Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac Fleetwood Maintenance and Repair

cournoyer1cournoyer1 Member Posts: 1
Lost brake fluid from a leaking rear wheel cylinder. Repaired cylinder and filled brake fluid reservoir with one quart of fluid.I could not bleed the rear brakes. I did not try to bleed the front brakes. The car has no brakes at all. The brake lite and the abs brake lite are lit on the dash.A gm mechanic said the abs brake system must be replaced at a cost of $3600!!!! I understand that there is a Bosch pump in the unit and it sounds like it is running all the time and not developing any pressure. Could it be air in the system that is causing the problem?
The brakes worked fine before the brake cylinder leaked. Need help!!! The car isn't worth a $3600 repair job. mcournoyer@sc.rr.com

Comments

• randy5randy5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1984 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with a 4.1. I bought 2 wiper motors and a switch with delay and they still do not work. If any one can help me out or knows where i can get an original wiper motor i would appreciate it.
  • joe771476joe771476 Member Posts: 19
    Get a second opinion! Go to an aftermarket independent garage! Dealer mechanics are there to make money for themselves and the dealer! Get out of there fast! It doesn't cost $3600 to fix ANY brake problem! Trust me!
  • joe771476joe771476 Member Posts: 19
    Been there done that! You have to go to a junk yard and try to get one from a car just like yours! New rebuilts don't match up! I went through heck trying to finally get one that worked!
  • caddynutscaddynuts Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1985 Caddy Fleetwood Brougham. It has a HT 4100 aluminum engine. When driving in town the ac works, but on long road trips, the coolant light eventually turns on. AC has to be turned off to avoid overheating, then extremely hot air starts to come out of all vents including the defrost vents. I replaced the water pump, thermostat, belts & hoses, & air conditioner compressor last year. The problems started after this. I recently replaced the heater control valve, but problem persisted. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    high speed overheat indicates a circulation problem, so I would say your prime suspect is the radiator. These can be flow-tested by a radiator shop.

If that checks out, have the cooling system pressure tested for a head gasket leak, would be my advice.
  • queenfeequeenfee Member Posts: 1
    My bf drives a clean 89 fleetwood but it's over heating. Water and coolant dry out fast.

HELP! :cry:
    Overheating can be caused by a whole lotta things. No guessing allowed. It has to be diagnosed step by step, from the obvious (is the cooling fan working? Is there a big leak somewhere?) to the somewhat less obvious (thermostat stuck? Air block in system? Clogged radiator?) to the less-less obvious (worn impellers in water pump? dragging brakes? underinflated tires?) to the most mysterious and dreadful (bad head gasket, cracked cylinder head).

Tests include pressurizing the cooling system to test for leaks and bad head gaskets, testing the coolant for combustion gases, having the radiator flow tested, testing the thermostat by removing it, and of course observing the operation of the cooling fan.
  • 1rubyd1rubyd Member Posts: 2
    From what I was told from the Cadillac dealer, he said that he did a "pressure" test. He said that was the way they could find out were the leak is coming from. What do you think? :cry:
    I think they didn't continue the diagnostic. You don't just do one test and then stop and shrug your shoulders...GEEZ...some of these dealers....
  • bracey52bracey52 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Fleetwood(RWD). The interior lights stay on too long when i open the doors. When I close the doors the lights come back on. It takes about 15 minutes for the lights to go out. what can i do? Is there anyone out there that can help me?
  • ginamgginamg Member Posts: 2
    Purchased my one owner 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood last year (2005). Has 106,000 miles. Runs and handles great when it starts. Sometimes after trying, I'll give the keys to someone else and it will start right up. When I called for it to be towed, it started for the driver and the repair shop said it would "never not start". It started regularly for a while and now it is acting up again. I've gotten it to start after it balks and after I've got it running it hasn't stranded me anywhere. Sounds strong. Is there any test for this? Thoughts, anyone!!?? Thanks
  • trainman1trainman1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1986 Fleetwood B.De Eleg.with the 307 OLDS eng.I can't find a serpentine belt system in the after-market or at the junkyard.Does anyone out there know of one?I would be very appreciative.
  • worklerbatelyworklerbately Member Posts: 2
    check the tentioner on the belt. we had this problem
  • ginamgginamg Member Posts: 2
    I live in VA and car inspections are required. Need to remove the hubcap to get my sticker. Is there a special place it calls home? Are they stocked at the cadillac dealers?

