Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Matrix Transmission Problems

Comments

• steboczstebocz Member Posts: 2
    I just noticed rough jerky, shifting with my 2005 Tyota Matrix 4 speed automatic yesterday for the first time. Checked transmission fluid level stick immediately, but I found full level and clean color. Today I searched the internet and I found numerous notes with Matrix transmission problems. I will have the car inspected tomorrow but I'm not sure if I should go to my Toyota dealer or my independent mechanic. My Matrix has 71K miles on it. Please advise ASAP!!!!!!!!!! :sick:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The postings in this thread are related to problem MANUAL transmissions in 2003 and 2004 MY cars. I am not aware of any widely reported transmission problems among AUTOMATIC last-gen Matrixes like yours. So take heart and wait to see what the mechanic tells you. Good luck! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mjrunnrmjrunnr Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    I am thinking of getting a 2004 Matrix XRS manual with 55k miles. It is a great deal and I am buying it from a reputable repair shop. They claim it is in great shape and has many more miles in it. For comparison, I am currently driving a 1996 Civic I bought new.
    So...is 55K too many miles to be purchasing a Matrix with? Sounds like there is a good chance of the transmission going soon? This is the 6 speed, anyone know of any other persistent problems with this make/model/year?

Thanks so much in advance....
  • maturcomaturco Member Posts: 3
    See my post #228. I would not buy it without a transmission warranty through at least 100,000 miles.
  • canonlawcanonlaw Member Posts: 20
    The XRS transmission doesn't seem to have the same problems that the the base and XR 5-speeds do. The main problem with the XRS seems to be the clutch failing VERY FREQUENTLY....like every 30,000 miles or so.

I still would agree with the previous poster though, and only buy it if it has a 100,000 mile warranty on the powertrain. And if the clutch fails, put a beefier aftermarket one in it.
    The problem transmission is the 5-speed manual, not the 6-speed. The 6-speed is straight out of the Celica GT-S, and I have never read an owner complaint about that transmission except the ones who skip-shifted it by mistake (the gates are close together) and consequently blew the engine.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• keilsekeilse Member Posts: 16
    100,000 + miles...I have experienced the loud noise and the chirping oin my 5-speed. We changed the gear oil and it helped for a while, and two days ago we cannot get her into gear and it's whining loudly. I want to know what needs to be replaced: the transfer case, or the manual transaxle. Either way, it's going to be EXPENSIVE. Once I remedy this problem, can I definitely expect to have it occur again?
  • jamborskijamborski Member Posts: 7
    What year is your Matrix? I'm assuming it's a FWD since it's a 5 speed and therefore you don't have a transfer case. So unfortunately you've just joined the long list of victims of Toyota. Your Tranny is shot. I recommend putting an overhauled tranny in. I purchased one from Anaheim Gear with a one year warranty for $1,000. they say there's only a few bearing manufacturers for most trannys and Toyota must have got a bad batch installed. I don't recommend a factory new Tranny unless you know for certain that it was made recently and does not fall into that bad batch of bearings. I spent about $200 for a new clutch and other misc. parts and did all the work myself, I figure $1200 isn't all that bad, but it was a big job, especially if you only have one car like I did, I ended up buying a second vehicle so I had something to drive while I worked on the Matrix.

Good Luck getting her back to life
  • aliensurferaliensurfer Member Posts: 1
    Add us to the list of failed transmissions. 2003 Matrix 5sp. 155,000km. Dealer where we bought the car, and have had serviced faithfully - including 2 transmission fluid changes - no help whatsoever. Quoted $4000 plus tax for new transmission, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc. Asked about any sort of 'Goodwill' program to help with parts and/or labour and the only response was "It's got 155,000 and it's out of warranty - sorry."

Took the car to local transmission place and he removed the trans. and inspected. Found the output shaft bearing failed and parts of it were eaten up by a couple of the syncro's. Clutch only about 1/2 worn out. Quoted $2000 plus tax to rebuild with new syncro's and bearings and about $2500 plus tax to include clutch, etc...
    and also comes with an 18 month/unlimited mileage warranty after the rebuild.

