Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Forenza Troubles

Comments

• shareee28shareee28 Member Posts: 2
    OMG all that is happening to me right now. My 2007 Forenza.
    Drivers inside door handle snapped right off one day. Thankfully still under warranty at that time.

Now transmission slipping. Hoping it just needs flushed. Whatever happened with yours?
  • jules811jules811 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Suzuki Forenza (48k miles) which has had most of the problems listed (i.e struts, check engine light nightmare, gas, tires, etc).

My most recent nightmare happened just a little bit ago when I was driving home and the car DIED while turning the corner. The lights on the dash remained on, but the steering and gas did not work. I was able to pull over and put in park. I let it sit for a couple minutes and re-started it just fine. Has this happened to anyone? Any idea what happened? I'm a bit freaked out to drive it now.
  • azsuzazsuz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Forenza, it has been a gem until it hit 60k, I had the steering light explanation mark issue for two years, took it to CarX in Illinois and also Midas in AZ. No one could figure out the problem. I take my car in every three months for an oil change and am a little fanatical about my cars (and I am female!) At 60k, had a hard time turning the steering wheel, was told I had a leak in the steering wheel column, and this had to be replaced ($800.00). My 76 year old father says he never heard of such a thing and insists I got ripped off. I also had the check engine light issue before with the gas cap seal when the car was new. This was resolved. Now I have the check engine light issue again. Brought the car to Midas in AZ (as there are only 3 Suzuki dealers now in all of AZ-I just moved to Phoenix, AZ last year). I just had a battery replaced (after 6.5 years, 1st time-pretty good for AZ!), and my CEL light came on after this. Midas ran the codes and told me I needed to replace the spark plugs and wiring (std 60k maint) to the tune of $250.00, after doing this, the CEL came on a week later and then went off after 2 days. The CEL light is now back on again and has been on for 5 days. I am taking to Autozone to have them read the codes to me and then I will figure out what I have to do. I also had the timing belt replaced and the water pump (std 60k) and with the battery replacement, have alread spent $2200.00 on this car in August. The engine also revs up when just sitting, it is kind of jumpy when sitting at a stop light on some days,but not others! Does anyone know what this new problem might be? I asked Midas about it, and they have just ignored me. I also asked them to unplug the battery and replug it, as I have heard the CEL can come on once you have the battery replaced. I am a little freaked out at this point, as I can't afford any more repairs in September! . Does anyone have any similiar stories to share, or advice? I will let you know what Autozone tells me about the CEL code. Thanks!
  • kellij2kellij2 Member Posts: 7
    K just got this car october of 09 used and need a power steering pump and my freaking engine light came on and flashed on and off for a few seconds going in bewtween lancaster and columbus last night. It now does not flash but goes on and off and told the code it pulled up has to do with compression. Any ideas? I am a single mom of a five year old, the pump alone is costing me 130$ I can't afford this crap...help please
  • joegallantjoegallant Member Posts: 1
    Hi Kelly,

I had a 06 forenza standard. The power steering light always came on no matter what. Just make sure that you have power steering fluid in the reservoir and you will be fine. The check engine light will always come on. I know have a 05 automatic LX forenza. and my light always comes on. The code tells me I need a new Catalytic converter. I'm not doing that. Somewhere there is a short, a wire that is exposed under your hood. If you can find it tape it up and the light should stop. Let me know how it works out.

