Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Matrix Transmission Problems

Comments

• matrixedmatrixed Member Posts: 2
    I had my output bearing replaced last week. Looking at the bearing and the exploding view of the transmission and speaking with an insider the following is observed:
    The bearing has a metal shield covering the balls on one side, on the other side it is held in to the transmission housing. The question is how is oil possibly getting into the bearing. It seems to be isolated from the oil. I am impressed that it actually worked so well for 63,000 miles. It must be a good quality bearing to have lasted this long without proper lubrication. We can only guess at this time how Toyota redesigned this flaw, but I am certain it has to do with making sure oil can reach the bearing. My feeling is that my bearing will last another 63,000 miles......
  • saltzpsaltzp Member Posts: 6
    I have an '04 Matrix XR and the transmission just locked up on me at 160,000 miles. Just like the other stories, noise under the hood that couldn't be located, rattling, and then today the high pitched whine and the sound of metal grinding. $3500 for a new transaxle and clutch. I'm going to print out all these posts and take them to the dealer. this has been a great car. the only problem until now has been that it goes through tires...but when you drive 40k miles/year....
    I'm up for going after Toyota...sign me up
  • saltzpsaltzp Member Posts: 6
    If you go to Toyota.com, do a site search and find "contact us. On the right you will see a link to "email us" This is what I just sent them. Everyone needs to do it.

pf_flyer, "Matrix Transmission Problems" #1, 11 Jul 2006 8:32 am

I, (along with many others) have had our manual transmissions FAIL at various mileages. I have driven manual transmission cars my whole life (I'm 50)and have NEVER had a transmission FAIL COMPLETELY. I have had to replace clutches but that's it. Apparently this is a major problem that Toyota will not acknowledge. I can assure you that if I am not given some satisfaction by Toyota over this problem that you have known about for some time, two things will happen. First, I will never buy another Toyota. Second, I will be sure to relate my (and everyone elses) misfortune in every conversation where the subject of automobles comes up. This is horrendous. $3800 to replace the transaxle and clutch? Please copy and paste the link above and see all the complaints.
  • folly999folly999 Member Posts: 2
    Aside from the transmission problems, the Matrix is a great car. I liked the style, handling, utility, space, and fuel economy. But all that means Jack if your transmission doesn't work.

At 157,000 km / 98,125 miles, my transmission is dead. The dealership that I purchased the car has quoted C$ 5,400 for the repair of the transmission. Which is absolutely ridiculous. I hit every serive point and did exactly what was recommended by the manufacturer.

I have brought this issue up with Toyota and am hoping that they will pay for some or all of the repair. In the event they don't, I am going to pursue other means such as small claims court and get as much exposure to this problem as possible. :lemon:
  • folly999folly999 Member Posts: 2
    Do you have any other technical information regarding the bearings wearing out? I am considering taking Toyota Canada to small claims court as the bearing in my transmission have worn out as well and I would like to assemble as much technical information as possible regarding this problem.
  • marjomarjo Member Posts: 28
    Well. I posted that I'd like to get rid of my Matrix with its brand new transmission at 83K km... and I did! Sold a base model 2003 for $9300 to a guy who is convinced that Toyotas are great cars and he isn't worried about the transmission. I now have a brand new 2008 Honda Fit LX ... AND am getting $1000 from Transport Canada from the EcoAuto rebate. After about 15min of driving this car, though it is a little smaller than the Matrix, about a foot shorter, it is MUCH nicer. Drives and shifts more smoothly. Has a/c, ABS, side airbags, cruise, power locks and windows for the same price as a base Matrix, $17,380Cdn MSRP.

