Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Hyundai Azera Owners Experiences

Comments

• wobbly_earswobbly_ears Member Posts: 160
    Yes, floor mats have been blamed for unintended acceleration in many cars. Recently there was a recall for Lexus about the floor mats where the drivers wouldn't secure the floormats & they would get stuck under the brake pedal preventing the drivers from stopping. Better make sure that the mats are secured.

I'm curious as to which Weather Tech mats did you buy. I bought a set directly from WeatherTech's site. The ones I have are cut to fit Azera. It doesn't get under the pedals & there isn't much chance of them getting stuck there. Did you happen to buy WeatherTech's generic mats? I would advice you to get vehicle-specific ones.

Another suggestion I would give is to raise the Pedals if you have the Power Pedals (comes with Limited Ultimate package). Raise the pedals so that they're a little more above the floor.
  • rmcbainrmcbain Member Posts: 50
    We purchased a 2007 Azera in Oct. 07 and have experienced a few minor problems. The right drivers light burnt out after only 200 miles but the dealer mailed us a new bulb and we had it replaced by our local dealer.
    Just last week while driving the windshield developed a stress crack on the passenger side lower area below wiper arm. We took it to the local dealer and they are attempting to have a warranty issue resolved on this.
    Yesterday while washing the car which we never let get dirty we found small cracks on both rear quarter panels where the rear doors meet the panel. Has any one seen or heard of this problem.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Sounds like that car had been through something before it even got to the dealer. Stress cracks on the windshield and cracked fenders!!! Are the fender cracks only in the paint or is the crack all the way through the sheet metal?

Personally, I haven't heard of these problems at all.
    The car has been carefuly driven and only on dry pavement. The stress crack in the windshield appeared when we went to drive the car one morning. It has grown to cover the entire passenger viewing area.
    Regarding the cracks in the fenders at the lower portion of the rear doors it is in the clear plastic coating they have installed at the factory. It appears that the curve was too tight and caused the plastic to crack. No biggie as weare going to have them remved and intall a different type of clear protection in that area.
    I wasn't implying that YOU had done anything to the car...go back and read, I said it sounded like the car had been through something before it got to the dealer...like maybe on the transport or something or it could have just been a defective windshield to begin with. At any rate...should be taken care of by the warranty with no issues at all.

There's a clear plastic coating???
    Dear Allmett33: I think you misunderstod as I was not implying that we had done anyting to the car. It is a simple windshield stress crackwhich I have seen on a few Santa Fe's as well. The plastic is a protective four inch piece at the lower portion of the rear door on the fender which is probably there to protect from road debris in the winter. Hope this clears it up.
    I think the message is getting lost in translation. I never indicated that I thought you had done anything to the car. My original posting in response to yours was just a simple statement that something could have happened to the car before it even got to the dealer where you bought it from...then after the reply, I thought about the fact that it simply could have been a defective windshield.

Far be it for me to think that someone would spend anywhere between $25-30K for a car and go out and mess it up like that. I would never think that.

As far as the plastic coating, I know some cars have it and I'm sitting here actually trying to remember if my Azera has it or not. I have to wait till I get home to check to be sure. However, if I can't recall and it is there...must be a good thing that I don't see it, right? ;)