Joe
  • suzzie033suzzie033 Member Posts: 5
    My door handles also broke, I was informed my car is also out of warrenty, so they wont fix them. I have had multiable problems with this car. I have contacted Suzuki, but was told there is nothing they can do, magin that. I have also we all get together and make some calls but was told "you cant suggest a class action lawsuit on this site" so I guess there is nothing we can do, but drive it and pay lots of money or invest in another car. I drive a 2006 Forenza also.
    thanks but its my engine light on. Now i have clear liquid right under the middle of my car. assuming water pump what do you think?
  • marissa4marissa4 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 Forenza bought it brand new.. The door handles were part of a recall that i only found out about because i went to the dealership to get a gasket replaced because it was leaking oil from the top. in the 6 years I have had this car i have had to replace both front window motors the O2 sensor the transmission (now broken yet again) and the whole motor because the head gasket blew out on it and the Catalytic converter (there r 2 of them in this vehicle) so in my opinion the car is junk and should be recalled completely and give us all a refund
  • krismalcolmkrismalcolm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 suzuki forenza and i am trying to hook the heat back up in my car. but i cant find the wire in the dash to hook it back up.... help me....
  • trina3trina3 Member Posts: 1
    own a 2005 suzuki forenza it only has 55000 miles had to have wires repair for headlights had the struts replaced at 18000 miles now they say they need it again my sister owned a 2008 she was having so many problems with hers she bought hers new so she filed lemon law on them and got her money back for what she paid on it she had the transmission in reverse by it self she had a lot of engine problems my husband had to call corporate office to get the lights fixed they would go out and would not work he gonna call the corporate office again about the struts they have went they are suppose to life time warrenty on them also there was a recall on them so if your headlights go out and dont come on have them check the wiring harness behind the speedometer
  • edioedio Member Posts: 1
    Hey man!! My doors handle in the back also broke. Where did yours broke? Because I dont know how to fix either.
    I had to fix the rear brakes as well last week.
    Are you satisfied with that car?
    my drivers door handle broke but depending on the year some of the door handles were on recall just call the dealership. If i remember correctly the new handle only cost me $20 including them installing it. I say only $20 because I have spent about what I paid for this car just to fix all the problems which completely sucks I will NEVER EVER IN MY WHOLE LIFE (I still have alot of life left I am only 33) EVEN IF IT WAS THE LAST CAR COMPANY IN THE WORLD own another Suzuki I would rather walk all the way around the world than to buy another Suzuki
    by the way I just noticed your post and I had that problem. Hubby tried to install a new radio. Unless u have one of those mini cameras that they use for surgery there is no way that u would be able to reconnect it u have about 3 CM of play room in there we spent about 5 hours trying to fix it. we took it to the shop they had it reconnected in about 5 minutes didn't stop them from charging us 30 minutes of work time. If the clip on the back of the knob broke well then that will cost u $100 for a used center console since the knobs don't come off. I found that out because some one tried to pop mine open and broke the know where the cable attaches so if mine were running I can't switch where the air comes out of unless I replace it. (transmission out for 2nd time not fixing this time)
  • The Forenza is actually a Daewoo Nubira (which in its previous generation was actually sold here as the Nubira). Daewoos were never known for their reliability, and they were at best one of the also-rans among Korean manufacturers.

GM at the time owned interests in both Suzuki and Daewoo, and rather than let Suzuki sell its own good products here, made some sub-par Daewoos, poof-tada, into Suzukis by tacking a Suzuki label on them. Anyway, GM still has a relationship with Daewoo, but not any longer with Suzuki. Volkswagen has a small (20%?) interest in Suzuki these days.

Suzuki makes some excellent cars and is a great success story in Asia, but has trouble getting any traction here with the small lineup for sale in the USA. Currently, the SX4 models and Kizashi are "all Suzuki," fun to drive, and quite reliable. The "Suzuki" Equator pickup is actually a Nissan. Anyway, if I were you, I would swear off any Daewoo product for the time being, and give little Suzuki a break.
  • igotabadcarigotabadcar Member Posts: 1
  • sjack480sjack480 Member Posts: 1
    My check engine started coming on 3 months after i bought car bran new off lot(42 miles on it). I began asking then what was worng with my car. I have been told nothing jsut a fuse(80 to fix). Then was told its no longer under warranty. Need computer upgrade(80). THen was told thaat to fix my check engine light( no codes every should up that they coulod tell me baout) would cost me 345.00. Now i have finnally taken it to a differnet repair place and have been told its my cam shaft sensor and i need a theromostat. I have at this point recieved a ticket(116) due to expired tags because mt car can't get inspected with the light on. :mad:
  • maddudemaddude Member Posts: 4
    who ever you are dealing with at the dealership is full of it! I'm a competent diagnostic technician and can tell you that there is no fuse that will turn the check engine light on, exept the engine fuse which will also cause the engine not to run. These computer upgrades are nothing more than a scam for a lack of proper diagnostics. Suzuki dealerships have been using this non=definable statement to cover up the fact that their cars have problems they don't have the expertise to fix.
  • brizzybrizzy Member Posts: 2
    suzuki forenza 05' 74000 miles

