Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Service

Comments

• floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    The tilt in reverse feature is NOT on any 2006 Azera.
    It was eliminated by the manufacturer without them advising dealers of the change.
    This feature was included on the 350 Series.
    The 2004 2004 model even had 2 different remotes which could be set for 2 drivers whch would allow the doors to be unlocked and all memory seat and mirror functions prior to entering car.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    Finally I got my car back today and the brakes work fine. The problem was that Audio Express, a chain of stores that installs car alarms and audio equipment installed the module zip tied to the brake pedal. When I panic stopped to avoid hitting the boy who ran out in front of me the zip tie broke and the module feel down blocking the brake pedal from it's normal return. It's nice to know Hyundai was not at fault and my servicing dealer, Suntrup Hyundsi, went the extra mile for me and even let their techs relocate the module in their service bay and did not charge me for the loaner car or the service visit.
    I would avoid Audio Express and Viper Alarms. Viper Alarms are made and sold by Directed Electronics who also make numerous other alarms including Clifford requires that Viper alarms be installed by an "authorized dealer". Audio Express is an authorized dealer. Apparently Directed Electronics does not monitor their "authorized dealers". I plan to pursue some sort of monetary recourse with Audio Express and Directed Electronics for putting me at risk by compromising my brakes and potential long time damamge to my pads or rotors.
    DO NOT SUBJECT YOURSELF TO A DIRECTED ELECTRONICS ALARM AND/OR ANY PRODUCT INSTALLED BY AUDIO EXPRESS.
    I'm just glad my car is back and the problem was not with Hyundai and the brakes work.
    They say you get what you pay for but that did not happen with Directed Electronics and Audio Express.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It certainly does sound like your dealership is to be commended - they took care of a problem that wasn't theirs to handle, did not charge you and the back and forth finger-pointing that could have happened did not.

They sound like keepers to me. :)
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    Glad to hear the "brake" problem's been sorted out by a conscientous Hyundai dealership. Unless your car starts shimmying when the brakes are applied, you're probably good with the original rotors and pads. Don't be surprised if the typical 30,000 mile pad life is reduced, though. Just seat-of-the-pants Kentucky windage on my part, but when it's eventually time for pad replacement, I'd probably pop for new rotors, too.

(One thing's for certain, Phil - if there was ever any rust on the swept area of those front rotors, it ain't there no mo'! ;))
    A big Amen to that Pat. Suntrup Hyundai in St. Louis, Missouri. If you live anywhere near the area it's worth the drive to the Suntrup Hyundai Store. They are the top Hyundai selling dealer in the region and I know why. :)
    Hi Ray. I always appreciate your Kentucky wisdow. Looking back now I think the course of events may have been as follows; The Audio Express Viper Alarm dealer improperly installed the alarm with a module zip tied to the brake pedal. No problem there other than the brakes not feeling right and an improper installation. When I had to panic stop to miss the boy who ran out in front of me I broke the zip tie that should not have been there. I took the car home and only drove it to the dealer and back twice plus a few more miles, no more than 30 or 40. On the second trip to the dealer they found the problem. No vibration from the rotors but they are nice and shiny now. Probably some loss on the pads although the dealer did say there was still a whole lot of pad left. Obviously for a dealer this good I will follow their advice on new rotors.
    As for Audio Express and Directed Electronics I'm not done with them yet. This reckless disregard for a safety issue will not pass away in the night now that my car is fixed. They will be hearing from me, a lot. Lesson learned here was never let anyone touch your Hyundai unless it's someone you are confident in their knowledge and service. Audio Express and Directed Electronics will pay up one way or the other, if you know what I mean. They may wind up with my name on a bronze plaque on their list of their most hated customers which is an honor I will proudly live with.
    Obviously Ray, I appreciate your Kentucky wisdom. I don't even know what wisdow is other than a deterioration in my typing skills brought on by Audio Express stress.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    LOL!!
    Yeah - I got a keebord thet duzn't spell gud eethur...
  • ranger2001xltranger2001xlt Member Posts: 85
    Let Auto Express know that when brake rotors get overheated invisible heat spots can develop in the metal of the rotor. There may not be any obvious deformity until the pads wear the rotor down a bit and the friction is applied against the hard part of the heat spot. At that point they will warp.

Rotors with heat spots rarely can be turned because the lathe bit 'chatters' aross the heat spot.

You deserve new rotors or a prorated rotor replacement.
    If they give you a hard time ask them to do a metallurgical analysis on both your rotors to prove they are not damaged. It would be cheaper for them to be replaced.
  • obobobob Member Posts: 11
    Went back to selling dealer to address the issues of "rough idle" and tire noise/vibration.