I've heard of the 3M clear coating that is out now. Some folks have done it with success, some have not been so happy with it. All I can say is good luck with it.
  • donnahdonnah Member Posts: 7
    I purchased a 2007 Azera Limited Nov. 2007. I also experienced two incidents of uncontrolled acceleration as you described, also thinking it was the floor mat. The first time it did seem as if the accelerator was stuck on the floor mat (I bought an all weather type floor mat). Like you I shifted into neutral, but will try the braking instead should this happen again. I believe I read or the salesman told me that if the Azera reaches too many RPMs, the engine (or something) will cut out so as not to damage the engine. Not sure if that is true, though. Keep us posted if you follow up with service on this or have more problems. What a fast car!
    I bought a 2007 Azera Limited (beige) Nov. 2007. In Dec. 2007 I took the car in as there was a small (1/2") spot on the hood. The service manager agreed it was dirt under the paint (could not be buffed out). He said I would have to wait for the regional paint inspector to come look at it. This paint inspector comes once a month to the dealership. In January the service manager forgot to call me to bring the car in when the inspector was there. In February, they gave me a 1 day notice which was not enough time for me change my plans. They did not call in March. On 4/7/08 I called the sales person who told me to call the Service Director. The Service Director has yet to return my phone call. I called a different Hyundai dealer and they have the same policy, have to wait a month for some regional paint inspector, who only gives the dealers a 2-3 day notice. Am I getting the run arround? Any suggestions as to how to get this paint problem fixed? They probably don't think it is worth their money to fix the spot as it is not large. But I am concerned about my resale value. I plan to keep the car several years as I love it, but so far I am totally bummed at how they are handling this problem.
    I love the interior (beige/wood trim). Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. A UAW friend of mine commented "why can't American car companies build cars with such good looking interiors" when he first looked at my Azera. He said the dash and trim were of good quality for the price. I get many compliments on how great the Azera looks and rides. No rattles, noises, etc. I purchased the 2007 Azera Limited in Nov. 2007, have just under 5,000 miles, and average 18.5 MPG (but I can run 87 octane instead of premium as my previous car needed). I call the Azera the poor man's Cadillac.
    I also bought the WeatherTech floor mats, made to fit the Azera, and had the same problem with the accelerator. They don't hook the the floor and do slip a little forward, so I keep checking and pulling them farther back. I will see if I can trim that area of the floor mat.

What about the Azera Limited with adjustable foot pedals? Could an adjustment be made that way that would prevent this problem?
    Donnah...I had a paint issue with my Azera as well. On my trunk lid, there's a spot where it looks like the metallic flake is more concentrated in a small spot (about 1.5" in diameter). It doesn't jump out at you, but it can be seen. I don't know about a paint inspector, but I do know a regional Hyundai rep makes rounds to all the dealerships montly. I was fortunate enough to run into him while he was visiting one of the dealers. What they were willing to do for me was to get the trunk lid re-painted at a body shop on their dime.

I haven't done it as I said earlier, the spot doesn't jump out at you. Actually...you can really only see it when the sun is shining down on it. When I bought the car, it was in the evening and for the next couple of weeks, we had cloudy/rainy weather so I never got the chance to inspect it. However, the first time I got to wash the car...the sun was shining and viola...there it was.

I would think that if they are saying it's dirt under the top clear coat and actually IN the paint...they should do something to take care of it as it is under warranty. I would speak to the main manager of the dealership or even ask to speak to the owner concerning the issue. I would also contact Hyundai Corp in California and get your complaint logged so you have a paper trail with Hyundai.

Good luck!
  • carolinabobcarolinabob Member Posts: 576
    I had a problem getting connected with the regional service manager for the Southeast (Atlanta GA). I called the Hyundai call center and they finally manged to contact the regional SM for me. Complicated process and you have to be flexible with your time.
    BTW, my experience with California is that if you contact them, they refer you to the call center for them to handle it. The call center people do seem to try to make things happen, but Hyundai's bureaucracy makes the government look good.
    I did write to the CEO just to put my comments on the record their. The call center can give you his name and address.
    Good luck and get it fixed.
  • emily9emily9 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Azera Limited purchased new in Sept 2006 which I love. However I have now had 2 experiences of uncontrolled acceleration, the first in January 2008 and the second two days ago. Both occured in driveways at very low speed prior to stopping. Very scary but I managed to hit the brake and stop. No damage the first time but I did have some minor damage this last time which, of course, could have been much worse. Today at my dealer they could not duplicate the event (no surprise as I've had 2 events over several months time driving every day). They could find no problems with my vehicle. They also checked with Hyundai national and were told there had been never any other reports of this happening. I know I didn't report the first event as I really didn't know what happened and also because the car seemed fine after that, so I just figured it was a fluke event that would never happened again.
  • oskidunker1oskidunker1 Member Posts: 213
    In January while pulling into my Driveway at my Truckee Condo. Low speed almost ready to stop.Has not happened again. I wonder if you are in cold climate?
    Hello: Do you have the Limited model with adjustable brake and gas pedals. I own a 07 and have not encountered this problem but have read somewhere else in the messages that one owner had his floormat slide under the brake pedal. Regarding the rapid acceleration nothing here about that.
    I just dealt with a dealership in Penticton BC and they are first class. Good luck with resolving your problem. :)
  • daveltddaveltd Member Posts: 13
    Did you say Penticton!!!!. Well I live in Penticton. What do you drive? My wife has a 2008 Santa Fe Ltd. & I drive a 2008 Azera Ltd.

