Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS - Quality that lasts?

cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Member Posts: 53
I'm thinking about buying a new car and the Cadillac CTS is one of my considerations. I was wondering if owners could tell me any griefs they've had with the car, major or minor. I just want a car that will be as trouble free as possible. Also, if anyone knows any other useful information about the car (i.e. how the 2006 Buick Lucerne is using the '91 Northstar V8) it would be much appreciated.

I have a '01 Pontiac Montana, and I'm very reluctant to buy another GM vehicle, be it a Chevy or a Cadillac. In 70,000 miles, we've already had the transmission rebuilt, AC compressor and condensor replaced, and the majority of the major brake system components replaced, just to name a few major problems. Compared to its competition at the time, at $35k, the car was not even cheap either.

If I'm about to drop another $30k+ on another GM, I want to make sure it's not a money pit like our Montana. Thanks.

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    (i.e. how the 2006 Buick Lucerne is using the '91 Northstar V8) it would be much appreciated.

The Lucerne isn't using the same Northstar that was created in 1991' Actually their has been a few revisions to the Northstar oe of them which allows the current Northstar to run on 87' octane if one chooses to do so at a minor hp. loss. ;)

I have a '01 Pontiac Montana, and I'm very reluctant to buy another GM vehicle, be it a Chevy or a Cadillac. In 70,000 miles, we've already had the transmission rebuilt, AC compressor and condensor replaced, and the majority of the major brake system components replaced, just to name a few major problems. Compared to its competition at the time, at $35k, the car was not even cheap either.

I'm sorry you had a few problems with the Montana. All I can say is they are getting better with quality. GM isn't taking steps backward, but is taking leaps forward in quality and reliability. Sure some models have a ways to go, but it's getting better.

If I'm about to drop another $30k+ on another GM, I want to make sure it's not a money pit like our Montana. Thanks.

For peace of mind I reccommend getting the GM bumper to bumper factory warranty up to 100K negotiated in the final sale of your vehicle if you pay cash, or do a traditional finace loan. The standard 4 yr. 50K should cover most on a lease, unless you buy more miles upfront and drive it further than the avg. person. :shades:

Rocky

P.S. Check out the 60 minutes video posted on his site if you want to get a peek at the CTS interior and grill. :blush:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=110105
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    We have an '05 CTS. This is the first Cadillac for us. I am impressed with the car. We have 22,000 miles on the car and I am pleased with the service. In the beginning, we had a recall on a computer chip. They are all standing around here. Other than that, it has been trouble free.

One thing that you will need to remember is to keep the tires rotated. The recommendation is to do this at least every 7,500 miles. I did not and the tires became very noisy.
  • slopoke1slopoke1 Member Posts: 5
    My wife has owned a 2003 CTS since March 2002, one of the first delivered to the Washington DC area. It has been pretty much trouble free and is as much fun to drive as when she first got it. On those infrequent occasions when it has needed work the Cadillac dealer has been great. I drive a Lexus GX470 and find the Lexus dealer displays an attitude and arrogance which we used to find only with the dealers handling the upscale German products. In summary the CTS is a great car and do not underestimate the importance of the dealer.
  • cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Member Posts: 53
    I definitely don't discount the importance of the dealer anymore, especially when the dealer we bought our Montana pretty much sent us out to our death.

6 months after doing a complete brake job, our front pads were completely worn, and the dealer simply told us that we needed another brake job and that they had worn so fast due to "driving style." That was after religious regular mainteance and loyalty to the same dealer. I refused to accept that explanation, and they made me sign a waiver before they let me take the car.

When we got the car checked out elsewhere, the caliper lines were pinched, so it was basically like we were driving with our foot on the brake, and the wheel cylinders in the rear drums were leaking, which explains why we had to get the brakes adjusted EVERY time we brought the car in. Not to mention that the tie rods were pretty worn, and the dealer didn't even mention it.

Anyway, I'm glad to be reading good things about the CTS. I have heard all good things about it, but after such a bad experience with a GM car, it's hard to commit to another one.

