Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• loux94loux94 Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions for replacing the rear speakers at minimal cost? I don't know what type or brand to look for. I would like more treble and bass, but don't want to install a huge woofer. I prefer to put the new ones in the same cargo area speaker wells.

I also must say that I've had my 2000 XE-3 Alpine green Xterra for a year and a half and love it--no problems and no regrets--only maintenance has been oil changes. I guess the only criticism is better rear sound.
  • xdreamsxdreams Member Posts: 7
    If you're having problems with rear sounds, see a proctologist, don't go blaming it on your X!
    ; D !

Can anybody in the midwest recommend any offroad trails that I can get to from northern Illinois? I tried the XOC with no luck on suggestions. Want to test "ol blue out on some trails.

Happy Memorial Day, everybody! (canadians, too)
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    We had our long week-end last week.. so we work Monday, keep the dirty side of the X down, but make sure to get the rest of it dirty as well.
    As far as speakers, try crutchfield.com..they will give you a fit chart. People have been putting in Polk & Boston's. ( That sounds like an old rock group ) .. but if its good tunes you are after, work on the fronts first.. the rears are only fillers.
    Can't help with trails.. I know there are a few X's your way, but don't know where they go.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    It is of no use to put in new speakers if you have the weak 12 watt factory radio. As a very successful custom installer recommends, put in a new radio and see how the factory speakers sound. They may sound much better! The speakers are not bad, it is the radio that is the problem.

Not knocking the Nissan radio as most manufactures use weak radios. They expect people who care to upgrade the systems. Cost savings at its finest.

If you still do not like the sound, then replace the speakers after upgrading the radio. The wiring in the X is a total mess, so I suggest using a good professional and replace some of the wiring with a thicker guage. If the person is good, money should not be an issue.

Again, at least we do not have the Escape. Take a minute to look at those posts.

Hope this helps.....
    The stock speakers are paper.. very low on the pole.. more people start with the speakers and let the stock radio drive them... speakers are what is going to cut out first before the radio.. and are the source of the distortion. I believe ( on the 01 models anyway, most head units are 100W ) But that's only my 2 cents.
  • nittanyxnittanyx Member Posts: 1
    Hey all, 1st message on the board. Thanks for all the info you post, I have been researching Xterras for the past few months and the posts were very informative. I am now the proud owner of a Cloud White, SE Xterra, 5 spd. This truck rocks! It is so nice and smooth ride. I think the power is fine. (I traded in a 92 Nissan SE King cab P'up, similar engine and trans, so I knew what I was getting).

One question...has anyone had any issues with spilling windshield washer fluid on their grilles? When I bought mine, the grille had been stained around the refill port for the windshield washer fluid. The dealer replaced the grille and we looked in the owners manual and it says to use caution when refilling as full strength fluid will stain the plastic. Anyone heard of this, or had this problem? Other than that, this SUV is the best out there. I rode in my friends Cherokee and it was so small and the ride was terrible. She was jealous of my X!
    Anyway, thanks again for the info. Now I know what you guys have been bragging about!
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    I've heard about this before. I think Nissan put a Technical Service Bulletin out about it for the dealers. I don't know what it says, or what is recommended though. I would check with the dealer. Maybe its something simple, like avoid a particular kind of fluid. I've not had a problem with mine. I just use whatever blue stuff is in the basement, or the yellow cold weather stuff in winter.

Right now, the only "stains" on my X are water stains from the total washout Memorial Day weekend we are having in the northeast.

Enjoy your new X! Another 5 speed owner. Welcome aboard!
    Huh? Head units of 100 Watts? I do not think so, but this would be very cool if true. Maybe the guys who do the custom installs for the American Feds do not know what they are talking about, but they sure have a great repeat business! They gave me this advice.

Anyway, just trying to save the other person money and trying to offer an alternative. Maybe this person should replace both the radio and the speakers?

Only problem is the '01 SE radio controlls reside in the steering wheel. Trying to install a new radio to work with these controls is not an easy thing to do. This can get quite expensive unless you are well-adept and have the patience to do your own custom installs.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I would go with some upgraded speakers first. Just remember, you are in a truck on the road, so quality isn't a HUGE issue, but you can improve somewhat. You might be just as well off with some Walmart Jensens for that matter.

Washout? Not on Cape Cod!!! I need an SUV!!! We went off the beaten path a few miles in our 96 Jetta, and finally had to back up about a mile and then turn around once we hit some deep ruts. Any decent 4X4 should/could have made it through. It was more a clearance rather than traction issue. Probably could have made it with a 2wd truck with positrack as well.

In any event, the Cape is beautiful, and the weather was great!!!
    That's what it says here on Edmunds for the X. 100 watts output, so upgrading the speakers would probably be better (and easier). Just got a squeak in my accelerator pedal this weekend... shouldn't have mentioned no squeaks...darn, where's that WD40? and I guess I'll need some zip ties pretty soon.
    Is the Edmunds article incorrect? The dealer told me 25 Watts today for the SE 6-disc CD Changer??? I am confused!

If it is truly 100 Watts, then just change the speakers and the system should ROCK!

The dealer also told me the owner's manual is WRONG pertaining to switching from 4WD high to 4WD low. The manual indicates the truck should be in NEUTRAL when makling this switch.

Problem: the tramsmission is still spinning even if the vehicle is not moving and the gears grind when making this switch.

Solution: To counteract this, put the vehicle in park to switch from 4WD high to 4WD low and vice-versa. I called Nissan, spoke to one of the engineers and he told me the same thing. Nice thing about Nissan is you can get an actual engineer on the phone.

Hope this helps some people who think there is a problem when, in fact, the owners manual is wrong.
    I don't know where I got the 100W rating, but 99% sure it was in the brochure.. '00 had two systems, depending if it was an XE or SE, '01 all got the same power.. but I'd have to dig out the info.

Again I'm on the other side from you msiseng, I would "NOT" put the tranny in "park" while switching from 4H to 4L... ever bind your tranny while parked on a slope ? You'd be doing the same while switching 4H to 4L. ( unless you are on level ground ) In neutral & in park, the tranny is disengaged, so I don't see the advantage. If you're right.. I'm really unlucky because I don't have "park".. I drive a stick.
    To avoid the grind, do it quick, and pressing down on the 4H-L shifter helps. The only time I had trouble getting into 4L was when I realized a cup I had in the cup holder was stopping me from having full travel of the stick ( manual's have 3 cupholders up front, the 3rd one at the base of the shifter )
  • acioneacione Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone,

First of all I want to tell you that all of you do an awesome job in posting info to this board. I was in the market for a car, and was checking around and fell upon this board a couple weeks ago. I read as many posts as I could, and yesterday decided to buy the 01' Xterra SE. This is my first new car!! Yeah.. I think I got a decent deal.. I paid 23K for it. let me know!!

Thanks to all of you for your help. I also wanted to let you know that the Stereo is a 100 Watts as per the 01' Xterra booklet.

Questions:

1. Is there a break in period for the engine? any suggestions on how to take care of this engine from day one.

2. I know this is a SUV and not meant for speeding but what speeds can this baby handle. I took it to about 65 yesterday and it didnt feel smooth, I am hoping it is because it is brand new and needs to broken in..

3. Also does anyone have any info on the extended warranties. I did not get the one at the dealer thinking I coulf get it cheaper outside.

Thanks again, and I look forward to reading and contributing info here.
    Break in is about 1000 miles, its outlined in the manual ( which you should read ) basically being gentle with it and keeping it below 60. Consider your first oil change shortly there after.
    The first thing to check it the tire pressure, dealers are known for over inflating them. suggested is 26lbs ? (manual ).. I keep mine in the 32lb range. That would explain the rough ride.. (plus its a truck, so the ride will be a little different ) I've had mine up to 130kph (80mph) on some dry straight roads.. which also explains the sucky gas mileage.. its an easy cruiser at 120 (70mph)
    Extended warranty,.. check out xterrastore.com they used to have the best deal.. but haven't checked their rates lately.
    Enjoy it..
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Congrats on your purchase! I hope you end up loving your X! I'll take a shot at your questions.

1. Nothing official that I know of, except that I remember reading somewhere to avoid revving to/over 4000 rpm (at least with an automatic) for the first 1000 miles or so.
    2. When I first got mine, I thought it seemed rough over 65-70 mph as well. I think after you get used to driving and controlling it, that uneasiness goes away. I can handle 75-85 on flat roads with sparse traffic with no trouble. I've heard of others going faster.
    3. I don't have one myself, but I think you might find a good deal from www.xterraparts.com and/or www.xterrastore.com. I know at least one of those sites has been mentioned before for warranty deals.

Have fun X-ing!

Mindie
    congrats! got my X in February and I'm still Xcited about it. I was pretty careful with the break-in process and didn't push the speed, but one other thing that the owner's manual mentions is to make sure to vary your speed during break-in. For me, with lots of everyday urban driving that was no problem but I made sure not to engage the cruise control for that first 10K. After that, you're cool. Hope you love it as much as I do, and remember to wave to your other Xpals.
  • edmundedmund Member Posts: 2
    100 watts refers to the stereo's PEAK power which which is only attainable at a small musical burst. The figure 100 comes from the sum of 4 channels (25 peak watts X 4 channels). Still, 25 watts per channel is a PEAK figure. It is often very misleading. The normal output or RMS power is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-15 watts per channel. If you were to upgrade the speakers you would notice a tremendous improvement in the sound.
    On my previous post of switching between 4H & 4L, I read a few posts where other X'ers do put it in park for an easy switch.. maybe I jumped the gun, sorry msiseng. I personally wouldn't do it, but some do. With manual tranny, I did find pushing down on the lever does help though.
  • radiogirlradiogirl Member Posts: 16
    Today I got an offer for an XE auto 4wd 3-pack for $23,400 plus taxes & tags (about 3.2% taxes, tags about $40.00). I went to the buying service's dealer and they gave me the same vehicle with floor mats, microfilter, body moldings, splashguards and that application package (inspection, stuff you don't need)for $24,186. Well, after taxes, the difference is as much as $800 for only $100-odd worth of options! The buying service dealer was very nice when I said I wanted to sleep on it and said that if I had any questions, to call him, since he didn't want to lose a deal over a few hundred dollars. I don't think he realized that while his price is cheaper than stated retail, he's way off the mark w/this other offer. He's closer to home than the other one, tho' the other offers service loaner vehicles, oil changes, etc., for two years. Problem is, I have a mechanic whom I love and would rather pay for peace of mind than have to actually leave my car, get a loaner, etc., for car work. Sometimes the free stuff isn't worth the hassle so I'll pay $19.99 for the oil change.

Now, both dealers are telling me that w/the end of the month, they're inclined to move things, but I'm wondering if I should maybe wait another month or two. I think the cheapest offer isn't bad, I'm just trying to pony up extra downpayment money to ease the payment pain, but probably won't have it by tomorrow. Does anyone know if the 5.9% financing is set to end after this month, as the dealer suggested? Do you think if I called Nissan North American headquarters they'd give me the real deal? I may sound like a sap about this, but in educating myself I'm also realzing why it's been 12 years since I bought my last car! Thanks to anybody offering advice!
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    X'ers,
    I see that there are many 'frequent names' in this community and I for one am thankful that you all answer everyone's questions with honesty and swiftness. I am a Marine in Brazil working at the American Embassy and I have not been to the states since 99. Excluding this past December (2 weeks at home in Dallas). I am going to be working in NY just outside the NYC region and was wanting your expertise on some things. I am talking with a dealer in Dallas now (because I can get a better price vice buying in NY) and will be purchasing one in September.
    1. Would you all think it is wise to buy a 4x2 knowing you will be spending the winter in NY?
    2. I do not want to be hasseled with the dealer because he thinks I am young (24) so all y'alls information would help.
    3. I have read many notes in this community regarding the XE vs SE, but what about 4x2 vs 4x4? Would I really be 'falling off' the road in the winter if I do not have a 4x4?
    From y'alls past notes I already know that the sound will not be of the highest quality, so maybe later on I will upgrade. Also in regards to getting a 'best buy'...How do you all approach a dealer if you are going to have let's say a $15,000 down payment. What can you expect and what would you expect?
    Thanks for all the information and I am looking forward to future scrutinization as well. A generation 'X' kinda guy, Semper Fidelis.
    To answer your questions 1 and 3, I will use a post I put up in the Ranger area:

I used to drive a 78 Dodge Magnum in the winter on practically bald tires (in college, no money). Just load the trunk with weight (sand is also good for traction, firewood for fires).

If you only drive in mild to moderate snow, you should be fine with a decent set of SNOW TIRES. If you plan on driving in deeper snow, you'll do OK with CHAINS. Positraction always helps too, with baldies, snows, or chains.

I live in MA, and am deciding the same thing. The only difference is that I ski, and would venture out during/immediately after a blizzard and I plan to go off road as well. Still, 4X2 vs 4X4 is a tough decision.

I was just down to Truro on the Cape last weekend, and took the Jetta as far as she could go into the off road area before backing up a mile or so and turning around. It was more an issue of clearance rather than traction.
    P.S. Thank you for serving our country.
  • acioneacione Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my Xterra over thw weekend and got the 5.9 % financing and heard the same story aboutthem having to get rid of stock by month end. Remember the Xterra 2002 comes out in August and I think they are getting reday for the new models. I got a SE with protection package, microfilter, incabin dimmer, etcc.. for 23K. maybe this will help you decide.
    I don't see why the dealer would hassle you because of your age.. maybe your bank or who ever will do the financing due to lack of credit rating will, but the dealer will be happy to sell you one. Deal for $$ of the X first.. how much you have to put down is an after thought to the deal.
    As far as the 4x4, 4x2, IMO.. for the price difference, you'll benefit more with the 4x4, extra traction etc., it will come in handy and more than likely get you out of some slippery situations. The 4x2 is capable, but it doesn't take much to slip the rear end aroud. In either case, I'd suggest winter tires.
    My personal opinion is that you will want the 4x4 in NY. Let me tell you about my first experience with my truck after it was officially mine. I live in Kentucky, and while we don't get tons of snow, we do get some. I got my X for Xmas - my husband had hidden it from me in his parent's garage. There was a little snow on their driveway, and as I backed the truck out and then tried to drive up the hill to get out of their driveway, my rear tires just spun. I backed up a little, tried going forward again on a slightly different line, and spun again. Finally, I put it in 4hi and got out with no problem. To be fair, we also have to consider that this was the first truck and 4x4 I'd ever driven, and I was limited in the space I had to move around in because there was another car parked in the rear of the drive that I had to maneuver around; maybe without these circumstances I wouldn't have needed the 4 wheel drive. But still, I needed it just to get out of the driveway. I've never needed to use 4wd during normal driving in the snow, but KY snow isn't the same as NY snow, so I can't really make a fair comparison there.

Even a 4x2 X is pretty capable offroad, but there are limits; I suggest that anyone who has the slightest inkling that they may go offroad, no matter what part of the country they're in, get a 4x4. While I've heard several X owners who wish they had bought the 4x4 instead of 4x2 (and some who have actually traded in for it), I've never heard anyone complain that they should have saved the money and gotten a 4x2 instead of the 4x4. I'm of the opinion that I'd rather *have* something that I rarely use than *wish* I had it when I need it. But that's just me.

One other spin: in considering resale value of your X, if you're still in NY, most buyers will value the 4x4 while ignoring 4x2s.

Hope some of this helps you out. Good luck with your decision!

Mindie
  • mooky64mooky64 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post so thanks to everyone for the information you've given.

As for being hassled at the dealer, I've got all kinds of horror stories to tell and age had nothing to do with them. I live in Southern California and X's have been way too popular for a decent deal until recently. I saw an add for an 01, SE, auto, 4x4, that was $3500 off MSRP.

When I was in the Air Force they used to have discount purchase plans for new cars if you were stationed overseas. Do they still have that? Also if your not a military Credit Union member, I'd join one, since their rates are usually better. If you're a member of AAA, they have a list of prefered dealers. They supposedly sell the cars at a fixed price above invoice. Get a pre-approved loan for around $12,000 and with your $15,000 down that should cover the X plus taxes, etc. The dealer may try to beat the Credit Union's rate. If they can, great, but make sure to compare all the #s between the two loans.

I would also go with the 4x4. I think you will need it in NY and you never now where you'll end up next being in the military.

Hope this helps.
    Apology accepted. Just trying to help others with the information the Nissan engineers relayed to me.

Also, I knew the 100 Watts was not right. There is no way the system is 100 Watts. Edmund was correct: 4 channels (25 peak watts X 4 channels) = 100 Watts. A true 100 Watt radio would blow your eardrums and would most likely need a very expensive amplifier.

For the person who got the SE for 23K - You got a deal! Yes, Nissan wants to get rid of the '01 model because of changes to the '02 models.

Make sure the X was not "Born" in the month of November, 2000, where they had the highest turnover at the Nissan Plant in Tenn. Mine and some others made in this month tend to have the most problems. The X's made in other months seem to be fine. Call Nissan and give them the VIN number to find out when your prospective or new X was "created."

Got the Neoprene seat covers, the electric cooler, the rear cargo mat and organizer, the top bike racks and installed Bilstein shocks today (what a difference). Next up is a menacing Bull Bar that will not interfere with the airbag deployment a new air intake and a new exhaust.

Getting a bit carried away?

Peace to all.
    Nissan of America will not give you a deal on pricing. This would be counter-productive for them. Think about it strategically. They let the dealers buy from them and take it from there. They are there to answer other questions (e.g., warranty, service schedule, product features, etc...) and are very responsive.

An oil change should only cost $12.99 the Washington, DC area if you bring your own Mobil One oil (HIGHLY SUGGESTED). Change the oil after 1,500 miles to get all the metal filaments out of the oil pan. If you watch them do it, you will be astounded at how much metal is removed. This is true of any new vehicle, not just the X. Changing the oil this early also let's them see if the engine has other problems (like cracks or bad belts).

There is nothing wrong with taking the new X to your mechanic for minor issues or routing oil changes. In fact, you may want to bring the X to your mechanic before you purchase! Many people do this. If the 4WD or the tranny has problems, then use the dealer.

Any dealer will pay for a loaner if you have warranty issues....just have to make enough noise and call Nissan Of America everytime the dealer will not meet your needs. Nissan of America calls the Service Manager and insists you get the loaner for what they call "customer satisfaction." Unfortunately, I know this process all too well.

Nissan's CEO mandates 100% customer satisfaction due to all the competition and all agents who answer the phones will literally do whatever is needed (within reason) to retain you as a customer. This mandate is in a memo form which I am still trying to get my rep. to send :-)

Bottom line is: the dealers usually try to do the least for you and the corporate customer service is a refreshing deviation from my dealings with Ford over all the Explorer issues.

I hope this board becomes more active as more people are purchasing this month! Next month they may give the X away. I still cannot believe 23K for the SE including taxes and tags?
    I live in NY and wouldn't think of buying ANY 4x2. I am in upstate NY (the Catskills) where we get a LOT of snow and I think that 4x4 is essential. I have driven 4x4s exclusively for a dozen years. While it is true that you can get traction with weight in the back and/or chains, its much easier to just throw it in 4 wheel drive, especially if you also have dedicated snow tires.

If I did not have a 4x4, my next choice would have been an all-wheel-drive like a Subaru or Honda CRV. I think you'd be better off with any front-wheel drive car as opposed to a heavy, 4x2 SUV.

In addition, I think the 4x4 will have better resale value. Lots of people (like me) wouldn't even consider a used 4x2.
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Anyone on the board in Florida? I'm looking into an X and was wondering if anyone can recommend a dealership? I'm in mid-southeast florida. THANKS!!
    Well, I still wouldn't shift into 4L while in Park, but since I've got a manual tranny.. I'm not worried. The 100W.. it depends what side of the fence ( & brochure ) you're reading.

As far as the new brushguard (alum.) and the airbags, found out something interesting.. if a Canadian dealer installs a pre-alum guard (waag for the most part )the owner has to sign a waiver.. never heard of this, or anyone doing it state side. A side note.. the airbag is triggered by G-force, but it relies on the front of the X to crumple.. in effect slowing down the x until the "g-force stop" is reached. Any bar ( steel ) would trigger this "G" earlier, and deploy the bag earlier.
    I thought you were getting rid of your X msising, but you are building it just fine. I've got one of those coolers as well, great while driving, bad when stopped for an extended time ( unless you want to run down the battery ) I thought I could load it with ice as well, but you can't.. oh well, it was a freebie. The seat covers are the best, bikes on the roof are where they belong ( as long as they aren't anklebiters and you are at least 6' tall )
    Got lazy this month, dropped by my dealer for the oil change, lucked out.. they gave me a free nissan camping chair.. gotta love free stuff
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    Just as I had anticipated you all came through with flying colors! Yo all gave me information that was imperative, informative as well as well sourced! I like the silver Ice color as well, very trendy and millenium'ish. Not to mention I do not know what color everyone seems to be buying but I have never actually seen one in that color driving on the roads this past December. I have another question.
    1. If you, the now proud owner's of the Xterra had the choice of buying again what would you change about your buying experience. What would you look for, what questions would you ask and what would you expect from the dealer?
    As you may know I have never bought a new car as this will be 'my first' so I would like to ease into it based the pricesless knowledge that you are filling me with. I will most likely go with the 4x2 due to the fact that I do not do much 'off-roading' and I do not persee the snow getting worse that what tire chains and a great snowtires cannot handle. I am a snowboarder by heart though so I will have to climb the mountain at some point in conditions that may be less that favorable, but I have faith. Not to mention I am sure insurance and gas will be a big savor for me in the long run because when I get my use out of it, I can upgrade at a later time. But I think the deciding factor was the fact that I do not go off roading, only weekend camping, fishing, hunting and the seasonal ski trip. But once again, thank you for the advice and for you 'sahsquatch_2000' I am proud to serve as long as it means you can write this email and know that you are free. Just a bit of motivation because I have been all over Russia, Europe, S. America and the Orient and I can truly say we in the States and even Canada, kiddin') have it good. I am thankful that people like you actually take the time to thank me for doing my job. It is no problem, I would do it all ove again just to hear someone say that.
    Sleep tight all...
    Sergeant of Marines...Jason W. Banks
    Just realized that you'd be lining up for an '02 model, so an extra little digging for info will be needed around July / August. FYI, the looks ( front ) will be different, the interior goes through a makeover as well.
    Going in knowing the truck, packages, prices and other various details are your best line to getting your X, buying the X can be painless. Not letting the dealer push you around due to ignorance is the key.
    Given your activities, I'd reconsider your 4x2 choice, don't think of the prime benefit of a 4x4 for offroad.. in my case, I use/need the 4x4 primary for on road driving, following the same activities you mentioned. Honestly, I can't remember if there is a great gain in MPG with a 4x2, some insurance classify the X in a catagory, not by version.
    We all have it good, although our military consists of a couple of big sticks and a case of beer ;-) eh.. but we could invade you guys and no one would believe it... what, Canada invaded the U.S... nawww.. by the time we finish taking over, everything would be converted to metric and no one could figure out where we are.
    G.Luck
  • 2negril2negril Member Posts: 1
    Last night I bite the bullet. Big ups to all of you who post for helping me make (what I think) was a great decision. Armed with my edmunds.com printout for a Mineral Blue '01 Xterra EX V-6 4 x 2 w/the 3 pack, side moldings, micro-filter, floor mats and splash guards, I first got a quote from carsdirect.com.

Called three other area dealers, got quotes, and settled on Esserman Nissan in North Miami for a pp of $21650 (before tax and title). Carsdirect price was $21488 but added $500 extra into the tax and title figure. (Gotta watch how they play with those numbers). Another dealer said there was no way I could get a price like that and I should drive the sixty miles to their showroom to negotiate the best price. (yeah, right).

Anyway, if your in South Florida and want a fair deal with an honest sales person, go see Gary Archibold, Sales Manager at Esserman, and thanks again everyone!
    Seems to be the most popular color in US. Or maybe that was Solar Yellow, I forget.

I actually had a pretty good buying experience so I wouldn't change anything. As I did before, I would go in armed with the invoice price and knowledge of any factory to dealer incentives, etc. and bargain up from there. If a dealer gave me grief, I would simply go to another or even consider buying over the internet. Be prepared though, if you've done your homework, you may know more about the X than the salesman does. I did, so I knew that some of the answers I was getting were just plain wrong.

I know it's your $$$ and your decision but I feel very strongly that a 4x2 would be a mistake in NY. I'm not an off-roader either.

Whatever you get, though, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and we'll welcome you to the club.
    Kept the X because I cannot return it under the lemon laws in Maryland yet. I figure the modifications will make life easier and the X more palatable. You are right about the waag, most places in the states make you sign a waiver, as well.

For the person asking if we would buy an X again, I would not, but I seem to be in the minority. Just got a lemon made on a Monday before a holiday. The good old people in Tenn. were off drinking Jack Daniels that morning or hung-over from the night before drinking in the corn fields. Luck of the draw.

Worst Nissan will do is drop in a new engine which has already been half-way replaced (everything except the engine block itself). Last thing they want is a person with media ties going after them.

Look what is happening to Ford. Think they are selling Explorers now? Think Firestone is selling tires now?

Drew once stated that the public has a short memory, but once published in print, damage is irreperable.

The stock price and earnings quarter over quarter drive decisions. One bad article can drive earnings down and the senior management knows this. You think they want to keep their jobs? Ford Executives will be on the job market soon. If you really have quality, why make the slogan: "Quality is Job One?" Do you see this with Mercedes, Lexus or BMW?

OK, I am totally off-topic. Enjoy your Xterras and keep up the modifications! Let us all know if you dream-up better mods or find good after-market parts.
  • xtirol9xtirol9 Member Posts: 27
    This is my first time posting so hi to you people. There was a post earlier saying that the Pathfinder needed premium fuel? I believe that it can run under regular but premium for optimized performance. I can't wait for the '02 Xterras. They are simply going to rock!
  • rhinelanderrhinelander Member Posts: 1
    Please take note. The seats in my experience SUCK!

For the 1st. hour or less it's "OK" however take a longer ride watch out!

With these seats it's a short trip unit. I'm looking for a replacement seat or some type of add on fusion. It's not me only. My passengers also complain about them.
    The Pathfinders do need premium fuel as well as the Infinity QX4 (the Pathfinder's older sibling). The '02 Xterra with the supercharger will also require premium fuel. The other '02 Xterras will not require premium fuel unless you add a Jim Wolf Pop Charger for more power. This will void the warranty according to Nissan. The '02 with the supercharger is fully warrantied and is now used on the Frontier with the strong, muscular front-end. Reviews of that have been very mediocre. My friend has a Frontier the supercharger and it is much more costly at the gas station. The powere increase is a little better, however.

If you find good replacement seats, please let us all know. The only replacements I found were over $1,000 USD/each. The dealership said they could custom fit the Pathfinder seats or the Quest seats, but this would cost over $1,200 for each seat. This would also require removal of the center console on the SE model.

You may want to go to a Healthy Back store to purchase foam back and rear-end support as an intermediary step. This helped me and some others on other Xterra/Frontier boards.

Thanks
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    and I still love her..the Solar Yellow is fun..easy to spot at the mall (giggle) and hard to blend in..

I do not like the look of the back but love the rest..it is a great vehicle..rides nice and I am fine with the seats.

I am getting about 320 miles to a tank..gas is 1.73 here..wowow!

Annie
    I bet you could get the stock seats reupholstered or stuffed with proper cushioning in the right spots for maybe around $100-200.

Good luck.

P.S. I like the "distinctive" look of the back.
  • kahuainakahuaina Member Posts: 2
    you get 320 miles per tank? really? hm. i don't think i've cleared 250 once. do you drive an auto- or a 5speed? i've got an '01 SE v6 4x4 (just blue, btw :)). then again, i've been told i can be a little aggressive with her sometimes. heh. what are most of your averages?

sadly, my 3month old X had her first accident, and is now having the suspension replaced. :(

aloha
    My jaw's dropping at the idea of 320 miles on a tank too. My light usually comes on between 240 and 260 miles. I think that once I got it up to about 295 before filling up, but that was stretching the warning light out 40-50 miles. I've got an auto SE 4x4 V6. I'm not too aggressive most of the time; stick to around 70 mph on the highway, and I don't do a lot of city driving. I also have to deal with reformulated gasoline most of the time, as that's all that's available in my county, and that runs mileage down a little. For what that's worth...

Mindie
    I bet if you dropped to 55-60 for highway driving, your mileage would improve DRAMATICALLY. This is important with poor aerodynamic vehicles like SUV's. I think it is an inverse squares law at work here.
    Yeah, I know it would. But going 70 in the slow lane, I'm already about getting run off the road. I'm really not that concerned with the mileage anyhow; I knew when I got my X that I was gonna lose the great mileage I had from my little, old Accord. Most of the time, going faster and getting there sooner is more important to me than driving slow and getting better mileage. It's all a trade off that I accept. I was just sharing my experience. :o)
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought a hitch for my 2000 X and noticed that the spare tire is slightly in the way. I have not figured out how to lower the spare. I'm usually quite intelligent enough to figure these things out but stumped at the moment. I would appreciate any helpful hints.
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Are you OK??

While they are replacing your suspension, ask for the "Bilstein" Shocks and new Torson Bars. Did your tires make it? If not, ask them to replace the $41.00 ($30.00 at wholesale) General Grabbers with something road-worthy.

There could be a silver lining to this black cloud :-)

Have seen a lot of the Beautiful Green X's lately..they look NICE!
    What kind of hitch did you get? To lower the spare, you need the long rod with the little "T" on the end from under the carpet in the cargo area. The "T" goes into a slot in the middle of the rear bumper. Sorry, I forget exactly where the slot is, above or below the bumper or what. The rod goes pretty far in and then you take the lug wrench (also under the carpet), slip it over the bar and spin. WEll, actually, the first turn is pretty hard. Then the tire just cranks on down. Get a flashlight and look into the slot first and it'll be clearer what you have to do. I think the owner's manual describes it well too.

As far as gas mileage goes, put more air in the tires, that helps too. I'm now getting 22-23 mpg with the stock Long Trails at about 34 psi. I generally fill up after 300 miles, it takes around 13 gals so there's still 6 gals in the tank, you do the math.
    I posted at the same time with the same info as Silverglider so, I edited out the repeat info.., it does help putting in the rod through the hole in on an angle. The chain does get stucked/jammed at times, at which point, I usually give the spare a good nudge ( you might break a toe if you try to kick it ) I've mentioned this before, its worth lowering the spare, if anything just to grease the chain & pully.
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll give it a try this week and hopefully will have some sucess. I was amazed at how tight a fit this hitch was with the spare being there. It also looks as if some manipulation around the tail pipe may be in order as well. Time for some busted knuckles!!