no other vehicle I have ever owned. What the heck is it that makes Jeeps so much fun to drive? Even driving on paved roads where you could just as easily be driving a car is fun! I can't wait to get off the highway somewhere with her (nothing too severe, now mind you).

If I NEVER got off the highway and never even had occasion to engage the four wheel drive, I would still want to be driving a Jeep!

Take it easy, Only and Mrs. Only.

tsjay

I would go with 33's if they will fit and if not 32's. You may want to get extended flares or maker sure your tire will fit under the stock flares. I don't want to spend 300 plus bucks on extended flares and my tires stick out a 1" or 2. Anytime I hit any mud my Jeep is covered on the sides. I didn't engage 4wd this weekend but Jeep is covered in mud on the sides. Oh yeah it actually snowed on me this weekend. Unfortunately it didn't stick, but I did have ice all over my Jeep and icicles hanging off it. If you are going to be mudding I would get a mud tire or you won't be happy. I have never heard a go thing about Thornbirds. All the other www.intercotire.com tires are great. They will be loud, heavy and sometimes hard to balance though. The new TRXUS M/T may be better. I would look at buckshots, BFGoodrich M/T and Goodyear M/T and Cooper's M/T
  • dpage35925dpage35925 Member Posts: 45
    Hello everyone,
    I haven't been active in this room for the past 4 months or so, but I've been reading on and off. Some of you might remember that I got my wrangler back in august.
    www.hometown.aol.com/dpage35925
    I just wanted to tell you that I'm still in love with my Jeep. I love her even more than the first day I pick her up. I went offroading deep into the everglades a few times and I had a blast. I took a few pictures in the mud but I didn't have time to post the pictures into my web site yet. I purchased a few things that I always take with me when I go out there.
    48" Hi-lift jack, shovel, tow straps, chain,hand winch,tool box, gps, and a few other things. It's like insurance... you never know.
    I haven't got stuck yet, but I know I will.

The only bad thing I can say is that it's a little uncomfortable on a long trip. I find the seats to be too soft and my legs cramp up after a while. Everything else is great and it's a lot of fun to drive.

Dennis
  • l30011l30011 Member Posts: 2
    I have been out test driving a 2000 used Sport Wrangler 6 cylinder, 5 speed, and it is pretty well loaded with everything and has the hard and soft matching tops. It is white with a tan top. It only has 12,000 miles on it and is in good condition and looks like it has never been off road.

I am a complete financial dunce and can't figure out whether I'm getting ripped off or not here with this used car dealer. They are offering me (I have good credit but lots of purchases to pay off) a $350 monthly payment amount for 72 months and I am only putting $500 down. Am I getting totally ripped off? They say there is no penalty to pay it off earlier. Should I go out and look at the new ones or go with this. I won't trade in our old Chewy Caprice '89 since we love it and it has an awesome engine and is fully paid off. It would be a waste to trade her in.

What do you think? Help!

Yours truly,

Jeep lover
    I came across a page that shows the proper gear ratios, how to calculate your actual speed with larger tires, etc..

http://www.4lo.com/geartable.html

tsjay - The way they show to calculate my speed with the 33's is shown there. That lines up almost exactly with what the GPS told me too.
    I was having a CRI the other night when I was calculating how far off your speedometer should be. I was right in thinking that it was simply a ratio of the tire circumferences for the 33" vs. the 30." The trouble was that I was thinking of the wrong formula for circumference.

Circumference is just pi times diameter, which I have known since grade school. During my CRI the other night, however, I was thinking circumference was pi times diameter SQUARED. This would mean that the difference in gong up 3" on you tire diameter would have been much greater than it really is.

Sorry! I'm embarassed. It was just that darn CRI!

( Cranial-Rectal Inversion, or head up my a__ )

tsjay

Have you taught your Jeep geometry today?

Who was the roundest Knight at the Round Table?

Sir Cumference of course!
  • boggleboesboggleboes Member Posts: 8
    To pay 25000. + for a used Wrangler is nuts! Go buy a brand new Sahara for less than that. This dealer is doing a number on the numbers. Good luck
    Alexandra:

It sounds like they are playing the "payment" game with you. What the heck is the actual price that they are actually trying to sell you the Jeep for?

You can look up the average retail price for a used Jeep right here in Edmunds (if the 2000's are listed yet) or in kelleybluebook.com. I know that kelleybluebook.com has the 2000's listed, cause I used their site to get the trade-in value of my 2000 Grand Prix GT.

New Jeeps are going for $200.00 over invoice, or maybe even less. (That's what I got mine for and NO stupid extra advertising fee or anything like that- just plain invoice plus $200.00) When I say $200.00 over invoice, I mean invoice plus destination fee and then $200.00 over that: you do have to pay the transportation cost.

