Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti G35 Tires and Wheels

123457»

Comments

• dukiedougdukiedoug Member Posts: 12
    Hey all would like your opinion on replacement front tires. I have a 2006 G35 coupe and have been noticing alot of noise from front tires. Am thinking of replacing them. I have 18s all around just a wider tire on the back. I do not do alot of aggresive driving, so I was looking at putting touring tire on the front. I however have performance tires on the rear. What is everyones opinion on mixing treads on a car? (i.e. touring tires on front and performance on back). I have heard both sides of argument. The rear tires seem to have alot of wear left so I do not want to replace them if not necessary. Any input would be appreciated.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    edited August 2010
    I would not mix tires as you are suggesting.

Even if you don't drive aggressively (neither do I :shades: ), putting different tires front to rear, especially touring tires on one end and performance on another is going to upset the handling of the car. The car may go from having slight understeer tendencies to oversteer, or vice-versa. You may not notice the difference under normal driving conditions, but they would probably show up in an emergency situation (such as a high-speed lane change or if you find yourself going into a turn too fast), or when driving in the rain.
  • sticksrileysticksriley Member Posts: 1
    Preparing to replace tires on my G35 (245/45 - 18). Any recommendations on the Goodyear Eagle GT versus Yokohama AVID ENVigor versus Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport?
  • pscheidpscheid Member Posts: 190
    edited November 2010
    About two years ago I put on the ultra high performance Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position on our 04 G35 Coupe (auto trans). Absolutely love every aspect of the tire. A bit pricier than many, but they were very highly ranked in TR comparisons at the time and have lived up to my expectations.

I had Yoko Avids on another car and felt that for the price they couldn't be beaten. They had only one deficiency.....a little ponderous in the snow.
  • garfsgarfs Member Posts: 1
    My dealer is recommending Hancook tires. Does anyone have experience with these for my 2006 g35
  • bandit21bandit21 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for new tires to replace Michelin Pilots. Would like more of an all season rather than a high performance summer tire. Two have been recommended: Continental extremecontact DWS and Yokohama envigor. I have not been able to find any reviews for the Yokohamas but the reviews for the Contis have been positive for the G35 coupe. Anyone familiar with these tires? Any other suggestions?
    I researched for quite a while and wanted to switch to an all season tire too. Wound up with Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 A/S Pole Position, ultra high performance I believe. Not the cheapest, but they ranked pretty high at the time against higher priced alternatives. I have been totally pleased with them. 2004 G35 coupe auto trans.

I have had Yokos in the past on another car (Yoko Avid V4S all season), and for the price I was very happy.....just didn't find them quite as good in the snow as the Michelin Pilot A/S they replaced.
  • bankerdanbankerdan Member Posts: 8
    I just put some Continental ExtremeContacts on my wife's 2006 G35X. We haven't had enough snow to see if they are an improvement over the Michelin Pilots I have on my 2005 G35. We have about 4,000 miles on them. The speed rating on the Continental tires is higher than average and they have a decent mileage warranty. I observed that the space between the tread is wider than the Michelin Pilots, so it should do pretty well on snow. No complaints. They stick nicely on the road and don't seem to make a lot of noise. But then they are new. It is what you would expect.
    edited December 2010
    Bankerdan........there will be a "light years" improvement in the snow traction in your G35X sedan.

When I was looking two years ago in TireRack, the Continental ExtremeContact and the Bridgestones I bought (see above) were the two top ranked all-season tires in the summarized Winter categories, regardless of price. I chose the Bridgestones for my G35 RWD Coupe, and in the original offset tire sizes: P225-45-18 fronts and the P245-45-18 rears.

The Michelin Pilots (Summer tires) on my (rear wheel drive) G35 Coupe were LESS THAN USELESS IN THE SNOW as you would naturally expect. Just a dusting and the car had to be left in the garage. The best way I can describe things: like the car was riding on glare black ice covered with a thin coat of water. The car could not get out of its own way in the snow.

I liked all of the other aspects of the Michelin Summer tires, except for the price. But I live in New England and wanted to be able to drive the G Coupe year around, including the Winter months, without investing in a second set of dedicated tires and rims.

With the G Coupe's minimal overall ground clearance and the proximity of the front air dam to the pavement, I had no illusions of going out when there were over four inches of the unplowed white stuff of the ground. I just wanted to be able to safely navigate, albeit carefully, when the accumulation was lower and/or after the roads had been treated. Living in a medium populated area, the road crews take care of things in relatively short order.

