Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Spectra Paint Quality?

2»

Comments

• princessmelissprincessmeliss Member Posts: 19
    I am helping organize this, but it's another woman who is keeping tabs. I just forward her any information I get and some people email her directly. If you would like you can find our email addresses in previous posts and get a hold of us that way.

Thanks,

Melissa
  • determined26determined26 Member Posts: 1
    Aloha Everyone,
    I also have a black 2008 spectra5 purchased in december 07. In march 08 my paint started to bubble on the hood, rear hatch, door trims and roof. I went to the kia dealer and was told that it was bird droppings that took the paint off my car and of course it's not covered in the warranty! Unbelievable response, I am now trying to go through the Hawaii Lemon Law and I guess I'll see what happens there. Ultimately I dont even want the car anymore which is really unfortunate because I really like the car, just not lying and deceptive KIA employees!!!! Has anyone thought of a class action lawsuit?
  • oldsman4oldsman4 Member Posts: 8
    Oh my gosh, I have been searching and Ive got the EXACT car- 2008 Spec5, and I have got spots all over the top and hood where the paint starts to crack in a circle and then "boils" off to the primer when the car sits out in the heat. The spots are one eighth of an inch in diameter and are popping up out of nowhere. Dealer says its an outside caustic chemical that got on it. Its either in my garage or at work. What can we do? Now, I dont even want it repainted- how long will that last? Any help would be appreciated.
  • knowbtr42knowbtr42 Member Posts: 8
    You will go to KIA and they will tell you its your fault. Then if you try to talk to a factory rep you might get a response like I did. He told me he decides whats covered & what isn't. He said I must be driving on gravel roads and it is from rocks hitting the car. I work in Providence same place for 8 years, my old car didn't have a scrath on it. Last I checked I95 was a paved highway. KIA does not honor the warranty plain and simple.I was going for the Mass Lemon Law then my father took ill and passed away. I missed the timefram to file so I'm screwed. Tell everyone KIA does not help their owners they blame us for owning the damn car. The paint loss seems to have reached its pinnacle about 6 months ago. I guess I must have stayed out of those gravel pits..lol Oh don't be surprised if you have windshield probelms and your tires won't be worth anything in 8 months. Due to the design if the car if a feather brushes against it kia tells you its pitted badly and thats proof of your paint problem...lol They have all the answers. Spread the word. Put a sign in the car window when its parked and say KIA doesn't honor the warranty.
    Yep, got the same story. Called Kia Customer service and same 'ol song and dance- its not our fault- its your fault you spilled "caustic chemicals" on your car. Not to mention the spots of BURNED paint are not even close whatsoever to the pattern of a spill. I must have strategicly spilled it in my sleep when I was at the nuclear power plant maintence shed. I was fortunate enough to purchase it from a corp dealership that has a support entity as opposed to a private dealer that can not be held accountable for their actions. I think Im in for a fight, but a year from now I wont have any paint left. I just dont think Its my responsibility to repaint a year old car from a man defect. Anyone else have problems with black Spec5's?
  • kenomankenoman Member Posts: 1
    I got the same message from my Kia dealer, my car has 30,000km. My wife noticed spots on the hood of the car, so I washed it with the hose and found the car hood, fenders, and roof covered in chips. My car has also have a chronic problem with wheel speed sensor (each side has been replaced at least 3 times each) and now the O2 sensor is acting up, it was replaced Jan /09, then again July 24/09 and 6 days later the light came on again for it. Needless to say, my car has been in the shop no less than 15 times in the 2 years I've owned it. The last time it was in I asked them to look at the paint chips, and dealer took a towel and wiped off the hood and the windshield. After scrubbing the windshield he called me out to look, he pointed out 2-3 spots on the windshield barley visible to the naked eye that had a "possible" chip. He then added that all the chipping on my car was the result of stones. I told him that 95% of my driving is in the city under 60kms an hour on paved streets, he said it could happen anywhere. I have 2 other vehicles, 2004 Dodge Van 50,000kms no chips, 2000 Dodge Dakota 180,000kms no chips both are my highway vehicles.
    I'm going to try taking my car to 3 paint shops and get their professional opinion and start the fight from there.
  • debora1debora1 Member Posts: 2
    My Spectra 5 2007( I bought this car new) is chipping the painting showing circular white primer in a 20.000 miles. The dealership said that is normal, said those are stone, he came with a paper tape to remove more of my car painting, of course he can not remove a car painting with a paper tape, just so irritating. Then, he use a pen to show me 3 stone chipping that my windshield to prove those were stone chipping were the cause of my car peeling off ,very cheap painting work.

