Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 2006

Comments

• rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    First: Thanks to all on this Forum that have provided valuable information & insights.

Resistance was futile.

I ordered a 2007 Corvette C6 Coupe on Wednesday. Expected delivery in 5 – 6 weeks.
    Monterey Red \ Titanium Gray
    3LT, MX0, CC3
    - Ray
    Soon to be Corvette Driver . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • rmozolrmozol Member Posts: 124
    You won't have the fold-flat back seat though!
    "You won't have the fold-flat back seat though! "

True. And in fact there will be NO back seat at all! Something I no longer require. . .

I posted this here because some may be interested. I posted my impressions of the Corvette after 2 test drives in early July on the C6 Forum here. The market has softened somewhat for Corvettes and we are now heading into somewhat colder weather – not prime Corvette sales time. So the price offer ( discount ) now met my requirement.

While I certainly see that these are 2 very different cars in many ways ( including such basics as price and number of doors \ seats ) I do find that they share some quite similar driving dynamics. Just at a significantly higher level in the C6.

At 57, I do not know how many more new cars I’ll be able to buy. The C6 has added some essential elements I was looking for before I decided to make this “plunge”: The styling of the C5, particularly the rear, was not to my taste. The addition of the 6 speed manumatic with paddle shift was the most significant mechanical change to me. For me. ( The C6's 6 speed manumatic with paddle shift is actually a very similar implementation to the GXP ! )

Bursitis demands that I not deal with a clutch – and Atlanta area traffic means I would not want to, on a daily driver. The availability of the heated seats & telescoping steering column help make the C6 an acceptable daily driver. For me, the time had come.

Anyway, again I thank all on this Forum that ( repeatedly ) provide valuable information & insights.

I will be moving on in a while.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Still enjoying every drive in the GXP . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • snooksysnooksy Member Posts: 1
    Did this have anything to do with the computer system? Mine would do same, then computer would flash stability control off, then car would completely shut itself down. Not very nice as the steering would lock up also (try getting car off a busy street on a downhill slope with no stering) G.M techs said was a computer glitch, claimed to fix it, only to have to get it towed next day.....car is still a dealership......cause unknown..
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    Congrats. Have to let us know how it drives.

Understand the clutch and traffic. Had a Mustang 5.0 with stick and did the LA 405.....not too much fun.

Gonna keep the GXP as well?

Cheers,
    Gary
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    Don't know if this is the problem but here is a TSB related.

Make : PONTIAC Model : GRAND PRIX Year : 2006
    Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Service Bulletin Num : 3975 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 1901
    NHTSA Item Number: 10019842
    Component: SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK
    Summary:
    INTERMITTENT DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS, TRACTION CONTROL SYSTEM WARNING LAMP, SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM MESSAGE, SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM MESSAGE, DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE B1390, C0236 AND/OR C0240. *AK
    I finally got to Union Grove drag strip tonight. I was happy with what I had considering a ton of wheel spin, and lousy RT's; .6 - .3! I got 14.2 - 14.6 at 98 - 99.6 MPH. I would say that 13's at over 100 will be quite easy then. I also lined up against a Charger RT and beat him! The SRT, with 425 horses, was only getting 103 MPH for speed, which surprised me. It was 45 - 50 degrees F, and humid. I also had to sit in line for quite a while, heating the motor up. The guy with the SRT said his buddy has a GXP, and gets 12's with a cold air kit and slicks.
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    14.2 isn't bad for stock. Once you learn to hook up, you'll run high 13's. 13.6-13.8 is where most regulars hit.

You'll never hit 12's in a GXP with slicks and a CAI though. Even with a 75hp shot of Nitrous you'd be low to mid 13's.....as can be seen by Area47 at clubgp.
    I see virtually no activity here. Odd.

Anyway, just for comparison sake, I am posting my Corvette MPG from my trip to Florida over the weekend – compared to my GXP.

Trip: Approx. 725 miles, mostly over 2 travel days.

Average MPG = 28.25 ( Excel & DIC nearly identical )

My 2005 GXP ( when well broken in ) managed approx. 24 MPG, with essentially the same load & road conditions.

This trip included a couple of ‘demonstration’ acceleration runs: 15 – 95 or so. NOT exactly the best conditions for fuel economy . . .

