Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    LOL, that guy had a wet suit on too.

Steve, Host
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    The current version of Mobil 1 10W-30 says something about being formulated for high mileage vehicles. I called the Mobil 1 technical support line, and I was told that this is just a marketing thing and that the Mobil 1 10W-30 is the same stuff that it used to be.

On my little S-10 pickup with 156,000 miles on it, I use the Valvoline Maxlife. I don't know if it does any good or not, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. I think it has reduced the oil comsumption between changes, but it never used enough oil that I had to add oil between changes anyway. The truck had 134,000 miles on it when I got it, and I was afraid to switch it to Mobil 1, the oil of my choice, because I was afraid it would cause oil leaks on such an old engine.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    Take your time and find the jeep that is right for you. You might check out http://www.jeepthing.com for some posts about Camp Jeep 2002. JeepThing is a regional Jeep Club that built the trails for Camp Jeep 2002. Lots of great jeepers there and I am sure they would help you out in your search for that Wrangler. They have a local chapter in Springfield, MO.

Larry

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    It was written in my owners manual, and the dealer also gave me a sheet from DC that listed all the vehicles that have chain issues. It might have changed - I have a '98.

The problem is not in buying chains to fit the tires, the problem is the tires are wide enough that chains could cut your brake lines. There is not a great deal of room between the tire and the line. Until I really looked at it I thought the clearance problem was with the height, and that didn't make sense to me (and a little lift would have cured). Each year I think about getting dedicated snow tires, and each year I decide not to, since most of my winter commute is on warm highways that never see snow (only the first 10 miles is usually snowy).

stomper - you have some good suggestions, but I'm looking for something a bit smaller and definitely cheaper than those. I loved an old '76 3/4 ton Chevy pickup I used to have, but with my commute the gas mileage would kill me!
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    <<.. but I think you might be talking about 01r1's (Pete's) pics.

If you are talking about the beautiful mountain scenery, those are Pete's pics. He also has a white Jeep, >>>

Tsjay, Pete, my apologies to you both for the miscredit. (I'll get bigger magnifiers for those late viewings).
    Tsjay, I tried to dirct a friend to an old post of yours, # 6990, the one, I believe, that has (had) info on the Jeep build sheet. It seems to have evaporated. How did that happen? (No worry on the info, I went over to help him get the right info submitted to Chrysler)) Just curious.
    Likalar (Red '00 Sport)
    I found my original post about how to get the build sheet, and it is number 7207. I copied that post and included it in post #7795 also.

I couldn't find post #6990 either. What made ya think that was the number of my post about how to get a build sheet?

Tom

• shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    How about a MINI? When it rains you could park it under your TJ. :-)
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    My Lincoln LS lease is up in July (the LS is my second car :)) behind Pepe')

I was think about moving to a WRX. I especially like the 300 HP in the new STI version although it is pretty wild looking with the spoiler..

Anyone else here have experience with these little beasts?
  • earsears Member Posts: 20
    Twyle, tsjay, texasjeep & larry18, thanks for all the information!! I ran the build sheet:

