Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Highlander Hybrid Battery Pack Questions

ulevulev Member Posts: 57
Since I purchased my HH 4wdi non-Ltd vehicle I have noticed that my traction battery status has fluctuated from time to time.

As I read my owners manual, I noticed several apparent anamolies.

1.)my status has never gone higher than level '6'..

2)often when starting up in the morning, my status level has been @ 5 or even level 4....
I have heard a sound from under the hood similiar to a motor whine after shutting down the vehicle.

I do not leave the vehicle in 'N', always in Park and do not leave any lights on.

Why would there be an apparent 'loss' of battery 'status'?? :confuse:

Ken, care to input ?

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    Couple of answers for you.

1. The traction batteries (3 banks of them btw) are Nickel-metal-hydride, which to clarify for those who think that there is a large environmental impact for building these, there isn't. They are non-toxic and recyclable even with the non-toxic compounds. They are designed to be charged and discharged millions of times in their life cycle. They are not like a "convential" battery in that you don't charge them to "full charge" then discharge them fully. My understanding is that they work optimally between 60%-90% charge and the electronics on the HH and Prius automatically keep it in optimal charge state for life of the batteries. So answering your question, I wouldn't worry too much about not having "a full charge" on the screen as this is what is needed to have the batteries work optimally.

2. NIMH batteries discharge themselves over time and even if your status indicator showed "6" when you stopped, they will slowly discharge just from sitting. Hence the recommendation that you don't leave the vehicle sit for months at a time without starting it occasionally.

2b. The HH is similar to the Prius in that the coolant, once hot, and when you turn off the vehicle gets pumped into, for lack of a better term, a "thermos" inside of the engine compartment. This will keep the coolant hot/warm for a period of up to 3-5 days from my understanding. The reason for this is that cold starts are the worst time for any ICE (internal combustion engine) for both gas milage as well as emissions, so by pumping the warm/hot coolant into the engine when you start up the vehicle, it GREATLY shortens the time needed for the ICE to warm up, reducing emissions, and improving milage while allowing the engine to shut off sooner as it stays on to get it to operating temps as soon as possible.

What you're probably hearing is either the pump shuttling the coolant, or these vehicles also test for "evaporative emissions" from the gas tank and there is a mechanical noise, normally several hours after it is turned off when it's doing that test. This is common on most Yotas, and if you go onto the dealer lot, look on the shift lever of vehicles which have just come off the truck and you'll notice a white tag on an elastic band explaining this for the customers as it can be disconcerting if you haven't heard it before.

Hope this helps.

Ken
  • ulevulev Member Posts: 57
    Ken,

Thanks so much !!

Valuable info that I did'nt know before.

Especially enlightening was item 2b...

This vehicle is truly a tecnical marvel ! :blush:

Thx again
    Al :shades:
    You're welcome!

Ken
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The traction batteries (3 banks of them btw) are Nickel-metal-hydride, which to clarify for those who think that there is a large environmental impact for building these, there isn't."

You'll have to speak with Toyota corporate on this item; it is their own charts that show the higher pollution costs to manufacture the Prius over an ICE car, though they don't break down the reasons. One would assume it is the batteries, though I suppose it could be the electrical components...

"he HH is similar to the Prius in that the coolant, once hot, and when you turn off the vehicle gets pumped into, for lack of a better term, a "thermos" inside of the engine compartment."

I have read in these forums that the HH does not use the "thermos" system, for some reason.
  • toycashtoycash Member Posts: 139
    That's good information, but the Highlander Hybrid does not have the coolant storage tank like the Prius.
    Thanks for the update, I'll keep that in mind and confirm. If I find out differently, I'll be sure to post it here. We all learn things every day.