Also asked him to use Redline MT-90 trans. fluid when finished rebuilding.

Never expected to be doing a transmission in a Toyota - especially before it would need a clutch. Most of my cars in the last 20 years have been standards and I've never even needed to do a clutch on one. Did an automatic transmission in a Bonneville last year at this time. That was not so unexpected.

I'm disgusted to say it, but we had a Neon that ended up with 230,000km on it when we got rid of it, and it never needed a new clutch or transmission. Now if you want to talk about head gaskets...
    My car is a 2003. I think the clutch is ok, but everything inside the transfer case sounds like broken chunks of metal. So you recommend buying a rebuilt one? It's a big job to install yourself and requires some pretty specific tools no? Thanks so much for the response. I appreciate it!!
    I was able to do the job with an engine hoist, a floor jack, a LARGE Breaker bar, a large torque wrench (for peace of mind) a beefy pry bar, a few jack stands a couple ratchet straps, some blocks of wood, and a basic metric socket set, including the 33mm socket for the axle nuts. (a pickle fork would have been helpful as well). I used the engine hoist to support the engine obviously, I had a buddy help me with the removal but I was alone on the install. I ended up putting two ratchet straps from the hoist to the engine and offset the hoist so that I could add a third strap and slowly ratcheted the tranny into position. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're not mechanically inclined :)
  • neo9neo9 Member Posts: 3
    Hey all. I bought my Matrix around two years ago almost new (11k miles). Now it has around 43K miles and the last few months my transmission has been showing increasing symptoms of unwellness. At first, the clutch just felt a bit mushy, and to what extent this feeling was real vs. my paranoia I do not know. However, now it is hard to shift gears any time the engine is cold to the point where sometimes I have to double clutch to get it into first. Also, I have noticed a sound a bit like loose metal scraping around whenever I first start up the motor on a cold day. The sound is irregular and not real imposing. It goes away whenever I push the clutch in and returns when I let it back out. Both these symptoms for the most part disappear once the car is warmed up.

At the moment I am guessing a bad throw-out bearing but I wonder what the apparent temperature sensitivity implies. This is a 2005 Matrix with only 43K on it. I've been scanning this forum and it seems for the most part these tranny problems are only supposed to occur in '03 and '04 models. Is my car proof Toyota hasn't rectified the problem?
    Any automatic transmission is supposed to shift on its own. That is what the word 'automatic' implies. Normally, if you are climbing a hill or trying to accelerate rapidly, the car will downshift into a lower gear in order to give you more torque. You do not need to shift out of drive in order for this to happen. The purpose of the 3rd, 2nd, and 1st gear settings are to give you more control over when the car shifts. For instance, automatics often won't automatically downshift to provide engine braking when you are descending a steep grade. This is why you have to sometimes put it into 2nd manually. Unless the car is downshifting into 2nd at times when it should not, such as when you are driving at constant speed on a flat stretch of highway, it doesn't sound like you have a problem.
    From the symptoms you are listing I would say your first guess was right: bad throw-out bearing. That kind of sucks at 43K though. Sorry to hear it. :-(

I wonder if they will cover it for free under the powertrain warranty - after all, it is not the same thing as a worn clutch. They really should cover it.

• bellatogo02bellatogo02 Member Posts: 4
    I was very excited about my search for buying a used Matrix, 2007, 2008 model and was not sure on getting a manual or automatic transmission. After reading the forums, I am discouraged about buying a matrix all together.

I need advice: What transmission should I get? Is Automatic better than the Manual in the later models? I pay cash for cars, so I have been saving for a long time for this vehicle....should I even consider a Matrix anymore? I want something to last for a LONG time like my current car, which is a Toyota Camry that is 19 years old.

Thank you
  • simonotaylorsimonotaylor Member Posts: 3
    My Matrix is parked in my driveway until I find out what is happening with that transmission issue. I am happy I found that forum, it helps me understand what happened to me today. Since french is my first language, excuse the mistakes please...

For a few days, I was hearing that distant grinding sound from the motor and I finally stopped to a small neighborhood garage to have it test driven by a mechanics. His diagnostic was very clear: transmission bearing failure. He called me an hour later telling me transmission had to be opened and bearing replaced for about $1200.