Seats - Vinyl High-Back Bucket
    Convenience
    Group,Heavy Duty Electrical Group
    Monotone Paint
    Sport Decor Group
    4.0L Engine(ERH)/5Sp Man Trans(DDQ)
    Alternator - 117 Amp
    Battery - 600 Amp Maintenance Free
    Brakes - Power Front Disc/Rear Drum
    Seats - High Back Bucket
    Seats - Reclining Front
    Seat - Rear Folding
    Air Bags - Front, Next Generation**
    Air Bag On/Off Switch - Passenger
    Carpet - Front Seat Area
    Carpet- Rear Seat/Wheelhouse/Cargo
    Cargo Tie Down Loops
    Sport Bar - Rear w/Padding
    Console - Full Length Floor
    Transmissions - All Manual
    Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
    Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System
    Axle - Front, Dana 30/186MM
    Axle Ratio - 3.73
    Axle - Rear, Dana M35/194MM
    All Engines
    Engine - 4.0L Power Tech I-6
    Windshield Glass - Tinted
    Window - Front Door Plastic
    Doors - Half Metal with Locks
    Mirror - Left Manual
    Mirror - Right Manual
    Mirrors - Swing-Away
    All Vehicles W/O Power Mirrors
    Air Conditioning
    Instrument Cluster w/Tach
    Speedometer - 100 MPH Primary
    Windshield Wipers - Var Intermittent
    Lighter - Cigar
    Horns - Electric, Dual Note
    Power Outlet - Auxiliary 12V
    Glove Box - Locking
    STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR
    Warning Lamp - Shift Indicator
    Lamps - Courtesy
    Lamp - Underhood
    Headlamps - Halogen
    Lamp - Center Hi-Mount Stop
    Bumper - Front Painted
    Bumper - Rear Black
    Bumper Extensions
    Headlamp Bezels - Chrome
    Front Frame Overlay - Black
    Grille - Body Color
    Sport Bar - Side w/Padding
    Emissions - Federal
    EVAP Control System
    Fuel Tank - 19 Gallon w/Tethered Cap
    Stone White Clear Coat
    Stone White C/C
    All Radio Equipped Vehicles
    Radio - AM/FM
    Speakers - Two
    Antenna - Fixed
    Steering - Power Rack and Pinion
    Steering Wheel - Leather Wrapped
    Suspension - Normal Duty
    Stabilizer Bar - Front
    Stabilizer Bar - Front and Rear
    Steering Column - Tilt
    Spare Tire - Full Size
    Tire Carrier - Outside
    Tires - P225/75R15 OWL Wrangler AT
    Goodyear Brand Tires
    Spice Soft Top
    Wheels - 15 x 7.0 Full-Face Steel
    Wheel - Matching Spare
    Wheels - Steel
    Upgraded OBD-II Connectors
    Skid Plate Shield - Fuel Tank
    Skid Plate Shield - Transfer Case
    Fuel Filler Cap - Tethered
    Build To U S Market Specifications
    8 Additional Gallons Of Gas
    Spring - Left Rear
    Spring - Left Front
    Spring - Right Rear
    Spring - Right Front
    Payload Rating - 1800#

Sorry for making such a long post.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a link for you, Kelleyo:

Subaru Impreza WRX

Steve, Host

Twylie, you mentioned the Canyon wheels were not available until 2000 and the build sheet does not mention Canyon wheels. However the wheels that are on it are the same ones that tsjay has (had?) on his. Maybe they were purchased later.

Obviously the jeep does not have the Dana 44. The build sheet says it has a front painted bumper but the photo of it shows just a black bumper. The build sheet also indicates that it has springs on all four corners. Wow! J

Is the &#147;Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System&#148; a standard feature?

Texasjeep, thanks for the heads-up on Camp Jeep. Looks like I&#146;m a year behind. I&#146;ll keep an eye open for future years. It would be really nice to have one so close. Larry18, I&#146;ll definitely check out www.jeepthing.com.
    Tsjay, I believe you mentioned in a previous post that you take your top down in spring and leave it down until fall. Does that mean that you are taking it up and down depending on the weather (rain) or do you drive a different vehicle in inclement weather? What do you do when you get caught in a shower (especially considering you have no doors)?

Did you get the black wheels for off-roading puposes? How do the BFGs TA KOs work out (I have them on my truck and would be inclined to put them on a jeep).

Thanks in advance!
  • jthurlowjthurlow Member Posts: 21
    I also asked for a build sheet on my '99 Sport. While I ordered the jeep with a 3.07 axle ratio, this build sheet is the only docmentation I have received from Chrysler that it was built with the 3.07. (I did find "3.07" on the metal tag attached to the rear differential hump.)

You have two items that I also have. First, we both have "Upgraded OBD-II Connectors"; what are these? Second, there is an entry that the payload rating is 1800#. Is this towing capacity or overall max passenger & cargo weight?

Thanks,

J. Thurlow
    Here's a link to the '98 Sport I'm checking into:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y44B52003

Can someone please confirm that the wheels on it are the Canyon wheels?

Thanks!

eARS

Those wheels must have been put on later, if it has the Canyons like Thelma Jane had from the factory. Did you notice that the build sheet says that the wheels are 7"? The Canyons are 8" wheels. I would guess it had the "Grizzly" wheels on it originally.

As for my top, I have the hard top ONLY. It's a pain to take off an put back on, so I like to take it off and leave it off for the whole summer. I have a cover that fits over the whole Jeep, and I keep that with me when there's a chance of rain. Usually, though, I just drive my S-10 pickup when I think it might rain. I have a garage to keep Thelma Jane in and something else to drive, so it is not a big problem to leave her topless and doorless all summer.