By the way, my Matrix sat for about 2 months, which I'm sure didn't help the oil not getting to the bearing. The mechanic at Clark Toyota, Fredericton acually ASKED ME if it had sat, like as if he was fully familiar with the issue. You have to talk to mechanics willing to talk about the design of this transmission to get the details. Obviously Toyota changed it in 2005 knowing there was a problem. Recalls would have never happened because they would have had to replace every transmission AND engine since the 2005 transmission doesn't work with the 2003/4 engine. Still not sure why the VIBE doesn't seem to have the same complaints in forums. Built in California not Ontario, but should have the same parts shouldn't it??
    Call Toyota Canada first to file a complaint. THen call teh dealer you bought it from and they can help to get teh cost reduced under Good Will program. Being at 157K already could be a problem. Mine was only 82K and they covered 60%. If Toyota Canada trys to claim that they have had no other complaints, they're lying. I filed one in Oct.
  • jamesimcbjamesimcb Member Posts: 13
    I also filed a complaint in October...Toyota has never heard of this problem. LOL :mad:
    The Vibe has the identical drive train. They are both shipped from Japan i believe. The Vibe has the exact same problem as the matrix. Coincidentally, the transmission shop that I took my car to was working on 2 vibes while my trixie was there.
  • larrystmlarrystm Member Posts: 2
    I spoke too soon, the tranny is bad. I'm not sure but AAMCO just called me to tell me the clutch and bearing are good. Checked the tranny and its inside it. He is checking on prices and I have called the dealership too. Crossing my fingers but knowing its gonna cost me..
  • red911red911 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2005 Matrix XR FWD, automatic yesterday. I have the option of buying an aftermarket warranty from Great Lakes Warranty Company. Cost is $1300 for 4 yrs, unlimited mileage. It isn't quite bumper-to-bumper, but it's close.

I wasn't going to do it because I bought a Toyota! They are supposed to be as good as my old beater Hondas that I've driven to 200K miles and never had to do anything to but brakes and exhaust.

What do y'all think? Get the warranty? It's going to raise payments $30/mo for 60 months.

Have you seen problems in the 2005 and newer cars?

And, by the way, I sympathize with everyone here. I bought a used 2002 MINI Cooper and the tranny went out 4wks after I bought it, 34K miles. $4000 repair. MINI was as pathetic as Toyota. "Oh we never heard of that before" even though I found as many posts about that tranny as you have on your 2003-04 trannys. WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MINI even though they also upgraded their transmissions (hmmm... wonder why they needed to upgrade if there wasn't a problem???)

Shannon
  • matrixmamatrixma Member Posts: 3
    I also just bought an '05 last Friday 12/07. I did get the aftermarket warranty, just because it seemed to be more "bumper to bumper" and after a year of seeing my mechanic far too often with my other car, I wanted the security. Hope it wasn't a mistake! My BF thought I was a sucker, as the '05 is Toyota Certified. I was a bit bummed that it boosted my payments to just over $200. when I wanted them less, but did it anyway. I look fwd to hearing feedback here from others.
  • kev15kev15 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay...I guess it's too late for you now, and I'm in Ottawa at the moment w/o the car so I don't have the part number. I had the service done at aToyota dealership in BC, and they showed me the tranny once they had it apart...I don't know much about transmissions but it was obvious that there was something wrong with the one bearing (output bearing apparently). The dealer quoted me $30 or $40 for the bearing and after seeing it, it was clear that there wasn't much to it. Anyway, Toyota sold be the bearing for $40 so that should be the absolute most you should pay for it. I was lucky, it hadn't blown all apart so nothing else needed replacing...sorry I can't be more help.
    The bearing may be $40 but how much was the labor to remove the transmission. And of course you need a press to remove the bearing which is typically something you need to go to a transmission shop for. And why is it that Toyota dealers are typically recommending new transmissions when all that it needed is a new bearing? TOYOTA MATRIX 5 SPEED = JUNK
    TOYOTA NEVER AGAIN!
  • kev15kev15 Member Posts: 3
    ....agreed. Unfortunately for Toyota they have an opportunity to admit to, and rectify, this particular problem. If they did my recommendation of the company to others would remain positive (I realize that even a company like Toyota can design some poor components....often it's not the initial problem, its how it is handled, which in this case seems to be absolute [non-permissible content removed] (denial)). Too bad, I guess they don't put too much stock in word of mouth.
  • screaminyellowscreaminyellow Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Just got our matrix back from the dealer. The biggest problem we had was getting the warranty company to sign off on the repair. The dealer got on the repair pronto as soon as they ok'd it. However the service people at the dealer were impossible to get a hold of, so didn't know what was going on with the car. Took a week and a half. Now the transmission won't click into gear , reverse to forward, without double clutching. So will take it back to have adjustment made. Hope they can fix it.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    bought an '05 XRS with 35k on it 3 weeks ago and got the Toyota factory warranty extension to 7 yrs./100k for $1,095, a decent price for fairly complete coverage. On the CPO program you only get 3 mos./3k miles of equivalent coverage.

