Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Infiniti M35/M45

2»

Comments

• zidecarzidecar Member Posts: 49
    Did the decision for anyone else come down to the 530xi and M35x? Clearly it's all personal preference, but I'm curious as to factors others may have considered.

In my case, it came down to the M35X, Audi A6 & 530xi. The 530xi fell off the list first - didn't like their Idrive, had less interior rear space and no coolant temp guage! I also preferred the old guage layout that BMW had been using for years on their previous 3 and 5 series.

There was also the value proposition, the M35x provides more 'bang' for the 'buck', but offers less in terms of 'prestige'. As far as 'ride & handling' are concerned, I'd say the 530ix was a little better but not enough to make up for its other short comings. As you state, these are personal preferences that each drive must make. So far, I have not regretted mine for an instant. My M35x has been one extraordinarily fine car with a first year reliability record that has been much better than any of the BMWs or Audis I have owned in the past.
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    There was also the value proposition, the M35x provides more 'bang' for the 'buck', but offers less in terms of 'prestige'.

Less perceived "prestige" for me, as I imagine it is for some others, is part of the practical side of the Infiniti too. Sort of a "sleeper" among the LPS autos.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    "The only disappointment I see is the bluetooth phone system and the low beam headlights."

My low beams don't seem to aim too low or too high. Has this varied from unit to unit?

I haven't yet tried bluetooth phone, but will be replacing Treo 600 with Treo 700p from Verizon. What problems should I expect?
    About tires on M35. They have an "M&S" symbol, but V-rated tires, I suspect, are never really mud and snow tires; and these Goodyears are routinely complained about on these forums as well as on Tire Rack surveys. Wondering if anyone with M35x would post exact tire info?

Didn't end up getting "x" version of M35, but for a couple of weeks I was considering 530ix versus Audi A6 versus M35x but decided that (for the rain only -- no snow -- climate where I live) I'd go with regular M35. When I did test drive the three listed above, I liked feel of Audi four-wheel-drive system best. That tallied with (Road and Track, I think) comparison of BMW 325ix, Audi A4, Infiniti G35x, Subaru, etc., cars. Also, my family has always found back seat of BMW 5-series to be only a bit roomier than that of 3-series, whereas Audi A6 and Infiniti M35x are very roomy back seats.

For what little it's worth (it goes so much against common experience) I liked the Audi MMI and dashboard displays best of the three (usually, everyone hates BMW's iDrive and loves M35's still-has-buttons system, with Audi coming in as "OK, if you have to do the computer menu thing").
    Has anyone actually taken delivery of a 2007 yet?

I noticed that at the top of this forum, the "consumer review" section switched over to "no reviews" a while back, seeming to mean that edmunds was no longer asking for reviews of 2006, but only 2007. Now there is one review indicated and the person who posted it describes having driven a 2007 AWD in the snow somewhere.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    Unless one is driving from the passenger seat, the 2007 should drive exactly the same as the 2006. It's pretty much the only thing that's changed other than the packaging.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    People can review any MY of any car. The link to the latest MY is listed above, but the other reviews are all available.
    Actually, the intent of my earlier posting was two-fold: one part was simply curiosity about whether Infinity has yet delivered any 2007s (I have understood for some time, form the forum and other sources, that no real change, except the enhanced passenger seat controls were expected, and so wasn't inetnding curiosity about how the 2007s are to drive); the sceond was curiosity about whether it's likely that someone could have recently taken delivery of one and, if so, already have driven it in the snow.
  • velveteendad1velveteendad1 Member Posts: 36
    I'm very excited to say that I (finally) took delivery of my '07 yesterday. It was on special order since the beginning of April - a painful wait! So YES, they're out there somewhere.
    Congratulations! Which model do you have?
  • velveteendad1velveteendad1 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks, sfcharlie. It's a Luxury M35, Crimson/Graphite, Journey/Tech (2007 version of each pkg., both of which have fewer bells and whistles than the 2006 versions.) The color combo was impossible to find at a dealership back in March/April, and by the time I was ready to order, they were ordering the '07s.