Maybe we can meet some where here in town?

Dave
    hello Dave: We live in Kelowna and purchased our Azera and Santa Fe in the US last October and have not encountered any problems except for the stress crack in the windshield of the Azera. Jo_Anne, the Service Manager is absolutely a great person to deal with. We could not get any satisfaction with the local dealer in Kelowna as there comment was we do not service US cars. I wonder what would happen in a case where a person was visiting Kelowna and had a problem with their Hyundai product and were told no service. I bet Hyundai Motor Corporation would love to hear about this.
    Anyhow on the positive we are more than pleased with the service with the dealership in Penticton and had a great day with lunch at the Hooded Merganzer.
    I would only hope the Hyundai dealerships take a stand against the inflated pricing that they are paying as it is not fair for them to try and compete against the great US buying power and pricing.
    Have a good evening. Maybe next time we head to Penticton we could email you.
  • daveltddaveltd Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I am pleased with the whole Penticton operation of the dealership. Maybe we can hook-up under the freind portion of this site. Will see if it works to-morrows. Also our RV dealership is not far from the hyundai dealership in Penticton so easy to find if you are down here again.

Dave :)
  • emily9emily9 Member Posts: 2
    I am in a cold climate but my car was not cold when this happened. Both times I'd been driving and the second time was this week with milder temps anyway. What you describe, low speed ready to stop, is the same. As I stated my 2 events were months apart. Have you reported this to your dealer?
    Have not reported it but will if it happens again. My wife claims that i put the car in neutral as I approached the driveway and thats why the engine raced.As I remember it I did this to stop the car but I can't be sure.
  • helohelo Member Posts: 4
    2007 Unlimited. I've had this problem three times . Once backing up when engine was cold. Second time, engine was cold, moving forward at low speed and the most recent, yesterday, car warmed up and moving forward at low speed. I have to turn the engine off to get the car stopped. The dealer has checked for error codes, but nothing seems abnormal and as you might expect, I can't duplicate the problem. If anyone has found and fixed this problem, please let us know.
    I bought a 2007 Azera Limited with Ultimate Package at the end of Nov 2007 (new).Love the car, btw!

This weekend I was sitting in the passenger seat while the wifey was driving. I noticed that there was a crack on the dashboard. As you can see in the attached picture, this is not a crack in the random fashion. It seems to be a straight line & curves at the end.It seems to be along the passenger side air bag door.

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com

I searched to see if the any other Azzy owners has had this issue. On another Azera forum, I saw that there were 2-3 other Azera owners who have the same issue. Also, it appears that this cracking dash has been more in Sonatas. The Azzy owners with the cracked dash got their dash replaced.

