Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan: Warranty/Extended Warranty

ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
Starting 2007, powertrain warranties for Ford/Mercury's will be stretched to 5 years, 60K miles, and 6 years, 70K miles for Lincoln.

I've been at pushing this for years if some of you have remembered from earlier posts.

Comments

• badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Good move by Ford, though in my experience with both my 1990 Taurus and my 2000 Taurus, I didn't have a bit of power train problems in the first 60K or 5 years anyways. In fact none on the 1990 Taurus when I sold it at ten years and 98K miles and the 2000 is going good at 58K so far.

This 5/60 warranty will give some peace of mind to some potential consumers, however.
  • snowman89snowman89 Member Posts: 36
    It will also have the sport pkg...which seems like a huge bargain. Also, I just learned powertrain warranties are increasing with the '07s...this is annoying, Ford! Make it retroactive to '06!!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    The extended warranties for the 07's is figured into the price. If you want a longer warranty for you 06, you can buy one....at any Ford dealer...

If you haven't bought that 06 yet, the warranty is quietly being offered on 06's in stock...or that's my understanding, any way...
  • snowman89snowman89 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for the tip...I'll push for it when we pick it up Tuesday. Do you have info in print or on the web somewhere about extending the warranty for 06's? The papers are all signed, but no money has exchanged hands. I also learned that side air bags will be standard in 07, and some of the optional sport pkg equip (the radio upgrade) will be standard on 07 se's. I also read somewhere that the sticker price will only increase about $300-$400. I'm not interested in the extended warranty...even though I tend to drive the wheels off my car before giving them up (but I'd love to drive new every 2-3 years...)
    Ford's recent extending of warranty coverage makes clear it has faith in these vehicles:

http://carreviewsonline.auto123.com/en/info/autonews/index,view.spy?artid=65470
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Ford's recent extending of warranty coverage makes clear it has faith in these vehicles:

Yes! I can't believe that no one is making a big deal out of this either. All we ever heard on these threads is how Ford should step up their warranty if they think they stepped up the quality. Well, here it is. Who's ready to buy now?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A five-year powertrain warranty is no big deal IMO. Now if Ford were to really step up, maybe offer a 5 year comprehensive warranty and a 10-year powertrain warranty--that would be a Big Deal.
    I agree that the new warranty itself isn't a big deal because other makes offer the same thing and have for some time now. But I do think it's a big deal that Ford is now offering it. That says a lot about their new lineup IMO.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    Ford acts to rev up stalled turnaround

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Advertisement

GET FREE HEADLINES BY E-MAIL

Ford Motor Co.

Ford's generous warranty could boost sales and lift resale values, some analysts say. See full image
    Warranties at a glance
    While some warranties may vary within a company, here's a quick look at what warranties automakers are offering.
    DaimlerChrysler AG
    Drivetrain: 3 years/36,000 miles
    Basic: 3 years/36,000 miles
    Roadside service: 3 years/36,000 miles
    Ford Motor Co.
    Drivetrain: From 5 years/60,000 miles to 6 years/70,000 miles
    Basic: 3 years/36,000 miles to 4 years/50,000 miles
    Roadside service: Up to 6 years/70,000 miles
    General Motors Corp.
    Drivetrain: From 3 years/36,000 miles to 5 years/60,000 miles
    Basic: 3 years/36,000 miles to 4 years/50,000 miles
    Roadside service: Up to 4 years/50,000 miles
    Honda Motor Co.
    Drivetrain: 5 years/60,000 miles
    Roadside service: Not offered
    Nissan Motor Co.
    Roadside service: 3 years/36,000 miles
    Toyota Motor Corp.
    Roadside service: Not offered
    Source: Edmunds.com

Ford is increasing the warranty on all of its 2007 Ford and Mercury vehicles to five years or 60,000 miles. In addition, Ford will offer free roadside assistance for the entire warranty period. How important are these benefits when you're shopping for a car?
    Click here to vote

Printer friendly version
    Comment on this story
    Send this story to a friend
    Get Home Delivery
    Ford Motor Co., struggling to gain traction with its North American turnaround effort, announced a series of moves Thursday aimed at cutting costs and boosting sales.

