Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    No one will think you're whining. Just keep us posted.

Man, that is really weird! I hope they figure it out soon. It would kill me to be without Thelma Jane for that long.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    There is a difference between frustration and whining. Your frustrated. Let us know what happens.

What a wierd situation! Be glad they aren't putting a bandaid on and returning it back to you without fixing the problem. I've had such rotten luck with many dealership service departments that I tend to avoid them if at all possible. It sounds like your dealership is great! Though I will say this, the last time I saw a dealership it was a Toyota dealership in Bakersfield and I had a good experience, so I'm not saying they are all bad!
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    I am also planning on doing some sizable road trips with my Jeep. The biggest issue isn't going to be the road noise so much as the fuel (and wear and tear on the tires?). I anticipate visiting a lot of gas stations along the way. Still, unless gas jumps to $3/gallon, it should be cheaper than flying out and renting a jeep.

What's the long distance experiences from the forum? I plan on keeping it to 70 mph for fuel and safety (TJ's seem a little shaky at 80 mph - IMHO). Any thoughts?
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    From Florida we've made round trips throughout the 'States and Canada. Apprehensive at first, but it turned out to be no problem at all. The seats in our Sahara are comfortable, and with power steering, air conditioning, cruise control etc., it's as well equipped as most modern vehicles. For me, the cruise control probably contributes most noticeably to a relaxing drive. It's no Lincoln or Cadillac, but I find it more than adequate for long distances.
    A couple of years ago we chose to drive the Wrangler to northern B.C. and back instead of a Tacoma. The better comfort of the seats made up for the lousy gas mileage and smaller room for junk. I do keep it down to 70 at the fastest - as you pointed out between the poor aerodynamics and the quick steering, it does not handle well at higher speeds. I tend to drive around 65, because the gas mileage is better there.

I often choose to drive the Wrangler on our often trips to Vegas and back because it is so much more comfortable. And it still is more comfortable, even though it has something over 105,000 miles on it (the weather has been hot for a couple of weeks, so I haven't had much excuse to drive it and I don't remember the mileage off hand. We always keep it on the trip odometer).

It seemed like the stock Goodyear tires were OK, but compromised too much everywhere. I switched to Bridgestone Dueler ATs and like them very much. They seem to be wearing much better than the Goodyears, are quiet on the road, and have more stick in icy conditions.
    I guess about 300 miles one way is as far as I've been in Thelma Jane, and I didn't find it uncomfortable or tiring. I do have to admit that with the full doors, there was no good place to rest my left elbow, but that was no biggie.

Tom

• boredbored Member Posts: 300
    It seems like it's time to get loud.

Tell THEM to replace every single engine related component, which includes the engine.

I know of one Dodge dealership, where you the Customer Service is so crappy, that you have to get LOUD to get your problem solved. My uncle used to go there, and they threatened to call the police a couple times. But, if that's what it takes...

My mother also took this route when they wouldn't fix the oil leak in her '93 Duster (At a different dealership), way back in the day. She took it in once @ 69,913 Miles. (Still under warranty). They said that there was no problem found. SO: then when we noticed a large PUDDLE of oil coming from the engine, she took it back @ 70,021 Miles, they refused to fix it under warranty, AND they KNEW that they didn't fix it in the first place. All it took was one LOUD complaining call to Chrysler Headquarters, and it was fixed, free of charge, deductible free. THEN it happened again 500 miles later. Once again, fixed for free. As for that engine, it was never really fixed. The Duster was later dumped.

Call, complain, contact the BBB, do whatever you can to get your Jeep back. It must be mind blowing driving that Corolla around, and you're currently making payments on a Jeep that you can't even drive.

Heck, make a trip out to Auburn Hills, MI.
  • ndovarasndovaras Member Posts: 8
    I knew it was too easy. I picked up my 2003 Wrangler Friday afternoon. It is a joy to drive and feels much different (smoother) than my 1995.

I watched the video last night and I'm confused on the dual top issue. The jeep comes with both tops installed and suggests that one be removed immediately. I believe the word "MUST" is included in the suggestion. My question is do I need to remove the hardtop to remove the soft top assembly or is there some trick to removing the soft top without having to go through the pain of hardtop removal. It is 5 degrees outside and I'm not happy about the idea of doing a remove/install.

What have others done?

Thanks
    Don't be confused and unhappy..... you've just got a new Wrangler...... be happy!