I'm very happy that I waited, but I've hardly even driven it much yet - I have an appointment to get some Enkei aftermarket wheels put on it this Friday, and not driving much until then so the stock wheels will be in perfect resale condition.

In the meantime, I'm reading the forums to figure out the hack to upgrade the Bluetooth drivers on my Treo 650 so it works well in the car!
  • seihughseihugh Member Posts: 10
    picked it up today 22 july. not sure what more to say.. m45, tech package paid 56K ... I really like the 14 speaker sound. I find the voice recognition very good. it can set the tuner to 93.3 whether I say 933 or 933 it had no problems blue toothing to my phone and hasn't gotten a spoken phone number wrong yet. hate the fact I can't watch DVD unless park break is on . trunk is hard to close... any questions? passemger seat is same control features as drive (nice) .
    "trunk is hard to close". Funny, I thought I was the only one with that problem. I find that I can't close the trunk unless, with the trunk open, I hit the open button on the key FOB. I hear a click and that, somehow, resets the latch and it closes. Annoying, but I've learned how to live with it....until my next service.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    My 06 35x's trunk is kind of a pain, but I find that if I actually use the interior handle and give it a good tug, it usually closes on the first try. It is a far cry from the trunk on the Audi I turned in, where you could latch it with one finger after it was closed, and it didn't sound like an economy car's trunk when doing it either. Still, I like the car. We'll see how that works as the time goes on.
    I haven't had any trouble closing the trunk--although trunk does sound "cheap" upon closing, as James mentioned--odd, given solid sound of doors. Are you having the same trunk-closing problem described by "ghstudio" in msg 5866?

Gas mileage appears to be slowly improving -- measured 18 mpg (using the "old-fashioned" miles/gallons-at-fillup method, not the car's mileage computer, although that was only slightly off, at 17.7) with 89 octane gas.

Waiting to pick up Treo 700p replacement for current Treo 600 so I can try bluetooth phone. Was it much work to transfer stored numbers?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I haven't had any trouble closing the trunk--although trunk does sound "cheap" upon closing, as James mentioned--odd, given solid sound of doors.

Ah, I think it's because the trunk's made of aluminum.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    SO are the doors...The Audi's hood was too, and it didn't sound like a flimsy piece, either. You can't blame it on the aluminum, it is a design issue and where they chose to spend the money.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    SO are the doors...The Audi's hood was too, and it didn't sound like a flimsy piece, either. You can't blame it on the aluminum, it is a design issue and where they chose to spend the money.

Could be, but I don't buy a car based on the sound the doors make when they close.
    Sometimes people appear (always hard to tell what the feeling is behind the post, so I could be misreading this) to react as if a complaint about an aspect of a car they own and like is akin to a personal attack on a beloved family member.

Of course, we wouldn't be spending all this time talking to each other about our cars if we felt they were just ordinary objects.

But, speaking for myself, mentioning that the doors have a solid feel and sound when one closes them is a pretty common and longstanding type sampling of the body-build-quality. While few consumers probably buy (or not) a car through a model-by-model door-closing comparison, it's not a weird thing to notice and on which to comment.

Also, speaking for myself, my noting that the trunk sounds very different from the doors (something not generally true of cars I've owned) is just a "gee, curious" type of comment and not a "why would anyone buy a car with a trunk that doesn't sound like a bank vault closing?" type of comment, even though I used the word "cheap" to capture my own reaction when I hear it close
  • purplem46purplem46 Member Posts: 54
    Actually the sound of the aluminum conveys the opposite of cheap. It cost them more to produce the doors, trunk, and hood lids of aluminum and it was done to save weight. The same reason BMW used carbon fiber on the roof of the M6. It saves on gas mileage (I know, but think of the cost if heavier), and improves performance. A fairly brilliant move in this segment, of which I think we will see more of from others in the future.
    Thanks, that's a helpful clarification. Once my understanding of something like this changes, my visceral reaction often changes along with the new perspective on what I'm seeing or hearing -- new times and I'll learn to savor the reassuring sound of aluminum :)
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    new VQ engine that the G35 sedan is getting (80% new parts, variable cam timing on both intake and exhaust, over 300hp, supposedly more economical too). Unfortunately, not - at least for the immediate future. Maybe on the 08's?
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    I just recently discovered this site and find it a very interesting read. I currently own a '95 Q45a. I love it so its hard for me to justify buying a new car, but I am considering getting an M45 next year.

