Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New HHR Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• norvonnorvon Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. I was thinking that might be the problem. Now to convince the dealer.
  • hw2081hw2081 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this car last month and am happy with everyting except fuel economy. The sticker and test show 26/30 mpg. I mostly drive in the city and my mpg according to DIC is not higher than 15.5 miles.

I spoke with the dealer, they state that the numbers on the sticker are not Chevrolet's but EPA number for which Chevrolet is not responsible.

A slight variation in fuel economy is usually the norm, but here we have a fuel economy of about 50% as stated.

Anybody out there with suggestions ?????

hw2081@charter.net
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Member Posts: 6,043
    To be that far off something is wrong. Could be you though with too heavy of a foot?

Try calculating the mpg by hand.
  • smogdungsmogdung Member Posts: 349
    Ours is a 2.4L automatic (this would be the combo with the worst MPG)....we're ave about 25-26 MPG...I think it's close to impossible that you're getting 15.5 MPG...unless it's the worst possible driving conditions...what did you drive before & what kind of mileage did you get?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    "Key removal Problems"

There seems to be quite a few vehicles, brands, these days with the same issue. I don't know if they are buying the ignitions from the same place or what, but I have seen this issue on several different message boards including Toyota.
  • hesjr1972hesjr1972 Member Posts: 5
    :lemon: :mad: :lemon: First off, I would like to apologize in advance for my grammatical and spelling errors in this message. I purchased my new 2007 Chevrolet HHR in February 2007. I have had nothing but problems since then. The major problem started in May 2007. I would start up the car and then "attempt" to drive out of a parking space going 10 miles per hour in which the whole car shuts down (engine, brakes, and lights) for the exception of the radio. This happened twice and I called Terry Labonte Chevrolet to let them know what is going with my vehicle. I took it in to Terry Labonte Chevrolet the following day the second week of June 2007 so they can diagnose the problem. They got back with me and said the computer says there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. With me being so trusting I thought it was a fluke and went on my daily routines. Big mistake! On Monday, June 18, 2007, I was in a Walmart parking lot getting ready to drive onto the busy intersection of West Wendover Avenue during lunch time. I was just going 10 miles per hour when the car complete shut off on me (engine, brakes) and it was still coasting directly into traffic. I panicked because it was so sudden and my instincts kicked in when I pulled up the emergency brake. I was that close to running into oncoming traffic. I immediately called Terry Labonte Chevrolet and let them know what had happened. I let Terry Labonte Chevrolet know that I was bringing my vehicle so they check it out the following day. Big mistake! I should have turned it in that same day. Since it was still my lunch break, I was hungry and I headed to the Subway in the same Walmart parking lot. I got my lunch and started up my car. And guess what, it happened again. My car completely shut down as I was driving 10 miles per hour through the parking lot. I called Terry Labonte Chevrolet again and let them know what just happened. Stupid me, I drove back to work instead of taking it directly to Terry Labonte Chevrolet. After work, I had to get something from a Walmart on Cone Blvd. You guessed it, as I was leaving the Walmart parking lot my vehicle completely shut down. This time, I almost hit a child. I could have hurt or even killed a child because I did not turn my vehicle in earlier. Again, I called Terry Labonte Chevrolet and let them know what just happened. On June 19, 2007, I turned my vehicle in so Terry Labonte Chevrolet could see what is going on with my vehicle. This time they were able to duplicate the problem I was having and gave me a rental to use in the mean time. I called General Motors Customer Service about my problems with the HHR in which I got the run around. They claimed there was nothing wrong with their vehicles. I reported them to the Better Business Bureau in which I final got a response from Pam Saunders (Phone Number# 866-790-5600), General Motors Business Resource Representative. Of course she says that General Motors stands behind their vehicles and have not had any problems with the 2007 Chevrolet HHR. The mechanics of Terry Labonte Chevrolet and the General Motors Engineers have no ideal what is going on with my vehicle. This is what they told me, but they still want to give me back that vehicle. This is the honest to GOD truth. I told Pam Saunders under no circumstances will I take back a vehicle that even the General Motors Engineers have no ideal what is wrong with the vehicle. I asked her to have General Motors to give me a brand new vehicle or a total refund. They are refusing due to my warranty. I do not want a vehicle that is having constant problems (there is only 5300 miles on it) that even the General Motors Engineers can't seem to solve. Please folks, don't be a big dummy like me and wait till you almost hit an innocent child to get the vehicle back to the service station. I am determined that General Motors will not get away with trying to give me back that lemon. I will try to keep you up to date on my issues with General Motors. If any of you out there are experiencing what I am going through, please do let me know. :lemon: :lemon:
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Sorry to hear of your troubles, hope they can find a quick solution. One thing that comes to mind (since it isn't setting any codes), is to have them check all the fuses/relays to make sure they are properly seated. Some have found loose fuses/relays and it can cause various problems. Good luck
    Thank you so much for the positive words Ray80. I very much appreciate it. I got my fingers crossed.
  • donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    You might also want to check on the Lemon laws for your state.Also a good lawyer down the road might be needed.
    Good Luck!
    I got an instant response from General Motors the next day after the Better Business Bureau contacted them. General Motors is now offering to have Terry Labonte Chevrolet to purchase the vehicle and credit me for any Chevrolet vehicle I want to buy. The thing is, I no long want a General Motors Vehicle. General Motors claims that they have American made vehicles. It is more like South American made vehicles. I put the VIN number in Carfax.com and found out my vehicle was manufactured in Mexico. I am going to fight General Motors and see if I can get all my money back from them. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :lemon:
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Good luck! :shades:
    Mexico is in Central America.
  • donnmandonnman Member Posts: 2
    Actually Mexico is part of North America, not Central America.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/na.htm