(Yes, you MUST remove the hardtop to remove the soft-top.)
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Like Mac24 said...be happy :-)...and, yes you do have to remove the hardtop to get the softtop out of the vehicle. I did this last weekend. I got the softtop disconnected just fine but there's not enough room to negotiate getting the softtop assembly out of the Wrangler with the hardtop still attached. If it's any consolation, you only have to do this procedure once. :-)

Stephen
    Hey, congrats on the Jeep! So you finally got the deal worked out, huh? You were posting about the dealer fee a while back.

Now tell us all about the Jeep! My shrewd, calculating mind has told me that you got the dual top option. (what tipped me off?) :)

How 'bout some other details? How bout some pics?

Tom

• adam86adam86 Member Posts: 11
    I own a 01 60th anniversary edition wrangler, and im looking to put bigger tires and a lift on it. Any suggestions on which lifts to use, also what is the difference between suspension lifts and body lifts? A friend mentioned Mickey Thompson tires, he has them on his 98 and loves them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    A body lift raises the body above the frame (chassis). A suspension lift raises both the body and frame above the axles.

Do you want your lift for function or looks? A suspension lift will enable you to fit larger tires and will also give enhanced wheel travel, thus improving your off road capability. A body lift will enable you to fit larger tires, period!

A body lift is cheap, around $100, and easy to fit. A suspension lift is more expensive, and more complicated to install.

Plenty to research!
    Like Mac24 said, be careful what you get into and be sure you do some serious research. Suspension lifts over about two or three inches start to get you into driveline angle problems, which requires correction. (You are raising your transfer case, which goes up with the lift, in relation to your differential, which goes up only by the difference in tire radius between the current tires and the new, larger tires)

Like Mac said, what is the purpose of the lift? Are you going to wheel that Jeep or do you just want bigger tires for looks?

This is one of those "I've heard" things, and not personal experience, but it is WIDELY held that a body lift of over one inch is not a good thing.

There is a very good lift by all accounts called an OME (Old Man Emu) for people who don't want to get too radical. It is a suspension lift, including four springs and four shocks. It is nominally a two inch lift, but people are getting three inches when they get the heavy duty version.

Even with the OME, some people have to use the trac bar relocator bracket that comes with the kit and do a transfer case drop for driveline angle correction. (The trac bar is what keeps the rear axle centered, and after the lift, the axle can shift to one side or the other, requiring the use of the tac bar relocator bracket)

What size tires are you wanting to go to? That will determine how much lift you need.

Tom

• adam86adam86 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for all of the great info. I'd like to get a 2.5 to a 3 inch lift, with bigger tires mostly for looks, but I will be doing some off roading (nothing major). I don't need a lift bigger than that, and I probably couldn't afford one. So I guess I just need recommendations on what brand of lift to get, and what size tire and wheel combo is good for what what I need. Thanks again, Adam
    You are welcome! You'll find that we folks in here love to talk Jeep, and we are always eager to pass on info.

Adam, things really need to start with tire size. You decide which tire size you want to go with, and then you lift the Jeep accordingly.

Did you know that you can put 31's on your Jeep with no lift at all? I ran mine that way for a good while before finally getting a used 2" Procomp lift from a wheelin' buddy. I did not disconnect my sway bar while I had the 31's and no lift. My tires might have rubbed the flares during full flex with the sway bar disco'd, if I had tried it, since you get much more axle travel when the sway bar is disco'd. That's the very reason you disconnect: to get more axle travel or "articulation."

If 31's are not big enough for you, then you will need some kind of lift.

You might want to find out which rear axle you have, the standard Dana 35, or the optional Dana 44. The Dana 44 will handle larger tires with less chance of breaking. If you are only going to do mild offroading, and if you are not going to have a locker in the rear end, then the Dana 35 would probably still support tires up to 33". I sure would not go over 33's with the Dana 35.

I really think that OME lift would be what you would want, but even for 33's, you would probably need a 1" body lift, if you plan to disconnect your front sway bar for offroading. Otherwise, you would probably be fine on the pavement, but would rub your flares when getting full flex with the sway bar disco'd out on the trails.

Tom

• likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    The dealer at Santa Rosa called late Friday with promising news. Chrysler had suggested to them on Fraday AM to carefully check the distributor shaft. Sure enough, it was "binding". A new assembly was located and shipped out Friday. The dealer now has it and will install it today, then test the vehicle for factory specs-should be ready late today or Tuesday am.... (When questioned further today, the service manager said that Chrysler stated that "several" of them have caused problems (bad bearings), but doesn't know how many, or any other details. When I pick up the Jeep, I'll be sure to get a part number, etc.
    Larry
    P.S. I know distributor caps and rotors have all but dissappeared on modern engines. But it's sure nice to know there's still a job for the distributor shaft.
    Stop your whining! :)

Seriously, glad that things are looking up. I hope that this is the fix and that you won't have any more problems. I know you'll be glad to have that Jeep back! I would kill me to be without Thelma Jane that long.