Just another point on the curve.
    - Ray
    Car: 2007 Corvette Coupe, 6.0L V8 ( 400 \ 400 ) with six speed automatic.
    2022 X3 M40i
    Now there is! I think it's because of the way they redid the board too. I can no longer keep a link that goes directly to this board. I have to go to the main board, figure what sub category I want, then go there. More work, less activity. Anyway........ We FINALLY got some snow here; over a foot! My inital impressions of the stock front tires were ok. I did drive home on a plowed road, for only about 6 miles though. I'll get out more and drive through some drifts to see what their limits are though.
    not much activity and with the way the forums are structured now, I spend most of my time on the other forums that are dedicated to the GP.
    I finally found the "G" meter in the display too. That is nice to check braking forces and such!
    “not much activity and with the way the forums are structured now, I spend most of my time on the other forums”

Me, too.
    ( sigh )
    I have written my feedback to ( at? ) every Edmunds \ CarSpace person I can find an email address for . . .

Oh, well.

- Ray
    Movin’ on . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Anyone notice the different shade on the hood and nose of the white Grand Prix? I have a 2006 GXP if the color matters.
    not mine....and it's a 12mo old white 06.
  • chats1chats1 Member Posts: 158
    Do you think there had been damage to your car before you purchased it, and the dealer repainted the damage to the hood and nose and that's why the white color may not match? It happened to my brother's Monte Carlo. I think you should definitely take it back to the dealer and show it to them and see what they say about that. Obviously, you didn't do it!!! I think it would matter if you can notice it. But, that's just my opinion. Chats1
    No, I don't think that it was damaged. BUT, this car did sit on the lot since summer, until I bought it in Feb. If anything, the nose was redone, since the hood seems to match the rest of the car. I'll have to get an overnighter, since there's this, the power steering hose switch, the HUD box glows bright green at times, and I need an oil change shortly. I'll hit the body shop across the street first to confirm, but there's no doubt in my mind.
    That's too bad about all your problems with this car. I have been lucky, with all my complaining about that hissing/humming sound, that my 2006 GXP has been a very good car. Good luck.
    Well, they checked the paint and said it was normal for plastic vs. metal paint shade. The rust specs were caused by something falling from the sky, and adhering to the paint. Of course, the HU worked ok for them, so I'll videotape it qwhen it happens again.
  • chrisd2chrisd2 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2006 GXP,that my wife drives.Last friday she called me to help with a flat tire. Well there is no spare as you all know so I checked out the passenger side front tire and there is a dent in the rim[doesn't look that bad]. The shop where I had it towed wants to replace the wheel[List Price from Pontiac $750.00.] Has anyone else had this problem? I know there are shops that specialize in wheel repair, but don't know any. Also some help with front tire size would be helpful. I know they are 18 inch wheels and tires but am unsure of aspect ratio and speed rating.
    New to this forum,could you please suggest others that are dedicated to th Grand Prix[GXP]
    Hi! I too have a 2006 GXP. I had a piece of sheet metal in my rear tire. The gas station surprisingly was able to repair it without my buying a new tire. I was lucky. The tire is still good. I had asked the dealer for a price for four new tires and four new rims just so I would have an idea -- $4,800 plus tax, labor and balancing!!! I was just curious. The tires and sizes are as follows: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A; Front: P255/45R/18 99W/TRC 1269 -- 8 inches; Rear: P225/50R/18 94W/TPC 1270 -- 7 inches. Traction A, Temperature A and Threadwear 140. Bridgestone Customer Service No. is 1-800-847-3272. Also, when the gas station fixed my flat, the guy suggested that maybe I wanted a new rim, I said definitely not. There was nothing whatsoever wrong with the rim. Bridgestone quoted me a price of almost $300 plus for the tire and said it would have to be ordered. I have had my 2006 for a little over a year now. Any questions, just ask. Also, these tires were made especially for this car. They are not the regular RE050's. And another thing, I was told they would not be good in snow, but not by the dealer (he said they would be fine), but by Bridgestone. Last Winter I had no problems driving in the snow with these tires. This year we haven't had any snow in NJ yet, so we'll see. chats1
    Thank you for that information,I really appreciate the help. I must say I like my GXP a great deal. But I have to say the I am not at all impressed with the Pontiac dealers that I have come in contact with so far,. That goes especially for the dealer where I purchased my GXP. THe lack of knowledge about the car and attitude on the part of service and parts is depressing to say the least. I love the wheels on this car but,$ 750.00 a wheel. That seems out of line for a $33,000 dollar car. I think these dealers have lost thier collective minds. At $750.00 a wheel and $300.00 a tire doing some quick math thats 600.00 dollars labor to mount and balance four tires!!!!!!!!! Gee that just seems a little out of line. Well any way thank you again. BTW I drove mine in the snow last year and while they are not snow tires they are not too bad.
    You're welcome. The price of the tires is ridiculous, and since they don't get balanced will last only about 30,000 miles I was told. I have 20,000 miles on my GXP and so far my tires are good. I am not hard on tires. I have a very good dealer, who I have bought one Grand Am and three GTP's from since 1992 and now the 2006 GXP. They did not know too much about the car in the beginning either, but now do, and I also learned a lot from this forum -- from other people's experiences. My dealer is DeMassi in Riverdale, NJ and they also own a dealership in Long Island City, NY. They are an excellent dealer and the service dept. is outstanding.