Any aftermarket exclusionary service contract (covers only named parts) should be viewed with extreme caution; aftermarket "bumper-to-bumper" contracts slightly better. Remember that these are not warranties, this can really matter if you have a major failure, as I'm dealing with now on another brand of car.

jc
  • car_guy_5car_guy_5 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2008 Matrix XR with 5spd. Love the car. I think the reports of manual transmission problems are unusual. Same drive train as the Corolla and no reports of problems with the stick there. Also, Consumer Reports would highlight a widespread problem like some people are asserting. Worldwide the 1.8L Toyota engine/transmission combination is hugely popular. Wikipedia states that the 1.8L in the Matrix/Vibe (2ZZ-FE) was installed in the following:

Toyota Corolla
    Chevrolet Prizm
    Pontiac Vibe
    Toyota Matrix
    Toyota Avensis
    Toyota Wish
    Toyota MR2

I have a 2001 MR2 Spyder with 73k miles. That engine is a slight variant (2ZZ-FED) and built in Japan. Not sure if the trans is the same due to the rear mount of the engine.

At any rate, no manufacture makes a 100% perfect product every time. There are some risks involved. The testament to Toyota quality is the cost of the exteneded warranty. I declined the coverage, but was offered a 6yr/100k mile Toyota Platinum warranty for $615 (Additionally, they would have knocked off some of the processing fee to bring the cost closer to $450).

Bottom line - the 5 speed is the most economical way to go. You save $1000 off the bat in MSRP, you get a heavier discount out the door because nobody wants a stick except me, and you'll get about 3 mpg better real world mileage (that's about $750 over a 100,000 mile period. I bought my 2008 Matrix XR (Moonroof, ABS, all power + cruise) with 282 miles on the odo due to dealer transfer (MD to VA) for 15.5k (stickered at 18.9k). So, in my experience I'll save nearly $3000 vs the comperable automatic over the first 100k miles (resale isn't that important to me because I'll drive it into the ground). So if the tranny goes, then it will be a wash, but since I like stick better (Slush boxes are boring) I still come out ahead.

Try to beat that with a Toyota Scion XD (made by Daihatsu by the way).

For me the Vibe was the best combination of sport, economy, and interior volume. I'll post more as I build miles on the odo.
  • honeybee_ehoneybee_e Member Posts: 1
    I just had the clutch in my '03 Matrix XRS replaced at only 70K miles. Some people tried to tell me this was reasonable??! Used to be a Toyota would run for over 100,000 miles before a major repair like this was necessary. At least that was the case with both my mother's '84 Camry and my father's '80 truck (both ran for almost 200,000 miles with only one clutch replacement and no transmission replacements). I called Toyota USA at 800-331-4331 and was told they haven't received enough complaints at this time to warrant any kind of notice or recall and that since I didn't have my repairs done at the dealership (because they wanted 2 - 3 times the money) they could not provide any kind of compensation to me. I'm ready for a class action suit! :mad:
  • car_guy_5car_guy_5 Member Posts: 3
    Clutch life expectancy will depend on the driving style of the driver plus the type of driving you do (i.e., how often you use the clutch). In city driving you can expect less life expectancy for your clutch - similar to any wear item such as your brake pads and rotors. 70k miles is a good life expectancy for a clutch. If you exceed 100k miles you should be ecstatic. I have a 96 Tercel with 211k miles with the original clutch. The car has been used mainly on the highway for commuting - so it stays in 4th gear most of the time (it's a 4-speed manual). I still grin from ear to ear when I break 40 mpg at fill up.

