Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Highlander Hybrid Bluetooth/Navigation Questions

2»

Comments

• nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    My uderstanding is that it's a map data update. I have 5.1. No 3D views like Japan on the US version.
  • bean88bean88 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks...I think I'll wait a year then. I think the new generation 5 NAVs which come on the 2007 models are a little closer to what they have in Japan.
  • navguynavguy Member Posts: 61
    The GEN 5 system shows the building footprints for major metropolitian cities... nothing 3-D.
    The DVD map disc updates are generally available in the fall of every year. The most recent update, V5.1, was released on January 9th of 2006. The map disc are available at your local dealership with an MSRP of $250.

Lastly, be careful about which version you get as there are now three different operating systems in existence - GEN 2 or 3, GEN 4 and finally GEN 5. ;)
    The US Nav disk is near max capacity, ~7Gb of the available 9Gb. Considering the US has ~3,500,000 square miles compared to Japan's ~145,000 SqMi., I think we need to wait for a major redesign before we get Japans Nav capabilities.
    Please give Toyota Customer Relations the missing street information. Please be as specific as possible and the DVD map disc version you have in your vehicle.

In regards to the NHTSB they won't get involved since it doesn't have anything to do with safety.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    And do remember you can usually get it for almost half that amount from some dealers, and on the auction sites. ;)
  • ssdsteachssdsteach Member Posts: 2
    Although I love my nav system I find it and the manual extremely difficult to understand. Oftentimes, the pics in the manual do not match my actual screens, etc. I bought my hybrid highlander in March of 2006 with a pre-installed nav system. How do I delete previously entered destinations?? When I attempt to follow the directions in the manual, all that seems to happen is that the highlighted destination to be deleted just moves up to the top of the previous destination list. Please, can someone write down the step by step instructions on how to do it?

thx so much
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    Deleting Previous Destination

Get into the NAV system.
    1. Press MENU. You will see Set Up button.
    2. Press Set Up. You will see a list of set-up choices.
    3. Scroll down about 2 or 3 screens and you will see Previous Points DELETE
    4. Press the DELETE choice. This takes you to the Prev Destinations screen.
    5. To delete individual destination, select the destination by pressing it. A dialog box comes up to ask for confirmation and it will delete the chosen destination when you press YES.
    6. To delete all, just press the Delete All button.

Toyota needs to study how Apple Computer, Inc. design User Interface (UI). Putting the Previous Destination deletion operation in Set-Up is really dumb.
  • ssdsteachssdsteach Member Posts: 2
    cdp, thx so much. Was very easy. I found that I wasn't scrolling down far enough in the setup screen. Once I did, was perfect. Can't thank you enough. One other question which may not be so easy: Once a destination is set, and you are on the highway, we had a screen showing successive highway exits in the upper right portion of the screen. My son was fooling with the system and we lost that capability. Now, on a highway we see the distance to an action in the upper right, but have lost the successive exits portion of the screen. Any idea how to get back to that view? Thanks again, you have been wonderful.

ssdsteach
    Hi, you are welcome. We had same problems last year and had to find these solutions.

First, a disclaimer :). We never change the Guidance View when only one person is in the car because it takes the driver's eyes off the road. It is a dangerous action. We change the Guidance View only when there is a passenger who knows how to change the views :).

For the guidance screen, I will assume "successive exits" to mean the "view" that shows a list of turns and exits on the RIGHT when guidance is functioning. We know how to pick the views but we notice it will automatically change. When we are far from an exit, it shows the list but when we are close, it changes to some other views. The following shows the steps we use to select views.

Enter Guidance Mode. Car is moving and Guidance is ON.

1. In the lower LEFT corner of the screen, passenger :) will see a little magnifying glass with "+", the zoom-in icon.

2. Just above that zoom-in icon is normally a circular icon with a darkened slice. This icon represents the current view of the Guidance screen.

3. Press that icon and it will expand to have 5 more View Selections, all in icon forms.

4. The fourth one from the LEFT or second from the RIGHT shows a circle with a stack of lines like "zebra" lines. Press on that icon.

5. The Guidance View will change to show you the "List of Turns" views. I hope this is what you want.

Once you know how to deal with that "View Selector" icon, you will know how to select other views using the same sequence of actions.

Note that when the car is sitting still, it does not show all 5 choices, it shows only 2 or 3. The car has to be moving and Guidance ON for it to show all 5 choices.

Hope this works for you.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    "Toyota needs to study how Apple Computer, Inc. design User Interface (UI). Putting the Previous Destination deletion operation in Set-Up is really dumb. "

Yes, Apple with the MAC and Wang with their GUIs had the whole world by the tail and blew it. Now Apple is barely able to keep afloat. I am not sure I would model anything after Apple or Wang.

HMI is a whole new ergonomics and productivity field. But hey Toyota is not the only one making mistakes, if BMW doesn't correct their I-Drive they will begin losing larger and larger numbers of sales.