A trip to the dealer is in works tomorrow for my Azzy! Will let all you guys know how it turns out. In the meanwhile, has anyone else had this issue?">
  • silverazerasilverazera Member Posts: 17
    My admin assistant had the exact same problem on her '06 Sonota, almost looks like the same crack. Hyundai dealership replaced it in one day- no problem.
  • scullyncscullync Member Posts: 2
    O7 limited- silver/grey

After 10 years with my BMW 740 I was looking for something that I would feel comfortable in (6' 5") and my daughter would approve (four door and better gas milage). I pulled up the edmunds list of top rated cars and started testing Cad,Lincoln, Mit, Nissons and the like. I did have a note on this car that it was given decent marks by Edmunds and JD powers. It was the last car I tested and its in my driveway now, unbelieveable- a hyundai that I never saw any advertising on). It has 22K miles on it and still under warantee (5 yrs 60K for second owner).

Keep in mind I was BMW 740 owner (8 cyl). the Azera has more road noise, the suspension is soft at low speeds and the powerplant (w/22k) is a little noisy at idle (need valve clearance checked as per manual). The interior is unitarian but functional, some of the materials seem low budget, but the instument lighting is good and the car is easy to clean. The acelator pedal is a bit too far to the right for me but thats typical for asian cars.

After driving it for over 500 miles this my opinion- love the reg gas, better then average gas milage, the steering wheel controls and the seats are actually comfortable. THe infinity 6 disc stereo does a good job and the MP-3 is a bonus (copied my mp-3 files to a cd). XM is a nice touch too. I like the exterior design (just enough difference for peope ask what is it) so all good for the money and the warantee. Paid $8 for a dealer supplied oil filter and o ring/washer. Rear sunshade is nice but Im worried that it's going to wear out when it folds every time I back out of the driveway.

But what I really like is after driving it like a hybrid with my 10 yr "green" daughter in back. is that as soon as she's out of the car- is 3.8l powerplant. Good shift points and plenty of low end torque. It handles 85 mph well and there's very little torque steer on the front wheels when whipping her around a turn. The seletronic (?) shifter is addictive and I'm trying to stop using it..

It's not a sports car or a luxury sedan or a 4 banger gas saver- but a little of each.I like what hyundai is trying to do with this platform and hope they continue working in this direction.

Thanks all for this forum and I look forward to being a contibutor in the future

Scullync
    Greensboro NC
    Congrats on getting a great car. I am stil impressed with mine and all the bells and whistles that even $50,000 luxo models don't have. I particularly like that I can turn off the rear window shade if I want, so only use it in summer when car is going to be in sun a lot.
    BTW, just kidding, but is the interior Unitarian or utilitarian? Maybe a little of both. Personally I like the interior more than any other car I looked at, understated elegance, even if plastic, well done, simple instruments and controls, etc. :)
  • scullyncscullync Member Posts: 2
    Quite right, utlitarian-it's a quaker thing.

I'm interested to see the level of support from dealer, I'm not sure if they understand what they have here. I was surprised by the $8 oil filter and kit- I wouldn't hazard a guess what a OEM filter is at BMW. But I can say that the car did well up to Pilot mountain and the vineyards and handled the drive to the parkway like a champ. the next challange will be the OBX

I haven't seen one azera on the road yet, usually when you buy a new car you suddenly see a million of them. Maybe we should start a carolina azera club-with two members-lol

not to get off topic-but what is the history on this engine? is in other models?

chris
  • dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    "what is the history on this engine? is in other models"?

I believe the 3.8 made its debut in the '06 Azera. It is now available in the Veracruz and the 2 sister Kia vehicles. An "improved" 3.8 will be in the USA base RWD Genesis.
    I have received excellent and reasonable service from Upstate Hyundai of Anderson SC in the 13 months that I have had the car.
    I have noticed several Azeras in the Greenville SC, Hendersonville, Asheville area.
    Personally, I like having a car that is not like all the others on the road. There are way too many Lexus' out there for some reason - and most look like a Camry.
    Hope Hyundai keeps the Azera and fixes the suspension.
    If you haven't tried it, to Azera site on Hyundai-Forums.com
    I have long suspected there is a problem with this. Had the switch replaced a few months ago. seemed to b better. Yesterday it was 100 degrees out side. I got in my car , which had been in my garage all night, drove 10 miles and started experiencing bad heat in my back so I had to lift my back off the seat and direct the ac vents towards the seat. Took the car to the delaer and had him dissconnect the switch. So far, all ok. I haven't really decided if the leather seat jsu gets hot or I had been experiencing an intermittant problem. For sure, I don't need a heated seat this summer so I will deal with it more in November.