My brother had a bent rim on his 1995 Impala SS which he refuses to sell and they wanted a $1,000 to replace it. He straighted it out himself. Maybe you can get the dent out yourself. Good luck. I at first was a little skeptical about the GXP after I purchased it, but now really like it and get a lot of compliments on it. I have only seen one around so far. They seem to be rare, which I like. My color is the Dark Cherry Red Metallic. I have everything in it except the nav system. chats1
    "since they don't get balanced "

Meaning what, exactly?
    When I had mine replaced, they were certainly re-balanced...
    And they were balanced from the factory.
    - Ray
    Curious....
    2022 X3 M40i
    Sorry. I meant "rotated." I typed balanced by mistake. Of course, they get balanced. Since they don't get rotated, the dealer told me that they would only last about 30,000 miles. I am not hard on tires and mine usually last quite a while, so we'll see. Thanks for pointing out that I typed "balanced" instead of "rotated." By the way, how is the Corvette? Do you miss your GXP at all? chats1
    Just a couple of closing thoughts –
    And to close this subject here.
    ( I’ll try to place this largely in GXP context, but I’ll admit one could argue that this is somewhat Off Topic, and [ perhaps ] I should request the indulgence of the Moderators? )

Executive summary: I am very, vary pleased with my Corvette experience, so far – and I really do not miss the GXP. Though comparisons are really moot, I did find it interesting that to obtain substantially improved performance in the areas important to me ( acceleration, handling, etc. ) I needed to give up:
    2 doors
    rear seats
    a separate trunk
    a sunroof

And: I paid almost exactly $20,000 more for the Corvette than I did for my GXP.

I monitor my car’s fuel economy – and have for decades.

My C6, in essentially identical driving and Daily Use, as my GXP was, has so far returned 22.97 MPG – in 3441.8 miles of driving.

Again, in identical driving, my 2005 GXP in the first 10 fills achieved 18.6.

This is approx. 23.5% better in the Corvette.

If I eliminate the 2 tanks of driving the Corvette to Florida & back last Thanksgiving ( somewhat atypical and 28.1 & 28.5 MPG ) the average for the Corvette drops to 22.13 MPG. This is still almost 19% better than the GXP.

Not one tank on the C6 has been below 20 MPG – and in the first 10 fills, my GXP never achieved ** OVER ** 20 MPG. Again, in virtually identical driving.

Several of “the usual suspects” are in play here:
    The C6 is roughly 400 pounds lighter than the GXP.
    The C6 is more aerodynamic.
    Also: The very wide gear spacing in the 6L80 transmission allows for both a “ye – HAW !!” first gear and a very ‘tall’ sixth gear – for very low RPM highway cruising.

At a steady 65 to 70 MPH on level road the trip computer instant MPG readout quickly stabilizes at 31 to 33 MPG.

It will pull 55 in sixth gear with no problem – and with full TCC lockup.
    ( 55 MPH = approx. 1,200 RPM in sixth gear. )

In fact, it will pull sixth from about 42 MPH – with no indications of any stress or strain. Though I would not typically apply WOT at that speed in sixth.

