Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• siennatjsiennatj Member Posts: 13
    Thanks Twylie/Mac24,
    Hmm.. Looks like the Clarion sub may be the answer. Has RCA inputs so I can adjust it from the head unit. Now does it replace the existing sub, I noticed it said 96-00, I would think that it would be added to already existing non-sub full console. Is that correct and is Crutchfield the only place you've found it? THanks again.
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Congratulations on getting your winch Tom, I know you won't be dissappointed in getting a Warn. I have had my Warn #8274 for 26 years! They come in handy for lot's of things besides 4-wheeling too.
    You will love it.

dewars
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Thanks! Correct me if I am reading something into your post that you didn't intend, but it sounds to me like what you are really saying is that I can come live with you in Colorado, right? :)

You be a lucky dude to live out there!

Yeah, I'm pumped up over that winch. Now, if I could just go WHEELIN'! This is the fourth weekend in a row that I have missed, either because of the weather or because I could find no one else to hook up with. :(

I'm GOTTA go next weekend. It will be the anniversary of my first wheelin' trip. I went for the first time on February 15, 2002. It was a Friday, and I took a vacation day in order to go.

I'm planning to go to the Superlift ORV Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas, the following weekend. I'll be getting together with a couple of our family members here in Edmunds, Larry18 and eARS.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I like Tweety also - as long as it fits. I haven't been around as much recently, I've been playing with my new digital camera. Takes great pics! Now I need to go somewhere interesting. So far all I've done is take pictures of green grass. But they are now starting to mutter about the possibility of snow next weekend. Hey, all you Easterners - send some of that snow our way!
  • thebigkahunathebigkahuna Member Posts: 83
    Mtngal, you can have it. Although I do like getting an occasional snow day or two, this is getting ridiculous. They are forcasting more snow here sunday night and yet another chance next weekend. Tomster, congrats on the wheelin' anniversary! It's strange that only 13 months ago you were cleaning Thelma Jane's grill at rest stops :)
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Well,,I don't know about moving in, but next time you make a trip to Rocky Mountain National Park you should stop by. I'll buy you a pop and we can talk "Jeep"
    dewars
  • tluketluke Member Posts: 52
    Hi again to all. I just got done doing what I call "mini-mods". I changed the fog light so that they can now stay on with the high beams. That gives more peripheral light. I always found it annoying that they would go off when you switched to high beams. Total mod time for that project was 5 minutes.
    Next mini-mod was installing a pair of Buchanan seat risers. I have had them for a little while now waiting for the weather to warm a little. Well, today was the day. Total mod time for that project was about a half hour. If you are considering them you will not be disappointed with the quality. I got the 1" set as recommended by Randy, the owner of Buchanan. They seem just right. They also come in different sizes that provide more height. My '03 Sport always seemed a little low because of the revised seat height for that year. They went in easy and included all necessary bolts. Now I feel like I'm sitting at the proper seating height. If anyone else is interested they can contact Randy by e-mail at buchananprec@earthlink.net.
    'Bout time we heard from ya, dude! Come on,Thomas, get with the program and start posting again. Also, we been missin' ya at Gill's.

Tom

Ducky, hope you still read the posts here. We miss you here and at Gill's. I tried to email you, but you must have a new email addy since you moved.

LET US HEAR FROM YOU!

Tom

When I got home from work today, there were some packages on the carport. Got the winch, mounting plate, and the accessory kit.

Will install the winch Thursday night.

Yeeeeehawwww!!!! :)

Tom

• nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Hopefully we don't have to wait 'til Thurs to get some more posts. Tom, maybe you could post some pictures of the winch (ha ha):P

Rich

Off to dream of Jeep
    Yeah, it gets like this in here every so often. Don't know why that is, but it happens.

Maybe we will get some action going again soon. Hope so!

Tom

• jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    Well, I woke up this morning to find 3-4 inches of snow on top of my Wrangler. It was pretty fun getting to work...the roads were sloppy, but I didn't have any problems. Tonight, on the way home, I plan on taking some back roads that will get me out in the country a little bit. Maybe I can run into some drifts to bust through! I was surprised...I have a soft top, and was worried that this much snow would be a problem, but it is really fluffy, and it blew right off of the top. If it was a heavy snow, I might have had some problems.