Tom

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Stop your whining! :)

I think I'll recommend that Edmunds provide cheese to go with that whine! ;-)

tidester, host
    It sounds like victory at last! Sure hope that this is the problem and you get your Jeep back on the road. It sounds like one of those off-the-wall kind of things.
    I hope everyone realizes that I just said that to Likalar about whining because of what I told him in post 8031 (that no one would think he was whining).

I sure hope they get that Jeep back in good running condition for him. Man, I would have a stroke if I had to give up Thelma Jane for a whole week!

Tom

• smurf6smurf6 Member Posts: 27
    Hi. I've been driving the jeep for a month and I'm finally getting the hang of getting in and out of it with ease. It's been great to have with the snow and ice we have been getting here in the northeast!

However, that brings me to a question. My poor Jeep definitely needs a bath. Are there any concerns I should have with using a Professional Car Wash with the hardtop? Any particular type I should avoid? I'd wash it myself but frankly it's too cold out and the outside faucets at home are closed for the winter.

Susan
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It was all in good fun - I'm sure everyone recognized it that way!

tidester, host
    I use whatever commercial car wash is handy and don't worry too much about it. I figure that a car wash won't do anything that the trees and brush haven't already done. My '98 (now almost 5 years old) doesn't seem to be having any bad experiences because of it. On the other hand, I don't wash it as often as I probably should and they use sand, not salt, on the roads here (and there hasn't been much of a need for sand recently). There is no snow here, and I went horseback riding in a light jacket and short sleeved shirt today. The grass is green (for once) and my bulbs are sprouting! Do you suppose the storm we had right before Christmas was winter for us? How boring!

- Harriet
    I was going to make a comment earlier something about letting Tom have my share of the red whine and I'd take the cheese! Now if it was white whine I might reconsider...
    Ain't Jeeps the coolest things in the world?

Any gas stations in your area that will hand wash a vehicle? I guess the car wash wouldn't hurt anything, especially the brushless type. A hand washing would get that puppy cleaner, though.

Tom

• earsears Member Posts: 20
    I've had my jeep for 9 days now and really like it. We got a couple of inches of snow last week so I got to try out the 4WD.

I washed my jeep at the car wash, using the hand wand. I just used low pressure when washing areas where I was afraid the water might penetrate the inside. No problems.
  • earsears Member Posts: 20
    My ’99 Jeep has the ½ doors and one of the uppers has a cut in the plastic window (it was that way when I bought it). It looks like someone sliced it open in order to unlock it. Currently duct tape covers the slice.

·Quadratec sells replacements in pairs for $240. Anyone know if it’s possible to buy just one?

·Is there any way to repair the tear?

·If I replace the windows, would it make sense to get the sliders ($370)? Anyone have these?

·Has anyone purchased a replacement at a salvage yard? What was the price?

Thanks in advance!!

eARS
  • rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    Tsjay when you put that 2" lift kit on your jeep did you have to make any drive shaft adjustments?
    Sure, I knew you all were joking about the whine. Gearbox whine, right? So thanks for the good cheer;
        All in all, driving a rental for a week or so is maybe a good thing. When I get the Wrangler back, it will be that much more fun after Corollaing at low altitude these past few days.
         Ears, about that slit window: If you live near a big marina, shop around for a canvas shop. Big boat owners use a similar material for bimini tops, and they are often made locally on a custom basis. They have the machines and materials to do such a repair. An auto upholstery repair shop could fix that, too, I imagine.
    Larry
    Man, it's so good to hear from you after such a long time! Where the heck ya been? Let's get a little (actually a LOT) more active here! :)

Rb, I didn't have to do anything about driveline angle after my lift was installed, and this is not surprising, since it was just a 2" lift.

The folks who get the HD version of the OME lift often get 3" of actual lift, and they sometimes have to do a transfer case drop to get rid of vibrations from a bad driveline angle. I have never done one, but a T-case drop is supposed to be very simple to do, just adding some washers where the T-case is mounted.

You will be giving up some of the ground clearance that the lift gave you when you do a T-case drop, but if your purpose for the lift was more for fitting larger tires and not so much for ground clearance, it's no biggie.

Keep posting!