Haven't heard of anyone else with this problem.Dealer did say Azera seats tend to be a little hotter than other maked due to lack of ventilation in the seat. Any comments?
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    Regarding the seat-heat switch coming on by itself, I had that happen twice before I realized (my personal experience) that, as I went to hit the "mute" switch on the power connector of my Whistler radar detector with its "smart cord" plugged into the ciggie lighter socket, I was juuust brushing the seat-heat rotary switch and turning it on... :blush:
  • alchemyiamalchemyiam Member Posts: 1
    I live in Arizona - bought my Azera in 2006. Had a 2" split in the dash last year (2007) at about 13k miles. Dealer in Scottsdale (Macdowell road) was very good and replaced the dash with no questions. We did have some rattles after that and had to take it back to have the screws tightened up - turns out they hadn't re-installed them all correctly.

Noticed this morning that the a crack has appeared in the new dash in exactly the same place. approx an inch long on the dash towards the passenger side... ~26k miles Sept 2008.

Looks I will have to return to the dealer again.

I hope this doesn't turn into an annual occurrence.....

I park the car outside, but use a shade.

I have 2 Nissan Altimas ~ 8 years old - both dashes are in perfect shape with no cracks or blemishes. so it can be done
    I have a 2007 Azera & even I had my dash replaced about 2 months ago. I am surprised that Hyundai doesn't seem to have their process rectified. A number of other owners have had their dash replaced & yours is one of the few who have had a second brush with this.

I hope this doesn't become a annual ritual. If it happens again to my car, I'm Lemon Lawing it!
  • windycity7windycity7 Member Posts: 24
    anyone know why Hyundai won't sell rubber floor mats in the USA for the Azera? I had to call a dealer in Canada to get OEM black rubber floor mats shipped to me in the US. They fit perfectly as all others I found were too narrow to fit the wide front and back sections. They were $98 Canadian but I had to pay $40 for S&H.
    The guy in Canada said maybe Hyundai doesn't think it snows in the US?! They have them for the Veracruz which is based on the Azera platform.
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    Should have gone to WeatherTech....Super products!!!! Custom fitted for any car vehicle.
  • budhbudh Member Posts: 109
    Is this dash cracking problem limited to 2007 Azeras and older? Or are there 2008 (and potential 2009 models) with similar issues?

Bud H
    I haven't heard any issues with 08 or 09 models having the cracked dash. But then again, they haven't been out in the market for that long (08s & 09s have been out only few months).

I sure hope Hyundai has rectified any issues with their manufacturing. I looked at the receipt when my dash was replaced & boy was I glad that Hyundai was paying for it!

But of the 40-50k Azeras sold since it's introduction, the number of cracekd dash have been minuscule. I think it might just be a bad run & not a common occurrence.
  • akinakin Member Posts: 24
    Hey Windycity, can you post the details of the dealer you got the OEM all-weather mats? I want to also purchase them.