There are loan calculators here in Edmunds, so you can plug in the amount you are borrowing, the interest rate you will be charged, and the number of payments you want (length of the loan), and it will calculate your monthly payment.

You are in a real good situation by not having a trade-in. You will know what you are paying for the vehicle you are buying without the dealer trying to play games with your trade-in. You can do some comparison shopping this way.

Just use my Jeep for an example. Mine is a 2001 Sport with the hard top, five speed transmission, deep tinted windows, 30" canyon tire option (including the Dana 44 rear end), the subwoofer speaker option and CD player, the 25D package, cruise control, air conditioning, and maybe a few other little things. The retail sticker price was $23,870.00. I got it for $23,560.70 OUT THE DOOR, which means including sales tax and license and all. We pay 5.4% of sticker price here in KY as sales tax, which was $1288.98 in my case.If you take the tax off the $23,560.70, that means I actually paid $22,271.72 for the Jeep. I actually paid even a little less than that, because the license fee and the paper work fee that all dealers charge would come off of that $22,271.72. I probably actually paid around $22,100.00 for a Jeep that stickered at $23,870.00.

So, Alexandra, just check around and do you homework. Remember that you can buy a BRAND NEW pretty nicely equipped Sport for right at $22,000.00. AND FOR PETE SAKES DON'T LET THEM TALK PAYMENTS! MAKE THEM TALK TO YOU IN TERMS OF SELLING PRICE AND MAKE THEM EXPLAIN ANYTHING THEY TRY TO CHARGE YOU OTHER THAN SELLING PRICE, TAX, AND LICENSE!

Good luck. Holler if you need any help. This is a pretty knowledgeable and friendly group of people here, who will be glad to help you.

tsjay

I agree with boggleboes. $25,200 for a used wrangler? Don't talk monthly payments. Talk the price of the Jeep. Don't listen to their how much can you afford a month or I can get you in this Jeep for this much a month.
    Remember the salesman is there only to screw you. If they can't talk to you about how much the total price of the Jeep is, go somewhere else.
    Jeeps retain their value real well so it can be hard to get a good deal on a used one.
    I think you got ripped off when someone sold you the chewy caprice also. It sounds like an imitation. :)
    Feel free to run any deals past us again. It is easy to get a new Jeep at invoice or just over.
    Welcome back! We missed you.

Hope you'll be posting often now.

How's that beautiful red Wrangler doing? Don't let no gators eat her out there in the Glades!

Glad you're back. Keep us posted on your Everglades adventures.

tsjay

P.S. Guess what happened during your long absence? This old boy finally did it! I got me a Jeep! Remember all of my posts asking about Jeeps and complaining about being so far upside down on my Grand Prix that I just couldn't see a way to get a new Jeep?
    Check her out:

• l30011l30011 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much, I appreciate your friendly advice and I will keep on looking. I think I have a new name for the Chevy now too... I'll just call her Chewy.
  • jeffer2jeffer2 Member Posts: 35
    Hello All,
    It's Jeffer2 again with a couple more questions about Wranglers. I like to know as much as possible before going to shop for any major purchases.
    1. Are Wranglers a likely target of car thieves?
    2. Someone mentioned the factory sub woofer - is this something that could be added later fairly easily? It's mounted in the console right?

Finally a general car question. I was browsing some of the other forums. I read the Pontiac Aztec is a dismal sales failure. What happens to all the new vehicles that don't sell? Car crushers, rental fleets? Just curious. They should've based the Aztec design more on the PG or Grand Am. No wonder GM is laying worker off and phasing out Oldsmobile.
    Thanks for your help - Jeffer2
  • dpage35925dpage35925 Member Posts: 45
    Someone was asking me yersterday how many valves my jeep 4.0L engine has. I beleive it's 2 per cylinders and my friend tought it might be 4.
    Who knows?

A. 2 per cylinders
    B. 4 per cylinders
    C. Non of the above
    D. All of the above

Dennis
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    2 Valves per cylinder, no top end, but plenty torquey!
    Out of all the cars I've ever stolen, not one was a Wrangler. Seriously, I don't think they are any more of a target than any other vehicle, and maybe even less so than most vehicles.

I recommend the subwoofer unless you plan to beef up your sound system with some after market equipment. I like to just keep everything factory, which, for one thing, makes theft less likely. The factory subwoofer is only an 8", if I'm not mistaken, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the difference it made. I had test driven Wranglers that did not have the subwoofer, and the radio was an absolute joke. Turn the base all the way up, and you'd swear you were listening to a radio with the base turned all the way down! I ordered the subwoofer in hopes of having at least a sub-mediocre radio, but that thing actaully sounds pretty decent.

