Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 Tires

Comments

• dano4dano4 Member Posts: 35
    I appreciate your post as I have the same problem on my 2007 M35x with Goodyear RSA's. It does not happen often, but is disconcerting. Problem seems to occur on well worn roadways with longitudinal wear grooves. When it's time, I will replace with different tires.
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Just an update on my Potenzas. I have 12 months remaining on my lease, 14.7K on my Potenzas and LOTS of tread left to get me to lease's end. I keep my tires at 38 psi cold. I also have a ding/dent/tire warranty that cost me $600 through the course of the lease and it will replace all four tires at no charge if the tread's too thin; at $400/tire I'm ahead of the game.

With respect to gas mileage, I was typically getting 16.5 mpg until 10K miles and am now getting 18.5 running the same local daily routes. Bart :shades:
  • rgnjrgnj Member Posts: 3
    Interesting I just purchased a 07 M35X ... From day one as I would travel back and forth to work on the hiway, I would encounted portions of the road that had ruts or wear groves. The car would abruptly go in another direction left or right, Usually Right. It was a little scary the first few times. Just last week I was involved in an accident where I had hit road debris dropped from a passenger bus in front of me. They were transmisson parts. The autobody shop recomended that since I destroyed all 4 tires that I change over to the Toyo versado a much better tire made for my car. I am looking to see if this corrects the tracking problem too

Ron Souith Jersey
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    Interesting that the dealer recommended a different tire from the ones that came from the factory. Your control issue seems odd to me, but I don't have an "X" so can't opine. I've been very happy with my Potenza's ... and haven't read anything here to suggest that others are having issues with them. At $400 per, if I had to replace all four I'd look for a less expensive but equally speed-rated tire. I drive so little (7K per year) that I don't think I'd notice much of a difference. That said MANY years ago I switched from Goodyears to Bridgestones on my Fleetwood and it did make a world of difference. In those days, however, I drove > 25K/ year much of which was hiway. Bart :shades:
  • rgnjrgnj Member Posts: 3
    It wasn't the dealer.. I took my car to an independant Auto Repair that I have know for many years. It was their tire distributor that recomended taking the Goodyear off the car.. I did and repleced them with the Toyo's... Amazing difference and ride
  • badboymiabadboymia Member Posts: 6
    There must be an Alignment problem with the car, I would get the alignment checked, in some cases if it was the tries, after recently pruchasing the car, then it would be the potenza tires that are on there, but its a common complaint! I would def get the alignment checked @ the Infiniti Dealership. I ve had my M35 for 2 months with the same potenza tires and notice a very mild left pull but again that is cause of the tires, had the alignment checked no problems. It should go away after the tires get broken in maybe after 300 miles, that is when my pull went away!
  • badboymiabadboymia Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I have the same tires, on am M35 sport I live in South Florida and drive in the city the majority of the time and I only get 13.4 mpg on a tanks of gas. As for the tires, I ve only had it for 3 months, and have not notices any tire wear as yet. These are low profile tires and are subject to quick wear due to heat, and driving intensity. Do you tend to pull off hard, accelerate, or stop where you have to depress the brake peddle with force? These can be issues, I would also get the alingment checked at a respect dealer, maybe the Infititi dealer, and then maybe at a Tire Kingdom and see what they say. I really like the car as well great performance comfort, and gets the ladies attentions, they always ask me to take them for a ride! LOL!
  • cbrunzcbrunz Member Posts: 1
    Any reason these cant be put on my 2006 M35 Sport? I realize they arent as good as the stock tires, or many others out there, but for about 1/3 of the cost, Im definitely considering them