FYI - my starter problems have stopped. Turning the key all the way to the right smartly and tapping the gas is seems to be the solution I needed.
  • todds95todds95 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1995 cadillac fleetwood brougham and love it! It is still a head turner. I want to improve the looks but still keep it close to stock. Does anyone know where to find some chrome rims that were an option for this vehicle? :shades: Thanks!
  • andy0179andy0179 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to restore my grandparents old caddy and I'm having problems finding some discontinued parts. I'm looking for driver and passenger side front doors and blue leather driver and passenger bucket seats. I also need to replace the soft top. Any help is greatly appreciated
    These cars can be purchased used very cheaply. I'd suggest just buying an entire car that has what you need on it, (perhaps one with a bad transmission and engine) swapping out your old parts for the donor car's better parts and then junking the donor car while it is still reasonably complete and rolling.

As for the vinyl roof, you'd have to go to an upholstery shop for that.

If you can't do this, then you need to hook up with a modern large wrecking yard that can put your parts list out on their network.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I just recently discoverd a 1971 fleetwoodbrougham, it has been sitting in a barn for 15 years,It is in mint condition just needs to be washed and polished. I am not sure how the interior or front of the car look because I have'nt been able to get far enough in the garage.Now what I am trying to find is if the car is worth me investing my time and money if so how much should I pay fo this car.Is there any body out there who can tell me please u would be a big help thanks.
    Well if it were all shined up and looked good and smelled good and had no damage and was basically in the condition of a 4 or 5 year old car, and ran like a top, I'd say $3,500--$5,000 would what it is worth. The prospects for appreciating in value aren't great.

So if you can get it for less than that, you're okay. (and you should pay a lot less because 15 years is a LONG time for a car to sit---you could have problems with seals, hoses or who knows what?)

If you have to buy it non-running, don't give very much for it, because you are taking a risk with an old car that hasn't been run for so long.

You'll need to change oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steerin fluid, automatic transmission fluid, battery, get 4 new tires...etc etc....so you'll be in it at least $1,000 to get it on the road.

If your interest is to flip it for a profit, I don't think it's a money maker for you.
  • caddiefreakcaddiefreak Member Posts: 5
    I recently acquired this car and the interior lights just will not go off even if I start the car I am assuming the relay for the delay is bad however i am not sure where to even look for this. any suggestions would be awesome.

Sorry can't spell :shades:
    Could be the door switch that activates these lights. Not sure where that is on your car...either a push button arrangement in the door frame or sometimes it's in the door lock itself.
    I looked for the switch havent found it yet, Could that cause this problem without giving the door ajar warning?
    That's a good question...do you get the door ajar warning if the door is open?

OH---I think there is a timer type device on the interior lights! But god knows where it is, I don't....
    The door ajar warning goes off if I open the door and turns off if I close the door. I am going to call a dealership see if this problem has happened to other fleetwoods and if they have a sudguestion. :confuse: :blush:
    Ask them about the electrical component that times out the courtesy lights after you've closed the door.
  • djzgsp1djzgsp1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 93 Fleetwood with the same problem, any info you could pass on would be great!
    ME again... I was going to get raped at the dealership. so I was wondering if the time delay relay failed would it allow the interior lights to stay on if the engine was running?
    If I remember right, it works regardless of whether the engine is running or not. I think it works independently of the engine, doesn't it? I'm just not familiar enough with your particular car.
    I have determined that the delay works it is just really slow due to a door open signal. Now I have discovered that the door ajar and the interior lights are on separate switches. so Now I am currently testing each individual door to determine which switch went. the front doors have three, the handle, the door ajar, and the interior lights. So the hunt is on and i will continue until I find the offender. :shades: ">
  • kgoadkgoad Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I have an 88 Fleetwood FWD and the drivers window regulator needs replaced. The plastic piece that rides on the window broke.
    I bought a new regulator guide at my local Caddy dealer and I succesfully removed the panel, etc... from the door BUT I cant figure out how to put the new guide in....
    Does anyone know how to tell me how to do this?
    Anyone have diagrams, etc...?

Help!!

Thanks for any help!!!!
  • metmanmetman Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in purchasing a '94-'96 Fleetwood to act as a donor car to supply the drive train and as much of the interior as possible to restify a 1953 Studebaker. Can anyone steer me to where I can find out what leather interior colors were available for 1994 thru 1996 Fleetwoods?