Mexico is part of the continent of North America which includes Canada, US, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean countries and Greenland
    So wrong was I!

Well at least I was right that it was not in South America as the poster claimed.
  • jhvegasjhvegas Member Posts: 5
    I just got my car back last week for the key removal problem. It turned out to be a bad shifter selector. They replaced the whole shifter. When you put it in park, push the selector button on the shifter a couple times and you can usually release the key and replicate the problem over and over for the dealership. The dealership knew right away what it was when I described it over the phone, sounds like it's common.
    To everyone else out there, don't buy this car. I bought it in May '06. The A/C condensor went out 5,000 miles in; then a bearing hub right passenger side at 15,000 miles; last week the shifter; and as of last night a puddle from the first real rain storm in the front passenger side. Nightmare!!
    It's a :lemon: and will do nothing but aggrivate a commuter who needs a reliable car. :mad:
    Chevy "The Mexican Revolution"
    They are actually quite reliable with arguably the best engines in the industry. The issues you describe, especially the leaky windshield hose, supposedly are resolved.

I don't know of any auto manufacture who has a totally new car off the assembly line that doesn't have some issues once reaching the showrooms. That's why they always say to wait at least a year until they work out the kinks.
    What auto manufacture doesn't build in Mexico jhvegas?
    Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Hyundai manufacture cars in the USA. They use American workers, plants,and research facilities. Because they contain less than 75% domestic parts, they are designated as "foreign". My old Toyota was manufactured in San Jose, Ca. I regret trading it in now for a Chevy. I never had any warranty issues, only had to do routine oil changes. Besides those auto makers... Subaru, Scion, Lexus, Mitsubishi aren't made in Mexico...The Pontiac GTO is out of Australia still...and there are others.
    I want my "American" car to be made here in the USA instead of being assembled by 12 year olds in Mexico. VW's for example were ruined after the plant went to Mexico, and have some of the worst reliability statistics out there. If I had done my research prior on the HHR and found out it wasn't really an American car, I wouldn't have purchased it. Instead I bought on impulse and will probably be trading it soon since something is breaking weekly now affecting how I get to my job to pay for the piece of s :surprise: :confuse: t!!! :lemon: :mad:
    Foreign cars are American now and American cars are Foreign now.
    I got the HHR back from dealership today and it turned out to be the windshield cowl seal was bad on the right side. Allowing water to flood the front passenger floor board coming under the dashboard behind glove box area. Caught it in time, supposedly no damage to wires. We'll see. Glad it doesn't rain much in Vegas. One storm equaled quite a bit of water over night sitting coming into the car. Pretty ridiculous.
    You may want to do some research before you post on a forum. Most all of those you mentioned have manufacturing or parts plants in Mexico. How were Volkswagon ruined after they went to Mexico? In fact they were very successful building the VW Bug there from the late 1960's until 1995 or so.

Cars are considered foreign based on their country of origen. Example Toyota-Japan; BMW-Germany; Volvo/Sabb-Sweden.

GM has by far the highest domestic parts quantity in the US with 75 % overall, compared to Toyota's 49% overall. The Scian and Lexus are imported directly from Japan and thats how Toyota has the low 49% figure. Your old Toyota was probably less 20% domestic parts.
    I didn't mean to be so critical of your last post. Honda, Ford, Chrysler, and GM, were recently effected by the bombing of a natural gas pipeline in Mexico where auto makers had to shut down their manufacturing facilities for several days. GM was able to convert to propane to avoid the shutdown.