( 6.0L and OHV = Lovely Torque, even at very low RPM. Peak TQ is 400 at 4,400 RPM – but the LS2 also makes a bit over 300 at 1,200 RPM. Plenty to move 3200 #s along. )

I hasten to add here that I certainly did not consider my GXP to be a ‘gas hog’.
    Or anything like that.
    I was just always somewhat disappointed at my GXP’s highway MPG, given the EPA rating of 27.
    I never achieved 27 for a full tank, though I did once come close, with half a tank - under near ideal conditions – at 26.4.
    My real world experience with my GXP just did not match up as well as I’d expected to the EPA highway rating.

One reason that I mention this is that my 2007 C6 with automatic is also rated at 27 highway.
    And I can exceed that rating on a relatively long trip – even when regularly maintaining cruising speeds well above the ( up to 2007 ) EPA MPG test schedule maximum speed of 60 MPH.
    ( My typical highway cruising speed, where reasonable & proper is 70 to 78. )

Overall, I am very, very pleased with my C6. It took quite some time to reach a confluence and match of the Corvette’s attributes for my requirements and my ability to pay. In almost every respect, my C6 has met or exceeded my expectations. And my expectations were very high, indeed. I am glad I bought this car & at over 3,500 miles, I enjoy every drive.

I will likely change the exhaust at some point, just for a sound quality more to my liking ( the GXP was actually superior to the stock Corvette in this respect ! ) - and I may buy Koni dampers – but the C6 ( as designed & assembled ) is quite an impressive sports car & GT car.

Oh, and the Corvette’s tires cannot be rotated either.

Just my 0.02 gallons worth . . .
    - Ray
    Carpe C6 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Well, after we've been slaughtered here with snow so far, I can say that the stock tires are fine for me. they're not the best, but they work ok. I do notice that the inner wheels are getting corroded badly; probably from the salt.
  • haanstarhaanstar Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone done this yet? I want to drop the front end by 1" without making it ride like a hay wagon. Any help would be appreciated.
    Also I love the GXP, What a great car for the money
    Mike
    By looking at your DIC Information Center and clicking on gages, can anyone tell me the highest temperature your 2006 or even 2005 Grand Prix GXP has gone up to on the Transmission Fluid Gage. According to the manual 180 degrees to 200 degrees is normal operating range for the transmission temperature gage. My 2006 has gone up to 210 degrees in heavy traffic. Can this be a problem, but then it goes down. Thanks. chats1
  • haanstarhaanstar Member Posts: 2
    Mine has gone as high as 210 also. I dont think it is an issue
    Thanks.
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    Has anyone put a new set of tires on their GXP yet? i have a 2005, and even though we had a mild winter this year, this car SUCKED in the snow! I was barely able to get up a slight incline on snowy roads. I only have 16,000 miles on my car and have almost had it 2 years so far. i baby my car, and am not hard on the tires at all. Lately though, i find that even when starting out from a stop on wet roads that the traction control will engage when starting out, which tells me that the traction on the stock tires isnt very good.

The stock tires are Bridgestone Potenza's, and they are a summer tire. I would like to find an all-season replacement for all 4 tires, but am having trouble finding a brand that sells replacements for all 4 tires. I know that the fronts and rears are different sizes, and i can find replacements for those sizes, but I have only been able to find them from different dealers, ie, I can get Goodyear Eagles for the rears, but goodyear doesnt make any for the fronts, or I can find the fronts from Cooper, but they dont make the rear.

I was wondering if possible, what size could i go up or down to in the REAR to be able to get the same brand replacement for all 4 tires, yet still retain roughly the same look/ride height of the originals? ie, could i go with a 225/55 r18 or a 255/50 r18 in the rear? The stock rear size of these tires seem to be the one that not many dealers make.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I have a 2006 GXP which I purchased in August, 2005. This is my second winter with the stock tires and I have had no problems at all with them. Going up hills, etc., in snow. Also, my dealer told me that he could get me all fours when I need new tires and to stick with the originals on the car. I was told that they usually last until 30,000, but I am not hard on tires at all. I have almost 23,000 miles on my car. chats1
    Which tires were on your car? the Bridgestone Potenza's RE050A? fronts 255/45 r18 and rears 225/50/18? That is what is on my 2005, and looking them up on the internet yielded that they were definately a "summer" tire, and ive read some reader's comments that they are definately NOT made for snow, and others have had to replace them at 15,000 miles (mine has 16,000 now).