Ken
  • dunebuggydunebuggy Member Posts: 4
    This weekend AAA had to jump start my new HH in my garage! My wife had left the passenger side door ajar overnight. Now you would think with as many batteries there are in this car you
    should never have to jump start it! I traded a Landcruiser for this HH and not once did I have to jump start it! I don't know if this has been a problem for anybody but it sure sucks! :lemon:
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    The traction batteries have NOTHING to do with the lights when the vehicle is off. The only battery you are relying on is the little battery that boots the computer. I think that Toyota should have a safeguard against this. I once left the reading light on one night, but nothing happened.
  • tomslycktomslyck Member Posts: 70
    I bought a little inverter to plug into the outlet by the back hatch. Does anyone know whether this is powered by the big battery or the small one?
  • waltrdewaltrde Member Posts: 26
    If you are going to use an inverter I'd recommend using it sparingly when the HH is not running or buying the largest battery that will fit under the hood to replace the smallish stock 12 volt battery. All 12 volt accessories, including the power outlets are powered by the small 12 volt battery under the hood. The big traction battery packs only power the wheels. I'm surprised that people are running this battery down so frequently. The Highlander battery has to be twice of that in the Prius and I've read relatively few reports of people needing jump starts because the 12 volt had gone dead in the Prius.
  • phoebeisisphoebeisis Member Posts: 121
    Which battery energizes the gas motor starter-the small 12 volt?Hmmm,it does seem odd that the battery power would be so marginal.It takes a pretty stout battery to start a gasoline motor.I'm surprised that a door light (couple of watts)could discharge a battery like that in just 24-48 hrs.
    Now if the "traction battery" pack starts the motor,then I could see using just a tiny battery for "other stuff".
    What circuit runs the electric steering?I know the regen brake energy is sent to the battery pak.Does the battery pak run nothing but the wheels??Where does the electric steering get power?Same for the AC fan?Is the AC compressor run by an electric motor-?Does the major electric drive motor "run" anything else-you know,like driving a compressor like a gasoline motor?
    Lot of questions.Just let me know what works the starter and the power steering?Thanks.Charlie
  • greencruisergreencruiser Member Posts: 7
    I'm curious if anyone knows whether running the traction battery down is hard on it or will reduce its lifespan? In slow traffic and by driving carefully I can run on electric only until the battery indicator bottoms out, at which point the gas engine automatically kicks in. I admit it's hard to get it this low unless you're actually trying to, but its novel to run only on electricity when you can get away with it. Any opinion on whether this is bad for the battery?

(ps - I never park it and leave it in a 'run down' state)
    The 12v battery is primarily for getting all of the electronics up and running when you turn the key. It is also to keep the background electronics running when the vehicle is off. Such as the clock, radio presets, etc.

The traction battery is used to power the vehicle when moving, the A/C, the PS motor, etc.

Because the 12V battery does so little on the hybrids, they use a smaller one than in the conventional ones. Leaving the lights (headlights or interior) in most vehicles will drain the battery within 8-12 hours anyway, it takes about the same amount for the ones used in the hybrids. No difference there.

Ken
  • waltrdewaltrde Member Posts: 26
    Probably not something you want to do all the time, but the hybrid system wont let you abuse the traction battery. The computer control systems in the Toyota hybrids are programmed to keep the traction battery within an ideal range of charge and will not allow the traction battery to discharge below or charge above a certain safe point while the vehicle is in operation. This is to maximize the life of the battery. If the charge falls too low, the ICE will run to recharge the traction battery as you've noticed. The only way I know of to reduce the life of the traction battery in operation would be to block its airflow, causing it to overheat, so always keep the floor of the second row seats clear.

The only way I know of to discharge the traction battery below the safe range is to park it for a very long time in a "run down" state.
  • johnnyroasterjohnnyroaster Member Posts: 23
    Be carefull using an inverter in the HH. The max is 120 watts for the whole system. I bought an iGo from Radio Shack to power my laptop. It didn't seem very efficient to power an inverter and then step it back down to power the computer. The thing works great and also has a plug to charge my phone. What are you using the inverter to power?
    Ken, or others in the know, what company is the source for Toyota's traction motor batteries ??? :confuse:
    I'm not at work right at the moment, but as far as I can recall, they're built by Panasonic. I also believe that Toyota is a large stock-holder in Panasonic as well. If I find out differently Monday, I'll be sure to post it here.