FYI - not a safety issue, I live in FL, so no snow or ice to deal with, and I only drive about 500 miles per month

thx
  • bgiannantoniobgiannantonio Member Posts: 15
    After rotating my tires at 7k miles my TPMS gave me a no readout. The owners manual states you must drive the car for 10 minutes at a speed of 25 miles per hour or greater. After a continuos 10 minutes of driving they will reset the blank reading with the actual tire pressure readings. This did work for me.
  • james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    What model year is the car? At least on my 2007, the dealer must reset them to work at different wheels. He said that most of the other models didn't work that way, and would sync themselves, but mine did not until the dealer reset them.
  • rlejr66rlejr66 Member Posts: 44
    Hey M owners, anyone of you outfitted your M with Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires? If so, what do you think? I have almost 20K on my original Bridgestones and am looking at replacing them soon. From what I can tell, the Dunlops appear to be popular, with a better treadlife rating, and better temperature grade than the Bridgestones. Of course I am most concerned about the ride and the noise. I can deal with shorter lifespan. Opinions?
  • bgiannantoniobgiannantonio Member Posts: 15
    the car is a 2007 read the manual it states you must drive the car for 10 minutes straight no interuption over 25 miles per hour
    My commute is over that, and they never reset...the dealer said they needed to do it. The G's would automatically sync, but in 2006, the M would not. They may have changed it in 2007.
  • max929max929 Member Posts: 16
    I've had my 2007 M35x in for service a couple times and after each tire rotation, the TPMS didnt show a reading, however they did resync automatically. One time it took about a day the last one took about 3 days, but it eventually worked again.

Max
  • aseetaseet Member Posts: 8
    i think i am noticing this on my 2 year old 06 with 21k miles on it (original equip tires - non sport model). will infiniti prorate tires for a replacement?
  • grer58grer58 Member Posts: 3
    I have found that a long drive of about 30 miles re sets it every time. I've had the tires rotated or even pulled for a flat and lost the reading. The dealer knows less than us, so take that long drive and fix it urself......
  • belanbelan Member Posts: 1
    I would like to find good replacement tires for my 2006 Infiniti M 35, rear wheel drive luxury sedan.
    I am not happy with the original equipment Good Year Eagle RS-A tires.
    Looking for 245/45 18" VR All-Season tires, with good noise and ride comfort, acceptable dry-wet-snow traction (I am in Toronto, Ontario).
    Would you please recommend your top choices, here are some of the tires I am thinking about:
    1.) Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 AS Pole Position
    2.) Toyo Versado LX
    3.) Yokohama Advan S4
    4.) Falken Ziex ZE-912
    5.) Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S
    6.) Yokohama Avid W 4S
    Thanks for your help.
  • bobicgbobicg Member Posts: 15
    Check out Michelin Primacy, 60,000 mile tread life and tread wear rating of 600. I am going to put these on my 06 M35X in 2 weeks. I have 3/32 left on the Goodyears after 31,000 miles and they have been rotated every 7500 miles. The Michelins should be about $205 per tire.
    While they aren't very big in the US, have you looked at some of the Nokian tires? They've got a fairly new one that has a 50K mile warranty on the V-rated tire. I've had some of their snowtires, but never their all-season. The local dealer really likes them, though. They were new last year or so, and probably have more sizes available now. their snows handle nearly as well as the all-seasons on the car, and I think were actually quieter.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    I just replaced the so-so Bridgestone Turanza EL42s on my '05 Acura TL with the Toyo Versados. My dealer highly recommended them. After 2k miles, a much quieter and smoother ride. It's been rather dry, so not a lot of wet experience yet and I'm hoping that they are significantly better in the snow than the Turanzas (bad, bad tire in the snow).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• dulfelderdulfelder Member Posts: 10
    The Potenzas are Tire Rack's top rated all season tire. I have the same 2006 M w/ all wheel drive. I just replaced the original Good Years at 17.5 K with ContiExtremeContacts at $139 per tire. Tire Rack rates these as around the 5th best of 15 all season options at the 245/45/18 size. I wanted a quieter ride and drive mainly in MA and NH so snow/ice performance was important. These tires are back ordered at Tire Rack but I found them in Exeter, NH at the Tire Warehouse. The service was great and I bought the warranty plan (cheap) that includes unlimited nitrogen fills as well as free rotations. Another highly rated tire is the Avon Tech. I figured why spend $175 to $250 per tire if I can get excellent ones for under $150. I have two young kids so safety is very important. Best of luck. Can't do worse than the OEM Good Years.
  • mmoreno1978mmoreno1978 Member Posts: 106
    I also purchased the same ContiExtremeContacts and am VERY impressed. They are ranked third now on Tirerack. They were actually on back order until middle November, so my local tire dealer had them in within 2 hours of me ordering them. I considered the Bridgestones and the Yokohama's, but loved the price and reviews on the Continentals.

