Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Audio and Entertainment

Comments

• megarockmegarock Member Posts: 16
    Since I have added the Pioneer head unit I have to admit that there might be an arguable decrease in the FM sensitivity. This of course could be caused due to poorer FM reception (regardless of the Pioneer's "Super Tuner" bla-bla marketing s**t) but on other hand now the sound is much crisper and wider and previously existing white noise becomes more audible at present. But why listen to the radio when I have 160Gb hard drive hooked up! Traffic news...hardly!
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Megarock...I too noticed a decrease in the reception for FM stations as well when I installed my aftermarket Pioneer unit. Sounds like you don't have much of an issue with it. I hardly ever listen to the radio myself, so it's not a problem for me either.

By the way, do you have window tint on your rear window?
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    How about this thought ..... check the power source for the antenna booster that's used for the rear window antenna. By replacing the OEM radio you could have lost the power connection for that booster.................. that would cause poor reception on AM & FM
    THAT...is a good thought and highly possible. Considering Scosche took forever to get the wiring harness wired correctly to power the the OEM amp.
  • megarockmegarock Member Posts: 16
    I have no tint at all. I did my HU installation the barbarian way - I simply cut the wires and soldered what I needed and did not notice PIN 23 where you can see is the power for the booster:

Only thing that puzzles me is why there is a separate pin for this when the REM could have been used instead? Is the B+ 12v? I think it is most probably 5v (just like the set top box or the satellite radio) but then in the specifications there's nothing mentioned about a tuner booster!? I have a converter for 5v (cigarette type for 3$) which supplies power for the hard drive and I can use it to power also the booster

I'll check the previous posts as I remember some time ago there was a big discussion on the booster thing. If anyone can shed some light I will be more than grateful!
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...the old chop it up method. Yeah, I used to do that when I first started putting radios in cars. Boy...talk about headaches. With today's systems, harnesses are almost mandatory!

Good luck and let us know what you find out.
  • SilverBullet00SilverBullet00 Member Posts: 102
    Called Hyundai customer service, told them about my 08 Azera not having a cover in trunk to cover the speakers on May 1, today got the call from the dealer to come in and have the cover installed. Couldn't ask for quicker service. While at the dealer, looked in the trunk of another brand new 08 Azera, again no cover, must be a assembly line screw up.
  • wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Nope, it isn't an assembly-line screw-up, but rather a stupid penny-pinching exercise. Hyundai's flagship Genesis also doesn't have a cover for speaker in the trunk. The fact that they're installing one for you is just a goodwill exercise. Atleast, they're trying to keep customers happy.

I have cover on my 07 & my Azzy is still the best car for money I paid.
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    That's good service!...
    Rear speaker cover installed today, sure makes the trunk look more like a luxury car trunk and not that unfinished look. While at the dealer checked out three Genesis and none had the speaker cover installed, if I pay 36K for a car I'd expect it to be complete, shame on Hyundai trying to save $200 on a 36K sale.
    As an engineer, I deal with issues like this all day, every day. Engineer says a part that costs $5 but improves efficiency & reliability for a 30k product which sells 50k units a year.

The MBA comes swaggering in wearing a snazzy suit & says that if they don't install that part, they would save about 5x50k=250k a year, while forgetting the reliability consequences of not including that part.

Guess who wins? Let me give you a hint: not the Engineer.
    Funny thing is...to really "see" it, you have to get down on your knees and look up into the trunk. Honestly, most of the time...it's not even something you really look at. I think that's what Hyundai was thinking when they decided to exclude it.
    I agree with you, however they shouldn't list it in the IPB with a part number and price. If they wanted to exclude it, then Hyundai should delete it from the IPB and make it a accessory item that a customer would have to pay for. If anyone out there needs one, the P/N is 85720-3L100, Upper frame partition and clips. Contact Hundai at 800-633-5151 and file your case.
    You're absolutely right!!! ;)
  • sgtdevlinusmcsgtdevlinusmc Member Posts: 13
    Just unloaded a nightmare of a Buick Lucerne CXS which also had no cover. I guess that the econoMISERS (sic) are all over da place. Hmmm. Anyways, this Azera I just got is one heck of a sweet ride. Got the Limited with the Ultimate Package. Who could ask for anything more. My only issue is with the noisy tires. What made it worse was when I picked up the car all of the tires were inflated to 43 psi??? Took it in today and the dealer swapped out all of the tires; big, big difference in the ride....SemperFi
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Member Posts: 442
    Curious, what type tires were the replacements?
    van
  • daveltddaveltd Member Posts: 13
    I also have a 08. Called my local Dealer & gave them the Part # you gave. They say that has be ordered into Canada & would wholesale for $184.00 Canadian :mad: .[wife is staff]

What did they charge for yours? Also does it cover the sub & the rest of the package tray or just the sub.