So I decided to take the car to the dealer where I bought it and have always have it serviced to know how much they would charge me. And to tell them I was quite surprised with such an important failure at 170,000km.

When I told the service manager what my problem was, he looked at me with the same surprised expression I would have expected from him if I had told my car was able to fly. As if it was the first time he heard of such a problem on a Matrix. Coincidence, a mechanic entered the client area from the garage, saw his face and asked what was happening. He had to tell him I had a problem with my transmission bearing. «Oh, I'm not surprised, we have changed quite a few of them».

Isn't that funny? It looks like they don't give the mechanic the same training they give the front desk people!

And the training they give them doesn't look very good either, because when I asked if it would be better to install a used transmission instead of fixing mine, he answer me that a used one would be likely to break again pretty soon...

So Toyota people seem to have humoristic aptitudes. And according to what I just read on tha forum, I guess I will receive that kind of answer to the mail I sent to Toyota.ca this afternoon: «We have received quite many complains about that bearing failure on 2004 manual Matrix, but we maintain our point: there is no reported problem with that transmission.»
    I'm really looking forward to reading their real answer...
    Yea that was the diagnosis of Pep Boys when I brought it to them. They actually recommended I essentially run the bearing into the ground if I can't get the warranty to cover it. My power train warranty goes to 60K, claims to cover the clutch casing but not to cover the clutch lining. It says nothing about the throw-out bearing. My pessimistic prediction is that the dealership will try to tell me the throwout bearing is another wear-&-tear item, (I know it can go for some of the same reasons a clutch disk can) and isn't covered under warranty. I am wondering if referring them to this forum, and in general pitching the case that people buy Toyotas for their reliability, might make them reconsider their verdict. We'll see.
    If I were you I would push that angle to the max. I don't consider a throw-out bearing to be a "wear item" in the same way a clutch lining is, that's for sure. If the dealer won't go to bat for you, you can contact the regional rep for Toyota independently and try to get satisfaction that way.

Good luck!

• njs1972njs1972 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Matrix last year. The manufacturer's warranty expired January 09, and TADA the following week my transmission was hemorrhaging fluid. Apparently yes I need a new bearing and there is some give in the axle. A sweet mechanic replaced the seals hoping that would solve the problem. WRONG! I purchased this vehicle for the fact I have trusted in Toyotas, and now this. I am a single girl and barely making ends meet as the state of CA has robbed me blind. I have tried every road possible to get this resolved and people look at me like I am stuck on stupid. My Matrix currently sits in front of my house.
    If any of you find any sort of recourse for this.. please let me know. I am tired of mooching off others to get places.
    Ironic they replace the bolts in the windows but obviously there are issues with the tranmissions (which they deny when I emailed Toyota). :mad:
    Anaheim Gear in Anaheim, CA sold me a rebuilt tranny with a one year warranty for $1000 out the door after core charge. so far I've put 3k miles on it and is seems to be fine. they also list the trannys on E-bay too. I replaced mine myself, not sure how much it will cost to have someone else do it, it's kind of a big job.

Good luck!
  • aa262aa262 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 04 Matrix standard that is shifting from 4th gear
    to neutral on itrs own Any ideas Only has 67k miles
    out of warranty
    Hi Tim,
    I have a 2003 5 speed matrix and the tranny failed at 102,000+/- miles. I am in CA, so rebuilding mine would be pretty hard to do unless I somehow ship it to you...I was wondering...do you sell overhauled trannys for this model car at all? I need to have my mechanic here look at what's left of the tranny before I can safely say that it's shot completely, but I bet money it is.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks in advance.
    Sincerely,
    Sara Keil
    keilse01@verizon.net
  • jamesimcbjamesimcb Member Posts: 13
    After going through this expensive experience once, the guy at Mr. Transmission told me that there is a revised kit and that I shouldn't have the problem again. The first time the tranny failed was at 130,000 km's....well I put another 25,000 km's on it and guess what...the sound is slowly creeping back. Not sure if it was fixed properly or not...but beware...once you spend 2500-3000 fixing the POS it may come back. My transmission was fixed at Mr. Transmission in Peterborough...I would highly recommend against using Mr. Transmission!!!!
    Is this really a Toyota? I could get better reliability out of a chinese engineered look alike! JUNK
  • simonotaylorsimonotaylor Member Posts: 3
    Follow up with my first message #284:

The reply from Toyota.ca to my question about their responsability with that transmission problem was as expected: «We are not aware of any common problem with the Matrix transmissions».

