Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    ears - Congrats on the new Wrangler - sounds like a nice rig, and as long as you are happy with it, you got a good deal.

barresa62 - Your new Wrangler makes my Noble Black Steed look like a poor country cousin. Mine needs a bath in the worst sort of way, but I haven't been feeling well, so the only thing I did this weekend was drive the closest easy trail to a pretty area to walk the dog. The car wash will have to wait for another weekend...
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    Happy New Year, everyone! Saturday, I took my red Wrangler up an old road in Guernville, CA (75 miles from home) to see the view-great road! (narrow, twisty, loose, and slow-perfect!) Uphill all the way. After 7 miles of real desolation, I came to a locked gate, so turned around to go back down the hill. After 5 minutes going downhill (mostly in 2nd), the check engine light came on. Then it bucked, so I shifted to neutral, and it sputtered and died. I restarted it and continued another 100 feet and it died again. After that, I could restart it, but it would run real roughly, then die quickly. Plenty of fresh gas, recent service, etc, so I did what came natural-I coasted down the next few miles till I came to the several cabins at the bottom of the road. Boy, the brakes and steering are heavy! At the bottom, I opened the hood, and found that the oil filler cap (on the valve cover) was missing. Strange, as I hadn't added any oil in several weeks since the dealer service, so I figured it was maybe stolen, but where? when? Thinking the missing cap caused a computer/poor vacuum glitch, I fashioned a snug "stopper" out of paper towel and a soda can. No help, It still ran for just a few seconds. A woman in a cabin let me use her phone to call the Jeep help Hotline. No answer! So, I called AAA. The truck towed it to Santa Rosa Chrysler dealer 28 miles away (that cost 144.00). Of course, the parts and service shops are closed on Saturday, so I rented a car at the Toyota dealership to go home to SF, where I was way late for dinner. Luckily, I sold the frying pans years ago.... On Monday, awhile after the shop opens, I'll maybe get some answers. Hopefully, a new cap and some computer wizardry will make it good as new. I'll let you know.
    Larry (00' Red Sport)
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Hope all is well! It hurts to see a Jeep in the shop!

What's Bucking?
  • smedcougarsmedcougar Member Posts: 27
    Sorry it's been so long but things have been rough with work, school and all. I've been feelin' kinda tired lately so I think I'm gonna get a thorough physical and get some bloodwork done to be sure that I haven't run myself down with the long hours.

CONGRATS EARS!!! The age of the Jeep doesn't matter it's still your new baby :) Enjoy and happy wheelin....oh yeah...has tomster hit you up for a wheelin buddy yet? ;) He desperately wants somebody to go wheeeeeeelin with him :)

Hope you all had a safe and happy holiday season...you'll be gettin' closer to one of the most important holidays for Jeepsters....wait a minute....never mind any day is a holiday for a Jeepster :)

Have a great week!

Hug your Jeeps for me ;)

smedcougar
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Man, that's a bummer! I hope they find the problem and get it fixed and that it doesn't cost ya an arm and a leg.

You really need to find a Jeep buddy to go with you on your excursions. Another person in another vehicle can come in handy! In your case this time, it may not have mattered, but in other situations, it really could.

I hope you didn't use up too much of your brake pads and shoes on the way down. Man, I would hate to have to go down steep grades with no engine braking to help.

I'm gonna guess some engine sensor went bad on ya. Maybe the O2 sensor or something. I'm no mechanic. I've seen lots of posts on other boards where people talk about the Throttle Position Sensor often going bad, and some people carry a spare.

Please let us know what it turns out to be. It might benefit the rest of us to know.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome back! I think you need to spend a little more time visiting here - you're obviously working too hard and NEED a break! :-)

tidester, host
    Deb - I was just thinking about you, and thought I would send a "hi" your way, but you beat me to it. What is this - not feeling well is catching? Get checked out, but remember, as you get older you can't do as much as you used to! Late hours are now totally out for me!

likalar - What's the update? It sounds like a really weird thing to have happen. And while Tom's idea of 'wheeling with someone is by far the best idea, it isn't always possible. We often 'wheel alone, though not difficult stuff. We finally got a cell phone to travel with, so I feel much more comfortable heading off into the great unknown. So far the worst thing that has happened to me is a flat tire, a good 20 or more miles from civilization.