I have had this whistle for weeks after replacing the air breather box cause the plastic holding it on the intake broke, replaced intake manifold gasket and it did not remove the high pitch squeal/whistle it definetely is not the belts because the sound comes right around the distibuter area and and spark plug area. its so loud it echo's and really hard to pinpoint the origin would this be vacuum leak and covered under the powertrain 100,000 mile warranty it goes away not completely though when engine heats up more to normal operating tempature worse when just start up and cold... also I think its reducing my mpg to like 23 mpg.. or so any ideas, anyone with something similiar have it worked on and fixed im pulling hair here to find it
  • brizzybrizzy Member Posts: 2
    dealership thinks its the EGR valve gasket after spraying with brake cleaner whistle went away, and dealership can duplicate I've ordered the Gasket and going to replace it myself looks like 4 bolts should be easy pz
  • foolrenzafoolrenza Member Posts: 1
    Battery good, spark good, fuel pump good, just change oil will not start on its own will start with starting fluid and it will stay running some postings touch on this some does any one have a new suggestion? top half of motor replaced last spring; bent all the valves in two seperate directions sitting at a traffic light, and mechanic stated the timing was dead on!
  • brendaegbrendaeg Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Forenza and was a dream until about a year ago. Only have 58,000 miles on it. Had the cracked gasket problem last year. Lost my headlights a few weeks ago and found out there was a wiring recall for this, so I had that repaired. A week later the ENGINE LOCKED! Needs a new engine!!!! Luckily still under the 70,000/7 warranty so they have to replace it. But about 1 month before this happened the Check Engine light kept coming on and going off. At first I thought my gas cap needed to be replaced because this can cause this to happen. Well, I guess it was THE WARNING for ENGINE FAILURE!!! I HATE SUZUKI!!
  • forenzafoolforenzafool Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I have a 2006 Suzuki Forenza, and have had to replace all of the struts. I see now that other people are having the same issue. This shouldn't be happening already. Suzuki needs to recall these struts or give out refunds on this crappy car.
  • lj913lj913 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 06 Forenza and nothing but problems. I have a blown head gasket and cylinder #4 misfire. Seems like a lot of people have the gasket problem. I read somewhere on here about a 70k/7 year warranty. Does anyone know anything about this?

I bought the car in 08 and i remember it having engine trouble and it turned out it was some sort of factory defect. They supposedly fixed it by now in 2011 I am unable to drive the car at all. I have taken good care of this car and I still owe on it. I am having to take the bus to work and walk everywhere. Any advice anyone can give me would be great. And I really don't know that much about cars. I have gotten 3 estimates to fix it and they have all said $1500 to $1850!
  • lj913lj913 Member Posts: 2
    Oh yeah and my passenger door handle broke too! What a piece of junk this car is. I wish I would have known. I owe $3900 on it and I can't even sell it.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    There's a 7 year/100K warranty on the drivetrain, yes, but I haven't read their warranty and don't know what is included/excluded. You'd best check this out with the dealer.
  • brendaegbrendaeg Member Posts: 3
    Yes it is under that powertrain warranty, but it's 7/70. Thanks. I worry what will be next.
  • dirfuneraldirfuneral Member Posts: 1
    I am financing a Forenza, 2007 but not even a year into buying the car, my transmission is slipping, tire pressure light has been on since I got the car, now the airbags is going bad. When I called the extended warranty people nothing is covered, and there is no recall on anything. Suzuki has one of the worst websites and its customer service STINKS!!!! No one wants to respond or offer a good solution to any problem you have. They can have the car it is not worth my money.
  • brianm14brianm14 Member Posts: 1
    The plastic air breather box (the box that sits on top of the tube containing the throttle plate) was lose, becuase the plastic fingers holding it in place cracked. I've rigged up a make-shift fix using a tuna can and rivets, but where can I get a box at a decent price??????? I am seeing all sorts of prices, sing above $400.

