Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• sandra15sandra15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Xterra. At 800 miles my engine light came on. At 900 miles my car pulled to right when I hit the brakes. Now at 1000 miles I have to take it back to the dealer to fix the same problem (pulling the right when I hit the brakes). They tell me that I am the only unsatisfied customer of a new vehicle. If you are having similar problems. Em-ail me at gozoypaz@aol.com.
    The lone rider
  • radiogirlradiogirl Member Posts: 16
    It isn't the Alpine Green...that green is very dark. This was a lighter color, like an aqua or blue-green almost. I saw it only briefly, as it was going the other way on the interstate, but it seemed very, how do I say this, like a "clear blue-green." Kind of pale. That's what I mean by spruce, like the color of a blue spruce tree. Would that be the Mineral Blue? It seems like a grey-blue to me in the brochure, which I do like. Maybe it looks spruce-blue in the sunlight. Thanks for the input!
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    My engine light came on at 500 and then off as soon as I pulled into the service lot..ha!

Annie
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Sounds like you did see the Mineral Blue! Sorry I misunderstood the color you were describing. :)
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    They are finding a lot of problems in the Xterras now. What do you expect for Smyrna, Tenn??? I could care less what the Consumer Reports article said. If you pay for something, it should not have a lot of problems. A few are ok, but not this many reported by so many people. The silent minority is becoming the majority with this vehicle. It is a shame because the Maxima and the Pathfinder are well-made vehicles with little or no major problems.

The Xterra has major issues: everything under the sun from engine lights to underbody rust to bad fuel sending units to bad brakes, etc....

Sandra, your engine light is probably due to a bad o2 sensor. The pull to the right is so common! They will most likely replace part of your braking system.

Unrealistic, the wiring is just cheap and put together poorly. I went in to a high-end shop to add a cassette player and a CB radio (SE model) and the custom installers were dismayed at the poor workmanship! I wonder what the people at the Nissan plants do all day? Scary!

My X, born on the Monday morning before the American Thanksgiving, is a mess and has spent more time at the dealer than I care to admit publically. Can thank the wife for not wanting to spend the Xtra money on the Pathfinder.

Radiogirl, thanks for the accalades. I would not buy this hunk of junk again! Would recommend you find another vehicle even if the new green/blue color is beautiful. There is a reason so many dealerships in our area have an abundance of Xterras on the lot! People are starting to catch-on to the poor workmanship.

To eliminate backlash: I know some of you like Mindie are lucky enough not to have problems with your Xterras. FEEL VERY FORTUNATE!
  • xterracopxterracop Member Posts: 14
    I recently bought the Piaa headlight upgrades from xterraparts.com and let me say they are a nice improvement. I don't know if spending 75 dollars on them is worth it but I am very impressed.

As for those that are having problems with their xterra's sorry bout your luck but I feel you are in the minority not the majority. And Nissan is always more than happy to fix any small minor problems. So either your dealer sucks or you are just having really bad luck. I would suggest calling Nissan consumer affairs if your dealer is running you around. I think the Xterra is a very well built suv and I like it better than any other I have driver. For example go to the Jeep Cheroke board here on edmunds and read all the people who have more serious problems. Now the guy who's xterra had the engine crack that does not apply to you but the other people with minor problems. Also read all the unhappy people compared to all the happy people here. I bet you will be surprised.

Paul with a 2001 XE 3 pack super black @2600 miles
    I'll start by saying that I don't regret my X purchase at all. I do have the bad sending unit, a poor dealer (service dept), and a crack in my roof that other X owners have assured me is not a big deal. But I don't come to X boards exclusively to write about my problems; I come also to learn, share, and be amused. This is where I'm in the minority.