Nissan has two plants there and shares one with Renault. Toyota uses 20 Mexican suppliers for parts and has paid over 600 million in recent years. Toyota also has a pickup truck plant in Tijuana.

Mitsubishi has been in Mexico since 2003.

Sorry, I don't have anymore time to post others at this time. Mexico and China are the trend for all auto companies to pursue cheap labor, but not necessarally poorly made cars because they all still have quality control.
    When the A cars were built in Mexico many years ago they put out better quality vehicles than the ones from Oshawa or Tarrytown. And those poor guys had little automation. They would be clikmbing in and out of those vehicles like nimble mice. But they put out the better product. Of course today the US has greatly improved their quality output.
    I did do some research....but that doesn't matter to a car salesman. Go sell another GM car. Cite your references if you are such an expert. I said manufactured, not parts. And by the way what is wrong with wanting our vehicles to made here?
    I don't have time for this nonsense. I will only post what is wrong with the car from here on for the consumer who may be considering it... and for those who share the same problems and don't know what is wrong with the vehicle.
    I only mentioned the Toyota parts along with there pickup assembly plant in Tijuana. All the others-Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Suburu, Isuzu, Volkswagon, GM, Chrysler, Ford, and I am sure others are also being manufactured in Mexico.

All you need to do is go to a search engine and type in the auto manufacturer manufactured in Mexico. It will bring up your Japanese cars and everything else.

You will get the most domestic product from an American manufacturer like GM over anything else. So there is your American company.

There is what they call American domestic and foreign domestic. Some Toyota models are foreign domestic because they are built in the U.S., but they will never be considered an American car no matter what the content.

You can find the domestic content on the windows Monroney sticker the next-time you are looking for a car. It shows the country of origin, final assembly, and where the engine and transmission came from. They are also going to be putting the crash test data on the stickers supposedly starting with the 2008 models.

My experience with cars is because I am a serious auto enthusiest who prefers both new and older cars, especially 1960's cars of which I have owned as well. I also do all my own auto maintenance and have never been to a quick lube shop for an oil change. I also have owned 6 motorcycles and currently own a Honda dirtbike. I do not own an HHR but have been in and driven several. It is one of the auto's on my list for future purchase but my 1992 Chevy truck purchased new just won't quite so that is my current ride.

It's unfortunate you may have had a bad experience but luckily your situation is somewhat rare and not common. You may have seen the same problem on the board before, but these boards are mostly made up with people who want to vent their frustration. Most people don't come to the forums because they don't have any issues to speak of. Go over to the Toyota or Honda forums sometime and see the anger over there. It is no different, just another make.

Six months ago or whenever you started your story you were mad because they wouldn't buy it back. What auto manufacture buys cars back?

Why spoil someone elses pleasant experience with your issues when the car is considered relatively sound and at a bargain of a price. Give it a rest because your rant isn't very convincing.
  • PAmanPAman Member Posts: 207
    Good lord, why don't you guys go whine somewhere else??

I came in here to see how the HHR is holding up since I am thinking of buying one; what do I find? An arguement complaining about cars made in Mexico!

Yeah, I know the HHR is made in Mexico. So was my 1987 Chevrolet El Camino! Nothing new here; any car with a VIN that starts with a 3 is made in Mexico.

Move along, nothing new here.
  • weighmasterweighmaster Member Posts: 8
    Back to the main topic.
    New 2008 Owner... car is a smooth ride and quiet. Good for long trips. handles decent, but not as well as other cars, but well enough. Acceleration is good enough to not worry about merging onto freeways. Interior is nice, not spectacular, but this isnt a Cadillac or BMW... Overall, everything about this car is solid, and it looks great. Great bang for your buck, I feel like I definately got more than my moneys worth. I like it more than my 2005 Mustang.
    I thought we did since the last post was last month until you opened it up again.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    Right, Toyota has had a bunch of major problems too.

In the United States, Toyota's largest market, the number of vehicles recalled soared to 2.2 million last year. That was double the number of vehicles recalled in 2004, and more than 10 times the 200,000 cars it recalled in 2003, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/08/04/business/recall.php
    Yes, Toyota is going through some problems right now with their rush to be # 1 in sales. When you manufacture at such a high pace quality control is inevitably not going to be as good. With most auto companies catching up with Toyota is technology in the last few years, I see them pretty much peaking in sales about where they are right now. Their numbers will probably decline as people realize the false perceptions and that they are now just another company and that cars are pretty competitive brand for brand nowadays.
  • desertgrjdesertgrj Member Posts: 6
    Sunburst Orange II, loaded with bright chrome package, roof rails and cross ties, running boards, grey interior. Also has the 2.4 170 HP engine, 4 sp automatic. Left a Toyota Avalon for this, so the ride and drive experience is different.