I hated the GoodYears as well.

I must say, the Continentals look fantastic! Ive actually had people compliment the tires while complimenting the car.

The tires are very quiet, handle perfect in the rain. I used to be nervous driving my M35x in the rain. I would have C-Classes passing me on the turnpike. I feel much more secure with these tires. AMAZING!! AMAZING!! AMAZING!!
  • ewl88ewl88 Member Posts: 76
    I have 21,000 miles on my 2006 M35X. Had an unpleasant surprise on my "routine" oil and filter change. Dealer noted that my front tires were worn out esp on outside of OEM goodyears. (yes, they do look excessively worn) They blamed the alignment and recommended replacement of front tires.
    Two tires plus alignment will cost $700 or so. I'm leasing so not really interested in changing all four tires to a better tire if it's going to cost me more (seems like the goodyears aren't particularly well liked or rated based on this board!)
    Any recommendations other than replacing the two front ones with the same goodyears? Should I be suprised on this wear on my tires? Anyone have problems with using outside places to align the m35x? I remember there were some issues 2 years ago when my M was wrecked and there were no specs on the M then. Thanks for comments.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    "Two tires plus alignment will cost $700 or so. . ."

On what planet? These aren't run-flats, are they? The best high performance tires cost ~$200-250 where I live, and significantly less if you shop around.

Go to Tire Rack. Insert your car model & year and/or your tire size. Enjoy. I don't think you're going to see any $300 tires.

I could be wrong.

Get back to us.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    A good 4-wheel alignment often costs in the $200 range (my dealer gets $189), so with the high-end for the tires and that plus balancing, etc. At the labor rates for most dealers, that's probably 'normal'.

I will say that when all four tires aren't very close to the same diameter (don't remember the spec) on an all-wheel drive car, it will create some big problems with the computer sensing variations in rotation rates, and activating the all-wheel function. It can also mess with the anti-locking brakes. It is often better to replace all 4.
  • dulfelderdulfelder Member Posts: 10
    Hey mmoreno. Glad you like the conti extreme contact tires as well for your M. I've only had mine for around 400 miles but am pleased they are sticky and much quieter than the OEM Goodyears. Do you drive in snow and/or ice? dulfelder
    Here is exact tire rack quote:

245/45VR18 Goodyear Eagle RS-A
    Blackwall In Stock 2 $261.00 $522.00

This is the OEM ones (there may be better or much better ones but I don't need to return my m35x to the dealer in 1 year with better tires than it came with.\!
    So $522 for the tires, $100 for alignment (dealer), plus labor = $700 if I'm lucky.
    I can live with cost but thought my low mileage and usually nonaggressive driving would have minimized the wear and tear on the tires. Is the M prone to alignment issues? Plus the car was aligned by the dealer 1 year ago and tires were rotated by the dealer on schedule. The roads in central jersey aren't great but probably not the worst out there either.
    If I keep them all OEM Goodyears, doesn't that keep them same diameter? I'm reluctant to hand the dealer more than $1000 when I have the car for only 10 more months.
    No, measure the tread depth on the old ones, and the tread depth on the new ones, and see how much off they are. See if you can find out the spec for that for this car. If I remember, on an Audi quatro, the limit was around 1/8", so if the tires weren't fairly new and you needed to replace one, it really ended up being 4 instead. Most all-wheel drive vehicles are similar.
    Ok. I think the dealer mechanic said the back ones were fine. I guess that's the good news: only 2 tires to replace as opposed to 4.
  • golfgod2golfgod2 Member Posts: 53
    I have an m35 non-sport with the all season goodyear RSA's. I live in Southern California and not sure if I need all season's or summer performance tires. Here is what I am looking for in order of priority: 1) lower price 2) tread life 3) handling/performance 4) quiet ride. Seems like a tier 2 brand summer tire would be the way to but concerned about tread life. I'd like any suggestions you have about all season vs. non all season and specific tire recommendations. thanks in advance for your help!
    Summer tires start to get bad at around 40-degrees. Colder temps and they just get too hard, and can be almost like driving on slicks. Summer tires are also often a little more performance oriented, and thus the wear and ride probably won't be as good. Quiet, hard to tell.