So I reply to them telling my thoughts about their attitute. And went to have my car fixed. It has finaly been done by an independant mechanic, because my Toyota dealer asked too much and insisted to change the clutch as well (it was finaly only 25% worn).

Meanwhile, I received another message from Toyota. They replied to my second message telling me they opened a file for my case.

Two weeks later, a phone call from them: they offer me the parts, I pay the labour. I asked how much was the part: $2800CA they said. So I guess it was a new transmission. But when I finaly said I had my car fixed with an independant, they said they can't do anything for me. Bye, file closed.

So clearly, they know there is a problem even if they deny it first. To me, it looks like a strategy to wait that long before admiting their fault and compensate for it.

I have transmited my whole case to the APA. They were very interested and mentionned they receive many complains regarding those transmissions. And they were not surprised Toyota did their offer by phone. And as they predicted, Toyota did not reply to me by writen, even if I asked for it and even if they said they would.

If you hear your transmission start to make a very faint and distant noise, act fast with Toyota so they will have time to answer before you fix everything...

And by the way, I have friends that work in different media dedicated to automobile and for sure, I will manage to have that story reported so people know what to do. And who they deal with.

One last thing: I have two friends who followed my case closely. Both have old Toyotas, a Tercel and an Echo. One will switch to Hyunday, the other to Honda. That doesn't put a cent in my pocket, but it doesn't put any in Toyota's either!
  • zbadrexzbadrex Member Posts: 4
    I know this is a Matrix forum - but I have pertinent information as I have been dealing with the same issues on my 2003 Pontiac Vibe (same lovely Toyota drivetrain). I too had a bearing disintegrate the week after Christmas at 124,000mi that wallowed out my housing to the point of replace rather than fix. Good luck finding a good 5-speed! I have been researching other options, and just yesterday purchased a used 6-speed Matrix tranny. The castings are identical except for the end one that houses 6th gear, and I have found only that my Vibe speedo gear will need to be used - I haven't swapped it yet, and will post if there are any problems. From what I have seen, and what I have been told, the 6-speed is a direct replacement. I am including the website where I found my info and purchased my clutch kit: http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/ They were very helpful to answer my many questions. I have been watching this forum hoping that someone would post a better solution, or that Toyota would finally issue a recall, and I had read where someone else posted that the castings were different between the 5 and 6 speeds - but so far I don't see any difference, except what I already mentioned. I will post again if I run into any problems installing unless someone gets ticky that mine is not technically a Matrix - but consider, if this goes well, it will be partially a Matrix! I hope this info will be helpful to someone else out there going through the same ordeal I have been. Thanks, April
  • zbadrexzbadrex Member Posts: 4
    Just a quick update - no snags at all. Dropped my 5-speed speedo gear into the 6-speed's bell housing, new clutch assembly(ordered for 6-speed), same old axles, a wire loom holder from the old tranny(not necessary, just picky), and buttoned it all back up. Added synthetic gear lube as recommended, and an oil change too from sitting since December. After charging the dead battery, runs and drives great again!
  • cassadcjcassadcj Member Posts: 4
    Wow! After reading this entire thread, I feel that I've been very lucky. I purchased a 2003 Matrix XR with 5 speed manual transmission in March 2002; so, a very early Matrix. For over 7 years, it had no significant problems other than the windshield cracking immediately when hit by a rock; rocks are sharp around here and the car now has its 5th windshield! I finally had the air conditioner relay problem at about 195,000 miles. Fortunately, that was only about $100 to fix and I had an oil leak fixed for $150 at the same time. There were also two accidents with extensive body panel damage but no mechanical damage. The passenger side was wiped out and cost $9K to repair in December 2004 and the rear was caved in and cost $8K in May 2005. But, neither of those accidents were the fault of the Matrix--and they weren't my fault either. The most annoying thing is that the body shop had trouble getting Matrix parts and I was without my car for 7 weeks in the first accident and 8 weeks in the second. (And, after never being in an accident in over 30 years of driving, two stupid accidents that weren't my fault in less than 5 months began to make me feel like I was driving around with a "Hit me!" sign on the Matrix. :sick: )

