Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    How long is a stick?

If you've got a bit of scuffing on the side, it's much different than hitting a pothole. Concerning said pothole, how fast, how deep, how sharp?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Bent steel rims can be fixed, somewhat.
    A bent Aluminum wheel, running out of true, needs to be replaced.
    The G wheels are $800 + $200- for the tire.

Scuffs and scratches can be filled and repaired.
    This can be done for less than replacement cost, but it's not going to be 100%
  • flipsydeflipsyde Member Posts: 3
    I'm thinking of putting 20 inch rims on my 2005 G35 coupe. Does anyone have any recomendations for a sweet set of 20 inch rims and tires that would look great on this vehicle without compromising performance and additional road noise? Thanks.

Flip
  • wes_888wes_888 Member Posts: 38
    Whats the difference? Do forged wheels give you better performance?
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    Most bent or damaged aluminum wheels can be repaired. There are many firms out there that do it. I have had two rims repaired in the last two years (I live in NJ where the potholes can be huge), in fact an original 17" Infiniti wheel was repaired by the dealer. It cost $150 to repair. Check around before springing for a new wheel.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    got my car a month ago, love it but i noticed since day one that the TPS system has continued to blink --well after one week i checked the tire pressure and guess what? 55 lbs of pressure--thank you dealer.. well i have adjusted the pressure to 35 and the TpS continues to blink.. why?? is there a fix how do i get this blinking light off my dash board.. :P
  • shrivastavashrivastava Member Posts: 5
    I have read in the forums that driving in snow is tricky, some people term it impossible too. :cry: .

I am in Minneapolis and it snows a lot here (8 months a year). Being a great fan of manual transmissions, I really love the 6MT G35. But there is no AWD option in 6MT.

So please clear this issue. Is driving in snow a real issue with this car?
  • larrydrumslarrydrums Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 6MT and love it. I live in Chicago, and I plan to pick up a set of winter wheels and tires from Tirerack in the fall... likely Blizzaks. The tires on the 6MT are summer performance tires and I expect they will be unbearable in any snow/winter conditions. I factored this into my purchase decision. I am coming from a VW Passat 4motion with Bridgestone G009s which performed fabulously in winter (but was sluggish comparitively to the G) all other times of the year... I'd be interested in other opinions on winter wheels/tires for this car... thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you go to the group level by clicking here, you can use the "Search Infiniti G35" box for the word snow. You'll find lots of information, I promise! :)

You'll see it on the right on the gray bar above the discussion list.
  • sec3sec3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 G-35 coupe with 18 inch polished wheels, the bright is coming off in the corners of the wheels. anyone else having this problem?
  • g35xfung35xfun Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased the 07 G35x and it comes with Goodyear Eagle RSA tires. Is this the typical standard tire?

I've not heard very nice things about this tire, should I look for a better all-season tire to replace it? I know I definitely like better wet and snow performance given that I have Minnesota winters to deal with.

Thanks.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    Hi g35x fun: I have an 05 X with the same tires in MN. They are ok. I would run them till they are shot and then pursue a new tire. They aren't that bad...

I am probably going to look at Nokian All season rubber this fall. Enjoy the car, we LOVE ours :D
  • storrk1storrk1 Member Posts: 19
    This website has been an incredibly resource...insisting on a sports sedan with manual transmission and all weather capability (I live in Chicago) has greatly limited my car options. I love the G but the tires of the G sport are enough to make me lean toward the Acura TL type S. That was until I just went on tirerack again. I think they now have an all weather tire for the G--Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season. I could have sworn they didn;t have a tire when I went onto the site a few weeks ago. Maybe its new? Check it out guys, am I dreaming??? Buying new rims and tires is a deal breaker for me with the G...but if its just tires...I'm open to it.
  • paulo6paulo6 Member Posts: 94
    People talk all the time about the necessity of buying tires and rims together. I own a 06 6MT sedan in Michigan. I bought 4 snow tires (used) from ebay for a total of about $130, and no damage to rims have been detected at all. Had the local shop install them in January for $40 and the car has performed PHENOMENALLY during the winter snow. It cut through the snow with ease and really never felt the disapointment of a RWD car during the winter season. I will reuse these tires again come next winter.
  • mrg2mrg2 Member Posts: 29
    I just checked tirerack's website and you're right, they do now have an all-season tire for the 07 G35 Sport. Just type in the make, model, and year and then select "View matching front and rear tires", and there it is. They definitely didn't have them (in that size at least) when I looked a couple of months ago. I have a feeling it's a new tire because there are no reviews on their website. I'll start researching these now for this winter when I plan on putting on all seasons (and might just leave them on).
    Not to mention, the Acura TL type S is a horrorshow in the snow.
  • carfanatic17carfanatic17 Member Posts: 32
    I've also checked out the Eagle F1s on Tire Rack. But there are 17" winter tire and wheel packages that you can get for about the same price as the Eagle F1s.