So... Just get an '06, or wait for the '08? Hmm...
    Can anybody from the Chicagoland area make a recommendation on a good dealership? I don't mind paying a little more if it means much better service in the long run (note I said a LITTLE :) ).
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might also check in our Cadillac CTS: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    where in the chicagoland area are you?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

Hey, I recognize you from the '06 Sonata board. haha

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Heard of Northbrook?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    yeah I know northbrook but not familar with any of the dealers near there.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Listen, this is not really GM's fault.

Although it seems everything is GM's fault if it occurs with GM cars. In this case, its not your fault (the driver), but that dealer needs to be sued.

There needs to be some sort of action you can take. Not only does it speek poorly of the the people who work in that dealership, or the Brand assciated with that dealership, but also lack of human concern. This goes beyond buying any car. GM engineered this Vehicle to be better than world class, and it is in many ways one of the most advanced 4 doors GM ever made for the price.

This is a matter of justice, you would have had a much better experience if the dealer did his/her job. Get a Lawyer, and sue that dealership for everything they have.

Usually i think lawsuits hurt everyone, but in this case, get them!

Oh yea, and I would wait for the '08 :)
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Seems that Cadillac needs to get this car to dealers asap. Anyone heard that Caddy may release it early (Feb/Mar)?
  • driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964

If I had that many problems I would say it is time to look for another car company. You couldn't seriously consider another GM?? :surprise:

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    No offense cumptrnrd, but anyone who did their homework would know to steer clear of the GM minivans. They are garbage in pretty much every way. They are notoriously dangerous and are panned by just about every reviewer. Sorry you got duped, but it only takes a quick read of Edmunds to figure out what NOT to buy.

That said, GM does make some awesome cars & trucks. My mom and step-dad have a '03 CTS and a '04 Escalade, and both have been very reliable. My father had a '02 Impala LS that was also very reliable. He now has a Dodge Magnum RT that is doing very well. My '03 Honda Accord just cost me $1000 to repair the AC, but that's another story.... :)
  • thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    I was told by Caddy of Las Vegas that it would hit the showroom April 07. Orders will be taken at years beginning. I have the 03,(and lovin it) and I too am waiting for the 08. With all the improvements this car will be a hit as well. Can't wait.

The bug...
    I have an '05 CTS with 24,000 miles. I have a rear-end roar at around 70mph. Has anyone had this same experience. If you have, what did the dealer do to solve the problem.
    I posted a message in another forum on here. I have a CTS with 24,000 miles on it. At 70mph, there is a rear-end roar that has developed. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • pbeerspbeers Member Posts: 26
    I currently own an '04 CTS-V. Bought it in Dec'04 and now with 14K miles on it I've had zero problems. Great car and a blast to drive. I also used to own an '04 SRX V8. Same thing, no problems, completely trouble free vehicle. Having not been a previous Cadillac owner, I can't say enough now about how impressed I am with their quality. All makes have their problems, but I think overall these are very well made vehicles...
  • iarmaniarman Member Posts: 4
    Yes I had the same problem, even though Cadillac denied it. Finally after very much difficulty, Cadillac replaced the rear end carriage. No problem since that time. Good Luck
  • bogz11bogz11 Member Posts: 10
    I've owned a 2004 CTS for 2 years now and have no problems with my car. We get great service at our dealership. The only problem is we have a baby and there is not enough room so we are actually considering selling and getting toyota sienna.
  • rajunkajunrajunkajun Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a used car and saw a 2003 Cadillac CTS for 12900. It has 102K miles on it so i wondering if the would be a good buy. I work from home so I won't be putting too many miles on it. Plus i get a discount on american cars so what do you think. Are CTS's worth getting over 100K?
  • breaga01breaga01 Member Posts: 6
    It is un fortunate that you have to pay another $2500-$3000 for an extended warranty for something that should of been included in the price of the vehicle. For 2007 GM finally got smart and included the warranty in the price. If GM cannot give you quality, at least now they give you a longer warranty.
    I hand to replace my tires at 24000 miles. I was starting to hydroplane on water and knew I was in trouble when the snow started. I purchased 4 Yokohama YK520 tires rated at 60,000. I love them, I should of put them on the car right out of the showroom.
    What motor is in the CTS your buying?
    The CTS cars are hard on tires. One minute behind the wheel of the 3.6L and you will see what I mean. They are a fun car to drive. One minute behind the wheel of the CTS-V and your ready to join a NASCAR team.