MidCow
    An addendum:

My wife noticed this morning that there is also a highway icon in the "View Selection" thing. It seems the icon shows up when we are on the freeway and it shows a list of freeways connections and turns. This icon does not appear when we are driving on city streets. On city streets, only the little circle with a stack of zebra lines shows up.

So instead of 5 icons, there may actually be 6 icons. I am sure all these are in the manual somewhere but we are too lazy to read the manual :).
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    My clock, when set to auto in my NAV system, doesn't seem to recognize I am on daylight savings time and adjust properly. I have the correct date set. I can set the time correct manually, but when I change the settings to Auto in the NAV system, the time changes back.
    I got my HH in Aug, and I believe is has the 5.1 CD.

How does the clock/NAV system, tell if I should be on DST and adjust when we go off it?
    Is it on the NAV CD, or somewhere else?
  • mchybridmchybrid Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 HH with the navigation system. Is there anyway to override the lockout feature so you can search for POI's or add new addresses while the car is moving? I have a Garmin Quest (after market) in my other car that allows me to do this.

thanks
  • desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    Finally convinced the dealer to look at it. They said they talked to Toyota technical staff, and I cannot leave my DST settin on all year. I must manually turn it on (or off) on the day DST starts or ends.
    Seems to me that the system should do that for me, but...

I wonder if any owners with older models have to do the same thing? With the government changing the start/end dates for DST beginning in 2007, maybe Toyota removed the start/end dates from their system. I am curious.
  • peteaz8peteaz8 Member Posts: 3
    This and old post but I have a 2004 Prius with the Nav system and Oct. 2006 started having similar problems. Dealer wants $4000 to replace as the old unit cannot be repaired. Bought a Poloroid GPS for $400, just as good as Prius and also plays DVD's. Problem is I have no control over Defrosters, heating or Ac or Radio --Peteaz8
    The dealer can obtain a remanufactured display for much less than the cost of a new display.
  • prnd350prnd350 Member Posts: 10
    Can the nav system be installed on a base model TH? Will dealers do this?
  • jaredjojaredjo Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I just got a 2007 HH and have a few questions about the Nav system. Do you always have to hit "I agree" to activate? Is there a way to bypass that?

I have a 6 CD changer which indicates it will show the title of a song. I have put in many store bought CDs (not home burned) and it never seems to detect the title. Any thoughts?

Finally, I park in a garage. The screen starts out with a black background and then changes to white as I've been driving a few minutes. NOrmal behavior? Thanks, everyone - there is no number to call for these kinds of questions.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Hi, I just got a 2007 HH and have a few questions about the Nav system. Do you always have to hit "I agree" to activate? Is there a way to bypass that?

Yes....and No...There is an aftermarket product that automates this process, maybe called Lockpick. Try this site: CoastaleTech Or try a search for Toyota (or Lexus) Nav override. I believe it is not cheap, and needs to be instlled behind the radio. Most of us have become used to hitting "I agree", and it becomes a non-issue.

I have a 6 CD changer which indicates it will show the title of a song. I have put in many store bought CDs (not home burned) and it never seems to detect the title. Any thoughts?

Dunno, sorry, I play my iPod exclusively in the car

Finally, I park in a garage. The screen starts out with a black background and then changes to white as I've been driving a few minutes. NOrmal behavior? Thanks, everyone - there is no number to call for these kinds of questions.

Yes, It is in "night time" (headlights on) mode while in the garage, and when you get out in the sunlight, it senses that, and switches. You will also notice this at night...
  • blr24thblr24th Member Posts: 1
    My navigation system is not working correctly. It is telling me to make a right turn when in fact I should be making a left turn. Do I need to reboot the DVD or is this something I need to bring into the dealership. How do I eject the dvd if I want to try to redo it myself.

Thank you.
  • annamcannamc Member Posts: 1
    Heya! This is my first posting here so I hope I am doing this right!

I have a 2007 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (the 7 seat version if that makes any difference). I have the navigation system in it, and it seems to get really bad reception. Pretty often, it doesn't get a GPS signal and the nav system gets all confused about where I am. (It will think I'm across town or something!)

I had a nav system in my previous car (a Volvo XC90) and it just always had a signal and was always right.

I took this one in to the dealership to ask if they could check that the antenna is all hooked up right and everything. They said it looked fine (and of course, my problem is only intermittent, so they couldn't replicate it).

Anyway, I just wanted to ask whether anyone else has this problem, and if there is a solution? Is there a better antenna I could put on there or something? Thanks!

Anna
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Does the GPS icon show on the map display? If the reception is intermittent the following items could degrade the positioning accuracy: Radar detectors, FM modulated adaptors for XM, Sirius or MP3 players, electronic toll pass devices and direct connect iPod interface devices cause positioning issues when these devices are near the center of the dash. If you have any of these near the center of the dash move them to either side of the dash.
    1. Store bought CDs do not include CD text unless they are from Sony/BMG. If so, your CD drive must have the CD text logo on it to read the data. Very few OEM or aftermarket include this technology.