If you ever drive up into the mountains, or cross over to say Vegas when it can be cold in the higher parts, you'd be better off with an all-season in my opinion.
  • golfgod2golfgod2 Member Posts: 53
    sounds like good advice. so i think i'm looking for good handling (performance skew) reasonably priced all-season tires.
  • bobicgbobicg Member Posts: 15
    Put Michelin Primacy's on my 06 M35x about 3 weeks ago. After 1000 miles these seem to be a very good fit for this car. They are quite, handle well (I drive relatively aggressively), great in heavy rain and I will report on snow shortly since I live in the Chicago area and drive the midwest.

Paid $1100 for 4 tires, 4 wheel alignment and 2 year road hazard from the dealer.

The OEM Goodyear RSAs lasted 33k miles (2/32) doing 7.5k rotation. For the last 10k miles they were terrible.
  • turley99turley99 Member Posts: 3
    With 22,000 miles on my M35x, I got rid of the OEM Eagle RS-As and replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 a/s. With 1,000 miles on them, they are an impressive replacement. Softer ride with dramatically better cornering ability. Much quieter and vastly superior handling and braking in wet and snow conditions. I have never had a better set of tires on any car I have owned (BMW 530, 740, X5 4.6i.....).
  • tsoltsol Member Posts: 40
    I agree with turley re. the RE 960s ... mostly. I replaced my RS-As a few months ago with the 960 as one of my favorite tires ever was the Potenza RE940. The 960s did not disappoint. They are much more damped and quiet over rough roads, expansion joints, etc. and do not have side-wall-rollover in hard cornering like the RS-A.

That said, they do have a serious flat-spotting problem in cold weather, and I'm talking 50 degree temps, hate to think what sub freezing will be like. My commute is 12 miles one way, and for 10 miles the tires thrummed pretty bad ... it gets better after about 10 minutes so if you commute a high speeds for the typical 30-60 minute commute, brobably not a real problem.

I just traded my early '06 for a close-out '07 (both M35x) and the new RS-As reminded me how rough they are, but they don't flat-spot and I don't miss that "feature" of the 960s. But, I still went back yesterday to see if I could get my 960s back!
  • dark_katanadark_katana Member Posts: 46
    Wow, another complaint about flat spotting on the 960s! Somebody else had the same complaint over at Tire Rack.

Starting to lean more toward the Yokohama ADVAN S.4 as immediate swapouts for the horrific Goodyear Eagle RSAs on the M45X.

My commute isn't long enough for the Potenzas to warm up.
  • wise_henrywise_henry Member Posts: 2
    I thought that I was crazy but I experience the exact same thing in my 07 M35x. My vehicle is less then three months old and I noticed it about a month in when I really started to evaluate the ride. If I am on a good piece of road, everything is great. If there are slight, and I mean slight, non-visible, road grooves or imperfections in the road, it can get a touch scary.

Changing lanes can be an adventure. It seems that the grooves in the road just snatch the car over. It can be so pronounced that sometimes when changing lanes, I just grip the wheel and hold on because the car seems to be driving itself.

Straight line driving can also be a challenge depending upon the road. If it is a smooth surface, it is a pure joy to drive. If there are imperfections in the road, the car tends to want to go where the road directs it, which is usually too close to another vehicle, and not where I want the vehicle to go. So I get into this battle with the road. I can feel the road pull the car in one direction and I am trying to steer in the opposite direction to compensate. This is just not what I want to do driving at high or low speeds and like you, I have not experienced problem, to this degree, in any other vehicle that I have owned.

Since you e-mail confirms that this is not my imagination, I am anxious to get this corrected. Everything else about the car is just about perfect but this handling problem ruins the driving experience for me. What I read seems to point towards tires but before I do anything, I want to be sure. Please post what you discover and I will do the same.