I love my CTS, however
    I have the 2005 CTS 3.6L V6 with 30500 miles. At 26K I had an engine noise (a rattle just after starting for about 2-3 seconds) that started just after a LOF. I was told it was a bad starter (which I thought was weird at the time) but the dealer replaced it under warranty. The noise came back at 29K and I check the oil and it was not even on the stick. I added 3 quarts and immediately took it to the dealer for a LOF and checkup. It had about 3500 miles since the last LOF. I was shocked and somewhat naive that a 2005 Cadillac using Mobil 1 (BTW, Oil/filter change $65.00, OUCH!) would be burning oil at that rate with 29K on it. Now at 30500, 1500 miles since last change I am low almost 2 Qts again and I hear the noise again. I have never seen any warning lights or messages and I see no signs of leaks. My oil life is about 55-60% and between 3000-3600 miles between oil/filter changes. Seventy-five percent of my driving is highway with the rest is city getting on and off the highway. I am very fussy about my cars and watch and listen for anything abnormal. I bought the car new and for the first 8-12K I checked the oil on a regular basis because I did not have a history about this car/engine. I noticed that the oil does get dirty faster than my Chevy engines ever have and at 3000miles it was less than 1/2 qt low each time and I wrote that off as still engine break in time. After the first 12K miles I stopped checking it, the dealer never said it was low when it was in for service. So something happened between 12K and 26K that it is now using over a quart per 1000 miles. Something abnormal is going on with this engine. Definitely not acceptable in my book. It was my first Cadillac and I enjoy driving the car but I will not buy another. My 87 Monte Carlo SS 305 has 110000 miles on in and don’t burn 1 quart in over 3000 miles. That’s acceptable! Oil/filter change $18.00. I'll buy that.
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    My CTS is 5 years old and has about 54K miles. It's been one of the best cars I've ever owned. My engine goes 7500 to 8000 miles on an oil change with just a slight tint to the oil. There is almost no change on the dipstick measurement between oil changes.

My Goodyear tires have 36K miles on them and could go another 10 to 15K before replacement. They were originally replaced on a Goodyear recall at 18K miles. The only problem I have with them is they sing on etched concrete.

As for the CTS, I had a steering wheel sensor replaced (warranty) and a button that popped on a seat belt which was replaced under warranty. I did have some underbody damage from a tree branch I hit during a really bad rain storm, but Cadillac fixed that under warranty and even gave me a loaner during the repair.

My CTS experience has been exceptional and neighbors that leased a 2004 CTS, because they saw and drove ours, have just leased a new 2007 CTS Sport. They love their CTS too!
  • soxfan55soxfan55 Member Posts: 2
    I have had two CTS cars a 2003 and 2006 with sport apearance package. The 2003 had the rumbling from new which led me to have an inspection done at 50,000 miles leading to a new rear end installed (at factory expense). My 2006 had rear end leaks replaced three times and finally they replaced the complete rear end (12,000) miles. The 2003 was in the shop (I am not exagerating) 16 times in three years.

A very frustrating 2003 problem were my 17" (factory polished wheels). Two Goodyear tires blew out at highway speeds with no impact or other probs. I check my tire pressures and inspect every week and in close to a million miles of driving never had had a blow out. Goodyear denied there was a problem and destroyed the tire I had submitted. Previously Caddy had recalled this tire because of cosmetic reasons and replaced four. (sounds a bit suspicious also). Caddy said they could do nothing about tires.

Now the 18" tire is a Hi performance summer tire (great in the midwest winter) and nobody (three day wait) stocks it. They don't even make an all season recommended replacement.

Anyway, the CTS is otherwise a nice car but Cadillac falls way short of being a luxury brand. It is a chevy with donuts in the service waiting room.
  • stillunsurestillunsure Member Posts: 1
    I have 21K and the car is in for service for that very issue today. In fact, it has been there since Friday, last week. No indication from the service manager as to the problem, yet
  • dbieganskidbieganski Member Posts: 1
    Sorry to hear @ this, I am responding because I am having the same exact issue with my 2005 CTS. I bought the car with 43000 miles on it and the oil was low at the first oil change. I did not think to much about it then, but when driving to St.louis fron Michigan the car started to buck a little bit. I had no indication on the dash of engine trouble. I finnished my drive and went straight to the dealer. They told me I was 4 quarts low on oil! I was shocked because I had Apox 50% oil life and just @ my scheduled oil change mileage. I now have die in my oil form the dealer to find a leak. I'm pretty sure it is not leaking or I would find puddles in the driveway. The dealer is giving me trouble about getting an oil analisys because they want a fresh oil change and drive 500 miles then come back to get the sample. I work all over the midwest so this is not easy.