Even the Toyota Platinum extended warranty doesn't cover clutch friction disc and pressure plate. So if you are that concerned with a clutch wearing out - then you should buy an automatic transmission. Automatic transmissions cost more ($1000), get less mpg (about 3 in this car), are slower, and are no fun.

If you want to save more money - you could learn to change the clutch yourself. For example, you can replace your brake pads for about $50, but a shop will charge you $300. I have never heard of anyone filing for a class action suit for brake pads wearing out.

You need to have realistic expectations. Toyota cannot defy the laws of physics. For perspective, I was in the Toyota dealership recently and a womon was having the automatic transmission in her Sequoia replaced at 80k miles on her dime (likely didn't change fluid and filter regularly). So a clutch is a much lower expense than replacement of an automatic transmission.

I hope your mileage has otherwise been trouble free in the Matrix. We just broke 500 miles on the car and love it!
  • gutloadedgutloaded Member Posts: 4
    Ok, so after speaking with Toyota USA, the rep I was talking to said the best chance of making a recall happen for the crappy transmission issues is to file complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Toyota US does not accept complaints regarding mechanical failure after expiration of warranty, or so the guy told me. Lame.

I filed a complaint. If you purchased your Matrix in the US, and your tranny blew on you at ANY point, you should file a complaint too. Once the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration receives enough complaints, they'll begin an investigation. If enough proof of faulty transmissions is found, then they'll either ask or force Toyota US to issue a recall.

Here's the website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    Hello, just got a 2008 matrix automatic. Has 80 miles on it now. When I put the car into reverse, I sometimes hear a slight rattle/metal pinging coming from the engine area. This is when I just start to release the break and the engine starts to idle a bit higher right before moving. I am not sure what this is or if I just need to break the engine in? Anyone have a clue. It comes and goes.
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    I noticed that the noise will come and go. It is hard to duplicate. It sounds like muffler is making the rattle noise.Coming from center area right before the muffler bends into the engine ( I think). It will only hapen when the car is in reverse, e break down, with the break pressed and rpms drop to below 1000. I looked at the engine mounts that are within sight and they all look fine. Is this just me or has anyone else had this when the car was going thru the break in period. I can not imagine it is tranny either.
  • fllfll Member Posts: 1
    Like many others, I too have fallen victim to the manual transmission 03 Matrix.
    I bought mine in Oakland, California in April 2003. At 65,300 miles, the transmission broke down due to bearing failure, preceded by the now-infamous grinding sound when in gear and letting off the gas.

Good news: dealer goodwilled all parts, which totaled roughly $2,000. Bad news: I paid for labor, which came to $2,300. From what I can tell, based on how many other people have posted here regarding the same problem, I paid $2,300 more than I should have. This is clearly a defect that Toyota is hoping to sweep under the rug, which is why I decided to add to the list of posts. Power in numbers.

Will I ever buy another Toyota? Only if I get compensated for what is clearly an unjust cost. As noted by others, every car manufacturer is entitled to its share of mistakes, but to not accept responsibility for them is completely unacceptable.
    If Toyota follows through on its advertised promise of "Moving Forward", it will reimburse all costs to all Matrix owners. Short of this, I will forgo buying a Prius (my original intention) and buy Honda's soon-to-be released competitor hybrid.