Your help would be great.

Dave
    I have an '06 Azera and if the cover is the same, it should over the entired underside of the rear shelf.
    Hi Dave, It covers the whole area under the package tray and it is part of the car, you shouldn't have to pay a dime. Have your dealer contact the Hyundai regional rep and demand they complete the car and absorb all expenses. I didn't pay one red cent for the cover or installation (15 minutes). Hope this helps and good luck.
  • rminorrminor Member Posts: 40
    Can someone tell me what type connection is used on the factory radio for the XM antenna? The reason I ask is I have a Sirius radio that does many more things than the factory and would like to use it. I know in the portables XM and Sirius use the same connector.
  • dp54dp54 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if the RDM button will play songs randomly on all 6 CD's? I can only get it to play random tracks on the same CD. On my last car if you hit RDM once it would play 1 CD randomly. If you hit it twice, it played all CD's randomly. This doesn't seem to work on the Azera and the manual is no help!
    Unfortunately it would play randomly only from current CD.
    I own an '06 Azera and like Wobbly_ears said, it will only play randomly on 1 CD. It seems like a wasted function if your CD is loaded with regular CD's that only have maybe 15 tracks per disc, however....if you load a CD up with MP3's, playing randomly on a single disc is much less of a waste.
  • dp54dp54 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you allmet33 and Wobble_ ears. It's very disappointing but at least I know now and can quit trying to push different button combinations.
    No OEM system is ever perfect, you'll always find something lacking. For the most part, the OEM system in the Azera is really good. Only way to get what you truly want is to go aftermarket.
  • rance2rance2 Member Posts: 39
    Will welcome any guidance on how to hook up an Ipod to audio system on 2007 Azera Limited. If it means anything, I have the XM system installed. Any adaptors or other workarounds. Thanks.
  • sgtdevlinusmcsgtdevlinusmc Member Posts: 13
    I have an 08 with no provisions for my mp3 player. There is a cheap and easy fix for that with no wires showing at all. I purchased an adapter for my mp3 at walmart for about $40. You simply plug the power plug into the power outlet in the armrest console. The power plug has a built-in fm transmitter along with a station strenth selecter which tells you what fm station to tune to. Then it transmits the signal from you ipod or mp3 through your radio with no external wires dangling all over the place. Clean. Neat. Cheap. Effective Good luck to all; semperfi :)
    Thanks, Sergeant! What is the adapter called? Semper Fi. :)
  • parrotsquawkparrotsquawk Member Posts: 28
    As a new Azera owner, I have a "We Owe" list that is growing. What does the term "IPB" mean?
    FM Modulators are a cheap and effective solution if you live in an area that doesn't have stations broadcasting on all frequencies. Here in S. FL you have to change the frequency every 15-20 miles, so that option is not the optimal choice.

Another option (that someone else might have to figure the pin-outs for) is an intermediate harness between the head unit and the pre-amp with a relay-based switch: that is when the relay senses signal from the device, it switches the source from the factory radio to the alternative source. I had a similar issue with an older Mercedes but used a mechanical switch to change the source from the trunk-mounted CD changer to my Sirius radio.

If I can figure this out, I will make a slide-out for my Sirius Sportster for the tray underneath the Limited's Ultimate Nav.
    I received via email from LG a list of pinouts for the 2009 Nav/Radio head unit. :surprise:

I noticed that the 32 pin connector has two audio inputs for the XM radio:

Pin Signal Name I/O Description

4 AUX_AUDIO_L I XM AUDIO_L Input(L)
    20 AUX_AUDIO_R I XM AUDIO_R Input(R)

:confuse: Is the XM unit an outboard unit or built inside the head unit?
    :confuse: If it is outboard, perhaps an aux jack can be made to work there.

:confuse: Also, can anyone explain these two ports?