Ken
  • jackson4jackson4 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a hybrid ten days ago, and had to go out of town for five days. This morning when I tried to start the car, the battery was dead. When I called Toyota service, the rep told me to jumpstart it, then bring it in to the dealership. He acted like he thought it was a common problem and seemed ticked off when I told him I didn't want to babysit a car so that its battery wouldn't die. I already have a Highlander and have loved it, but I don't want a temperamental car that I have to have someone come in and start for me if I go away. The tow truck driver said there was no reason that the battery should have died, as nothing in the car was left on. Has anyone else left their Hybrid for an extended period of time, and had this problem?
    I have seen two other reports of having to jumpstart the HH.After checking around one found the dome light switch had been put on ON,and the other's wife had left the door ajar.The "standard" 12 volt battery is apparently kinda dinky-absolutely no bigger-heavier than it needs to be.It doesn't have a lot of reserve.Mess 9369or so) is one of the jumpstart victims.Luck,Charlie
  • greencruisergreencruiser Member Posts: 7
    Makes sense.

Thanks
  • oldjayhawkoldjayhawk Member Posts: 36
    Would replacing the small 12 volt battery under the hood with a bigger 12 volt battery void the warranty? Probably not, but I want to make sure.
  • fizbanfizban Member Posts: 42
    Sanyo is one of the makers. Enter sanyo hybrid toyota into Google.
  • toyotabotoyotabo Member Posts: 13
    My brother wants a HH after riding in ours (non-HH) . Anyone know estimated cost of Replacement batteries five or six years down the road ? Thanks Bo
    Hybrid components including hybrid batteries are warrantied for 8year/100,000 miles

Ken
  • otis1otis1 Member Posts: 142
    Wanting to know the replacement cost of a battery is cetainly a valid concern. But I find it interesting that lots of people are hung up about this point. when ABS, airbags, or NAV or any other new form of technology first came on the scene, nobody was asking what a repacement nav computer was going to cost.

Back to your question, there are probably better folks who can answer this, but I've heard numbers ranging from the hundreds to the thousands. who knows, if you own the car beyond the warrenty period, that price might go down in 10 years should it become an issue.
  • molokaimolokai Member Posts: 313
    10 yrs/150,000 miles in green states aka Cal/NY and a few others. Not 100% sure if it is ten yrs or still eight. Definitely 150,000 miles though.
    In CA/NY the PZEV (Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle) standard means that a vehicle with that designation has a 10year/150,000 mile warranty on emissions related components. So this would include the catalysts (usually at least 3 now) engine control computers, etc. The Hybrid components (electric motors and batteries) are still only covered by the 8year/100,000 mile warranty. Keep in mind that in both the Prius and HH, the batteries are in banks of smaller batteries (Prius has one, HH has 3) These banks of smaller batteries are diagnosable for faulty smaller banks and they can be replaced individually without replacing the whole battery pack. My understanding is that after the warranty, the individual units run about $50 each, so not expensive at all.

Hope this helps resolve some of the questions.

Ken
    Thanks for the link !

"Sanyo supplies nickel-metal-hydride (NiMH) hybrid batteries to Ford and Honda, while Toyota receives its batteries from Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.—reportedly the largest NiMH batter supplier."

I believe thats Panasonic..
  • ssachnoffssachnoff Member Posts: 33
    I just bought a Targus 90 Watt inverter to power a laptop in my HH and the thing beeps crazily. Targus said that means it's overloaded but it seemed more to me like it meant that the laptop was fully charged. Now I'm reading these posts saying that even while the car is running the teeny battery powers all the accessory outlets? That seems crazy to me.
  • gazguzlergazguzler Member Posts: 137
    do you think this would hurt the traction batteries?

image">
  • my6thsuvmy6thsuv Member Posts: 2
    Hello all. This is my first post here. A week ago I bought a Toyota Highlander hybrid and the hybrid battery has yet to show a full charge. I have the nav so I have the large engine monitor on the dashboard. There are 8 levels of charge on the monitor, indicated by horizontal bars. It is also shown this way in the owners manual. It won't go beyond level 6. The sales person said not to worry about it even though it shows differently in the manual. I plan on mentioning it at my first oil change. Can anyone add some light to this? Does anyone else get the charge level up to 100%? I like this SUV a lot. Thanks.
  • discussion1discussion1 Member Posts: 103
    my6thsuv

Fullest charge we have seen is 1 bar below completely full. Color becomes green.
    Lowest charge we have seen is 2 bars left and color becomes pink.
    Most of the time, 80%, we are somewhere between 4 and 6 bars, color is blue.

