Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS - Quality that lasts?

2»

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    is GM telling you these things are normal or is the dealership doing it....if so...would change dealers immediately.....and look for a regional GM tech rep to review your issues...none of the issues you mention should be considered normal....
  • mneddmnedd Member Posts: 2
    this really irritates me..."some of the problems are common"...does this mean that they will never be able to solve them, so don't worry about it?....i own a 06 3.6 V6 CTS and i have the same problems...one would think over two years there would be some improvement.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Mnedd,
    What problems are you currently experiencing? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • pf562pf562 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2010
    my reciept says service manager and GM rep inspected timing componets. Replaced them. then says remainer of surge at Idle is normal per GM. Its not the service manager he admits its not rite. GM had the car sit for three week while they made up their mind. I'll drop the car off anywhere to let a GM rep drive for a couple days. I dont think they understand what it is doing,
  • stuwillystuwilly Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 CTS with 62000 miles needs a new engine,IT somehow ran itself out of oil without a single warning,its a shame that a car would let you know if your wheels are spinning (traction control)or sliding (stabiltrac)or you trunk or door is open but no lights for low oil level.I have no Idea where the oil went I called GM and got a case #71-1049338571 and gave permission for an engine diagnosis the service dept said that it would cost @$1200 for the engine breakdown to find out what caused the problem.They took the oil pan off and saw a broken connecting rod,two holes in the block and a piston slammed into the cylinder wall the GM district person came and the decision was made that it was due to lack of lubrication.New engine replacement cost is $6200 of which GM said they would pay %20 or give me $2000 toward the payoff of my vehicle or towards the purchase of a new car,to which both I declined upon researching on the internet I found that I am not alone with this problem with the 3.6l engine the NHTSA has a bulletin item#10036464 that speaks about a PCV Baffle concern,GM has a TSB#01-06-01011e so they know about the problem but are willfully refusing to acknowledge a defective engine ,The GM 3.6l vvt should not drink oil at a tune of 1 quart every 750 miles this is my 4th caddy and my last.I will do everything that I can to make this problem known GM ought to be ashamed about the way they treat their loyal customers.
  • cher11cher11 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 CTS. They tell me it's normal for them to use more oil than other cars. RIGHT??? I have to check it all of the time. I can usually tell it is getting low the way it shifts itself. I have to add a quart about every 4-6 weeks it seems like. I have Onstar which I get updates each month to tell me the oil % is getting down to a low amount. The car also tells me when the % of oil is low but you have to check that out with the radio dials. I always check there and if the oil % is at 10-15% I get an oil change. I agree with you that I would NEVER by another CTS. I am disappointed in the longevity of this car. Iike the looks and size but the price is not worth it. Good luck with car....
    cher11,
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and concern. Have you had an oil consumption test performed at your GM dealer? Can you please email me directly with your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer to SocialMedia@GM.com? I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    Hello Christina;

Please advise the higher ups at GM Customer Service that there are many satisfied GM customers like myself (I own an Uplander and a Grand Prix) that still love to drive a push-rod overhead valve engine (i.e. 3.1, 3.5, 3.8, or 3.9 liter engines) and would never buy GM's newer hi-tech overhead cam engines (i.e. 3.6 liter Cadillac engine) because they are so unreliable.
    jpf,
    Thank you for your feedback. I have passed this along. For the 2008 model year the 3.6L engine was changed. Here is a link to specs about the 3.6L engine that has been used since:
    http://gmpowertrain.com/VehicleEngines/PowertrainProducts.aspx
    I hope this information helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mgruca05mgruca05 Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 CTS 3.6 has been consuming oil recently as well. I checked it yesterday and it was good. I carpool to work and it was my day to drive. I made it there just fine as well as back to where we meet. After I dropped everyone off, the engine started making this terrible knocking sound (like a jackhammer.) I got it home ok. I checked the oil and it was low, so I added some more. I got up this morning and started the car. The noise was still there, but after some time idling seemed to go away. I head to my carpool meeting spot and on the highway, the knocking got extremely loud. I took my exit and at the light the car kept trying to die. I made it to my parking spot and the SECOND I got into the spot, the car died and would not start.

Now I have to have the car towed to a mechanic to be told some terrible news, based on what I've been reading about these cars. The car has 57k miles on it and the oil has been changed using Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic since I bought it with 35k miles on it. I changed the oil at 3,000 miles. Over the last month, I've been adding oil to it every 1 to 2 weeks.

I am closing on a new house this week and this was the last thing I needed to happen right now. As bad as it sounds, I can't wait to buy a reliable import :mad:
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry that your CTS shut down on you, mgruca05! I hope you got where you needed to go safely.

Is the mechanic you're using one of our GM dealerships? If so, we'd be happy to check into the progress of the repair. Please get in touch with us by emailing socialmedia@gm.com

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ghealerghealer Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I have a 2008 CTS FI sedan with 116,000 kilometers on it. I bought it new !
    The list of issues has been much longer than I had ever expected from a Cadillac.
    Most recently I noticed some fluid leaks in my driveway. I took the car to the dealership to be informed that my 4 year old Cadillac had a rusted out Transmission Cooling line at the fitting to the Radiator. I was told the cost to repair was $330.00 plus tax if they did not damage the radiator while taking the steel fitting out of the Aluminium Radiator. If there was damage then the bill would be much higher. I am picky about keeping my vehicles clean and particularly the underside in the winter . I have NEVER had a line rust out on Vehicle with 3 times the mileage or age. I'm told there is no coverage from G.M. for this. This is the most recent of a lengthy list of issues over 4 years.
    This Cadillac has not come even close to my expectations.