Toyota: wake up.
  • roadsongroadsong Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I'm "in." I have about 73,000 on an 'O3 Matrix XRS,
    6-speed. I've suspected something wrong with the clutch or transmission since I bought it (it had just enough miles on it to be considered "used"). It came with a "certified warranty." In other words I bought it from a dealer. I had a bunch of trouble with the dealer and stopped taking it there for service quite awhile back. I haven't had the problem officially diagnosed but am pretty sure that it's something with the clutch on it's last legs. Thanks for the info re: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
    Another Toyota? Not likely.
  • matrixixmatrixix Member Posts: 1
    Yet another blown clutch on a too-young Matrix. This is a 2004 XRS with only 52,000 EASY miles. I am definitely filing a complaint with NHTSA and with Toyota USA. Not sure how I'm going to react if TUSA tells me they have no record of this being a common problem. :sick: :lemon:
  • nomoretoyotanomoretoyota Member Posts: 1
    You can add my 2004 Toyota Matrix to the list of manual transmissions that "went out." Yes, I had 120K miles on the car, but I'm told by certified Toyota mechanics that the transmission (with mostly highway miles) should have lasted much longer. My mechanic has seen 2 bad transmissions now, one in a Corolla with only 45K miles. No more Toyotas for me.
  • jmelynn316jmelynn316 Member Posts: 2
    My Matrix has 76K on it, which I bought used a little under a year ago. It's been making a squeaking noise every once in a while, but when I press the clutch in, it went away. And there were times it wouldn't do it for weeks. This week it got worse...quick. It's now making noise when the clutch IS pressed. And it definitely isn't the same noise. This is a horrible loud almost grinding noise, and it seems to shake when I try and drive in 1st gear. I just called the Toyota dealership in my area and they are going to look at it tomorrow. I'm afraid because I am a girl, they are going to try and take advantage of me. If this is a common problem with the 03 Matrix, I need to make sure I go about this the right way. I definitely do not have thousands of $$ to be putting into a car I'm still making payments on...especially being a single mom. Can someone give me some advice on what to do??
  • upset4upset4 Member Posts: 5
    It is more than likely your transmission. Print some off this forum and go in loaded with information. Once they say transmission, Tell them you KNOW the transmissions have faulty bearings. Hopefully they will show some compassion and give you a break. Toyota isn't owing up to this and I've replaced 2 transmissions in the last year. Good luck !!!
  • filepfilep Member Posts: 3
    Burn it or have it stolen
  • badvibesbadvibes Member Posts: 2
    On Christmas 'eve 2007, my family(myself, my husband and our 7mos old child) was traveling from Walnut Cove to Statesville, NC to visit our son's grandparents. It's an easy 81 mile trip we make frequently to spend holidays with family. We were driving our newly purchased '03 Pontiac Vibe with approximately 85k miles on the vehicle. On this day nearly 3/4ths into our trip, we were traveling at a steady 70 miles per hour when my husband, who was driving, asked if i heard "that noise"? That noise being a high-pitched whining sound. Before I could answer, a loud and heavy popping sound, followed by a violent rattling, clunking sound could be both heard and felt underneath us. We quickly pulled over to the emergency lane of Interstate-40 and attempted to see what had happened. My husband could see nothing wrong under the car or beneath the hood and attempts to move the car forward met with the worst grinding, clunky sound you could imagine. We had no choice but to call for a wrecker and wait for help. It was an awful feeling being stranded on the side of I-40 in holiday traffic with your newborn baby. After 30-40 minutes the wrecker came for us, towed our car to their garage and on Christmas day presented us with a 2000.00 estimate for repairing our transmission. The transmission was removed and taken to Cortran Inc. a specialist in rebuilding manual transmissions, where it was inspected, revealing a failure in the rear pinion shaft bearing which caused the 5th gear sets to break several teeth.

The transmission was rebuilt and re-installed only to find that the 5th gear set sent by Toyota was defective and would need to be replaced. The second set of gears arrived and was installed. We were told that we could pick up our car. After a couple of days my husband drove the car and noticed that 4th and 5th gears were nearly the same. After much head scratching and a couple of calls to the repair-shop, it was discovered that Toyota had sent the 5th gear set from a 6 speed manual transmission not a 5 speed. Apparently the tech hadn't caught the lack of a difference in rpms during his test-drive. Back to the repair shop. It has been an exercise in patience.

We purchased this car because of our needs as parents for a safe, reliable, functional vehicle. Through combined research and experience my husband and I decided on this American Pontiac brand because of it's design and it's use of the time tested, well proven reliable Toyota engine and transmission. We chose a manual transmission because of fuel efficiency and again, the proven reliability of a Toyota 5-speed transmission. We felt secure purchasing this used automobile because of its low mileage, quality construction and proven drive-train, its clean Carfax report and because it's a smart, roomy car.