Jeephead
    Ah, folks, I guess I didn't express my wish very well. I know I asked for you to send me some "white stuff" but I really meant snow. I didn't mean the sleet/ice with only a bit of snow mixed in that I woke up to! Oh well, it was a good reason to drive the Jeep today.
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I haven't been on here for quite a while, but I have been reading through some of the many posts since my last visit. Looks like there are still a few familiar faces (names) around here!

I got rid of my TJ a couple months ago and now I am driving a '03 Ram Quad Cab, but I am considering getting back into a Jeep sometime soon. I have been talking to a dealer and I believe I can get into a new Rubicon for pretty much the same payment I have now (I did have quite a bit of equity going into the deal so my payment is under $400).

Just thought I would stop in and see what was going on.
    Kevin:

YES! Get the Rubi! Come to gills sometime, dude!

Tom

Yeeeeeehawwwww!!!!!

Got that 9.5ti winch installed after work tonight. My buddy had said that we would do it Thursday night, but when he saw it in the back of my Jeep today, he got all excited and said we would do it today.

Tom

Hope to see some pictures of Thelma's new mod soon. I'll bet she's real happy.

Hope you get to test it out soon Tom.

Rich
  • earsears Member Posts: 20
    My tail pipe was rattling so I took it by the muffler shop yesterday. They replaced a hanger and solved the problem. Cost me $5. While under my jeep, the muffler guy says: “Your jeep is running hot. See how your muffler is changing color? That means it’s running hot. Could mean too much fuel or too little fuel is getting in… I don’t know, but you may want to have it checked out”.

The jeep seems to be running good. The question is; do I pay any attention to muffler guy? Do I take it into the shop based on his comment? Is anyone familiar with his form of diagnosis? Note: The muffler is an after-market one (muffler guy did not recognize it).

eARS
    It was pitch dark when I got home after installing the winch, so this is not a real good pic. I'll get some better ones in the daylight.

http://itsajeep.org/PhotoPost/data/3004/3Thelma_9_5ti.jpg

Tom

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hope you get to test it out soon Tom

Does that mean you hope Tom gets to pull some stumps soon or that he gets stuck soon?

Inquiring minds ... <g>

Steve, Host
    I think Rich meant that he hopes I get to pull out SOMEONE ELSE's Jeep. :)

But, it's OK if it's Thelma Jane that pulls herself out, because that would mean I was wheelin'. I haven't been for four weekends in a row, and it's KILLING me!

This coming weekend is my one year anniversary for wheelin', so I sure hope I can go

Tom

Enjoy that winch. That's one thing I would like to get before I get further into 'wheeling. I definitely want to be able to get myself out of things before I try stuff that could be beyond our capabilities.

ears - I have no idea if the muffler guy was right or not (does someone else?). The one thing I would say is if he did NOT offer to fix it, I would be more likely to believe him and I would probably consider having my own mechanic check it out next time it needed an oil change/servicing.
    "Hope you get to test it out soon Tom"

Sorry Tom, I was referring to getting out wheelin'. I know you have wheelin' withdrawal.

I hope the winch is used first to assist a wheelin' buddy. (pulling stumps sounds too much like work:)

Not tryin' to wish any bad luck on ya.

Rich
    lol, I may be able to find a stump around here for you to practice on Tom!

Steve, Host
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Looks good Tom! That's on my list of upgrades, at least I know exactly what it'll look like on mine :)

-Pete
    I know whatcha meant, Rich, and I'm with ya! It's terrible to go this long without going wheelin'!

I think I'll go Saturday, even if I'm not set up to meet someone down there at Turkey Bay. I'll just hang out and hope someone comes along.

Maybe I'll get lucky, though, and find someone to meet me there.

BTW, it's no disgrace to have to winch yourself out of a stuck. People who never get stuck just are not doing the challenging (fun) stuff.

Tom

Thanks. Hope you get yours soon. If you want a great price and great service too, give Bob Supplee a call.

I don't have his number handy at the moment, but if you need it, let me know.

Tom

• tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    Hey, Tom, that's a great looking winch you got there. Was it easy to install? Did Warn include everything you needed? Were the instructions clear and complete? Does the added weight make Thelma's bumper sag? Feel free to share the details- Tjray
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    I have stumps that need pulling. My place is a whole lot closer than Host Steve's so you would save on gas.