Now, if you are going to upgrade or replace your stereo with after market stuff, then, of course, there's no need in spending extra for the factory subwoofer. Since I wasn't planning on any upgrades, it was WELL worth the extra $200.00 to me to get the subwoofer.

Hope this helps.

tsjay
    I have updated Thelma Jane's page to include a "sex crimes" section. I tell the story of how the first two dealers I went to tried to rape me, and how nicely I was treated by the third dealer, where I bought Thelma.

I give all the details on the deal, right down to the penny, and I have included a sheet that lists all the options that I got and the retail cost for each. This is the factory order form with the option codes and descriptions. It looks like the window sticker, sort of. Because of this sheet, it takes a while longer to open this web page than it used to.

This may be of some help to anyone thinking about gettting a new Wrangler Sport, whether you plan to order from the factory or buy off the lot.

If you are interested:

Hope it helps someone. Anyone is welcome to email me with questions they might have..

tsjay

• jurp11jurp11 Member Posts: 8
    Im pretty new to the whole Jeep thing, ive heard many differnt things about numerous Jeeps. The thing that considered me the most was that the rollover very easy. Plus alot of liitle things like when your driving at high speeds the noise level is very bad with the soft top. These are all thinsg that concern me very much. Please help me, Ive always wanted a Jeep and been consiered about these subjects. Plus I aslo heard the newer Jeep Wrangler's are made more stable and do not flip over as easy. Please Reply
    Jeeps will not turn over if they are driven as they are intended to be driven! They have a short and narrow wheel base and a high center of gravity. This makes them very good off road vehicles, but it also means that they cannot be driven the same way you would drive a car!!!

You must slow down accordingly when cornering with a Jeep. You must also slow down and try to avoid the need for sudden swerves to avoid objects or other vehicles.

The Jeeps get a bad reputation because people try to drive them just like they would drive a car, and they end up in trouble. I would almost say that you are LESS likely to be in an accident in a Jeep, if you drive them like you are supposed to, because YOU WILL BE DRIVING SLOWER!

As far as the soft top noise, the 2001's have a four ply top that I don't think is noisy enough to be a problem. My Jeep is a hard top, but I test drove a couple soft tops at highway speeds (JEEP highway speeds, not 80 or 90 miles an hour), and I didn't think the noise was bad at all.

Hope this helps.

tsjay
  • onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    I have been driving Jeeps for many years and I can tell you that if you drive a Jeep like you do a car, there is a good chance it could get away from you. Sudden gusts of wind can throw a Jeep around on the highway, going around corners too fast can result in a spinout and possibly a rollover and driving one can be a whole new experience for you, especially if you have only driven front wheel drives cars all your life. It took my wife a while to get used to driving a Jeep, she drove front wheel drive cars all her life, but now she knows the limitations that drving a Jeep create and she loves it. Her favorite thing is the range of visibility offered by a Jeep. She can finally see over traffic. I personally feel a Jeep is a very safe vehicle. It handles well if you respect it and if you are hit in a wreck, you are not sitting at ground level like a rabbit in front of a semi.
    As far as noise is concerned, that can vary very much. We have a 1999 and 2000 Wrangler, both with soft tops and half doors. I can personaly tell you that they are very noisy on the highway. The soft top is basically an expensive tarp and after a year and 10000 miles, they start to stretch and this makes the noise even worse. Most of the noise is created by the half doors. At speeds over 65, the uppers on both Jeeps start to bow out, creating all sorts of noises and drafts. Now, if you have a soft top and full doors, the noise is considerably less, and if you have a hard top, well it is much better. Another thing, like tsjay mentioned, the new 2001 models have a 4 ply top which makes the top quieter, but if you get the half doors, then you will still have the same wind noise as the old ones at highway speeds. Half doors create most of the noise in both of my Jeeps, but I would not trade them for full doors. I love being able to take the uppers off when I take the top off. Full doors feel too much like being in a car to me and they are not fun to take on and off and try to store. I can handle the noise, but I could not handle full metal doors.
    In closing, the important part in deciding if a Jeep is right for you is to test drive several models, "hard top-soft top-full doors-half doors" and see what is right for you. And be certain to take the Jeep out for a LONG test drive, driving one in town is NOTHING like driving one on the highway. You can not tell what a Jeep is like in a 15 minute test drive, keep it a better part of the day and drive it on the highway for atleast 15-20 miles to see if the noise bothers you. Trust me, buyers remorse on a $18000 or more vehicle hurts, and no one wants to see anyone go through it. My wife and I have Jeep Wranglers as our daily drivers and would not have anything else, sure it is a love hate relationship sometimes, but I always come home to my Jeep. :) And my wife. :):)
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I admit that I'm a novice to jeeps. But I have a question: What is the purpose of the soft top? I mean, why even bother putting it on? If it's not a nice enough day to go topless, or if you just don't feel like going topless, then why not just put the hard top on? It's more protective, less wind noise, more secure, you can see better out of the rear window, etc etc. anybody else agree?
    Well here's the deal as I see it. The hard top is hard to put on. It takes at least two people. Because it weighs what? 100+lbs or so. Now say your out crusing around with your hard top off and oops a storm comes up. Well your SOL. With a soft top, it folds down nicely and one person can put it up and down in 5 min. Works out nicely. Now I have the dual top option (both hard and soft top). I leave the hard top on in the winter and the soft top in the summer. I just like being able to put the top down in the summer because I don't always have someone with me or a place to store the hard top. And I can't tell you how many days start out nice and warm but end up with an afternoon shower. Just my $.02 worth
  • chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    I know this isn't the area to talk about the XJ, but I think this affects all of us Jeepers. I just heard that the wonderful Krauts at DC are discontinuing the XJ Cherokee. Why they are doing this I'll never know. I guess they want to make sure that their new KJ (Kraut Jeep) sells well. This Jeep is a ICON as much as the wrangler! It started the whole SUV craze and led the pack for people who wanted a Great off roading SUV. Now if they can do this to the Cherokee whats stopping them from doing it to the Wrangler. Rumor has it that they WILL change the wrangler in 03 or 04. I hope they dont make it another "Girlie" looking Jeep as they did w/ the Cherokee.