After the breakdown, we began researching the transmission failure and found that there are MANY complaints on various internet auto forums which mirror our failure. The transmission failure occurred in both the Pontiac Vibe and also it's sister car the Toyota Matrix at various points around 100k miles. The culprit each time is a failure in rear pinion shaft bearing, usually giving no warning before its failure usually damaging some of the gears as it spins apart.

As per advice from our NC State Attorneys office, we have filed a formal complaint with the NC State Highway Patrol and are gathering interested participants in an inquiry to have the many failures examined for possible future recall. We feel that there is a safety risk with the defective transmission bearing and consider ourselves lucky to have not been injured in the incident. We are seeking compensation for the 1927.00 incurred in repair expenses only and believe there is precedence for such a request. We are not seeking lost wages or pain and suffering or anything other than what's right and fair.

teresa blackburn :mad:
  • canonlawcanonlaw Member Posts: 20
    so you have had to replace the matrix transmission twice? or just two different toyotas? I had mine rebuilt and am nervous that maybe it may go out again. It was covered under the extended warranty the first time, but I don't want to pay for it if it goes out again. I am hoping they used the updated bearing when they rebuilt it
    As mentioned many times, the transmission is exactly the same crap as the previous one that fell apart. They cannot change to a newer version without changing the entire engine.
    You haven't read the posts clearly enough. The bad trans is in the 2003-04 models only.
  • jmelynn316jmelynn316 Member Posts: 2
    An update on my XRS...I took it into the dealership and they told me they think it's the throwout bearing, and that nothing is wrong with the transmission, but they don't know for sure until they put the news parts in. They told me they were helping me out on parts and labor, but it was still going to cost me $700. That was just the bearing. So, I was going to have a friend who is a toyota tech do the work. He plans on putting a new clutch, plate, bearing and all seals in there since the tranny will be dropped. The problem is? The plate's on NATIONAL back order until at least the 17th. Unbelievable. How can Toyota claim they have no record of these problems when the entire nation is having problems getting these parts??
  • lseydaklseydak Member Posts: 2
    When I had to have the electronic passenger window repaired after only 2 1/2 months I thought, OK, it's minor. When the catalytic converter cracked at 70K miles I thought WHEW it's still under warranty. After being told by the dealership that it was a fairly common problem with the Matrix, I resigned myself to paying the $232.00 cost of replacing the heat sheilds on the converter and the exhaust and made an appointment for this morning to have the work done. A half mile from the dealership the car "snagged" hard while I was exiting the interstate, I was able to down shift to 4th, 3rd, then slowed enough to go into 1st as I waited for a traffic signal to change. Once it turned green I went nowhere. Couldn't get into neutral, TOTAL lockup! End result.......the dealership called a few hours after my mighty Matrix was towed in and told me there had been, in the service mgrs own words, "a catastrophic occurance". The transmission was in peices. Estimate to repair the catastrophic occurance? $3,149.00!!!!! This is the 6th Toyota I've purchased for either myself or my kids.....one Corolla, one Celica, three Camrys, and now my mighty M. All were purchased because of the long standing reputation for safety and dependability. What happened? My Matrix is just NOT the caliber of Toyota I've come to know and expect. Has anyone else encountered so many problems with their Matrixes? Has anyone gained any financial assistance from Toyota? And, yes, the windows are going to have to be repaired again......thank heaven for the recall! :sick:
  • aprilchristineaprilchristine Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 matrix was making horrible noise, and went out I have less than 90,000 miles. I just got an estimate of 3700
  • canonlawcanonlaw Member Posts: 20
    I think you misunderstood my question. As I understand it, the problem with the transmission was the bearings, and Toyota has since come out with an updated bearing kit. So, if we got our transmissions fixed, and they put the new bearings in, then it shouldn't fail again.