Everyone, take care out there!
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Mtngal and anybody else. Those cell phones are a great thing to carry along. But my sister found out about their limited coverage when she broke a fan belt on her Jeep in the Arizona desert. Boy was she unhappy when she got no signal.

Her husband sent the SAR out but they didn't locate them until after dark. By then she and her friend were spooked and hid from their rescuers for a bit. You'd have to know my sister.

Anyway, those phones don't always work in the middle of nowhere.

Gary
    From Mntngal:<<...What's the update? We finally got a cell phone to travel with, So far the worst thing that has happened to me is a flat tire, a good 20 or more miles from civilization.>>

My cell phone was useless Saturday. Remember the ads with the guy walking in the desert, asking: "can you hear me now? Goooood!" Wellll, of course, no one could hear him, and that made him happy. He went to the desert to get away from people, right? LOL!
    I once rode in a Saab down the coast. The turbo hose loosened; and it just sucked air, screwed up the computer, and just plain died. Reach for the Onstar button. Whoops, no service! Oh, well.
    Update: Early this am, the dealership called twice (two different callers) to say they have the car, and will call when they know something. Uh-oh! Thanks for the tips, Tom.
    Bored: By "bucking" I meant "lurching"
    Afterthought: despite cell phones, GPS, onstar, etc, there's just no substitute for plain old readiness. That means the skills, talent, spares and equipment to get you home. Am I ready now? No; I used to be when I was younger, and had all the right gear. Now I have the useless cell phone, and the credit card, AAA, but that's why my trips are a bit less challenging then they used to be. All in all, the sights are just as wonderful as ever, and I have no complaints. I'll be a lot happier when I get the Jeep back though. I'm really over this Toyota thing. Haha!
    Larry
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Not to worry...the "Wolf" (thanks Tom, I kind of like it) is beginning to need a bath w/all the rain we got this weekend.

I actually had to take the hardtop off briefly in order to get the softop out. Getting the hardtop undone is the easy part, but definitely a two person job to lift off w/o a winch of some sort. Now I can't wait for summer so that I can take it off and leave that way for a couple of months! BTW, I opened up the box & looked at the softtop side windows. They are tinted dark like the side windows on the hardtop. That was a pleasant surprise. :-)

Oh, I do have a question. I noticed that some hardtops have the vertical vents just behind the side windows on the rear quarter. Mine doesn't have this. Is this something that changed on the factory hardtops for 03'?

Stephen
  • jeep_boyjeep_boy Member Posts: 9
    The tops did change in 2003. Instead of having the vertical vents on the top, they put vents in the tailgate.
    Now that you mention it, I remember seeing vents in the tailgate. :-) Good, now I can put my conspiracy theories like "Maybe the dealership gave me an aftermarket hardtop & passed it off as part of the Dualtop option"! Best to reign in my imagination sooner rather than later, LOL.

No longer trustless in Seattle,
    Stephen
  • dopleedoplee Member Posts: 16
    Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a book to buy on maintaining a Jeep Wrangler (I have a 2000 model). I'm looking for a book that will show me how to do oil changes, tune ups and troubleshooting. I searched Amazon.com but Chilton's don't have one for 2000 models, which I found very odd. I saw 2 other books but they got poor reviews. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    You can get something MUCH better than Chiltons or Haynes: you can get a Factory Service Manual. This is the same manual that goes to the service departments at the dealerships.

Go to this site.

http://www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com/

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You could also take a look at:

www.alldatadiy.com

$25 gives you the the FSM and more for a year, $15 thereafter. It's all downloadable so you can either store it, or print out the pages you need for a particular job.
    Gilly worked hard all day and into the night yesterday to rebuild itsajeep. Everything is working now, so come on back.

If you have trouble opening the home page, then try using Internet Explorer. I have AOL, and I can't get the home page to open going through the AOL environment. I was able to get in by using IE, though.