13 CAN_L I/O XM CAN_L
    29 CAN_H I/O XM CAN_L

TIA
  • elrlawelrlaw Member Posts: 20
    2 y.o. Azera w/42,500 mi. After sound system, in any mode, is playing for anywhere for 30 seconds to about 50 minutes, there's a "pop" through the sound system and the audio goes dead. The radio station display screen continues to show the station, the CD screen continues to indicate the CD is playing and continues to count time & etc. I turn the system off and immediately turn it back on and it resumes playing with audio until it fails again. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Also, with whom would I plead to try and get this problem covered under the warranty? Many thanks. Eric
    Eric,

Sounds like there could be a short. If you want, you can pull the radio out unplug every connection and re-install it making sure all connections are snug and secure. Here's a guide to explain how to remove the head unit...Head Unit Removal Guide

If it still does it, it would seem to be an internal problem with the head unit. Someone once posted on here that the entertainment system doesn't fall under the bumper-to-bumper warranty...if that's the case, you're SOL. At which point, you have two options...look around for an Azera owner such as myself that pulled the factory head unit out and replaced it with an after market unit and has the OEM unit available still...or, simply buy an aftermarket unit with all the bells and whistles you could ask for and swap out your OEM unit. If you're concerned about losing steering wheel control, there's a company that makes interface units so that aftermarket units can be controlled using the steering wheel controls.

There's a lot you can do, it's just a matter of what do you really want to do?

Good luck!
    any chance you could take a picture of the cover and post it up somewhere?
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    Entertainment system is only covered for 3 yr/36k miles...
    Thanks...like I said, I remembered someone mentioning it wasn't covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. However, when you hear bumper-to-bumper...you would think that it would be included. Guess that's just another of life's oxymorons. :confuse:
    Thanks. All "sound" advice. LOL. It occurred to me maybe replacing the head unit to get one with a USB port for an IPod might be in order anyway. Do you have any thoughts on which aftermarket units fit easiest & best into the Azera? Thanks again, Eric
    Eric,

It's pretty much anything goes in regards to what can work in the Azera opening. You can go with a single din (regular sized radio) and end up with a pocket above or below the radio, or you can go with a double din (which is what the OEM unit is if you have the Infinity system).

Kenwood has a very nice unit that has a USB plug on the front...
    Kenwood DPX-503

Pioneer has a very nice unit as well...
    FH-P800BT

JVC has a nice offering too...
    JVC KW-XG700
    Again, thanks for your advice.

Checking with a local automotive/marine (supposedly high end) audio system supplier & installer I was told my "sound cut off" problem is a failed Infinity amplifier. I was further told that because my Infinity speakers will only work with the Infinity amp, not only will I have to replace the audio unit, I'll have to replace the speakers too. Does this make sense to you? Why would presumably passive Infinity speakers not be usable as long as the wiring, ohms & etc., all matched up with the new unit? What am I mssing here? Thanks, Eric
    If it is the amp, then you can actually take a look at it...make sure the connections going into & out of the amp are snug & secure. If you still have issues, contact Harman-Kardon's OEM department and see if they can do anything for you since they are the manufacturer. I know they've helped some out with actually changing the specs on the amp for a couple of Azera owners that thought the center channel speaker was too strong. The amp is located behind the rear seat on the passenger side. Pull the trunk liner out and you'll see it.

Also...if it's cutting off and on, it would seem to be a short somewhere. You could pull all the speakers to make sure all the connections are secure with those as well. Ultimately, if you secure all connections coming off the radio and going to the speakers and at the amp and it still is acting up, it would be an internal issue with the amp.

Anyway, the speakers can be replaced independently of the radio. That's the joy of an outboard amp as opposed to the set-up Bose employs. Heck, if you wanted to, you could by-pass the factory amp if you really wanted to. It would take a bit of work, but you could easily install an aftermarket unit and run speaker wires back to the trunk where the OEM amp is and splice them into the wires that are the output wires from the amp.

As far as replacing speakers go...all the speakers are 2 ohm impedence except for the tweeters. The sub is a dual 4 ohm sub, which creates a 2 ohm load at the amp. However, you can switch up to 4 ohm speakers if you want, there will be a slight drop in output since the impedence will be higher.

I've already provided you with a guide to remove the radio, I also have a guide to replace the door speakers and the center channel speaker if you decide to go that route.
  • bmb1767bmb1767 Member Posts: 64
    My salesman hinted at me that there is a way to bypass the issue with the DVD player only working if the car is in park, but would not elaborate. I see the safety reason for it, but if I am traveling with children (or adults for that matter) I would want it to play.