Without even looking at the car I was told that the rough idle was probably "normal" which merely confirms my feeling that it is a "common" complaint. Was told I needed to make an appointment - earliest appointment was 10 days out.

Regarding tire issues I was informed that Michelin would not honor a replacement request without the results of a
    "Road Forced/Match Ballanced" test. My local Michelin dealer does not have the $20,000. machine required to perform this test.

At a cost of $130.96 the local Goodyear dealer performed the test. The Goodyear dealer claims that on new tires he replaces any tire which exceeds 25LB on this test. My readings were 12LB, 29LB, 34LB, 35LB.

So, it seems that 3 of 4 tires need to be replaced. First response from Michelin was to have the test repeated at a "Michelin Dealer". Nearest Michelin dealer with proper equipment to perform the test is 38 miles away. The Tire Saga Begins
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    obob, please keep us posted on the steps and results of your efforts. I once purchased a german car with Pirelli P6 tires on that could never seem to be balanced. Took it to the dealer, then a chain tire shop and paid for balancing. Finally went to a local tire shop that balanced wheels/tires on the vehicle. They deteremined that two tires were out of round and one had the tread applied off kilter. They were a Pirelli dealer and handled replacement and the car ran smooth. Kudos to the manufacturer for standing behind their product.
  • obobobob Member Posts: 11
    I called Michelin again today and told them that I refused to travel 38 miles to have the "road forced/matched balance" test repeated after having it done at my expense at an independent dealer.

I told them that I would bring my car to the nearest authorized Michelin dealer listed on their website and allow them to perform any test they cared to.

When I arrived at the Michelin dealer he called Michelin and explained to them that I had given him the printed results of the "road forced/matched balanced" test.

This test is performed when wheels will not come into balance on a traditional spin ballancing machine. Apparently a special machine is used that measures the heaviest point on the wheel & tire then the tire is rotated on the wheel to a point where the heavy spots are 180 degrees apart. Then the tires/wheels are spin ballanced.

The tire dealer told Michelin that anything he could do by either re-ballancing or rotating would likly make the degree of vibration worse.

So, Michelin has authorized replacement of 3 tires. The tire dealer told me it would take 7-10 days to get the tires as they were not available from the area distributor.

Hopefully the new tires will solve the vibration issue.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    obob, thanks for the update, and I hope the replacement will solve your balancing problems.

I just went through this with a Honda, one of my wheels got bent (how...who knows, but my teenaged son drives my car some times??) and the tire dealer couldn't balance the tire/wheel. Got a new (used) wheel and problem was solved.

Good luck with your Azera, we really like ours.
    Thanks for the idea of requesting them to prove they did no damage by performing a metallurgical analysis of the rotors. I think you're right, it would be far cheaper for them to pay for rotor replacement. I also plan to report the the the NHTSA for their reckless disregard for safety. I'll include all of these suggestions in my letter to Audio Express and to Directed Electronics, the manufacturer of many of the major auto alarm names. I doubt that they want this kind of publicity.
    To everyone else, keep your car away from any Audio Express store, they also do lots of car audio installs, and keep away from any product manufactured by Directed Electronics who obviously does not monitor their "authorized dealers" and instead let companies that are reckless with regards to safety be the "authorized" installers of their products.
    )) "Thanks for the idea of requesting them to prove they did no damage by performing a metallurgical analysis of the rotors. ... I also plan to report the the the NHTSA for their reckless disregard for safety." ((