Ford's Board of Directors voted to cut the company's quarterly dividend in half, from 10 cents to 5 cents a share, beginning in the third quarter. The dividend is now at its lowest point since Ford eliminated payments altogether in 1982 and mirrors a 50 percent dividend reduction at General Motors Corp. in February.

Ford's directors also cut their own $200,000-a-year compensation by half. Chairman and CEO Bill Ford Jr. said the moves were necessary to maintain strong liquidity.

Also Thursday, Ford announced that it is extending the standard powertrain warranty on all Ford and Mercury vehicles from three years or 36,000 miles to five years or 60,000 miles. Lincoln's four-year or 50,000-mile standard powertrain warranty is being extended to six years or 70,000 miles. In addition, Ford said it will offer free roadside assistance for the entire warranty period and allow customers to transfer their warranties if they sell their car or truck before the warranty expires.

That makes Ford's warranty package the most generous of any full-line automaker -- a fact it hopes will bring more customers into Ford dealerships, which have seen retail sales drop 9 percent so far this year.

"The headwinds we faced at the beginning of 2006 have only become stronger, as consistently higher gasoline prices in the U.S. have caused consumer purchase preferences to shift away from SUVs and large trucks to smaller cars and crossover vehicles," Bill Ford said in a statement issued after Thursday's board meeting. "While this shift plays positively to our new vehicle offerings, we must still get our costs in line in response to segment adjustments and higher commodity prices that are affecting the company."

But Wall Street said the decision to cut dividends signals bad news ahead as Ford prepares to release its second-quarter financial results next week.

"This certainly suggests that second-quarter earnings are going to be uglier than expected," said Bradley Rubin, vice president of credit research at BNP Paribas in New York. "People are finally realizing at Ford that this turnaround is a little more difficult than they anticipated."

Ford shares closed down 32 cents Thursday to $6.56, a 4.6 percent decline.

"The dividend cut telegraphs the board's mounting concern about the company's performance," said John Casesa of New York's Casesa Shapiro Group LLC. "It's a very pessimistic signal."

The dividend cut is expected to save Ford about $375 million annually.

"Strong liquidity is an important enabler of our ongoing turnaround efforts and this action will make an important contribution," Bill Ford said.

But credit analysts said the move will not change the company's balance sheet enough to boost Ford's weak credit ratings, which have already fallen into junk-bond territory.

"The cash savings are relatively marginal," said Robert Schulz, who follows the company for Standard & Poor's in New York.

Craig Hutson, an analyst with Gimme Credit, said he expects Ford's ratings to sink even deeper.

"It is a sign that the company is acting to shore up its liquidity amid greater headwinds in the industry than it originally anticipated," he said. "A dividend cut is never good news."

But Ford's decision to extend warranties may be good news, at least for consumers.

The five-year or 60,000-mile powertrain warranty being offered on Ford and Mercury cars and trucks is substantially better than the three-year or 36,000-mile warranty offered on all of DaimlerChrysler AG's domestic nameplates and most of General Motors Corp.'s brands. More importantly, it matches the warranties offered by Ford's leading Japanese rivals: Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co., neither of which includes roadside assistance as part of their standard packages.

"Ford is setting its own path," said Cisco Codina, head of North American marketing, sales and service for Ford. "All of this is part of our strategy to become America's car company."

The new warranties, which are effective today, will be applied retroactively to customers who have already purchased 2007 cars and trucks. Moreover, the company said it will offer extended warranties to customers who buy 2006 models. The new warranties apply to all Ford, Mercury and Lincoln vehicles, except for those like Ford's diesel pickups and hybrid SUVs that already featured more attractive terms.