I was wondering if your transmission has actually failed twice.
  • davidostranderdavidostrander Member Posts: 2
    How do these come off? Do I need a special tool?
    When I ordered the EBC replacement rotors they do not appear to be the same are the 4WD rotors different than the 2WD version?
  • zagy1zagy1 Member Posts: 1
    My 03 Matrix XR has a blown manual transmission at 63k miles (after only 6 months and 11 thousand miles after purchasing the car). Toyota didn't offer any help (even though it failed at only 3k beyond the power train warranty).

Now I must decide how to repair. How can I find the best deal on a used or rebuilt transmission? Is there a website that has good transmission deals? I am concerned about finding a good price but also one that comes with a good warranty as well. Any ideas?

thanks
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    You could try a recycler like this one:

http://www.taprecycling.com/inv-toyota/matrix.htm

If you can find a recent model car that was crashed, chances are very good that the transmission will be fine, and it's your cheapest price for sure. Of course, it's also not warrantied like a rebuild would be.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• badvibesbadvibes Member Posts: 2
    a used transmission is likely to have the same faulty bearing that has caused this ever growing thread. our used vibe's tranny main bearing failed at 85k taking 5th gear set with it...we came out just under 2 grand for a rebuild with only 6 mos warranty with new tranny parts. find my original post for all the gory details.
  • azureskyesazureskyes Member Posts: 1
    Man, I wish I would have found this forum sooner! I bought my 2004 Toyota Matrix XR back in 2003 brand new. I have been the only owner and only driver. I have an Automatic transmission. Back around 55,000 miles, my transmission started catching between 1st and 2nd gear. It was almost like it would stick between gears, shift hard and then any gears after that were fine when shifting. I took my car to the Toyota dealership and complained of the shifting/transmission issues. They said my transmission fluid was *dirty* and they flushed the fluid and gave it back to me. 1 week later I was driving home from work on Interstate 95 in 5 o'clock rush hour when my transmission completely went up. It locked up, hitting the gas pedal would do nothing except rev my engine. Shifting between gears made no difference. Had to get a tow to the Toyota dealer. This time they put in what they referred to as a *brand new transmission*. I was under 60K miles and therefore still under warrenty so no charges incurred. A few weeks later I was at a drive thru window when I heard a very loud noise under my hood. Took the Matrix back to Toyota dealer only for them to tell me that I had a bad bearing in my engine and they had to completely rebuild my engine. Still under 60K though and I was still under warranty. 1 year and 5 months later (2 days ago) I was driving home from work in rush hour again when my car just wouldn't shift again. I had to drive all the way home at 30 miles an hour revving out at 5,000 RPM's. Relying alot on my coasting of having an automatic and the grace of God to get me home. I made it to my condo parking lot before it burned. But it burned before I pulled into a spot. My husband had to push me in. Got another tow to the dealer. Now they are saying something *exploded* inside my transmission. I got an extended 1 year warranty when the transmission was replaced back in December of '06. 5 months out of the warranty and my tranny blew FOR A SECOND TIME. I have been fighting with the :mad: dealer for days about this!! Ahhhhhh! I too have owned Toyota's in the past and I have never had a single issue until I bought my Matrix XR
  • slowzukislowzuki Member Posts: 3
    2003 Matrix XR 5 speed

The output bearing is going, at the 95,000 km mark I asked the dealer to check the noise in the transmission and the fluid level, they said nothing was wrong. Now at 130,000 km the noise is very very loud. I found this forum and starting asking the dealer questions, the parts guy admits there are alot of failures but the services guy act like they've never heard of it.

I'm in Fredericton, NB, Canada

Tried phoning around for used trannies but the yards say, yup very familiar with this problem, sorry all our vibe, corolla and matrix trannies are sold out.

The dealer wants 600$ for the parts alone and no returns on unused pieces.

I found one used tranny a distance away but its about the same milage as mine, no guarrantee the bearing has been done.

Anyone have the updated bearing number? Anyone have an aftermarket cross number?

I'm going to call the Toyota line this afternoon but I doubt I'll get anywhere.