Let's get our pics reloaded! Let's do some chatting!

http://itsajeep.org

Tom

I was actually surprised that I get decent coverage at my home - from all the maps I'm kind of on the edge of things. Also, I was surprised that I got a signal at all - I'm in kind of a valley (wider than a canyon, but otherwise not wide at all) that was created by the San Andreas Fault, and I used to have an office pager that didn't work here. So I do understand about cell phones not working in remote places.

That's one of the reasons I wasn't interested in the early GPS/map programs. Many of them didn't cover the roads that I wanted to travel on at all, whereas the SoCal AAA County maps cover many of them (tip for Larry if you are down this way).

barresa62 - Glad that Wolf is now starting to look more like he should.
  • 5speedsport5speedsport Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a wrnagler sport. I test drove an '03 sport with the ECCO wheels pkg and one with the CANYON pkg. The ECCO pkg seemed to give a smoother ride on-road. I will be doing some off-roading, but most of my driving will be on-road. I am debating whether to go with the ECCO or CANYON wheels, which I really like the looks of. This will be my first Jeep. Any input is appreciated.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Yesterday was Red Ryders 3rd birthday. He got an extended warranty for his. Today is my 64th, I wish I could get one.

Terry
    LOL! My guess is that by owning a Wrangler you have (by default) an extended warranty on your 64 years young age. :-)

Stephen
    Don't you know that the minute you buy a Wrangler they automatically change your birth certificate. You either automatically go back to 35 or, if below, you never reach 35 as long as you own the vehicle.
    Exactly!! :-)

Stephen

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TERRY!

(And a belated Happy Birthday to Red)

Tom

CANYONs! :)

They are beautiful wheels, and if you ever decide to sell them for some after market wheels, they will bring a good price. I sold the five of mine for $300, and that was a very low price compared to what they usually sell for. Check out ebay sometime, and see what people are bidding on those puppies.

It's not the wheel, of course, that determines the ride quality. You get gas shocks, I believe, with the Canyon wheel package, and these give a stiffer ride.

Go for the Canyons!

Welcome to this board! Make yourself at home here and post often.

Please keep us updated on your quest for a Jeep. You will LOVE having a Jeep! They are tons of fun, even more than you can possibly imagine.

Hey, a really good option to get is the Dana 44 rear end. It is much beefier than the standard Dana 35. You can get a package that includes the Canyon wheels, 30" tires, and the Dana 44. This package gets you the Dana 44 much cheaper than ordering separately. (Well, there USED to be such a package. That's what I got on my 01 Sport. I don't know if it is still offered or not.)

You might want to consider a factory order, so that you get EXACTLY the Jeep you want with no compromises. We here in this group would be very glad to help you select the options that would make sense for your intended use of the Jeep.

Tom

The 30"Canyon Wheel Pkg still includes gas-filled shocks, Dana 44 rear axle, & 3.73 rear axle ratio.

This is what I got on my 03'. In addition to pkg, I also got Trac-lok limited slip.

Stephen
    Stephen wrote:
    <<The 30"Canyon Wheel Pkg still includes gas-filled shocks, Dana 44 rear axle, & 3.73 rear axle ratio........I also got Trac-lok limited slip.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My '00 5 speed has the exact same equipment; the seller wasn't even aware of it (me either, 'till I got the build sheet). The ride quality is a bit more "trucklike" than a Jeep without those options (it's mostly the gas shocks, like Tom said), but the difference is mostly apparent if you test drive them back to back. The Canyon package is a good one, IMO.
    Breakdown update: The dealer service rep has called me on three (3) different occassions to tell me in his best "cheery" professional service rep voice: "Well, Larry, we changed out the blah, blah blah, but it didn't help any. We're still checking it out and will keep you posted".
    When I asked if the Diagnostic hookup was any help, he said "Those things help add confusion, that's all". The motto over their shop should read: "We'll try anything, 'till we get it right". LOL! Well, there you go. Frustrated, yes. And thankful, yes, that my Jeep has 2 months of warrenty left. I may get the warrenty extension after all; Can't wait to get my Jeep back. I'm all Corrolla'd out (It sure has a nice radio, though).
    Larry
    Man, I hope they aren't going to charge you for the parts they change out that turn out not to be the problem!

Please keep us posted!

Good luck.