"It definitely gives consumers another reason to look at Ford," said Mike Jackson, an analyst with CSM Worldwide in Farmington Hills.

Boosting warranties addresses one of Ford's biggest product problems -- the resale value of its vehicles. However, the move could increase the company's warranty costs substantially.

Ford's second quarter warranty data shows that 2006 model year per-unit warranty costs are 24 percent less than those for 2005 model vehicles.

"I'm glad that we're leading instead of following," said Kenny Shreve, owner of Kenny Shreve Ford Mercury in McLeansboro, Ill.

"I feel better about Ford today than I have in years."
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Ford's warranty is 0 deductable and fully transferable. This is not the case with the powertrain warranties from other companies.
    Not correct. For example, Hyundai, Kia, and Mitsubishi warrant powertrains with 0 deductible and tranferability for 5 years and 60k miles. In addition, they offer 5 more years and 40k more miles of zero-deductible powertrain warranty to the original purchaser. Suzuki offers 7/70k with 0 deductible and transferability on powertrains. Note Ford qualifies their unique warranty by saying they are the only "full-line" manufacturer to offer this kind of warranty. That doesn't pass the "so what?" test for me.
    wow, what would it take to make you happy, giving you the car for free?

This is such a big deal, especially for a US automaker. This is exactly the right move on fords part. This shows the company is standing behind its product, and could potentially increase resale values of there cars.

They are beating Honda and Toyota with this and its a very important move. Don't make it out to be less than it is. The other automakers you mentioned have only a toehold in the US market. There total warrentee costs for the US pale in comparrison to a full line maker like ford.

This is why its so important that ford did this, and why fords descision is more significant than huyundai or kia.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    If you're comparing a Fusion to a Camry and Accord then it is a big deal. Same with a MkZ vs. TL vs. ES350. Hyundai (not so much lately), Kia, Mitsubish and Suzuki are at or near the bottom in quality so they need the warranty just to get customers to consider them.

Look at it from the other standpoint - they now offer a better powertrain warranty than Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Audi, VW, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Saturn, Scion, Hummer and Saab.
  • theman123theman123 Member Posts: 170
    Look at it from the other standpoint - they now offer a better powertrain warranty than Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, BMW, Mercedes, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Audi, VW, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Saturn, Scion, Hummer and Saab.

Wow !!! Yeah I think this warranty along with great new cars would definitely get allot of people off the fence and into Ford/Mercury/Lincoln showroom in a hurry. I think that this is the biggest news of the automotive year so far. Oh and you should hear how quite the import fans are. The import fans have nothing and I do mean nothing to say. You could hear a pin drop in the Forum. :D
    Oh sure, jump on me just because I try to clarify some misleading info in a post.

I agree is is a good move for Ford. But let's not make more of it than it is. Ford's marketeers are doing a good enough job of that on their own. ;)

And before you talk about "toeholds", I suggest you look at the sales for a few companies, such as Honda, Nissan, and Hyundai/Kia.

Also, if Ford builds good products, their powertrain warranty costs shouldn't be very large, should they?
    Hyundai at or near the bottom of quality compared to Ford? ROFL.

Personally I'd take the four years of free maintenance that BMW offers vs. one more year and 10k more miles of powertrain warranty. Also, I don't see how Ford's 5 year, 60k mile powertrain warranty is better than that from the likes of Honda or Toyota. It seems to me the only major advantage Ford's new program has over companies like that is the free roadside assistance. Which is a nice benefit, but it isn't actually a warranty on the car. It helps you when the car breaks down, however.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Ford's new program has over companies like that is the free roadside assistance. Which is a nice benefit, but it isn't actually a warranty on the car. It helps you when the car breaks down, however.

