Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan: Warranty/Extended Warranty

2»

Comments

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    Question are these factory backed warranties or third party?

Also I wouldn't use the price of the extended warranty as the only gauge of reliability. It could be a big mistake.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    3rd party.

It is one gauge...not the only one. It does have the advantage of including some measure of the significance of problems because it looks at cost not number of problems. OTOH, it soes not tell you if car was in 25 times under warranty.

"Reliability" is not really an issue I pay much attention too. Almost all cars are pretty reliable these days. IF the extended warranty cost is way out of line then it is a concern...ran into that when my wife considered a Jaguar x-type.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    3rd party.

Since 3rd party warranty companies have a nasty habit of denying claims or even closing shop before you even have a chance of having a claim I would trust them as a gauge at all.

It is one gauge...not the only one. It does have the advantage of including some measure of the significance of problems because it looks at cost not number of problems.

Here lies another problem, if the extended warranty costs more does it really mean that they are less reliable? Extending a Honda warranty to 7 years 100K miles only extends it by 2 years and 40K miles for the drive train, but for 4 years 64K miles for the Ford (until recently but I am presuming your figures are not up to the second figures) so I would expect Fords to be more since its a longer warranty.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    The 3rd party providing the warranty was selected by the credit union to provide a benefit to their members. I doubt they selected a company with a history of not paying claims. But, in any case, they must have some basis for setting different prices for different cars.

Yes, the prices were before Ford's announcement of the new warranty. When did Honda go to 5 year power train warranty? I was not aware of that...but yes differences in mfr warranty should be factored in. And you are right this makes the Ford quote look even better.

Most cars I have gotten rates for do not vary all that much they are mostly between that Honda figure and about $1500...this is not enough to be a factor in my car buying decisions. So most cars are reliable enough that reliability is a non-factor for me.

The exception was the X-type. The warranty was only available for 6 years and 80,000 miles for that car and the cost was close to $3000, IIRC...despite the fact that it had 4 yr mfr warranty. In that case the extended warranty information was a factor in deciding against the vehicle.

Warrnty cost is more meaningful to me than things like the number of JD Powers "problems" per 100 vehicles or CR's self-selected self-reported data on "problems". But, I think all of these things taken together can give a pretty good idea, especially if they all are telling you the same thing.
  • Options
    oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    In the case of the X-Type, you should have checked Jag's extended warranty program. I just bought an 06 with the Extra Mile Jag warranty for 7years-100K miles. Cost me $2400. AAA's extended warranty quote was $3800 for less coverage. Got a couple other quotes from reputable warranty firms - both were in the $1600 range, but, had higher deductables, and, lesser coverage than Jag's warranty. I also got a quote on an extended factory warranty on my Chrysler - they wanted $3k to extended it on my Sebring!!
  • Options
    In the case of the X-Type, you should have checked Jag's extended warranty program.

I don't actually buy extended warranties, just using them as one data point for determining expected "reliability". In Jaguar's case there were plenty of other warning signs that the X-type was having a lot of problems, when we were considering one in late 2004. As I recall, it was off the charts in negative territory in CR for example. There were other reasons we decided against the car too, despite the pricing of $6000 below invoice at that time.

I just bought an 06 with the Extra Mile Jag warranty for 7years-100K miles. Cost me $2400.

Probably a good idea with a Jag :lemon: :) . I do not like extended warranties in general...I'd rather keep the money and pay for repairs myself. In addition, extended warranties do not do a lot for us, since we do not put that many miles on. Maybe 8000 per year...so even a 7 year warranty only gives us 56,000 miles.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    let's agree to disagree on JD Powers. I have my reasons after studying their methods and participating in a couple of their surveys. CR has it flaws but I trust it more than JD Powers. Each is simply one tool in the car buying process. I trust my mechanic even more. Amazing what you can learn in casual conversations with people.

I understand why they released the 500 with the 3.0 L engine but I would not call it a good excuse. Instead they release a decent car when they needed an AWESOME car which it would have been with the 3.5L. This is why the Fusion is so appealing. They had all the right pieces for the launch. Whether it holds up, only time wil tell. The longer warranty will definitely help the Fusion since it already is competitive with the top cars.

Ford is in the same boat as GM. The market changed quickly and neither one was prepared. They were fat and happy off their SUV and pickup sales of the 90's. They both need to change how they operate. it's not the 50's or even the 80's anymore. There are more choices on the market. their companies have to be leaner and more adaptable. they are no longer the innovators. Both have allowed labor and contract issues to dictate their product line instead the product itself. Both companies still have a lot of work to do, it will get uglier before it gets better.

The good thing for Ford is they have good products (500, Fusion, Mustang, even the Freestyle) on the lot. I can't say the same for GM. No reason for me to visit a Chevy, Saturn, Buick or Pontiac dealership.
  • Options
    snowman89snowman89 Member Posts: 36
    I took delivery of our '06 Fusion SE last nite and was informed that '06 Ford vehicles sold on or after 7/14 would be given the 5 yr / 60K extended powertrain warranty which makes me a very happy customer from the start. Other domestic car makers should folllow Ford's lead in this area. Love the car so far...very roomy, quiet, and comfortable. Someone asked about a/c operation at very high temperatures...does it work effectively?
  • Options
    exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    to see you like your car. This new warrentee should help drive people to the brand. I hope people take notice.
  • Options
    dlangdlang Member Posts: 59
    Per Ford, "A 2006 Model Year Ford vehicle sold on or after July 14, 2006 will be covered by a complimentary 5year/60,000 Mile Ford ESP PowertrainCARE extended service contract with a $100 deductible."

So, those of us who bought a 2006 Milan pre-7/14/06 we get nothing? Why not a 4 year/40K? If you bought on 7/13/06 you got 3/36 and on 7/14/06 you get 5/50. Should be something for those who bought in early 2006.

Ford should thank us for early buying the gas guzzling Milan and losing more money on gas sooner than newer purchasers!
  • Options
    neile457neile457 Member Posts: 65
    I just purchased on 06 Fusion with the 72 0%. They sold me a 6/60000 esp, stating I was only getting a 3/36. Is that right, or did they screw me? I paid $900 for the esp, but should I have gotten the 5/50000 free?
  • Options
    dlangdlang Member Posts: 59
    The 3/36 is Bumper-to-Bumper, 5/60 is just for addiitional Powertrain. Seems like you purchased a 5/60 B2B. See Ford.com for exact meanings of coverage.

I have a table of Ford early 2006 ESP prices from my previous dealer. Supposedly these are standard prices that all dealers charge. At the time, I extended my 2003 Sable 3/36 B2B, at lease end, to 6/60 B2B for $1350. If I find the table, I can calculate the difference between Ford 5/60 B2B and 5/60 Powertrain ESPs to see if it was $900 or more which is what you paid for an additional 2/24 of B2B coverage above Powertrain. That $900 may be high.

Ask dealer service rep to see current table. The best value was at 6/60, go to 6/75 or 7/60 (years and mileage are independent) and pay a-lot more.
  • Options
    jwjhjwjh Member Posts: 1
    Bought my Fusion in Aug 2012 new and noticed visibility problems with my windshield. On close inspection there were little quarter-sized areas that looked like the glass did not laminate fully (air pockets?). Took it back to the Ford dealer after 1 month and they agreed the windshield was damaged but said it was "acid rain" and not covered by warranty. Called Ford Customer service and got the exact same response. I never heard of acid rain attacking glass, and several chemists have told me it is very unlikely. The paint looks fine, no damage. Has anyone else had a similar problem with Ford windows?