how much snow did you actually drive in? both times i was in over 3 inches, w/ most of it laying on the road. ive driven plenty of FWD cars in the snow, and have never had the problems getting around that i had in the GXP. It actually terrified me to be on the roads, wondering if id be able to make it home ok.
    Yes, those are the same tires on my 2006 GXP -- the stock tires. I have driven uphill on six inches of hard packed snow with ice (not plowed or salted) into the dealer's lot from the highway and thought this will be a good test of seeing how these tires perform. If I get stuck, they can just come out and help me. Well, to my surprise, the car with these tires performed superbly. Car went right up the hill with no problems at all and when I left the dealer's lot, I had to stop on the hardpacked snow because of the traffic and then I was able to pull right out with no problem. My driveway is also a hill and I have no problems. I've had no problems on the roads yet either. I know these are summer tires and was very concerned when I first bought the car and spoke to the dealer about the tires and they told me that I would be fine, but wouldn't advise driving across country with them in a lot of snow. Everytime I go for my 3.000 oil change, I ask them to check my tires. So far so good. I go again this Thurs. for an oil change and will see how the tires are. They and the rotors look fine to me.
    When I first got the car, my brother had told me that I would not have any problems which was last winter because of the good traction on the tires and I didn't and this winter I had no problems either, but maybe next winter if I have the same tires I will have a problem. We'll see. Also, I am a very cautious driver and take it nice and easy when the weather is bad. It's not worth an accident.
    In the beginning the dealer did tell me that since these tires because of the different sizes in rear and front and do not get rotated would only last about 30,000 miles. I have 23,000 + on my car.

I have had 3 GTP's before this car and never had any problems in the snow with them either and others on this site also complained about the GTP's in snow.
    Yes, those are the same tires on my 2006 GXP -- the stock tires. I have driven uphill on six inches of hard packed snow with ice (not plowed or salted) into the dealer's lot from the highway and thought this will be a good test of seeing how these tires perform. If I get stuck, they can just come out and help me. Well, to my surprise, the car with these tires performed superbly. Car went right up the hill with no problems at all and when I left the dealer's lot, I had to stop on the hardpacked snow because of the traffic and then I was able to pull right out with no problem. My driveway is also a hill and I have no problems. I've had no problems on the roads yet either. I know these are summer tires and was very concerned when I first bought the car and spoke to the dealer about the tires and they told me that I would be fine, but wouldn't advise driving across country with them in a lot of snow. Everytime I go for my 3.000 oil change, I ask them to check my tires. So far so good. I go again this Thurs. for an oil change and will see how the tires are. They and the rotors look fine to me.
    When I first got the car, my brother had told me that I would not have any problems which was last winter because of the good traction on the tires and I didn't and this winter I had no problems either, but maybe next winter if I have the same tires I will have a problem. We'll see. Also, I am a very cautious driver and take it nice and easy when the weather is bad. It's not worth an accident.
    In the beginning the dealer did tell me that since these tires because of the different sizes in rear and front and do not get rotated would only last about 30,000 miles. I have 23,000 + on my car.

I have had 3 GTP's before this car and never had any problems in the snow with them either and others on this site also complained about the GTP's in snow.
    Thats odd how differently they perform for you and I. I have had 2 GTP's and a normal GT in the past, and they have always performed well in the snow. Since these GXP tires are rated as a summer tire, its surprising how much traction they have given you.