Thanks,
    Hi: Has anyone had to have the timing chain tensioner replaced in their Azera yet? We have only 7000 Miles on ours and it rattles like a diesel when starting after a few hours.
    We spoke with the dealership and they said they had replaced the Sonata timing chain tensioner but were not aware of the trouble in the Azera models.
    Also the dash has started to crack on the passenger side at the airbag area.
  • 101649101649 Member Posts: 192
    Get your mats from Weather Tech..
    very good products
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    There was a recall on early Azeras for a cam tensioner problem, something about a ratchet mechanism that held the tensioner in position when the car was shut off. A TSB was involved - if your Azera only has 7K miles, though, I assume it's a later version. Your dealerership must not have sold any '06 Azeras if they never heard of it.
    My Azera does some rattling for a couple miles on cold starts ( more noticeable now that winter is here ) and I'm assuming that it's piston slap. I say that because the sound is the same as my 2001 Tahoe made under the same conditions. That car had buyers up in arms for supposed reduced resale value due to piston slap. I never got the Tahoe fixed, it was a very minor inconvenience which did not affect reliability or longevity of the engine. So I'm not very concerned about my Azera.
    I do take it easy for the first few miles after a cold start, though - something which I do with any car, whether it has piston slap or not...Richard
  • psu3psu3 Member Posts: 15
    Hi all,

Shortly after purchasing the car I got the OEM rubber floormats (set of four) for $38.

They match the carpet mats perfectly. Clear rubber allows the carpet color to show. Nubbed backing prevents them from moving. They now are around $45. Not sure how these prices compare to others. Here's the site.

http://www.car-truck-accessories.com/

psu
  • jeff072jeff072 Member Posts: 5
    I have an 06 Azera and we are having the exact same problem you are describing in reference to the headlights flickering. Of course the dealer says since they don't flicker when they drive the car they can't fix the problem. Can you please tell me if you have gotten yours fixed and if so what was the problem. Thanks.
    Has anyone had a problem with Azera headlights flickering especially when just starting off and slowing to a stop? It is driving us nuts and of course the dealer says they can't get the lights to flicker when they drive the car so they can't fix it. I have found a few references to the problem on line but no answers on how to fix it. No other lights on the car flicker it seems to be limited to just the headlights.
  • newguy6newguy6 Member Posts: 34
    I too have had this problem and still do. The headlights dim down when the RPM's reach 1000. Have no idea why but have learned to live with it.
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    :)

There is no need to have to "live with it!"

Go to your dealer. There is a TSB covering the problem.
    Make 'em find the TSB and fix the problem. ;)

:D
    Jeff072...I did have this problem and it only happened when I would be coming to a stop, it never happened at speed or while accelerating. Recently, I changed my OEM battery and since then...I haven't had the problem. You may want to inquire about a TSB concerning the headlight dimming issue as I know a few folks have posted about it and it was an issue with the grounding of their electrical system. You may want to go with the new battery anyway as I've been hearing a lot of folks talking about issues with the OEM battery anyway. Like I said earlier, ever since changing mine...the dimming issue has gone away. Well...except for when I play my stereo too loudly, then the headlights dim with the bass. :blush:

Good luck and let me know if any of this has proven helpful for you.

Mike
  • newguy6newguy6 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the info, I'll have them check into it at my next service. I'll post the results.
    I will be taking it in to the dealer soon and I will let you know what happens. I am going to tell them to keep it until they fix the problem. Thanks again.
  • donna388donna388 Member Posts: 69
    :)

"TSB 08-BE-004, 6/17/2008 all Body Electrical System 08-BE-004 DIAGNOSIS
    VOLTAGE DROP
    "

Inform your service writer that you want TSB 08-BE-004 performed on your
    Azera and demand that all procedures therein be done, bar none.
    When and if the service department properly follows these Hyundai TSB
    instructions to the letter, your problems will then be a thing of the past. :surprise:

I know that a bad battery cannot be the cause of any of your problems.
    Either the battery is good or it is not! :surprise:
    If the battery were not good to begin with, it would not start your vehicle now would it? :confuse:

Do a Google. Type in TSB 08-BE-004 and read all the posts under the second find.

Try this:http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=8472 ,
    and if it comes through, you've got the TSB to read for yourself!
    Print it out and hand it to your service writer.
    He has probably never seen it before don't you know? :surprise:
    Good luck!

:D