Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    This past summer, I had my exhaust redone on my Jeep, and got a check engine light many miles from home while camping in Maine on Labor Day weekend. Turns out the O2 sensor was bad or something. In an effort to quell the check engine light, I pulled the battery leads off, and one of the posts got loose as well. I have been driving around with a loose + post since then. I figured why replace it if it works? In this cold weather (around 0-15 degrees Farenheit), it has been starting slower and slower. Anyhow, last night it gave up the ghost when going to the store, and died in a precarious spot on a corner. I was narrowly missed several times, and nobody got out to help. I ended up loosening the connection with pliers, and tightening again. It was enough to get it so I could roll start it in reverse when no traffic was coming (had to wait quite a while for that!).

Anyhow, I got her going, called the wife, had wife follow me home, then took wife out to eat (too late for dinner by then) and went to a CAP for a new Exide battery at like $56. Popped that in this AM, and everything seems fine. One of these days before next inspection, I'll have to think about a new O2 sensor.
  • bankheadbankhead Member Posts: 2
    I am the new owner of a 2003 Sahara package Wrangler with both tops. I am looking for information which I'm sure has been discussed in the past, on hoists, both manual and power, to remove and store the hardtop. Looking for how well they work, ease to install, manual vs electric, where to buy, etc. Is the electric worth the extra money?
    Any help would be appreciated. Glad to be a new member of the jeep family.
  • wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    hey tom did i make you mad ?
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    WELCOME AND CONGRATULATIONS! Glad you found us here, and please make yourself at home.

Hey, come on, tell us all the goodies about that new Jeep! What color did ya get? Auto or five speed? Talk dirty to us! This is the place to tell all about your Jeep and no one gets bored hearing about it.

I don't have a hoist, but I would love to have one. I've just spent the little money I have after making payments for mods for the Jeep and have let the hoist slip down the priority list.

Larry18 has a hoist, and I think he is very happy with his. Maybe he will post and tell you about it.

Once again, welcome! Make this place your daily hang out.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    No, you didn't make me mad. You DID have me worried about ya, cause it sounded like you were driving your Jeep up on someone's car that they were still using. That wouldn't be very nice, huh?

That old "Golden Rule" sure works real nice. I know I wouldn't appreciate someone driving up on my car, even if it was an old clunker. So, I wouldn't do it to someone else. I'm glad you cleared it up that you weren't doing that. :)

Tom

i was just waiting for you to say something about the bar story. i'll only drive on cars that have been left as trash. as you could see in the photos i sent you that car was gone.did you get the dog photo? i sent you that becouse i know you love dogs. man dose the dog love the jeep. he would stay in there alday if you let him. some times he don't want to get out. it did kind of freek him out when i was driving on the car.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    How are you doing with the weather? It sure sounds like the whole east coast is getting hit hard. They were saying many people don't have power, etc. I hope all those Jeepers in the east are safe. Here the sun is out, they are predicting 70s, maybe 80 in the valleys and that tomorrow's storm will stay north. Can you guys send some of that snowy weather my way?
    We only got about three or four inches of snow, then it turned to freezing rain, then back to snow for an additional inch or so.

Nothing to get too excited about, but more than our usual amount of snow for one storm.

Was hoping for a much bigger one! :(

Tom

• bankheadbankhead Member Posts: 2
    Well thanks for the reply to tsjay. Hopefully Larry18 will reply also. The new toy is the Shale Green,2003 Sahara Package with the automatic.Fun and easy to drive. Just can't wait for the spring to get the hardtop off and the top down.If anyone has any info on the hardtop removal hoists that are available, please let me know.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Welcome to the BOARD!!
    Congrats on the JEEP.
    I have the hoist(not electric) Its pretty easy to install. Just make sure it is installed corectly. I use it all summer long to store the hardtop, works out well. Make sure the weight is evenly distrubuted.
    When you lower it,make sure the doors are open or off. I forgot scratched my doors pretty bad.
    If your gonna use the hoist to store the hardtop. I really dont see a reason for the electric model. Your only gonna use it twice a year.

Hope this helps
    BamaTazz
    It doesn't look bad at all there. Where's all the bad stuff that they are talking about on the radio? The way the media is playing it around here, it is a major deal in parts of the east.

Here's a link to a web cam that is only about 10 miles away from me. As you can see (if it is daylight) we need rain badly. Any type of moisture would be appreciated, especially the frozen kind!

http://www.lonejuniper.com/grapevinecam/

Shale green is BEAUTIFUL. I love that color. It's that greenish grey, right? I've seen one that color, and it was really sharp.

Tom

• jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    I had a little over 6" at my camper. The official measurement at Annapolis was 7". What was so bad about the storm was that the snow was coming down at a rate of 1" per hour during the morning rush, this made travel all most impossible. So they closed the space center and we got a snow day.
    P.S. my Jeep is still in the body shop 32 days and counting.
    Have a Great day Walt
  • rhighrhigh Member Posts: 6
    Is there anyway to raise the front seats in the 2003 jeeps? The new seats are about 3 inches lower. Has anyone raised theirs? Also many years ago when I had a CJ5 it slid very bad in wet weather, how are the new TJs?
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    I haven't had any problems sliding or skidding in wet weather with my TJ. It stays so dry here that when it does rain, there is a lot of oil, etc. on the roads that can make them pretty slick. Since I started out with a CJ, I am a pretty defensive and parnoid driver.

I was cut-off the other day while driving on ice and I felt the ABS kick in. It is so hard not to pump the brakes under those conditions. But, they did help me keep control of the Jeep and I am now an ABS believer.
    The only time I've slid with my '98 has been on ice (and my mistake) - never in the wet. Like shill3 we have hundreds of days without a drop of moisture, and then we'll have just enough to wet the roads.

I have Bridgestone Dueller AT tires on now and noticed a definite difference between them and the Goodyears. It feels more sticky with them. I've often thought about going with true snow tires during the winter, but haven't since the majority of my driving is on warmer roads.

I don't have ABS but I want it on my next vehicle. I was cut off once on a perfectly dry freeway in the Taco and locked up the brakes trying to not hit the idiot. The back end started skidding out toward the next lane, so now I know why locking your brakes is a bad thing!
    since I wheeled! This is killing me! I haven't been since a week ago yesterday! (The day after Thanksgiving)

With this snow on the ground, I guess it's not the end of the world that I couldn't find anyone to go with me today. There's lots of places where you have to skirt around the edge of a deep rut or something, and with the snow on, I might not be able to see the edge well enough, or I might slip over the edge and get high centered or otherwise stuck.

Oh, well. That's the way it goes sometimes, I guess. Maybe NEXT Saturday will be a wheelin' day.

Tom

I'm not feeling so winter-deprived today. We had a bit of rain last night so instead of hitting the dirt roads this morning I headed over to Mt. Pinos. What a difference 2,000 feet plus feet make! There was about an inch of fresh snow and I was the first one on the trail. It was so cool to be the first set of tracks on the trail (probably about the third set of tracks to the parking area). The Wrangler with the Dueller AT tires did as well as I remember from last year - no slipping at all.

Now I have a question about the Wrangler's 4x4 system. How much slippage do you really need to keep from binding up in 4x4? The snow had started to melt when I was heading down this morning, so I had a bit of everything - snow with some ice in the shade, wet where melted snow was running off, and some mostly dry spots in the sun. I ended up just putting it in 2WD and driving slower and more carefully, but I wondered if I could have left it in 4x4 longer without problems (it would increase my comfort level if I could have remained in 4 hi longer).

By the way, my poor hiking buddy can barely move this afternoon. He is getting old (over 9 now) and terribly stiff after playing for several hours (and 4 plus miles) in the snow. Guess I'll have to be more careful with him this winter...
    That's what I do too when the snow is intermittent on the road. I really don't think it's good for the drive train to run in four wheel drive on dry pavement.

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    There was something in one of the DC publications about driving on partly snowy roads with the command trac 4wd system. They said that on straight stretches of interstate that the system would be fine for 1/10 mi. stretches of clear pavement if there were mixed snow covered roads and clear pavement. If you're on really twisty mtn roads, I'd go with 2wd and pull it into 4HI right before I got to any snowy stretches. I'm pretty sure the command trac can be shifted from 2HI to 4HI and back at speeds of up to 50mph. If the roads are wet and the drivetrain binds up, it's easier for the drivetrian to unbind.

-twylie
    That's pretty much what I thought. Yes, you can put it in 4Hi up to 50 mph, though I wouldn't be driving that fast on iffy roads up here. In fact, I don't drive that fast on the road up Mt. Pinos in the summer! I did go in and out of 4hi on the upper portions of the road, but the further down I got the further apart the iffy patches were, and they looked (and sounded) more like slush and not so slippery, so I just left it in 2WD. I'd rather slow down and be careful in 2WD than to have the drivetrain bind up!
    Here's a copy of my announcement. The date shows December 9th, but it was in the wee hours of the morning when I made that post. It was on Friday afternoon, December 8, 2000, that I picked up Thelma Jane.

Man, the same vehicle for two years is unbelieveable for me, and especially to be so excited after two years and not even THINKING about trading!

#490 of 7698 Father and baby girl united! by tsjay Dec 09, 2000 (02:58 am)

Well, my good friends, Thelma Jane and her Daddy are together now! Picked her up this afternoon.

She was so beautiful I almost cried!

I was afraid my memory of the white Jeep I had seen this summer had been exaggerated, and I was afraid of a let down when I finally got to see Thelma Jane. Not! She was even MORE beautiful than I had imagined.

We are hitting it off real well. I live 45 miles from the dealer where I bought her, so our first drive together was a nice long one. She handled beautifully, didn't have too much wind or road noise, had a smoother ride than I expected, and the radio sounds much better than I thought it would. That subwoofer really helps.

I think I'll have trouble sleeping tonight. I will want to go out in the garage and sit in her.

I got a good taste for how little room there is for storage, though. It is dark by the time I get home from work, and, since there's no electricity in my garage, I hadn't cleaned out the back seat and trunk in the Grand Prix. I didn't think I was going to be able to get everything in the Jeep!

I'm not complaining. If Jeeps weren't so small they wouldn't be as much fun to drive. They just wouldn't be Jeeps.

I had to try out 4wd high and 4wd low in my yard when I got home. The neighbors probably think I have lost my mind, with my driving around the house several times.

I LOVE HER!!!!!!!

Have YOU hugged YOUR Jeep today?

tsjay
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    I have a Hoist-a-Top I bought last spring. I opted for the electric model because it allows me to operate the hoist with one hand and guide the top with the other. If I bought another hoist it would be an electric one. I have had no problems with mine. Take the time to adjust the hoist properly when you install it. It takes few minutes the first time to get the top to balance as it should. I used the extra pulley that is supplied with the hoist to reduce the speed of the winch. When my hoist arrived it was missing an eye bolt to attach the hoist frame. I called the manufacturer and he was great! I had the part within a couple of days. My only only wish is that the remote had a longer cord.
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Man, I think I feel a tear welling up.:)

Congrats on the anniversary. Going to trade her for a Rubi when she is paid off?

I just get this picture of you and R.A. tooling around in a Dodge 2500 with 4x4 and a Cummins Turbo diesel.

Glad you are still happy.

Still a happy camper.
    About time we heard from you! I assume you are feeling better now?

I ain't tradin' Thelma Jane for a Ruby or anything else! She will most likely be my one and only Jeep, since I got into Jeeps at such an advanced age. :)

Tom

• smedcougarsmedcougar Member Posts: 27
    Seriously, congrats tomster. I had to stop just short of my goal to get mine but, I know it'll happen eventually...hopefully after I get done with school and get that teaching job!

And a big congrats to bankhead! I'm partial to the Sienna color myself :) I get teased by tomster and the rest of the crew getting the cougar, but til I get my Jeep I needed a vehicle that I liked and had a 7/70,000 warranty til I got my baby :) Got the name all picked out just have to wait a bit til I can get one and give it it's name.

Well, I've got alot to do for my last class...Finals week still stinks even for a 39 year old.

Have a great week and hug your Jeeps for me! ;)

smedcougar
    tsjay - Now don't say that's your one and only Jeep. My noble black steed is NOT going to be my last Jeep and our ages aren't all that different. If I could only win the lottery I'd get a Rubicon to go with my Sport, then I would have one for everything! With that kind of income I wouldn't worry about the gas mileage!

oceantoad - glad you are still around. Hope Texas is treating you well. I got to ride a friend's new pony today and it brought back so many happy memories of Copperas Cove and the horses I had there.

Deb - Glad to see you are still hanging in there - that Jeep will come when it is supposed to. Just don't wait until you are as close to 50 as I am to get yours!

And to everyone one else who is digging out (anon?) - go have fun with your Jeeps in the snow. We'll be taking the Jeep to the beach this week for a few days. I know there is a place close to where we'll be staying that lets you drive on the beach. Maybe I'll have a new experience - snow one day and sand a couple of days later. We'll see...
    over at rob site were getting a snow run together.i can't wait. it will be the frist time i drove the jeep in the snow. we'll be camping out too. that beach photo looked real good did'nt it tom. just part of living in cal. surf to snow in just a few hours.
  • smedcougarsmedcougar Member Posts: 27
    Thanks mntgal! If things go as planned I should be student teaching by next Spring...if I make it. ;)

Well, thank goodness today or yesterday considering the time I'm writing this, was my last final of the semester....YAHOOOOOO!!! I definitely need a break! I plan to take a couple of days off the day after New Years to enjoy myself for a change.

I'm kinda tired after such a long day so I'll cut this short. If I don't get to chat with most of ya between now and the end of the holidays you all have an awesome Jeepster's Christmas and a Great New Year! And if ya go jeepin...stay safe and watch out for those people that stare at your beautiful Jeep...they just don't understand. ;)

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)
    smedcougar
    Word is that there will be two Camp Jeep events in 2003, one on each coast. Also, the Saturday events will be open to all vehicle owners.

Which is more fun, Camp Jeep or a Jeep Jamboree?
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Hey Deb, long time no chat! Where have you been? Hang in there it'll all be worth it when you finally start to teach. If you need any help with school AIM me, I'll also put my AIM name here for anyone else. I'm jeepinkahuna. Have fun with your vacation,
    Kahuna
    hey kahuna , i saw you over at rob's site. do you come here a lot ? i don't think i've seen you before.
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Hey wheelerman, yea, I come here every day. I've actually been around for years...I just rarely post :) I have a yellow and black X, my third Wrangler, I definitely need mods though! I mostly chat at Gill's with many people here. Rob actually goes to Gill's quite a bit but with the birth of Rob Jr. he doesn't have as much time. I've seen Tom ask you to come over to Gill's for a chat. You should come over. (You're not betraying Rob or anything:) and as Tom says, it's totally free of banners. Gill is a really great guy to host all of that for free. It's been pretty slow lately with the holiday but at times it is packed and can get pretty lively. You haven't lived 'till you've heard one of Tom's jokes! j/k :) Anyone up for Gill's tonight?
    I think youngturk may have asked about this a while ago, but I decided to try and find a way to get an external MP3 player's signal to the factory CD deck. I tried a freestanding FM modulator (the iRock) and it worked OK, but not great. I finally settled on an inline modulator that plugs into the antennae jack behind the glove box. It's hardwired and you can set it to one of 3 FM statiosn on the low end of the dial. So far it looks like a decent solution. The "right" answer is to get an aftermarket deck that supports an AUX input, but for now a new radio is down on my list of Jeep to-dos. If anyone has a tape deck, I found the Radio Shack tape adapter works better than the ones from Sony or Jensen.

-twylie
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    What are you doing for a subwoofer?

I just had an Alpine head unit and 4 new speakers installed (I ahve the factory soundbar).

It sounds great but I really miss the bass I get from the subwoofer in my Lincoln LS.

Anybody else have Sub ideas?

Alas there is not much room in the TJ!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    This one is specifically designed for the Wrangler and fits in the center console:

http://www.shopsunshine.com/Item.asp?Pid=735&Item_Id=clapswjpw10158973

I have one, and while it won't impress anybodys kids, it's more than adequate to round out the standard system. It's listed as being suitable for '97 to '00. I'm not sure if the console changed after that date, or if it's just because the factory system became available then.

Finally, for around $10-$15, Clarion make an adaptor harness that allows a true plug in installation. I bought the sub kit on eBay and the harness from Crutchfield.

There are many other solutions but this works well for me.

I have the factory "sub" in ours. Takes up the lower 2/3 of the center console but puts some of the bottom back in tunes. Not what I'd call a real sub, but considering it's completely hidden and takes up no room, I decided to get it when we ordered ours. My understanding is that you can retrofit the sub console to the 97-00 Wranglers without too much difficulty. The amp is internal so you just need to tap the rear channels for signal and run a trigger wire with ground.

I have an MTX Thunderform in my Explorer and it puts out some real bass. I wish they made one for the Wrangler.

-twylie
    Thanks for the info.

I did a search on Jeep Wrangler Subwoofer on Ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1944395536

I think it is promising as the sub will fire into the back seat and not into thin air.. I already have a tuffy secure trunk so I can remove it and put this in.

decisions decisions....

from Pismo and did take the Wrangler out on the beach. It was OK, I guess, and I had fun watching a truck get stuck in the sand (amazing how fast one tire can dig a hole), but sort of boring after a while. Might have been more fun in the sand dunes, but it seemed like it was all ATVs there, and I had visions of getting really stuck going someplace I had no business going to in a car because I didn't know better. I really am more interested in mountain stuff. But at least I got off-road and had a real excuse to use 4Hi!
    I've heard the sound deck ( I think that's what theat sub enclosure you posted a link to is called) is suppose to sound pretty decent, but you'll lose all the space behind the rear seat. Having the sub in the console actually works pretty well. It opens to the driver's right hip and puts the bass up closer to the front passengers. Check one out the next time you're at a dealer. Before we bought ours I tried the regular 4 speaker setup against the one with the sub console and decided the console mount was worth the $200 or so that it cost.

-twylie
    Has anyone raised the seats in the 2003 jeeps, and how did you do it? I like the new 4 speed trans but feel like I'm sitting in a hole compared to the 2002 and prior jeeps.
    Thanks
    i've seen a kit for the tj's before that would raise the seat one in. . i just don't know who makes it. do you take your jeep offroad ? i've heard a lot of bad things about the new 4 speed.
    In the market for a new or used jeep cant decide get a new or 97-02 last jeep CJ-5. Whats wrong with the 4 speed auto trans.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I wish I had a way to LOWER mine. (1997 TJ Wrangler Sport).
    I wish there was a way to make mine go back about 2 more inches (I am 6' 4" and have long legs).
    I have the sound deck and it does sound great (hey, it's the first Jeep I've ever had with a radio!). But, it does take up what little space you have behind the rear seat. And, to hear it up front at highway speeds, you have to blast out your rear passengers.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Buy a YJ. They have much more leg room.
    the only gripe I've heard about the new 4 speed auto is that on extreme climb angles, the tranny can lose pressure and not allow you to go forward or backward, you have to roll back to more level ground to get the tranny to engage again. You can search in the Rubicon board on JU and find some posts about it. It appears to only happen at VERY steep angles.

-twylie
    The "only" gripe? Whoa! That is scary! I would hate to be in the middle of a real steep climb or descent and have to put the thing in neutral and roll back to level ground. All you would have going for you is the brakes then, with no compression braking.

I prefer the good old five speed manual anyway.

Tom