There were no transmission problems until at 205,000 miles in May 2009 a rattle developed when the car was moving and in gear. It went away when the clutch was pushed in. Two shops thought that it was the flywheel going bad, so I had the flywheel and clutch replaced for $1K. That didn't stop the rattle and the suggestion was a bad bearing(s). With another 1,000 miles of driving the rattle was getting worse, but the car still drove OK. After reading about the 2003 Matrix manual transmission experiences on this thread and elsewhere, it began it began to look like this could cost about $2-3K more and be time consuming. :cry: I'll be driving a lot this summer and needed a car right away. So, I traded in the 2003 Matrix for a 2009 Honda Fit. (I love the Fit, although its seats aren't as comfortable as the Matrix.)

I only got a $2,500 trade in on the Matrix due to its transmission problems and some minor body problems. But, that was about what I expected based on the used car price calculators here at Edmunds. My Matrix was a great car and I got my money's worth from it! I'm sorry that many of you have had transmission problems and feel fortunate that mine didn't happen until high mileage.
  • upyourstoyotaupyourstoyota Member Posts: 11
    Hi, I guess I want to add my woes to this thread. I need some advice from people who have had similar experiences with their 2003 5 Speed Toyota Matrix. My car recently broke down about 2 and a half hours from where I live. My car was towed to the dealership where I was informed I would need a brand new transmission. The car has 103,000 miles on it. This isn't supposed to happen. It couldn't come at a worst time financially and I don't know what to do. I JUST decided to sell my car a week ago after I realized the car payments just weren't in my budget. Ironic? Yeah. The dealership is quoting me $2900 for a new transmission. They said they can get a used tranny in there for $1900-2100, but I would like to avoid that if possible. Jasper Engines doesn't have a transmission for that year, so I think I might be stuck with putting in the new transmission. I am waiting on quotes from shops in the area, but it is a very small town and I think that is going to be the standard price. My question is: if this whole thread is dedicated to defective transmissions, what will happen if I put in the same transmission again? Will it just go out again in another 100,000 miles? I still owe $3000 on the car, so selling isn't an option because I will come out at a big loss and I don't want to screw someone else over and I wouldn't have enough money for another car. I would really appreciate any advice or stories of how people resolved their issues. Any tips on contacting Toyota directly to see if I could get a discount on the part? Thank you!
    I bought a rebuilt transmission from Anaheim Gear, in Anaheim CA, they warranty their tranny for one year and said that toyota just got a bad batch of bearings, and that I shouldnt have a problem with it. the tranny cost me $1000 after trading in the old one. I recommend looking them up. I swapped the tranny myself, whcih is no small task but new tranny and clutch and misc expenses cost me about $1200. but it took some work.
    Thanks for the response, jamborski. Since the car is 2.5 hours away from me, I decided to just get the dealer to replace it for 2900. I was just passing through that town, so if it breaks down again I need to be able to take it somewhere local.

A note to other victims of this crackerjack transmission: I just got off the phone with Toyota's national customer service line. The woman I spoke with said that there is no documentation of a similar problem with the 2003 Toyota Matrix 5 speed, so there was nothing they could do to help me. I know that there is an acceptable amount of complaints that they will field before acknowledging the defect or issuing a recall, but she told me that it was confidential how many complaints there have been so far. Because I haven't taken the car to a dealer to be serviced (and pay twice as much), they were unwilling to offer any help through their "goodwill" program. I am in law school and told the woman that in two years I will be an attorney and have nothing better to do with my time than spend the next two years researching this and mounting a case. I was hoping that would have had a more dramatic effect, but she just cheerfully thanked me for calling Toyota. Oh well. I encourage everyone on this site to call Toyota and lodge their complaint. While there will likely not be any immediate relief, at least there will be a record. Maybe one day we can file a class action suit for the defective bearings. I am not imagining anything big or dramatic, but if there are enough people with the same problem, we could at least collect what we have paid on the part and the service. That number is 1-800-331-4331. In the meantime, everyone should keep a copy of all service records and detailed accounts of conversations with any Toyota employees and what they have said.