Any help will be appreciate

Thanks,

Brian
  • leelalgrleelalgr Member Posts: 2
    I have Suzuki Forenza 2007. It's Check light comes on. I took it to Dealer. They charged 200 dollars and said Break Light switch is bad, and they fixed it. After 4 -5 days, the Check light is coming back On again. What should i do ? I am afraid to drive it ?
  • leelalgrleelalgr Member Posts: 2
    I have Suzuki Forenza 2007. It's Check light comes on. I took it to Suzuki Dealer. They charged 200 dollars and said Break Light switch is bad, and they fixed it. After 4 -5 days, the Check light is coming back On again. What should i do ? I am afraid to drive it ?

Any help is appriciate.
    --Leela
    just had camshaft position sensor replaced took engine light off. Car still idles high, loses speed and sometimes reves to 4 5rpms and wont' go over 30 till it decides to jerk in to gear. Transmission seems fine. could this be a compression problem or am i looking at carbourator? anyone?
  • j357j357 Member Posts: 1
    The black metal molding strip on the roof has come off. I can't figure out how to get it back on. The molding has channels that are supposed to clip over rubber ribs glued to the roof but I can't get the molding to clip (or stay) on the rubber. Do I need a weird tool, or new cuss words?

Any help is appreciated, thanks
  • sweetypiesweetypie Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
  • lt2011lt2011 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if someone posted this yet but if you take it to the dealership and tell them about your door handles they should replace them for free ( the repairman called it goodwill since they are not on recall - yet!).

Both my back door handles fell off within 2 yrs of having the vehicle. Finally got it replaced this year!
  • cw56cw56 Member Posts: 1
    Have 2006 forenza wagon have replaced rear brake lite bulb 3 times last time new bulb didn't work hubby pulled off cover and ran meter test all working put back bulb to see if would work and the headlite quit and we couldn't shift out of park. Got the shifter to work blown fuse but still the headlite on driverside doesn't work and the rear lites don't work. Can't find anything on troubleshooting this or a manual to work from anyone else having the problem
  • nightsky30nightsky30 Member Posts: 1
    I've put this car through the worst conditions and just keeps coming back for more:) I have low profile tires on mine so I have no tire problem,handling saved my life:D I was driving through a rough winter storm and a car ran a red light and I (irresponsibly) was driving fast for conditions and had to swerve to avoid a collision and the handling did exceptionally well!my little 07 Suzuki forenza has a k&n drop-in filter to help my gas millage!this car has taken me from Miami FL to Pennsylvania to New York and back to Miami with out changing oil or doing maintenance on it and I took it to my mechanic n he said its in perfect condition.....just change oil n go:D 63,000mi running strong:) I bought it with 2 miles on it.
  • daveg9daveg9 Member Posts: 1
    Suzzie033,

I am having some safety issues with my 06 Suzuki Forenza and have got an e-mail chain going. Could you e-mail me and I'll include you?