Mykal56
  • tsoltsol Member Posts: 40
    well, you're not dreaming and from what I've read, and been told, many cars with very tight turning circles (the M35 is close to 36') tend to be twitchy on the road. Tires may help as the RE960s I put on my '06 were less twitchy than the stock RS-As are. I doubt it's going to go away completely.

I have to look at it this way ... every car I've ever owned has been a compromise in one way or the other. I'd love for the M35x to have the road-feel and feedback in the steering wheel of an early 90's BMW or the dead-on-center feel of my Audi A6 4.2 (actually sort of numb-on-center) but it just doesn't. As imperfect as it is, the M35 has too many positives and they outweigh the negatives, IMHO. Having driven German cars for over 20 years I have to say that Infiniti is not quite there yet, but close enough, and given the current aesthetic appeal (well '06-07' anyway), reliability and ergonomics they are hard to beat. As they say ... YMMV.
  • barryendbarryend Member Posts: 121
    I have the same problem. The dealer is changing the steering rack. Then the 28,000 mile RSA's go. The G35 loaner is sweet. No steering problems. Be back next week the my report.
    The dealer replaced my steering rack. I drove to the NYC theater district in the rain which is over 20 miles. The steering is greatly improved. It no longer deflects with road surface irregularities. Anyone with M35X steering problems should visit the dealer ASAP.
    RECALL???????

2006 M35X loaded, Nav, 15 speakers, a/c seats. 28,000 mi. Goodyear RSA OEM-next to go.
  • obab905obab905 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 07' M35x that is less than one(1) month old and its doing the same thing. My car goes in on Monday... I'm curious, did the dealer you went to admit that they were seeing this problem often or that yours was an isolated case? I'm from NY as well and I think I know your dealer... How's the car been acting since the new rack was installed.

2007 M35X DG w/CHARCOAL , TECH & AERO PACKAGE--500 miles
    2006 M35X 2 yrs. old 28,000 mi. When I first complained a year ago the dealer said that is because the car is designed for great handling. The problem got worse and it became hard to control car. Pepe was glad to replace the steering rack by 27,000 mi. Immediate steering improvement. Goodyear RS-A's are also considered to cause the problem. I just put on Continental Conti Extremes from Mavistire on line price. 135.00 ea. Softer dampened ride. More cleat for snow. Driving to VT tonight. Let's see the difference. Many boards have postings about this problem. RECALL!
    RECALL!
    The dealer replaced my steering rack. That's the cure.
    New tires afterward helped the ride. I got Conti Extreme from mavistire. On line oder and install at their store. Tire Rack has same price $135 each.
    Steering rack replacement included alignment under warranty.
  • obab905obab905 Member Posts: 7
    Thanx for the info. My car goes to Pepe on Monday... now I have some backup goin in... The service manager told me over the phone that there are no "Known issues" with this particular problem...evidently he was not the service writer that logged you in..... It's ashame, the car is great but this gives me a bad feeling about this car. My wife has an 07 G35x which she loves and she won't let me drive... she won't drive my car because of the tracking problem. I've always had Nissans/Infiniti's and never experienced a problem like this one. I should have done my homework better on this car before the purchase.

I hope this can be resolved.
    I had a G35X loaner for 3-days. Incredible.

Ryan (?) was my service rep. The new guy there.

Pepe only makes money on warranty work.

Best results if you go there and they test drive.

Potential recall IMHO.
    Any problems email my name at AOL dot com.
  • arnold14arnold14 Member Posts: 22
    I just bought a 2006 M35 with 63,000 miles and the steering wheel shakes when braking at over 60mph. Does anyone else have this problem? I have an extended warranty to 100,000 miles so I might have to use it.

Also,the ride is rough for a luxury car because of the 18" wheels and low profile tires. Has anyone tried putting 15" or 16" wheels and higher profile tires on the M35 to give it a softer ride over the bumps?
    Does your warranty cover brake parts like rotors? M35X rides rough. What tires do your have? OEM Goodyears RS-A's were rougher than the Conti Extremes I just put on at 28,000 mi.
    Only selling M35X's in NY. Only M45s are rear wheel.
    See reviews on tirerack.com