The other consideration is that if the transmissions are giving out at or around 100,000 miles, there may be a lot of Matrix owners who have yet to reach that mileage. So, this could just be the beginning of a huge problem for Toyota.

Good luck to everyone.
  • jsal3jsal3 Member Posts: 2
    My standard 5-speed 03 Matrix suddenly shifted from 4th gear to neutral while I was driving on the highway this morning. While searching for anyone having had a similar experience, I found your posting, as well as the postings about Matrix transmission failures around 100K. My car has only 62K miles - I'm now worried about whether the "slipping to neutral" is a precursor for the failed transmissions discussed in the other postings. Have you found out anything more about the problem?
  • sms9758sms9758 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a new Matrix or Vibe, can anyone tell me if the transmission problems still exist and are the problems only with the manual transmissions?
    I haven't found out anything else beyond what they told me initially. Once they get the old transmission out, I will put another post about what they said went wrong, specifically. I will tell you that starting about six months before this happened, I noticed that the car was driving differently. There seemed to be a lot of "road noise" and it seemed like the car was working a lot harder to keep up anything over fifty miles per hour. When the car actually broke down, I was pulling off the interstate and there was a loud clank and the stick felt very loose all of a sudden. Then there was a metal scraping sound (which I think was probably my shift plates scraping against each other?) The car would lurch suddenly every quarter mile or so. I kept driving a little further to an oil change place and the mechanic got in the car with me and immediately identified the problem as bad bearings in the transmission. I didn't have the option to stay where I was and he told me to drive back home and he thought I could make it. Thirty miles later, then the car knocked me out of fifth gear and went into neutral. I tried to get it back in and it went into fourth for about one minute and then the speedometer went to zero. It just completely broke down from there and I found myself on the side of the road in Alabama in a grove of trees with the ten commandments nailed to every tree. It was peculiar. I know this is a long and boring description, but maybe it can help you. I would say call Toyota and take it into the dealership for any problems you are having. Since you are at 62K, that is close enough to their original warranty that if something catastrophic happens you are covered. Raise holy hell if they try to say they won't cover it. EVERYBODY needs to call Toyota and make a record of the problems they are having or they will never issue the recall.

When I get my car back next week, I will post a follow up of what the mechanic said.
    From my understanding, it is just in the manual transmission. Other than this whole mess, the Matrix has been great. The only other complaint is that the cheap plastic Toyota parts fall off all the time.
  • hiddot84hiddot84 Member Posts: 10
    Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. But, it has happened to me twice already with 2 different transmissions. I think everyone with this transmission problem should contact toyota and they should be forced through a class action suit to recall these matrix's. Other than that I have had great success with my matrix. I just filled up the tank yesterday and got 43MPG!!!! with 165k miles on it.