Now I'm wondering which is better, dedicated sets for summer and winter, or one set of all seasons.

Any thoughts?
  • rickmeisterrickmeister Member Posts: 6
    Scottm123, I'm facing the same dilemma. But now hoping to get away with the all season Goodyear F1s. Haven't driven a RWD in 11 years, but did fine with all seasons on previous RWDs. And did some really crazy things on RWDs in my youth. But those cars weren't GSport 6MTs with all that torque and hp.

I live in Brooklyn, where they do plow the roads. So deep snow is not something I'll face. Nevertheless, I am tempted to go to 17" rims with 225/55/17 Dunlop M3s, just to be
    safe(r).

But it looks to me that the Goodyears alone are quite a bit cheaper than going with new 17" wheels and tires.

So maybe I'll get the Goodyears and save on new wheels and the $260 for the tire pressure sensors. If I run into problems with the snow, then I'll go for the Dunlops on new 17s or Blizzaks on the 18s.

Keep in mind that having multiple sets of tires reduces tread wear on the tires you're not using; so, in the long run, the total tire cost is less than it appears.
    The 17" winter tires AND wheels can be had at about the same price as the Goodyears alone, if you skip the tire pressure sensors. The car will be fine without the sensors, but keep in mind that the the tire pressure monitor light will be on, and you will have to manually monitor your tire pressure.

I have no problems with those two caveats, but I guess that's a decision you have to make on your own.
  • raizelgsraizelgs Member Posts: 84
    I change my wheels and tires for the winter. I do not put in the tire pressure monitors in my winter tires. The tire pressure monitor light did NOT :) come on at all during the winter when the wheel monitors were out.

RG
    Nice. So if there is no issue with the light, then all you have to worry about when not using the sensors is checking your tire pressure manually. Anyone who takes care of their car should already be used to doing this.

So I'm still curious, dedicated sets, or all seasons? Right now I'm definitely leaning towards dedicated sets.
  • novaguy200novaguy200 Member Posts: 12
    Hey all...ok, I will admit up front that I am not too smart with all this. Have been considering a G35 Coupe, but am worried about cost of tires. A co-worker has the sports package and said he has to pay about $300 a pop for his tires, and he doesn't even like them that much due to their performance in snow. He said he wishes he had the 18 inch tires, and there is a model I found at a dealer with that option. I don't want the hassle of changing/replacing tires a lot. Live in the DC metro area, so the snow will usually only be a problem for a small period of time. Are the tires that come with the Performance Tire/Wheel package decent all-weather options? And how often (and how much) would it likely cost to replace them? Treat me gently. I apologize for my idiocy...love the coupe, trying to keep it as inexpensive as I can.
    I have an automatic coupe with the 19 inch wheel sport suspension package. The tires that came with it were Bridgestone Potenza and they are good in the summer and terrible in the winter.

I bought a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for the winter on a different set of wheels (18"). One advantage of this is that the $300 a pop Bridgestone's will last longer as they are off the car 6 months of each year. I run the winter tires from November to April. I live in Ann Arbor (Detroit area) and snow varies from year to year.

I would rather not have to worry about being caught in a heavy snow with the Potenzas as the car would turn into a hockey puck.
  • mnrep2mnrep2 Member Posts: 200
    You might want to research Nokian WR all season tires. It is the only all season tire that also carries the Severe Service emblem and exceeds government standards for performance in snow...
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I believe the Goodyear Tripletred's also carry the emblem.
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    My 3-week old car is now showing the "Low Tire Pressure" indicator, but in a steady mode (no blinking). I checked the tires and they are all at the recommended 33lbs. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in , and they would have to do some system reset. Other than that, everything is working fine.
    I've been running a set of aftermarket rims and tires for two summers now without the tire pressure sensors (TPS). Here's what I've noticed. The light does NOT illuninate unless I am driving on the highway for about 30 miles or more. Then the light comes on but resets after I stop the car, shut down and restart, such as for a fuel break or similar. The light is yellow and is really not bothersome. If most of your driving is city or suburban then the light may never come on. However, you MUST keep track of your tire pressure since the system is, essentially, defeated.
    You need to keep track of your tire pressure anyway.
    This system only warns you of low pressure and it needs to be pretty low before the warning light comes on.
    Some systems offer actual live PSI of each tire but the G only gives a yellow light if one or more tires are low.

Do not depend on the TPS light for tire pressure.
    It should be checked at least once per month with a pressure gauge.
    That is very true. My bad for not stating so. Check your tire pressures regularly with a gauge!
  • kb124kb124 Member Posts: 60
    I took my car in regarding the steady lighted 'Low Tire Indicator'. The mechanic did some internal reset and it seems to be working okay so far. I spoke with him and he indicated that these sensors can activate if even a 3lb. differential is detected between the other tires. (That was not the case with my car. All tires were pretty equal at 33 lbs. which leaves this occurrence somewhat mysterious). He also stated that these sensors can be activated by another car parked next to yours, should that car also have tire pressure sensors. Interesting.

I asked whether the reset he did was from the dash (so I could do it myself next time), but he indicated it was somewhere internal. I believe he was being purposely vague because he told me he would prefer to further investigate the problem should it be re-occurring. Fair enough with me
    It's about time to start looking into all season tires for my G35S (before winter is here). I'm thinking that I'll replace the OEM summer tires with the Goodyear F1's and just keep them on year round, but I still want to do some research. I live in the DC area. Has anyone looked into these tires or heard anything about them? Any other choices out there? Does anyone have any new thoughts on the summer tire question?
  • dartman3dartman3 Member Posts: 2
    If you have a full size spare with a sensor, be sure to check its pressure too. You may have equal pressure in the 4 on the ground, but if the spare is getting low you'll still get the warning.
  • jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    I'd like to get dedicated Winter Tires fitted on my car in the next week or so. A little confused though, as I want to make sure which are the right ones since this is something I've not had to consider before.

The current tires are Bridgestone Potenza on the Front 225/50ZR18 and on the Rear 245/45ZR18.

Looking at tire rack the Winter tires are listed are the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 with 225/50HR18 and no separate 245/45 ones given for the the Rear.

Obviously they need to be 18" in order to just buy tires and not wheels, but is going with the 225/50 on all wheels going to be a problem?

Another option is to go for the Goodyear Eagle All Season Front 225/50ZR18 and on the Rear 245/45ZR18.

What does everyone else use? I'm in Chicago with a 28 highway mile commute each way.

Thanks!
    Isn't it just easier to buy dedicated wheels for the snow tires?

It's easier to swap each season, and with the cost of swapping twice a year, it's actually a little cheaper in the long run to just buy wheels.

I bought some 5-spoke aluminum wheels for my snows from tirerack for $95- each.
    I didn't expect much at all, but was actually surprised at how nice they look.
    I have a similar setup for my summer tires, except mine are 19" not 18. Potenza 245's in the back and 225's in the front.

I bought a second set of 18"rims and have Dunlop Winter Sport MP3s (Not sure of the size but definately 18"). I have had them for two winters now (Detroit) 40 mile commute and have had no problems getting around.

I would recommend Winter/Summer tires over all season, although I have not run all seasons, so it's just my opinion. With the powerful engine and rear-wheel drive, the car can be a hockey-puck on snow and ice.
  • jennmajennma Member Posts: 40
    I am leaning towards the Winter/Summer set up, especially for the more superior performance in adverse conditions. I do have space to store the alternate set of tires.

It's a good opportunity to learn how to change the tires around, but I'll need to do some more research as it's not something I've ever had to do before. There's the added concern of if somehow I do it wrong, having to buy another jack and how to balance the wheels (if that has to be done with completely new tires AND wheels, I presume so?!).

It is not my intention to sound like a moron, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to dealing with tire fitting, wheels and such like. :blush: In this case, my husband is little help as he is not mechanically minded in anything to do with cars (as long as it gets him from A to B without breaking down, it's enough for him).

My past experience is seeing when the tires I have need replaced and calling around to get them at the best price, going and getting it done.
  • prairieg35prairieg35 Member Posts: 1
    I got Discount Tire wheels ( 17" MB7X, $84 each) and Blizzack WS50 (225X55X17) tires at $99 each and they fit my '07 G35S perfectly.
  • larryallen707larryallen707 Member Posts: 174
    I have a G35 6MT with the 19" wheels. Have 225 40 R19 on front and 245's on back. They are Bridgestone Potenza the stock tires. I am at 30,000 miles and happy to have made it that far. Should I buy more of those? Buy something else? What would you recommend? I rarely race the car so am more looking for something that will look good and LAST a while! Any help would be appreciated.
  • rickmeisterrickmeister Member Posts: 6
    After much deliberation and advice at this site and others, I decided to go with the Goodyear All Season F1s on the OEM staggered set up instead of going to a pure winter set up. Had thought about going to 17" Borbet or Rial Como wheels with 225/55/17Dunlop M3s.

But wanting to preserve as much performance as possible, I went with the all seasons. So far (no snow or ice yet), the Goodyears are great, especially in hard rains. Handling is just a tad inferior to the OEM summer Potenzas. But the ride seems almost smoother and no more noisy than the summer Potenzas, and I feel alot more secure in the cold, when those summer tires do become hockey pucks.

We'll see if I can get through the winter here in New York City.
    Just wondering -- what are you planning on doing with the OEM tires? are you going to put them back on for the summer? I'm in the same boat, about the order the F1's for my '07 G35S (with less than 8K miles on them). I was thinking of selling my OEMs, but I don't know if I could get enough to make it worthwhile.

Did you buy yours from tirerack? I haven't been able to beat their price.
  • edryanedryan Member Posts: 3
    I have an 07 G35 6MT Sport in Minnesota. I'm planning to get a set of winter tires and wheels - soon. I'm told by the dealer that I should have 18" wheels, not 17"s, or problems may happen with the ABS. They recommended Dunlop tires, and stock wheels. Very, very pricey. Is there a problem with 17 inch wheels? It opens greater possibilities for tires, and looks to be less expensive to use 17" wheels.
    I cannot speak to 17" wheels vs. 18". I have a 2005 with the sport suspension package which is the same as the 6MT. I bought 18" aftermarket wheels and Dunlop MP3's. I have had no problems. The aftermarket wheels were around $150 each, much less than the stock dealer wheels.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    hello-- i have an 2007 AWD and was thinking about getting the sport wheels and tires (i like the stock sport wheels) --will they fit on the X version??
    Sweeny... The Sport wheels are staggered in size and are not recommended for the AWD system, which should have the same size, front and rear.
    You could go with 2 sets of the front 18" sport wheels, but now you're stuck looking for 2 front sets. :cry:
  • dlee999dlee999 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2007 g35 sport with the 18" bridgestone potenzas. any suggestions on tires which are more quiet? i just had a ton of dynamat placed but the road noise on highway driving is awful. i measured the noise level with a sound pressure level meter and it is about 95 db. would 17" rims be a better option?
  • edryanedryan Member Posts: 3
    I have the same tires. I'm getting 17" Blizzaks for the winter. Don't know, but suspect they are quieter.
  • larrydrumslarrydrums Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a winter tire/wheel package from tire rack (ASA JH3 wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires, 18", 225s in front, 245s in rear). This afternoon, I tried to install them and couldn't get the front wheels on. There is a "6th" stud of some type coming out of the hub, in between two of the 5 studs. It is actually a bolt, not threaded... and this "6th stud" prevented the wheel from mounting properly. Does anyone know what this is? I will be calling Tire Rack in the morning... as this was their recommended winter package for my car. Anyone have a similar experience with this wheel on a 2007 G35S? Thanks!">
  • ausimkhanausimkhan Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem when trying to install my new set of 20's. Those front bolts come right off with a standard socket set. You gotta take them off or else your aftermarket rims will not fit. That bolt serves no purpose.
  • yoramwyoramw Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I have a 2007 G35 Coupe AT with Sport Package and 19' Wheels. First snow was scary and I want to get snow tires.

My question is: Will a 17' wheels and snow tires fit my car?
    I prefer 17' snow tires if the car can take them.

BTW, if anyone has snow tires he wants to get rid of, I may be interested.
  • alpinereliantalpinereliant Member Posts: 1
    Don't mean to be a knit pick, i had hte same problem also with the bolt., i was wondering, why the hell is it here? the bolt is to serve as a helper for people changing the tires/rotating or what not. anyone doing work that has to take off the front and rear tires, the bolt is there so that they dont mount the back 17x8 rims to the front and 17x7.5 to the back. the 17x7.5 rims has an extra groove on them so they are allowed to mount in the front, and the back ones dont. that's why that bolt is there. no one seemed to know in nicoclub.com and im new to owning a G35, just wanted to pass on some knowledge i learned from google! ha. cheers and happy holidays.