I drove much older cars much more intensively than this one and never saw this chipping so quickly like that. Spectra is a nice car, but when I am planning to sell this car, my car esthetically is going to look horrible.
  • debora1debora1 Member Posts: 2
    My Kia 07 Spectra 5 I drive like you, I am having the same problem. It is unacceptable
    Had the dealer inspect it and the rep could not deny that it was NOT outside influence. Ive got little bumps, squiggly lines, and all kinds of wierd shaped bumps coming up from undernieth the paint besides the burn holes where the paint is missing. He even said that it looked like something was under the paint, but their solution was for ME to pay 200$ of the 850.00 estimate and they would fix it. Um, well if the car was out of warranty and it was goodwill that would be fine. Not when its under warranty. Isnt that what the warranty is for? In case there is a man problem painting the car? Sounds to me like there is. Look at this thread! Just very frustrated to pay 17K for a car and have to repaint it a year later.
  • jenaejenae Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    I have a RED 2005 Kia Spectra 5. I bought it brand new. My first new car ever. Of course I take very good care of it. About 1 1/2 years ago I notice the paint on the back fin was starting to have little bubbles in it. I called the dealership and they asked me to bring it in so their service manager could look at it. I did and he said that it was outside the paint warranty time and they wouldn't pay to fix it. But if I wanted to get a new part it would be about $300 for them to order and install it. Well, I didn't go that route and now I'm glad I didn't. Because now it's almost all over the back of the car. Any metal part on the back hatchback has paint peeling and bubbling on it. So far only the back of the car is having this problem, but who knows what it will look like in another 1 1/2 years. Other than the peeling paint my car looks immaculate. No dents, no scratches, nothing. It makes me so sad. I can't believe there hasn't been a paint recall on this! :sick:
    Mine is a 2007 and the paint in the front (entire front) same thing. All these years, 3 dealerships and the same thing, no coverage. The latest excuse I got was they don't honor the paint warranty in New England because there is too much road debris. I guess they shouldn't sell Kia's in New England. Be careful with your in cabin air filter (behind the glove box) that can also cause water to build up in your dash board.