I ordered it from GM thru Power Chev here is Phoenix valley and had a good experience. I ordered the interior as Ebony but got the Grey; no good answer why, but I like it anyway.

The ride is good and the power is good enough. I like the color and the cargo capability with the Panel configuration - I get lots of looks and questions. With all the fancy amenities and color it's bound to be the only around here for a while. Once I got used to the HUGE blindspot drivnind and parking is fun.

Would love this as the SS, but didn't want to wait.
    Sounds like a real nice ride. That is weird with the different color interior but I too like both interior colors. If you have ever had a van or even a pick-up then blind spots are pretty common.
  • greatbigzgreatbigz Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2008 HHR on November 30th. I am a 38 yr old guitar player and cary tons of gear from rehearsals to shows etc and I have to say...I LOVE THIS CAR! Not only does it hold all of my gear and still leave room for passengers, I get great gas mileage and to top it off, it looks cool too. I didn't get it chromed out or anything, its a standard model with auto tranny but MAN I do dig this car.

The ONLY drawback I have is that I am 6' 3" and the ceiling slopes down a little low for me to see stoplights if I am first in line at the intersection...also because of the same issue, the rearview mirror blocks a portion of the windshield but in the month I have had it I have learned to cope fast. :)
    One thing you can try on the rear view mirror is to push the whole thing (pivot at glass) up toward the ceiling and then adjust the glass(pivot at mirror) so you can see out the rear.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    For the traffic lights, this may be helpfule if your interested:

lightinsight

I don't have rear seat passengers, sp the first thing I did was remove the rear headrests to help with rearview.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    We had to move that button up into the darken portion of windsheild,'cause that
    arm raise and mirror tilt still failed to get the mirror out of a sight line...but all this
    did happen in a car. The relocation wasn't "a walk in the park" but love the results.
    Happy Motoring
  • amyf2amyf2 Member Posts: 9
    Just purchased a 2008 HHR in January, and so far we love it. Yes, I agree with some of the reviews with the windshield being a little small, and it has been some getting used to... but over all, we like the car so far. My 2 kids have plenty of space with their car seats, and my husband and I have plenty of room in the front captains chairs. Im a little surprised at the lack of storage in front... no where to put CD's, no console. The one in the dash is okay for eye glasses, and small things, but Im used to a car where I can store more items. We've also experienced something weird this week... our little LED light in the ceiling has gone out, and no longer illuminates. Ive called the dealer, and they cant find any link to a fuse specifically for that light. So now we have to go in and figure this thing out. We cant see a thing in the dark! Has anyone else experienced this? All in all, I love my new ride... it fits my personality and I like the back seat height for my kids too... dont have to bend over to put my 2 yr old in his car seat. Im very pleased so far.
  • amyf2amyf2 Member Posts: 9
    we've noticed similar issues, and we've just bought our HHR 1LT in January 08. I get maybe 26, not even 27 mpg, and the sticker said 30. So... what we're planning is to increase our tire pressure to what it says on the tire (my husband hasnt checked yet, but he says the pressure is lower than he likes). We got the Nitrogen thing for the tires, has anyone else done that? Im wondering if the Nitrogen needs to be lower than air.... anyway, tire pressure affects fuel economy too.

and we use synthetic oil in my Dodge Stratus and his Chevy Silverado, and a K & N air filter in both. As soon as my HHR needs its first oil change, we're putting in the synthetic oil and the K & N air filter. I hope to see an improvement then. I drive a 2 lane highway to work at a max 65 mph, so I dont get on the interstate hardly at all, so my high speed driving is limited... I should be getting better gas mileage. We'll see.
    we've just bought our HHR 1LT in January 08

Give it time to break in. You need at least 3000 miles to get the mileage up. Takes some driving.

Nitrogen thing for the tires

Nitrogen is a rip off unless you are racing at Nascar.

what we're planning is to increase our tire pressure to what it says on the tire

Set it for what the vehicle wants. Should be on the door end? If you increase it higher ride will get rougher.