In the worst of the storms I figured the car with the all-seasons might be laid up a day, worst case two before the roads were clear enough. I was not wrong and have gone two winters on the Bridgestones. Pleasantly surprised at that.

No, these all seasons were not confidence inspiring on the rear wheel drive Coupe. But they are what I would term passable and a night versus day improvement for Winter over the Michelin Summer tires..

Since you have an all-wheel-drive X, you should far ahead of me in every snow situation except stopping distances, ahead of me because of your AWD, higher ground clearance in the front, and the narrower rear tires .....then we're about even. I don't think you will be disappointed in your tire selection. In fact, you might get overly confident when you first hit the snow because of the vast improvement in the snow traction of your all-seasons versus your Michelin Summer tires.

If you read tire road tests thoroughly, you know Summer tires are better in all dry applications. What you might not know is that Summer tires for three seasons of the year are superior to all-seasons in the rain (I couldn't believe that one myself until I read it and saw the performance statistics). And in the Winter, as the temperatures drop below 44 degrees, the softer rubber compound in the Summer tires do a very respectable job adhering to the dry road. But add snow and they are useless..

The Summer tires wear faster because of their softer compound, so your all season Continentals should last longer. When it comes to ride comfort and noise, the all- seasons have the Summers beat in my opinion. I don't need to be taking the exit ramps at 55 mph in my G Coupe.....I've got another car more suitable for that. So giving up the Summer tires was a no brainer for me.

Good luck to all on your tire choices. The amount you spend does not necessarily translate necessarily into a better tire for your use. I am not trying to advertise, but I have found TireRack to be a tremendous resource researching tires before picking the finalists and getting the bang for your buck.
  • Duane99Duane99 Member Posts: 11
    I had new tires installed on my 2005 G35 coupe and now the tire monitors are not working. Is there something that I need to do?
    edited February 2011
    I personally am too busy to try and fix what others broke. So I don't start pouring myself into the manuals, diagnosing the problem, and trying various fixes. So I can't help you with this.

When I took my G in for tires, I walked the service manager around the car to point out the pristine rims, the TPMS that worked, the condition of my car (no dings, etc.) and also observed the old tires and suspension settings worked smooth as glass up to 120!!!!! That is how I expected when I got the car back, along with the new tires. "Put the right tech on the car."

Yup, you guessed it. Three of the four rims got gouged, on the spokes no less (not merely scratched). Someone got fired, and the tire dealer had to have the rims refinished. What a pain! For me!

If the TPMS worked when you took the car in for new tires, they had better work coming back out.

The responsibility is on the tire installer. Take the car back to them and let them figure it out.......that is what you paid them to do, simply swap out the tires and return the vehicle to you otherwise unaltered. And don't wait, call them now. Or you will find them blaming you or something you did AFTER you left their shop.

Odds are they screwed up the monitors. Common problem. They may have to be replaced......on their dime.
  • bankerdanbankerdan Member Posts: 8
    I have had similar results with rotating tires. As I understand the process, a computerized gadget is required to turn off the tire pressure monitor light. Then the car needs to be retrained to recognize the readings from each tire since they are in different positions. I would try that first before replacing the whole system. I think I paid the shop $10 to do it. There are some ideas on-line as well.

Another thought, if the tire monitors are set for 35 psi and the techs put in 32, it would show up on the monitor. The shop can reset each of those at the tire to make sure it matches up with the pressure specs of the tire and the car.

Hope that proves to be an easier way to fix your problem. Let me know if it works in your case.
  • Lady3bgloverLady3bglover Member Posts: 24
    Although I don't have a G35, I've been using the Hankook Ventus RH06 (275/45/20). The next aggressive 'Kook tire I would consider would be the EVO.

I live in Texas, and spent $$ going through Goodyear Eagle GTII's, don't waste your money. Yeah, they look good but just turn the other cheek. The GTII's are too soft for this ground.

I've use the 'Kooks at the track and they hook up nicely. Hankook has a page on Fb, and you can also go directly to the 'Kook site. They will reply to your query.

As far as price, I've been able to get price match at Disc Tire Direct, and if your a first time buyer on a set of 4, give a shout to PerformancePlusTires.com (or Net) out of Long Beach Calif.

What I need to know what is the stock tire on the G35. 225/45/19 on the front, and 225/40/19 on the back.

Thanks.
  • nolicnolic Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2007 G35 coupe with standard 17 inches wheels and 225/50/17 (front) and 235/50/17 (rear) tires. I purchased a set of used 18 inches Infiniti wheels, is it safe to mount 225/50/18 (front) and 235/50/18 (rear) tires on it? Appreciate any assistance.
  • vpking1vpking1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2006 G35x. My OEM Eagle tires were wearing out as they had over 37,000 miles on them. When I went to replace them at the dealer I was told that Goodyear no longer made them. I elected to go with Hankook Ventus. These are the worse tires ever made. They are clearly inferior to the OEM tires. They give a harsher ride and don't grip as well as the Eagles. Winter is coming and I am dreading how these tires will handle on ice and snow. If I could return them right now I would. Hankook spends a lot on advertising so they can push an inferior product. All Infiniti has done is lose me as a customer when I purchase a new car in the future. Tires are one of the most important things when it comes to a driving experience. I spent nearly six hundred dollars and I don't have the money to dump these tires.
    edited December 2011
    vpking.......I think you are celebrating the holidays a bit too much. You have a 6 model year old Infinity. Depending upon the build date, your Infinity could be 7 years old.

You expect to be able to buy the exact same tire as what came on the vehicle OEM from the factory? Then YOU CHOOSE to switch tire brand. And then YOU CHOOSE to blame Infinity when you don't like the outcome?!?!?

You were not forced to buy your tires from your Infinity dealer just as you were not compelled to blindly accept their recommendation for a replacement tire brand and model.

There are plenty of people who find the Hankooks fulfill both their needs and expectations on a G35X, at a particular price point. You didn't do your homework. If you want to blame someone, take a good look in the mirror.

Tire choice isn't black and white due to driving preference, and there is no such thing as a tire that does everything better, regardless of price.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    I am also puzzled by blaming Infinity for poor performing replacement tires. I can understand not being happy with the choice, but clearly it was the dealer who recommended them, not Infinity.
    edited December 2011
    capri........even the dealer is not to blame here. A dealer will have a quality replacement tire available for a customer. They have to have something available for a wider range of customers because they service (a variety of) cars soup to nuts; but they certainly cannot carry a wide choice in-house. And they don't want to be in the tire business.

If they have a tire dealer close by, they may be able to do a credible job servicing a broader set of customer performance expectations, but not nearly as good as a tire dealer.

My tire preferences are far different now than when I was younger. Back then, I was into ultra high performance Z-Y-W rated, grippier tires. I did not mind a harsher ride, a noisier tire, longevity, or (so much) one with better poor weather performance. My preference today is the direct opposite.

When the OEM Michelin Pilot Summer tires that came on my G35 Coupe were cooked, I went in the opposite direction with an all-weather tire that ranked near the top in poor weather performance, followed by a more compliant ride and a lower noise factor. I also did not want to spend over $1,000 for replacement tires. I bought a set of the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires and am VERY happy with them. But I did the reaearch.

But these are MY driving preferences and my price point preferences, not someone else's.

The Bridgestones will not rate near the top in dry weather performance versus a Summer tire, but they do everything quite well (compromise). If I want to revert to the days when I took exit ramps at 60MPH (in dry weather), I'll go back to a Summer tire.

As it pertains to price, I would assume a car dealer would be the highest priced alternative for a tire I could get a whole lot cheaper down the street.
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    Why shouldn't he be pissed at the dealer if he went to the dealer and they sold him something unsatisfactory. They are a luxury car dealer and should be recommending comparable products. I agree there are pleny of places to compare tires for your car like tire rack. I replaced the goodyears on my 2008 g35x @ 36k with new michelins primacy mxv4's when they wore out because the goodyears were too noisy, but they were 875 dollars. I would think if the dealer recommends a tire it would be comparable to the oems it came with.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    There are two key facts here that make me suspect the dealership is not at fault:
    "I elected to go with Hankook Ventus."

Elected. With so many tire choices available, it is impossible for the sales personnel to know which type of tire is going to appeal to an individual consumer. Some offer firmer/stiffer ride, some are better for traction, some better handling, quieter ride, etc. It is up to the consumer to communicate what he/she finds appealing in a tire. My guess is that in this case, it was price:

"I spent nearly six hundred dollars..."

Those are pretty cheap tires. When I replaced my G35 tires nearly 5 years ago, I spent $750, and I knew at the time that I was getting decent, but not top-of-the-line, tires.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

AMEN!!!!!!!!

The Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position tires I bought 3 years ago came to $800, just for the tires.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to the original poster, but his frustration is grossly misplaced. He owns the greatest responsibility in this matter.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    I also need new tires but at 30k, same car. Dealer recommends new ones - please keep us posted on what you get
    7k miles on the michelin primacy mxv4 I put on my 2008 G35X and I love em much quieter and it is alledgedly a 60k mile tire.
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    Thank you for that. How much do they run ?
  • knr5knr5 Member Posts: 85
    I am trying to replace my original equipment summer tires (NCT5) with all season tires. I use dedicated winter tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M3) for the cold season. In the past I have noticed that Yokahomas, Continentals and Michelins have been rated high. My car has a little over 65k miles on it now.

I am no longer a boy-racer. I drive only moderately aggressively from time to time. Secure handling and a quiet ride matter a lot to me now. In other words I am tilting slightly towards the luxury side of the sport/luxury combination that attracted me to the G a decade ago (this is my second G). Recently I perused the available tires for my car (235/45/18 V rated) on Tire Rack. It appeared to me that a grand touring tire from Michelin was the best fit for me based on survey responses and specs -- Michelin MXM4. Am I about to make a colossal blunder by going for this tire? Should I just play it safe by staying with the Continental DWS or the Michelin MXV4 instead? Any comments in this regard would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Raj
  • calhooncalhoon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 G35 with the 18” wheel package. 225 50 r 18 on the front and 245 45 r 18 on the rear. Bridgestone Potenzas came stock and are gone at 22,000. This is my wife’s car and she is 63, this car has been pampered. I’m in Sacramento and the most severe weather this car will see is rain. I would like more mileage and a quiet superior ride. Any suggestions?
    edited October 2012
    calhoon.......you didn't mention which Bridgestone Potenzas you have on your 2008 G35 from the factory. But seeing as you only got 22,000 miles on them, I will assume the G came with Summer tires that have a softer rubber compound. That is about the norm mileage wise for a Summer tire on the G. Summer tires came on mine (Michelins), no major complaints; but they are pricey.

I would recommend you shop at TireRack. That is where I go, and their on-line help and info helping you select the right tire is superb. So is their pricing.

I will grant you I overdid my research. But I was looking for a more moderately priced all season tire for my wife's 2004 G35 Coupe. That was a couple of years ago. Our G Coupe came with Michelin Summer tires. I was interested, however, in a tire with a softer (ride), quieter, had better grip in wet weather performance, a lower price tag, and would wear a bit longer.

After hours of comparing tires, reading the road tests, and then reading the comments of purchasers including those with a G, I bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS (All Season) Ultra High Performance. I could not be happier with the tire. Period. They were highly ranked by purchasers, no weak points......except for light and heavy snow, which you don't have to worry about.

Bridgestone also makes an R970 as well with a new rubber compound.

Your needs and wants may be different. Let us know what you choose!

PJ
  • g35loverg35lover Member Posts: 1
    I drive an '06 G35 coupe. I love everything about this car except for the fact that it CONSUMES tires. . .I'm sure it has nothing to do with my driving--hey, why own a sports car if you don't drive it like you stole it! That being said, I'm going on my 4th set of tires, I'm at 70K and I need to make a decision on which tires to buy. I'm a girl, I don't know s**t from shinola when it comes to tires and I have always trusted the dealership. I need some knowledgeable recommendations. I have been shopping around but the more I shop, the more confused I am. I want the quieter ride (original tires were so noisy I couldn't use the factory bluetooth), but looking for something with a little longer wear. I live near Sacramento, so no snow, only rain. Help!!
    G35lover........I think you need to read the previous post to yours, #342!!!!

PJ
  • soonerbigdogsoonerbigdog Member Posts: 5
    Go to tirerack.com and compare tires in your size. They have tons of data that detail noise, longevity, fuel consumption, handling in all weather and ride quality. From my experience buying, selling and owning high performance vehicles for 25+ years, I can tell you there is no one PERFECT tire. All have positives and negatives. In general, I've found the best mix of performance, ride quality, safety and tread wear with Michelin's Pilot series, & Goodyear Triple-treads (if you can find them). Some of the Hancook tires are quite well-rounded, too. Continental's and Pirelli's are great tires in many ways, but all cam have down sides, ie; Short life with Conti's and poor fuel mileage with Pirelli Nero's. The trick is looking at the various ratings and finding a tire that rates well for the conditions in which you'll be driving. On my G, I wanted good handling on dry, but I also wanted good resistance to hydroplaning in the wet, a decent and fairly quiet ride and tires that would last at least 40 to 50K miles. For me, that was the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. PS: I wouldn't consider ANY Bridgestone (or Firestone which they own) tire due to personal experience with their products and their history of making defective tires.
    I have a 2006 G35 MT sedan with 70k miles on it. I have had zero issues with it over the past seven years, except for some TPS issues. I replaced one of the sensors (front left tire) about two years ago. I needed to have it done a second time at a different dealership (free of charge, since it was within a year). Everything was ok for a while. During the past year, particularly the last six months, the TPS lights have been coming on more frequently. It is unrelated to the actual tire pressure (I have checked the tire pressure to make sure). However, the service guys are able to reset the TPS system without much hassle. It is getting quite bothersome, however, to attend to this issue frequently (about every two weeks recently). I would appreciate any advice in this matter. I have asked the service guys to replace any sensor that they think is defective, but they tell me that their instruments show that everything is working normally, once they reset the system (in a matter of minutes with a hand-held device -- usually not even requiring it to be plugged into the dash).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    First, these systems are known by the initials TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems).