It seems to be human nature to want to share our bad experiences with others. Because of that, this board and many others are often full of complaints. Think about the average driver of a vehicle: they buy something and have no problems with it at all - are they sitting around thinking, "hey, I should go find some people online that I can tell about my great experience!"? I can almost assure you that they are not. But then, if you do have problems with your new vehicle, you want to see if others have the same problems so that you don't feel like you're the only one getting reamed and so that you can investigate possible solutions. This is why we read so much of the "bad" about the Xterra here, but I don't think that should discourage someone from buying an X. It seems that some unsatisified people also make it their personal mission to inform everyone of their bad experiences - and not just with vehicles - people will go on about how bad a restaurant, online store, or lawn service is, too. This is fine - the more knowledge sharing the better; but readers/receivers of this information must be careful about how it is evaluated and used. Just use the knowledge you've gained here to be a more intelligent buyer and owner.

Keep in mind that the Edmunds board tends to attract potential buyers who are seeking out information and the unhappy recent buyers who come here to voice their problems. On the other hand, forums like the Xterra Owners Club tend to attract people who are already satisified with their X purchase and go there to share a combination of their good experiences, modifications, problems, etc.

Potential X owners: take everything you read here and elsewhere into consideration, but also learn to take things with a grain of salt. You have to consider the source of information (e.g. the happy owner vs. the unhappy owner) along with the information itself in order to get a full understanding of what you're dealing with.

That ended up being a pretty long note... sorry. :)

Mindie
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    i think i know what color you're talking about. i looked at the 2001 xterra when it first came out, and the dealers had very few. i was told by multiple dealers that the color you saw was only available in the first couple thousand trucks off the assembly line. there's no way to know if that's true, but i've only seen 2 with that color in over a year.
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    No problems with my X and I've given it a pretty good pounding off road. Don't know about the above post stating people are catching on to the "poor workmanship". I go off road with a number of other Xterra owners and this truck really takes a beating. Great value for the $$$. And no, the "pull to the right" is not common. In fact, of all the X boards I read, you're the first to mention it. I do know that some 01's were shipped with a bad fuel sending unit, but the dealer replaced mine in less than an hour. The X is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned (that includes Ford and Chevy 4x4s). I can go places in the X (with minor mods) that were almost unthinkable in my other truks. First import vehicle I've ever owned and I love it.
    Basically, don't pay much over $25,000 for a 4x4 SE. I got mine at Car Max in Baltimore (I live in Alexandria) and paid $25,400 out the door. That included $529 destination fee + taxes. Tags were extra ($30). Don't let any dealer tell you they can't come down on the price, escpecially since the 02's will be out by the end of summer. A 4x4 XE should be go for around $23,500 to $24,000.

And as for the engine light problem, try making sure the gas cap is on correctly (and don't go out and buy an aftermarket gas cap--it won't work). Nissan has been flooded with irate customers claiming their check engine light is coming on - only to find that it's because they didn't put the gas cap back on right, or they have added an aftermarket locking gas cap.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    So, you mean if you forgot your gas cap at the station, your engine light goes on? What gives?

I guess a rag won't cut it either, then.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    I think the deal with the gas cap is that the fuel system is pressurized. If the cap doesn't fit tightly, it throws various sensors off and the light comes on.

As far as pulling to the right (or left) goes, in my opinion, no vehicle should do that, period. My X never did. If yours does, there could be a variety of reasons, from uneven tire pressure to a problem with the brakes themselves. This is a problem that the dealer should be motivated to fix because it is a major safety concern, especially after you have complained about it. You may need to try another dealer.

I have had my X for a year now with no problems at all. I have had other vehicles that were in the shop week after week trying to fix the same problem. I have a Ford Ranger that FOUR shops were unable to fix the electronic shift 4WD. In comparison, most of people's problems with the Xterra seem minor.
    I knew there would be backlash to my previous posts. To think that I have nothing better to do than take time from my 10 - 14 hour work days to complain on Edmunds is funny.

I agree that potential buyers should be educated and should read every post, good and bad! Not every post can be good, Mindie. Basically I feel I spent good money on a lousy vehicle with a cracked engine. Nissan of America did take action, but only after a long battle with the dealer. The dealer did not want to pay for the rental and Nissan of America made them do it. Bravo for them. I agree that Nissan of America does care.

Yes, other vehicles do have problems. After this experience, I firmly think one gets what one pays for. This certainly is not a Mercedes, a Lexus, an Audi or even an Infinity.

As mentioned before, you are lucky to not have major problems with the X.

The person speaking of CARMAX in Baltimore...I have heard many say they are very good and reputable. Many at my office have used them and all had very good experiences both buying and selling vehicles. As we are and have relationships to people in the media, word spreads quickly as to who is good and who is not. CARMAX is one dealer where I have heard nothing but positives! Maybe they will buy my X?
  • parksrparksr Member Posts: 11
    I have not figured out how to remove the "plug" in the place where the pigtail is supposed to plug in. How do I remove it?
    Ron
    Hmm, not real sure if you interpreted a personal attack by me or if I'm just reading the wrong tone from you. Just in case, I never meant to imply that you have nothing better to do with your time than complain about your X; I merely sought to point out why some people (and certainly not just you) do complain about their vehicles on these boards. I wholeheatedly agree that everyone should read the good and the bad and evaluate it all. That's what I was trying to convey in my prior post, though maybe I didn't express that as well as I meant to.

On another note, I disagree with you anticipating and pointing out "backlash" against your post. Isn't the purpose of a forum like this one to share information with each other, especially if we disagree? Again, I might just be reading you wrong, but the bad connotation of the word "backlash" being used in this instance bothers me. Couldn't we turn it around and call your posts the "backlash" to my posts saying how great the X is? Leave it at differing opinions, and don't fret when people disagree. We're really not backlashing against you.

In case I've never mentioned it before, I'm sorry for all the problems you've had with your Xterra. It's a shame that you've had to go through dealerships and NOA to get anything done. Hearing your stories does make me thankful that I don't have problems with mine.

Mindie :o)
    Yeah, I bought my X at the Baltimore Carmax (they have a full service Nissan New Car Dealership there along with the used cars). Personally I thought they were great. I had a 00 Frontier that wanted to trade in on the X and they gave me way more for it than any of the local dealers would here in the northern VA area. The price on the window is the price you pay. Take it or leave it. No haggling at all. Plus, they'll buy your used car even of you don't buy one of theirs. They also have financing available and the whole transaction took maybe an hour (it was a really busy Saturday when I went) so a weekday might take even less time to complete a purchase. I'd definitely buy from them again. No stress at all.
    If you want to unload your X I'd say take it to them and they'll appraise it and cut you a check right there if you like their price. I thought it was more than fair for my 00 Frontier.
    Point well taken and I am fine with what you said. Peace.

CYGNUSX1: CARMAX is looking better and better everyday...another satisfied buyer. As I said before, they are highly respected for service before, during and after a purchase. I think it was a very wise move to buy from them. Where are they in Baltimore?
    They are actually near White Marsh mall. Go their website and they have a map on how to get there from I-95 north. It was pretty easy. Like a mile or so off I-95. If I could find it then anyone can.
    I called CARMAX and they gave me a great quote on a Pathfinder with no hassle! Their "No Haggle" prices are very competitive with dealerships where one has to bargain. To prospective buyers: remember to get a signed sales order (by a manager) faxed to you before going. This will mitigate risk of a bait-and-switch. The signed sales order is the acid test in most cases.
  • maccmacc Member Posts: 11
    Help! I have a 2000 xterra with factory roof rack (removed the basket) and when I'm driving on the interstate and go over 65mph the roof rack makes this awful wind noise. Any suggestions on how to eliminate this (please don't suggest driving under 65 or turning the radio up!).? I need help soon - going on a 1200 mile trip and don't think I can stand that noise for that long!! Thanks (please email to maryac@aristotle.net
    When you removed the gear basket did you put the tie-down screws back in? If not, the empty holes will cause wind noise. I'd put the gear basket back in, tighten down the tie-down hooks, and then start by using a little clear grease/vaseline over any screws or holes. Or, your wind deflector may need a bit of readjusting.
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    same ol.. same ol.. as far as the roof whine, besides the screws, check the rubber edge at the bottom of the deflector. Is it still there ? Is it touching the roof ( where the 3m tape is ) Could be the source of it.
    Found out one thing, just a suggestion as we hit the summer months & higher temps. Check the rubber strip, it seems to loosen its hold on the deflector with the heat, I might advise removing it, and re-installing it with the help of some black silicon.. maybe saving you from losing it further down the road.
    You could also try re-positioning the cross bars on the roof rack. Maybe that would change the sound level.