I have a question about the size of tires and thought id post it on here. I would like to replace my stock tires with some all season ones. The rear size 225/50 r18 are very very difficult to find under the same brand name as the fronts. ie, a company might make a line for the rears, but not carry the front size under that line also. Would i be able to change the rear to a 225/55 r18 w/o any real problems? i have compared the diameters, heights, circumference, etc, and there isnt much noticable difference. That size is much more available under the same brand/line as the fronts, and would be easier to get a "matching" set (not the same size), but the same line. For example, I can get a pair of pirelli P6 "Four Seasons" in 225/55 r18 AND a pair of 255/45 r18 of the same make/model. Does anyone see a problem w/ going to a 55 instead of a 50 for the rear?
    Maybe the snow where you live is worse than where I live in New Jersey. As far as changing tires' sizes, I have no idea. My brother tells me that I am crazy if I don't order from tire rack where he gets all his tires from, but I am just going to have my dealer get the tires for me. I understand that these stock tires were made especially for this car and the dealer can get them for me. Last year I asked for a price because I had gotten a piece of sheet metal in my rear tire, but surprisingly the gas station did not think it would hold when they repaired the tire, but it did. And, that tire is still just fine. when I asked the parts dept. at the dealership for the price of a new tire, if I remember correctly, it was just under $400.00 each without labor, tax and balancing. So, I figure roughly $1600 total. I have it written down at home, but I remember that the rear tires were a little cheaper. Also, I called Bridgestone directly and the guy had no idea about these tires, but said he would have to check into them and order them and then he said you know they are expensive and would be about $300 each!!! I worried a lot about the tires after I bought the car because I hadn't realized that they were "summer tires," but after last winter and they worked fine for me, I stopped worrying. And, they were fine this winter too. A few weeks ago when I came to work the hill going down into the underground parking was all ice and not treated yet and my car I thought would skid, but my traction control started working right away and I was fine. When one of the law clerks called I told him to be very careful when entering the garage because of the ice and he said he did but went into a skid anyway!!! chats1
    My tread is still pretty good, i just want to get some all season treads on before next winter. I def. dont want to replace them w/ the exact same thing thats on it because again, they are Summer tires, not to mention more expensive than what i can get all seasons for. i am looking online (tirerack.com, etc) for good prices on tires. i just want to be sure that its not going to cause a problem if i go w/a different size in the rear. i dont think it would, esp. if i get fronts the same size, since being a FWD, the rears dont have much of a job to do in snow, etc. hopefully i can find a place online that offers free shipping too :)
    I was wondering about traction too, and we had a ferocious winter! I was surprised how good they were. I wasn't impressed, but not let down as much as I thought either. If I were going to buy winter tires, with the factory wheel, Blizzak makes a 225/50x18, which I'd put on all four corners. I suppose you could find cheaper ones too, since someone here said he got Hancooks, and they worked well. If I was rich, I'd get 4 17" wheels, since they fit, and get some thinner, taller ones in a winter tire; like a 215 or 205 60 series. This way, they'd dig better through the snow onto the pavement. I just cut a rear tire and had to buy a new one! I hope the new G8 comes with four same-size tires, and a full-size spare!!!!!
  • mcp6530mcp6530 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2005 GXP with 28k and the brakes after started making noise already. Turns out rotors are already bad along with the pads. I can't believe I need new rotors at 28k!! Has anyone had these problems already? Any suggestions on where to buy them to save some money?

thanks!
  • punchitpunchit Member Posts: 7
    I also have a 2005 GXP and changed pads at 22k. This is not unreasonable for these high performance brakes. I bought pads at NAPA that were about $30 less than dealer. Be sure to take your pads as there are 2 different part numbers for the '05. If your rotors need turning, be sure that the shop can turn drilled rotors. Good news is the replacement is a snap.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    There is a great amount of discussion on one of the other boards on the internet, which I guess I can't reference.

So I know you have to trust me on these points, but, I am very GP/GXP knowledgable so please investigate these points before blowing them off. :)

The tires that came on the car are indeed all-seasons, although they are all-seasons that are heavily leaning towards the performance end of the spectrum. These are NOT the RE050As that you can just order from anyone. Pontiac approached Bridgestone, and had this tire specifically designed for the GXP. For some reason, Bridgestone created the tire under its closest mainstream model name, RE050A, but the one for the GXP has a special design to minimize torque steer and provide more winter traction.

So how can you tell the two apart? You need to use the DOT number stamped on them.

And why don't the sidewalls show M&S rating? Because it would have cost extra for them to be officially certified M&S, and due to the low volume, they decided not to bother. But it was designed and tested to meet all season status.

