Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Malibu Climate Control/AC Issues

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Does it drip water out the drain tube? I'm asking if it might be blocked from leaf bits or other small vegetation pieces that went in through the air intakes.

Also, are you parking your car in a garage? If so leave the windows wide open to let the air move through the car and dry out the heater/AC box. If you park outside, can you leave the windows down slightly to let air move through the car, during the day at least?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    Thanks for the suggestions and I will be checking the drain tube, if I can find it! The smell isnt musty and only happens after the a/c has been running and then I shut if off. On other cars in that situation there is always a "smell" afterwards, a kind of stale smell for awhile which isnt that objectionable but this is that same type of smell only magnified many many times. If it were a problem in the blower or airflow system it should be there all the time so deordorizing in my mind, shouldnt help.
  • cduncan80cduncan80 Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a 2001 malibu. I am having alot of different problems. I have the AC switch going from inside air to outside air by itself, it surges while driving not to mention very rough shifting, and when I recently had to replace the fuel pump, My husband and I noticed that every fuse under the hood and inside the car are burnt. Not burnt out to the point of not working, but just really black. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this? I have had so many problems with this car! My air conditioner doesn't even blow cold air!
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    Did you buy the car new or used? If used it might be a flood damaged car. I've been in the electrical/electronic industry for 50 or so years and cannot think of a reason why all fuses are burnt black without blowing. If a circuit is overloaded the fuse wire should blow before burning the fuse holder black. Unless heavier rated fuses were fitted. Like a 15amp fuse in a 5amp position. Then if that circuit draws a sustained current of say 14amps the fuse holder could heat up without blowing.

It's weird that all fuses are burnt black.
  • 37453745 Member Posts: 152
    On second thoughts, the fuses could also be heating up because of bad contacts between the fuse and fuse socket. Which brings corrosion to mind which might mean water damage which in turn would be the cause of all your problems.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Older Malibus have a history of having corroded HVAC controls. These can cause all kinds of erratic HVAC operation.

You may be able to find a procedure to disassemble the HVAC control panel and clean the contacts by doing a web search.
  • countrygirlcountrygirl Member Posts: 1
    My 01 Malibu is doing the same thing with the ac. The air doesn't seem to blow out very cold either. It always switches from inside air to outside air as well. The air also smells funny. It has a chemical smell, like the floor of a garage. If the car has been sitting in the sun for awhile it smells like sour water when you crank it. What is the deal?
  • mhelselmhelsel Member Posts: 11
    Go to your dealer and have them turn on the fan setting for the AC, which turns on after the car is turned off and will dry out, so there is no mold.

good luck
    mhelsel ;)
  • davez1davez1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Malibu 2000. The AC blower air only comes through the floor outlets and the windshield defroster outlet, but no air comes through the instrument panel outlet regardless what mode knob setting is. I first had this problem several years ago and was fixed under warranty; but the problem reappeared a year or two later. So I like to be able to fix it myself instead of going to shop every year or two. I'd appreciate if someone can give me some pointers on the cause and fix.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    That model had a system which used vacuum actuators to control the mode doors in the heater blower assembly. The control head swith has vacuum hoses that run to the various actuators. There is also a hose that runs to the vacuum "tank" which "stores" engine vacuum and a hose that runs thru a wiring harness underhood to connect to the engine for the vacuum source. Only the temperature control was an electric actuator.

I don't understand well enough the modes of vacuum system to figure out what mode it is in based on your description, sorry.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    A good start is check the vacuum lines under the hood. Start at the intake manifold and trace to the reservoir, from reservoir to the firewall.
    You need the factory service manual for that model and air conditioner system. You might have vacuum tubes and you might haveelectrical components moving vanes.

You might look for the vacuum storage tank that holds vacuum while the motor is accelerating in the engine compartment. Right after motor is turned off pull tube off the housing and you should hearair rushing in. If not, you could have a crack in it, a leak inside the tubing inside the passenger compartment or a tube off somewhere.

If you have vacuum to the interior of the car, then the problem may be the control that switches the vacuum to various vacuum motors that pull the vanes inside the box to make the air do the right thing.

The air goes to the defroster if there's no vacuum in the system as a safety mode. Then you can always "see" to drive the car. But a vane closes off the air to the defroster and makes it come out the dash vents. So if that motor, or tube, or no vacuum condition doesn't have the right vacuum, you have defrost only. Time for some upside down troubleshooting under the dash.

