Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Wecome to the board! As far as the 5 speed vs. auto - personally I think that any woman (or guy for that matter) should know how to drive a stick. On the other hand, spouses should not try to teach their other half how to do it (or much of anything). Keep your marriage intact, have someone else teach her (from someone who tried to teach my other half how to ride a horse (disaster) and a motorcycle (partly successful - he already knew about clutches).

Depreciation - Just about every car depreciates. Some more than others. My 2000 Tacoma is worth less than my '98 Wrangler (last time I looked the Tacoma was worth just over $1,000 less than the Wrangler, even though the Wrangler is over 100,000 miles and the Tacoma is under 100,000).
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    "Used or new, just get a JEEP! Ain't nothin' like em!"

Very true! When I first posted here, asking about used Wranglers, the people on this board were helpful about towing tips, engines, trannies, etc. At the time I was looking for a Jeep mainly for towing and weekend use. Wrong! My 8 month old luxo-wagon is in the garage collecting dust (my son wrote "wash me, use me" in the dust), while the Jeep has become the family workhorse. Love it!
    Likalar
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    "Hey if Momma wants you to get an automatic, that must mean Momma plans on driving it, and if she wants to drive a Jeep, she must be a pretty cool lady! (I would still try to talk her into the five speed, though.)"

She is a cool lady. When I owned my YJ I tried to teach her, however, the seat didn't pull forward enough for her to fully depress the clutch. She got very discouraged. Don't think she has the patience to try again. Maybe the seats in the TJ have more travel though.

The fountain of youth can only be found in a Jeep:)

Rich
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    Hey, determine the difference between the cost of the auto v/s the 5 spd and ask the Mrs. if she would take that amount as compensation for letting you get into the 5 spd.

I love having a stick and in a pinch, it can really get that stock 6 cyl. hauling. Of course while doing this you can watch your gas gauge drop in real time, but sometimes it's necessary to "move it".

We have three small children (elementary school) and they love off-roading, especially mud. It is surprising how much they actually pay attention to the trail ahead. Plus, this will let you access areas that their little legs would have trouble hiking/biking to.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "......I love having a stick and in a pinch, it can really get that stock 6 cyl. hauling......"

Don't forget that with the auto you can select and hold the gears manually. Holding first and second till you hit the limiter will give acceleration that most people don't realize is there.
    Twylie is correct, you need two keys to program up to six more. So, $20 (eBay) plus $25 (dealer programming) for your first one, then $20 a key thereafter.
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    choice to go with my new Alpine system. I really did not want to give up much space and the factory sub in the console is too expensive (have to replace the whole console). I decided to go with the Mopar Sound Deck. I got it on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2401151928&category=6775 new for $199.

I can't wait to install it this weekend. I was never looking for HEavy kicking bass, I just want to fill out the sound.

I will report my results once I get it installed and working.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Man, please keep us informed on your progress in getting a Jeep. You have read lots of the posts in here, you said, so you KNOW I get excited when anyone gets a Jeep.

Good luck!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • leafchildleafchild Member Posts: 24
    Hi I'm the proud owner of a brand new Sahara, and I'm so clueless, I probably don't deserve one. I know it's been discussed a number of times before, but just double checking.... One of the tops on the dual top NEED to be removed, correct?? At least that's what the little video and the manual says. I intend to keep on the hard top for now. The dealer says I don't need to take the soft top out and that there is no difference whether I store the soft top within the vehicle as they come, or if I go through the ordeal to take it out and store it elsewhere.

I'm confused. Help!!

Otherwise I *LOVE* my new wheels. :D

Thanks for your input.
    WELCOME AND CONGRATS ON THE NEW JEEP!

I didn't get the dual top option, but I would CERTAINLY go with what DC says rather than what the dealer says.

Everyone I have heard about that got the dual top option took one of the tops off right away, like they tell ya to do.

Those soft tops are too expensive to take a chance on damaging them by leaving them in there with the hard top on. They plainly tell ya that they do that from the factory strictly for shipping purposes.

Tom

Tom is correct. DC built the Jeep, wrote the manual, and filmed the video. Your dealer placed an order, received the vehicle, and collected your money. Who's information should you place most credence in?

Anyhow, the soft top isn't too hard to store (you could put it behind the sofa). :-)
    I'm only 5' tall and have short legs (small enough to enjoy riding ponies) and I have no problems handling the clutch in my TJ. In fact, I don't have the seat all the way forward - it is out a notch. But I wouldn't push it if she's really reluctant.

The only YJ I ever test drove was an auto, so I can't speak about them. I do remember having problems reaching the starter button in the old Army Jeeps, but that was more because I have small feet and couldn't always reach it and the clutch too. Does anyone beside oceantoad remember those days?
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    "DaimlerChrysler Corp. president Dieter Zetsche wants to build the auto maker's new, flexible assembly plant in Ontario, but raised the possibility yesterday that the company could choose Mexico if a deal can't be reached with suppliers and Canadian governments. ........
    The new plant is slated to assemble the Dodge M80 compact pickup truck, a compact sport utility vehicle off the same platform, or basic underbody, possibly the next version of the Jeep Wrangler SUV and perhaps a pickup for Hyundai Motor, another auto maker in the DaimlerChrysler AG family."
          Mike's Totally Free Jeep News

I hate to see such an American icon being assembled outside the US, but my guess is I won't care much for the next generation of wrangler anyway and will probably continue driving my current TJ until they bury me in it.
  • lvcheflvchef Member Posts: 52
    Boy I hope it doesn't look like the Liberty!! The old Cherokee was a GREAT Jeep, and sadly enough they replaced it with a Soccer Mom style Jeep. I hope they dont do the same to the Wrangler.
    I really hope they don't change much as far as styling, because the Wrangler is one of the most unique cars around. Just about everything else looks alike to me - it is either a truck, an enclosed truck (most SUVs) or a car.

Hope that everyone has a good weekend wherever you are, and that the weather is nice. I'm going to be camping on the beach, enjoying our hot weather (it was over 90 in some spots today). They are talking about the weather might change next week - maybe we will be lucky enough to get some snow. My snowshoes are getting dusty!
    Where are posts 8148 and 8149? The screen I'm looking at right now jumps from 8147 to 8150.

?

Tom

• luca1luca1 Member Posts: 29
    I happen to like the styling of the Liberty, even more so than the old Cherokee. I happen to have a Liberty and I love everything about it and I am not a soccer mom. I also love Wranglers and with any luck ,I will have one in the not too distant future. Don't want my Liberty to get lonesome

I most definitely hugged my Jeep today !!
    wendy
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Tom, we had a jerk spamming vile all over the boards a couple of hours ago - thus the housecleaning. Trust me, you didn't miss anything and hopefully he won't reregister before legal can get on the stick Monday morning ....

Steve, Host
    So, that darn Tidester was at it again, huh? :)

Tom

I think it should be very obvious to everyone how much I love this message board and all the folks that post here, but I also like to go to other sites too.

When I invite people to Gill's place (itsajeep.org), I am by no means trying to drag people away from here. Gill's site is non-commercial and in NO WAY competes with Edmunds. I have actually brought people TO Edmunds FROM Gill's... people that never even heard of Edmunds.

Hope this clears up any misunderstandings, if there were any.

Tom

I'm sure the Rich Man didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. :)

It's just that the Liberty is really NOT a replacement for a Cherokee. They are fine vehicles, I'm sure, but they are not equal to the Cherokee for offroading purposes. Looks to me like they must be smaller too. Why didn't DC offer the Liberty and KEEP the Cherokee? They are really two different classes of vehicles, each good in its own way.

For some people's use, the Liberty would be the better choice, and for other people's use the Cherokee would be the better choice. They really aren't comparable.

Tom

Sorry, I didn't intend to upset anyone with my comments about the Liberty. My wife used to have a Cherokee and when her lease was up we went looking at Jeeps.The Liberty was the perfect replacement for our Cherokee. My wife took one look at it a and said NO!! She felt it looked like the Honda CRV, Rav4 or a Kia. The Cherokee to me was a true off road vehicle. We checked into the Grand Cherokee and it was too expensive. We ended up buying a Toyota 4 Runner. What I dont understand is why Jeep didn't build the 4 door Wrangler prototype ( I cant remember what it is called). It was shown at a lot of Auto Shows and had a huge following and demand. It was Tan and had a Land Rover Defender 90 look. It just seems to me that Jeep took the trail most traveled when it came to styling for the Liberty. I just hope the Wrangler doesn't look anything like the Liberty or i am going to be driving a 2002 TJ for the next 30 years.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    So, that darn Tidester was at it again, huh? :)

Do you mean spamming or housecleaning??? ;-)

tidester, host
    You mean you aren't the spammer Steve was talking about? :)

Tom
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    LOL Tom. The hosts have their own special way of spamming, but Tidester is innocent here :-)

Hey everybody, check out January's Letters to the Editors! One writer even owns a Wrangler!

(Spammy enough for you Tom? <G>)

Steve, Host
    POST!

Too quiet in here!
  • luca1luca1 Member Posts: 29
    No worries. I agree that the Cherokee should not have been discontinued. The Grand Cherokee was bit more than I wanted to spend and the Wrangler wasn't what I wanted for an everyday vehicle. I tet drove the Cherokee and didn't care for the ride. Now after finding out how much fun the Wrangler is, I'm seriuosly looking to get one for the fun of it. Especially after coming to this board and finding out how much everyone loves theirs.

Thanks !!!
    wendy
  • mrb95mrb95 Member Posts: 6
    I am faced with a problem, I am in the market for a new car and am trying to decide between the Jeep Wrangler and the new Honda Element. I keep leaning towards either vehicle, and can't make up my mind. Here's the facts. Both vehicles are around the same price. I would probably get a Jeep Wrangler SE with some options which would bring the price around 20 grand. The Honda Element runs at about that as well. The real problem is practicality. I know the Element is so much more practical in terms of just about everything(cargo, p/l/w, gas mileage etc.) But what always seems to bring me back to the jeep is the soft top itself; the fact that it is the only good looking convertible suv, ( I hate the look of chevy trackers). So what should I go with practicality, or go with pure fun!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, if you want a Honda Element, why not buy a BIG box of Legos and build one yourself? :)
    Seriously, you are comparing apples and mutated oranges. No doubt the Honda will be more practical and economical to operate. That said, I bet it's dead-nuts BORING to drive. On the other hand, if you want a Wrangler I'd advise looking for an X, Sport, or Sahara- even if you have to buy a used 2002 or 2001. The six isn't much more thirsty than the four and it has tons more grunt. And shop around; lots of dealers are selling at invoice or below, so a $20K X or Sport is a possible option.
    Thank God you came here! We may have caught you in time!

Practicality or fun? FUN, FUN, FUN!

I gave up a really nice, almost new Grand Prix GT to get my Jeep, and I have not for one second regretted it! There just ain't nothin' like a Jeep!

I hope you will read LOTS of the posts in here, cause it will give you a real good idea of how much we all love our Jeeps.

Driving a Jeep is the most fun you'll ever have with your clothes on.

Live it up. Take several years off of your age. GET A JEEP!

Tom

I have to admit as much I debate about which car to get, my heart is truly with the Jeep, it just looks like to much fun to drive!! The only reason I would get the SE is for the better gas mileage.
    Hold the phone! The SE MIGHT get about one mile per gallon better gad mileage than the Sport. There just is not any real differnce in the gas mileage between the four and the six cylinder engines, but there is a world of difference in power out on the highway. If you are going to do much highway driving, then by all means get the six cylinder.

Hey I am in a chat room right now with another Jeeper, so come on and ask any questions you might have.

http://itsajeep.org

Click on "chat"

Tom

I am working on a little web page for folks who are in the market for new Wranglers and don't know which model or major options like top, engine, or axles to get. Even though it isn't finished, I could sent you what I have so far, if you want to email me. I will send it to you as an html file. You can read the text but you won't see the picture.

My email is tjoh298765@aol.com

Tom

• larry18larry18 Member Posts: 48
    What type if driving do you plan to do with either vehicle? There is really no comparison between the two as one is designed solely for highway use and the other works equally well off-road. There is no comparison between a full-time system and a part-time system with 4lo.

Larry
  • earsears Member Posts: 20
    Hi all! I need a couple of OEM parts for my jeep. For example it&#146;s missing the rubber tray that fits on the dash. Are there on-line OEM dealers that sell at discounted prices?

eARS
  • geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    Figure out how many miles you drive per year, difference in gas mileage between the 4 cylinder vs the 6 cylinder and you'll see you really don't save that much $$ by going with the SE. (There isn't much difference in gas mileage actually.)Sacrificing a latte a day to get the 4.0 liter is well worth it, believe me. It is twice the fun the 4 cylinder would be.

You know, I actually don't care much about cars but for some reason, that weird Jeep puts a smile on my face.

Gary
    ideas for your new buyers guide here:
    http://www.visi.com/~tam/tjfaq.html#sec2_5
    My wife currently drives a Ford Windstar. With 2 kids it is ideal. Soon they will have their own cars and be off to college. We have a cabin on the mountains and she wants a little more mobility and ground clearance than a minivan. She really likes the Liberty and it will do everything she wants.

I look at the flip side of the debate: If it gets my wife into a Jeep it can't be all bad!

HMM, wonder if a Liberty can be lifted, Ford 8.8 rear end, Lockers, Skid plates, heheheh
    I just cant seem to get into a Liberty, as a man that is. It reminds me of something Barbie drives. The older Cherokee was a True "mans" vehicle. It had rough and tough wrote all over it. The Liberty looks like a big top heavy bubble. Liberty makes Jeeps image look soft, but I bet it sells and as a company thats what they needed to do. Although the Cherokee was the #1 seller in its class. It was reliable, tough, and inexpensive. Before the Liberty came out I read about it on other boards and a common thing that was said about it was it was DC's first Jeep, thus the name KJ or "Kraut Jeep"..I miss my Cherokee...
    This is not to offend anyone, but just one mans opinion...
    Wow! That guy that made that FAQ really went into details! He must have many, many hours invested in that. What I have been putting together will be much more general and only cover the very major options, like model, engine, axles, and tops. My page would be a logical lead-in to that page. I could put that link on my page and refer people to it if they want more details than I give on my page.

I have not read all of that page, but I can see that it was mainly written for info on the 97 and 98 TJs, even though the title indicates it is for the 97-02 Wranglers. There is no mention of the 3.73 gears in the axle section, since they were not available when the page was written. DC went from 3.55 to 3.73 at some point after the guy created that page, and he has not updated that part.

He also was saying in that page that you HAVE to get Trac Loc if you get the Dana 44, which may have been true back then, but it is not true now. Thelma Jane has the Dana 44 and does not have Trac Loc.

I don't mean to be putting down the guy's page, but it is important that people realize that some of that info is outdated. I think it would still be very useful to someone who knows very little about Wranglers and wants to learn about the various options. The user would just have to be mindful that some of the options may have changed.

I am going to have to remember to put a disclaimer in my page about possible changes in the options, so that people will know that they need to check out the info for themselves to be sure it is still current when they are ready to get their Jeep.

Tom

I guess we'll have to call Wendy "Patricia Henry." (Patrick Henry said "Give me Liberty or give me death.") :)

Wendy, you stick to your guns and enjoy that Liberty. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

It is just a SHAME that they stopped producing the XJ (Cherokee) when they started producing the Liberty. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME VEHICLE! Just like you said, Rich.

I have wheeled with many XJs, and those boys could go ANYWHERE I went in my Wrangler. The Cherokee was a great vehicle for someone who needed some passenger and cargo room that the Wrangler doesn't afford, but also wanted something to take out on the trails.

We shouldn't even be talking about the Cherokee and the Liberty in the same discussions. And this is NOT to put down the Liberty. I'm sure they have their niche too, but NOT the same niche as the Cherokee, for Pete's sake!

I guess it's because DC made the Liberty and quit making the Cherokee at the same time that people are always comparing the two.

Tom

a good idea to note with a disclaimer that some things have changed options-wise. You might note that and then add his page to yours as a link...
    I am taking it to the guys who installed my stereo today so I can get it wired up (I don't feel confident in doing it right since the instructions are for a stock Jeep stereo and not the Alpine...)

Hope to report nice BASS soon!!
    It is supposed to get up to 65° here today, and I am NOT wheelin'! BUMMER BUMMER BUMMER

I couldn't find anyone to hook up with, and I am afraid to drive all the way down to Turkey Bay (70 miles) and take a chance on hooking up after I get there. This time of year that would be too risky. Heck, even in the summertime it's sometimes hard to find someone down there to hook up with.

Ross Allen is disappointed too.

Well, guess I'll give Thelma Jane a good bath today. That way the nice weather won't go totally to waste.

Thelma needs a real good cleaning inside too. There is still mud on the INSIDE of the windshield from some wheelin' I did several weeks ago! I have not cleaned her up on the inside in ages.

Tom

"You know, I actually don't care much about cars but for some reason, that weird Jeep puts a smile on my face.

Gary"

So, you've never gotten too excited over vehicles, but you can't help the smile on your face over your Jeep? Well, I, on the other hand, have always been so excited over vehicles that I think my goal must have been to own one of each kind ever made the way I traded so often. But, like you, I have that Jeep smile too.

So, whether you are a car enthusiast or not, you just can't help being excited over a Jeep!

I just gave Thelma Jane her bath, and I am going to go back out and do some cleaning inside the cab. She sure needs the attention inside, but she is looking good outside now.

Tom

• tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    I bought some new speakers from Crutchfield to compliment the Pioneer CD unit I just put in. I went with Infinity Reference 4x6's in the dash, and upgraded to larger 6 1/2" units for the sound bar. Crutchfield doesn't recommend anything larger than O.E. size speakers in the sound bar but the Infinity speaker web site said they would fit. It turns out I had to drill 4 new holes for the mounting screws for each speaker plus trim a small amount of excess fabric around each opening. The openings measure just under 5 inches diameter and the new speakers require at least 5 inches but the padding and fabric hold the speaker just below the metal surface, so I didn't have to enlarge the openings. And so far I'm happy with the sound quality. And lots more power to compete with top down wind noise! Rock on!-Tjray
    Hey, I just looked at your profile and saw that you are from Claremore, OK. Good old Larry18 is from Checotah, is that anywhere close to you? Thought maybe you and Larry could hook up sometime.

Tom

What's the chances of a diesel wrangler being put into production in the near future. What would be the pros/cons involved, obviously a major pro would be increased gas mileage, but what else?
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    I live close to Tulsa, not really near Checotah. For some pics of our local wheelin areas, look at a local club web site, extreme4wheelin.com The Langley-Disney area has rock crawling and trails, and is one of my favorites. I went on the January run to Salina with this club (I rode with a friend in the red CJ-see Salina pics) as my TJ is not that extreme,yet. Wheel it or buy a minivan- Tjray
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    I'm still reading about TJs. I really want one, forget the Cherokee. Turns out, I don't really like the squareness of it. I certaily hae NOT done enough research on it, for me to know that the TJ is right for me. Notice that I have changed my profile. My new "Wanted" car is a 1997 Jeep Wrangler. My AOL Buddy Icon has also changed to a "Jeep". I'm unsure as to which one they are trying to imitate, but I think it's a CJ.

kelleyo, that TJ FAQ was quite informative. That "Frequently Flamed Topics" gave me quite a laugh. Funny.

Just to let you all know, I now officially have WRANGLER FEVER. My inspiration? tsjay and Ross Allen. Who else could have possibly led to that? They spread this "disease" so far around, that everyone's liable to catch it once in their lifetime, and the people who catch it also spread it around. I wonder who gave it to you, don't you? tsjay, love that White color on a TJ. You don't see many in that color, well, with the exception of Sahara models. They are almost always white, with a "Tan" Hard Top.

YET ANOTHER QUESTION: Is there really enough room for a big dog like Ross Allen in the TJ??

It's also much easier to find a 4x4 TJ...THEY ALL HAVE IT!