Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Climate Control/AC Issues

13»

Comments

• gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    That says dealer item, so it will break just like the original. If you google there is a fix for free, if you are handy with tools.
  • tootal2tootal2 Member Posts: 13
    I got the new controls installed. Now how do i fix fan speeds 1 and 2?

also is there anyway i can get the front brake pads to last more then year? I wish gm would test everything in the car before they sell them.
    Replace the motor resistor, local purchase.
    Install good rotors, not Chinese, and good pads.
  • txsugarbeartxsugarbear Member Posts: 3
    Is there a a/c filter in the glove compartment that needs to be changed and how would I go about it? :confuse:
    Thanks for all the help guys
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    in the 04 malibu maxx..there isnt a filter.......but you can put one in..you have to remove the glovebox and do a slight modification.....the saturn ion filter will fit
    I am sorry Pao I forgot to specify that my car is a Malibu LS...Thanks for the help...I really appreciate it! ;)
  • gifthorsegifthorse Member Posts: 1
    :shades: Thanks for the info. I friend gave me his 1998 malibu. He was tired of the intermittent AC, bad radio reception, drive window inop and overheating. Found the radio fix on another post (Antenna cable under passenger carpet) The overheating was air in the cooling system and I used your post to resolve the AC issue. Great job and now I'm driving a very serviceable FREE 98 w/ 118K. Sweet. :)
  • navylife78navylife78 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 Malibu, and had problems with the A/C light flickering on and off intermittently. I thought the worst initially, but discovered an easy, easy, easy fix! All one has to do is clean the contacts behind the knobs/controls. That's right! Pull the knobs off, pull the cover plate off, and clean the contacts with alcohol and mild abrasive (i used the end of a screwdriver, gently).

The problem is fixed! The problem may resurface in 3-4 years, as new rust/corrosion forms on the contacts, but it is so easy to fix again! No need to replace the control unit.
  • globe199globe199 Member Posts: 6
    Since my original posting(s) in 2005, I've fixed the A/C module twice, once in each 2006 and again in 2007. The problem comes back, I'm afraid. I fully expect to be pulling the module again this year.

Here's what I was thinking this time though. Each time I take the controller apart, I become more and more skeptical that the problem lies deep inside the unit. There is NEVER any dust or dirt, and the contacts are basically in the same condition I left them.

I'm wondering it the simple act of disconnecting the unit from the car's 12v power is enough to "fix" the problem. That is, de-powering the unit maybe causes a reset in its circuits. If you could somehow get at the unit from behind and disconnect just the power, maybe you wouldn't have to go to the hassle of removing it entirely.

Any thoughts?
    Find which fuse powers it and pull that.
  • donmerwarthdonmerwarth Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the tip on the A/C problem, have had it for years, was thinking about buying a new switch module. I took it apart and in 10 minutes all was cleared up.
    :)
  • lmeyer0921lmeyer0921 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 01 malibu that the hvac system just stopped working i have checked all the fuses and relays i have also replaced the inside hvac control module and it worked for a few min. and then it quit again does anyone out there have any ideas where i should go from here??
  • timmy6timmy6 Member Posts: 1
    No, I tried that and even after a couple hours of no juice when reconnected it still kept switching back to external air. When I took the glovebox out I noticed that these switches operate a door that just rolls shut to circulate external air and opens for internal. Would there be any issue with just locking the door in an open position? If I want outside air the windows still work. :)
  • meethosmeethos Member Posts: 4
    I have similar issues to others with the AC working at times, recirculate changing back to fresh air by itself, Now, none of it works, rear defrost does not come on, AC does not work either and recirculated air does not work. I tried the fix but it did not work.....not sure where to go from here.

Also for a while, the AC was always on; even when the blower was in the off position
  • epolandepoland Member Posts: 1
    Oh my gosh! I have this same exact problem. I talked with someone at a chevy dealer today and they said it was something in the "computer" behind the buttons. They said the part I'd need would cost around $300.00. Clearly, I do not want to pay that. I'd like to take the thing off like suggested in previous posts but I cannot figure out how to do that. The buttons themselves don't just pop out and I have no idea how to actually take the whole thing off. For the last year the ac button light was always ON as well as the light on the button for air being pulled from outside. My defrost won't turn on. Now the AC won't turn on. I can't switch it to circulating air. The AC light was always on even if the vent was turned to off. What do I do???