I am now @ 53000 miles and out of warentee. not to happy with my purchase!

I just wanted to ask you if you found the problem with your car?

Thanks, Dave
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    It is the owner/driver's responsibility to check the oil level at some reasonable interval (usually each time you fill the tank with fuel). If you have an oil level sensor (which seems not to be the case), then it should have indicated that the crankcase was low on oil. Oil life and oil consumption are not the same thing. Your engine may use a quart of oil every 2 to 3,000 miles.

If there is an oil leak the dye (not die) should show where it is coming from.
  • spyderman4g63spyderman4g63 Member Posts: 2
    I signed up for this site just to reply to this thread.

I also have a CTS (2004) with a 3.6l motor. I experience the exact same symptoms as the original poster. I started the car one day and it made a strange noise, went to check the oil and it wasn't on the stick. I put 2 quarts in and took it to the dealer. The dealer says they cannot find an oil leak. It also uses coolant, well it goes somewhere. The GM Dealer claims that they searched the database and nobody has this problem. However a simple google search will show you that these 3.6l motors have problems with oil usage.

So the dealer says they don't know what is wrong. I inspected the motor and found a minor leak on the rear main seal, but not enough to justify using 2-3 quarts of oil. The rear end also hums like some other people mentioned. I bought this car used with 20k miles on it and started to experience trouble within the first year. It now has 70k miles on it (long highway drives for work) and I am SOL because there was no warranty.

I would not recommend buying a 3.6l first generation cts. Use a search engine and you will find a ton of results for oil usage.
    So if I understand your post, you were checking the oil every week or every time you filled it with gas, and your car went from full of oil to being 2-3 quarts low in a hundred miles or so? :confuse: :sick:

If your coolant is also disappearing, then my guess is that you have a leaky head gasket.

My 2002 Seville used about 1 quart of synthetic oil every 2000 miles. The oil monitor requested oil changes every 10000 miles, so I added about 4 quarts in between changes. My 2007 SRX, with the RWD VVT northstar V8, has been much better on oil, needing none before the first oil change done @11,500 miles. The V6 is a different engine though.
  • mcspeechless1mcspeechless1 Member Posts: 1
    I want to replace the woofer on my 05 CTS. It sounds very distorted when the radio volume is turned up. I would also like to add navigation as well. I have found a factory nav unit and hopefully it is compatible and will work with my 05 CTS.
  • spyderman4g63spyderman4g63 Member Posts: 2
    "So if I understand your post, you were checking the oil every week or every time you filled it with gas, and your car went from full of oil to being 2-3 quarts low in a hundred miles or so? "

No. I would say about every 2500-3000 miles the car will be 2-3 quarts low. I am still having problems using oil and coolant and of course the dealer doesn't think anything is wrong.

Now I am thinking that i have a gasket problem (intake or heads). As soon as I can get something else to drive for awhile we are going to tear into it.

The rear end on the car hums pretty loud at high way speeds also. I thought it may have been the tires, but I got new tires and still humming. To be honest I think the car has a mind of it's own. Some days it doesn't want to idle right. I have to turn it off and back on and it idles (this is very rare). Also about tow weeks ago I back out of the drive way, put the car in drive and the car would not go anywhere. The screen displayed "stability system engaged" and I could only go about 4mph with the whole car vibrating. It seems like the traction/stability system was stuck on. I turn the car off and back on and it was fine since then. I give it another month and something else will decide to act up.
    While a quart every 1000 miles is a bit high, it may or may not be a problem. However, you should not be using coolant. The dealer needs to see the coolant loss, so you should not replace low coolant, but take it to the dealer and tell them its low. They should check for leaks.
  • cher11cher11 Member Posts: 11
    I have a CTS 2005 with 44,000 miles and I just had to have the rear end replaced. Has anyone had a problem like this and should I get an extended warranty for the next 3 years or should I get rid of this car now?? I can't believe this has happened with such low mileage. Any advice or info would be much appreciated. thanks Cher11
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    the early model CTS along with some other GM models that share the same differential have shared this problem..it isnt unique to the CTS..this same diff is used in the Pontiac Solstice..our 06 solstice just had the diff replaced for gear whining.....and metal shavings in the fluid..at 35K..there is also a TSB out for a pinion seal replacement on certain model year CTSs as well