Tom

Geepers, Alan, I wondered what happened to you. No posts in here and no visits to Gill's chat room. Come on, Dude! We need to hear from ya more often.

I don't have any tips for ya on those uppers. I do wish ya good luck, though.

How bout some more frequent posts, and how 'bout ya come back to Gill's?

Tom

• wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    i went to hollister hills twice this weekend. once with some guys from j.u. and once with rob and randy .we had a great time and we all made it back home .you should come by and see the photos in a few days .did you do some wheeling over the 3-day ?
    Thanks to our extended drought in the Southwest, I have managed to figure out how to hand wash my Jeep with about 5 gallons of water and no soap. I just soak an area with one rag and then wipe it off with another. Be sure to carefully "break-off" any large chunks of mud before starting.

In between hand washing, I have found that one of those "California Dusters" does a nice job of keeping the dust off. Honestly, a good wiping makes her look pretty clean.

They do not use a lot of salt on our roads, so that is less of a concern. However, they do use cinders for traction, so what we gain in rust protection, we lose in cracked windshields. :-)
    What three day? My company does not observe Dr. Martin Luther King Day, so it was just another work day for me.

Nope, didn't get to wheel this past weekend. :(

This coming Saturday, maybe, but it will be COLD!

Tom

• oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    Made a trip up to OK this weekend. Had a strong wind coming from the north for the whole trip while I continued to head north. Stopped to get gas at a station that had easy on/off for the interstate. Had gone 182.5 miles and put in 16.675 gallons. If my math is correct that equates to 10.94 MPG. One heck of a strong wind! I stayed at around 70 MPH, but at times had to shift into 4th to keep my speed up.

I try not to get over 60 MPH while at home and get around 15 MPG more or less. I do have engine, gas tank, rockers, lca, and steering gear box skids, along with the steel wheels, 31 inch tires and rock guard on the rear differential. Easily have over 200 pounds of extra steel to help with mileage.

I ended up putting 833 miles on this weekend and I think I put a total of 56 gallons in after filling up once I got home.

Mtngal I don't want to hear about your 20 MPG:).

Still a happy camper.
    Here's the axle travel you can get with just a two inch suspension lift and the front sway bar disconnected.

Tom

• wheelermanwheelerman Member Posts: 113
    last year i got 10 paid holidays. we get a few less this year . i realy had a 4 day weekend .
    I also get 10 paid holidays, but MLK Day isn't one of them.

I think we should observe that day, and I would give up one of the other holidays in order to have that one. I am NOT a bleeding heart liberal, and usually vote Republican, but I do think that our whole country owes a great debt to Dr. King.

Our country had to change, and he led us into that change in a nonviolent way. There could have been almost a civil war if the black population had followed the militants instead of following Dr. King.

Tom

That 20 mpg assumes all highway and NO wind. I do much worse than that when it is windy, and I have a stock vehicle. I can't remember when I've had to downshift to 4th to keep up speed in the Wrangler (do it ALL the time in the Taco, but it is a 4 banger), so the wind must have been really strong. I have had to slow down to around 55-60 to keep from unexpectedly changing lanes when driving in a strong cross wind, though.

tsjay - Love the picture - a good example.
    I got the call Tuesday: my Jeep was ready. Runs like a top. The guy I was dealing with had told me that the "distributor shaft" was binding, due to faulty bearings. Here's what the paperwork printout says:"....performed several diagnostics, finally traced to cam sensor shorting out and oil pump drive binding. We replaced with a new sensor and oil pump drive. Testdrove, all okay." Oil pump drive, distributor drive? Ahhh, what's the difference!? At any rate, it runs great, they even performed the #B06 recall (exhaust manifold debris shield) and changed the plugs.
        Other thoughts:
        Nice picture if the wheel travel, tsjay.
        Wind: Ha, got you beat, gal. I got 22mpg (6 cyl, 5 spd) going south last month on I-5. Coming home, I got 16mpg. Damn headwinds! This Jeep is aerodynamic as a brick; wouldn't have it any other way.
    Larry
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I got 20mpg on hwy heading south on I5 to Olympia from Seattle. Only had about 60miles on odometer then. I've been getting 14 to 15mpg in mostly city driving. I have about 880 miles on the odometer now.

Wrangler Sport, 6cyl, 5spd, 30"tires

Stephen
    I'm usually between 18 and 20 mpg around town (6cyl. 5spd.). It takes a totally different driving style than what I was used to, but now that I'm in a Wrangler, I'm just not in that big a hurry.