Update when you can,

T.
  • tarakheidtarakheid Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 standard 5-speed Matrix has been slipping out of 3rd gear. I have to hold the stick in 3rd gear position (with a pretty good amount of force) until I completely let off the clutch or it will slip into neutral. I brought it in this morning thinking maybe I would need an adjustment on my clutch since I just had a brand new transmission and clutch installed in January 2008. The technician called me and told me the transmission is bad and they recommend replacing it. Apparently the internal gear fork is warn pretty badly which is causing the slipping. I can’t imagine putting another new transmission in after only a year and a half. I love the car. The transmission has been the only problem I’ve had with it. I just hate to dump another $2.5-$3K into it. I don’t know if this is similar to your problem, but thought I would share my experience with you and any others experiencing similar problems.
    I wish I could emphasize enough to everyone about calling Toyota and registering a complaint about this. I have the number listed in one of my earlier threads. With enough complaints, they will issue a recall.
    did toyota replace your transmission the first time? I hope you have a warranty on it. I've got a one year warranty and I think I'll drive my matrix as much as I can to make sure it won't break
  • jsal3jsal3 Member Posts: 2
    I wrote a message a week or so ago, about having my 03 Matrix 5-speed suddenly shift all on its own from 4th to neutral on the highway. Thank you, those of you that responded to my posting.
    I took my car in to the dealer the next day, but they were unable to get the problem to recur, and so just charged me for the test drive and sent me home with my car. They questioned whether I could have bumped the stick, or not had it completely in gear... The conclusion (for them) was that it was a "freak" occurrence. (I had made mention to the service person about having read about transmission problems on the net, and that I had found another person with the exact same problem. They didn't offer any response to that.)
    I took my car on a 3 hour trip the following weekend, and the "spontaneous shifting" happened again (from 4th to neutral), twice in succession. I was going up an incline on the highway.
    On my return, I checked out this site again, and read even further back in the postings. I came across one posting in which the NHTSA site was given. I went to that site and it looked as though this was the organization that investigated the power window regulator bolt problem on the Pontiac Vibe. I'm wondering if this is what led to the subsequent recall. I found no investigations on their site looking into the Matrix transmission problems or bad bearings. Has anyone submitted a request for an investigation yet?
    I'm including the website here, again:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/index.cfm

I'm heading back to the dealer again. We'll see what they say this time...
    I am going to pick up my Matrix tomorrow from the dealership with the new transmission put in. I will ask them if that is a sign of what eventually happened with my car. I will also post exactly what they said and any other problems that cropped up as a result of the failure. Good luck!
  • hiddot84hiddot84 Member Posts: 10
    Toyota did replace my first transmission 23k miles *under warranty*. They said, " there must have been aluminum in the transmission from the factory". But the second one they replaced had a faulty bearing in it *no warranty* 123k miles. However, this one has done OK thus far. I think everyone should call Toyota and complain or contact their State's Attorney Generals Office in which I think I'm going to do this week, so that we can get this thing rolling, becuase if enough people complain then there will be a recall.

T.
    Well, I picked up my Matrix on Friday. I am supposed to have a year warranty on the new transmission, which is one of the reasons I decided to have Toyota do the work. When I asked the parts manager about some paperwork for the warranty, he told me that it was in their system and I didn't need anything. I politely asked for him to print out whatever he was looking at that would prove that I had this warranty. We went back and forth like this for about ten minutes. I eventually asked him just to jot something down on the back of my receipt with his name and date - just SOMETHING to prove the part was under warranty. He kept refusing and then finally he got exasperated and ripped a page out of his employee manual with information about warranties and thrust it at me. Another employee was standing there and said "I can't believe you just did that!" and he said "She needs it more than we do." I handed it back to him and asked him to sign and date it. He treated me like I was demanding something impossible. I offered to type up something about the warranty, I offered to show him how to hit print screen so that whatever was on his computer screen could be printed out, etc. and I did all of it as politely as possible. Needless to say, I am so underwhelmed with Toyota right now. The car seems to be running well with the new transmission, but I didn't get any explanation about what went wrong or anything else, just a rude man who couldn't understand why I would want something in writing about my warranty. So, now I guess I just wait for it to crap out again after 100K miles. I'm so angry. I am keeping a log of this entire ordeal so that when they finally issue a recall I can demand a refund or raise hell.