We achieved "Fullest" (1 bar below full) after long descent of more than 3 miles down mountain passes.
    We achieved "Lowest" (2 left) charge after a long electric-only run of close to 2 miles over a dirt track at low speed.

The car computer automatically maintains sufficient charge for normal use, so there is no need for concern.
  • my6thsuvmy6thsuv Member Posts: 2
    Discussion1,

Thanks for your answer. With only 1 week under my belt, I have a lot to learn about this new technology. It seems as if Toyota would engineer the battery so it would except closer to a 100% charge more of the time. In traffic, a battery with a fuller charge would "call" for the gas engine less. But, I'm far from an expert and they build a wonderful car/SUV. I saw another helpful post about "normalizing" the sunroof of the Highlander. I'll be doing that before the next rain. BTW, this is the 3rd SUV with a nav that I've had and the one in this is far superior to the others. Thanks again.
  • dzdncnfzddzdncnfzd Member Posts: 34
    Part of the reason that the battery has such a long life expectancy is because the Toyota software does not allow the battery to fully charge or discharge. By keeping the battery moderately charged all the time, the battery will not degrade as quickly.
  • gburygbury Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone left the HH for a week or so? I'm concerned about leaving it for a vacation. By the way, I have almost 5000miles on my 4WD Ltd with NAV and consistently get 26+ mpg.
    Just trying to get a feel for this but roughly how far can you go-at moderate speed,say 25-35 mph-on one KW Hr?A couple of miles?
    How much energy does the battery hold-20 or so KW Hr??
    How much energy does the Prius battery hold?
    Thanks.Charlie
  • ighigh Member Posts: 60
    The Toyota's RAV4 electric Vehicle has a range of 105 miles with around
    27Kwh battery. So I would guess HH being a little heavy will get a little below
    3 miles on 1 Kwh charge.
    The HH battery holds only about 2-3 Kwh.
    The Prius battery is 1.5 Kwh.

Making these batteries 10-12Kwh and allowing them to be
    plugged in will solve most commuting needs without any use of gas.

The software needs to be changed so that ICE dose not come on as
    soon as speed reaches 35mph. Maybe it should come on at 65mph.

IG
    Thanks for the info.3 KW isn't much.I think(memory) ~750 watts=1 hp,so 3KWH is about 4 hp for 1 hr-or 40 hp for 6 minutes.I think 40 hp would be enough to push the HH to 70 mph or so..I would guess 30 mph would take maybe 10 hp-24 minutes at 30 mph-about 12 miles.
    You ae right-if you could get about 3 times that you would have a decent 35 mile range-and be able to spurt to 60+ for minutes at a time.Most folks probably commute 20-35 miles.Electricity was about 10 cents KWH in New Orleans beforethe flood-.A 35 mile commute for $1 would be a winner!!A normal V-6 Highlander would cost 2+ gallons-$6+.The HH would probably cost 1.4 gallons-$4+.
    Yep,a Hybrid with plug in capability and 35 miles worth of KWH(10 KWH) battery power would be a winner.If the electricity came from something clean-Nuclear-hydro-wind-solar,it would really be a winner.Thanks.Charlie
  • markrsmith83markrsmith83 Member Posts: 30
    Tonight I was driving home. I was on battery for the last bit into the driveway. The battery was down to 3 bars when I parked and got out to put the trash cans in the garage. By the time I got back in, it was down to 2 bars (the A/C was on).

I got in and put it into Drive to pull into the garage. It came up with the "Don't put it in Neutral, it will run the battery down" message came up on all displays. I put it back into Park, then Drive again. Same message. I drove it into the garage with the message still showing and then Park and shut down.

If it happens again, I'll be contacting the dealer.

Anybody else see that?
    I had that a few times and figured it was a nonimportant glitch
  • skip1skip1 Member Posts: 16
    I was also concerned about this since we will be driving down to Fl and taking a 2 week cruise in March. After reading the owners manual in June I was not sure if it would start, even though our 2001 Prius has never had a problem. Since I had a rental for another car we have I decided to let the HH Limited sit.