Is this possible? :confuse:
    I haven't dealt with the factory nav/dvd players in the Azera. I know with aftermarket units it can be done. I would think that it could be done with an OEM unit, it's a matter of finding the wire that you would need to "short" to make the unit think the car is in park. However, with aftermarket units, they have the ability to operate in dual zones...meaning the unit in the dash won't allow you to see the movie playing, but the monitors in the back will get to view.

It has been said...anything is possible, question is...how far are you willing to go to make it happen. You would have to find someone that knows how to do it and do it on the side. No reputable shop will do it because they don't want that on their hands should an accident take place, then the owner of the car sues them.
    About to have 30,000 mile service. Dealer service offers the "minimum" recommended at $385 and "superior" at $465. Any advice/experience with these choices will be appreciated. :confuse:
    only thing i can think of...conventional oil vs. synthetic oil.
    Nope. The lady who booked my appointment rattled off a number of additional services, e.g. lube door hinges, engine additive and other stuff I didn't make a note of. Starts to sound like an upsell with minimum value to enhancing the performance/durability of the car ... but I remain open to other comments. :confuse:
    Doesn't sound worth it to me. From what I've read, one should be suspect of the value of "additives" & "flushes." Some may even hurt your vehicle and can void warrantees. Be careful to distinguish between the dealer's "service pack" and what's in fact required by the manufacturer to maintain warranty. Ask the dealer to point out where, specifically in the owner's manual, the service they want you to buy is expressly required by the manufacturer to maintain the warranty. Eric
    Definitely sounds like an upsell. I hate this about dealerships, they always seem to be looking to cheat the customer.

Tell them that you ONLY want what is recommended by Hyundai be done. No 'flushing' or 'additives' BS. Get quotes from other dealerships Infact, Hyundai SPECIFICALLY tells you not to get some of these bogus flushing or additives & you'd risk warranty being voided if something untoward happens. Why would you believe the dealer over the manufacturer (you know, the people who designed, engineered & built the damn car)??

Also, I'm sure that they would have quoted like $50 for Cabin Air Filter replacement & some $60 for Air Filter change. Buy these two OEM Hyundai parts from the parts department & change them yourself. These parts aren't all that expensive & are very very very easy to change. (You don't need any tools or even need to get your hands dirty. The user manual has step-by-step instructions with pictures. It's easier than even putting gas in your car!!). Takes 5 minutes max.

Why can't dealership service departments be honest? Do they always have to be so deceitful?? Do the manufacturer recommended service & stop trying to BS about upsell.

Is there something wrong about earning a honest day's work & not cheating people?? (Sorry, I get a little irritated when I hear stories about people getting screwed at dealerships)
    Wow...that's crazy. I know my dealer hates me, I never take it in for the extra stuff they advertise. The only thing I take mine to the dealer for is to get the transmission & radiator flushed & filled. Everything else, I take care of myself. When I hit 100k miles, I'll go buy my own spark plugs and have them put them in for me. I did this with my Sonata, and the dealer wanted to charge me $13/plug for the champion plugs that I paid $2.75/plug for.

In my opinion, go with the cheaper option as it will take care of everything that needs to be taken care of. With what gasolines have in them these days...you don't need any engine additives, I've driven my Azera for over 77k miles and the door hinges haven't been lubed yet with no squeaks or anything.

Like Wobbly said...you can get an oil filter for under $10 and the cabin filter is around $20...from the dealer. RockAuto.com sells the cabin filter for $10, and it's VERY easy to change out, as is changing the oil.
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    Amen...Had plugs changed on my Santa Fe and it was close to $400..Platinum plugs for $16 each...labor unreal...they had to remove the intake plenum to change
    the plugs.....Cabin air filter on the Azera...go to Wally World and get a disposable AC filter for a home unit....cut it to fit the Azzy....Usually less than $5 and you have enough left over or about 2 additional filters....
    Check the maintaince schedule (little folder with mileage and months of service) and you will get a good idea of what is required....
    I guess I was lucky...I got them changed when I had the timing belt replaced, so all I had to do was pay for the plugs and they did it while they were in doing the timing belt.

I actually did what you described with the cabin filter just recently. I'm embarassed to admit that this was the first time I changed my cabin filter...simply because I didn't know how until seeing the posts on how to do it. Then I simply got lazy until I started getting a musty odor every time the a/c was turned on.