It also helps with stupidity, you know like locking your keys in the car or running out of gas.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

That too! I've used that benefit twice on my wife's Elantra when she locked the keys in the car (hard to do, you have to remove the keys from the ignition first, then lock the doors, then leave the keys in the car). And it saves about $300 bucks vs. an auto club membership over the five years.
    Of course if Ford had seen fit to include the keypad that comes on other Fords on the driver's door, such a benefit would rarely be necessary, if at all. . .
    Well if someone is of the mind to lock their keys in the car they might not remember the code.

• jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Note Ford qualifies their unique warranty by saying they are the only "full-line" manufacturer to offer this kind of warranty.

Yeah, I had to laugh when I read that.

The power train warranty is a nice extra. Giving a longer warranty is typically something that has been done when buyers do not trust the product...eg. Hyundai and before that it was Chyrsler with the 7 yr/70,000 mile power train warranty.

I would like it if there were an option for fewer miles and more years on all these warranties, though. Since I only drive maybe 8000 miles per year, 5 years is only be about 40,000 miles for me.

Is it just coincidence that mazda is changing from their 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty to this same warranty structure?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    we live by the code. the only problem is that after you own a few, you can get confused as to the current code. then call your wife/husband/whatever, as long as you didn't lock the phone in there too. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    So change the secondary code of all the vehicles you own to be the same...that is if you trust the wife/kids/dog, etc.!

I still think Ford erred in not including the doorpad on Fusion/Milan.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    from what i remember, you can only add digits to the code.
    ford does sell an add on keypad.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Hyundai at or near the bottom of quality compared to Ford? ROFL.

Gee - hard to tell you own a Hyundai.

I did qualify that with "not so much lately". Hyundai quality is much improved (nowhere else they could go but up). But the fact remains that Ford is above average in long term dependability and Hyundai is below average. Kia, Suzuki and Mitsubishi are at or near the bottom. See for yourself.

I wouldn't put to much stock in those figures. It just says problems per vehicle, doesn't say what those problems are. A model with one problem per vehicle is worse than one with two problems per vehicle if that one problem is the engine exploding verses a couple of knobs falling off.

So point us to a reliability rating system that takes that into account. JD Power is THE industry standard.

I bet if the same survey showed Hyundai above Ford you'd be singing a different tune.

Not hard to tell who the Hyundai owners are in this forum.
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Based upon the dependability results displayed on this particular chart, I sure would hate to think that I had went out and dropped a huge amount of cash on an Audi, Mercedes-Benz, or Land Rover product! :) Also, I was pleased to see that Ford came in above the industry average.

Regarding the increased powertrain warranty duration that Ford is now offering, there is absolutely no doubt that this is a step in the right direction for improving their North American sales.

Ron M.
    So point us to a reliability rating system that takes that into account.

I don't know of one that does. But that doesn't diminish what I said.

I bet if the same survey showed Hyundai above Ford you'd be singing a different tune.

If you do make that bet don't put your rent money on it because you would lose. But that doesn't diminish what I said.

CR's annual study is weighted by type of problem. Take a look at the scores for Fords vs. Hyundais in their 2006 survey and tell us what you see--which brand scores better overall?

Also, 18th from the bottom is a long ways from "at or near the bottom." And a difference of 231 to 250 is hardly a big difference. Kia, Land Rover, Mini... they have some catching up to do. They are "at or near the bottom." Hyundai is not.

Not hard to tell who the Ford owners are in this forum. ;)

P.S. As long as JD Power is "the industry standard", you probably noticed how Ford fared in their latest IQS, vs. the likes of Hyundai. But since that survey shows Hyundai above Ford (which was below average), perhaps you will sing a different tune?

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2006082
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    JD Power is the industry standard!!!??? YOu have got to be kidding. Their longterm reliability is based on 3 years of ownership. Hardly long term. No survey (not even CR) is the industry standard. They all have flaws and should only be used as a tool.

Ford needed this warranty to help sell cars. Sales are down and they need to restore consumer confidence in their vehicles. The Fusion is a nice vehicle, very competitive with the top selling cars (take note GM). It will need this boost to compete with the Camry and Accord. These are formidable cars, great sales, resale value and history of reliabilty (or at least you know you won't be upside down after 2 years). With the warranty, it gives folks a reason to give Ford a chance. The problem with marketing tools like this is if quality is still not up to par, what do you do for an encore?
    This particular JD Power study was 5 yrs, not 3. The JD Power survey is much more statistically accurate than CR. CR only surveys subscribers, not a random sample of owners, and they don't publish actual numbers of problems - only circles.

Granted it doesn't tell you which ones are more costly to repair but it does tell you how many problems occurred which is important.

And the newer Ford vehicles like the Mustang, 500 and Fusion are even better than the 5 yr old models used for the Power survey.

I'm not bashing Hyundai - they're a solid player with solid products. But they're not better than Ford - yet.
    IQS is meaningless IMO (and that's without looking at who ranks where - doesn't matter). If we only owned cars for 90 days I guess it would be pertinent. Would you rather have 3 problems in the first 90 days and no more for 5 years or have 0 in the first 90 days and 10 more over the next 5 years?

IQS is important to the mfrs because a bad rating means you might be pissing off new customers or you either have a dealer problem or assembly issue that needs to be addressed. But consumers should be looking at 3-5 yr ratings.
    I'm not bashing Hyundai - they're a solid player with solid products. But they're not better than Ford - yet.

I have owned Fords and I have owned Hyundais, with the possible exception of the Mustang I will stick with Hyundai.

I disagree that the IQS is "meaningless". In my experience with many new cars, most problems surfaced in the first 90 days. Thus I find the IQS useful, if not the complete picture. I like to know about things like dealer issues, design issues (captured by the IQS), and assembly issues.

BTW, the VDS covers three years, as noted in the report's press release:

The study, which measures problems experienced by original owners of 3-year-old (2002 model-year) vehicles, provides useful information to both consumers and the automotive industry on long-term vehicle quality.

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2005089

It will be interesting to see what the IQS score of the Fusion/Milan is. I doubt the 2006 study included them, or many of them. Also, a new VDS should be out any day now; the last one was released in June 2005. But that one may not include any Fulans yet; it will probably cover 2003-05 vehicles.
    I also have issues with CR don't trust it one bit for reasons I won't get into now. But another question on IQS is how much more likely is someone going to report a minor problem if they own a $85k Land Rover over a $17K Ford?

I don't know. They don't seem to have any trouble reporting issues with $15k Kias and $20k Minis! ;)
    Sorry - that study was 3 yrs so it was looking at 2002 model year vehicles. They used to do a 5 yr study.

Based on the lack of problems being reported on the Mustang, 500/Montego/Freestyle and Fusion/Milan/Zephyr I think Ford will be moving up the charts over the next several years.

Let's face it - unless you're at the very top or the very bottom there's not a huge difference. The worst cars today are better than the best cars 20 yrs ago.
    No they don't but when you buy a $85K car you tend to notice and/or complain about more mundane things. There might be something that an owner of a 15K kia might not notice that a owner of a $85K Rover would complain about.

You spend $85K for a car you expect it to be perfect.

Lexus owners don't seem to have that problem. Let's face it, based on the JD Power survey some luxury makes like Land Rover and Mercedes-Benz seem to have some problems. But now back to our regularly-scheduled topic...
    The biggest problem with MB has been the electronics. They simply got too complicated in a quest for electronic gadgetry supremacy.

And a lot of Hummer buyers are reporting poor fuel mileage as a problem which might also be the case for LR. I guess they don't read the EPA numbers on the sticker.
    And a lot of Hummer buyers are reporting poor fuel mileage as a problem

What? A 4.3 ton Army truck getting bad gas mileage????? Alert the news media!!!!

I'll bet your average Lexus has a lot of electronics too. There are lots of excuses for poor quality.
    I'll bet your average Lexus has a lot of electronics too.