Looks good, but I have a question, who the heck is Bob Supplee in OKC? The city is about 90 miles north of where I hang out when I am in Oklahoma. Might have to go check out the shop if he has one.

Still a happy camper.
    tsjay - the only problem I can see is that everything looks too clean and new. Now go out and have fun getting it all dirty.

Just a comment on the Bridgestone Dueller AT tires I've got. Up until today I've been very happy with them - they are superior to the Goodyears on dry roads, better off-road and seem good enough (probably better) in snow. However, today I found out that they hydroplane very easily. Or could that be more because I've got the 30x9.5 tires? Or because the tires have around 15,000 miles on them? The reason I ask is because this is the first time I've driven the Wrangler in standing water on the freeways (and yes, I've owned since '98 - tells you something about the weather the last 5 years). Anyway, it was really scary in places coming home tonight.
    Lots of crazy wet weather in SoCal tonight! I actually was thinking about your commute when I saw the freeway flooding on the news. Glad you got home ok -- wouldn't be good if Tom's first use of his new winch was pulling friends out of the median.

Steve, Host
    OK, folks, the old Tomster forgot one of the rules and got "busted."

Now, don't anyone go getting upset. I was guilty of "solicitation." (No, not THAT kind of solicitation!) :) We agree to certain terms and conditions when we join Edmunds, and one of those things we agree to is not to solicit. I'm sure all of you know that I have no connection to Bob Supplee, other than being a customer of his, and I was not seeking any personal gain by posting that info on him. But, still, it was against the rules, and I apologize.

If anyone wants info on how to contact Bob Supplee, my email addy is public in my profile, so shoot me an email, and I will be glad to pass along the info.

I had some other stuff in that post, but I can't remember now what I included. I'll just invite all of you to ask any more questions that you may have about the winch.

Tom

Thanks for the good wishes - they can only help. The rain is easing off today so we only faced drizzle, light rain and some fog this morning, which means that we drove the Taco instead of the Wrangler (sigh). I just wish the snow level would drop a couple of thousand feet - it is still above us.

tsjay - I agree with Steve - I hope that you get to use your winch getting yourself out of some really tough 4x4 trail (or proving the overall superiority of the Wrangler by winching out a lesser vehicle trying to negotiate some spot you travelled with ease) and not recovering a friend from the center median of a freeway!
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Your new winch is amazing! I can see a flaw that was previously mentioned: IT'S CLEAN! Go ahead and get it DIRTY, and FAST! Hmm, I haven't seen a clean TJ in a while, and I don't like that sight.

I have a cold, and this cold is keeping me from thinking about my Wrangler. Someone please wish me well... I MUST THINK JEEP!
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    Hi all. Got off road again this past Monday. I hit Sycamore Canyon and after an hour or so of good crawling, I finally found what I went in for, a chance to see what Sedona looked like before the motels and new-agers moved in (basically wonderfully orange cliffs and red rock capped by junipers and yucca plants).

BTW, its raining here (all day so far). Do any of you use 4wd for driving in the rain? Note any difference? Just curious.
    I've never used the Wrangler's 4x4 on paved roads in the rain - I've always assumed that there wasn't enough slippage most of the time to not cause it to bind up. Also, I'm not sure that 4x4 would help you out that much if you are hydroplaning. I look at it the same way I do iffy roads - unless I'm sure it is icy or really snowy, I leave it in 2WD, shifting when I see a patch I know is bad. Now if I'm on a rainy dirt road, then it would be in 4x4.
    Thanks, Dude. Thelma Jane and I are proud of that puppy. Heck, even my puppy is proud of that puppy!

Why dontcha come to gills sometime? ALL OF YOU GUYS, come to gills.

http://itsajeep.org

Tom

Hey, we saw you LEAVE Gill's, but we never saw you come in. What's the deal? You never showed up as being in the chat room until you were leaving.

Sorry. Try again, OK?

Tom

• geepersgeepers Member Posts: 93
    The accepted wisdom is that narrow tires are better for rain and snow covered roads. It reduces the tendency for the tires to "get on top." Narrow tires "slice" through the snow and rain. Living in Seattle I get a lot of rain driving and never put it in 4X. On partially icy roads I tend to leave it in 4X unless the road is completely dry between icy stretches. So far that has worked.