If you happen to get caught in a big rain, it isn't a real good experience, but the Jeep will be OK. They dry out and are fine after getting pretty darn wet inside. You may experience some crazy stuff with electrical things until everything dries out, though. It's a good idea not to use your stereo after it has been wet and hasn't had a chance to dry out good.

Yes, the Command Track is the standard and only 4WD system available for the Wrangler. It is a part time system, which means it should NOT be engaged on dry, paved roads. Not in high or low range either one. Just leave it in two wheel drive on dry pavement.

The Dana 44 rear end would have been a great option, but if you don't plan on ever putting tires larger than 31" or maybe 32" or getting a locker, then you will probably be just fine with the Dana 35. If you are going to do some serious offroading, then you might want to hold out for a Jeep that has the D44. A lot of folks are wheelin' with the Dana 35 (but a lot of those folks carry spare axle shafts with them in case...).

jthurlow:

I THINK the 1800 lb pay load is the towing capacity, not the carrying capacity. Someone else better answer that one.

The OBD-II connectors are for the engine error codes (OBD = Onboard diagnostics).

I think that covers about all of the questions, and I hope others will add their opinions as well.

Tom

Yep, those puppies sure look like Canyons. Beautiful wheels, ain't they? Loved the looks of mine, but as much wheelin' as I do, I was ruining them on the trails. I sold them while they still looked pretty good. Got $300 for the five of them, and they ofen sell for more than that.

Tom

• likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    From Tom: <<..couldn't find post #6990 either. What made ya think that was the number of my post about how to get a build sheet?
    Tom>>

I have a Jeep brochure with "build sheet" in my writing at the top of the cover. At the bottom I had written "6990", but can't remember why. I had assumed they was related, so when I searched recently, there it wasn't. Now ya' know! LOL!
    Likalar
    Man, it's so good to have you back and posting again! Don't leave us this time.

Thanks for the info. I was just curious as to why you thought it was post 6990.

Tom

Oops! Forgot about your tire question.

I bought Thelma Jane a set of 31 x 10.50 BFG All Terrains while she still had her Canyon wheels. The All Terrains were great highway tires, and they were fair on the trails. They just don't do very well in mud, but on rocks and dry ground, they were fine.

I decided I wanted some mud tires, and I got a set of 31 x 10.50 BFG Mud Terrain T/A KMs. These tires are great on the trails, and I don't think I gave up anything as far as ride and handling on the highway compared to the All Terrains. They make some noise, but that doesn't bother me a bit, and they probably will have a somewhat shorter tread life. But, for the difference they make in the looks of the Jeep and their performance offroad, it was a very good trade-off! Heck, a Jeep just looks more "Jeepy" with mud tires on it. :)

I got the AR767 wheels at the same time I got the BFG Muds. The AR767s that I got are 8" wheels with 4" backspacing. You can't get much cheaper than AR767s: they usually sell for right at $40 each, without the center caps and chrome lug nuts, which don't add too much to the cost.

Tom

Thanks everyone for all the help.

I think I'll check out the '98 Sport this Saturday unless I get stuck working. I'll let you know how it goes.

eARS
  • stomper1stomper1 Member Posts: 10
    I hope everyone is staying dry!! Here in Phx it is raining lightly. The dogs still wanted to go for their morning walk though so we did.

I was surprised that I punctured the MT/R sidewalls to. The Goodyear shop is going to give me 1/2 off a new tire which is very nice of them. I am going to get the road hazzard warranty for all 5 tires ($17 each) so that I do not have to go through this again.

Mtngal - I had a '78 Power Wagon with full time 4wd and loved it, but the milage was horrible. Back then I did not worry about it though.

Take care all!!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    That looks like a nice Jeep. White is one of my favorite TJ colors. Just make sure that you can live with the half doors; I have a friend who is REALLY tired of them and is looking for full doors.
    The biggest problem getting caught topless and doorless in the rain comes from the back. A nice safari top can helps overhead, but the spray from behind can be a problem. Not only do you get wet, but you end up needing windshield wipers for the INSIDE of your windshield.