One disappointing thing I saw on the Infiniti web site is the engine now has 325 hp versus 335 in the 2006 model. I would have expected a slight hp boost. I would also have liked to see an M45x model (since I live in a snowy climate).
    The 2007 is the exact same engine as the 2006. They changed the way that all cars measure horsepower which is why 335 went to 325....no change to the engine.

for 2008,we are expecting the 3.7 engine or the enhanced 3.5 coming in the 2007 G. Probably we'll also get a CVT transmission which will raise the MPG.

There may well be a 4.7 to replace the 4.5. Not much talk about that. Also no talk about an M45x.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Not my experience at all. Trunk closes as easily as any car I've ever had ... easier than most. Must be a glitch somewhere in your M. Should readily be fixable. :shades:
    The trunk problem is easily recreatable. If I open it with the button on the trunk or with the button in the car, then I am unable to close the trunk and have it latch...it just won't latch.

If I then press the remote trunk open button with the trunk lid open, I hear a click and then I can just close the trunk easily. This does not happen if I try to push the button on the trunk though...only the button on the remote makes a difference.

My dealer will get the problem the next time I go in.....
  • pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    I have never had the slightest problem closing my trunk, and I typically open it with the button on the trunk rather than the fob. I'm certain that there's a problem with your trunk and that the dealer should fix it. The good news is that it's now easily reproducible. (So much easier to deal with than an intermittent problem.)

As for the cheap sound people hear when closing the trunk: I have totally handled this by using a chrome plate frame by Jewelry for cars, and by adding weather stripping between the plate and the frame and between the plate and the car. It now has an absolutely solid and high quality sound that anyone would enjoy. Believe me, the aluminum trunk has nothing to do with the the problem. That chrome frame looks just great btw, and I think the M deserves it. :) The noise that people hear (and which I've eliminated) comes from vibration of the plate against the frame and the car, and probably occurs because they use only 2 screws rather than 4.

BTW my Mercedes CLK has only two screws as well and has the identical vibration and noise when I close the trunk. It's my wife's car and she hasn't complained, so I haven't fixed it.

Pete
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    "It's my wife's car and she hasn't complained, so I haven't fixed it."

'Nuff said! :D
  • pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    "It's my wife's car and she hasn't complained, so I haven't fixed it."

'Nuff said!

You realize I HAVE fixed my M45, but NOT her CLK, right?

But I guess you understand all too well.

Pete
  • seriousdriveseriousdrive Member Posts: 4
    I was told that this was simply a matter of a processor controlling the injection and that the HP on the 2006 M35x could be raised by swapping out a controller chip. Anybody know anything about that? Sounds too good to be true.