Try helminc.com for factory service manuals or EBay (yuck).

• pulliagspulliags Member Posts: 3
    Need a little help with this one. I've searched the forum, but this appears to be a little different than what other's have experienced. When I initially start my 99 Malibu the AC works fine at all 5 settings. After driving for about a half hour, the force of the air flow coming out of the vents starts weakening. After about another 5 minutes, the air is barely blowing at all even at level 5; but still feels relatively cold. On the 95 degree days where I live I need the AC to keep blowing. I've had the blower motor replaced, but that didn't do a thing. Any ideas? Thanks!! :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Hmmm...sounds like a vacuum failure at one of the "blending doors" that directs air flow. I bet you feel cold because all the AC is going to the floorboard area. Did you check to see if it's blowing strong down there?
    I don't really feel cold because the air flow doesn't keep up with the 90 degree temperature. I haven't checked to see if I can feel it coming out in the floorboard area. I'll give that a shot. Why would it work at first, but then fail after 30 minutes of driving?? Thanks!!
  • shadow5599shadow5599 Member Posts: 101
    Not sure if it has an air filter but I know someone with a Venture minivan and airflow pretty much came to a stop and that's what was wrong. Once the filter that resides behind the glovebox was changed all was normal again.
    Sounds like it could be a decrease in vacuum or a problem in the control that switches the vacuum or a failure in one of the vacuum "motors" that move the vanes.

Also could it be the evaporator is freezing up and partically blocking the flow of air through it? With low charge the ACs sometimes run colder than normal. Does your AC click in and out several times a minute when idling right after driving it? You can hear the clutch engage if you have a window down.

One way to check for freezing is to turn off AC and just use vent for a few minutes. If the air flow increases again that would be the ice melting from the evaporator letting air through easily again.

I have noticed on several occasions that I've seen a cold mist blowing out of the vents after the air has slowed out of the vents. This isn't every time, but has happened.
    Try this, when it is not blowing very strong shut off the A/C for a few minutes with the blower on, if the air flow comes back your evaparator is icing up.
    >One way to check for freezing is to turn off AC and just use vent for a few minutes. If the air flow increases again that would be the ice melting from the evaporator letting air through easily again.

I already suggested that to pulliags.

What result did you get?

• dbenniondbennion Member Posts: 1
    I see many different issues with the air conditioners but nothing like what is happening in my Malibu. The air conditioner works great when the AC light is illuminated, but the light turns off at random. When I notice the air is not blowing cold anymore, I will press the AC button several times until the light comes on and I can hear the compressor start again. It is very temperamental. It will work fine until I turn it from 3 to 2 then it will shut off but will come back on if I switch it back to 3. Is it a fuse issue or something else? Any Ideas??? Thanks
  • cwfinncwfinn Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. It turned out to be the wiper on the back of the terperature control. I opened up the control unit and bent the wiper to make a stronger contact with the board and it has worked fine since (2 years).
  • wxman4wxman4 Member Posts: 53
    My '99 had a problem with the little light in the AC button going off and on by itself. AC was only working when the light was on. The fix was to replace the control head in the dash (the actual panel with the knobs and buttons). Fairly easy to replace, but over $200 new for the part.

Wxman
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    ...but I am really curious as to if the redesigns the Malibu got for '04 and onward will head off all these AC problems that the earlier Malibus have had.

Are the switches, servos, etc. substantially different in the '04's ..vs.. earlier Mailbus?
    I am not familar with the AC problems with previous body style Malibu other than the blower resistor card.

The main components like actuators and control head are substantionally different. Old body style had mostly vacuum actuators while new one has all electric motors. The blower motor is a blower motor don't know how different it is. The base AC system still has a resistor card but is most likely a new design. The auto AC system uses an electronic module in place of the blower resistor which provides more blower speeds.
    Glad to read I have a resistor motor control, modules are not cheap.
  • midlogearheadmidlogearhead Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem. Thank you for sharing that bending the wiper on the control unit fixed it. However, can you also tell me how to get the control unit out and apart. I don't want to destroy the plastic parts trying to figure this out myself. Your experience and help is much appreciated. (I just wasted $20 replacing the compressor relay thinking that might be the problem. :( )
  • danner_3900danner_3900 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 97 malibu with 3.0l and it blows fuses that control gauges on dash with the ac off even can anyone give any ideas?if i leave the relay out the gauges are ok only when i put the relay back in it will blow the fuses is that the body control modual or somewheres else?
    What relay?
  • danner_3900danner_3900 Member Posts: 2
    its the ac relay under hood in main fuse box
    I would still be suspicious then that it is something associated with AC compressor even though you believe the fuse blows when AC is OFF. Sometimes AC is actually on even when not requested (like if you are in defrost or defog mode.