I'm going to try one of the "boots" to cover my soft top when I take the hard top off. Unfortunately, the previous owner never removed the soft top from the jeep, just left it in folded in place with the hard top on. So, depending on its condition, I may be looking at the safari top as well.

hello

hello

hello

hello

• boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Come to gill's and chat, if ya want to.

http://itsajeep.org

Click on chat on the home page at the top.

Tom

Guess we're all happy campers with our Wranglers.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I went over to Gil's site and registered as NWjeepster. The site seems very well designed, as in, easy to navigate. :-)

Stephen
    So, what's the interest in seeing a TJ with the same deisel(sp?) enginge going into the Liberty? I would love to see it for its fuel efficiency and I think that off-road it should work as well as a gas engine.

I know that there is a stong preference for the I6, but eventually it is going to be replaced.
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    Diesels are known for their Torque not necessarily revs and horsepower. Torque is exactly what you need the most of for offroading.

A Honda S2000 engine in Wrangler would be horrible for example. The HP is only available at high RPMS. You'd burn your clutch up off the line!

If Chrysler put out a Diesel 6 (inline or V) that had the same or more Torque than the 4.0 it would probably weigh less and get much greater mileage.

IMOP of course... :))
    Stephen:

Looked for ya in the chat room at Gill's tonight. Thought you might be back tonight.

Tom

A diesel would be a great idea. Economical over a long haul. I vaguely thought about the VW Jetta TDI for the Taco's replacement, but they don't have AWD. It would be nice if they were to come out with the diesel in the Wrangler when I'm interested in replacing my Noble Black Steed.
    Long day @ work and then I went out to eat right after..

I will try and make one though. :-)

Stephen
    The specific jeep I went to Tulsa to look at ('98 Sport) was not all I had hoped for. It drove well but did not appear to be well maintained. The driver&#146;s seat had a rip in it. The front passenger seat had a large stain. There were a few spots of rust bubbling up (such as on the hinge for the tire carrier). The black fender flares were not even close to black… terribly oxidized. The interior dash was also oxidized. It also had kind of a stale odor. Overall it was kind of dirty and dingy.

After passing that one up, I checked out another that I had also found on AutoTrader.com (also located in Tulsa). The AutoTrader ad did not mention A/C for this one so I assumed that it wouldn't have it. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it did. I checked this jeep out and it was great! It had everything on my wish list. It was my exact color preference (white with a black top), was in great condition and had only 20K miles. I fell in love with it and bought it.

It&#146;s a 5-speed sport with a soft top and half doors (I know, I know, but that&#146;s what I wanted). It has a/c, tilt, fog lights, cloth seats, CD, and sound bar. The wheels and tires are great! The wheels are Eagle alloys (058) and the tires are BFG TA KOs, (31 X 10.5). These are the same wheels and tires I recently put on my pickup! It was destiny.

It also came with a couple of extras… a trailer hitch (used twice to pull a Seadoo), a Jeep brand bikini top and a Jeep brand deck cover.

I love this Jeep! I drove it home going about 70 most of the way without any problems.

Oh, I need to mention… just after we left the lot, within about a block, we crossed paths with another jeep and got the &#145;wave&#146;. My daughter thought it was cool. We were immediately part of the jeep group. The timing for this first wave couldn't have been better.

Just one question so far: The center console is locked and won&#146;t open with the key. We only got one key so far. They are going to send us the other(s). Is the ignition key supposed to work in the console? It doesn&#146;t appear to be seating completely down into to keyhole.

Thanks everyone for providing such valuable information on this forum… it really helped!

CONGRATULATIONS

Yeeeeeeehawwwwww!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO!!!!!

What year? Dana 44?

Pics! Need pics!

I am so happy for ya, Alan!

Tom

Those console latches are notorious for messing up. Mine is a bear to open most of the time. The button just doesn't want to push down.

If the key slot is parallel with the console's length, then it is already unlocked. You will just have to push down REAL hard on the button. But, don't go crazy until you are sure it is really unlocked. You didn't say what year the Jeep is, but on my 01, the same key for the ignition does it all... console, doors, tail gate.

Man, Alan, I am SO HAPPY FOR YA! When ya gona come wheel with me???

Tom

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    WTG!

tidester, host
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Way to go!!! Guess it was meant to be for you to drive a Jeep. Was this one also a 98?