an extended warranty on a 4 MY car with 44K would be expensive..if you could find an aftermarket plan...most are not worth it.....getting rid of the car for another is a financial decision.....at this point have you had any other problems with the car...did you pay for the diff or was it under warranty???
  • cher11cher11 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info. It is under warranty so it did not cost me anything. It has a 5yr/50,000 warranty. I don't drive more than 10,000 miles a year now since retiring. I have not had any other problems with the car.
    Thanks for helping my anxiety. Cher
  • wafflemanwaffleman Member Posts: 8
    ConsumerReports, TrueDelta, and Edmunds all seem to demonstrated average to below average reliability on the CTS.

What is your experience with 08 and 09 CTS? (good or bad). I know it's not very scientific - but informative non the less.
    too early to tell....09 CTS none DI RWD picked up in late Sept 08...11K on it now...not one problem.......one brake issue that the dealer fixed immediately
  • bp242_txbp242_tx Member Posts: 3
    Did or do you ever experience the vibration or shutter at idle I have read about the DI engine?

Thanks!
  • 87silver87silver Member Posts: 9
    I just got rid of my 2005 CTS. I bought it new and put 48000 miles on it. Never had a stitch of trouble with it. The only thing that I replaced was the tires. The Goodyear Eagles wore like pencil erasers.

Except for the fact that we are killing our own economy, would buying an Asian car do any better besides keeping up with our yuppie neighbors?
    I dont have the DI engine...I opted not to get it for the first year release......the non DI engine which is standard was the optional engine upgrade last year......quite happy with my choice.......have all option on mine less AWD and the DI engine option.

Had mine since late Sept 08......12,500 miles so far......and not one problem worth reporting....a minor issue the dealer quickly corrected.....
  • sacktracksacktrack Member Posts: 1
    at 43200 miles the timing chain need to be replaced. Due to the GM problems with $ in the fall I didnt get the repair completed by the dealer f0r 13 weeks!

At 44000 miles the water pump failed.

At 46500 miles the car need further timing chain repair: cam sprockets I was told, (and had the car back in 4 days). Yippee

I have not found any other reference to timing chain problems and both dealers making repairs (2nd time remote from our home) claimed this is a unique problem. As warantee is dropping soon Im going to ditch the car.
    My '05, which I traded for a 2009 in January, had the water pump replaced at 49,500 miles. That is quick failure for a water pump.
  • twain809twain809 Member Posts: 7
    I drive an '09 CTS DI RWD Manual Transmission. Car was purchased at the end of March 2009. Some four months later, the car's been in the shop 5 times:
    - twice to fix a misfiring ignition coil, which they had to replace the second time it was in the shop
    - three times for a clutch pedal sensor. car won't start if the sensor malfunctions. in the shop now as i write this post. will they fix it once and for this time around? i don't have confidence.

Only 4,000 miles on it. And just as many headaches and hassles. I know things happen like this, I only wish it wasn't the car I drove!
  • iwant12iwant12 Member Posts: 269
    I have been considering a preowned 08 CTS when the lease is up on my 4Runner. I really like the CTS but don't want to be on a first name basis with the Caddy service advisor (too many problems listed here on this forum have scared me). I did that with a 98 T/A. I loved the car but it was in the shop frequently. I'm on my second 4Runner since then and have never had one single problem with either one. Buyer beware, I guess.
    coming up on a year old...17K on it....only one minor problem with squealing rear brake...dealer working to fix it.....otherwise its been flawless.....fully loaded other than the DI engine.....
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Bought my 09 CTS on July 10, 2008. It has 14,000 trouble free miles on it.
  • oharamjoharamj Member Posts: 2
    I've been meaning to post my experience with an "04 CTS 3.6l- so here goes

Bough 2.5yrs ago as a certified used car from Cad. dealer in Milwaukee. I'm an engineer (exactly the demographic Cadillac are trying to market to - 35yrs old). It was a leap of faith buying a Cadillac but I thought I'd try it - the CTS looks great- mine is black with a regular base leather interior.