2006 M35X all black in NYC.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    It is definitely NOT true! Infiniti advertised the new VQ engine in the G as "80% new parts". It has variable valve timing on both intake AND exhaust cams (VQ in the M only has it on the intake side), some changes to the air intake system and some other stuff - so it is not just a change in the chip. The fuel mileage improved slightly (one mgp I believe) for both ciy and highway ratings on the new engine. Not sure why they did not make this engine available in the M - maybe not enough production capacity, OR, maybe the M will get a new 3.7L engine for 08 - supposedly, Infiniti has trademarked the name.
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    Anyone with the newer models of the M, please chime in. Has Nissan/Infiniti fixed the problem with the radio display for the RDS/Satellite feature? Many of you know what I am talking about. The fact that the entire artist name and/or song title doesn't display if too long. Hard to believe that even US brands have radios that are able to scroll to show the entire artist name or song title and Infiniti doesn't. So much high tech gadgetry on a car and something so simple not addressed.
  • max929max929 Member Posts: 16
    2007 M35x here with tech/advanced tech. From the 'radio' button display on the main screen, the RDS info does appear for the stations that use it. The full artist/song title will scroll near the upper left part of the viewscreen. In addition, when playing a data disc CD with MP3s, you can see the first so many characters of tag information on the screen for about 15 songs and you can tab over to another screen which will show full tag info for the MP3 that is playing.
    Max
  • ak99ak99 Member Posts: 5
    The weather has finally gotten cold here in Ohio with some precipitation. And now it's hit me...my 2006 M doesn't have heated side mirrors like in my old 99 Acura RL. Has this feature been added for 2007?
  • mpoisson1mpoisson1 Member Posts: 9
    A friend of mine has an M45 and I know it has heated mirrors. I thought it was standard across the series. Thnking back to my days when I had a Maxima, I recall that Nissan put a little switch for the heated mirrors whereas most manufacturers tie it into the rear defroster. Not sure if that has changed.
  • berkesndberkesnd Member Posts: 9
    I am considering a 2007 M35 with technology package. This is a certified pre-owned offered by a local dealer. Are there any ongoing problems that I should be aware of. I have read about some issues with the navi system and blue tooth. For the most part, have they been solved? I would appreciate any input from 2007 owners. BTW, I loved the first test drive in the car . . handling, power, comfort, etc. I am planning another drive and it would be helpful to know what to look for. Thank you.
    No show stopping problems...just some annoyances.

The bluetooth system is OK, but you do sometimes get some echos and you do have to speak loudly.

Some gas pumps still pump fast....which sometimes causes the nozzle to cut off before the car is full. It's an annoyance, but someimes you have to hold the pump nozzle and pump in the gas slowly.

That's about it....excellent car. Gas mileage is not great, but it really runs just fine on regular gas...a big plus.
  • berkesndberkesnd Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the reply,

Any other thoughts by 2007 owners?
  • laiho51laiho51 Member Posts: 2
    I have had an M35X since 9/07. I chose it over an MB E350 4matic, BMW 528iX, Lexus GS350 AWD, Acura RL after an extensive comparison. The M35X offered the best combination of features, drivability, price, and reliability. I have not been able to find fault with almost anything with the car.

The only things I need improvement are: 1) gas milage - I am getting 24 highway and 17 city (I am not an aggressive driver). The car really needs 6 or 7 speed auto matic transmission to get the mileage up. At 55 mph the M35X engine RPM is about the same as my 4 speed auto Subaru Forester and Toyota Corolla LE; 2) engine/exhaust growl (MB, BMW, Lexus do not have this); and 3) the Bose audio system included with the Nav system sounds like a mono system. Infiniti should really look at approaching a high end electronic/speaker manufacturer (like Lexus with ML and Audi with B+O) to get a quality system.
  • m35x2007m35x2007 Member Posts: 1
    Any idea on how to replace the In Cabin Filter which is located behind the glove box?
    Thanks for any clues.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    to the Tires discussion. Here's the link: sadmom, "Infiniti M35/M45 Tires" #124, 16 Jul 2008 9:01 pm.
  • lvm50lvm50 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I just bought a 2007 M35X. I love it!
    I was leaving a parking lot thru a narrow exist and scratched my ivory beautiful car. Does anyone have an idea the cost to repair minor dent and scratch?

Thanks for any info.
  • lvm50lvm50 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know were I can get instructions? I am stuck when I want to enter a space for a street, i.e. Main Ave.
    Thanks for any help.
    It's easier to talk to the navigation....just say main ave. Alternatively enter main and it will give you choices....select main ave. I never use the keyboard but I am sure there is a space somewhere on the screen.
This discussion has been closed.