I have never locked my console, but I only got the one key for ignition and doors. I figure that one has to be for the console also.

Glad you got the wave already.

Big question now, what is going to be your first modification that you add.

Enjoy your new vehicle, they are fun. Hope your daughter continues to think the Jeep is cool.

Still a happy camper.

Tidester, didn't intend to copy your "WTG", but I refuse to change my message:) Your post was a bit quicker than mine.
    This one is a &#146;99. It was purchased originally in July of &#146;99, so it&#146;s about 2 and a half years old. I don't know if it has the Dana 44. I guesing that is does not. I've requested a build sheet.

I don&#146;t know what my first mod will be. I forgot to mention that it already has Westin nerf step bars. Maybe a new exhaust with a Flow Master??? Maybe I&#146;ll buy some of those grab handles.

The key slot is perpendicular to the length of the console so apparently it&#146;s in the lock position. The key does not go all the way down into the slot, only about ¾ of the way in. I&#146;m wondering if something is stuck down inside the slot preventing the key from going in. Do you think a locksmith can fix it?
    I would think a locksmith could fix it for ya. Maybe 99's had a different key for the console, or maybe you don't have the factory console.

Some folks replace the factory console for something more secure. Was the Jeep purchased from an individual or from a dealer? Try to contact the previous owner and ask about a key.

Just reread your original post, and you said you drove it off the lot, so that must mean ya bought it at a dealer. They may have a key that they didn't give you, or the previous owner might have one.

Now go to bed so you can get up early and chat with me at Gills and tell me more about this Jeep!

:)

Tom

Do you mean it was purchased in July of 2000? If it was July of 99, it would be three and a half years old. But who's counting? :)

Hey that is practically a new Jeep, if it has only 20K miles on it! Thelma Jane now has 26 K on her, and she's an 01.

Tom

Stephen:

Just saw your pics of the new Jeep in the gallery here. NICE JEEP! That baby is a beauty.

You are new to Jeeps, so I hope you don't mind a suggestion? Don't put that shiny stuff on the tires: you will embarrass your Jeep. :) It ain't macho. Maybe the dealer did that?

Congratulations, once again!

Tom

You're correct, tsjay, she's 3 and half years old. It was late and my math was fuzzy. That's an average of 5,700 miles per year.

eARS
    I must be a good Jeep owner and didn't even know it! The dealer actually did the shiny wheel thingie. My first thought was how twisted that was to do on a Jeep. Yay...I past my first test! :-)

Stephen
    Whew! You had me worried! Glad you agree that a Jeep ain't supposed to have shiny tires!

I SPECIFICALLY told my dealer that when Thelma Jane came in and they did the dealer prep, NOT to put shiny stuff on the tires. I also said no armor all on the flares.

Hey, how's this for a possible name for your Jeep: StephenWolf? Could just call him Wolf for short. Well, it's the best I can do for now. :)

Tom

• tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    I just did the 30k mile maintenance on my '01 Sport and can't believe the difference fresh sparkplugs made! I thought it ran OK before but now,wow! I won't wait another 30K before I change them again. I went with original style Champions but next time I'll probably try another type. The plugs I removed did'nt look abnormal but were obviously past their prime. By the way, a little lubrication might help a sticky console latch, as well as hood and door hinges and locks. Wheel it or buy a minivan!
    TJRay
  • jeep_boyjeep_boy Member Posts: 9
    My Wrangler is also a 99. I had problems with that lock when I first got it but figured it out, Maybe this will help you. The key does only go about half way down. Just put the key in as far as it goes, then WITHOUT trying to push it any farther, just turn the key. I hope this helps.
    Poor old Gilly had a major crash again, and all the pics and posts are gone. He has worked all day restoring things and has the chat room up and running again. That is all that is working right now, though.

We will need to upload our pics again, once Gilly has the gallery working.

I know it's agravating, but it's just a minor inconvenience for us. It's HOURS of work for Gilly.

Tom

If the home page at Gill's won't open for you, you can come to the chat room via the following link:

http://itsajeep.org/digichat/chatsigned.html

Tom

Jeep Boy, I tried your technique on my console and it worked. Thanks! It still took several attempts, but I apparently got things lined up finally and it click and then rotated. It helped just knowing the key wasn&#146;t supposed to go all the way in. You saved me from going to a locksmith.

eARS