davidgonz85@gmail.com
  • 1suzuki1suzuki Member Posts: 3
    2007 WARRANTY IS ONLY GOOD ON TRANSMISSION, I HAVE HAD THE SENSOR PROBLEMS, NOT INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION, I AM BEING CHARGED $400.00 FOR THE FIXING AND THEY SAID IT MAY NOT FIX IT, I DO NOT WANT TO PAY $700. FOR THE TUNE-UP[ AND I THINK ONCE THEY GET THE CAR IN THE SHOP THEY WILL CONTINUE TO CHARGE ME $$$$$
    YES, PLEASE CONTACT ME ALSO, I HAVE '07 SUZUKI FORENZA AND I AM TOLD THAT THE SENSOR IS OUT?? MAYBE, BUT THEY WILL NOT KNOW FOR SURE UNTIL THEY START TO FIX IT, I THINK THEY DO NOT WANT TO LET ME KNOW THAT IF I DO NOT PAY FOR THE TUNE-UP OF $700 THEY WILL GET IT OUT OF ME ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.
  • First off, turn off your cap lock. No need to shout at us. Secondly, find out what sensor. An oxygen sensor? Or does it have to do with the fuel injection (a somewhat common problem). You can have Autozone or another independent place run a computer check and find out what the error code(s) is (are). If you don't trust the shop, find another. The car guys on NPR have a database of good ones all over the country. Or google repair shop reviews. There are some really honest people out there. Don't pay the $700 unless you know this is a reliable place that will stand behind their work. The Forenza may not be the most comfortable or best engineered car, but it had a lot of features for the price. A lot of owners have found it to be trouble-free with just routine maintenance.
  • kathyc59kathyc59 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 Suzuki Forenza with 52000 miles on it. I have had to replace the gas cap several times because the check engine light comes on. Struts cost over 500, and now I was driving 60 miles a hour and the car sounded like it went into neutral, then the next day I was driving 40 miles a hour and it went into neutral 3 different times again. I am now a little scared to drive the car.
    The dealer I bought it from auffenburg in illinois and they sold the suzuki dealership. :cry:
    I had my seat belt recall and auffenburg refused to do it there I had to drive over a hour away to get that fixed a couple of years ago.
    i had this problem with the suzuki forenza popping out of gear and yes i was afraid to drive mine too, mine is a 2007 brand new when i bought it, i complained to the company in california, and they contacted the local suzuki and fixed it for me free, after i had paid $300 to fix something else that did not fix it, the crank shaft sensor, so i do not know what had to be fixed , another sensor, but if you complain to the suzuki in california, they might get it fixed for you free, which is a great deal, in am in oregon, thanks, hope this helps. complain, complain, squeaky wheel, you know,
  • rcolli16rcolli16 Member Posts: 1
    I recently started having a problem with my 04 forenza. My check engine light is blinking, which I didn't know could happen, and my car feels like it is low on power until it warms up, especially when it is shifting between first and second gear. It jerks and is idling rough. I am wary on taking it to a mechanic as they have been wrong and screwed me out of money before. Anyone have this problem before or have any thoughts?
    A blinking engine light is an emergency signal. You shouldn't be driving the car. It sounds like you might have a clogged catalytic converter.
  • A blinking check engine light does not necessarily mean that you must not drive the car. The light will usually blink if you have more than one error code going. You need to get to Autozone or some place that can give you a readout of your error codes, and then you will know more.

And some mechanics are better than others. Do a google search and see who gets good ratings or recommendations in your area. Or check Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers on npr.com to see if they list a good mechanic in your area. Good luck.
    True a blinking light doesn't mean "pull over" but I like to advise people to treat a blinking light a lot more seriously than a steady light--the catalytic converter can be damaged in case of misfire because raw fuel is being dumped into it. I haven't heard of multiple codes setting off a blinking light, so I don't know about that.

Blinking light is definitely a misfire--this is standard on all OBD-II systems far as I know.
  • You are right as well, Mr. host. A misfiring will cause a blinking light. But so will multiple error codes. The thing is, you don't know which is which. You just know that you have more than a simple error code going on (e.g., a failing oxygen sensor or a loose gas cap). Thus, it is made to blink to tell the driver to get the situation checked out ASAP.
    That's interesting. Do you have any further info on that or a link? I've never heard of multiple codes setting off a blinking light but if that's a built in feature for OBD-II, I'd like to know more about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2011
    It's obvious from the bit of research I have done that, as you said, blinking seems to indicate a misfire. I was going on information from the manual for my Mazda Millenia (no longer own it) that stated if another problem occurs while the MIL light is already on due to an error code, the MIL light could start blinking, to indicate additional error code(s). Never mind. :sick:
    The best I've been able to come up with is that if the engine light is blinking, it means that the computer thinks something is going on that might damage your car. So, sure, no reason why that couldn't be multiple codes.