So everyone, bow your heads with a moment of silence and pay your respects to a the Jeep that started the SUV craze.....
    Long Live the XJ!!
  • jsb32jsb32 Member Posts: 1
    I can give you a great reason why a hard/soft top combination makes sense - Pittsburgh weather.

It can rain at a moment's notice. It can be nice at a moment's notice. It's great to be able to have the "quick change" option of the soft top for the 3 seasons of the year here where it can be nice enough to take the top down, yet not get drenched 2 hours later when the skies open up.

However, starting last month, we haven't been above freezing and we've gotten a mix of snow and ice that seems would be tolerated better with a hard top. Plus, I've always had a feeling that the hard top would be a little less drafty in the really cold weather.

At least that's the way I'm leaning. I haven't ordered my TJ yet (Monday's the day), and I've pretty much decided on the dual top option.

I'm still a bit confused on the ABS option. I can see the value of ABS during the winter here, but I would rather not get ABS if it precludes me from getting the upgraded Dana44 axle options. This TJ will be replacing a VW Golf that has done great for 10 winters without ABS - I just faithfully put my Blizzak's on in November.

Any opinions from others out there who live in the snow/ice belts?

Thanks in advance,
    -Jeff
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Well, here are my reasons for only getting the soft top. Sparx only came with a soft top. But more than that, I loved the idea of being about to go topless at a moments notice. And then, when the weather gets bad all of a sudden(which seems to happen a lot), I can easily put the soft top back up. I wasn't going to get the dual top option because I didn't really feel like paying that much. What's the point? Think about this: you're on the trail in a hard top cause it's pretty cold. Somehow you roll over and your beautiful Jeep is on it's back. I don't think that fiberglass hard top is going to stand a chance if that ground includes some rocks and you roll over with some momentum. Same is true if you're in an accident. The soft top isn't going to shatter if something like that happens. With the choice of only one top, I'm glad I chose the soft top, even in 15 degree weather, it isn't bad with the Jeep's amazing heater it has. Well, those are just my thoughts.

Alee and Sparx
    http://sparx.muddyyellowjeep.com
    Congratulations! Glad to hear that you are ready to place that order.

Now talk dirty to us! Give us all the details: color, Sport or SE, auto or 5-speed, etc.

Like you said, the ABS would be nice, but it was more important to me to get the canyon wheels/30" tires/Dana 44 option, which is not available with ABS.

I went with the hard top only on my Jeep. It has not been hard to heat the cabin in my Jeep in this cold weather. I'm in western KY, and we went for about three weeks with the temperatures never up to the freezing mark (we finally got there yesterday). I never had trouble staying warm.

Before you sign the dotted line, you might want to look at the deal I got, the details of which are included (right down to the penny) on my Jeep's web page. I'm not saying that I got the all time best deal in history or anything, but I sure learned that it pays to shop around! You might benefit from my experience.

Once again, congrats on the Jeep.

tsjay