Good luck and do what I plan on doing, next time buy a Hyundai.
  • truckyoyotruckyoyo Member Posts: 5
    I bought a white 2009 Spectra in Nov of 2009, and already have a battle zone of spots all over my car. The dealer that i got the car from said my spots were from the color being white, then said from bird poop, then from tree sap, and finally from the sun`s heat and rays. The Kia rep said that they were from chemical burns and best yet, told me to turn it in to my insurance company.......Isn`t he telling me to commit insurance fraud? What kind of company is this...We work hard for our money, they sell us a car that they know is damaged. Let`s try to get them out of this country.
    I just got a white 2009 Spectra and the same problem is happening with mine, so color isn`t a factor here, and it seems neither is the year. I was told by the rep to file with my insurance co........that`s insurance fraud........WHAT A GEM OF A COMPANY.......
    In regards to the paint problem, -.I have a white 09 with the same mess showing up all over.what state do you live in, and could you give me the number of the rep that told you that kia is aware of the problem? I live in Iowa and the rep that I talked to, said that they were chemical burns.........any help you can give, will be greatly appreciated.
    I was reading your post about the paint problems.I have an 09 Spectra that`s white. Same problems as the other people here have. Roof, hood trunk and side panels. Have you gotten anywhere with this matter. My Kia rep said no dice to coverage being honored Chemical burns are what they are calling it. Any help, will be greatly appreciated
    Have the same problems Mine is an 09, and white. Have you had any luck?
    Kia doesn't care. The honest answers from the service techs are that you should have bought a shield for the car the day you bought it or else you end up with a car that is peeling and the windshield will be pitted in record time. It is the poor paint and glass quality that cannot take normal driving conditions let alone New England. They told me Kia would never cover paint in New England because of winter salt use etc. Then why do they sell cars in New England??? They couldn't answer that, we are all screwed by KIA, spread the word. And Insurance won't cover it.
    edited December 2010
    It's not just a New England problem. I bought mine here in Texas in June of 2005 and it rarely snows here (2-3 days a year). It's a paint problem. They obviously don't want to accept responsibility for it so are blaming everything else. So far mine is still just in the back of the car, unfortunately it looks awful. Still immaculate other than the paint. So sad there's nothing being done about this when so many people are having this same paint problem. Has anyone gotten anywhere with Kia on this?
  • buffie5buffie5 Member Posts: 1
    Looks like I have the same problem as many others. After a small chip on the front bumper the paint began chipping off and further cracking like a boiled egg being peeled. I questioned it with the dealership only to be told it wasn't covered under the warrenty. I was given a referral to a local paint shop to get an estimate and also told they might not be able to fix the problem. I would most likely have to replace the entire bumper! In addition I have numerous chips on the hood as well. I love the car but doubt I'd ever get another Kia. I live in North Carolina so the problems can't be road salt or freezing temperatures! I'm about ready to peel off all the paint and go with an unpainted black bumper!
    I agree with you. I love how my little car zips around and has alot of power. But I won't buy another Kia because of the paint issue. I think it's sad when you have a new car and take really good care of it that you are stuck with peeling paint. I could understand it if the car was 10+ years old or if it was always parked in the sun and never washed. But not when it's parked in a garage or carport most of the time and less than 5 years old. I can't belive there isn't some kind of paint recall or class action suit against Kia yet for this. A new paint job isn't cheap. :(
  • kkelleykkelley Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Spectra with silver paint. Front bumper paint has crackling spots all over. Rear bumper is dulled and feels like sandpaper. The trim pieces on both sides have no paint left on them. The left side view mirror has no glossiness left at all, yet the right side mirror is fine. The trim was where it started and KIA told me there was nothing they could do. The bumpers started showing some decline in 2009 and now look really bad. I keep my cars a long time so I will probably get them re-done. It is a shame KIA doesn't address the paint issue. We are free advertising for them and shoddy paint on the vehicles doesn't make them look good.
  • nataliemott21nataliemott21 Member Posts: 1
    they took and feel in the spots with paint where it was chipping.
  • 05kiaspec05kiaspec Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 kia spectra black and have no paint issues at all. My car has set out in the sun with no protection at all does not seem to be a problem yet. I actually am pleased with my car overall. Now it has had a few problems like the instrument cluster stopped working,and the passenger airbag weight sensor under the seat quit working. All fixed in a timely manner and with great service in my experience they stand behind their product. i drive my car rough and everything that has broke rather it be my fault or a defect they have always fixed it. Actually that was one of the reasons why I was entertaining the idea of buying another.
  • 05kiaspec05kiaspec Member Posts: 2
    my 05 spectra paint is in great condition and has always set out in the sun and went extended amounts of time without a car wash. I was thinking everybody who is having that problem should look at their v.i.n and see where they were manufactured maybe there is a factory that needs upgrading.
    But also on that note i feel kia has a good warranty and they stand by it i have been to the dealership forve been i turned a corner way to fast and hit the ditch. It bent my rim so i put the spare on next day bought a new rim witch was slightly different than the orginall (but it dont matter cause it gets covered with the hub cap) A couple months later car started shifting really hard into second gear then started to leak transmission fluid. took it to kia they replaced my seals. A week later it started leaking again and more, Kia replaced seals and rebuilt the front axel that feeds into the transmission. NExt day fluid everywhere by this time i was annoyed but took it to them this time they noticed the rim asked if it had been wrecked i said no, they said that they were tired of working on it and told me they were going to replace the entire transmission. All done at no cost to me they gave me a rental,and when i got mine back it was full on gas washed and detailed. since them not a bit of trouble out of it