Unfortunately, Phil, it's a long established tradition under tort law that proof must come from the accuser, not the defendant - some inconvenient gotcha about a presumption of innocence until proved otherwise or some such... That's true in both civil and criminal litigation. In theory, Audio Express and/or Directed Electronics wouldn't even have to take the stand in their own defense. I doubt they'd even bother responding to a letter demanding proof that their product/installation wasn't faulty. On the other hand, if you could get either or both companies to sue you for defamation, you'd have it/them right where you want either or both. ;) Sending off a letter to the NHTSA to have on file is a start, but the agency's website states upfront that it won't get involved in individual consumer complaints. Only when it's satisfied that there's a general fault in a product will it consider a recall action. There's no doubt ya' got wronged, Bud, but your options for resolution and material restitution are limited. Too bad what that smarmy kid pulled took five years off your life. I hope the little moron learned something...
  • lazydaylazyday Member Posts: 4
    My car makes something like "click" sound under the gas pedal one time when my car reaches at the first 20 mph.
    After that it is fine.
    I can feel a little vibration that time.
    I went to dealer, but they did not find any problem.
    Does anyone have this problem?
    Or have solution?
    I believe your "problem"'s been discussed previously and is nothing more than the normal start-up self test of the ABS system to assure its proper operation.
    Thanks.
    I found the discussion at the sonata 2006+ forum.
    This forum is better than technicians at my Hyundai dealer. :)
  • smaturasmatura Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I have the Azera Limited without the ultimate package. I have about 4k miles right now. About 3 months ago I started having problem where engine would turn over for a long period of time before ignition, or sometimes it would start immediately, hesitate, and then stall. I took it to the dealer 3 weeks after I bought the car for inspection. 4 days later they said they couldn't find anything. They told me it was possibly the new fuel mixes with 10% ethanol, but I don't think so. I have noticed the last two days that when I first start the car it idles pretty high for about a second then goes to a more normal idle.
    Has anyone heard of this? I have been pretty happy with the Azera so far, with the exception of this problem.
    I have had my Azera for 10 months with 12000 miles. It starts immediately each time.
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    The new gas with the 10% ethanol isn't the greatest joy out there, but I haven't noticed any problems with starting on my Azera. I bought mine back in March 06 and currently have just over 18,000 miles on it. Only problem I'm experiencing at this point is my headlights dim and brighten while I'm driving. When the car is at idle or in park...the lights stay constant, but as soon as the car is in motion either accelerating, at speed or coming to a stop...they'll continuously dim and brighten. I brought the issue to my local service dept. I'm waiting to hear what they have to say about it.
    )) "Only problem I'm experiencing at this point is my headlights dim and brighten while I'm driving. When the car is at idle or in park...the lights stay constant, but as soon as the car is in motion ... they'll continuously dim and brighten." ((

Accord owners are reporting the same thing - appears to be an intentional electrical design consideration to unload the alternator from the system when unneeded using what Honda terms an "ELD" (electrical load device) to maximize fuel economy. (I experienced the same phenomenon with my '96 Accord.) Check out post 1656 for more on this.
    Thanks Ray, I'll check it out...hopefully I'll hear something back from the service dept. about this as well.
    When I just tested my link, it went to the wrong post. I've edited it, so if you got lost, try it again, now.

(Yeah, I know - other than being severely dyslexic, I have great reading comprehension skills... ;))
    When I drive my azera with cruise on,
    the speedometer needle is moving back-and-forth constantly.
    Not very much but a little bit (about 2 mph length).
    I have not seen a car doing like this.
    So I went to service center, they exchanged the cluster.
    But it still does.
    They said all azeras do like this.
    Is it true?
    Does anyone have this problem?

And the trip mileage on trip computer reset to 0 sometimes.

My azera has so many problems. :mad:
    Lazyday, I hate to say this, but that service tech told you a story. I've been on the highway for extended trips and used the cruise control without experiencing that problem. Only time the needle moves is if the car hits an incline or a decline, but it doesn't move back and forth.

Does it only happen with the cruise function on?
    Yes, it happens with cruise on.
    Thanks.
    If you don't get any results from the service dept. you go to initially, don't be afraid to take to another one. Yeah, it can be an inconvenience, but sometimes getting better service is worth going out of your way.
  • azeradaveazeradave Member Posts: 42
    Hey Lazy

I too have experienced the trip o meter being reset to zero sometimes. It occurs after I shut the car off, and check it the next day! I have never seen it reset during the same driving session.
    The only thing my driving computer does is it'll change functions upon starting the car. Usually, I have it set on 'Trip', but when I cut the car off and then back on...it'll be on 'Miles To Empty'. This doesn't happen all the time, just here and there.