I would look at AC compressor, wiring to it as well as the AC compressor clutch diode in same center as the fuse and relay for being shorted out.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I posted this in the Maxx forum about my 05 LS with manual HVAC controls. I'm a couple of months from running off the end of my warranty.

1. Had no heat for a couple of weeks in late April. Was going to take it in at a regular service but it corrected itself.
    2. Since then, on about three occasions, I've had the heat on full blast when the heater controller is off. Not pleasant in late June. This has lasted only a minute or two. I suspect the A/C continued to operate but of course it was totally overcome by the heater. All occurances on start-up with a warm engine.

Intermittant problems are always pleasant.
  • mattmorismattmoris Member Posts: 1
    The "home fix" worked great! I have an associates degree in Electronics, so it was easy enough for me to do! But, I think most techies and do-it-yourselfers should be able to tackle this project. I drove around for about a half-hour and the AC stayed on the whole time-first time in the 2+ years I've owned it!!!! Don't buy a refill kit like I did till you try the fix. It could save you money and actually fix it! :shades:
  • rampgeekrampgeek Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this tip, it really worked out and saved me some cash......
  • flapeyreflapeyre Member Posts: 1
    This car has a V6. When you start it when the ambient temperature is high, it blows hot air. The compressor does appear to click on, and after anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes of driving, the cold air starts coming out normally. It only happens when the outside temp is in the high 80's or above. The dealer had replaced a sensor, and that made the problem a little better, but not much. :cry:
  • bccamanbccaman Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same issue w/my '98 Malibu. It was the heater control head. I had the dealer replace one under warranty & it was fine for 2-3 years & same symptoms. I bought a junkyard heater control head off eBay ($30) & it fixed it, again.
  • mdp35submdp35sub Member Posts: 4
    2005 Classic, 40,000 miles: Sometimes the A/C will stop blowing cold air. I can stop and restart the car and it will start blowing cold again. This usually happens within 10 minutes of start up. It will blow cold but stops suddenly. Any ideas?

Mark
  • bryan200kbryan200k Member Posts: 64
    I noticed that you posted this back in 2005, and I've been having these problems with my 2000 Malibu, and have just been 'living with' them. I finally did something about it and a few months ago talked to my service manager.

The problem with the Setting 1 and 2 not working was a resistor.

The problem with the Air Compressor light going on-and-off, indicating that the Compressor was cycling on-and-off, was a burnt out control module. And as observed by someone else, it would affect the RPM readout (and the RPMs).

Since replacing these two components, I have had no problem with these issues.
  • redlemonredlemon Member Posts: 4
    My family has a total of 4 Malibu cars ranging from 1998-2003. They have between 70K-150K miles now. All good cars except, they have all hade the same ac problems. The ac control module keeps flipping on and off in all of them. It can be fixed for a little over $300, buy it will break again. Mine works now after fixing it at 20K miles and I expect it will need to be replaced again by 100K. Chevrolet should be fixing them for free. It is obvious that it is an engineering defect. The total family bill is reaching $2K to keep our ac on. Love the cars, but hate the ac problems.
    There is a shade tree fix for the A/C problem, just google it, google is my friend.
  • darek99darek99 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Malibu is making metallic grinding noise. It is related to air conditioning.
    It happens when AC is off!!!!!. If I turn AC on the noise stops. Otherwise AC works good, cools nicely. What could be causing that? :confuse:
    Most likely clutch bearing, when the A/C is engaged the bearing no longer rotates. A good A/C shop will replace just the bearing. Most just in stall a new clutch or worse a new compressor, big bucks.
  • duffin1duffin1 Member Posts: 1
    Howdy all

I just bought a 2003 Malibu and have noticed that the interior fan for the heater and A/C is always on.
    I've looked for a way to shut the fan off and cannot
    find a way to stop it from blowing air into the cabin. Any suggestions