Tom

Hey, it was fun chatting with you the other night in Gill's. Sure glad you came over for a visit. Hope you'll do that again from time to time.

Your email addy isn't working for me. I tried to send you a couple more albums of my pics from Photoworks.com, but I get an error message. I then tried to send you just a regular email and got the same message.

How 'bout emailing me, so I will have your correct return address? tjoh298765@aol.com

Thanks,

Tom

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Thanks, Tom; I've got an aggressive anti-spam program and sometimes a friend's address slips into the blacklisted group by accident- so let me check that when I get home tonight. If not, I'll send you my address. Are you all supposed to get a heavy snow?
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    "Man, I hope they aren't going to charge you for the parts they change out that turn out not to be the problem!"

And if they do, call Chrysler Headquarters. Trust me, I KNOW from experience. A tiny 10 minute call can get the dealer service department back on their toes each time.
  • kbowenkbowen Member Posts: 58
    I may be purchasing a Wrangler soon and am considering the Rubicon. I want something that I can depend on for off roading vacations in the summer in the CO/UT/NM areas. I'm not a "die hard" off roader and take the wife, but have done some pretty harry stuff in the Moab and Silverton areas. One of the factors I have to consider is the distance we have to travel to get in these areas, so I want something decent for the highway too. (I had a Grand Cherokee, but it kept blowing out the front drive shaft CV joint on steep inclines.) The Wrangler would be fine for the trip, but I notice that the Rubicon has no option for ABS, something I would definitely want for the highway half of the vehicle. Does anyone know why that is? Also, does anyone have any experience with the noise level of the Rubicon tires on the highway. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Still no good. I tried to send you those albums again, and the emails did not go through. You need to put Photoworks.com on your "friends" list.

Also, emails directly from me are getting bounced too.

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Town Hall chat just started if anyone needs a live "fix."

Links on the left.

Steve, Host
    Just a general chat, or specific to some particular vehicle or class of vehicle?

Tom

DUH! I just looked at the link "all member chat" :)
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    OK, FINALLY you should be OK... I hope..;)

BT
    It was mostly trivia tonight Tsjay. Catch you next month?

Steve, Host
    Maybe. I prefer strictly Jeep talk, but we tried that, and it went over like a lead balloon, huh?

We have some new folks now, so maybe a Jeep chat would be better attended now?

Tom

Maybe if you can convince Jeep to sponsor it.... Florida_Jeep stopped in briefly btw.

Steve, Host
    I had another call from the service dept. late today (third workday in the shop). They are frustrated as as hell! They've switched out this, that, and the other thing, and in their opinion, the Jeep should be running perfectly! But, it still dies after a few moments, so things are no better than they were on Monday a.m. when they first opened the hood. What to do? The guy said that he's never had a vehicle that perplexed them this badly. I jokingly asked if they checked all the fuses. Silence. I think I offended him. ;-) At any rate, maybe I'll hear good news tomorrow. Yes, I'm frustrated, but no, I still havn't given up. (I love the Jeep, and will keep it forever, for the time being. ;) The dealership is 60 miles away, so I can't cruise in for the daily "Hey, how's it going?". I do feel lucky that I was close enough to home, though. Imagine a breakdown like that in the middle of nowhere, 10 days into a 15 day vacation, while towing a boat? THAT would be maddening! Still, I'll keep you posted! My guess is that this is a one in a million glitch, and definately not the norm.
    Larry (Thanks for the tip, Bored. So far, I'm told it's all "covered", except for the rental).
    P.S. It's amazing how people (me) mellow with age. There was a time when I'd be screaming bloody murder, with guns blazing). Now I just have another glass of wine and say: Thanks for the update, Mr. Service rep. Keep me posted" ;-). I like it much better this way.
    Things that have stopped my Jeep from going zooom. Plugged catalytic converter. Bad idle speed actuator motor. I didn't even know I had one. Actually, I think it was really carbon build up in the throttle body but the dealer was fishing. The diagnostics didn't help then either. The strangest one; mice built a deluxe home in my air cleaner box. It was stuffed full of all kinds of fluffy stuff including insulation and grass. Now I keep an eye on it and found they were using it as a pantry one other time.

From past vehicles I've learned to change the fuel filter once a year.