Hey, xcanuk, I wondered what happened to you.
    But out enjoying the lack of any problems with my X. The bikes are on the roof, and figuring out how many X get togethers I should go on. :-)

One thing I forgot for the whine, while you are checking the screw holes, check the screws on the crossbar if they are snug. They were another source way back when... remember to use the torx screwdriver in the kit.. ( I'm amazed how many new owners haven't checked the kit )
    All the suggestions are great. In addition, Nissan also makes a new plastic molding to fix that. Check with your dealer if the other mentioned options do not work for you. This is a standard and minor fix.
  • hahnster1hahnster1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Xterra XE 4 cyl. Overall, after 27,000 miles, I love the Xterra. My only complaint is that it really gets blown around in the wind. Does anyone else have that problem or is something possibly wrong with mine?
    Its a tall, flat side, 4x4. Its not an X thing, its a SUV thing. Just continue to drive accordingly. After a good while, you won't notice the wind at much at the right speed. Check your tire pressure, it will make it swing/sway less.
  • radiogirlradiogirl Member Posts: 16
    What I considered a "new" color for the X is indeed the Mineral Blue. Saw one up close today and in the right light, it looks like a shimmery blue-green. I thought the Salsa color was more of a red-brown and when I saw it today it looks more like a cranberry-type of color. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions to help solve the mystery (or so I thought)! I'm hoping to get my X in another month or so. I've started batting around a few prices with dealers via e-mail to get a feel for things. Saved an ad for Mike Pallone in Springfield, VA, from a few weeks back and will see if they'll work with it still. You never know and asking doesn't cost anything. These two legs of mine are strong enough to walk away from a bad deal.
    Installed my hitch today. Only took about 2 hours and went on smoothly. The instructions were clear except that they did not specify the need for a DEEP 18mm socket to remove the bumper. Had to make an unscheduled trip to the store for one. Otherwise, if anyone is thinking about doing this yourself, its very do-able.

This is the first vehicle I've had with the spare underneath. I dropped the spare to put the hitch on. What a Rube Goldberg device.
    They put the spare underneath for safety. Indeed, it is hard to reach, but is pragmatic. If the spare were on the rear hatch, the vehicle would be a death trap in a rear-end collision. If not a death-trap, damage is more prevalent. The RAV 4 and others made that mistake. Jeep used to put the spare in the truck itself, but that used a lot of cargo room.

Motor Week (TV Show) and Motor Trend (Magazine) blasted rear hatch designs and are telling people to avoid these. In this case, Nissan did a smart thing.

Driving in the wind: xcanuk is right on the money..most SUVs do this. Tire pressure is also very key to handling.
    I guess with the light weight rear bumper etc., the spare does help protect the X, but it is a dirty option. Its worth lowering it every so often and give the chain & crank a good lube, I found it binds with road grit.
    I also bumped up the locking pin ( a brass square washer ) that raises the spare, I read a few comments that it only takes a little wack with a hammer to lose your spare. I little protection helps.
    Maybe it would be nice to lose the spare General Grabber AW? Saw them for sale today..only $62/tire.

Thanks for the tip, xcanuk. Will start to lube underneath get a better locking pin soon!

Did you need to change your tires or do you have the '00 model with The Longtrails? Still saving for the BFG AT ko, but someone told me the Pirelli Scorpio is just as good? Any suggestions?
    BFG A/T's are the standard upgrade ( most who into moderate offroad go for them ) TrXus are the up and coming replacement, slightly more aggressive and still road worthy, Pirelli Scorpion's are up there as well, can't go wrong with any of them. I'm still with longtrails without any complaints, but I also have a/t's and duelers, all with rims. ( Each for its purpose )
    As far as the spare protection, the fix is easy, an oversized heavy washer to protect that brass sqaure washer tab is all you need, I'll try to shoot some pics tomorrow.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Now, HERE is an outside mounted spare system:

http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/tubework/bumpers.htm

I assume this is to protect it from damage on trails and also make it easier to access (for damage from trails!).

THere's few people onthe xoc board who have had a company make a custom swing away arm for the rear hatch. It works, but I've heard you really have to keep on the company and track your order or it might not get done. The other option is to get a safari basket roof rack and mount the spare up top. There is mounting hardware available to secure the spare to the roof basket. Having the spare underneath is less then desireable if you really go off road.
    The outside mounted spare system looks great!

As for the tires, the BFG AT kos are going for well over $160.00/tire while you can get the Pirelli for 88.00 - $99.00/tire. Here is one URL if anyone is interested:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com

Do a search by brand.

Sears sells the same model for $60.00 more/tire.

Speaking of trail damage, QVC, yes QVC has an awesome scratch remover (patented to just QVC). After trying many national brands on a deep and a stubborn trail scratch, I saw a scratch remover advertised on the QVC channel and gave it a try.

This stuff takes out the meanest trail scratches better than anything I have ever seen! Put on a fresh coat of wax after removing the scratch and the X looks like new! QVC sold out of the item but expects a new shipment soon.

• deecrxdeecrx Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen the new Salsa color? My dealer told me it was a maroon type color, which is what I want. But on the Nissan web site it looks like an ugly tomato color. It is not listed under the Xterra section but it is the same as the Frontier. I would appreciate anyone telling me what they think.
    I have a silver ice, but we have a neighbor on our street with a salsa color. Shined up, it looks really good, but after a few days it really just looks kind of like a flat dark red color. I went with silver because you can barely see any dirt on it and it's a metallic paint so it always looks deep and shiny. But that's just my personal preference. The salsa is a cool color, but like black, you'll have to wash it a lot to really keep the deep color showing. Call a few dealers and ask them if they have any salsa's on the lot - then go have a looksee and see what you think. Of course, all shined up at the dealer it's going to look really good.
    Some have posted regarding wind noise. There is a new Dam Seal Protector available from Nissan. If the noise bothers you, Nissan has to, by law, replace this for free:

Service Bulletin Number: NTB00092
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 187
    Date of Bulletin: 0011
    NHTSA Item Number: SB618791
    Make: NISSAN TRUCK
    Model: XTERRA
    Year: 2001
    Component: STRUCTURE:BODY ROOF
    Summary: SERVICE BULLETIN REGARDING CREW CAB ROOF RACK AIR DAM SEAL PROTECTOR REPLACEMENT.
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Seriously considering a 4X4 2001 Xterra - but what do you all think about that V6 engine - 170 up is weak by just about any other competitors standard - especially if you live in or visit a higher altitude location - new 2002 turbocharger is a less expensive way to boost horses as developing a new engine - also most tub's require premium gas - much! - and I would guess $1600-1800 for this option - Xterra no longer becomes such a bargain. What you think?
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Spell check garbelled my posting - so here is a more literate version.

Seriously considering a 4X4 2001 Xterra - but what do you all think about that V6
    engine - 170 hp is weak by just about any other competitors standard - especially if you live in or visit a higher altitude location - new 2002 turbocharger is a less
    expensive way to boost horses vs developing a new engine - also most tubo's
    require premium gas - ouch! - and I would guess $1600-1800 for this option - Xterra
    no longer becomes such a bargain. What you think?
    Can't comment on the effects of altitude but I personally find the current engine to have plenty of power. I wouldn't want to drive a heavy truck that fast anyway. It's a very strong engine for offroading, if that is your desire.

The supercharged X will need premium gas. That would kill it for me, because I would probably also be very heavy on the pedal to enjoy the fun factor. (Not that the 2000 isn't fun to drive.)

If you do a search, you should be able to find reviews of the supercharged 2001 Frontier which uses the same engine. It got generally OK reviews, I think, but it didn't knock anyone's socks off. Plus, I prefer the look of the 2000s and 2001s. JUst my opinion, of course.
    At prices today, this would kill it for me, as well! Would rather spend the money on other mods.
    If you want power, buy the Pathfinder which also requires premium gas.

How about some more posts to keep this board alive?
  • xeroxero Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know if the Xterra Pet Divider will co-exist with the Rear Cargo Area Protector?
    Yes, the two can be used together, but some minor cutting is invloved. The X-Pet divider is also a fixed install, meaning its almost bolted into place. ( behind the rear seats only )
    If you don't plan to use the full length of you cargo area, its great. If you want the option of using all your space, go with the varied other dividers that are pressure fit.. a little easier to remove in a pinch.
    I use a cargo net and/or the basket net.. works for me, can always have it with me, can be used with seats up and down, it keeps the dogs under control, but not 100% if you are in an accident.
  • xdreamsxdreams Member Posts: 7
    Is the fixed one the only one available exclusively for the X? Just got a new chocolate lab, and I will need one (pet divider) soon, but don't want to attach it permanently. Still, I'll need something sturdy. Maybe something's wrong with my X? Haven't noticed any whines, squeaks, or cracked engines after 1500 miles? and loving every driving minute! How long do I have to wait to wax it? Any suggestions?
    The Nissan Xterra pet divider is the only "fixed" one that I know of. ( Pics can be found at xterraparts.com ), if you spend a little time in a few pet stores, or on line > petsmart.com etc , there are 101 variety of dividers, most are quite sturdy and will fit the X without a problem.. the most you will have to know is the dimensions you want to block.
    You can wax the X at any time, the paint is cured by the time you got it.. and I share your grief.. nothing wrong with my X either.. except my oil gets dirty and has to be changed from driving it so much.. how lame is that..
  • taylairtaylair Member Posts: 3
    I just got a 2001 Xterra the other day,& I was wondering if anyone has removed their roof rack front air dam? Does it make the vehicle look any better? Does it affect gas mileage?
    Thanks for any feed back,
    Taylair
    Nissan indicates the dam is there to promote a more even air flow over the truck (greater aeordynamics).

I would be surprised if it affected gas mileage, but who knows? Most of the magazine articles state the truck was engineered using state-of-the art computers in California. Maybe the Nissan engineers know something we do not?

I do not think it looks any better with the air dam off, but that is a matter of opinion. If you have a sunroof, it may be a good idea to remove the silly clothes basket.

Saw a mounted spare on an SE Xterra (no pun intended) roof today. Asked the guy to showcase his truck. It had every mod imaginable including Bilstein Shocks, Goodyear MTs, manual hubs, a modified exhaust, modified air intake, a Jim Wolf Pop Charger, and front and rear brush bars that looked ferocious. He said the Pop Charger gets wet when driving through mud/water and has problems.

His next mod is to drop the Frontier supercharged engine into the X. To top it all off, he does the work himself! Talk about skill and shelling out serious bucks!
    My problems pale in comparison to these other boards..look at the posts and read in horror. The Ford technicians even post their frustrations. Thank "you know who" we did not buy a new Ford Product.

Have a good weekend, all!