Cheers
    Duffin
  • aspen2aspen2 Member Posts: 3
    I found that you could access and clean the contracts on the board without taking the controller unit apart. Once the unit is removed from the dash, remove the button from the from of the selector switch and just unscrew the two screws on the back of the controller that are holding in the selector switch. When you remove the switch from the back of the controller you can see the area of the printed circuit board that has the worn contacts (they are circular in shape on the board). Clean with alcohol, apply some graphite to the worn contacts on the board and put the selector switch back in.
    I found that you could access and clean the contracts on the controller board without taking the controller unit apart. Once the unit is removed from the dash (remove bezels around ignition key switch and bezel around radio and a/c controller. Both bezels pop out without removing any fastners_, remove the button from the front of the selector switch and just unscrew the two screws on the back of the controller that are holding in the selector switch. When you remove the switch from the back of the controller you can see the area of the printed circuit board that has the worn contacts (they are circular in shape on the board). Clean with alcohol, apply some graphite to the worn contacts (can use a #2 pencil) on the board and put the selector switch back in.
    I also had (and will probably have again) the problem with the ac control module on my 2001 malibu. I have had success fixing it with pencil graphite and some cleaning alcohol. Total first time repair was 30 minutes. Can probably do the next one in 20 or less. Total repair requires you to remove two small bolts holding in the controller unit and two torx screws holding the mode selector switch in the controller unit.

My problem was that the contacts on the controller circuit board for the mode selector (floor, dash, defrost selector) were worn. I found that you could access and clean the contacts on the controller board without taking the controller unit totally apart as suggested in the "A/C Controllers are Repairable" article cited in an earlier post.

First you must remove the controller unit from the dash. To do this remove the plastic bezel around the ignition key switch and the bezel around the radio and a/c controller. Both bezels pop out without removing any fastners. You may need to put the shifter into 1st to get space to remove the larger bezel. Once removed, you can move the bezel off to the side or unclip the cigarette lighter and free the bezel completely. Gentlely unclip the four connectors (3 electrical, 1 vacuum) from the back of the controller. Don't force anything. You can now take the unit out of the car and work on it in comfort.

Remove the button from the front of the mode selector switch and unscrew the two torx screws on the back of the controller that are holding in the selector switch. When you remove the switch from the back of the controller you can see the area of the printed circuit board that has the worn contacts (they are circular in shape on the board). Clean with alcohol, apply some graphite to the worn contacts (can use a #2 pencil) on the board and put the selector switch back in. I also bent the two copper connectors on the switch out a small amount to ensure that they make good contact with the circuit board when the selector mode is turned.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    My 2005 had a musty smell coming from the ducts, for the last two years, this was very noticeable after the a/c was used. GM applied a fremfresh conditioner into the the evaporator to get rid of the mold/mildew smell.$230 later the problem was gone. A/C are not covered under warranty says GM canada.
  • jeromebjeromeb Member Posts: 31
    You guys helped greatly! Thanks!

The Torx driver needed is sized TX15.

I used a quick drying electrical component cleaner that I purchased from an Autozone.

I'll mention the wavy washer and the plastic block with the copper contact points.
    Both of those are revealed when the harnesses are unscrewed from the back of the unit. Don't lose them, and don't forget to replace them when you reassemble the unit.
    I also cleaned the contact points on that plastic block, just in case.
    I'll also mention that removing the control knobs was easy with a pair of pliers. I used a piece of paper to protect the plastic of the knob from the pliers.

Other than that, the information in earlier messages and the AC_ControllersAreRepairable is all you need.

The particular a/c controller unit I fixed is the 4th unit I've had in my 2003 Malibu. The first one lasted a couple of years. The three subsequent were all warranty replacements of the previous one. I figured, with a warranty like that, what's the harm of voiding it? My a/c controller works now, and I thank you.

Vexed owners of a strangely behaving a/c controller, go forth and fix it!
  • tootal2tootal2 Member Posts: 13
    Is there a easy way to fix the intermittent ac problem on the 99
    Malibu? This is the worst car i have ever owned:(

thanks
  • tootal2tootal2 Member Posts: 13
    will this fix the intermittent problem with my chevy?
    http://www.conquestauto.com/servlet/the-965/97-98-99-00/Detail

If this works the next thing i need to fix is fan speeds 1 and 2:(