Sure wish I had bought the 1999 Tacoma that was next to it for the same price, would have 20,000$ in hand to spend instead.
    My advice, sell it fast. If not, get that bearing changed before it blows apart. Funny that Fredericton Toyota doesn't admit problems. I had my Matrix transmission replaced there in Oct/07. THere's an older guy at the desk, can't remember his name, he must be the manager. Tell him that you know for a fact that a Ms Laurinolli had a tranny replaced there, only 60% paid for by Toyota. Cost me $2000. He seemed to be fully aware of the bearing problem because the first question he asked was if my car had sat unused for awhile, which it had for 2mths. The bearing seized up and didn't have proper oil apparently. I thought Toyota released a bearing upgrade package or something?? Someone on here said that.
  • doobiedwdoobiedw Member Posts: 1
    Add my 2003 Matrix to the long list of trans problems. I am just over the 5 year/60k mile warranty. I had the previously described grinding noises and the dealer just quoted me $3,200 to fix. When I told him about this forum, he looked it up on the Toyota website and said they show no problems. He said this sort of half-heartedly as if this is just the company line. We have had a long history of good relationship with our dealer and he is currently looking into doing something for us with the goodwill program. I'm hoping he comes through for us. Other than this problem, the matrix has been a perfect car for me.
  • slowzukislowzuki Member Posts: 3
    I wish I could sell, no one would buy a car with a bearing noise that loud. I'll look into it but I doubt they will help since they didn't sell me the car and the warrantee is up.

Can't believe Toyota won't admit there is a problem!
  • aleonaleon Member Posts: 2
    Hi All, man I bought my toyota matrix from a coworker. In mint condition. 1 year later, I hear a spuddering or rattling sound everytime I press the gas after shifting. My heart dropped and knew it couldn't be anything simple to fix. After reading this blog I am so blown away from all this. I've had 3 toyotas in my past life and thought for sure this was going to last me a good while. I was wrong. I need either a new transmission or a rebuilt transmission. It is a bearing failure. Oh and throwing in extra cost for replacing the clutch, the price is very costly! Yeah I have over 60,000 miles on mine. I was shocked, now I'm shaking my head. BTW, Honda had a law suit against them for transmission failure between 1999-2001 or 2002.. I guess it could happen to even the most reliable vehicles!
  • dasheddashed Member Posts: 1
    It all started with service at a Toyota dealership 7 months ago.

3 days after the service ($300 overall check of the vehicle) the engine seized-apparently the radiator drained instantly with no warning. "We've never seen anything like this happen before on a Matrix"

4 days after the engine was replaced the transmission seized-apparently this was related to the engine failure. "We never see transmissions go on these vehicles."

Replaced with a used transmission by the same dealership. "We'll put in a used one for you, as we never see problems with these transmissions."

6 months later I hear a strange grinding noise. Told that my transmission needs to be replaced. "Sorry the used transmission only had 3 month warranty, we can't help you out. We never see any problems with these transmissions though. Just bad luck I guess."

Have now battled it out with the dealership and Toyota Canada. Neither of which will admit to any problem or wrong-doing. Write it off to really bad luck I guess...it was such a good car until that fateful service. Very disappointing.

Last bit of advice from the dealership "Vehicles do not become more valuable as they get older, or increase in value as their mileage increases, the cost of maintenance starts to sky-rocket and reliability and safety decreases. The point is the longer you keep your vehicle, the more it will start to cost you due to wear and tear."

Thank you to Peace Arch Toyota in Vancouver, BC for the mind-blowing advice!
  • gmoregmore Member Posts: 11
    I am just experiencing the same problems. It is not acceptable for Toyota to have an issue with their manufacturing and not deal with it. I have just sent a link of this thread to Toyota Canada and my Local Dealership - Jim Pattison Toyota North Shore. They can't say its a one off problem.

A recall must be started. To do this everyone must send an email or letter to the Ministry of Transportation. The link to his contact page is here - http://www.tc.gc.ca/minister/contact.htm.

Everyone also needs to send a link of this thread to Toyota Canada and their local dealership. Toyota prides itself on reliability and low maintenance costs - we for us it was a lie. They are tarnishing their image and word of mouth.

This is not a one off issue. This is Toyota have a known manufacturing issue and not being responsible for it.

Good luck everyone.