I am going to pursue this with the attorney general's office and through the online link that someone provided a few posts back. I am also going to call Toyota and update my complaint file. I like to think that I have better things to do with my time, but I am done accepting poor quality products from huge companies that rely on consumer laziness to protect themselves from any sort of repercussions from their crappy products.
  • bhechtbhecht Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 xrs with a little over 60,000 miles and bought it used. The guy I bought it from kept it in very nice condition and told me he had a new transmission put in around 23,000 miles. At around 50,000 miles I had to have a new clutch installed and now am having major transmission problems. It would not go into 3rd gear, and then when I got it going I couldn't shift down. I tried backing up and an awfull smell came from the engine area. I limped home in the car and now am going to have it fixed. This is my first Toyota, and my 8th stick shift. I drove the car very easy after the new clutch because I wanted it to last a long time, and no problems for over a year. I will also call Toyota and complain and whoever else that might help me. If anyone can help I would be very greatful for any advice, or phone numbers I can call. I live in southern Michigan and am also going to look for a good auto shop.
  • chan9chan9 Member Posts: 3
    Hello
    I was looking forward to buying a 04 toyota matrix . Can I know that does the transmission problems both in manual and automatic.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    The automatic transmission are not much trouble, but such a small low power motor is more fun to operate with a stick shift. I think the 2006 and 2007 don't have manual trans problems.
  • chan9chan9 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can I also know of the little troubles faced in automatic transmission if u know them. I agree with your statement regarding stick shift option but actually I have a 04 deal available to me in automatic transmission currently.
  • dissatisfied4dissatisfied4 Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to stress the importance of upyourstoyota (great name) message. And I'd like to add to it. Another poster gave the federal website. It is, again:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/index.cfm.

(Sorry, I can't get it in blue to link, please just copy.) There are currently 22 complaints on the manual transmissions of 2003 and 2004 Toyota Matrixes. (Under the "Components" category, go to Powertrain.) They also give an 800 number if you prefer to call in. Enough complaints can trigger a recall. We need to really push on this. It is outrageous nad it could result in someone's death.

Also call or write or use your State's Attorney General's website to file a complaint. Write to your congressman. If this site alone has 32 pages of complaints, think of how many people must have been screwed.

Further, I am thinking of contacting an attorney for a class action. Please let me know if you are interested.

My 2003 Matrix has only between 62,000 and 63,000 miles. Now I'm supposed to put in another $4000 on a new transmission - the bearings are shot. I don't have $4000 laying around. Further, the dealer was trying to find a used one to put in - it would have the same problems as the old and I'd be paying another $4000 in a very short time.
    Another poster gave the federal website. It is, again:

(Sorry, I can't get it in blue to link, please just copy.) There are currently 22 complaints on the manual transmissions of 2003 and 2004 Toyota Matrixes. (Under the "Components" category, go to Powertrain.) They also give an 800 number if you prefer to call in. Enough complaints can trigger a recall. We need to really push on this. It is outrageous.

Also call or write or use your State's Attorney General's website to file a complaint. Write to your congressman. If this site alone has 32 pages of complaints, think of how many people must have been screwed.

Further, I am thinking of contacting an attorney for a class action. Please let me know if you are interested.

My 2003 Matrix has only between 62,000 and 63,000 miles. Now I'm supposed to put in another $4000 on a new transmission - the bearings are shot. I don't have $4000 laying around. Further, the dealer was trying to find a used one to put in - it would have the same problems as the old and I'd be paying another $4000 in a very short time.
    I'd like to stress the importance of upyourstoyota (great name) message. And I'd like to add to it. Another poster gave the federal website. It is, again:

(Sorry, I can't get it in blue to link, please just copy.) There are currently 22 complaints on the manual transmissions of 2003 and 2004 Toyota Matrixes. (Under the "Components" category, go to Powertrain.) They also give an 800 number if you prefer to call in. Enough complaints can trigger a recall. We need to really push on this. It is outrageous.

Hey dissatisfied4, I would be interested in a class action law suit. You can email me if you want to talk more about that: marpants at yahoo dot com (writing it that way to avoid spambots). Also, I don't know if anyone listens to Car Talk on NPR, but their website is terrific. As far as directing your complaint to the person in charge, here is a list of all the CEOs of the major car companies: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/To-The-Top/ . The rest of the site is great for do it yourself tips and all sorts of resources. We can all draft a letter and attach each of our names and addresses and phone numbers and send in one to the president of Toyota as well as sending a copy to the Attorney General's office for our respective states and then find a news agency to send it to as well (will get their attention more). I think that sending it to Car Talk might be the best bet. The other avenues listed in the previous threads are also great ideas and everyone should take the time to fill out their complaints. Think of it this way: it will take fifteen minutes tops and there is a chance that you could be reimbursed the thousands of dollars that you spent replacing a defective part. A chance at $3000+ aint bad for fifteen minutes of effort.