I'm not arguing that they are wonderful in the snow and you are crazy if you think you need more traction. Just trying to fill you in on some of the insider history behind these tires. If you don't want to buy winter tires for winter which would be the best solution, there are other choices out there they're just hard to find.
    Well, you can call me as crazy as you want, but since this is the 4th grand prix I've owned, and the ONLY one that TOTALLY SUCKED in the snow, Im going to blame it on the tires. A simple google search for the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A will result in a "MAX PERFORMANCE SUMMER TIRE". I dont care what anyone else says, a summer tire is NOT going to go very well in the snow! I dont have to try and convince anyone of this, I'm speaking of my experience in having to drive my GXP in a few inches of snow, on multiple occasions. Ive actually taken half days off of work because I didnt want to chance driving back out in the snow on those tires! Thats how uncomfortable I felt with them. I am not looking for a ton of traction in the snow, I just want to be able to actually MOVE the car more than 1 inch per second up an incline without the traction control constantly engaging.

I am a huge Pontiac fan, but this whole experience of having different sized tires that only 1 company makes, plus not being able to rotate them, has really hindered my option of getting another pontiac after this. Why is it that the Impala SS and the Monte Carlo SS (both of which come with the same LS-4 V8) dont come with different sized, specially made tires?? Ive driven the monte carlo IN THE SNOW, and the difference was like night and day!

Thanks to pontiac for producing crappy front tie-rod ends, I had to have my dealer replace mine already at 16,600 miles. They were so bad that one of the tires even started to wear down to the belts. Needless to say, I have ordered other tires for on it because im not about to pay $250 PER TIRE just to put summer tires back on it again.
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    All valid points, without a doubt it is the least snow friendly of any GP. The tire compound, and the width, is to blame.

Pontiac did this because this is supposed to be the all-out, full performance, variant of the GP. By staggering the tire sizes, they countered the traditional FWD understeer in cornering.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I know the performance enthusiasts would not be happy if the car didn't have the maximum level of handling possible. So Pontiac is in a loose-loose. If they put all season tires on, same size around, some people complain that its nothing but an Impala with a different badge, and that Pontiac should be the excitement division. If they go to performance tires (along the lines of what you see on sports cars) then your everyday Joe hates the car.

Tough to please everyone.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is hoping to talk with current Pontiac owners who are long-time Pontiac enthusiasts. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 10, 2007 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
  • oyeah01oyeah01 Member Posts: 2
    Yes,I am over the tire issue. I just replaced my front tires at 16,000 mile after doing price comparisons I was able to get the two of them mounted and balanced for 541.00. My local dealer told me that they could've done it for 537.00. Oh well..Here are somethings I Have noticed here as of lately. When I start my 2006 GP GXP and I put it in the Manual shift position when I apply the gas it seems to have a jerky feel to it as if the engine is going in and out of the displacement mode. Another thing I noticed here within the last couple of weeks is when apply gas in manual mode there is a high pitched whining almost the same kind of sound you would hear with a turbo. It seems to be getting louder :(

Over all very happy with the power But this car is very very loud with air noise.In the cabin. It is AWFUL.

One more thing has anyone experienced an unusual high rate of oil consumption?? I am using about a Quart of oil between oil changes. My low oil light came on when my oil life info said I still had 37% left before I needed a change...
  • oyeah01oyeah01 Member Posts: 2
    I happen to work directly with a GM plant and deal with front and rear fascias (Bumper Covers). At the plant I deal with there are 2 different suppliers for the fascias so that may have something to do with it. Something else happened with paint shades not matching. Both suppliers had to make changes in their color because it was slightly different than what was coming out of the paint shop at the plant.

On the rust specs in the paint I have been told that they are from the cars being hauled in rail cars and something either in the rail cars or perhaps some iron ore dust on the tracks gets kicked up and settles on the paint.

The way to get rid of them is use this stuff called DETAILING CLAY your local body shop can tell you where to get it and how to apply.

Good Luck!!
    I just had all 4 of my tires replaced this past weekend. After having it inspected, and told that the front tie rod ends are bad, and need replaced before they can pass it, i decided to order new, better tires. I got Cooper Zeon Sport A/S all the way around. 255/45 r18 in front, and 225/45 r18 in the rear. yeah, i know the rears are 225/50 r18, but i spent many hours searching for a tire maker that not only made that size, but also made ones for the front. after exhaustive effort, i went down in size, and it worked out great. i paid $595 for all 4 new tires, including mounting and balancing. luckily my dealer told me that since the original tires had worn down due to the defective tie rods, they would help me out w/ the purchase of my new ones. they said they would have paid for 1 front original tire at $250 if i would have bought one for that price, but i didnt want the same ones on it. so hopefully they'll give me $250 towards my new ones.