Here what has been done to it: (out of necessity- it recently hit 100k- so warranty expired)

2 Rear ends (complete diff [non-permissible content removed]'y)- Note last one was put in in Oct last year (when car was serviced recently dealer told me the oil from [non-permissible content removed]'y was black on one side of diff- so new fluid etc. put in). The car got stuck in grass at side of my driveway during bad snow in Wi in Dec - 2 min.s of trying to get it out- has almost killed the diff. clutch (nothing heroic- gently tried to one wheel onto tarmac) - I understand CTS's have an appetite for diff.s - either a design or Mexico AMM manufacturing problem- but this is a big ticket item.

1 Half shaft - drive to axle from diff.
    1 new seal- wheel hub (radial shaft seal)
    New engine chains & sprockets - complete timing chain replacement

Water pump gasket-#1 Coolant leak #1 (Dealer told me it was the gasket - took it to another dealer closer to home because 100k warranty was looming

Water Pump gasket#2 - Coolant leak#2 (I've worked in auto. selaing industry for large German company- know that seals/probabilities don't go bad twice in a relatively short space of time) - took it to a Chevy dealer closer to home- turns out the gasket was fine- the cylinder head was leaking

1 cylinder head job gasket and water pump- see above

AC - two trips to delaer to fix bad gaskets
    3 struts in front end ( one set only lasted a year)
    2 radios (stopped working)
    Leak in trunk
    Leak in floor well - driver's side - 2 trips to resolve
    Broken Vent switch, loose trim, peeling paint m ball joints, starting disabled because of sftware issue , bushings.....................etc

this is just what I can remember- there is no room in glove box for the encylopedia of invoices generated by dealer to fix problems- and I have no idea what was done to it by prior owner. (note each line item represents trip to dealer.

At 103k - the transmission / radiator closed loop cooling failer - send trans. fluid to red. and coolant to trans. - cost $4300 to fix. When car was picked up at dealer a few weeks ago- I'm told it developed a brake assist problem right there in the servicing bay and needs a new sensor- and the thermostat is lazy- all happened at dealer.

I had the car serviced at a Cadillac dealer religuously ( being an engineer I can appreciate maintenance) and also paid the $500 shoe and rotor regrind without complaint when the economy was in the toliet and the dealer was obviously balancing the books.

GM- with a serious push put 25% toward parts in the transmission fiasco- and more or less stated you are on your own- which is a major disappointment to say the least. I believe the official line was - " there are too many miles on the car and it's an 2004" - all of which is true- but the car was 3k over it's warranty (with what is a design fault), with a meticulously maintained car..............

GM have a lot of catching up to do quality wise.... I've driven the new CTS - and on the surface like it's earlier sibling- everything looks in order- but I can't take the risk again with this brand.

I don't believe in Lemons - systems failure happen because of just that- but all these items I've dealt with are isolated systems- which means exceptionally poor quality.- plain and simple I'm afraid.
    09 CTS with all options except AWD and the DI engine...purchased Sept08 with over 25K on it so far and not one complaint...best riding and driving car I have owned....

noting your Diff problems...the earlier MY CTS were notorious for the rear Diff failures....and they were a german manfacture was my understanding...(Getrag)...these were the same difs put in the early MY 06-07 Pontiac Solstices which suffered the same fate...leaks and clutch packs destroying themselves...it appeared it was a design issue...........Solstice was replaced twice as well with the last one a year ago solving the grinding sounds and leak issues...

the new CTS IMHO is far above the earlier MY ones......I would highly recommend it
  • pf562pf562 Member Posts: 4
    Have had my 08 cts in the shop on and off for 5 weeks and have ownd it for 6 months ant it still has a list of problems . GM is now saying that some of the problems are common for this car. Rough idle, can barly get 19 mpg on flat hwy. chugging at slow rolling speeds (Have It in writing). I thought this was a cadillac GMs flagship luxury division Do not buy a 3.6 FI 2008 . I have only heard good things about the DI cars. My FI car has only 34000 miles and runs like it has 300000 miles