2. Burned CD-Rs include ID3 tag information if you used Windows Media Player (WMP) or Nero burning software. The ID3 tag will display the artist, track title, etc. only if your CD player is MP3 or WMA compatible.

3. The display changes from night mode to day mode automatically.
  • fmroczkafmroczka Member Posts: 5
    I have the 2006 HH w/ nav, but I can,t delete 4 memory points that show a flag next to address. I go to menu, set up delete previous destinations and it will delete those address, but I also have memory points which show a flag next to address that will not delete, no matter what I do. It seems like its in a permanet memory mode. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Frank
    The memory points can be deleted from: Menu, My Places.
  • CTKarenCTKaren Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 HH. When I set the clock back an hour for daylight savings, my clock on the navigation is no longer in synch. So if I set a destination that is 100 miles away and would take 2 hours, the estimated arrival time will be 3 hours out rather than two. Any idea how to correct?
  • bob259bob259 Member Posts: 280
    I have an 08 Highlander Hybrid with Nav and am trying to get it to accept my phone numbers from my phone. How long does it take to transfer the phone numbers from your phone to the Toyota phone log. It seems like it should be fast to me, but after several miniutes it still shows transfering. It doesn't say it but is there something I need to do on my phone to make the transfer?
    Toyota just released the new V9.1 DVD map disc. I picked up mine for $199! I bought one 2 years ago for $265.

I also got the part numbers for the Highlander or hybrid:

86271-GEN04-09 86271-33049 2004-2007 HIGHLANDER
    86271-GEN05-09 86271-53024 2008-2011 HIGHLANDER
    86271-GEN06-09 86271-73011 2011 HIGHLANDER
  • sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Anyone try this solution to adding Sirius to the factory head unit of a 2006 Highlander Hybrid with nav? If so, can you post a picture of the nav screen tuning Sirius. If not, does it look like it would work?

http://bruce.pennypacker.org/sirius-highlander/
  • itsnicitsnic Member Posts: 4
    Our 08 Highlander Hybrid's GPS data is not up to date. Is there a new data disc available? If so, is it eligible to be replaced under the existing warranty?
    I added Sirius to my '06 Highlander Hybrid today. Ordered the equipment from Factory Interactive for about $400 and installed myself. Ran the antenna wire from the nav/head unit to the rear roof following the DVD that comes with the kit. Wasn't very hard at all, just a little time consuming. The artist/song info comes up on the nav screen and is controlled by the factory head unit. Steering wheel controls work fine. Even works with the car top carrier on the roof.
    Anyone know how to turn off the beep every time you touch a button on the touch screen? 2006 HiHy w/Nav.

Thanks!
    The newest version V9.1 was just released on September 1st for $199. The DVD is not a warrantable item since its just software.

Since your Highlander is an 08 model year (MY) the map data version loaded when the vehicle was manufactured is probably a V7.1. Therefore, the new disc has 2 new years of information on it.

V9.1 can be purchased from any Toyota dealership for a MSRP of $199. The part number for the 08MY is 86271-GEN5-09.
    Sorry... no beep 'OFF' function on the GEN4 system in 04MY-07MY Highlanders.

The beep 'OFF' was incorporated into the GEN5 (08MY Highlander and newer) navigation system due to so many complaints about this characteristic. This also applies to the GEN6 systems too.
  • itsnicitsnic Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the information. Out of curiosity, if your vehicle is still under warranty, wouldn't Toyota provide the nav update disc under the warranty? Also, how difficult is the disc to install?
    thanks
  • austinworldaustinworld Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for posting. Please tell me if you notice any map interface difference, or if it is only an updated map data. Basically, does the map look almost exactly in V9.1 as it does in V7.1? Or does it look different? Better?
  • purplehayespurplehayes Member Posts: 3
    Hello All,

I am currently working through another issue with this truck, nothing is easy. It has not started for me once, I am on my 3rd 12v battery, my tires are done after 25k or so, my rear DVD (factory install) is on number 3 and is not working..... so now I want to change it.

I am trying to install a Kenwood deck with a new DVD, it has been suggested by the parts guy at Toyota that I would not be able to change this out due to the integration with the Hybrid system... Does anyone know about this. Additionally the only faceplate available for me is based on a non-Nav system dash which has different sized Security/Hazard/Pass Airbag lights.... another issue.

It was also asked recently to me how long the battery will last (hybrid) and from further discussion with a tech from another manufacturer it was indicated that theirs are about 10yrs and 10k to replace.

Not sure really how long I will be keeping this vehicle though in general I love it... just one of those love hate relationships. It bothers me that buying new from the dealer this thing is such a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] pretty much right from square one.

Anyway, thanks for any ideas or suggestions about the after market install.
  • haadmanhaadman Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I just bought an 2007 Hybrid ltd with navigation. Has no blue tooth, no iphone connector, no usb for my hard disk and no back up camera. Any suggestion for after market unite for this car? Do the head units of more recent higlander hybrid works on this model?
    Haadman