Hitting a puddle at speed in the Wrangler is very scary indeed. I usually just close my eyes and hang on tight.

Gary
    Well, Peeps, I wont't be going FIVE weeks without wheelin'! :)

It's supposed to rain in the AM tomorrow and turn to freezing rain in the PM, but Ross Allen and I are going wheelin' anyway.

I'm supposed to meet my bud, Mike, that is a trail guide for the Jeep Jamboree held at Turkey Bay. He wants to do some scouting for his trails that he will use for the Jambo in April.

Last year, when Thelma Jane was bone stock except for some 31" All Terrain tires and I had just started wheelin', Mike used me for a guinea pig to see if the trail he had picked out was OK for stock Jeeps.

Mike always takes the stock Jeeps for the Jambos, because he loves to see rookies discover how capable their stock Jeeps really are.

Let's get some posting going in here!

Tom

Glad to read your post about tires. I knew about narrower tires being better for snow/ice (well, nothing is very good on slick ice) and thought the same thing would hold true for water, but didn't know for sure. And I was sure white knuckled the whole rest of the way home.

tsjay - have fun at Turkey Bay this weekend. Wish I could go with you and be the stock guinea pig this year! As it is, I'll probably head for the higher elevations and go snowshoeing tomorrow with my new digital camera. That should give me a good excuse to use 4x4!
  • shill3shill3 Member Posts: 124
    I was watching WRC (the Swedish rally) on the Speed Channel and the tires on those cars were so skinny that they looked motorcycle tires! But, man did they cut through the snow and ice (most of the cars hit well over 105 mph in the straights). I guess the long studs helped as well.

BTW, if you have never watched rally racing, give it a shot. It is not rock crawling, but watching those cars hug a corner at 60 mph with nothing but trees or hundred foot drop-offs on the other side is pretty exciting. Almost convinced me to get a Subaru WRX instead of a Wrangler ... almost.
    Why think of either/or? I'm thinking of one of each, but I don't know if I have my other half convinced yet. There is the problem of the premium gas...
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Every time you fill with premium it gives you a little pain as you look at the price you could be paying with regular.

However....... if you calculate how much gas you might use in a year, then work out how much extra you will pay using premium , I guarantee that amount will pale in significance compared to the purchase and maintenance costs for that year.

Buy the vehicle you want at a price you feel good about, then enjoy it....... be happy.

:-)
  • tjraytjray Member Posts: 38
    I have owned an '89 Mustang GT for 14 years and over 200,000 miles. It requires premium fuel (and premium insurance premiums). I just did the math and it cost at least $1500 more than regular fuel would have. I love the car, but I'm not likely to buy another vehicle that burns premium gas. That Mustang does get great hwy mpg, though. -Tjray
    I don't know if you saw my post where I answered your questions about the winch before it got zapped.

I think one of your questions was about a mounting plate. I bought the Warn mounting plate, and it cost $153. You have to have a mounting plate, unless you have an after market bumper that has a built in mounting area for a winch.

Installation was easy, and it only took about an hour and fifteen minutes or so.

The instructions were not the best in the world, but because it was a pretty simple job, they were adequate.

That's all of the questions that I remember now.

Tom

I'm not sure I agree with you Mac24. I keep pretty detailed gas and maintenance records and for 2001, I spent $921 on gas (614.3 gallons estimated at $1.50 a gallon) and $624 on other maintenance and repairs. Throw in insurance, taxes and depreciation and those costs will exceed my gas, but maybe not if I burn regular.

For my '89 van that I drove 10 years, I spent ~$5450 on regular gas and ~$6607 on maintenance.

But I'm the kind of guy who will pay more for a laser printer so I don't have to buy ink for a cheap inkjet. ymmv, and usual disclaimers about my math :-)

Steve, Host
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    tjray: Hmmm.... so you paid $1500 extra over 14 years for premium. That's just over $100 a year. Is that really so bad?

steve: Assuming a difference of $0.30 between regular and premium, you paid an extra $184 in 2001. Doesn't seem too much compared to the other costs you listed.

The point I was trying to make was that I didn't think that an extra hundred or two a year should deter you from getting the vehicle you really want. Compared to all the other costs that accrue annually an extra $200 is negligible.

But $200 is still $200...... I can't argue with that. :-)