Mike in KY
  • gallauntgallaunt Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I'm curious if you ever figured out the problem with your interior lights. I have a '93 and it recently started an intermittent problem with it's interior lights that's a little different from yours. My lights occasionally won't come on after they are timed out by the "Battery Run Down Protection System". So please let me know what you've found out about your car's problem. Also, I really don't think these vehicles have a door handle switch in these years and later. The door handle switch was used to activate the "Illuminated Entry System" by lifting the handle which turned the interior lights on before you actually unlocked the doors. I think that system was replaced by the remote alarm.
  • gallauntgallaunt Member Posts: 2
    I stand corrected about the door switch. I went to my car and lifted the driver's door handle and the "Illuminated Entry System" did activate. Sorry for the misinformation.
  • marty2327marty2327 Member Posts: 1
    look on ebay for chrome wheels,they have some on there now .
  • mrwoods1mrwoods1 Member Posts: 4
    I have 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and need to know how to disconnet the power attena. It's always on. Thanks
    If it has its own fuse that would be one way; otherwise there is probably a wire right off the radio that controls it---but you may have to pull the radio out to disconnect that.

I guess if this is in the trunk you could pull the connecting wire off the base of the antenna as well.
    Thanks for the info.
    How do I get my a/c and heat to run in my car (85 cadillace fleetwood brougham). Is it because my fuses are blown? or something major.
    Sure you can start with the fuses but if heat AND AC are both out you'd want to suspect the temperature control unit. Do you have "dial a temperature" or is it manual?
  • tomwalttomwalt Member Posts: 14
    I had the same problem on my 93 and just pulled the fuse and that was a couple years ago.
    Sorry about the delay. It's a dial a temprature. It comes on but donot blow out.
    So yeah the temperature control unit is suspect or the sensor that reads inside temperature. I don't know where that is on your car, sorry.
  • emmett1emmett1 Member Posts: 20
    Hello everyone. I am now the proud owner of a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham with 77k on the odometer. I have been looking for one of these cars for almost 2 years, and because 96 was the last year they were made, finding one that wasn't loaded with miles or just chewed up was quite a chore. It is navy blue with the lighter blue leather, and I LOVE it. It is the land yacht I always remembered and am just elated to be cruising in this machine. One downer, I've had it a week and the auto climate control would NOT turn off....the blower motor just refused to stop, no matter what the display said. $200.00 and one new system later, all is well again. I have taken a little bit of a beating over this car, as I am Italian and the jokes about being genetically predisposed to owning one have been nonstop, but that's ok.....jealousy is an ugly thing...lol. Have a great day and Cadillac.....true American luxury paisano
  • dabessdabess Member Posts: 1
    I installed a set of 14" wire rims on my baby. My cousin was the one who installed it and he's done this for himself and many other people. Aside from the car looking beatiful like it's gliding of the concrete, the ride had changed. Instead of the steering wheel steered straight, it's turned 45 degrees to the left for the car to go straight. The rear passenger wheel sometimes scrapes against the skirt. He tells me, "That's why it's called customization. Certain things are going to change".
    He's my cousin and I got nothing but love for the man, but he is the type of person who doesn't like to admit at fault. I just wanna know if anyone out there can give me a second opinion on the matter. Thanks
  • rlemonsrlemons Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know where I might find an "exploded view" of the a/c compressor on line)? I have a problem with my 95 Fleetwood Brougham-it appears the cluch (in front of the serpentine belt) has seperated from the main compressor unit! I would like to find a good view of the a/c unit in order to attempt a fix myself....if possible.
    Thanks,Ron
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    I think you will have to replace the compressor.
    That DIY job could turn into a real chore for you. I doubt you could replace the clutch while the compressor is still on the car, which means you'll have to open the AC system, which means you'll have to have all the tools to recharge it properly, replace the drier/accumulator, etc.

Also to get the clutch off you'll need a special puller and some fancy pliers I think.

Rebuilt compressors are only about $250 whilst just buying a new clutch is about $125. And since you'll have to take it in for the AC recharge and drier work, you might as well just bite the bullet on this one. I don't see this as a home repair worth attempting unless you are pretty clever and experienced with AC work of course.
  • rlemonsrlemons Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply Mr. Shiftright. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but the truth is sometimes painful...!Thanks again.
    It's a tricky job and you can even hurt yourself letting all the freon out---and it's really not a good thing to do anyway. The gases should be trapped and re-used if possible.
  • autocraftautocraft Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 1990 Cadillac Brougham and I need a right rear lower molding. I'm having a lot of trouble finding one and if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!