I have tried shifting when the little arrow lights up, but I did not find much of a difference in my milage. Better to trust the "feel" of the engine. Besides, it's more fun to change gears on my own.
    Hey, Jeepers, how are all my buddies tonight?

I had the fluids changed today in the tranny and in the transfer case on Thelma Jane. I bought the stuff a while back from the local DC dealer's parts department, but I just hadn't gotten around to changing it or having it changed until today.

I let it get too cold and the days get too short to do it myself, since my garage has no electriciy, and therefore no lights and no heat.

That good old GM dealer that changes my oil for $5.95 when I bring in my own oil and filter did the job on the tranny and t-case for $22.12! That was a special deal that I'm not sure they would do for just anyone, but I have bought several vehicles from that place in my car trading past. Salesmen there have named their children after me. :) You guys know how often I used to trade cars.

Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'll get to the point. I wish I had changed those fluids sooner. The tranny has a magnetic drain plug, and it was loaded with metal particles. There were also some small paricles in the oil that drained out. I have read on other message boards that it is important to change those fluids, even though DC claims the fluid never needs to be changed on the manual transmission.

Also, the transfer case fluid was very dark compared to the new stuff that went in. The transfer case just gets automatic transmission fluid, Mopar ATF +4. I don't think I had really waited TOO long, but it sure looked like it was in need of changing.

Thelma Jane is a little over two years old, and she has 26,000 miles on her. I wish I had changed those fluids sometime during the first year.

The good news was that neither the tranny nor the t-case fluids showed any sign of water contamination.

If you are gonna keep your Jeep for a long time, and if you want to be serious about maintenance, then I highly recommend that you change these fluids at least once a year. I really don't think all the "wheelin" I've done with Thelma Jane had anything to do with the fact that those fluids needed changing. If there had been water in there, then, yeah, I guess that would have been due to the wheelin'

This would have been a very easy job to have done myself, but not in this winter weather without a heated, lighted garage. It's a simple matter of removing the drain plug, re-installing it afer the fluids runs out, and re-filling through the fill plug. These plugs are pretty easily accessible, but the t-case fluid runs out onto the t-case skid and then runs out through the holes in the bottom of the skid. So, you have to be prepared to catch the stuff. They had a plastic garbage can lid turned upside down to catch the stuff at the shop today.

The transfer case takes Mopar ATF +4 automatic transmission fluid (1.0 L according to factory service manual) and the tranny gets Mopar Manual Tranmission Lubricant (2.28 L also according to factory service manual).

I bought two quarts of ATF +4 and three quarts of the Manual Transmission Lubricant, and I had a little of each left over. It seemed like the t-case must have taken a little more than the service manual said it would, since a liter is just over a quart, and it took close to two quarts to fill mine.

I went with the Mopar stuff this time, but I have seen posts where people have used substitute lubricants. I just wanted to play it safe, since I am still in the warranty period.

Tom

• jeep_boyjeep_boy Member Posts: 9
    Wow that IS a lot of rambling!!!
    Thank you! :)

Tom

I plan on following the manual for the fluids and it looks like they will need to be changed about each year.

Can you do this at a "Quick Lube" joint or do you need to go to the dealer? We have a Jiffy Lube that has done a good job on our Subaru and they are scads cheaper than our local dealers. I have also been warned to avoid our local Jeep dealer as his shop tends to breed gremlins (Jeeps coming out with mysterious problems that they didn't have going in).
    I would definitely get the fluids at the dealer, and you could ask them what they would charge to change them for you.

If you go to a Quick Lube, you'd better stand there shoulder to shoulder with the guy and make sure he does it right. I wouldn't depend on them to have the right fluids, though. You still ought to get those from the dealer to be sure you are getting the right stuff.

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "It almost goes without saying, but the Rubicon is nearly unstoppable in the rough stuff."

Road Test Follow-Up: 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Steve, Host
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    service gas station for many years until the late 90's. I worked for him for several years as I went through college. The number one problem we used to deal with from the "quickie lube joints" was the stripped drain plugs. Usually some pimply faced high school kid gets carried away with the air gun (Which should NEVER be used for drain plugs). The car leaks and leaks. We would drill out the old plug and then tap and dye some new threads in a larger size and install the new plug and replace the oil. Very messy job...

The other thing we would see is over filled oil. It is interesting to see oil actually spraying up out of the dipstick tube under pressure I tell you...

I go to one of these places now. It is a valvoline place and they do a good job. They probably can't understand why I stand around and "supervise" as they do the work LOL.