30 is the epa highway mileage. Is the 26 what you are getting total? Seems very good if it is for a brand new car so hopefully it will get better for you.
  • lacolaco Member Posts: 28
    Have had an 07 HHR almost a year now. It has yet to go back to the dealer for anything but routine service. As far as mileage, I consistantly get 34 or 35 MPG highway, but then I do have the five speed, and I don't drive it hard. I average around 28 MPG city, but again I don't drive it hard. The visibility, or lack of it rear ward, does take some getting used to, but it certainly isn't that big a deal. We have two other cars, both larger, one a very large SUV, and the car of choice is almost always the HHR. We are contemplating a trip next month, will probably cover 3500 to 4000 miles and we have decided the HHR will do just fine for that. Has any one installed a GPS, in their's and if so, how and where did you mount it? Any idea's here are welcome, space is really limited for anything added on.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I was watching the news a few nights ago, and the report stated that police were advising people not to mount the GPS on the window with suction cups, even if you take the GPS unit down. Just seeing the marks the suction cups left was enough to get the thieve to break-in and check for it; as most people would probably leave it somewhere else in the car.
    My friends GPS that he gave to his son has adapters for both the windshield and the dashboard. I think the dashboard is velcro.
    Agreed with 62Vette, you need to break the engine in more to increase the mileage. Everything is so tight right now. Running your tires at the max psi will increase mileage but your ride could be slightly bumpier. I'm not sure where you live but in most states the gas is changed at this time of year with the ethanol for the winter which will give lower mileage. Also the brand gas sometimes can effect mileage as well as cold weather and driving style.
  • lacolaco Member Posts: 28
    I would, I think, prefer the dash mount, but on an HHR, where would that be without obstructing controls to something? Sitting on top of the dash, would be quite a visual obstruction, given the small windshield.
  • mellshhrmellshhr Member Posts: 1
    I think from what I read the issue concerning the rattling in the dash was solved. My wife has the '06 Spring Addition and it started rattling about 6 months after we got it. She said she didn't hear a thing and fought me over taking it in...the statement was "you always say there is something wrong with my car".. So we dropped it off at Gordon Chevrolet here in Jacksonville, Fl. on 2/13/08.. We get a call and the guy says, "we have to replace the steering column". It is a warranty issue so I am thrilled about that. The folks there are good to their customers from what I hear. As for the some of the other posts. I have the 2.4l engine and it gets 26mpg everytime.. Most of the driving is in town and the highway is truly 30mpg as long as you don't go over 70mph. I guess everyone by now has heard there is a recall due the HHR failing the side impact test. They said they will have to add a brace in the roof somewheres...? Overall we like the HHR but it could use about 30-50 more horses.. Did anyone see the 2008 Turbo Charged HHR at Daytona..?
  • luvsinkluvsink Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 06 HHR in the shop twice in the last two weeks with the same problem. The first time I received a song and dance about how something was clogged with leaves. On the second visit they admitted there was a bulletin on the leaking problem with something on the frame of the vehicle not being sealed. Because I'm ashmatic they are replacing everything that got wet right down to the carpet. Three times in without it being fixed makes it a Lemon.
    Yes, I've got the same leak and I don' t have a sun roof. There is a bulletin out about a seal problem with the body of the vehicle. I'd take it back to the dealer and have them pull up the bulletin.
  • purp02purp02 Member Posts: 1
    Bought one new in 07. Have 2K miles on it. Always garaged when not being driven. The paint has almost a sandpapery feel to it in places. Two coats of Turtlewax Platinum did nothing to smooth it out. Also noticed that the plastic sheets on the leading edge of the rear fenders are almost perforated thru. Other than that, the only other "problem" was actually the way the steering wheel is made. There are two holes used to release the airbag. Mine looked like someone poked them in the housing with a screwdriver. Dealer replaced te wheel, and the new one looks almost the same. Yes, I did ask to see my old one.
    The first trip was taken at 100 miles, and gave us 34MPG on the 400 mile round trip. Not bad at all.
    Ok, got mine back from the dealership after round two and the leak was found to be, "Water is entering the vehicle throught the HVAC Case. Removed the cowl panel to find that butyl patch was not sealing properly. The cabin filter and carpet both have mildew growth on them. Replaced the butyl patch, carpet and the cabin filter." So, if you're having the leaking problem and your dealer is having a hard time finding it, you might try looking at the above. I have to give my dealership props in that they gave me a rental car and when they returned my beloved HHR it was filled with gas, washed and there was new carpet in it. Also, if you have the leak make them look for mildew. That can be a major health risk. But I have to say that Nimnicht Chevrolet took very good care of me. Hopefully the leaking problem is finally solved. Also, I do not have a sun roof. :);) I still love my HHR. :shades: