Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL Tires and Wheels

Comments

• jjg4519jjg4519 Member Posts: 3
    As requested, my initial thoughts on the Versados.

After approx. 1,000 miles, I am fairly pleased with the tires. I did have to get one replaced. The tire shop said I hit a pothole and "broke a band". A bubble showed up on the tire.

With the low profile tires, I highly recommend the Road Hazard warranty. The Versado came with a 40,000 mile warranty.

After 5,000 or so miles, I will post again.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Today I swapped my 16" Dunlop WinterSports for my 17" Toyo Versados. Instant improvement in nvh! Although it probably means snows a comin'...!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    When I did that with my '05 it felt like I was driving a new car.

BTW, did you see my post on the chalky dashboard?
    Hi, Doc. Yes, thanks. I've got the Black Magic wax for the Evil Wife's RX. Good stuff. I'll look for the cleaner, too. Temps supposed to get into the 60s here, maybe I'll do my first hand wash (Z7, then Z6) since October this weekend!

Would have been nice to actually drive in some real snow with the Dunlops... Maybe next year.

Yeah, the TL was made for the low profile 17s...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Can I get Zaino in a local store or do i have to buy it on-line? And, since I'm a rookie, what should I get for my first application? :confuse:
    Not sure, I know Zaino is sold in a few shops, maybe only in NJ? My advise:

Visit Zainostore.com for a lot of info and check out the Zaino thread here for even more info (just keyword, "Zaino").

My starter kit was Z-2, Z-5, ZFX and Z-6. Last summer, I bought the maintenance pack of Z-7 and Z-6. Z-7 is the car wash, four bottles may have been a bit much as a little goes a long way! Lifetime supply of Z-7!

After swapping my Toyos back yesterday, picked up a nail in one during the 5 mile drive home. Of course, we're driving to DC next week, so perfect timing. Luckily, I noticed the slow leak, had it fixed today...

What a coincidence, the TPMS went off on my GTI yesterday, had a 2-3 mm hole on the border between the tread and sidewall (no-man's land). Local garage plugged it and said it probably won't cause me any problems. Cost to replace: $217 + tax! That's more than a TL tire IIRC. :sick:

Drove by my neighbor today with the '08 TLS, he was scrubbing his tailpipes with a toothbrush and I thought of you Zaino guys! :P
    Unfortunately, my first Zaino-"light" routine (z-7, z-6) has revealed a lot of fine, light scratches in my lovely Abyss Blue paint. Maybe when I z-5 a couple of times next month they will be filled in.

Again, I just should not own a darker color car... :cry:

But, when it is in full Zaino z-2 shine... :D :shades:

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Drove by my neighbor today with the '08 TLS, he was scrubbing his tailpipes with a toothbrush and I thought of you Zaino guys!

Sounds like his wife or girl-friend have not tasked him sufficiently. Was he using an old-fashioned tooth brush or a mechanized such as "Sonicare"?

Thanks to all who have given opinions on replacement tires for TL. Decided on Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S and have on order for 04 TL. Will give feedback after putting on some miles. This tire ranked high in its class in Tirerack's tests and customer feedback and has attributes I desire.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    You'd never see me hitting my pipes with a toothbrush... not even the soft bristles.
    Those are made of plastic/nylon and will scratch the chrome.

Stop by your neighbors house, hand him some chrome polish and a couple of micro-fibers.... he'll thank you for it. :P
    We probably should be talking about this over in "paint and exterior care", but I don't know how to move the posts. I think he was scrubbing the inside of the pipes. I always wondered what the best method was to get that soot out of the inside of the pipe. Any suggestions?
    I'd post this question over on the GTI forum but there's cob webs growing over there, plus I have owned a TL in the past.

I ran all-seasons and winter tires on my TL with the differences being obvious.

Now however I have summer performance tires on my GTI since it won't see any snow. My question is: what are the main differences between summer performance tires and all-season performance tires (better snow traction being obvious)?

Which ones are generally quieter? I would be willing to give up a little "grip" for quietness
    My question is: what are the main differences between summer performance tires and all-season performance tires (better snow traction being obvious)?

Check out Tirerack.com tire tests, tire buyer surveys, and tire buyer comments. I had to replace OEM Bridgestone EL42 tires on 04 TL recently. After research on Tirerack, bought Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. Considered Michelin summer tires since I have 4 mounted snows, but settled on Exalto A/S. My take was that while the summer Michelin Perf would have had better cornering, turn-in, crispness, etc., they probably would be a harder/noisier ride per info on Tirerack.com. I value the minimization of noise and hard ride over the gain in performance of the summer tire.
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    An update to my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S....

Gas mileage has dramatically improved back up to my prior MPG. My guess is that the tires had to be broken-in...as it took about a month for the MPG to improve to prior levels.

Overall...I would recommend the Pilot A/S. They drive well....perform well...and seem to be wearing evenly.
  • new2carsnew2cars Member Posts: 71
    Hi- I accidentally ran into the curb while pulling into a parking spot and to my dismay, I scratched my front tire's rim. This is anything I can do to have the damage fixed? Buffed? Besides aesthetics, will this be a problem to my car?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
  • westiethewillywestiethewilly Member Posts: 32
    I have done the same to 2 of my rims when I first got my TL-S. The car seems a lot lower than what I have been driving and you need to park very carefully. I do not park near any curbs or make tight turns around curbs anymore.

I ask my dealer about this on my 1st oil change and they had someone come in from PA to just repair the rims. It was $ 100.00 each rim. Still cheaper than buying new rims. And they looked like new again. The rims do seem very soft.

[non-permissible content removed] luck
    Thanks for your advice. I definitely learned my lesson and I'm staying far away from curbs when parking. That was a painful mistake.

How did they repair the rims? Buff it out?

Thanks!
  • graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    Just took my '05 TL Auto for an A1 service and was advised that it's time to replace the tires on my car. I still have these OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires, and have had my car for 3 years. The car has about 43k miles on it. I'm rather surprised to see these tires lasted this long, after reading the posts from the others on here.

After reading the reviews on Tirerack.com, it seems like the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position are the ones to go.

Do other TL owners have any previous experience with these tires?
    43k miles! Wow!

My '05 had 23k on the Michelins when I traded up for the '07 MDX and they were on their way out. I rotated religiously too because of the 19k I got on the first set of Michelins on my "03 TLS. If you got 43k why not stick w/ the Mich's?
  • graffixxgraffixx Member Posts: 41
    I have mine rotated whenever the service minder tells me to, which is roughly about 4500-5000 miles. It's ridiculous how the dealer charges $45 to rotate all 4 tires ea time.

I'd stick with the same brand tires; however, they're a bit expensive ($100/ea over the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position). Plus the reviews on the Michelins were lower.
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    I have a 04 TL and my Michelins were toast around the 22K mark. Thought it was me until the next set of tires lasted me 48k. Didn't do the Michelins again.
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    I have 43k on my 06 TL and the original Michelins are still going strong.
  • pashipashi Member Posts: 16
    Can't comment on the Potenza's, but did have the Yokahama S.drives installed a few months ago and love them! Got them for $125/piece from TireRack.com and had them shipped and installed by a Goodyear dealership. Very smooth, great in the corners, excellent wet weather traction. I don't know how long they will last, but if I can get the same 38,000 out of them that I got with the Michelins, they are well worth it at half the price!
    Jiffy Lube- $19.99 to rotate all 4. :)
    My firm belief concerning the wide range of "miles per tire" is that it is solely related to driving style. The more aggresive you drive the less use you will get out of any tire.
    I'd agree with that and I'd wager the folks who wear out tires so soon are also replacing brakes much more often...probably get lower gas mileage....and don't brush their teeth at least twice a day ;)
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Just replaced my Michelins on 2007 TLS 29K miles with Michelin Exalto A/S 50K Warranty "BEST ON THE MARKET!" BEST VALUE!! Only tire in its class with a warranty! :shades:
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    Looking at the new '09 TL, looks like the only option on rims is in a 19". Does this mean Acura has now discontinued the 18" rims which has always been an option for the '04 - '08 models? I've been thinking about changing out the rims on my car to in 18" but was going to wait until I got the full mileage out of my existing 17" tires first. Do I have time to wait? Or do I need to make the decision to buy now and get rid of my existing set which still has quite a bit of life left on them.
  • bobhoopsbobhoops Member Posts: 7
    Anybody know anything about these tires on an 06 TL?
  • sloquarksloquark Member Posts: 5
    How do you like the way the Exalto rides and handles?
  • mayettemayette Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a set of Goodyear Eagle F-1's after 6 mo's and approx. 8,000 mile they are in horrible shape. Yes, balanced, rotated, alignments, pressure all covered. Extremely loud and major cupping. Want to replace with good set of winter performance tires. Any suggestions?
  • nctlnctl Member Posts: 2
    How are the Versados performing still? Looking for a smooth and quiet tire for 04 TL.For a W-rated tire does it absorb bumps well and have you noticed any mpg difference than stock.
    Thanks.
  • TLWiscTLWisc Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in what size regular wheels/tires I can get for my '05 TL. I have the factory low profile wheels. After 4 years, I am tired of hitting potholes and having to replace my tires. I used to have an Accord and never had this problem. Although it won't look as cool, I want to change to regular profile tires.

What size wheels and tires do I need for compatibility to a 2005 TL.
  • bnye21bnye21 Member Posts: 1
    hello... i currently have a black 05 TL and was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of how to get the stock wheels in a black finish? any information or ideas would be great!
  • markcpmarkcp Member Posts: 11
    I was wondering the same thing, if any one went with shorter rim but larger tire? The low profiles look great but where I live the road is full of pot holes and a rough ride ahead. I'm still looking to buy a TL but curious on a rim change out to 16" from the factory 18's? Thanks, Mark
    16 " rims will not fit on 04-08 Acura TL. We had OEM 2001 Acura TL extra rims with mounted snow tires and I checked to see if these would fit our 2004 TL and they won't. Calipers in front interfere. Need minimum 17". We bought 4 extra alloy rims from Tire Rack with mounted snow tires for the 04 TL. The snow tires are 50 series rather than 45 series for smaller footprint in snow/ice. We chose 50 series snows with same circumference as 45 series to keep odo and gearing stock.
  • jpdisarrojpdisarro Member Posts: 33
    17" rims are standard on the FWD model, while 18" rims are standard on the SH-AWD model. 19" rims are an option on the SH-AWD model.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I drive a base 2008 TL that came with OEM Bridgestone Turanza's EL400. Right from the start I had a harsh/rough ride with these tires and very poor traction/handling in just wet weather; I would be scared to drive the car in any kind of snowy weather!!; also, these tires were causing severe vibrations/shimmy through the steering wheel, peddles, and seats of the car when every I did anything over 50 mph and the faster I went the worse the vibrations got; after taking it back to the Acura dealer and having all the tires balanced and a front-end alignment done the problems still remained; after contacting Bridgestone I was able to work out a deal and get the top of the line Bridgestone Serenity's put on the TL; once this was done all the problems went away; actually I was told by Bridgestone that the serenity's came out because of all the problems and complaints against the Turanza EL400s; I only got the Bridgestone serenity's because that was the only manufacture I was able to work a deal with plus the OEM Turanza's that were giving me so much trouble only had about 2000k miles on them; even though the Bridgestone serenity's are a much better tire they are really expensive (almost $245 a tire for the TL) and I would never spend that much on a Bridgestone or have that brand of tire on a sedan ever again after what happens; a tire shouldn't cause that kind of shimmy/vibration with a car

I believe Acura still uses these crappy OEM's on the 2009 TL without the tech package and so does Toyota on the camry, Lexus on the ES350, and Nissan on the Altima 3.5SE; these were the worst tires I have ever had and consider them dangerous and unsafe and warn anyone from getting OEM Bridgestone Turanza's EL400; the OEM Michelin Pilots Acura uses are not that great either but they are the better of two evils; try to get them if you can!!!!

AVOID BRIDGESTONE TURANZA EL400 TIRES AS ALL COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • carteachcarteach Member Posts: 179
    I have an '06 TL with about 39,000 on it. I blew the sidewall off my front right tire tonight. The guy who came to fix it said my other three tires looked as if they'd last another six months or so.

Questions: Can I replace two tires at a time? What suggestions do you have for tires that aren't a fortune? I live in the NE and my driveway is gravel; but honestly I've had zero trouble with my tires. Today's flat was my fault for banging into a curb.. not once but twice. :mad:
    if you've read my post on this forum before (#356) you know I had terrible problems with my OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL42's and had top of the line Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires put on my Base 08 TL; I have roughly 10k miles on the the tires now (a little over 11k miles on the car itself) and the last few weeks I've developed some grinding and feel some vibrations in the wheel/pedal when applying the brakes and smell burning when I get out of the car coming from the rear wheels; that usually is a sign that the brake pads have to be replaced but I pray I don't have to have the rotors resurfaced; this seems ridiculous to have to have this done with only 11k miles on the car; I wanted to know if the Serenity tires could be causing the problem or if it is an inherent problem with the 08 Base TL that other people are having (i.e. premature wear on brakes or rotor resurfacing); I've kept the tires balanced just above recommended pressure and I have had them rotated regularly so I can't imagine that the tires are the problem; any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated!!
  • strokeoluck2strokeoluck2 Member Posts: 91
    After reading through some of the winter tire questions I thought I would share what I did. My '05 TL has 53k miles. I'm on my third set of "summer" tires (long story; wasn't happy w/the OEM set. And it's not my driving style, I just replaced my brakes this weekend and they had 30% to 40% life left on them) but had never owned winter tires.

After moving to Minnesota from southeast Michigan I went through one bad winter and realized driving my TL is like running a hot corncob through butter...just slides all over. This fall I went on TireRack.com and purchased the tire/wheel combo you see below for about $900 including shipping. Actually it came to $850 because the mfgr is sending me a $50 AmEx gift card (woo-hoo!). The very next day we had an inch of snow in Minneapolis and the tires performed beautifully. I felt like I was driving my wife's all-wheel drive SUV. Granted, an inch of slushy, wet snow isn't a real "test". But there wasn't a single moment where I felt nervous about taking a hard turn on the interstate that winds through Minneapolis. If I'd had my other tires, I would have been crawling through those turns, and still worried about sliding into the guard rails.

As for going down in wheel size and increasing the tire size, I've asked that question before and been shot down. I too have replaced a couple rims and it's not cheap. I just chalk it up to the downside to owning this car. I love it in all other respects so I just bite my tongue when it happens (though we don't have an abundance of potholes around us).

Tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?model=Blizzak+LM-25&make=Bridgestone&

Wheels: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake- =Sport+Edition&wheelModel=F10&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&partnum=F107811260S

I decided to order the wheel/tire combo because we plan on holding on to the car for another 5 years until our daughter can drive, and then give it to her. So I just store the "spare" tires in a corner of our garage and plan on swapping them out every six months as the seasons require.
  • gbosilgbosil Member Posts: 88
    Follow-up.. I recommend the Michelin Exalto! I put 17,754 miles on them so far and they have 7/32 treadlife left! I rotate every oil change approx 7K miles. Excellent in snow, rain and ride smooth with no noise. Only Low Profile with 50K mileage warranty. They are a "no brainer for the buck!" :)
  • donnoyetdonnoyet Member Posts: 1
    I got a call from my delaership after i left the car with them for my B12 service- that the tires are wearing out on the inside..could be mis alignment - is that common with the OEM tires. I am in socal - i am a lil surprised that i had to change tires under 30k with no snow and no winter wear...is this common with the 07 base TL OEM tires.

Thanks,
    well suffice it to say I'm not surprised that your tires wore out: I have a 08 Base TL so you must of had the same [non-permissible content removed] bridgestone turanza EL42s on your 07 base: you did much better than I did though: I had such problems with those OEMs at anything over 50mph with vibrations, shimmering, and pulling in the wheel that before I had 1k miles on them I had an adjustment through bridgestone and had the top of the line turanza serenity's put on the car: before I did this I had the tires balanced and a front-end alignment by Acura twice but it did nothing to solve the problems

was told by Acura that hopefully bridgestone would replace them because with all the problems I had they definitely would not wear properly and all that shimmering/vibration in the wheel/pedals and the wobbling/pulling to one side are all signs of out-of-balanced tires

I was completely sold with the Bridgestone Serenity's the first 8k miles I had on them: as soon as I put them on their was a worlds difference; the vibrations/shimmering in the wheel/pedals/seats all went away at high rate of speed, they were a hell of a lot quieter and the ride quality was improved; now I have about 12k miles on them, have had them balanced at every rotation, properly inflated at all times, but have begun to notice the same problems with these tires that I had with the OEM EL42s: even after having them balanced and another front end-alignment done they are now causing some vibrations/shimmering in the wheel/pedals and I'm starting to feel that wobbling ride/pulling to one side when I drive at high rates of speed above 50mph

was told by the tire store I have the rotations/balancing/alignments done that all four serenity's are beginning to show signs of wearing unevenly across the tires despite having them balanced and rotated and inflated properly: I am lucky if I get 25k miles out of them before I'll have to replace them at cost to myself and probably would be even luckier if I get to 20k miles on them before replacement

while I have enjoyed the quieter/smoother ride the serenity's have provided compared to the OEM EL42s, I am very dissatisfied that after only 8k miles they are wearing unevenly and let me tell you how happy I am that I paid only 100 bucks to have all four of these tires replaced and put them on the car: these tires without an adjustment are almost $245 a tire to have put on the TL; I would be freakin livid had I paid full priced for these serenity's, almost 1200 bucks to have all four tires mounted and balanced, and be dealing with these problems; I would have expected more considering the rave reviews that the serenity's have on tirerack.com but I guess these tires are just not a good match for the TL as they are on other vehicles, especially since they are a really expensive tire to get

so despite trying to avoid the same situation you ran into with the OEM EL42s, I will be in the same predicament as you with my serenity's at about 20-25k miles

I do believe the OEM EL42s are one of the worst tires I have ever had on any car over the years and I've read many many reviews on tirerack.com of how poor these tires are and how they wearout pretty quickly or wear unevenly: the michelin pilots you get as OEM on the TLs with technology package, while far from a great tire themselves, are superior compared to the OEM EL42s in regards to people being happier with them and they seem to last longer than the EL42s

I don't know what I am going to do when I replace the serenity's when they come time but I am definitely not putting another Bridgestone tire on the TL, I don't think Bridgestone and TL should be in the same sentence: I'll most likely try Kumho, Michelin, or Yokohama as replacement tires when the time come

Sorry you weren't able to get longer at of your tires then you did: Best of luck on picking new tires for your TL!!!
    Hi everyone,

What is the ideal tire pressure for the tires? My TL's tire pressure sensor is so sensitive and it seems like the tire pressure fluctuates so much, depending on how cold it is outside, etc. Right now, the tires are reading at 34 with the exception of the back left tire at 30. They sometimes get up to 37 if it's warm outside.

I'm confused...any input is appreciated.

Thank you!
    well Acura recommends, and it says this on a label on the inside well of the driver front door when you open it, that the fronts should have 33 psi and the should have 32 psi; I keep all my cars slightly above recommended so I've been keeping the fronts at 34 psi and the rears at 33 psi

anything more then this and the ride really begins to get choppy, at least too choppy for my taste!

actually, you didn't mention what TL you have, I have a 08 base TL with 17inch wheels; not sure what the 4th generation TL tire pressures are supposed to be and if you have a type-s the pressure is different then what I quoted
    tire pressure is supposed to change based on temperature so the changes you are seeing are normal. Fill the tire while it is cold (not right after driving) to the numbers on the car placard.
    I also put on Michelin Pilot Exalto on my 04 TL in April, 2008 and am very satisfied. These tires were top rated in a Consumer Reports issue.
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Member Posts: 34
    I think Bridgestone all season tires suck on any car. The only good tire Bridgestone makes are the Blizzak Winter Tires. That's it.
    I had Bridgestones all seasons on 2 of my vehicles and they were very slippery on the road for both vehicles.
    I think Michelins are also slick on wet roads and are overrated.
    The only all season tire I have had good luck with are Toyos & Yokahamas.
    agreed, I've never had any good luck with Bridgestone tires on a sedan before, but I have had good luck with them on the SUVs I have

In regards to traction and handling I too have found Yokies to be very good in those regards!