Second, it could be the device you are using to check the pressure is faulty - so to be sure it is the TPMS, over inflate the tire a bit - say 5 psi. Then see what happens.

If the light comes on again, then it might be the TPMS. If not, the problem is likely your pressure gauge.
    Thank you for your prompt response! I suppose it was an oversight to miss the 'monitoring' part of TPMS, but I am glad you understood what I was talking about.

I have checked pressure using different devices at home and at the service centers. I have a powered air pump with a pressure gauge at home and have, as a first step, checked pressure in all tires and have slightly over-inflated them. Before I needed to replace my first sensor, this used to fix the problem. Not so lately. As against the recommended tire pressure of 33 psi, I currently have 35-36 psi in my tires, partly because it is winter. Clearly one of the sensors is defective, but we are unable to figure out which one needs to be replaced. The service guys are stymied precisely because of that issue. Resetting the system with their hand-held tool seems to fix the problem (TPMS warning light goes out), for a while. Is there a way to figure out which sensor is the culprit?

Thanks, again, for your willingness to help.
    knr5........I have an 04 G35 Coupe purchased 9/2003. At the five year mark the TPMS light went on, wouldn't go off even after monkeying with the tire pressures.

It was time for new tires, so I thought I'd let the tire dealer rectify the TPMS matter. Tire dealer could not reset and eliminate the warning light but told me that one sensor was bad, told me which one. I drove to my Infinity dealer and got a replacement sensor for about $150. The tire dealer installed it and the TPMS light issue was resolved......though the light has come back on once since then, it went off when the psi was adjusted about 3 psi in one of the tires.

I did some reading up on this when I was having the issue. The batteries in the sealed sensors are not replaceable. The battery life according to what I read should be about 7 years, maybe less. I am still running the original sensors on the other three wheels. So I am living on borrowed time with them.

Maybe your tire dealer can tell you which one is bad.

PJ
    edited February 2013
    Its interesting I have a 2008G AWD my tires lasted about 32k miles or 3 years. When I replaced the tires at COSTCO with new michelins they said they needed to put in new TPMS sensors and charged about 8 dollars a tire that was about 18 months and 18k miles ago. I know they work because I have had them come on and go off when I rectified the reason. BTW I don't think a nitrogen fill means crap I still lost air.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I have so far replaced my LF sensor (about two years ago) and my LR sensor (about a week ago). Whenever the sensors are reset, the indications are that all the batteries are ok. I suspect the lives of batteries are like the lives of light bulbs -- may last another few minutes or another few years. Since no one is able to figure out what the issue is with my TPMS sensors (including Infiniti dealership), as a last resort, I am taking my car in to have the remaining two sensors replaced (i.e., on the RHS). I will keep you guys posted on developments.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I hope you mean that COSTCO charged you $8 per tire labor. :) The parts are much more expensive
    edited February 2013
    It appears that my local service place, whose service has been excellent over the past twenty years or so, had used an after-market sensor (universal type, apparently says it fits the G35) in trying to save me money (I had not asked for a cheaper solution). They sheepishly admitted that some cars are finicky about after-market sensors, but most are not, including many 'luxury' brands. So they are going to obtain the genuine OEM sensor and replace the universal sensor. I think this should do it!

Thank you all for your help!

p.s.: The nearest Infiniti dealer is 2 hours away, and another is 3 hours away!
    OEM sensor installed. Problem remains! TPMS light came on within two days! I will have to visit with the good folks at Infiniti. Keep you guys posted -- may be useful to someone else.
    I am afraid I will not be able to provide any further update on the matter. I traded-in my 2006 G35 for an Acura TL SH-AWD 6M a few days ago.