forgot to add that I have a 2004 malibu classic
  • redirishredirish Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 malibu the rear deforst does not work and the ac lite does not come on or the ac ??? can you help thanks :confuse:
  • redirishredirish Member Posts: 2
    was you able to fix it ?
    Woo Hoo.....was finally able to fix mine for the time being. I found a used unit on Ebay($30 compared to $300); swapped out the climate control unit and it started working again.
    very easy to do, only took me 30 min the first time I took it off. First you start off by pulling the black trim(this is what covers the climate control unit, radio, ignition cigarette lighter) away from the dash board; I just used my fingers. Then I had to put the key in the igniton so I could move the gear shift back(did not have to start the car to do this) so I could completely remove the trim piece; I disconnected the wiring harness from the cigarette lighter. From there you will see two bolts that hold the unit in place, I just used a 7 mm socket to undo the bolts and the unit just came off, there will be four connections on the back of the unit, just make note of how the vaccum hoses are connected. Then follow the instructions below to disassemble the control unit.

http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/AC_ControllersAreRepairable.pdf
  • edarmentaedarmenta Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to read your post. What two items did you replace to fix the intermittent ac. Was it the resisetr or the main control module in front of tehd ash.?
    Thanks
  • davidlittle04davidlittle04 Member Posts: 1
    What part was it that you replaced? I looked and found the climate control console piece (part with knobs) for about $30 bucks. Was that the part, or is it something inside the dash, or was it a resistor, or what? Thanks so much!

Dave
  • hop2hop2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 Malibu LS

and I would like to know how to take that control panel out. I have been led to believe the whole dash-panel has to be removed, and I don't feel like going that far. I can't believe they were that stupid as to make it that unaccessable.
  • tkarrtkarr Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same problem with my 2004 Malibu. I had it replaced in 2006 under warr. After about 2 yrs, the AC light started blinking and it would go from recirrculating to fresh air. Last year on 7/24/08, I had it changed again and I paid for it! $480 bucks! Now, only a year later, it is doing it again and of course it is out of the Warr periode. If this is a big problem, why doesn;t Chevy do something about it!
    david, it was the whole unit; and it only cost me $30 bucks. It came as a whole unit, just unplugged the old one and replaced.
  • 4chevys4chevys Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Malibu and the air coming out of the AC does not blow where you have it set. It mostly blows from the floor vents. I have looked for a vacuum leak but cant find one. Should I try cleaning the switch?
    The switch o-rings might be worn, I think your on the right track.
    Cleaned the switch but the air still does not blow where it should.
    Sugestions please!!!!!
    Did not see any o-rings in the switch.
    What seals the ports?
  • farmer101farmer101 Member Posts: 3
    I have read all of the posts here and have not found a solution to my problem, yet. I have a 2004 Malibu Classic with manual air. The a/c worked intermittently last fall and then quit. The rear defroster has also stopped working as well as the re-circulating air control. I followed the directions given for taking the control apart and cleaning, but that did not fix the problem. I verified that the botton switches are, in fact, functioning, as in normally open and closed when pushed.

I removed the a/c relay and by connecting the relay contacts together with paper clips, the a/c compressor will turn on and work (can't very well control the a/c with paper clips all summer!) From the electrical diagrams that I have looked at, it appears that the Body Control Module (BCM) is not sending a signal to the a/c relay.

Has anyone had any experience with this? BTW, all fuses are good.

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks
    edited April 2010
    Has anyone checked for proper amount of 134a in your ac system.

Also are the pressure sensors working properly.
    Thanks gonogo, for the suggestion. I will verify these items tomorrow morning; however, I do not believe that the amount of 134a should affect the rear defroster or the air re-circulation setting, would it? If it does, GM is more screwed up than I thought! After verifying the charge amount and the sensors functionality, I will post again with the results.

Thanks,
    Struggling Farmer
    You have to start some where, finding out why the ac won't work might solve the other issues.
    You said the fuses are all good, did you check to see if they were getting power with key on.
    If the pressure switch is not sending a go signal to the BCM, it won't turn on the ac.
    Here's the latest update: The outside temperature took a turn downward (was frost on windshield the last several days). The a/c control is now working exactly as it should. The rear defroster is working again and the re-circulating air control is working. I don't know if there was a delayed reaction to my cleaning the a/c control board and switches or if there is an ambient temperature sensor that is only functioning when the outside temperature is cooler.

The a/c charge is normal and all the sensors are (currently) functioning correctly. Sure makes troubleshooting difficult when everything is working!

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what scan tool (besides a GM Tech II) is best for using on troubleshooting? I currently have an Actron model CP9180 which works fine for reading and clearing codes, but not for reading variables from the modules (I have experience using the GM Tech II, but cannot afford one).