Azeradave, your situation sounds like a glitch that would call for that unit to be replaced. Could be a short in the button causing it to reset. While it may not hinder the safety or driveablity of your Azera, it can be aggrevating like a gnat in your ear at a cookout.
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    Keep us posted on the trip 0 meter thing. Mine reverts to trip when I have it on miles to empty and leave it overnight....sometimes. Sounds like something the dealer could really jack you around on. Let us know if you have any problem with the service dept on this. Also if parts have to be ordered. It's no big thing, but still annoying. The whole thing looks a little tacked on to begin with.
  • grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    Has anyone been able to buy an Azera Factory Shop Manual? If so, where and how much?
    There are 3 shop manuals needed for Azera.
    Regular manual comes in volume 1 and 2 $75.00 each
    There is a seperate transmission manual $30.00
    They can be ordered from any Hyundai dealer
  • carmaven75carmaven75 Member Posts: 4
    I canot set my clock. I tried to follow the manuel,but no luck.Can someone help me.Thanks.CARMAVEN 75.
  • cdmuilecdmuile Member Posts: 152
    You have to really depress the buttons....like with a toothpick or ballpoint. REALLY DEPRESS!
  • grayfoxgrayfox Member Posts: 166
    I used a ballpoint pen to set the clock but I didnt have to press THAT hard.
    Yeah...I was able to set mine without much effort either.
  • carmaven75carmaven75 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your help. I just set my clock with a ball point
    pen, and it worked out just swell. Thanks again.carmaven 75
  • roadkingtc88roadkingtc88 Member Posts: 21
    When i first got my Azera (Ultimate), it would "chirp" when you pressed the lock button. After I had Service set the autolock feature to automatically lock at 13 m.p.h. the "chirp" disappeared. It still locks, just no audible confirmation.

Anybody have the autolock enabled & still get a chirp ?
  • plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    My autolock is enabled and I still get the "chirp".
    My auto lock is enabled and I still get chirp confirmation upon locking/unlocking of the doors using my key fob.

Are you expecting to hear the chirp when the doors lock while you're in motion??? That doesn't happen.

I do know that you will not get the chirp confirmation if you lock the car with the key fob and a door isn't closed all the way or if the trunk is open as well.
    If you unlock your car using remote and do not physically open a door, the car will re-lock itself after about one minute. This is an intended safety feature in the the event that you did not intend to unlock car.
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    I took my Azera in for service this morning and did not have time to wait for it so I left it. My partner went to pick it up this evening. When I got home I noticed the car looked clean so I asked if he had gotten it washed and he said the dealer had. To my utter dismay they scratched the car from one end to the other, swirl marks all over. My car is black and I never hand wash it. I use a high pressure laser wash place and then wipe it down with Eagle One Wet Wipe & Shine and very clean microfiber towels. I am going to call them first thing in the morning. I am so upset. Almost one year of ownership and I had managed to avoid swirls. Just goes to show you so may dealer service depatments take no pride in anything they do anymore.
    The good news is that Maguires cleaner and swirl remover does a great job. Try it!
    I would definitely take the issue to the service manager and have them either buff the entire car to remove the swirls and scratches or reimburse you to take to a paint & body shop or a very good auto detailer to have it done.

Good luck!
  • jnd17jnd17 Member Posts: 62
    Hi tinydog1, I really feel your Pain. I would never have anyone wash my car other than my self or a Professional Detailer. All is not lost. What you have are swirl and marring from using the wrong products on your car. Especially the cloths used to wash and dry. I would suggest you purchase a Good Swirl and Marring remover from a Professional Site such as Autogeek.com. I am not soliciting for them it is just a Great Site to purchase Professional Cleaning needs for cars. They also have a wonderful Forum on detailing cars. Great people and advise. Check them out. I have a Black Azera also and swirls and marring show up on it More than any other color. If you are going to have the dealership detail your car Make Sure That they know what they are doing and ask question as to what product they use. If they are not using Micro Fiber Towels then stay away. Here is a photo of my Black Azeri after my detailing. Since this photo I have purchase some Great Chrome Wheels which are the same as the originals just Chromed. Good Luck and even though you feel very upset remember Not All Is Lost. The paint can be brought back to a Flawless Shine if done properly. Take care. JoeD

• chilliwackchilliwack Member Posts: 189
    Very nice. I too have a black Ultimate and I won't let the clowns at any dealership, detail department or not touch my car. When I bought it, I had the wind deflector removed and I noticed scratches where it contacted the roof of the car. "Oh, I will have it buffed out for you". Right. It was worse after they had finished. Find a good detail shop and have them take care of it, or DIY. Black is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] but looks sweet IMHO.
  • theblackholetheblackhole Member Posts: 62
    tinydog1 -

Joe D also brought autogeek.com to my attention, and I'm very glad he did. The have some wonderful products that you won't find at the local auto parts store. Many of them will take care of the swirls and marring, as well as out shine many of the more common products.
    That said - I feel your pain, and hope your baby looks better real soon.
    Best of Luck,
    Warren
    JND17...did you get your windows tinted? Looks like they are. I'm planning on painting the B-pillars with a glossy black paint so it flows with the rest of the car better. I'll get a better shot outside so you can see how that Meguiars NXT wax makes the paint look like you can dip your finger into it!!! :shades:

This discussion has been closed.