Gary
    Like you, I regard ABS as an on-road asset. However, the Rubicon is designed and equipped primarily for the rock crawling enthusiast, who generally has no use for ABS. Also, it has the D44 rear axle, which is not available for use with ABS on the Wrangler.

I haven't heard of any tire noise complaints, but there's starting to be feedback on some of the forums that the Rubicon seems markedly sluggish when compared to previous Wranglers. Whether this is due to gearing, or to the extra weight it now carries is open to speculation. Fuel consumption is reported to be a little worse than previous models as well.

On the plus side, it seems to be doing what it was designed for very well. I've not read of anyone who regrets their purchase. Given your requirements, I would think that a Safari or Sport would be the best choice.

However, I'm sure you could justify a Rubicon to yourself if you really wanted to :-)
    Like you, I regard ABS as an on-road asset. However, the Rubicon is designed and equipped primarily for the rock crawling enthusiast, who generally has no use for ABS. Also, it has the D44 rear axle, which is not available for use with ABS on the Wrangler.

I haven't heard of any tire noise complaints, but there's starting to be feedback on some of the forums that the Rubicon seems markedly sluggish when compared to previous Wranglers. Whether this is due to gearing, or to the extra weight it now carries is open to speculation. Fuel consumption is reported to be a little worse than previous models as well.

On the plus side, it seems to be doing what it was designed for very well. I've not read of anyone who regrets their purchase. Given your requirements, I would think that a Safari or Sport would be the best choice.

However, I'm sure you could justify a Rubicon to yourself if you really wanted to :-)
    "From past vehicles I've learned to change the fuel filter once a year."

You won't enjoy doing it if you have a TJ. The fuel filter is on the pump, which is in the tank!
    I've got a YJ. I approach it with a bucket and safety goggles and still end up smelling like gas for a couple of days. So I guess you don't worry about fuel filters on TJs, eh?

Gary
    Wonder what's up with that? It has 31" tires, but doesn't it have 4.10 gearing, which should compensate for the tire diameter. I know the tires are heavier, but would they make that much difference?

I have 31 x 10.50 BFGs, and I'm still geared at the original 3.73. I don't think there was that much loss of acceleration over the stock tires.

I also have added a Kilby and some rocker guards, and these things are heavy! I still don't think I have lost all that much power compared to stock.

Tom

The theory is that the returning fuel backflushes the filter. Don't know if that should stop anyone worrying though :-)
    Pete:

I hope you will re-upload your beautiful pics in Gill's gallery and then link them here in Edmunds like you did before.

I guess you know that Gill had a MAJOR crash, and his backup was no good. The poor guy worked all day and part of the night last Sunday to get the site put back together.

I am in the process of putting my pics back into the gallery at Gill's, and I hope you will do the same. I will eventually post them back here in Edmunds too, or some of them anyway.

You'll have to delete your old photo posts in the gallery here at Edmunds, since there's no way to use the original posts and re-link your pics.

I know it's a hassle, but your pics are too gorgeous not to be shared! I still say you are one lucky dude to live so close to those beautiful mountains.

Tom

The 4.10's should more than compensate for the 31's. If anything, the Rubicon should be a little perkier than the standard Wrangler. It's my guess that the cause is a remapping of the PCM, either for stricter emissions or improved drivability off-road.
    carrier. I've just noticed now that the mornings have been a lot colder. Do the hinges/mounts just need some WD40 or something? I've actually been quite impressed at how on-road quiet the Wrangler has been w/the hardtop on thus far. I actually expected a lot more noise. :-)

Stephen
    Thanks for the tips on problem areas to look for. Day 4 and no progress. Now Cyrysler is involved at the Corporate level, with the dealer shop and Corporate techs., transmitting instructions, test results, etc. to/from the head "gurus" at Chrysler. Everyone agrees that my Jeep should be running fine, but isn't. I won't post here again 'till I get some good news, as I don't want you all to think I'm whining. I'm not, and feel confident a cure will be found soon. I really think the guys at the dealership are putting in their best efforts to resolve this, especially after I learned they asked for help from the Chrysler Corp. Sure is a head-scratcher, huh?
    Larry