Thanks for the info and I will post more if/when I learn more.
    Farmer
  • chevym03chevym03 Member Posts: 2
    the part # for the 2001-2003 V6 and the 2004-2005 I4 model yr is 17-72846 the earlier model yrs are 15-72610 or 15-72609 ACDelco part #s
  • veim3010veim3010 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2011
    I know exactly what you are talking about I have contacted Chevrolet of USA over it and the dealership where i purchased the car they tell me that its condensation. They want me to spend $80 plus taxes every month during the summer to flush the air ducts out. Meanwhile they are not interested in solving the problem. The problem is that the condensation does not drip out it builds up in the air conditioner and get like your clothes that have been in a washer for too long also builds up mold. In which you breath in when you use your air which also can kill you if it is black mold. Chevrolet of USA does know about this problem and just want you to keep paying to get it cleaned without really fixing the problem. I myself am not happy at all to have to pay $80 every month during the summer plus my regular car payments to not have this problem. I would deffinately look into it also you can get your owners manual and contacts Customer service at Chevrolet of USA about it. I have a case open with a guy named Joseph the # is 1-866-790-5600 ext-32943 if you would like to open a case of your own. It would also go to show that it is a manufacture defect since it is happening to more than one person.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    hope your realized you replied to a nearly 5 year old message in the thread..anyway.....you can get an AC sanitizer at any good auto parts store...spray in the outside intake with the fan on high and it will take care of the problem........its about 8 bucks a can last time I used it.....normally only takes one can a summer.....

the other way to avoid condensation...and it honestly shouldnt be that much..is to run the heater once a week or so...and burn off all the condensation in the system during the summer....
  • maddog0324maddog0324 Member Posts: 55
    Farmer,
    Did you resolve your intermittent a/c & rear defroster issues? I have a 2003 Malibu and have been experiencing the intermittent a/c compressor & recirculation since the extended warranty expired in 2007. I believe that you and I have a flakey BCM module in our Malibus. Let me know what you come up with.

Maddog
    Did you get a chance to check the BCM? I have a 2003 Malibu 3.1 and have been experiencing intermittent a/c and recirculation operation for the last 3 years (doesn't matter what season it is). I believe the BCM is the culprit. Have you been experiencing any THEFT SYSTEM issues? My Malibu used to experience the No Start - 10 minute re-learn process at least twice a month until I tried the resistor bypass procedure. It now starts every time, even after having the battery replaced, but the THEFT SYSTEM light burns steady. Any solutions?
  • answermananswerman Member Posts: 1
    I also had 2 Malibu cars, 1998 and 2001. Both my vehicles had the same A/C problem, with that module button switching from the a/c position to off. Here is what I have found about it. The module can be replaced, but it is likely to only be dirty and needs only to be cleaned, (much like cleaning a smoke detector). Go to the link below and there are instructions on how to do the necessary cleaning. Good Luck, it works. http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/AC_ControllersAreRepairable.pdf
  • ibm_jeepguyibm_jeepguy Member Posts: 1
    http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/AC_ControllersAreRepairable.pdf

This works perfectly well... 2004 Malibu, 1 hour, pry tools to remove the front bezel, 2 torqs screws, and the climate control unit pops out. Took it inside, tore it down to the control board, Went over all the contacts with a pencil eraser, then washed it all down with Electrical contact cleaner. I took the 2 dials apart, cleaned all contacts, and replace the grease.

My GF was going to have the dealer do it for $150 in parts + Labor.
  • nmcphillipsnmcphillips Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the AC straightened out? I am experiencing the same problems as madog0324
    I cleaned the contacts for the temperature rotary switch and put a little more bend on the two contact arms. I haven't had the intermittent a/c compressor since. I am still having the THEFT SYSTEM issues.
  • mmgiannmmgiann Member Posts: 1
    My A/C stoped working along with the engine temp. gauge. The next time I started my car - it worked. Now 2-3 weeks later it has completely stopped working - it just blows hot (outside temp) air. Computer issue? thermostate? Looking to see if we can fix this instead of $$$$ at the dealer. Thank you!
    The A/C compressor & both cooling fans quit working today. R-134 charge is good. Temp guage works. The car almost overheated in rush hour traffic. It cooled down once traffic started moving. All fuses and relays check out good. The a/c light on the HVAC control lights up, but the compressor does not engage. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • mheat91mheat91 Member Posts: 1
    HELP..... So my wife's 2002 Malibu LS has been having similar problems with the AC as well. For awhile now the car has been blowing nothing but hot air. I turn the AC on in car, rather it be on the re-circulate or just regular it still blows hot air. But, the heater works just fine. The A/C compressor is running so I know its not that, so I decided to change the AC compressor relay.. still blows hot air. Car has Freon in it as well (been awhile since it was changed out) but I would still think some cold would come threw the vents, but nope..all hot air. Please help with any suggestions or ideas.