Yes but nowhere near as much as MB.

http://www.autoserviceworld.com/article.asp?id=31153&issue=06012004

A Mercedes-Benz electronics vice president recently told an innovation symposium that it had already removed 600 electronic functions from its cars and that the process continues.
    In a 20-minute address, Stephan Wolfsried spoke against overloading the car with electronic functions that have no use for the customer.
    "Last year we removed over 600 functions from our cars - functions that no one really needed and no one knew how to use," Wolfsried said, according to Automotive News Europe.
    Because of failing integration into the overall electronics infrastructure, they only tend to cause the malfunctioning of really important electronic parts, he said.
    And a lot of Hummer buyers are reporting poor fuel mileage as a problem which might also be the case for LR. I guess they don't read the EPA numbers on the sticker.

That is precicely what the problem is (But Hummer isn't built by Land Rover BTW). I remember reading news stories from USAToday and the likes reporting the same thing.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Statistically accurate??? I disagree but that is another debate in another forum. I equate JD Power to Motor Trend's Car of the Year. Great for marketing but nothing else. Just my opinion.

the best way to determine is talk to a trusted mechanic. Someone who knows cars and has worked on them and has access to more data then you and I.

Ford's new cars are very nice. the warranty will help. You only go to extended warranties when there is a consumer confidence issue. Hyundai had to do after the disatrous Excel of the 80's and 90's. Chrylser had to do it to restore faith in their transmissions. The good thing is Ford does have some good products on the lot and in the pipeline. Of course it does not help today's owners and their bad experiences influences future sales more than an extended warranty.

Ford has to really step it up with the engines and reliability. No excuse (other than pre-exisitng contracts that needed to be fulfilled) to introduce the 500 and Freestyle with a leftover Taurus engine. They should be embarassed by the Freestar. NO better than the troublesome Windstar and a 4.2 L engine that only produces 201 hp and worst fuel efficiency then the leaders. Too many reported trannies dying at only 40k miles and Ford is not backing the owners. The Explorer at one time was the definition of the mid-size SUV. No longer. Go read that forum and see all the problems brewing there. the Focus....let's not go there.

Like you mention, Mustang, 500 and Fusion are better but only time will tell how they hold up. Is this enough to stop the bleeding?
    what he really meant to say was that Germans can't make a good car anymore, and that they will let Lexus surpass them on the electronics front, because they can't take the time and effort that it takes to fully think ideas through, and implement them successefully.

These electronics could have helped reduce weight and effeciency of the cars, now that MB cars are getting degenerated to the state of other cars in the marketplace, they will loose there last toehold to the reputation the three pointed star once had.

Its OK, GM and Toyota will take over. Meybe Lincoln if ford does the right thing, and cans all the luxury divisions nameplates and makes Lincoln the size and scope of MB, bieng made in facotries were all the jags and LR's are made.

It will also reduce costs.

And to the naysayers about the warrentee, please buy a 2007 Camry, be sure to go to a dealer whos next to a good mechanic ;)
    Hummer isn't built by Land Rover BTW

I never said they were. I was saying that some of the "problems" being reported by LR owners might be poor fuel mileage just like the Hummer owners.
    How can the opinion of 1 mechanic be more statistically accurate than a random sample of 50,000 car owners?

They had a really good excuse for releasing the 500 with the 3.0L engine - the 3.5 was 2 years late to market and they needed new cars. Same with the Zephyr. Why the 3.5L was 2 years late is another discussion. Ford does seem to be taking a long time to get things to market. I suspect the delays are partially responsible for the increased quality but at some point you have to speed things up.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    My credit union acts as an intermediary for extended warranties. So I can compare prices on identical warranties for different cars. Since the warranty company is in business to make money, I think this is a pretty good indicator.

For their most comprehensive, 7 year/100,000 mile, no deductible warranty price is $1292 for Fusion/Milan and $1020 for Honda Accord. Ford seems to be doing very well on this to get a price that close to one of the benchmarks for reliable cars.