The last time I used the HH was Labor Day Sept 5 when I parked it in the garage until yesterday Morning Sept 20th. I had no trouble starting it and went on 3 short stops of about 2 miles each. I was a little worried that it might not start after I stopped, because it was running about half the time on the batteries. but no problem with it at all.

Brought it to work tonight without a problem.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I had that a few times and figured it was a nonimportant glitch"

There are no unimportant glitches. Report it to the dealer, or Toyota will never know it needs fixing...
    But I get it the same as you. It's when I'm turning off the vehicle (when it's not recharging anyway). It doesn't say that I'm in neutral. So, it could just be a random reminder not to leave the car in neutral because the battery won't recharge. Perfectly harmful.

It's clearly not a safety issue (the only real important glitch). Not a biggie to me.
  • mmreidmmreid Member Posts: 88
    I asked the dealer when I bought my HH about this issue of leaving the car parked and they replied that the HH, like any car (hybrid or non) should be driven or at least started every two weeks. The response was that it was bad for any kind of car battery to sit for too long.
    So if we are going to be away for more than two weeks we ask the house sitter or a neighbor to take turns using our cars. It's worked out in the past.

mmreid
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    There is a TSB of which i'm sure you can get a copy that recommends a specific procedure for the '04 and later Prius' if they are not going to be driven for 10 days or more; i.e. disconnecting the wiring harness from the 12 v battery up to the positive post in the fuse box. It essentially shuts down the system and is in addition to disabling the SKS button under the steering wheel.

I have not seen it on the HH yet. I will look.

kdhspyder
    Thanks fizban,

Panasonic is the other supplier as well.
  • johnbrvcjohnbrvc Member Posts: 1
    We're told the electric motor and batteries (cells) are warranteed for 8 years. This sounds good, but what does that mean? If the batteries in this car work like the ones in my cell phone or digital camera, they deteriorate with age. After a year, they may lose up to 30% of their original capacity. How will Toyota deal with a battery that has diminished capacity? Who is the judge of when/if it gets replaced? Will they even replace it unless it fails completely?
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    Two main themes came to light when toyota did initial focus groups on hybrid cars. People were worried about battery life, and they didnt want the car to look wierd like the honda insight. Many other wishes have come to light since then, however toyota took these first concerns to heart when they produced the Highlander Hybrid and its brother the 400h. Through research toyota found the optimum range of charge the battery needed for long life. That is why it never charges 100% or discharges below about 40%. By keeping the battery in this range of charge the life expectancy was greatly lengthened. The battery doesnt work like the one in your cell phone or digital camera, those batteries go thru extreme cycles that shorten their life. It will work as well 8 years from now as it does today. Toyota feels they will last the length of the vehicle. If you have your oil changes done at a Toyota or Lexus dealer, one of the items checked during the service is a 'load test' on the battery. It is checked for quality and ablility to hold a charge every time its in for a lube. If it fails to meet toyota specs im sure they will replace it. There have been no known premature hybrid battery failures on the Prius. While your battery is a new generation 650 volt system, it is expected to provide the same level of performance.
  • cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    The whole hybrid system is warranted for 8 Years or 100K miles whichever comes first.

As an earlier post suggests, no known problems with Prius' batteries yet. I know people who have kept their old Prius for 4 years and all is still well so far. A Canadian automotive magazine reported an incident where Toyota bought back a Prius taxi that survived 200K+ miles. Toyota wanted to take apart the car to learn what went so right.

The HH has 2 places to show battery charge, the NAV screen and the small status screen under the speedometer. My best guess is that if either display shows the battery unable to hold a charge, it is time to check the system. Either batteries are dying or something else is wrong. In either case, they have to repair or replace within the warranty period. This is the one time when owner and mechanic can "see" what is wrong with a car.

I believe the batteries come from Panasonic, the metal case NiMH version. Panasonic claims the battery is able to maintain 80% of its performance even at the tail end of its life. Hopefully, this is not just a boast.
  • drinkingfrogdrinkingfrog Member Posts: 8
    Thank you very much for that information on the battery. Where did you get it? I would like to know where to look for that sort of thing in the future.